home
RSS
June 26th, 2013

`Jesus wept' or tears of joy? Faithful react to gay marriage rulings

By Daniel Burke, CNN

(CNN) As news broke of the big Supreme Court rulings on gay marriage, religious leaders took to Twitter to express joyous praise or strong condemnation.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Church • Culture wars • Gay marriage • Gay rights • Homosexuality • Politics

soundoff (2,659 Responses)
  1. palintwit

It's a safe bet Sarah Palin's head exploded. Do the visuals !!

June 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Do you need some counseling to get off your Palin trip?

June 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Rundvelt

I can't imagine what it'd look like, probably akin to a balloon popping.

June 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
    • John Stemberger

a lot of air being released

June 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • omeany

I doubt it takes much!

June 26, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
  2. Stephen Hawking is an Idiot!!!!

I didn't know Atheists were gay?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUIXvIpbfg

June 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
    • Pete

Wait you mean some atheists are gay? I don't believe you.

June 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • Science

It looks like chads issue showe4d up ?

June 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • EnjaySea

To make the statement "Stephen Hawking is an idiot", is equivalent to saying "fire is freezing cold", and clearly demonstrates the IQ of the person making the statement.

June 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
    • Sarah

Says the guy who can't seem to compare and contrast!

June 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  3. Science

Chad is silent on the issue ?

June 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
    • Colin

I think he's gone away, no? I haven't heard from him in ages.

June 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • sam stone

chad had a hissy fit earlier

June 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • JMEF

Perhaps the Rachel personality became dominant and she just can't be bothered making a fool of herself day after day.

June 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • Science

To funny above.................chad^^^^^^^^^^^..................idiot ?

June 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Rachel

Chad is Vic now. Aren't we, Chadvic dear?

June 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • Science

Oops........................Austin, topher or doogie ^^^^^^^^^^^...............idiot ?

June 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • Science

Rachel...............no smiley and no what ?

June 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • The real Tom

I'm right here, fred. Got anything to say?

June 26, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Science

ScienceDaily: Your source for the latest research news and science breakthroughs – updated daily

Hey chavic.................what does Rachel say about you 2 timing with VIC ?

Origin of Life News

June 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  4. Colin

They say God opposes gay marriage and yet he loses in the Supreme Court. Not a very powerful being if he can't even win a Federal lawsuit.

June 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • Matt

Yeah he doesn't have a very good track record in court...he even lost the slavery case!

June 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Coling, get with the program. The ruling had nothing to do with religion.
      Good grief, I thought you knew how our govt works...it's called separation of state and church. Learn it will ya.

June 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • The real Tom

I don't see that Colin believes that the ruling had anything to do with religion, but that the religious right is having a meltdown because of it and claiming that "Jesus wept" and "May God forgive us." Apparently, they think that god was involved and that he was ignored.

June 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@The real Tom- "I don't see that Colin believes that the ruling had anything to do with religion"

Really? He seems to imply in many of his comments as if this is a ruling against a religious concept. Of course any sane person can see that the court didn't have anything to say about any religion, philosophy or science when they made their ruling.

June 26, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Pete

It seems pretty obvious that Colin's point is that if god is all powerful and is against gay marriage he could just have the Supreme Court ban it. Since that didn't happen either god doesn't exist, or he doesn't care about gay marriage.

June 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
    • The real Tom

Did you miss the part "They say...", US? Colin isn't claiming it. "They", as in, the religious right, are making these silly statements. Besides, the issue is being posted on the Belief Blog, so apparently some people DO think it has ramifications for religion.

June 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@Pete- "Since that didn't happen either god doesn't exist, or he doesn't care about gay marriage."

That's a very odd absolutist comment considering the topic is about g a y marriage. Do you always break down existence in such black/white either/or mindframe when it suits you? Obviously you don't see marriage that way in regards to right and wrong.

June 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

The real Tom- "so apparently some people DO think it has ramifications for religion."

But we know it really doesn't...right?

June 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm |

Who's "we"?

June 26, 2013 at 2:24 pm |

June 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I don't see it as a forward looking statement on religion but rather, a backward looking one. As wiser heads have noted, we get the government we deserve. With that in mind, the SCOTUS has merely made a constiitutional interpretation of the current civil climate as influenced by the state of religiosity in the society. Religious people who oppose it will continue to oppose it. Religious people who support it will continue to do so and secular people will continue to be secular.

Or as the Bible would more succinctly put it "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, Romans 1:26 NASB

June 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm |

Bill Deacon

First off god never said this, rather an opinion of a preacher. Secondly, please provide evidence that your god allowed SCOTUS to rule as they did.

June 26, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Uncouth. What other options are there when believers say we're talking about an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent being?

June 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm |

Uncouth Swain

-----–
      The ruling will have ramifications on the influence, but will not change a particular religion. The Tards hates losing power. Inch by inch the tards are being put in the proper position in our society.....equal not above

June 26, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
    • Science

Bill Deacon a bible thumper too ?

June 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Bill
      And if one's natural attraction is to someone of the same gender, would that still anger God?
      Perhaps God was more angry that the people involved in that or/gy turned apostate.
      Would He have been less angry if it were a straight or/gy?

June 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm |

John Stemberger
      "tards are being put in the proper position in our society.....equal not above"
      =>Is your position equal to or less than Jesus in our society?

June 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • The real Tom

"I am sorry, I was under the impression that you did not see this ruling as having ramifications for religion."

I am sorry that you can't read.

June 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@fred,

"Jesus" is irrelevant to the laws of our country. All citizens are equal under the law.

June 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm |

GOPer
      "all citizens are equal under the law"
      =>Ha! Do you have the money and political power to go judge shopping if you are on trial? If so I'll buy you lunch.

June 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@fred,

alright – I'll give you that one. In concept, all citizens are equal under the law.

In practice, (sadly) not so much.

June 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@In Santa we trust- "What other options.."

Free will would be one.

@Tom- easy there young man, you wouldn't want to start acting like the Chads and Colins of the world with attempts at left handed ad hominems.

June 26, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Uncouth, So wouldn't that fall under "don't care" if it has the power but chooses not to exercise it?

June 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • The real Tom

US, I don't know what your problem is. Maybe you're not the real Uncouth. He's usually much more intelligent.

June 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@In Santa we trust- "So wouldn't that fall under "don't care" if it has the power but chooses not to exercise it?"

Not at all. If allowing people to have free will goes under "don't care"....then the opposite would be to show care would mean one has to be a tyrant. That would be no better than saying that those guys keeping those women captive for over a decade was a sign of kidnapping but of their deep caring for them.
      There is nothing I have seen that equates control with care.

@The real Tom- maybe you're not the real Tom. I expect better from him that lackluster ad hominems. I would say the only problem is that I disagree with certain people on here and those certain people do not like it. Su cks to be them.

June 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm |

fred

John Stemberger
      "tards are being put in the proper position in our society.....equal not above"
      =>Is your position equal to or less than Jesus in our society?
      ------------–
      Jesus in our society? Any person named Jesus or person period is equal. I am guessing you are talking about people of Hispanic or Latin decent? Correct me if I am wrong????

June 26, 2013 at 4:13 pm |

John Stemberger
      In a godless society no one is equal and there is no equality. To suggest Tom Tom or you are equal to me is poor math at best and poor sentence structure at worst. The only equality is before God where all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God.

June 26, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
    • cedar rapids

'In a godless society no one is equal and there is no equality.'

I've seen some weird attempts at logic in my time but that has to be one of the strangest.

June 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • Matt

This made me literally laugh out loud at work.

June 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm |

You're a fake.

You didn't read my comments carefully and you're pretending that I'm the one at fault. Sounds more like the Piddler.

June 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm |

Cedar Rapids
      We are all equal before God. Remove God and only man is left. I have yet to run into anyone that actually believes we are all equal. On this web site I note the atheists like to believe Christians are not so bright.

June 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

I am sorry Tom that you were not able to man up and openly agree with the others. When you say, "some people DO think it has ramifications for religion", that implies you do not agree with those people. Otherwise you would have taken a more proactive pov on the topic. It'll be alright though.

June 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm |

Nice try, fake US. Fail.

June 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

HAHAHA, nothing more fun than simple responses that prove nothing. Come on Tom, I'm not saying you are an idiot or anything by your initial statement. I was merely pointing out why I thought the way I did.
      If pointing out the truth somehow makes me "fake", though by what authority you have to make such a claim I know not, then there must be many fakes out there.

June 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Uncouth, So you agree that prayer is pointless.

June 26, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

In Santa we trust- perhaps you could explain the relevance of knowing my opinion on prayer to the topic at hand.

June 26, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • The real Tom

Fake. Fake, fake, fake. FAKE.

US is a better writer than you'll ever be and a far more worthy opponent. Don't even dream that you're fooling anyone.

June 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@In Santa we trust- , sorry...obviously certain children haven't had there naps today......again, could explain the relevance of knowing my opinion on prayer to the topic at hand.

June 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • The real Tom

Fake US: "Now I will say that your many ad hominems you have graced this page with today is a bit disappointing though."

You out yourself. Uncouth Swain would never have written this execrable sentence, even if drunk.

June 26, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • The real Tom

"obviously certain children haven't had there naps today.."

Oh, goodness. There are no words to describe how a sentence like this grates on people who know better. They're horrified that their English language could be so horribly mangled by anyone who made it past eighth grade.

June 26, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • The real Tom

Sweetie, if you must troll under someone else's name, you might want to choose a poster who more closely resembles you in educational background and writing skills. I'd suggest the Piddler, lol, or faith.

June 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm |

fred

========================
      You do not have authority to speak on behalf of god or gods. As for the logic..... 😮

June 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@In Santa we trust- I will @ssume you are away from your pc or such but my answer to your question is no, prayer isn't pointless. But then again, I am not quite sure what you think the point of prayer is.

June 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • The real Tom

And of course, the fake US didn't wait for Santa's answer because that would mean losing the opportunity to bloviate.

June 26, 2013 at 6:32 pm |

I have authority to testify as to the truth of the Gospel:

"all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God." Translation: equality
      "every knee shall bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord" Translation: equality
      "There is neither; Jew nor Greek, bond nor free, male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Translation: equality

June 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • The real Tom

"I have authority to testify as to the truth of the Gospel"

Ahahahahahahhaaaaa! The lightning and thunder might be meant for you fred!

You don't have sh!t.

June 26, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • fred

Will the real Tom please stand up?

June 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • The real Tom

I'm right here, freddy-poo. What is it you want to know? That you're an ass? Done. That you're a hypocrite. Done. That you lost? Done.

June 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • .

June 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Uncouth, Yes I was away. My original point was – if an omnipotent and omniscient god chooses not to intercede for something you claim it disagrees with (same-sex marriage) then it can't really disagree with it. And by extension if free-will trumps omnipotence then what's the point of praying?

June 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • The real Tom

"The real Tom commits an argumentum ex silentio fallacy. Silence is not evidence that you are correct on anything."

Oh? I beg to differ. I think that the poster claiming to be Uncouth Swain was not, in fact, the person who usually posts under that moniker. Do you have info to the contrary? Then silence becomes assent.

No fallacy. Just fact.

June 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
    • Lycidas

@In Santa we trust- "if an omnipotent and omniscient god chooses not to intercede for something you claim it disagrees with (same-s e x marriage)"

I never made that claim personally but will @ssume you mean the general religious person on here.

"And by extension if free-will trumps omnipotence then what's the point of praying?"

I'm not sure what you mean by the "point" of prayer. There are those that treat prayer as a "wish list" of sorts. There are those that use prayer as a meditation tool. Some use prayer in other various ways.

June 27, 2013 at 11:27 am |

fred

I have authority to testify as to the truth of the Gospel:
      -----------------
      Actually you dont. If you wish to declare the authority, please provide what you base it upon.

June 27, 2013 at 1:02 pm |

Mathew 28:18-19
      18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

June 28, 2013 at 1:28 am |

fred

Mathew 28:18-19
      -------------

First Jesus did not write this so there is a credibility issue. Second, quoting the bible to say it gives you authority is not credible. Like saying I have authority because I gave myself authority. Do you have anything other than the bible that gives you authority to speak on behalf of a god or gods? Perhaps a writing from the actual god????? Men cannot give themselves authority to speak for the gods.

June 28, 2013 at 11:44 am |

John Stemberger
      Ok, so here is where I get called arrogant. The Bible is the Word of God (remember it is not the words themselves but the voice of God that speaks into the soul as you read/hear the words) and God says you will have power and authority when the Holy Spirit dwells within you (remember Jesus said I must go so the counselor The Holy Spirit can come). That authority was evidenced by the power of the apostles that went from hiding in fear of their lives to proclaiming the Gospel and at Pentecost 3,000 were saved. The Christian faith as we know it sprang from that point.
      I have personally experienced the power of the Holy Spirit just as Christ said I would. That power has been given to me and it is the same authority given by Jesus to the Apostles. In that power I have and continue to break the bondage of sin in the lives of others and it amazes me to this day.
      The court overturned the peoples majority vote to restrict gay marriage between a man and women only. That authority only extends to the physical which as we know is temporary and will pass. Give onto Cesar what is Cesar's is what Jesus said and now gays can reap financial benefits not intended for two able bodied men but an outdated traditional marriage where the wife stayed home in an economy where she could not earn sufficient income to support herself and children. The courts have created inequality in the name of equality yet the Bibles position on equality has never changed. That is because the authority of the Bible is not affected by the will of man or the ways of man but God.

June 28, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
    • John Stemberger

So your answer to my question of producing a writing from a god is ...you did not produce one and simply as sume. There is no direct authority from a god. There is only writings of men that you as sume or trust what they say. As sumption leading to self proclaimed authority.

June 28, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • Camus

I don't think that is anything at all what he wrote John.
      Interesting how you did take what he said, refined it and molded it to fit what you want him to say though.

June 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm |

Camus

I don't think that is anything at all what he wrote John.
      ---------
      Actually it was spot on as to his thought process and what he justifies his authority on. Lets simply it again.... man wrote the bible. Man said what he wrote is the word of god. Man trust/assumes othwer man's writings are the words of god. Men claim if you believe their writings you speak with the authority of god. The core of it all is as sumption/trust.

June 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
    • John Stemberger

So back to my question which was not fully answered. Fred, can you produce the writings or book from any god? To clarify, directly hand of a god to paper, stone, metal etc? It is a yes or no type question.

June 28, 2013 at 2:28 pm |

John
      Is it the writing of men that gave authority to the constitution or the will of the people endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights ?
      "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" -sound familiar?

Now, taken to proper conclusion these people who believe in God (real or delusional matters not) are the source of power and that power is by the Holy Spirit for the believer and from no entity for the atheist.
      In short it is the atheist that is without any authority whatsoever other than what is given by man or self. You are a slave to man while I am a slave to Christ. Christ said you can only have one master. Amazing just how much truth there is in the Word of God.
      Oh, in case you remember Adam and Eve it was the desire of self that broke the bond with God and here we are.

June 28, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • Athy

I think fred's answer is "no."

June 28, 2013 at 2:39 pm |

John Stemberger
      What Christ wrote he wrote in the sand and all those who read it walked away in shame. Interesting that Christ's only writing was in the sands of time not on the paper of men. oops make that papyrus

June 28, 2013 at 2:39 pm |

fred

-------
      Fred, you are not answering the question....can you provide any writing from any god.....you keep quoting men...no gods. So yessssssssssss or nooooooooooo....it is a simple answer

June 28, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
    • John Stemberger

Not sure what part of my question is confusing or stumping Fred????????????

June 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm |

John Stemberger
      I do not know what god or gods you are speaking about so I cannot comment.
      I am not aware of any discovered written form of communication by God. Although the writers of the Bible were inspired by God and in some cases guided by God the written words were from men.

June 28, 2013 at 3:57 pm |

Fred,

.........Although the writers of the Bible were inspired by God and in some cases guided by God the written words were from men. When God writes His laws these days it is on the hearts of man. When God speaks it is to the soul of man.
      -----------------–
      This part is purely speculative, subjective, wishful thinking, as suming etc. It is not a matter of fact. It would seem your wording should start with ..."It is of my opinion and faith in men's writings" Do you disagree that you must have faith in the authors you claim to give you authority?

June 28, 2013 at 4:39 pm |

John Stemberger
      No, my lack of faith in the writers gets me in deep water fast. The Bible makes it clear Abraham, Moses all the way down to Saul of Tarsus were just men that made good and bad decisions. Faith must be in a higher authority than man and the Creator is as high as you can get. At that level we reach absolute everything (by default eternal, infinite, Omni this and that) such that there no possibility for error (perfection is perfection).
      This is why I see the Word of God at a different level than the words actually written by men. My faith is in God not man.

June 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm |

Fred,

I understand what you are saying. Without the men writing the NT or the Council of Nicea, there would be no Christianity. I understand your faith in a god...what I am saying is your faith started in the men who wrote the very things you consider "the words of god". Your faith/trust etc starts and is required to be in those men. If you didnt have faith in those men, there is no "good word".

Part of this discussion is an exercise or demonstration. You are avoiding what is the obvious origins of your faith.

June 28, 2013 at 6:28 pm |

John
      There is some truth to the extent that it was the words in the Bible which brought me to a conversion experience. It was the personal experienced presence of God that sealed my faith. Without that I would have returned to an agnostic world view on many occasions when the presence of God was nowhere to be found.

June 28, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
  5. Great...

Next they're going to tell me I can't sell my daughter as a se x slave. This country is going downhill.

June 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I bet the sale already happened. You just didn't get paid.

June 26, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
    • Science

Well Bill who is paying you and all the sock puppets on this page..................most are here, even fred >

There is a must see video for you and the sock puppets above...............Racheal will LOVE it !

June 28, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • Science

Well how is Bill this fine morning ?

June 30, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  6. Jeff

...not surprised by today's rulings. God has shown since the beginning that He will give people what they ask for...even when it leads to their demise.

The day you won't have to deal with us crazy Christians is coming sooner than you think. Oh you'll dismiss it as something science just has to figure out, but make no mistake, it will be biblical. Watch for the one world government and religion. It's closer than anyone would want to believe, but it's on the way. You'll unite in the guise of peace and harmony, but sitting on your throne will be Satan himself.

Chalk me up as mentally weak or whatever you want. Call me names, say what you need to...just remember, in the end it was you that rejected God and His people.

June 26, 2013 at 1:11 pm |

*yawn*

June 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • Colin

Relax Jeff, there is no God so nobody will be "mad at the USA."

June 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • Observer

Jeff,

As long as you pick-and-choose from the Bible, why not choose the Golden Rule next time?

June 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • The real Tom

The bit about "one world government" tells me that Jeff is a wackbasket.

June 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • oOo

Oh yawn is right. Another "cauldron of fire" from the dawn of spam.

June 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
    • Colin

"Chalk me up as mentally weak or whatever you want."

yeah....I think I'll go with that option.

June 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

I'm sure The Rapture is nigh.
      And when all the true, humble, pious, charitable, forgiving Christians ascend bodily to Heaven, the world will acutely feel the loss of both of them.

June 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • oOo

Oops. That is another "cauldron of fire" scare post from the dawn of spam.

June 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
    • sam stone

jeff: you have no authority to speak for god.

June 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • tallulah13

Jeff, I reject bigotry and injustice. I reject ignorance and superstition. If that means I reject your god, then your god isn't worth following.

June 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • Matt

"Chalk me up as mentally weak or whatever you want"

Yep that sounds as a fair description of you alright.

June 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • JMEF

Come on Jeff, step out give us a date and time, like Harold Camping you get three strikes.

June 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • Jeff

...sounds like you all have it figured out pretty well for yourselves...

I'm not preaching, speaking for God, or postulating in any way. I'm just saying, you will get what you ask for. God has shown that He loves you that much...even when being eternally separated from Him is the price.

Your refusal to listen and to value your selfishness above all else will be evident in the end. It was not...nor was it ever...God that damned you. It was you yourself.

June 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • Chris

Let's start infringing on your rights as a Christian.

June 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • sam stone

No, jeff, you are not preaching. You are just vomiting out empty proxy threats

June 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • The real Tom

What is "selfish" about being fair? What is "selfish" about loving another person? What is "selfish" about homosexuality? It's no more selfish than being straight.

June 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Amputee

I want my arm to grow back so I asked God, but it didn't happen so I guess Jeff is lying when he says that God will give you what you ask for.

June 26, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Jeff

Tom...the selfishness in those things you list are not evident today, but rather in the continued moral decay of our country. You may disagree with me that we live in an age that is morally corrupt, but that is my contention. Rulings like the one made today only further this country down that path. What was inconceivable in the past is what we live with in the present. We live in a, 'if it feels good, do it' society. There is a selfishness that exists in that behavior with ramifications that we cannot even fathom.

June 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
    • Well Duh

@amputee – God will give you what you ask for as long as what you ask for isn't another limb. He can cure all kinds of other things, cancer, mental disorders, diabetes, even cures those who can't walk... as long as they still have a leg to stand on of course, let's not get crazy and think God could do something we could actualy film or doc u ment. It would be like asking David Copperfield to perform magic tricks without any props and no slieght of hand.

June 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • The real Tom

It is YOUR opinion that it's morally wrong for gays to marry. I do not agree. Your contention that this is evidence of a corrupt society is faulty-gays have always been here and will always be here no matter WHAT your "god" says or what you imagine. That they wish to marry to establish a family hardly qualifies as "if it feels good, do it."

I see nothing selfish whatsoever in this issue. Marriage is not selfish, whether it's between a man and a woman or two people of the same gender.

I think it's laughable to believe that your god is going to punish the entire world because gay marriage is legal. What a crock of poop.

June 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Well Duh

@Jeff – "the continued moral decay of our country"

Have you read the bible Jeff? Like all the way through from cover to cover? Because if you had you might not believe that we are in some sort of moral decay when you have just about every horrid thing done in the bible, and not just by the bad guys. David murders Uriah and steals his wife and who get's punished? Their few day old child is struck by God but David get's to remain King. Lot get's ruffied by his daughters and yet nothing negative is ever mentioned about that. Slavery is condoned, murder of non-believers is sanctioned and abortion recipes are spelled out in great detail. And yet it's America that is in moral decline. The only thing truly in decline is the religious grip on the world and that is the most fantastic news humans have had in centuries.

June 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm |

Jeff

I'm not preaching, speaking for God, or postulating in any way. I'm just saying
      ------------
      Really think about what you said....and you have no authority to speak on behalf of god or any gods

June 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Well Duh,

you're funny!

There's a limitation to the powers of the omnipotent creator of the universe who can extrapolate a woman from a rib, but can't regrow a human limb.

Lizard tails though are no problem!

Hilarious!

June 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • Patrick in Wisconsin

I'm pretty sure Jesus said "love thy neighbor" not "f*** thy neighbor." Learn to read dude.

June 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Matt

And then the Odin, ruler of Asgard, will descend from the heavens and smash all the atheists (who have taken the form of ice monsters) into bits with his hammer in the name of righteousness. See, I can make stuff up too.

June 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • Maranatha

Jeff – amen and amen! As Daniel said, 'the wicked will not understand.'

June 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Damia Savon

Satan's greatest trick is convincing Christians he is god.

June 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  7. John Stefanyszyn

President Obama confesses that "freedom" is the light....that freedom is the will of his god.
    This is the consequence of "freedom"....for man to serve and magnify himself (the XES).
    This "freedom" also dictates that it is RIGHT to be free to worship any god.
    BUT ONLY Jesus Christ, Son of the One Creator Gid, will rule according to the Will of the Father ...and not according to man's love for his freedom to establish what is
    "good and evil" for his self interest.

June 26, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
    • CommonSensed

Wow...you and that Hindu hater sure post some whacked nonsensical diatribes.

June 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Your hero Jesus died over 2 millennia ago. Get over it.

June 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

Your god has no legal standing in the legislative process of the United States. This is a secular nation. Don't like it? Go ahead and leave.

June 26, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
    • sam stone

"BUT ONLY Jesus Christ, Son of the One Creator Git, will rule according to the Will of the Father"

Wow, iron age comic books are sooo convincing

June 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm |

John Stef,

You do not have authority to speak on behalf of gods or any gods

June 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • akmac64

You mean the Jesus whose original followers were Jews who considered him to be a Rabbi, not a god in any sense. The Romans hijacked that church for political reasons, not spiritual reasons. Your Jesus is the creation of a Roman emperor and his hand-picked stooges. Kind of like a current comic book super-character.

June 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • Damia Savon

Eris laughs at you. Her righteous discord shall sow strife among the non-believers. Her golden apples of truth will cause the terminally stupid to argue, fight and weep. She shall confuse them with facts. She shall torment them with irrelevance. All those who belief in the false gawd shall gnash thy teeth in impotent rage as the TRUTH is revealed to them.

Or maybe her greatness shall just go hang with the Flying Spaghetti Monster because Christians will destroy themselves anyway.

June 26, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
  8. CommonSensed

Hey, Huck...your God of Money called...he wants his golden calf back.

June 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  9. STFU

little disappointing; on TV, I was hoping to see reports about unforeseen shooting stars and owls flying during the daytime, I was hoping to see people wearing colourful robes are wandering the streets.

June 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  10. Pete

If Jesus wept it was because of the way many of his followers act, and not because of the Supreme Court ruling.

June 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

Ain't that the truth?

June 26, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
    • sonny chapman

I wonder if Jesus also wept when the People of the State of Texas protected themselves from further criminal activity by executing their 500th ?

June 27, 2013 at 10:58 am |
  11. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I'll need to wait until some serious analysis is available but it appears that:

Roberts and Scalia voted in the majority on CAL prop 8 as a violation of the 14th (equal protection) amendment (with Kennedy and Sotomayor in the dissent), yet

Kennedy and Sotomayor voted in the majority on DOMA as a violation of the 5th (due process) amendment (with Roberts and Scalia in the dissent).

This is very interesting (and encouraging) behaviour by the justices of the SCOTUS.

June 26, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
  12. Roger that

"Fox News Commentator Todd Starnes:

Supreme Court overrules God."

Well God also says that you can have slaves, but the government has overruled
    that as well.

June 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
  13. Which God?

To Mike Huckabee: Go pound sand, idiot.

June 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
    • Roger that

"Jesus wept"

Jesus was weeping for joy. He was probably gay himself.

June 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • sam stone

Same to Rick "frothy mixture" Santorum

June 26, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
  14. EnjaySea

Both of Huckabee's statements only make sense in the context of an existing god. I throw out his comments because he doesn't have enough evidence to proceed.

June 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  15. Hitler did nothing wrong

Next up, moron liberals and stupid atheists demand right to marry their pets.

June 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • EnjaySea

Ah, the familiar, social conservatives', "what next?" argument.

Invent a ridiculous consequence of a decision, then complain about the decision because it could lead to the ridiculous.

June 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
    • The real Tom

And you'll be single no matter what.

June 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
    • The real Tom

What they can never seem to answer is why, in all the states where gay marriage is already legal and has been for some time, not a single negative consequence has occurred.

Idiots.

June 26, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • AverageJoe76

Is your name supposed to be a joke, or are you serious? Either way, it's offensive as a MF.

June 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
    • Which God?

You are a warped individual, and a parasite on humanity. Go sukk up to your jeebus, I hear he wants to come again.

June 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • Observer

Hitler did nothing wrong,

Apparently you're not bright enough to see a difference.

June 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
    • meifumado

Your ignorance is showing.

June 26, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
    • sam stone

Eat your sidearm, Hitler

June 26, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
    • CommonSensed

Well, you're the one who thinks the murder of 10 million innocents in the name of blonde hair wasn't a bad thing.

So...pretty much sums up you're not worth the air you breathe.

June 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • Truth Prevails :-)

Oh my, one more dolt who doesn't comprehend anything outside of their buybull. You're on the wrong side of history, time to go back to your cave!

June 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Yes, those slippery slope arguments against a change generally do not happen after the change.

June 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • Hitler had Syphilis & Parkinsons and was addicted to Meth

Which is why so many southern white supremecist meth dealing trailer trash like him so much, much like the poster HDNW. The typos in his posts are just the shakes from needing more meth or the occasional tooth falling on his keyboard.

June 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • The real Tom

Parkinson's Disease is not in the same league as syphilis or meth addiction. Please don't joke about it.

June 26, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • Hitler was treating his Parkinsons and Syphilis with Meth...

Parkinsons is no laughing matter, I agree, but the fact that the Fuhrer was sending the sick and infirm and disabled to the gas chambers while he himself battled with a disability is telling of his twisted ideology and the double standard he maintained, not unlike the double standard the Christian right maintain over so much of their ideology. They scream down with abortion while 80% of those getting abortions profess to be Christian. They scream down with gays, while dozens of their religious leaders like Ted Haggart get caught with their hands in the nookie jar. It's just the hypocrisy that I find both amusing and disgusting.

June 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Hitler did nothing wrong

Single just like you tom?

June 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • Patrick in Wisconsin

Someone obviously never heard of Aristotle...

June 26, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • cedar rapids

ok so HDNW is an obvious troll as there is no way he can claim to be a believer with that hatred.

June 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • akmac64

Your screen name says all that is needed about the validity of anything you say.

June 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
    • Damia Savon

Nahh conservatives want to marry animals. They are the only ones who constantly bring up that desire. What is it about conservatism that makes them want to do animals?

June 26, 2013 at 9:54 pm |
  16. Cpt. Obvious

Huckabee's comments make him sound like a whining dovche.

June 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
  17. The real Tom

So pleased at the SCOTUS decision on Prop 8 and DOMA. And so disgusted by Mike Huckabee's tweet.

June 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I suspect Huckabee will come to regret his sour gr@pes.

But I suppose he's a paid bloviator these days so perhaps it doesn't matter.

June 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • Which God?

Huckabee is the Huckleberry Hound of the xtian bloviators, spouting on about a god they can't see, hear, or touch. However they do claim that when you "ask" this god to enter your heart, wonderful things happen. Compassion for others is not one of the things. Prejudice takes hold instead, and a feeling of superiority reigns in their hearts, all because they hear voices in their heads, claimimg that it is their lard and savior, jeebus cripes

June 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
  18. Cpt. Obvious

Reason wins again.

June 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Oddly enough, the ruling had nothing to do with religion. It neither praised or condemned it.

June 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • The real Tom

Who are the people most upset by this ruling, US?

June 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Why would the ruling have anything to do with religion?

The United States does not have an established religion. Religion does not and cannot form any part of our law. That is in part why the justices had to make the decisions they did.

June 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@The real Tom- don't know yet. Seems the atheists are overly happy about it for some reason. I wonder how honest their giddiness is. Are they happy that these people have more equality or that it's another way they can poke fun at religion?
      Sadly, I think they are happy because it gives them something to put down religion. Kind of pitiful in my opinion.

@I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV- "Why would the ruling have anything to do with religion?"

I don't know but so may atheists on here seem to think it does.

June 26, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • The real Tom

US, I would venture to guess that most atheists have liberal views on social issues and would be rejoicing about this ruling on any blog, not just this one. The fact that Mike Huckabee has his panties in a twist over it is reason enough for ridicule of the crazies.

June 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@The real Tom- I never have understood why anyone cares about what any former governor thinks about anything. Personally I could care less what Huckabee, Clinton, Palin...etc have to think on any of these subjects.

If a liberal wants to cheer for the passing of this...fine. But for the most part, the people on here that are happy are not identifying themselves as liberal but atheist. They are also not identifying the opposition as much by conservatists as religious. I still find much of their happiness as disingenuous.

June 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • The real Tom

Well, you can find it disingenuous if it pleases you to do so. Don't let me rain on your parade.

June 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
    • Pete

Since Conservatives are for smaller government a true conservative would support this decision because the government has no business telling people who they can marry.

June 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@US,

The problem isn't people who are genuinely religious. We all believe in religious freedom.

The problem isn't people who hold a conservative political viewpoint. We all believe in the concept (if not always the implementation) of our democratically-elected republic.

The problem is the religious right – those people who hold that the United States is beholden to Christian "rules" and wish to exert religious views as law and use religion as a political tool to dismantle the wall of separation.

June 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

@The real Tom- no worries, you couldn't if you tried

@Pete- it's a safe bet that the govt is not going to get smaller because of this ruling.

June 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm |

Why would I bother?

June 26, 2013 at 2:17 pm |

Why indeed?

June 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • John Stemberger

When there is an issue regarding a win for rights, people tend to celebrate. Clearly the ones upset at the ruling are making this a religious issue. Oppression in our country has its roots in religion. Blacks, women and gays

June 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • cedar rapids

'I don't know but so may atheists on here seem to think it does.'

because 99% of the people that disagree with gay marriage do it because their religion says its wrong?
      It is more than a touch disingenuous to try to claim that the opposition to gay marriage isnt for the most part a religious one.

June 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
  19. TheRationale

And religion continues down the path it's been going down for centuries – away.

June 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  20. Steve

'god of the world' wins again!

June 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • sam stone

it's about equal rights. if that bothers you, leave this world and go snivel in front of your god

June 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • CommonSensed

Which one?

June 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • DnD

Hopefully the Nepali women will get her citizenship soon, this's 'bout 'equal rights' for gays in love and want to help immigrants lovers with their process.

June 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • tallulah13

Justice wins. Fairness win. The fact that christains are whining is a reflection on their own unfair and unjust beliefs.

June 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • DnD

Yet another one posted above 😉

June 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm |