home
RSS
June 14th, 2013

Superman: Flying to a church near you

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

Baltimore, Maryland (CNN) - As the new Superman movie takes flight this weekend, filmmakers are hoping the Man of Steel lands not only in theaters, but also in pulpits.

Warner Bros. Studios is aggressively marketing "Man of Steel" to Christian pastors, inviting them to early screenings, creating Father’s Day discussion guides and producing special film trailers that focus on the faith-friendly angles of the movie.

The movie studio even asked a theologian to provide sermon notes for pastors who want to preach about Superman on Sunday. Titled “Jesus: The Original Superhero,” the notes run nine pages.

“How might the story of Superman awaken our passion for the greatest hero who ever lived and died and rose again?” the sermon notes ask.

(Disclaimer: CNN, like Warner Bros., is owned by Time Warner.)

Similar campaigns to corral the country's large number of Christians into the movie theater have been used for "Les Miserables," "Soul Surfer" and "The Blind Side," all of which had at least some faith angle.

Baltimore pastor Quentin Scott is among dozens of ministers who received an e-mail invitation from Grace Hill Media, a Hollywood-based Christian marketing firm, to an early screening of “Man of Steel.”

“There was an actual push to say `We’re putting out something that speaks to your group,' ” said Scott, one of the pastors of Shiloh Christian Community Church in Baltimore.

At first, Scott said, he didn’t buy the religious pitch. Then he decided to attend a free midweek screening in Baltimore.

“When I sat and listened to the movie I actually saw it was the story of Christ, and the love of God was weaved into the story," said the pastor.

"It was something I was very excited about that with the consultation of our senior pastor, we could use in our congregation.”

CNN Entertainment: 'Man of Steel' director Zack Snyder on Superman's Christ-like parallels

Grace Hill’s sermon notes are specially designed for churches like Shiloh that integrate multimedia into their services.

“Let’s take a look at the trailer for `Man of Steel,’” the notes suggest after briefly introducing the movie’s history and themes.

The man behind the notes, Pepperdine University professor Craig Detweiler, has prepared similar material for films like 2009’s "The Blind Side" and "The Book of Eli" from 2010.

The spiritual themes in “Man of Steel” are abundant, Detweiler said, and his notes enable Christians to thoughtfully engage with pop culture instead of shunning it.

“All too often, religious communities have been defined by what they're against. With a movie like `Man of Steel,’ this is a chance to celebrate a movie that affirms faith, sacrifice and service,” Detweiler said.

It will be hard for even casual Christians to miss the messianic metaphors in "Man of Steel.”

The movie focuses on the origins of Superman, who was sent from the planet Krypton as an infant to save his species.

He is raised by surrogate parents who help him grapple with his special powers, even though they don’t fully understand the source of his extraordinary abilities.

When he turns 33, Superman must willingly sacrifice himself to save the human race.

Sound familiar?

If that’s not enough, as a boy Clark Kent is shown wrestling with his superpowers, and asks his earthly dad, Jonathan Kent, “Did God do this to me?”

“Somewhere out there you have another father and he sent you here for a reason,” says Jonathan Kent.

Even the visuals hammer home the messianic motifs.

During a fight with his archenemy, General Zod, Superman plunges down to Earth, his arms outstretched as if he were being crucified. Of course, he rises again.

Detweiler writes in the sermon notes, “What Jesus and Superman both give us, through their `hero’ actions but also their `human’ actions – is hope.”

“I think it’s a very good thing that Hollywood is paying attention to the Christian marketplace,” said Ted Baehr, who runs Movieguide, a website that reviews family friendly films from a Christian perspective.

“Where it gets sticky is when they try to manipulate the market and when Christians try to manipulate Hollywood. But here I think we have the right balance.”

But other Christians are heaving a supersized sigh at the movie marketing.

"Any pastor who thinks using `Man of Steel Ministry Resources' is a good Sunday morning strategy must have no concept of how high the stakes are, or very little confidence in the power of God’s word and God’s spirit," writes P.J. Wenzel, a deacon and Sunday School teacher at Dublin Baptist Church in Ohio.

"As they entertain their congregants with material pumped out from Hollywood’s sewers, lives are kept in bondage, and people’s souls are neglected," according to Wenzel, who said he was e-mailed information about the movie.

Scott, the Baltimore pastor, said he knows that Warner Bros. Studios has a financial incentive in pushing the film to pastors.

But he said that’s fine with him. “They’re using us but in fact we’re using them,” he said.

His church won't show clips from the movie this weekend because it had already planned out its service. But he plans to use them later, during meetings with the church’s men’s group.

“If you give me another opportunity to talk to someone about Jesus Christ, and I can do that because of your movie, that’s a win for me, because it is about spreading the Gospel.”

CNN's Erin McPike contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Celebrity • Christianity • Church • Entertainment • Media • Movies

soundoff (6,545 Responses)
  1. I am

the CNN troll. Check out my work on This Just In, Politcal Ticker, and Marquee, among others. I'm posting from my sister's house in Reston, VA, but that's not my only residence. A good troll travels!

June 18, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • lol??

The NSA nose knows all.

June 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • I am

Pshaw. They don't care about some dipshit troll.

June 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
  2. the AnViL™

those who believe in the existence of imaginary men in the sky are delusional and should be prohibited from voting, serving on a jury, running for or holding any public office, purchasing or owning firearms, teaching public school or having any contact with children under the age of 18.

tolerance of religious idiocy has to end... and it is.

enough is enough

June 18, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • Awwwwwww

So cute!

June 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Awwwwwww

the AnViL: "I can't make any impact in the real world, so I'll attack delusional people on the internet."

What grade are you in?

June 18, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

anvil,

Isaiah 29:16

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • the AnViL™

Awwwwwwwtard ignorantly spittled "(nothing significant)"

no surprise there.

HeavenSent retardedly posted "(worthless idiocy)"

exactly what we've all come to expect. again – no surprise.

June 18, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

the AnViL™

Religious idiocy is no worse than general idiocy and if we're going to take idiots off the electorate, there'll be about three people left on it.

June 18, 2013 at 7:57 pm |

anvil, learn ...

01347 // Nwag // ga'own // gaw-ohn' //

from 01342 ; TWOT – 299e; n m

AV – pride 20, excellency 10, majesty 7, pomp 5, swelling 3,
      arrogancy 2, excellent 1, proud 1; 49

1) exaltation, majesty, pride
      1a) majesty, exaltation, excellence
      1a1) of nations
      1a2) of God
      1a3) of the Jordan
      1b) pride, arrogance (bad sense)

June 18, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Death to Religion

There's over 30 million people smart enough to be atheist / agnostic. So you're off by a factor of 10 million there, chief.

June 18, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • lol...wut?

HS, what is that BS you keep posting??

June 18, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Death to Religion, are you telling us there's over 30 million people LOST?

June 18, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
    • huh?

"01347 // Nwag // ga’own // gaw-ohn’ //

from 01342 ; TWOT – 299e; n m

AV – pride 20, excellency 10, majesty 7, pomp 5, swelling 3,
      arrogancy 2, excellent 1, proud 1; 49

1) exaltation, majesty, pride
      1a) majesty, exaltation, excellence
      1a1) of nations
      1a2) of God
      1a3) of the Jordan
      1b) pride, arrogance (bad sense)"

Explain this. I want to learn. This makes no sense to me.

June 18, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • the AnViL™

huh?

June 18, 2013 at 11:56 pm |
    • tallulah13

Hey, HS. How's that kangaroo thing going? Any progress?

June 19, 2013 at 12:33 am |
    • HeavenSent

tallulah13, you posted"Hey, HS. How's that kangaroo thing going? Any progress?"

Answer: Thanks for inquiring, I know that I don't live in denial (lie) in thinking I was born a kangaroo.

June 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

huh?, that's the definition of Pride that Jesus used in that particular scripture.

June 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • HeavenSent

the AnViL™, you posted to huh? "the HeavenSent-tard is spittling strongs numerical concordance BS. it's useless half-baked drivel.. the sort the delusional enemies of reason think is just the coolest.

Answer: These definitions are on every Christian site. Strong's Concordance is an excellent reference to use. Thanks for mentioning it. As for thinking it's half baked drivel, you should learn that Hebrew and Greek were some of the oldest languages. Hence, what the English used. Being American we speak/write English? Or, are you just miffed that unbeleivers didn't write anything, thinking their ancestors were swinging from trees. LOL

June 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
  3. One one

Does this passage mean that if a person believes in Jesus he will not be judged ?

“John 3:18 "He who believes in him is not judged. He who doesn't believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God."

June 18, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jesus judges the righteous. He already knows unbelievers wasted oxygen while on earth, He buses you off to summer school for 1000 years, ensuring your sin of pride was left on earth.

June 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • One one

@heavensent, nice attempt at dodging the question. I will take your response to be "YES". After all, it is "the word of god" and you wouldn't want to go against that, right ?

June 18, 2013 at 7:49 pm |

1 Peter 4:17-19

17 For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?

18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls [to him] in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

One one, read the Day of the Lord, while you are at it, thank your parents for believing Jesus. Most likely they will be the souls that ask Jesus to let you attend summer school for 1,000 years w/o your pride to block your hearing of His truth..

June 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • sam stone

HS: One click and you could be on your knees in front of jeebus. Don't waste another moment. Cvnt

June 19, 2013 at 7:46 am |

Philippians 2:10

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;

Amen.

June 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
  4. Vic

I am in awe of God Almighty, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the Lord Jesus Christ

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgjFfgS--GA&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiTmqrQ5bLU&w=640&h=390]

June 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • Vic

June 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm |

John 3

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • Death to Religion

You are a brainwashed idiot and are blinded by your religious fantasies. Don't try chewing gum or you might fall down.

June 18, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
    • Athy

I'm in awe that anyone can be that deluded and unable to think logically.

June 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm |

Athy, here's your song:

(Scarecrow Athy)
      I could wile away the hours
      Conferrin' with the flowers
      Consultin' with the rain
      And my head I'd be scratchin'
      While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
      If I only had a brain
      I'd unravel any riddle
      For any individ'le
      In trouble or in pain
      (Dorothy)
      With the thoughts you'd be thinkin'
      You could be another Lincoln
      If you only had a brain
      (Scarecrow Athy)
      Oh, I would tell you why
      The ocean's near the shore
      I could think of things I never thunk before
      And then I'd sit and think some more
      I would not be just a nuffin'
      My head all full of stuffin'
      My heart all full of pain
      I would dance and be merry
      Life would be a ding-a-derry
      If I only had a brain

June 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The Ebola Virus (Under the Reign of King Cyrus), we all know unbelievers are the whiners of this world.

June 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • Webster

Heaven Sent:
      "I could wile away the hours"

It's "while away", not "wile", in case Athy doesn't bother to read your silliness.

(I'd love to see a test of your pea brain versus Athy's - never mind, we already have... you've lost a thousand times over)

June 18, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • HeavenSent

E B noxious, you should read His truth.

Revelation 20:10

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Webbie, go whine to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) folks to find out you have the audacity to critique their masterpiece.

June 18, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • Webster

HeavenSent,

You did not get that set of lyrics from MGM.

June 18, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
    • The real Tom

Only an imbecile like HS could copy and paste lyrics to a song about someone else's lack of brains and fail to figure out the "wile" isn't the correct word. What a friggin' tool. Athy wipes the floor with her daily and she still doesn't get it.

I hope someone else is caring for her pets-she's not fit to raise ants.

June 18, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The real Tom, those are the lyrics whether you accept them or not. Now, go whine to someone who cares.

June 19, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  5. lol??

There's a youtube video of Superman scrawling A&A graffito in a phone booth!! The mob is invincible!!

June 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • The Thespian

There's a You-Tube video featuring Liar's Anonymous. Keynote speaker: lol??,

June 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
  6. lol??

The NSA is tailing Superman, so relax folks. Must not be a US citizen.

June 18, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
  7. Vic

Technical Note:

A host's (e.g. CNN, Yahoo, etc.) web server retains a poster's IP Address along with his/her comment!

June 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • The real Tom

So what?

June 18, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Science

And Adam had to poke himself hard with his own bone to create Eve.

June 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Dic

Technical Note:

I am faith and Look Up and lol?? and I only have three fingers to type with, the rest are in my butt.

June 18, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Eve was a retrofit with unique spirit of her own to be female. learn it malo, secular, self centered by faith, before spewing your hinduism, absurdity.

June 18, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • @Vic

Hey Vic, unless you have administrator access to the server you can't get any of those IP addresses you clueless pos.

June 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • JMEF

Vic
      God resides in the dark matter perhaps? Probably explains why jesus was a black man but don't tell the Southern Baptist KKK crowd.

June 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • The real Tom

Who cares. Me
      I don't want my IP address exposed.

Help LORD. I am so sorry. Forgive me of my sins. I confess JESUS as my LORD and SAVIOR. I repent. I will follow You all my days. Give me a clean heart. Put me on the paths of righteousness. Help me share my new faith in You.

Thank you! LORD JESUS.

June 18, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • The real Tom

OOooooh, look! I have a secret admirer! Don't be shy, honey! Tell us your real name. Or shall we just call you "Ball-less Wonder"?

June 18, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Tom, John 3 is a good start.

June 18, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • fintastic

HeavenStank........ suggesting fairy tales again?

June 19, 2013 at 9:37 am |
  8. lionlylamb

Humor me if one will. Our viewable universe is nowadays being measured with telescopes not yet powerful enough to view the "Cosmos" in all its' grandness! We see outwardly into the celestial cosmology with what our instruments do allow us to see. The "Hubble Space Telescope" was pointed towards a blackness of space and did take a timed picture which showed there to be 1,000's of galaxies located in that blackness of space. Did science reconfigure the age of 'our universe' since they peered further outward and beyond the 16 billion year outskirts as was so professed by science to only be an end to the Cosmos? Astronomical physiologies of celestial objects goes on forever! There is no such thing as an ending to the celestial cosmos of infinity's being!

June 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

Well, you inadvertantly humored me 🙂

Telescopes do not work that way LL. You cannot "see" past anything if there is no light coming from there to here and that light traveles at a set measurable pace, often called the "speed of light". The age we have of the universe is based on measuring not only light waves but background radiation which takes us right back to the big bang and then before that it's just static. There is no "peer outside of our known universe with the hubble to see into the blackness of space" there is only observe the light and radiation waves that constantly bombarding the space around us.

June 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • Athy

Lionly will not understand that.

June 18, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Bold Atheist,

"Background radiation" is coming from 'all directions' is it not? This alone could tell us that the very beginnings of background radiation came from beyond our current days' viable means of measuring such radiations' beginning moments within places too far away to be visibly known with our still yet infantile telescopic means.

The 'depths' of which one views the celestial cosmos will eventually someday show us that our "currently perceived universe" is but a very small fraction of the cosmologically celestial breadths and reaches onto the infinities' timelessness. If our section of the cosmos was born of a Big Bang, then there surely must have been other Big Bangs happening and still are happening but we have yet to visualize the certainty of multiple Big Bangs occurring within the vastness of Spatial Nothingness.

June 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Vic

The Observable Universe Is ONLY 4% Of The Total Universe

Science uses Radio Astronomy to detect some of the invisible universe.

This is a heavy/epic subject that involves Dark Matter & Energy. I will post some details about that later!

As for now:

June 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

So what Vic. That does not mean that god is in the rest.

June 18, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Vic,

The 4% of 'our' universe leaves out 96% of 'our' universe but fails to shell out passed our 16 or so billions of light years being proclaimed by science as a universal beginning. Big Bangs have happened and are happening and will seemingly unto forever happen. It is the distances between Big Bangs that science as yet is able to fully fathom. As our telescopic natures become ever more capable to zoom into ever smaller increments of the spatial voids, we will witness ever more into a celestial cosmos of endless culpabilities.

June 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

Have either of you morons taken even a basic science class? First, the Earth, and all living things on it, are constantly bombarded by radiation from outer space which primarily consists of positively charged ions from protons to iron and larger nuclei derived sources outside our solar system. No, background radiation or Cosmic radiation is not "coming from all directions" but only comes from bodies emitting radiation, which in our case seems like it's "all directions" but this is false. No radiation has ever been found to have come from outside our known universe.

Second, it is not that we are unable to see past 16 billion light years, it's that beyond that point in the record they get nothing, which is why we can only conjecture beyond the moment of the singularity which is well established fact, the only theory parts left are figuring out where the matter was before it was released trhough the singularity. Was it in another dimension? Dark matter leaking into this universe? We don't know, but I prefer not knowing to standing up and pulling the dunce cap answer out of my ass of "God did it!" and then retreat into the safety of "well you prove God didn't do it" when confronted with actual science.

June 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • The real Tom

Reading what LL knows about telescopes is like watching a car wreck.

June 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

@Bold Atheist

I like your style. I think you are slightly misrepresenting the light horizon, though. It is a barrier past which we cannot observe because of the speed of light and the reality of space-time.

June 18, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

I can only hope as they are franticly googling about how telescopes work they will actually learn something useful.

June 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

If there was something beyond that horizon emitting light or radiation we should be able to measure it, but because of the nature of psace time being linked to cosmic matter we are unable to go any further back without some pre-existing cosmic matter as a reference point which is all I was meaning to say.

June 18, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

June 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

"How could we measure anything (other than faster-than-light??-radiation) over ~14 billion light years away/in-the-past if the universe is only that old?"

That's my point, you can't. It was just in reply to LL's claim that the hubble had "peered further outward and beyond the 16 billion year outskirts".

June 18, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

"The "Hubble Space Telescope" was pointed towards a blackness of space and did take a timed picture which showed there to be 1,000's of galaxies located in that blackness of space. Did science reconfigure the age of 'our universe' since they peered further outward and beyond the 16 billion year outskirts as was so professed by science to only be an end to the Cosmos?" That was the main part I was laughing at for several minutes after reading it.

June 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Bold Atheist,

Another "humor me" dilly,

Imagine if you will, Around 2,500 billion light years away from us a Big Bang happened. Our Big Bang happened 16 billion years ago. Therefore the 2,500 billion year old Big Bang's 1st light emissions would have passed by our way 2,484 light years before our Big Bang even occurred! The only bits of light from this 2,500 billion light year Big Bang now being visible to us would be so infinitely small we would need such a powerful telescope from which to capture a pinpoint speck from 1,000 miles away.

Science is in the process of putting together a multiple series of telescopic satellites placed 1,000s of miles apart to capture light being emitted from distances beyond our 16 billion light years now adhered to theory. The Cosmos of which our universe is but likened to a grain of sand on a cosmic dimensional shift so huge we will never know of its' cosmological breadth or depths or even height. All anyone can do is wonder.

June 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Ok. I was confused. I do not know of any mechanism that would allow us to see further away than 13.6 billion (or so) because of the light horizon. IF the universe is about that old (it seems to be) then the only radiation we might detect from further away would have to be travelling faster than the speed of light, and I am unaware of any such radiation, although the vacuum energy of space does seem to be capable of that under certain conditions so I don't know..... Dang, I wish I knew more about this stuff!

June 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

lionlylamb, a larger telescope will not be able to breach the light horizon because of the age of the universe. In fact, for the first several hundred thousand years the universe was "milky" and no light traveled anywhere. Do you have a basic understanding of how looking "out" into space is also looking "back" in time? If the universe is only 13 billion years old then we can't see any farther away than that. Does that make sense?

June 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

Ohhhh, I see, LL is talking about theoretical Big Bangs that may or may not have preceded our big bang. Well I stand corrected, this guy isn't just stupid, he's a real hypothetical moron. The hubble has never looked past the singularity. The theory of other preceding or even concurrent big bangs is pure imagination as there is as much evidence for them as there is for God. Will our technology give us better more details views of the universe around us? Of course. But if you are one of the morons who thinks the Helix Nebula is really the "Eye of God" then you are not worth chatting with.

June 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Zoos

The Big Bang did not happen at some distant point to our location you ignorant slut.
      We are INSIDE this continuum. This continuum is what "exploded". We are INSIDE the explosion.
      There is no direction to point at, and no center to this continuum.
      The only way to look at the Big Bang from outside requires being able to see in hyperspace where our continuum appeared.
      WE ARE INSIDE THE CENTER
      THE WHOLE CONTINUUM IS THE CENTER
      YOU ARE STUPID

June 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
  9. Look Up

Want to guess wrong on monitoring my IQ addresses? You can, they do.

Why don't you confess? I'm a 6.

You know who I am? Be the poo. Be courageous. Who are you scared of, meat? Little old meat?

Okay, play my game – change my rules – we can do it the right way or my way. We can all play by my rules.

So, which name do I pick first?

Watch my 6.

IQ that is.

June 18, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • derp

Exodus 20: 15 and 16

I smell smoke. It this impostor as-s in hell

I want the real look up guy back.

June 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • The Real Tom

Fake Look Up

We see you can't spell or make sense.

You are a liar and thief. Exodus 20: 15 & 16

Get right with GOD.

John 3:16

June 18, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

It's funny but the poe being Look Up is far better at it than the poe being Tom. At least they do it with some style.

June 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Yeah that John 3 is a favorite of HS; she has my vote for the fake Tom.

June 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Look Up

How quickly they run and hide. Where is that bold atheist, satanist, humanist, non believing trolls now?

So big, the rock they all choose to hid under will crush them.

We have one thing to discuss – your surrender.

Confession is good for the soul.

Big talk now? Huh?

Come out, come out where ever you are.... we know you are out there, lurching about.

Be not afraid, take it like a man!

Stick your nose in my business. Please. We need to confront this issue you have with stealing blogger handles. Spreading lies. Mocking GOD.

Can't you defend yourself now?

Not so big mouth after all.

June 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • sam

Honey, you need to back slowly away from the talky-box now and get back to your room. The orderlies are coming soon with your meds.

June 18, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
    • Look Up

Also, I often lick goat scrotum.

June 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
    • Bold Atheist

You are a liar and a moron. I don't believe more needs to be said.

June 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • fred

Ouch Look Up what is going on ..........ya lost the love

June 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The true Look Up, all they know how to do is babble and brag.

June 18, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • The real Tom

"Lurching?" Did you perhaps mean "lurking?"

June 18, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

They're coming with meds and a straight jacket.

June 18, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The real Tom, he should have typed leach to prove what makes the unbelievers tick (cough) sick and lost.

June 18, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • fintastic

HS..... you are a deluded moron.

June 20, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
  11. Daniel Grant

Anyone notice how many Christians there are on these boards that are total liars? Besides their doctrinal diarrhea the comments section asks for your name, and very few on here use their real names. It even says "Name: (required)" to post a comment. Are these Christians all risking their souls by lying about their name?

June 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • AE

I always use a fake e-mail address.

June 18, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Athy

No. They may possibly believe they are, but, of course, as we atheists know, they're not.

June 18, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • sam

Yes, and Look Up says it's a serious crime!

June 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Daniel Grant, projecting is not good for you.

June 18, 2013 at 7:13 pm |

♂ & ♀

June 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Vic

aka Adam & Eve

June 18, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
  15. Look Up

Want to guess wrong on monitoring IP addresses? You can, they do.

Why don't you confess?

You know who you are? Be the man. Be courageous. Who are you scared of, me? Little old me?

Okay, play the game – change the rules – we can do it the right way or your way. We can all play by your rules.

So, which name do I pick first?

Watch your 6.

June 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • Akira

I know some dudes at my work that can read IP addresses on here and so on.

June 18, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • derp

You do realize that whole "IP ADRESS" thing has come up on this blog about 593 times.

CNN does not monitor it.

Keep whining about it and there will a dozen or so people who will bombard your "blogger handle".

June 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • sam

I thought you said it was a SERIOUS CRIME! Why would you want to commit a serious crime by stealing someone's name? Is there a bible quote you can show us that would make this ok??

June 18, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
    • .

Nice try, fake Akira.

June 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

Using intimidation, much like your Jesus.

June 18, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • derp

CNN is aware of this doofus.

June 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
  16. Look Up

For anyone who steals blogger name has some serious issues.

We can disagree, We can argue our points, possibly find a common ground or agree to disagree and go on our way.

I respect the higher class of bloggers who never tried to intimidate or belittle me.

I even respect those who totally outright hate me.

But at least I am honest and share my thoughts openly, not hiding behind a stolen blogger handle.

Come clean, all is forgiven.

You know who you are.

June 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • derp

I actually find it hilarious.

You are such a fvcking nutbag, that it is almost impossible to tell the real one from the fake.

June 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • Pete

Again, they don't monitor IP address, it's why the trolls hang out here doing their thing day in and day out. Nothing changes on here and the fact that everyone keeps arguing the same things over and over says a lot about the stupidity of humanity especially Christians.

June 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • sam

That's pretty hilarious. Mostly you've been 'sharing' bible quotes, poe.

June 18, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
    • derp

"But at least I am honest and share my thoughts openly"

Bible quotes aren't thoughts.

They are the lack thereof.

June 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

The issue is that you're on an anonymous blog. Anyone with a partially working brain know the risk you take when posting here. If you don't like it, change your alias...we'll clue in to who you are just by the way you type...don't worry we'll still be here to call you out on your ignorance.

June 18, 2013 at 5:58 pm |

derp,

Psalms 33:4

For the word of the LORD [is] right; and all his works [are done] in truth.

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • fintastic

HS.......

Harry Potter;

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Amen

June 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
  17. Jesus The Christ

Oh, oh, this is my favorite, ok, everyone sit down, this is super exciting! Wow, it's from my own book that you all love, revere and hold as the most sacred thing on earth. Ok, here it is:

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known a man by lying with him."

But all the women CHILDREN, that have not been known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

– Numbers 31: 17&18 –

June 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • AE

Just because something is in The Bible, doesn't mean that God approves of it.

Who is being quoted in those verses? What happened before and after those verses?

It paints an honest picture of the people. If it is so horrible as you think it is, why wouldn't of the Christians have removed it from the Bible to make it more acceptable?

Why is it still there?

June 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

AE

If all of the horrible things were removed in the bible there would be little left.

June 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • Athy

If all the bullshit were removed from the bible, all you'd have left is the covers.

June 18, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

"Just because something is in The Bible, doesn't mean that God approves of it."

Wait one minute...is the buybull or is it not, the word of god????
      Gotta love when the christards don' have a damn clue as to what they are spewing on about!

June 18, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • AE

@ Wait one minute...is the buybull or is it not, the word of god????

Moses said it, not God.

June 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bob, you really don't like what God does to unbelievers. LOL

June 18, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • fintastic

No such thing as "god"

June 20, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  18. Megan

Church: I'd join, but I'm allergic to nuts!

June 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
  19. Novelbuttrue

Christian: Needs more evidence to believe in evolution. Needs ABSOLUTELY NO evidence to believe in Jesus Christ...

Huh.

June 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Just viewing the many flaws in the myth of evolution is all one needs to circular file it.

June 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • .

FYI everyone you can always tell when this troll is posting because of their poor grammar and spelling. They post under other people's handles as well as multiples others. This poster is not a true Christians, just a a troll.

June 18, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • derp

Only a christian could be stupid enough to not believe the earth is old enough to have fossils, while simultaneously living in a country powered almost entirely by fossil fuels.

HeavenSent, do you own a car?

June 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • fintastic

Heaven stench will tell you satan planted dinosaur bones to trick us. Priceless comedy!

June 18, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

"Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron. He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him."

Job 40:15-19

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
    • Observer

Wow! Two behemoths on the ark along with millions of other animals.

Loads of poop to scoop every day for poor Noah.

June 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Observer proving your ignorance does not negate that behemoths ruled the planet in the first earth age and Noah lived in our earth age (the 2nd earth age). Two separate earth ages. You need to ketchup.

June 18, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • fintastic

Heavenstench, close that book of fairy tales and get an education.

June 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  20. AE

"It is very much easier to do what God made you for than not."
    – Jackie Pullinger

June 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
    • Seldom Seen Mike

What does that mean? Also...not such great grammar, 'very much easier.'

June 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • AE

For me, it deals with my consequences. Following my will over God's will leads to consequences for me that make my life more difficult.

June 18, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • derp

"Following my will over God's will leads to consequences for me that make my life more difficult"

How does god communicate his will to you?

Do you hear him?

June 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Distinguishing god's voice is pretty easy. Usually it involves sacrificing one of your children on a mountain top. Ask Abraham.

June 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • AE

Well, no, I don't hear his voice with my ears. It is better than that.

Try this: Get on your knees and pray to God. Ask Him to reveal himself to you in a way that you can understand.

Each morning pray and ask God to reveal knowledge of His will to you. Ask him to direct your thinking and help you make the next right decision throughout the day. Pray for help in doing what Jesus asks us to do: loving others.

June 18, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
    • sam

And if god doesn't reveal himself to you, it's because you're not serious enough about it or not open minded or you're doing it wrong or the planets aren't aligned correctly, etc etc ad nauseum.

June 18, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

AE hears voices in the head.

June 18, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • derp

So you are telling me I should get on my knees and talk to myself?

I don't think so.

June 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • AE

Talk to our Creator, creature.

June 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • sam

Yes, of course, now it's 'creature'.

If I want to talk to my creators I'll call my parents.

June 18, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

AE: So you'd be a murderer? A ra</bpist? Perhaps having sex with your child???
      Then again you believe in all that as long as it's in the buybull.

June 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Daniel

"Get on your knees and pray to God. Ask Him to reveal himself to you in a way that you can understand. Each morning pray and ask God to reveal knowledge of His will to you. Ask him to direct your thinking and help you make the next right decision throughout the day."

June 18, 2013 at 6:08 pm |

Isaiah 29:16

Amen.

June 18, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • AE

@ Truth Prevails

–Anyone like you who can honestly say that they'd be committing crimes without the book to guide them should not be roaming the streets freely. You're not mentally stable or mature!–

I never said I'd be committing crimes without the Bible.

Honest.

@ Daniel

- So once he has revealed himself to you, why do you need to do it again the next day? I would think God revealing himself to you would be a pretty moving thing where you might not need to ask him to do it again for some time...–

I used to think that way, too.

June 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • Daniel

"For me, a daily devotion is in order. I get sidetracked, and living the Christian life is not always easy."

Don't get me wrong, I used to be an evangelical pastor and would have to get pumped up for God every day before I went out on stage. I had to tell myself "I believe, I believe" in my mind in order to go out there and tell people about stuff that I still had to take on "faith". I just don't believe you when you say God revealed himself to you in any other way than how I believed I had the same experience, which is to say I experienced the chemicals in my body responding to my deep desire for it all to be true, so I made myself believe it and said "That feeling just there, that was it, I know that was God, giving me a sign" or was that it? or that? or that? Well after 15 years of making anything and everything into a sign from God I stopped trying and my whole world changed. Everything came into focus and I have never been happier. I love this planet, I love my wife and I love every other human who is willing to love everyone else. I do not waste my love on bigots, racists or elitists who think they know the mind of God, but I do not spend any hate on them either for hate does nothing to the person hated but blackens the heart of the hater.

June 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • AE

@Daniel
      –So when the creator of the entire universe reveals himself to you, you find yourself getting sidetracked so need to reaffirm your belief in him daily? Is that about right?–

No, that is not completely right.

Martin Luther put it this way: "Baptism means that the Old Adam in us should be drowned by daily contrition and repentance, and that all its evil deeds and desires be put to death. It also means that a new person should daily arise to live before God in righteousness and purity forever."

It is funny how life works.

I lived as an atheist for 18 years.

And now, having received God's grace and mercy, I feel free.

June 18, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • Daniel

June 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • HeavenSent

James 4:16   But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

212   //  alazoneia  //  alazoneia   //  al-ad-zon-i'-a  //

from   213  ; TDNT – 1:226,36; n f

AV – boasting 1, pride 1; 2

1) empty, braggart talk
      2) an insolent and empty assurance, which trusts in its own
      power and resources and shamefully despises and violates
      divine laws and human rights
      3) an impious and empty presumption which trusts in the
      stability of earthy things

June 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • AE

Sin separates me from God, so I ask for protection. I am responsible. And what I do matters. And I ask for God's help.

Pretty basic Christian understanding.

June 18, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Daniel, you posted "That's weird, I was a Christian for nearly 30 years and now am an atheist and have never been happier since I left. It was like breathing fresh air after being trapped in a barel. I also found that I didn't have the "urges" to sin like I used to as a Christian when the "do not sin" is pounded into you day in and day out.

It reminds me of a book I read called "Eat yourself Thin" which basically said stop thinking about food all the time and you will lose weight, and it works. As soon as I stopped counting calories and didn't worry about what food I ate but cut my portion size down, I thought less about food and lost over 50 lbs in 4 months and have kept it off. The same thing with sin. As soon as I stopped worrying about this sin or that sin and just started trying to be a good person I found myself not being tempted by the cute checker girl or saying no to another drink. Hearing it constantly and telling yourself "I am sinfull! I am Adam! I am sinfull! I need repentance!" I'm not worthy!" is the easy road to giving yourself an excuse to do just about anything, and if you do fall, hey, you are imperfect right? And can always ask forgiveness, right? So you don't ever have to take responsibility for your actions until after death which is pretty convenient for those who think they are gaming the system."

Answer: There's a Chihuahua that sings your sin of PRIDE "I, I. I IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" That's why you didn't understand Jesus, He told us to stay humble.

June 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • fintastic

HeavenStank......... "There's a Chihuahua that sings your sin of PRIDE"

Wow, that's some good acid you have there!

June 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
About this blog