home
RSS
June 27th, 2013

Not all religious convictions are written in stone

Editor's Note: Rachel Held Evans is the author of "Evolving in Monkey Town" and "A Year of Biblical Womanhood." She blogs at rachelheldevans.com

By Rachel Held Evans, Special to CNN

(CNN) - There’s a misconception among many faithful folks that religious convictions, by their very nature, are set in stone.

People who change their minds are called flip-floppers or backsliders, accused of capitulating to culture and “conforming to the world.”

But some of the most recognizable names in the Christian story experienced changes of heart: Paul, Augustine, Martin Luther, C.S. Lewis and Madeleine L'Engle.

In my own life, questions and doubts have served as refining fires that keep my faith hot and alive and bubbling where certainty would only freeze it on the spot.

I’ve changed my mind about a lot of things—the age of the Earth, the reality of climate change, the value of women in church leadership, the equal failings of both the Republican and Democratic platforms to embody the teachings of Jesus.

Like a lot of evangelicals, I grew up in a religious environment that vilified LGBT people.

I remember attending a Christian conference in which liberals were derisively referred to as FOGS (friends-of-gays). I laughed along with the speaker, albeit nervously, dismissing the voice in my head reminding me that Jesus was ridiculed for his choice of friends, too.

Today, I am honored to be the friend of many LGBT people, and I celebrated along with them as Exodus International closed its doors and as the Supreme Court ruled the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.

I know sometimes it seems like evangelical Christians are unyielding and unwilling to change, but as I scrolled through my Facebook feed this week, I saw a mixture of responses from my Christian friends — some joyful and some dismayed.

I noticed that several friends who had been at that very same conference so many years ago boasted red equal signs as their profile pictures.

In his book “Velvet Elvis,” Rob Bell writes:

“Times change. God doesn’t, but times do. We learn and grow, and the world around us shifts, and the Christian faith is alive only when it is listening, morphing, innovating, letting go of whatever has gotten in the way of Jesus and embracing whatever will help us be more and more the people God wants us to be.”

A person of conviction is not one who is unyielding to change, but one whose beliefs evolve based on new information, new movements of the Spirit, new biblical insights and, yes, new friends.

There’s a story in the New Testament about a Roman centurion named Cornelius, whose fear of God and care for the poor was widely known among the people.

After receiving a vision from God, Cornelius sends for the apostle Peter, who agrees to meet with him, even though it was forbidden for a Jew to associate with a Gentile.

Peter, an observant Jew, had been wrestling with the idea of including Gentiles in the church. But when he encounters the sincere faith of Cornelius, he is moved to declare, “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right!”

Peter changed his mind, and the church would never be the same.

Despite deeply held religious convictions regarding circumcision and dietary restrictions, he led the way in opening the doors of the church to all who would enter, regardless of ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status or religious background.

We can learn a lot from Peter — not only from his inclusiveness, but also from his willingness to change his mind.

Like Peter, God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. And that I should not think so highly of myself as to assume I’ve got this faith thing all figured out.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Rachel Held Evans.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Church • Culture wars • Faith • Gay marriage • Gay rights • Opinion • Politics

« Previous entry
  1. Ron

"This is the work of God, that you believe in Him Whom He has sent". ...Jesus (John 6:29)

June 27, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
    • myweightinwords

"We could have been killed! Or worse, expelled!" Hermoine Granger, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore— While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door— "'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door— Only this and nothing more." Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven

June 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
    • Athy

Gaily bedight, a gallant knight, in sunshine and in shadow,
      Had journeyed long, singing a song, in search of el dorado.

E A Poe

June 27, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

One of your perfect God's failings: that so many do not believe.

June 28, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
  2. ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

Who says word of truth absolute are written in stone? but rock, not of a matter, but of resolve of truth absolute to be followed by rock, resolve of HIS, creation. Word rock means, not a stone, but resolve by divine language, because matter does not exist by it self, but only in understanding of human. source of human existence to be. A hindu secular Swami, ignorant self centered shaman may have an opinion in opposition to truth absolute.

June 27, 2013 at 8:25 pm |
    • STFU

shut up you filthy hijra terrorist diseased ass muslim, your hind hurts,

June 27, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
    • NESTLE FOUNDATION OF OVALT INE

The fool's head hurts too from being so empty.

June 27, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

At last you are learning to wright language the right way, even though your hinduism absurdity does not make any sense.

June 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • Science

Hey ism bot.

Inside the Minds of Murderers: Impulsive Murderers Much More Mentally Impaired Than Those Who Kill Strategically

June 27, 2013 —

June 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
  3. GOOD NEWS

Gay people are not unclean, or impure, what they do is.
    They are welcome in the House of the LORD.

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES

June 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
    • myweightinwords

There is nothing impure or unclean about love.

June 27, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
    • Observer

GOOD NEWS,

Why is God worried about what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom while children are being slaughtered, for instance?

June 27, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
    • lionlylamb

June 27, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
    • ISLAM FOUNDATION OF AMERICAN CONSTI TUTION

hind of hindu gay ism ,filth of mind of hind love ism is not any less damaging to human health. then physical hind, filth. One has to avoid both of them to stay healthy.

June 27, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
    • NESTLE FOUNDATION OF OVALT INE

@ISLAM

Nope

June 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • myweightinwords

lionlylamb,

You do realize that LGBT folks want to get married because they LOVE each other, right? It isn't all to do with sex. Why do Christians spend so much of their time thinking about other people having sex?

June 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • Psst...

You know nothing about how deeply gay people love, ll. Do not equate your juvenile thoughts of sex with the true, meaningful acts of love that two committed people show each other.

GOOD NEWS, where does consumating a marriage with a 9 year old fit in? That is clean and Godly? Please.
      Don't insult gays when your own prophet is unclean AND criminal.

June 27, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
    • lionlylamb

myweightinwords,

Wherein hell did you ever get the idea that I was peeking in on the gay's bedrooms and their doing unfathomable and unpardonable acts? I know you claim to be bisexual. Were you 'born that way' or did you become socially fixated thru your lifetime?

June 27, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
    • midwest rail

Your decimation of the English language is unpardonable. And mwiw got the idea because you brought it up. Doofus.

June 27, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • myweightinwords

LL, you said "Acts of the sexual kind is not love. Love is an emotionalism and sex is not love!"

That is where I got the idea that the only thing you can see when it comes to gay people is sex.

I don't "claim" to be bi-sexual. I AM bi-sexual. And yes, I was born this way. I didn't recognize it when I was younger because I had no frame of reference for it, but looking back once I realized who I was, I can clearly see that I always have been who I am.

June 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Psst...

I see your discomforts. Are you inferring that heterosexuals are inferior when they practice the trade? Is there a bisexual gene to be found or only a gay gene? What about the hetero gene? What about there being a god gene or devil gene?

June 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
    • Really-O?

@lionlylamb – "Psst..."

Reductio ad absurdum...really?

June 27, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
    • lionlylamb

myweightinwords wrote, "And yes, I was born this way."

Show me your genes declaring you to be bisexual and I might take it into considerations. Until then the court is adjourned.

June 27, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
    • myweightinwords

LL, there is FAR more to genetics than an individual gene. There are many factors that go into our gender identity and sexual attractions and many of them are genetic.

I mean, honestly, who believes that a 5 year old chooses to be gay? And yes, I know 5 year olds, most of whom had no exposure to homosexuality, who were very clear and adamant about who and how they loved, and remained so for their whole lives.

Just admit that you find gay sex icky and let it go.

June 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
    • HS

myweightinwords, you're babbling lies of men again.

June 27, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • HS

His truth doesn't n.egate the fact that h.omos3xuality practices have been handed down to all those that are willing throughout history.

Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the N.icolaitans, which I also hate.

Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

Amen.
      ______________________________________________________________________
      3531 // N.ikolaithv // N.ikolaites // n.ik-ol-ah-ee'-tace //

from 3532 ; n pr m

AV – N.icolaitans 2; 2

N.icolaitans = "destruction of people"

1) a sect mentioned in Re 2:6,15 , who were charged with holding the
      error of B.alaam, casting a stumbling block before the church of
      God by upholding the liberty of eating things sacrificed to idols
      as well as com.mitting f.ornication

June 27, 2013 at 10:21 pm |
    • The real Tom

LL, haven't you had enough beat-downs yet? Mwiw is going to make you wish your were never born.

June 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
  4. HeavenSent

Bob, you win the STUPS award.

June 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • Observer

HeavenSent,

You win the STUMPED Award.

June 27, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • lol??

Stumpy, you shouldn't cut off yer head by divorcing yer hubby.

June 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Observer, you phony act like you know scriptures when you know nothing except what believers provide you of His truth. Then you act as if had a BRAIN TO USE.

June 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
    • Observer

HeavenSent,

Speaking of phony, I'm still waiting for your proof from the Bible that God supports slavery because of unbelief.

STUMPED again? Don't you know scriptures? You CLAIM you do.

June 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Observer, no amount of your ridiculous insults will make me do your work for you. There goes the lies that atheists know scriptures better than well read Christians STUPS.

June 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
    • factchecker.org

HeavenSent is, in fact, STILL STUMPED!

June 27, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • HS

Stumped is what you STUPS are. LOL

June 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
  5. lol??

A&A's grew up in puppy mills.The Frankfurt School was so novel then. Now it's a tradition of men.

June 27, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
  6. lionlylamb

Again, which belief prospers the beholder? Godliness or godlessness?

June 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  7. Bootyfunk

"He tells the skeptical people who have gathered outside, “God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.”"

then i guess you're ignoring the bible. that book calls lots of people impure and unclean. good to see christians moving away from that terrible book. hard to get good ethics from a book that commands it's followers to kill g.ays, disobedient children, non-virgin brides and anyone working the weekend. the bible is an awful guide for good living.

June 27, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • lionlylamb

I pulled the log out of my eye so please pull the forest out of yours!

June 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
    • Science

Hey Loony you have the county forest stuck where the sun does not shine !

Snail Trail Reveals Ancient Human Migration

June 20, 2013 — Geneticists from The University of Nottingham have used snails to uncover evidence of an ancient human migration from the Pyrenean region of France to Ireland.

June 27, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
  8. lol??

You saw what happened when the Beast bestowed "equality" on Woemen.

..............................................60 million DEAD....................................

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. When the Qweirdos take their "rightful" control and leadership of the mob it ain't gonna be a church bake sale.

June 27, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • lol?? translation

I hate women and I poked a hole in my inflate a date with my needle dick. Woe is me.

June 27, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • Yoda

Obvious bag of useless wind the lol?? is.

June 27, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • Psst...

Christian women get over 80% of abortions. Where are they learnin this behavior? From the pulpit. Try harder, you neon git.
      You aren't fit to wipe the ass of 95% of the gay population. Try slandering your own homies.

June 27, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • lionlylamb

The kingdoms of mankind are fast becoming the whoredoms as of old.

June 27, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • psych ward staff

LOL. Someone should just put lol?? and lionly in a playpen together and let them try and out-bullshit each other. They could probably make money televising it. I'm sure one of the sponsors would be Depends.

June 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • Psst...

Just so you know, that's approximately 49 million fetuses that Godly CHRISTIAN woman aborted. 49 million more than ALL OTHER FAITHS, INCLUDING ATHEISTS are responsible for. The next time you want to point your nasty finger at "killer mommies", point to your nearest church pew, you atrocious hypocrite.

June 27, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Women aborting fetuses due to being involved with a coward who doesn't know Jesus' truth.

June 27, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
    • daphne

June 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

daphne, you posted "Coward? Oh, HeavenSent must be talking about the single Christian women who decide to abort. So she must not be happy with Jesus' performance in this regard – you know, not guiding them along."

Answer: Jesus didn't lie to man (meaning women too) that there is a glass ceiling they have to twist and contort ...to ensure their working life stays in orders. Man made carrot trick lies that keeps this delusion afloat.

June 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
    • John Stemberger

HeavenSent

--------
      You do not have authority to speak for a god. Also please produce the writings of Jesus

June 28, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • HeavenSent

John Stemberger, Jesus' writings are the Bible. You can go online if you're to cheap to buy a Bible. As for speaking for Jesus, we wouldn't have to if you knew, comprehended and applied His truth to your life. Since you refuse by believing the lies of satan, Christians will always speak His truth to allow it to surface from the piles of dung you folks shovel out to stay in denial.

June 29, 2013 at 8:30 am |
    • HeavenSent

Tom, stop stalking me with a barrage of your dummy handles. Why would a slew of folks 1. stand up for your lies? 2. Write in an article 3 or 4 from today's article?

June 29, 2013 at 8:35 am |
    • Austin

Tom is that you? How naughty of you!

June 29, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  9. mama k

One sect calls homosexuality an abomination while the next one (over four million members) in the same denomination is already performing gay marriage. One sect, the Westboro Baptist Church believes Americans are being killed at war because America is too kind to "fags". Many of these sects are equally divergent on the roles of women in society.

One sect believes that Jesus and Satan were brothers and that Christ will return to Jerusalem AND Jackson County, Missouri. Some believe the Pope is the Antichrist. Some believe Obama is the Antichrist.

Some believe that celibacy is the only option for certain people, or for people in certain positions. Many of the people from these same institutions advocate against abortion, but pretend not to understand the realistic benefit of the morning after pill or even basic contraception; their unrealistic wishful thinking is causing the death of many at the hands of disease.

Recently we learned from CNN of a child dying when their parents, members of a Christian sect in Philadelphia, as part of their faith, refused medical care. When incidents like the subject of this article come to light, many Christians are only too ready to try explain how another Christian's interpretation of ancient "scripture" is not quite right. Thirty one states have child abuse religious exemption laws. Faith healing churches have been linked to 2 dozen child deaths.

Conflicted right from the start, Christianity has resulted in extreme divisions, with each division trying to assert itself as some true messenger of the word of the Christian God.

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(Thomas Jefferson, from Notes on the State of Virginia, 1785)

June 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
  10. mama k

Poster "HeavenSent" says "Do gays still believe they were born that way?"

Christianity never likes being told it's out of date or just outright wrong. But that's where things stand right now on the topic of homosexuality. A lot of good scripture is going to do anyone when they simply fall behind current science.

Current psychology and biology both tell us differently. Read about epigenetics. It's not new although there was a very interesting recent article relating to homosexuality in last December's Quarterly Review of Biology. But we've known about the evidence of epigenetics in nature for quite some time.

Read about epigenetics and aphids:

Read about this recent post:

Read something! Don't just stay ignorant!

–The earth is not flat

–The sun does not revolve around the earth

–Being gay is not a choice

June 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • lionlylamb

I am a Christian for I was 'born' that way!

June 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • fred

What you do with your orientation is a choice and it does not matter if you are straight or gay. Sin caused by desire has been with us since Adam and Eve. Amazing how in this day and age atheists are so easy to deceive. You laugh at the talking serpent in the Garden then follow every word out of that deception.

June 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • Observer

fred

"What you do with your orientation is a choice and it does not matter if you are straight or gay"

Yep. Look at the HUGE number of divorced and remarried Christian ADULTERERS there are who CHOOSE to live in ADULTERY. Never a word from you telling all of your family/friends who are that they are not to live in adultery.'

June 27, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • mama k

Lol – not everyone wants to be a monk, fred. Get real.

June 27, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Fred,

I am a born again Christian! The kingdom domains of God lays within and inside all celestially based life forms upon a scale of such finite smallness the atoms are likened to being super small stellar regions of inner-spatial recognitions. I elected to come back to tis world for one reason. I have been sent here to let all know that everyone has been given life beyond the grave! All are to be saved no matter their illnesses. Be they physical, emotional or psychological, all of celestial life affirmations will all someday find themselves living upon the kingdom domains of God which are life's ongoing generations.

June 27, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
    • psych ward staff

Uh oh, he threw up his word salad again – clean-up on page 3, stat!

June 27, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • fred

mama k
      Sex is a convenient barometer of self denial. Lust and desire are best discussed in terms of sex because we all understand those desires (we were born that way). In short it was doubt and desire that enticed man out of the presence of God in the first place. We have been there ever since.
      If one is a monk to prove something or cover desire for something other than God then it is of no value. If one is a monk because that is the nature of who he or she is then it brings glory to God.

June 27, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • fred

Observer
      You do not understand the Word of God. You may have read various translations and see words only. Jesus gave a good summary; Love God and love your neighbor.
      Tell me Observer, do you love God?

June 27, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

fred

Sorry, no pencil sales for you today.

June 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • HeavenSent

m.ama k, d.enying or not k.nowing His truth doesn't n.egate the fact that h.omos3xuality practices have been handed down to all those that are willing,

Amen.
      ______________________________________________________________________
      3531 // N.ikolaithv // N.ikolaites // n.ik-ol-ah-ee'-tace //

from 3532 ; n pr m

AV – N.icolaitans 2; 2

Nicolaitans = "destruction of people"

1) a sect mentioned in Re 2:6,15 , who were charged with holding the
      error of B.alaam, casting a stumbling block before the church of
      God by upholding the liberty of eating things sacrificed to idols
      as well as committing f,ornication

June 27, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • Observer

HeavenSent,

Skip the HYPOCRISY.

How many divorced and remarried Christians have you told they are ADULTERERS and should divorce?

Number please. STUMPED AGAIN?

June 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

June 27, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • Observer

That's one of your all-time classic answers when it comes to HYPOCRISY.

June 27, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • midwest rail

"....unlike you, I mind my own business...."
      We have a new leader, most unintentionally funny post of the day. Don Pardo, tell her what she's won !

June 27, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • mama k

While ScentedTissue has her empty head buried in Gullible's Travels, others might want to read this page over thoroughly:

June 27, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • Observer

HeavenSent

"Observer, unlike you, I mind my own business and let the person involved make their own decision. Discussing sin is not making a decision for someone. It's called knowing His truth."

How many divorced and remarried Christians have you DISCUSSED THEIR SIN with them as ADULTERERS?

Number please. STUMPED AGAIN?

June 27, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • factchecker.org

HeavenSent is, in fact, STUMPED AGAIN!

June 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Observer, you posted "HeavenSent"Observer, unlike you, I mind my own business and let the person involved make their own decision." "That's one of your all-time classic answers when it comes to HYPOCRISY. So can we know that you will never again butt into the lives of gays and will let them make their own decisions without you telling them what to do?"

Answer: unlike you Observer, I allow His truth be known so that anyone can make an informed decision. Not hiding His truth with man made lies to stroke the ego of the sinner for your own gratification.

June 27, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • factchecker.org

HeavenSent remains STUMPED!

June 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Observer, are you so foolish you can't see my answer? Move your nose.

June 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm |
    • factchecker.org

HeavenSent has set a new record for being STUMPED so long!

Conrats, HeavenSent!

June 27, 2013 at 9:35 pm |
    • HS

STUPS I laugh at your bully techniques. Simple and amateurish. LOL

June 27, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • John Stemberger

fred

Observer
      Tell me Observer, do you love God?
      ------------
      It is not the word of god, rather word of men. Please provide the book that Jesus wrote?

June 28, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  11. Secular Humanist from Ohio

Why does humanity see slavery and servitude admirable?

June 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
  12. lol??

The Qweirdo IRS agents have one thing on their mind.

.............................................REVENGE...........................................

They alwayz WIN. Tigress BLOOD!!

Charlie, you better lay low.

June 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
  13. Observer

Bob,

\How about some quotes from the Bible supporting slavery?

Skip the pick-and-choose hypocrisy.

June 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
  14. lionlylamb

Which belief prospers the beholder? Godliness or godlessness?

June 27, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
  15. Bob

John 20:31 – But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

June 27, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
    • Athy

Oh, shit, Bob. Knock off the silly bible quotes, We're not in Sunday school.

June 27, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

I have made you sick and commanded you to be well. You are a bit of undeserving dust, surrounded in filth and shame, a wretched creature filled with sin and arrogance. I have made you and you have disobeyed me and are lucky to be alive. But fear not, for I have a plan just for you in mind.

June 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • sam

Are you trying to exorcize the comment section, or is this just rampant OCD?

June 27, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Do you have anything of your own to add to the discussion, or are you just scripture bombing hoping to flush out someone desperate and self-hating enough to believe you?

June 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • UncleBenny

The Game of Golf consists of playing a ball with a club from the teeing ground into the hole by a stroke or successive strokes in accordance with the Rules.

Rules of Golf 1-1

June 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
  16. Bob

Romans 10:13 – For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

June 27, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
    • Secular Humanist from Ohio

June 27, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • UncleBenny

A player must not (i) take an action with the intent to influence the movement of a ball in play or (ii) alter physical conditions with the intent of affecting the playing of a hole.

Rules of Golf 1-2

June 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  17. Bob

John 5:24 – Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

June 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Athy

Verily, verily, you bullshiteth us.

June 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • UncleBenny

Players must not agree to exclude the operation of any Rule or to waive any penalty incurred.

Rules of Golf 1-3

June 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  18. Bob

1 John 5:13 – These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

June 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • UncleBenny

f any point in dispute is not covered by the Rules, the decision should be made in accordance with equity.

Rules of Golf 1-4

June 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
  19. Bob

Romans 10:9-10
    That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

June 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Athy

What sane person could possibly believe in such a preposterous story?

June 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Athy, d.enying or not k.nowing His truth doesn't n.egate the fact that h.omos3xuality practices have been handed down to all those that are willing,

Amen.
      ______________________________________________________________________
      3531 // N.ikolaithv // N.ikolaites // n.ik-ol-ah-ee'-tace //

from 3532 ; n pr m

AV – N.icolaitans 2; 2

Nicolaitans = "destruction of people"

1) a sect mentioned in Rev 2:6,15 , who were charged with holding the
      error of B.alaam, casting a stumbling block before the church of
      God by upholding the liberty of eating things sacrificed to idols
      as well as c.ommitting f.ornication

AND YOU THOUGHT YOU WEREN'T CONDITIONED.

June 27, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • Athy

Heaven Sent, your bumbling comment is totally irrelevant to me because it assumes that there is a supreme being. There isn't.

June 27, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
    • UncleBenny

A match consists of one side playing against another over a stipulated round unless otherwise decreed by the Committee.

In match play the game is played by holes.

Except as otherwise provided in the Rules, a hole is won by the side that holes its ball in the fewer strokes. In a handicap match, the lower net score wins the hole.

The state of the match is expressed by the terms: so many “holes up” or “all square,” and so many “to play.”

A side is “dormie” when it is as many holes up as there are holes remaining to be played.

Rules of Golf 2-1

June 27, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  20. Bob

Hebrews 7:25
    Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

June 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • UncleBenny

A hole is halved if each sideholes out in the same number of strokes.

When a player has holed out and his opponent has been left with a stroke for the half, if the player subsequently incurs a penalty, the hole is halved.

Rules of Golf 2-2