home
RSS
June 14th, 2013

Superman: Flying to a church near you

By Eric Marrapodi, Co-Editor CNN Belief Blog

Baltimore, Maryland (CNN) - As the new Superman movie takes flight this weekend, filmmakers are hoping the Man of Steel lands not only in theaters, but also in pulpits.

Warner Bros. Studios is aggressively marketing "Man of Steel" to Christian pastors, inviting them to early screenings, creating Father’s Day discussion guides and producing special film trailers that focus on the faith-friendly angles of the movie.

The movie studio even asked a theologian to provide sermon notes for pastors who want to preach about Superman on Sunday. Titled “Jesus: The Original Superhero,” the notes run nine pages.

“How might the story of Superman awaken our passion for the greatest hero who ever lived and died and rose again?” the sermon notes ask.

(Disclaimer: CNN, like Warner Bros., is owned by Time Warner.)

Similar campaigns to corral the country's large number of Christians into the movie theater have been used for "Les Miserables," "Soul Surfer" and "The Blind Side," all of which had at least some faith angle.

Baltimore pastor Quentin Scott is among dozens of ministers who received an e-mail invitation from Grace Hill Media, a Hollywood-based Christian marketing firm, to an early screening of “Man of Steel.”

“There was an actual push to say `We’re putting out something that speaks to your group,' ” said Scott, one of the pastors of Shiloh Christian Community Church in Baltimore.

At first, Scott said, he didn’t buy the religious pitch. Then he decided to attend a free midweek screening in Baltimore.

“When I sat and listened to the movie I actually saw it was the story of Christ, and the love of God was weaved into the story," said the pastor.

"It was something I was very excited about that with the consultation of our senior pastor, we could use in our congregation.”

CNN Entertainment: 'Man of Steel' director Zack Snyder on Superman's Christ-like parallels

Grace Hill’s sermon notes are specially designed for churches like Shiloh that integrate multimedia into their services.

“Let’s take a look at the trailer for `Man of Steel,’” the notes suggest after briefly introducing the movie’s history and themes.

The man behind the notes, Pepperdine University professor Craig Detweiler, has prepared similar material for films like 2009’s "The Blind Side" and "The Book of Eli" from 2010.

The spiritual themes in “Man of Steel” are abundant, Detweiler said, and his notes enable Christians to thoughtfully engage with pop culture instead of shunning it.

“All too often, religious communities have been defined by what they're against. With a movie like `Man of Steel,’ this is a chance to celebrate a movie that affirms faith, sacrifice and service,” Detweiler said.

It will be hard for even casual Christians to miss the messianic metaphors in "Man of Steel.”

The movie focuses on the origins of Superman, who was sent from the planet Krypton as an infant to save his species.

He is raised by surrogate parents who help him grapple with his special powers, even though they don’t fully understand the source of his extraordinary abilities.

When he turns 33, Superman must willingly sacrifice himself to save the human race.

Sound familiar?

If that’s not enough, as a boy Clark Kent is shown wrestling with his superpowers, and asks his earthly dad, Jonathan Kent, “Did God do this to me?”

“Somewhere out there you have another father and he sent you here for a reason,” says Jonathan Kent.

Even the visuals hammer home the messianic motifs.

During a fight with his archenemy, General Zod, Superman plunges down to Earth, his arms outstretched as if he were being crucified. Of course, he rises again.

Detweiler writes in the sermon notes, “What Jesus and Superman both give us, through their `hero’ actions but also their `human’ actions – is hope.”

“I think it’s a very good thing that Hollywood is paying attention to the Christian marketplace,” said Ted Baehr, who runs Movieguide, a website that reviews family friendly films from a Christian perspective.

“Where it gets sticky is when they try to manipulate the market and when Christians try to manipulate Hollywood. But here I think we have the right balance.”

But other Christians are heaving a supersized sigh at the movie marketing.

"Any pastor who thinks using `Man of Steel Ministry Resources' is a good Sunday morning strategy must have no concept of how high the stakes are, or very little confidence in the power of God’s word and God’s spirit," writes P.J. Wenzel, a deacon and Sunday School teacher at Dublin Baptist Church in Ohio.

"As they entertain their congregants with material pumped out from Hollywood’s sewers, lives are kept in bondage, and people’s souls are neglected," according to Wenzel, who said he was e-mailed information about the movie.

Scott, the Baltimore pastor, said he knows that Warner Bros. Studios has a financial incentive in pushing the film to pastors.

But he said that’s fine with him. “They’re using us but in fact we’re using them,” he said.

His church won't show clips from the movie this weekend because it had already planned out its service. But he plans to use them later, during meetings with the church’s men’s group.

“If you give me another opportunity to talk to someone about Jesus Christ, and I can do that because of your movie, that’s a win for me, because it is about spreading the Gospel.”

CNN's Erin McPike contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Celebrity • Christianity • Church • Entertainment • Media • Movies

soundoff (6,545 Responses)
  1. I AM A MAGICAL UNICORN

All it takes for one is a few rusty nails, and a green rock for the other.

June 20, 2013 at 7:29 am |
    • lol??

corny

June 20, 2013 at 10:05 am |
  2. Anon

It's simple, both are fantasy but one of them has brainwashed humanity to the brink of delusion.

June 20, 2013 at 3:15 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Well, both have really. Have you ever met a comic book fanboy? My heretical ass would rather take on The Inquisition than deal with those nerds.

June 20, 2013 at 3:22 am |
    • Jimmy G.

A few fanboys is not all of humanity. Let's get real, shall we?

June 20, 2013 at 3:57 am |
  3. faith

A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God

June 20, 2013 at 2:47 am |
    • faith

woman is the glory of man

June 20, 2013 at 2:48 am |
    • faith

nothing

June 20, 2013 at 2:49 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

What about his purple head? Not covering that can lead to all sorts of legal conundrums.

June 20, 2013 at 2:49 am |
    • Science

Protection works.......................so you better cover that head faithy...................and you know with what do you not ?

The RCC against them are they not ?

June 20, 2013 at 5:56 am |
  4. faith

but woman is the glory of man.

June 20, 2013 at 2:42 am |
  5. maximo

Does evolution explain all of life we see today?

An layman with respect to evolution, gives us an insider's view of what goes on behind the closed doors of academia.
    JAmes M. Tour is one of the top 10 cited chemists in the world. He has co-authored over 450 scientific papers and has over 35 patents and current professor at Rice University.

If thats too lengthy, here some of more relevant excerpts:

Professor James Tour reminds me of the honest young boy, who said, "But, momma, THE EMPORER HAS NO CLOTHES"

June 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm |
    • LinCA

Tour is a fundamentalist christian with a scientific education and career. He appears to struggle with reconciling science with his faith. Jumping to the conclusion that "goddidit" whenever he can to keep his faith alive. He will gladly insert his god, and of course only his, into any void or gap in scientific knowledge. Whether these gaps and voids are real or merely perceived.

He claims to be not a creationist, or proponent of ID, but only because he seems to dislike the negative connotation of the label, not because he isn't one.

June 20, 2013 at 12:22 am |
  6. faith

THAT'S ALOT OF PROOF U B POSTING NAZI GOD-HATING FASCISTS. DON'T NODE IF I CAN TAKE MUCH MORE

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

June 19, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • Psst...

Nazis were Christians.

June 20, 2013 at 12:19 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

It's debatable how many of the Nazi Party command were actually Christian.

June 20, 2013 at 12:27 am |
    • lol??

Take a look at this picture of the rocket scientists from Operation Paperclip. The Nazis claimed they never heard of the SS. Trust em and cross yer heart and hope to die.

June 20, 2013 at 10:16 am |
  7. Vic

Jesus Christ For SALVATION ♰ ♰ ♰

June 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
    • HotAirAce

911 for a medical professional to help you with your mental illness.

June 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
  8. in 40 seconds

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uZ_LRYZrSg&w=640&h=390]

June 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
    • Donald

True!

June 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Roger that

That described me when I was a believer. As a non-believer, I now find the history of the Bible interesting.

June 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
  9. faith

To paraphrase Arthur Clarke: Anyone with enough advanced technology will be looked on as god.

June 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
  10. HeavenSent

Arthur Bryant, Christians are your only friends, we don't get a kick out of fools acting as Apes.

June 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • Dippy

Don't capitalize apes. It's not a proper noun. It makes you look stupid. Are you indeed stupid? Or do you just like to appear to be stupid? If so, you are succeeding.

June 20, 2013 at 12:15 am |
  11. lol??

KWACKPOT SOCIOPATHIC A&A's

lol??
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    "derp
    Chief Operating Officer of a multinational chemical company.

I work globally, so I have odd hours. Often, I am not working during the day, and busy with work at night. Sometimes I have a great deal of down time during the day. Sometimes I don't.

I work in the world of science and technology, as an atheist if suits me well."

A&A's sure have the imaginations!! Vain, BTW. Science fiction and drugs ...................BBBBBBwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

June 19, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    derp
    LOL??

Meow. .. purrific friend to play with now.

June 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
  12. Terry

☩ ☩ ☩ Mithra Is Lord ☩ ☩ ☩

June 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
  13. looking upward

John Lennon – no heaven, no hell.

Wrong now! He is realizing hell is very hot.

June 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • Get Real

"He is realizing hell is very hot."

And your verified evidence for that is....?

June 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • looking upward

Ask him when you get there.

June 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • looking upward

Missed that proof of your existence, posting proves nothing. Written by someone with no substance.

June 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • Akira

John Lennon lives on. Through his music, through his deeds; he will be remembered. Pithy statements on the net notwithstanding, his existence had an impact.

June 19, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

I have an invisible dragon that can't be detected by any means. If you don't believe me, he will torture you forever after you die. if you can't prove I don't have such a dragon than I do, and if you think he doesn't exist, just wait until you die! Then you'll really know!

June 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Lennon and The Beatles had the talent of retarded lemurs.

June 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven. It's easy if you try. No hell below us. Above us only sky. Imagine all the people. Living for today.

June 19, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Pole dancing for Jesus

Fake Dave, Yeah right!! Funny how retarded lemurs came to your mind. Remind you of relatives?

June 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • Akira

Who knew retarded lemmings could be that talented?

June 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

What do you mean fake Dave? I assure you it's me and that all their music was absolute garbage apart from bits of Revolver.

June 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Wings' Christmas songs were also fairly toe-tapping, I'll admit.

June 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
    • One one

That is an immature, infantile statement that reveals a lot about you.

June 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • One one

@i'm sorry, are you aware that you have a writing, tone, and content style that reveals who you are regardless of what screen name you are using ?

June 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Well, I assume it depends on how perceptive the reader is.

June 19, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • One one

@i'm sorry, no problem, I enjoy the intellectual stimulation of the debate.

June 19, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Well why aren't you debating me and why are you party to the accusations that I'm using another moniker?

June 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • One one

@i'm sorry, I got home late from work tonight so I'm a bit tired to engage in debate. Regarding accusations of you using another moniker, I haven't been following the discussion closely enough to know the issues with clarity. Therefore, I have chosen to not comment as opposed to comment out of ignorance.

June 19, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Well, you did allude to me using a different moniker. Anyway, water under the bridge. There isn't really a debate going on though, I'm just voicing my opinion that The Beatles were dog poop so somebody decided that I must be someone else as no self respecting atheist would dare den.igrate the demi-god Lennon.

June 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • One one

Surely you realize there are lot of John Lennon fans. With a comment like that, you can expect a lot of push back.

June 19, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • the real Tom

Musician here. The Beatles' were not at all untalented and their music was innovative in its use of harmonic progressions and orchestration. They were excellent tunesmiths, and calling their music 'garbage' says more about you than them.

June 19, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • the real Tom

That said, I don't care for "Imagine" and don't think it's an example of Lennon's best song-writing skills.

June 19, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • One one

"Beatles were dog poop".

That's your opinion, but obviously, a whole lot of people, including me, don't agree with you.

Do you think Lennon was associated bc of his beliefs ?

June 19, 2013 at 7:40 pm |

One one

I know there are lots of Lennon fans, it doesn't change how I feel about his music and the responses I got were just fanboy drivel.

Tom
      They were average musicians who took some acid and got their heads lodged up their own asses. If you want some truly revolutionary music from that era, you need look no further than The Wild Man Fischer.

June 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm |

One one

Associated with what?

June 19, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • One one

Assinated, not associated, (ipad word correct mistake)

June 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • One one

Assassinated not associated. I'm about ready to throw this ipad out the window !

June 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Really-O?

@the real Tom –

"The Long and Winding Road" is, perhaps, the perfect pop ballad.

Cheers

June 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm |

One one

Obviously it was some motivation to Chapman, but I'd mainly just put it down to Chapman being a lunatic.

June 19, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • One one

For the time, the Beatles were really special. I have played guitar for over 40 years, and can say their chord progressions and vocal harmonies were advanced compared to other music from the same era.

June 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Their chord progression and time signatures were fairly mundane. I won't comment on their vocal harmony as that is something I know or care little about. I just believe they never progressed from some of the interesting stuff in Revolver. I'd argue that, after Tomorrow Never Dies, they didn't release a good song until Revolution 9.

June 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Sorry, that should be Tomorrow Never Knows.

June 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Akira

I liked Lennon. I liked the Beatles.
      One either likes them, or doesn't. One person's opinion isn't going to make someone either like them if they didn't before; nor is it going to make one hate them if one liked them before.

"Long and Winding Road" is beautiful. One of my karaoke staples.

No big whoop.

June 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • the real Tom

"Their chord progression and time signatures were fairly mundane"

Their chord progressions seem mundane only because they became so common AFTER the Beatles used them.

You don't have to like them, but your opinion of them is no more valid than is my opinion on golfers' abilities.

June 19, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • the real Tom

"I won't comment on their vocal harmony as that is something I know or care little about."

In other news, water is wet.

June 19, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

My opinion is as valid as anybody else's.

June 19, 2013 at 8:13 pm |

Yes Tom, water is wet.

June 19, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Really-O?

@I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that –

Regarding your assertion that your "opinion is as valid as anybody else's", you are, of course, correct; however, you entered this thread by asserting that "Lennon and The Beatles had the talent of retarded lemurs" which is a statement of fact that is, of course, false.

June 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm |

Really-O?

Duly noted.

June 19, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
    • Really-O?

@I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that – "Duly noted."

Civil discourse! Respect. You mentioned "Wild Man Fischer" in a previous post – is it safe to assume you appreciate the works and talent of Mr. Zappa?

Cheers

June 19, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
    • Man Chowder

June 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Man Chowder –

Irony much?

June 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm |

Really-O?

Appreciate doesn't come close. I adore the man more than Jerry Falwell loved hating people. Along with the good Captain, in my opinion they were the two greatest musicians who ever walked the Earth.

June 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I can tell how young this crowd is because you haven't gotten a fact correct yet. The Beatles were fans of Robert Leroy Johnson (May 8, 1911 – August 16, 1938). That's who they wanted to emulate, but, came away with their own style.

June 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm |

HeavenSent

I never noticed any similarities between the two. The Beatles were a cheesy pop turned psychedelic rock band. Obviously, psychedelic rock owed some influence to Delta Blues but I never noticed The Beatles being any more influenced by Johnson. The Stones seemed to be much more rooted in Delta Blues.

June 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

sorry Davet, all those on the other side of the pond loved our Blues singers, as well as Blues musicians. Robert Johnson being # 1 for them.

June 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
    • Really-O?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esYPohsVi34&w=640&h=390]

June 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
    • Really-O?

I should have used google instead of youtube. Enjoy...

June 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Dave, # 1 target the BEATLES went for the juggler was Elvis'. That's why they had a make up hoopla in the press in the late 60s. Next was Frank Sinatra befriending Elvis to knock those boys back over the pond.

June 19, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
    • the real Tom

"This conversation is terrible. It crashed and burned the second someone claimed being a musician. In other terms: "I have a superior opinion to yours because I obviously know more about music." Yeah, your opinion is about as valid as the millions of other people that play the skin flute and never got a record deal."

No, dear. I do know a bit more about music than I suspect you do, having a degree in the discipline and a job in the field. So fvck off.

June 19, 2013 at 9:11 pm |

HeavenSent

Well, he was one of the most talented guitar players ever. Even now, it still sounds like two guitars are playing in his tracks. Personally though, my favorite blues musician is The Howlin' Wolf.

June 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • the real Tom

"Dave, # 1 target the BEATLES went for the juggler was Elvis'."

It's "jugular" you fvcking moron.

June 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • the real Tom

Someone who isn't aware of the influence Johnson had on the Beatles is beyond stupid.

June 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm |
    • Science

And I watched the Beatles

9 February 1964: The Beatles' first Ed Sullivan Show appearance ...

http://www.beatlesbible.com › Beatles diary › 1964 › February › 09‎

Article on The Beatles' historic debut appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, on the Beatles Bible website.

Imagine No Religion 3: Daniel Dennett

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbTo8oY0l7s&w=640&h=390]

June 19, 2013 at 9:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Science you post about seeing the BEATLES on Ed Sullivan's how, but, you provide a big fool that got his ego stroked instead. What has being duped by the invisible hand have to do with an early rock group?

June 19, 2013 at 9:26 pm |

the real Tom

Who hasn't Johnson influenced? Let's face it, 90% of bands in the latter half of the 20th century used I-IV-V in most of their tracks. He influenced The Beatles no more than any other band.

June 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
    • the real Tom

Didn't you just post this? "I never noticed any similarities between the two."

And you need a refresher course in music theory, dear. I-IV-V isn't innovative. It also wasn't the only progression the Beatles use, and it wasn't the one that was unusual and innovative. Maybe you should study a little more.

June 19, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
    • HeavenSent

the real Tom, you should be glad YOU have something to do other than act the fool, believing you derived from APES.

June 19, 2013 at 9:37 pm |
    • Really-O?

@I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that –

I think what @the real Tom may be trying to point out to you is that, by insisting that the music of The Beatles is uninspired, you've chosen a long, hard row to hoe.

June 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm |

the real Tom

I meant that they didn't seem any more influenced by Delta Blues than the average 60s rock band. As I mentioned, other bands like The Stones were much more noticeably influenced by blues music. Also, is it too much to ask for you to converse in a more civil manner?

June 19, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • the real Tom

HS, if anyone is related to an ape, it's you.

June 19, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
    • the real Tom

"Also, is it too much to ask for you to converse in a more civil manner?"

If you can't take it, don't dish it out, goober.

June 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
    • the real Tom

"I meant that they didn't seem any more influenced by Delta Blues than the average 60s rock band."

If that's what you meant, then that's what you should have said. It wasn't.

June 19, 2013 at 9:45 pm |

the real Tom

June 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • the real Tom

When someone posts a personal opinion about the music of a composer, and states that he/she doesn't care for/isn't enamored of/hates said music, I have no problem accepting said OPINION.

I do, however, take issue with someone who states that a particular musician is talentless as a lemur as if that were fact, when, in fact, it isn't "fact."

June 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • the real Tom

"I said it in the same post. Also, I've never responded to you in an insulting or uncivil manner."

That, again, is your opinion. I beg to differ.

June 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm |

the real Tom

June 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
    • the real Tom

"I've already pointed out above, on the recommendation of Really-O?, that the retarded lemur comment was meant to be taken as opinion."

Again, if it was an opinion, you should have described it as such in the original post. You posted it as if it were fact.

Look, I don't care if you like the Beatles or not. What I object to is your attempt to post your judgment of their talents or contributions as if it were fact. It makes you no better than the jerks here who post their beliefs as facts.

June 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
    • HeavenSent

the real Tom, you posted "HS, if anyone is related to an ape, it's you."

Answer: I'm a Christian, remember? I don't buy into lies, to act the animal, to amuse folks who want to get their jollies.

June 19, 2013 at 9:55 pm |

the real Tom

June 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm |

June 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
    • the real Tom

'You post your assertion that The Beatles were innovative as fact. They were inspirational, certainly, but innovative? I've never understood what was particularly innovative about them.'

Then you should study theory and music history and find out. That's what I did.

June 19, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
    • Really-O?

@the real Tom & @I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that –

I'm building a bridge here...because of this thread, in the last hour I've enjoyed the following recordings, several times:

-Robert Johnson – "Crossroads"
      -B.B. King – "The Thrill is Gone"
      -Muddy Waters – "i Just Want to Make Love to You"
      -John Coltrane – "Naima" (yes, I know it's a different genre, but it's just SO DAMNED GOOD!)

"Can't we all just get along?"

Cheers

June 19, 2013 at 10:00 pm |

the real Tom

You claimed they were innovative, could you not just elaborate on how?

June 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
    • the real Tom

No. Go read about what the Beatles did that was innovative. I'm not about to try to embark on a music theory/music history lecture here. It's not worth the effort.

June 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm |

Really-O?

Okay, if we're getting into Jazz, let's talk Ornette Coleman. The Shape of Jazz to Come has to be one of the greatest albums ever.

Also, you're right. Why can't we be friends.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QThY2BjnrR0&w=640&h=390]

June 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
    • Really-O?

@the real Tom & @I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that –

Sorry, I forgot to mention the tracks enjoyed from The Beatles and Frank Zappa.

June 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm |

the real Tom

Christ you're passive aggressive.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVRVFslme8&w=640&h=390]

June 19, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
    • the real Tom

"Christ, you're passive aggressive."

Why? Because I don't jump when you insist I do? Get over it. I don't teach for free. You wanna learn, then go learn.

June 19, 2013 at 10:09 pm |

the real Tom

No, I'll just gladly stay ignorant of the obvious innovation of The Fab Four. I'll just stick to the talentless hacks Stravinsky, Zappa, Vliet, Coleman, Drake, Anderson, etc. I don't think my puny, mortal mind could fathom the brilliance of the band who brought us Hey Jude.

June 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

the real Tom, you posted "HS, nobody cares why you're posting here; they already know: you have no friends or relatives that care about you. You come here because you're just that desperate for companionship."

Answer: Getting testy while lying about why I post on these articles doesn't change my reason. I told you already, I came on this site to find others that dealt with antisocial personalities. NOT realizing, the big egos flourish here. I thought I'd hang out to get you over your selves.

June 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Too funny, passive aggressive personalities blaming Jesus for what blinds them.

June 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • CNN - News as it happens.

WATER IS WET A CNN Exclusive Report
      --------------------
      Scientists at Los Alamos discovered a new property of water as they splashed in the wading pool out back.
      Small plastic ducks were also discovered in the pool, leading many to suspect that someone had put them there.
      Tom, head research director, issued the statement earlier today after it was verified by other scientists working closely with a number of foam objects and inflatable dinosaurs.
      "Water has a variable range of surface tension that varies with the levels of other stuff." said random passersby on the street. "If the surface tension is too high, water won't feel wet when touched with a finger."
      When pressed for details, the random people just smiled and walked on, some with a wave, others with mysterious expressions on their faces. CNN reporter Squidward told CNN staffers. "It's Patrick's fault" he said at one point, but the alleged starfish was not available for comment at presstime.
      Update
      Water has been seen falling from the sky in many places across the USA. Wolf Blitzer will have coverage on this after the break. Watch CNN Coverage Live On CNN locally through your local cable provider

June 19, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • Jamrose Nellie

Somebody invariably brings up the Stones when talking about The Beatles. Talk about a bunch of talentless hacks.

June 20, 2013 at 12:14 am |

Jamrose Nellie

I'm not particularly a Stones fan but they certainly had more talent than The Beatles.

June 20, 2013 at 12:19 am |
    • Jimmy G.

Nobody liked my CNN article? I has a sad. ;_;

June 20, 2013 at 3:58 am |
    • sam stone

wow, empty proxy threats of hell. very convincing, looking upward

June 20, 2013 at 7:02 am |
  14. Vic

☩ ☩ ☩ Jesus Christ Is Lord ☩ ☩ ☩

June 19, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • Vic

♱ ♱ ♱

June 19, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Why do you continue to deny all of the other gods...You are such an atheist minus one.

June 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • looking upward

Always!

June 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • Loki

☩ ☩ ☩ Odin Is Lord ☩ ☩ ☩

June 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
  15. looking upward

Superman a legend in his own mind and his creators.

It's a plane, faster than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound able to deflect bullets.

Sounds too good to be true, right?

Now JESUS

Creator. Not created

Alpha and Omega

King of kings, Lord of lords

Walked on water

Raise people from the dead

Healed Leapers

Gave sight to the blind

Beaten, bled, and died on a cross

Buried in a borrowed tomb

3 days later – ROSE from the grave

Met with many, seen by hundreds

Caught up into heaven

Sits at the FATHER'S. Right hand

Coming back

SOON AND VERY SOON!

Pretty SUPER to most of us.

No one else can come even close, real or imaginary.

No religion, just a personal relationship.

JESUS – Lord and Saviour, Prince of Peace, hope eternal.

Everlasting life giver.

Forgiver of sins.

Paid the price.

Laid down His perfect life for ours. And you and I never can earn it, it's a gift.

June 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • sam stone

wow, your claims are as good as proof, looking upward

June 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Superman sounds better. I'll worship him instead.

June 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

looking upward...You have walked around looking upward and haven't realized you stepped right into that BS.

June 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
  16. looking upward

Testing – testing – is thing on?

June 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
  17. Arthur Bryant

Wasn't letting me post for some reason; this is a test.

June 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • iKnow

BBQ?

June 19, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
    • Athy

Watch out for those hidden letter sequences that are forbidden. The sequences tit and cum are the most common ones, but there are others.

June 19, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let yu do that

Consboobution and cirmanjuicestances, for example.

June 19, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • Arthur Bryant

There didn't seem to be any of the hidden forbiddens in what I was trying to post, but who knows. I don't know how to defeat the stupid bot so I try to sneak around it. Ah well, the christards are getting boring on this thread anyway. Same ol' Jesus blah blah Last Days blah blah You'll Be a Weenie Roast Forever And I Squirt At The Thought blah blah blah. They're all cowards, incapable of rational thought much less real debate.

June 19, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
  18. Christina

Christopher Reeve owned that role and even though he has long since passed on, he still does, to me. No one no matter how good the movie might be in itself, can even come close.

June 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
    • fred

Christina if there were a like button, I'd hit it.

June 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm |

(____@) \
      (__o)_ \
      \ \

June 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • Whooo ... are ... you?

Vic,

Is that last one Alice in Wonderland's caterpillar, climbing up the wall?

June 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Vic

That was supposed to be a thumps up in a primitive way since CNN's web server does not allow much inline CSS & HTML coding! It escaped me that CNN's HTML server truncates double or more spaces!

June 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
    • the real Tom

Did you really think anyone gave a ripe fvck?

June 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
  19. ME II

is this article being hit by the report-abuse-bot?

June 19, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • Science

ME II

Is fred thread still around ?

June 19, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • ME II

@Science,
      Not sure.

June 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • fred

Science
      Good, you have recognized the need for an absolute standard rather than a relative one that is dependent on what the majority in power believe.
      The Fred thread is absolutely working up to standard.

June 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
    • Science

Hey creationists ..........fred and chadie too no horn-y red beast or heaven...........just falling skies

New Research Backs Genetic 'Switches' in Human Evolution

June 19, 2013 — A Cornell University study offers further proof that the divergence of humans from chimpanzees some 4 million to 6 million years ago was profoundly influenced by mutations to DNA sequences that play roles in turning genes on and off.

June 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Science, you have the right to act the fool. Some day, you'll grow up and be horrified, then, humiliated how you were duped.

June 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Science

Hey HS I have to many chondrites at the swamp to be duped in to thinking Adams bone created US !

NO heaven or hell HS..............just BS from HS and fred

Scientists Date Prehistoric Bacterial Invasion Still Present in Today's Plant and Animal Cells

June 19, 2013 — Long before Earth became lush, when life consisted of single-celled organisms afloat in a planet-wide sea, bacteria invaded the ancient ancestors of plants and animals and took up permanent residence. One bacterium eventually became the mitochondria that today power all plant and animal cells; another became the chloroplast that turns sunlight into energy in green plants.

June 20, 2013 at 5:42 am |
  20. faith

HOW DO U SPELL NUTHIN?

June 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let yu do that

Erm... NUTHIN

June 19, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
About this blog