home
RSS
July 14th, 2013

Twitter theme: Zimmerman will face a higher Judge

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) - As news spread on social media of the not guilty verdict in the Trayvon Martin case, a religious theme soon emerged: Sooner or later, a higher authority will judge George Zimmerman

Martin's mother, Sybrina Fulton, may have been the first to express a version of this theme:

Football star Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings echoed those words:

That view crossed racial lines. Christopher Epting, an Episcopal bishop in Chicago, simply said:

Joshua Dubois, the former director of the White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Initiatives and a Pentecostal pastor, drew on the Bible for this tweet:

Author Shirley Strawberry cited the Bible as well.

Some, like singer Josiah Bell, seemed to take some solace in the idea of divine justice.

But others put a frustrated spin on the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous phrase about morality.

Soul singer Betty Wright drew flak for saying that Zimmerman will end up in hell.

Finally, some Christians noted the irony of this Sunday's Bible reading for many liturgical churches: The story of the Good Samaritan:

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Church • Courts • Ethics • United States

1. God wears panties

Wont be long until Trayvon and George are forgotten. Move along now ..........

July 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Kroth the Former Bunny-Hammerer (now serving chalupas at Taco Bell)

I will never forget George, or John, Paul, and Ringo

July 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
      • Random thought

I will not forget Abraham, Martin, John and Robert.

July 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Dippy

You're, not your.

July 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  2. His panic

I have been saying all along that those who trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Son will not Panic. All others will Panic in due time. GZ did Panic, TM may have Panic and when Panic sets in and takes hold of your heart and mind, bad things do happen, will happen.

Anxiety leads to fear, fear can lead to Panic and Panic leads to stampedes and riots. We are all seen it all over again. Animals do Panic and go into stampedes but do not get into brawls and riots. People under stress, anxiety, fear and Panic get into all kinds of undesirable situations like brawls, fights riots and stampedes.

All of them will and have Panicked but those who trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic. All others will indeed Panic. Don't want to Panic? Don't want to be overtaken by anxiety, fear and Panic? Trust God and His Son Jesus Christ and you WILL NOT Panic!! All other will Panic.

July 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Petrograd

Panic can actually be the best response. If a gunman starts shooting up your theater, the ones who panic and flee immediately have a better chance than those who savor their goddy wonderfulness and get shot because they didn't respond instantly.

July 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
      • His panic

Clearly you are suffering from anxiety and fear. That can lead to a state of total Panic, which will eventually get you into some of the undesirable situations I mentioned. Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son and you WILL NOT Panic.

July 15, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

"Trust is but an earned social disposition"... and not an emotionalism to be handily obscured by spirited beneficiaries...

July 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
        • His panic

lionlylambastic2013,

If it ends in an "ism" chances are it is a fanaticism. Fanaticism is also a source of brawls, fights, riots and Mass hysteria occurrences as we often see in stadiums and other events. However those who really really trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic. Neither will fall victims of anxiety, fear or Mass Hysteria.

July 15, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

Panic,

So,,, emotionalisms and mannerisms are fanaticisms then? It seems to me that your socialism is yet unstructured...

July 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
        • His panic

lionlylambastic,

Seems to me you are seeing socialists everywhere and all around. That to me at least, is a clear and sure sign that either, you are borderline in a state of Panic, you are a fanatic or you have no clue of what socialism is. In any case those who trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic.

July 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • bostontola

Panic, an overwhelming fear that produces hysterical or irrational behavior, and that often spreads quickly through a group of persons.

Sounds like religion.

July 15, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
      • His panic

Claiming religion, having religion, practicing a religion does not equals neither is the same as Trusting God and Jesus Christ God's Only Son. Therefore, and again those who do really, really trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic. All others WILL Panic. Yeah... I did forget ma-ss hysteria didn't I? Thanks for reminding me!

July 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
        • bostontola

panic is a natural response. in your world vision, it was created by your god. it provides a useful mechanism in some cases to avoid death. like all human responses it can overload, panic isn't the only response that can be overloaded, so what is your point?

July 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
      • Salero21

bostontola, oh what can I say? He/she/it, is just another atheist who can't understand that having or practicing a religion is one of those traits that separates and differentiates us HUMAN beings from animals. That's why atheists are below the level of animals. They are like rabid wolves always howling around the Belief blog. That's why Jesus called them dogs, goats, swine and wolves.

July 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
        • His panic

Be nice Sal. There are ways to tell the Truth in Nice ways. 😉

July 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
        • bostontola

Salero,
          leaving the childish insults aside, do you really think humans are not animals?

July 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
        • jazzguitarman

Salero is so confused that he\she doesn't even know that they are an animal. I guess when one believes in myths they lose all rational thoughts.

July 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
        • A Frayed Knot

Salero,
          "That's why Jesus called them dogs, goats, swine and wolves."

And sheep and fish...

Calling people nasty names is juvenile and base.

July 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
        • bostontola

Salero,
          you said atheists are below the level of animals. Then you said we are rabid dogs. Aren't rabid dogs animals?

July 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
        • ME II

@Salero21,
          The first step to committing atrocities is dehumanizing the "enemy".

July 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
        • Just the Facts Ma'am...

Sad people who hate themselves enjoy calling other people names and try to bring others down so as to feel better about themselves. Sadly, that feeling only lasts for a brief moment before the person feels empty and alone and has to invent some imaginary friends to talk to since they have no real friends.

July 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

Be careful Sal,,,

Calling us creatures to be as animalisms does the animal kingdom wrongly... For our creatural essences are being subserviently divided by our own lots of social ambitions toward becoming the dominant "Alpharians"... My lowlife stance gives me a sensitive upwards outlook of sorts... I keep myself articulately enamored within the written aspirations of verbalized commonwealths while trudging along the low hanging limbs of the most servile of peculiar social circles...

July 15, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
        • Salero21

Jesus said so!! I feel free to quote him because I'm free to quote him.

July 19, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
  3. Random thought

Will you watch the NFL murder trial with as much enthusiasm and vigor?

How about the Colorado midnight mass murder trial?

Or even the Boston bomber murder trial?

July 15, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
    • His panic

I rather watch the Cartoon Network! 😀

July 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
      • Which God?

So, his panic you watch the ETW channel and all the tv preachers as well? I have to admit, they are a hoot. I LMAO at them.

July 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
  4. Random thought

Did you watch the verdict read Saturday evening on CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, ABC, CBS, NBC, FBN, or your local news channel?

July 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Akira

On my local news channel. Why?

July 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • Random thought

Just taking a random poll.

July 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • His panic

I don't remember which of the 3 major networks it was.

July 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • Peter

I didn't know about it until I read the paper on Sunday morning, as I don't really care when someone I don't know shoots someone else I don't know 1000+ miles from my house as it happens daily, and if I got worked up over it life would be pretty miserable.

July 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • Kroth the Former Bunny-Hammerer (now serving chalupas at Taco Bell)

I ignored the entire trial, even the verdict. My best guess is that I was reading Catch-22 at the time.

July 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
      • Random thought

Are you sure you were not reading "Catcher and the Rye" with your baseball glove in hand?

July 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
      • His panic

I'll never visit a Taco Bell again; thanks for the warning!

July 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
        • Random thought

Yeah, that is not sour cream on those taco supremes.

July 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm |

Ew.

July 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
  5. LAborn

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. —Hebrews 4:13

July 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • bostontola

Great quote. Do you mind if I use that next disaster?

July 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • Petrograd

God only punishes the failure to be his groveling sycophant. He forgives all crimes if you kiss up, and if you don't it doesn't matter whether you are the nicest person or the most murderous.

July 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
      • Salero21

Nicest person? Really! And of course may I ask; Who could that be? Really only an atheist could come up with such a charade, such a mockery.

July 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
        • Candiano

Oh, I dunno, Bill Gates comes to mind.
          Salero, you are not an example, so.....?

July 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  6. A Little Rationalism

The prosecution never had a strong case.

Their key witness was combative and used the phrase "That's ret.ar.ded" on the stand. Not exactly endearing towards the jury.

There were no witnesses that stated they saw GZ start the fight with TM.

Several witnesses stated they observed TM on top of GZ pummeling him. The injuries to the back of GZ's head were consistant with having one's head pounded into concrete.

There were many "what ifs" and "could haves" in the prosecution's case, which alone, leaves room for reasonable doubt.

I believe, regardless of who threw the first blow, that once TM proceeded to bash GZ's head into the sidewalk, he escalated the altercation from simple battery to lethal force. The blunt force trauma could have killed GZ. So he responded with the use of deadly force. It's like that old saying, "Never bring a knife to a gun fight."

At the end of the day, the prosecution's case was weak to begin with and I believe that the verdict of "not guilty" was the correct one due to a lack of evidence. Innocent until proven guilty.

July 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
    • Flint Fredstone

May Zimmerman be your neighbor and not mine.

July 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • A little more please

There were no injuries that supported his head being pounded into the concrete. A pounding consistent with anything demonstrated in court would have resulted in a skull fracture. The injuries he sustained were more consistent with a grazing.

July 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
      • Susan StoHelit

Simply not true. Hitting someone's head into concrete doesn't leave huge marks. The brain takes the hit more than the skin.

July 19, 2013 at 4:19 am |
    • Brother Maynard

I posted this arguement a couple pages back .... but seem worth repeating.
      Cops come TM says " I was coming back from store [ shows his skittles ] , he was following me, I got scared, confronted him, saw he had a gun, used deadly force because I feared that my life was in danger "
      Again the defense would only have to show resonable doubt.
      Discovering that your pursuer ( sp? ) had a gun seems like resonable doubt to me.
      The problem is the law it is totally subjective.

July 15, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • ME II

"I believe, regardless of who threw the first blow...."

July 15, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • A Little Rationalism

"Let's switch the situation around. TM is walking home, he is being followed, he fears for his life, he throws the first blow, he discovers that GZ has a gun, NOW he is really scared mounts GZ bashes his head in and splits his skull. GZ dies.
      Again the defense would only have to show resonable doubt.
      The problem is the law it is totally subjective."

That's a different scenerio altogether. You're talking about two people walking, one pulls a gun and someone gets shot. That's murder. This is talking about a person who (as far as we know) was in fear for his life and responded.

In your scenerio, GZ reveals that he has a gun has already threatened a person with deadly force. Therefore, everything, up to and including killing the person is reasonable. So, TM sees GZ has a gun, grabs the gun and shoots GZ with it. Reasonable force, because one could conclude, if GZ gets ahold of the gun, he might use it against TM.

Now, if TM had grabbed the gun, pistol-whipped GZ in the head with it, tied GZ up and threw him in a swamp where an alligator ate him, it's no longer reasonable because the threat was gone once TM tied up GZ.

"I disagree. Once one person attacks, then I would the think that the other person can reasonably claim self-defense. Whether that self-defense should include lethal force might be a matter of opinion/judgement."

Most laws state you have to use the least amount of force necessary. So if TM just punched GZ in the nose and ran, GZ would have had no right to shoot him and should be tried for murder. What we have is, we don't know who threw the first punch, but we do know that TM was on top of GZ attacking him. GZ was lying on his back, his head hitting the concrete, his nose broken. That situation, one could, and has argued that reasonable force was used to end the conflict.

July 15, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • ME II

@A Little Rationalism,
      "Most laws state you have to use the least amount of force necessary."

I don't disagree, although I think the details here would be critical.

"What we have is, we don't know who threw the first punch, but we do know that TM was on top of GZ attacking him...."

True, we don't know, however, if GZ was the aggressor, then potentially TM was justified in attempting to use lethal force in order to defend against an attacker with a gun. If TM was "pummeling" GZ in order to prevent himself being shot, then that would seem justified.

My point is simply that 'who threw the first punch' might very well matter. (BTW, I'm not saying anything like that happened.)

July 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • A Little Rationalism

Fair enough. But is there any evidence to suggest that TM knew GZ had a gun? There were no fingerprints or DNA from TM on the gun. So I can only as.sume that TM didn't even know GZ had a gun until he was shot.

July 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
  7. palintwit

Sarah Palin has been strangely silent regarding this case. Is she ill, perhaps? (One can only hope)

July 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • Random thought

You take your queues from Al Sharpton and Rev Jackson anyway.

Sarah P doesn't have to weigh in on this issue. You wouldn't respect any thought or opinion she has on any topic. Give it, your guy won – remember? You got your black president as you requested.

He is now the National Healer in Charge.

Take his opinion. He has all the supreme being answers. Doesn't he?

Miracle in Chief, saviour of America and the world. Worship at his feet. Sarah don't care about you, didn't you get the memo.

July 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
      • palintwit

Sarah Palin = Grifter in Chief and Supreme Piece of Sh!t. Constantly duping her loyal little teabaggies while lining her pockets.

July 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
        • Random thought

Sorry to read your reply. You must be one s o b and love to live a crappy pathetic life.

Doubt Sarah gives you a thought.

Stop being so hateful.

July 15, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • palintwittwit

@palintwit,
      "Sarah Palin has been strangely silent regarding this case."

Never thought I would say this, but perhaps you should follow her example.

July 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
      • Random thought

Thank you!

July 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  8. bostontola

The news media is becoming a more negative influence in our society. They should provide perspective and context, but they inflame and sensationalize, all to improve their profits (I'm a big fan of profit in general). In this case they freely reported details that turned out false (with little retraction), and they made an individual case into a litmus test for our Justice system.

No individual case can be a litmus test for our Justice system. A unanimous jury, rules of evidence, etc. all stack the deck in favor of defendants. This is by choice, we subscribe to Blackstone's formulation, "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer". You can't have it both ways, protect the innocent and expect every defendant to be punished.

July 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • ME II

By my count, it's already up to 15 though.

jk

July 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
      • bostontola

I'm good with 15 or more.

July 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • Saraswati

If you talk to people in the field most report they have more freedom to do quality work in smaller or less competetive markets. This is another case where increased competi.tion doesn't always yield a better product.

July 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • Akira

I consider the news media, and talk radio, to be one of the biggest reasons for the political divide today.

July 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

There have been 310 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States.

• The first DNA exoneration took place in 1989. Exonerations have been won in 36 states; since 2000, there have been 243 exonerations.

• 18 of the 310 people exonerated through DNA served time on death row. Another 16 were charged with capital crimes but not sentenced to death.

• The average length of time served by exonerees is 13.6 years. The total number of years served is approximately 4,135.

• The average age of exonerees at the time of their wrongful convictions was 27.

Races of the 310 exonerees:

193 African Americans
      93 Caucasians
      22 Latinos
      2 Asian American

So only 12% of the population is black but we have double the number of wrongfully convicted blacks than whites. So the justice system works twice as hard to make sure they don't convict the wrong person when they are white, but you are SOL if you are black. Even with the uneven numbers of 40% of the prison population being black these exoneration numbers should give anyone pause.

July 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
      • Saraswati

The ratio for those convicted of murder is 2:1 black white, so we would expect 186 rather than 193. This is interesting but not outside the realm of chance. It would also be significant whether the murders were of a different type...for instance more white guys shooting up movie theaters in front of large audiences would mean their convictions were less likely to be overturned (and no, I don't really think that's a statistically significant group but am just using it as anexample). Also, since the white defendents on average will have had more money than the black defendents, they will have been less likely on finances alone to be falsely imprisoned, or imprisoned at all, so it is hard to separate finances from race.

July 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
      • bostontola

I didn't say there was no inequality in the justice system, I said the media inflames when they use 1 case as a litmus test, especially when the system is stacked in favor of defendants. There is bias in the system, you are severely disadvantaged if you can't afford a good lawyer. Without that good lawyer the defendant advantage is greatly diminished.

July 15, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
  9. Rynomite

Better that people think Zimmerman will face a mythological judge than they take vengance into their own hands.

Hey look! I guess religion IS occaisonally useful!

July 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • bostontola

That was my reaction as well.

July 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  10. lionlylamb2013

Bull hockey anyone?

July 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  11. BIG SHIZ

If god hates racist people (and I believe he does) that's like two thirds of the GOP.

July 15, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

The DEMs are more racist than the GOP because they have our community believing that it is almost always someone else fault. There is a reason that African immigrant child are starting to score as high in grades and apt'itude test.

They haven't been forced to drink the Liberal Kool-aid that only Pelosi, Reid, Clinton and Obama can save them.

July 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
      • Akira

You are aware that racism started long before the four people you named were even elected, are you not?
        And what you are doing is blaming liberals, which you have just posited like to blame everyone else? Have any answers, or are you just going to continue putting the blame on people you blame for putting the blame elsewhere?

July 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
        • Mark from Middle River

Yep, as a African American who was born in the South a bit ago, I sure am. Sadly, you can blame those racist of the past or you can point out the racist who are carrying the torch today.

And what you are doing is blaming liberals, which you have just posited like to blame everyone else? I blame them for not allowing the African American community to stand and grow on its own feet. It is time that our community, stops believing that a political party, who lives off of African Americans being poor and disenfranchised, really wants us to be any other than such.

Have any answers, ...

Yes, I do.

July 15, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
        • Akira

As I cannot view videos from my phone, would you mind posting the answers? Thanks.

Oh, and as the political system also includes Republicans, you championing their viewpoints, which has been blatantly shown to be racist in the past, is curious.

July 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
        • Mark from Middle River

Akira, the link was the Denzel Washington's scene in Malcolm X. The scene is very short. Malcolm X is walking through a university campus, enroute to give a speech, and a White coed stops him and admits that her people were evil and that she was not She then ask Malcolm X what can she do as White person to help his cause. His response was very simple.

"Nothing"

Crime and the gaps in education are something that we, as African Americans have been holding out for too long for those outside of our community to solve or even help us out of. The correction that needs to take place must happen within our community. Fighting the African American community are such Liberals who feel that we can not do and stifle any African American that finds that he or she, can.

There is a saying in the African American community that the Whites of the South were better than the Whites of the North because you knew who stood for what. I am a Republican but I am old enough to remember Democratic Congressman/ Grand Wizard of the Klan Robert Byrd. I can also remember the report of Clinton remarking that back in the day Obama would have been bringing him coffee.

What I am saying is that our community needs to look within our community only, to correct it. We also need to drop the never ending pursuit of ones like Sharpton who want to be the next Martin Luther King. The other day I asked a young African American who were their heroes. Lebron James was his response.

At that moment I wavered a bit and briefly wished he had said Al Sharpton... at least he is at least pointed in the general direction of King, Malcolm and Randolph.

July 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
        • Akira

How can you reconcile that the black community that votes, vote largly Democrat? How do you propose to change that?

July 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
        • Mark from Middle River

How do you propose to change that?How do you propose to change that?How do you propose to change that?
          The great thing is that it might happen naturally. Notice that all the attention from the Democrat party has switched to the Hispanic community now that they are the largest minority. Now the Dems are rushing over to them and maybe they will leave the African American community finally alone and forced to rely on ourselves to sink or swim.

July 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Alias

I have to dissagree.
      God had his chosen people, and it was okay to keep any other race as slaves.

That sounds racist to me.

July 15, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • ME II

@Alias is right, the OT was heavily in favor of Israelites.

July 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
  12. lionlylamb2013

What really has this T vs. G trial begotten socialism and governing bodies? Are not todays social circles being publically opened up giving governing bodies a "look see" into today's yes segregated socialists in order for governing judicial powers to stay abreast of seminary socialists currents ongoing ways? Public outrage is being shown in many areas of the nation but the fanfares for or against the T vs. G trial is being socially weighed-in and national governances are taking notice in order to see just how fractured socialism is...

July 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Public outrage is being shown in many areas of the nation but the fanfares for or against the T vs. G trial is being socially weighed-in and national governance are taking notice in order to see just how fractured socialism is...

Sorry, but there was more public outrage when Michael Jackson died/killed. As much as the media hoped for...the large Rodney King riots , did not happen. Even as the hours tick by today... Trayvon and Zimmerman are passing into American history.

The African American community is learning that the left leaning media wanted us to act like the animals that sprang up during the Rodney King riots.

From the African American community.... I am sorry CNN and MsNBC, you did not get the race riots you were hoping for.

July 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
      • lionlylamb2013

Good day Mark,

What I was making attempts toward elaborating upon is the ways in which socialisms are being held in check by televised séances of a conjuring manner wherein many noted hierarchies of socialist dissertations might just inflame their followers toward mass riots... this said, I can submit and admit that socialized justifications for warranted civilities become immorally the bargaining assets of the cultured races hiring ways... Maybe I am but a fruitcake... 😦

July 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

@Mark – that's pretty pessimistic. Do you really think they wanted race riots?

July 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
      • Johnny

I don't know if the media wanted them, but they certainly wouldn't have minded them if they happened.

July 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

True enough... unfortunately

July 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
      • Mark from Middle River

Yes, sadly if turmoil does sell, yes all of the news media wanted this to be the Rodney King riots or better the Martin Luther King riots.

The news does not movie on good and happy stories and riots sell. Look at the front page... this a huge racial divide in America? There are five people in that front page shot.... all of them could fit into the Toyota Prius in the background.

But to be serious, the build up for the fall out to this was amazing and it did not happen. If you click on the CNN link it shows a few people with their fist in the air and a old white lady with sunglasses. The news media, I feel, missed the boat on this story.

Try this, remember the old professor who was arrested at his own home. The officer and the professor were invited to the White House.. That blew over as well.

July 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
    • Geri

"....national governances are taking notice in order to see just how fractured socialism is…"

This country isn't socialist. Do try to use the word correctly. You and lol?? seem to not understand the meaning of the word.

July 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
      • lol??

Bloom knew exactly what socialism was and how to move a mob with peer pressure. He learned it at the Frankfurt School.

July 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
  13. Lycidas

Normally I don't use caps lock but for this once:
    THIS CASE WASN'T ABOUT RACE!!!

July 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Alias

It wouldn't have been about race, until the media made it about race.

July 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Zeus

If TM was anything other than a black male, this would have never happened so how can you say it had nothing to do with race?

July 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • Flint Fredstone

Actually, I rather think that race was a significant motivation for Zimmerman's actions that set this chain in motion. And I suspect that race played a negative role in how Martin responded. But you are correct that the actual case/crime only entails the actual struggle, and by that point it was just two dumb-dumbs in a fight, and the lack of evidence is what really made acquittal the only choice for the jury.

I wouldn't want either of these idiots in my neighborhood. I would not feel safer knowing Zimmerman was on self-elected patrol with a gun, nor would I feel safer knowing that Martin was in between arrests.

July 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
  14. Lucifer's Evil Twin

“Pastor Valarie Houston compared Trayvon Martin to civil rights icons Medgar Evans(sic) and Emmett Till.” Somehow I don’t think these are comparable…
    Medgar Wiley Evers (July 2, 1925 – June 12, 1963) was an African-American civil rights activist from Mississippi involved in efforts to overturn segregation at the University of Mississippi. After returning from overseas military service in World War II and completing his secondary education, he became active in the civil rights movement. He became a field secretary for the NAACP.
    Evers was assassinated by Byron De La Beckwith, a member of the White Citizens' Council. As a veteran, Evers was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.[2][3] His murder and the resulting trials inspired civil rights protests, as well as numerous works of art, music, and film.
    Emmett Louis Till (July 25, 1941 – August 28, 1955) was an African-American boy who was murdered in Mississippi at the age of 14 after reportedly flirting with a white woman. Till was from Chicago, Illinois, visiting his relatives in Money, Mississippi, in the Mississippi Delta region, when he spoke to 21-year-old Carolyn Bryant, the married proprietor of a small grocery store there. Several nights later, Bryant's husband Roy and his half-brother J. W. Milam arrived at Till's great-uncle's house where they took Till, transported him to a barn, beat him and gouged out one of his eyes, before shooting him through the head and disposing of his body in the Tallahatchie River, weighting it with a 70-pound cotton gin fan tied around his neck with barbed wire. His body was discovered and retrieved from the river three days later.
    Till was returned to Chicago and his mother, who had raised him mostly by herself, insisted on a public funeral service with an open casket to show the world the brutality of the killing. Tens of thousands attended his funeral or viewed his casket and images of his mutilated body were published in black magazines and newspapers, rallying popular black support and white sympathy across the U.S. Intense scrutiny was brought to bear on the condition of black civil rights in Mississippi, with newspapers around the country critical of the state. Although initially local newspapers and law enforcement officials decried the violence against Till and called for justice, they soon began responding to national criticism by defending Mississippians, which eventually transformed into support for the killers.
    The trial attracted a vast amount of press attention. Bryant and Milam were acquitted of Till's kidnapping and murder, but only months later, in a magazine interview, protected against double jeopardy, they admitted to killing him. Till's murder is noted as a pivotal event motivating the African-American Civil Rights Movement.

July 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
    • BIG SHIZ

Blah,blah,blah. No one's reading you're ranting and raving.

July 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
      • Lucifer's Evil Twin

I'm relieved to know that your mental acuity hasn't been a terrible burdon for you...

July 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
      • Akira

I read it, and its meaning was clear: Trayvon Martin isn't in the same stratosphere as Medgar Evans and Emmett Till, and comparing him to those two, in the context of civil rights martyrs, is disingenuous.

July 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
      • Dippy

Your, not you're.

July 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
  15. Alias

@Just the Facts Ma'am...

"A black male born in 1991 has a 29% chance of spending time in prison at some point in his life.

Nearly one in three African American males aged 20–29 are under some form of criminal justice supervision whether imprisoned, jailed, on parole or probation.

One out of nine African American men will be incarcerated between the ages of 20 and 34."

If you want to see something insightful, look at this by income level inatead of race.

July 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  16. I AM

If people want to honor Trayvon, then work in your neighborhoods to eliminate crime. Get rid of gangs and the products of those gangs. Educate your children .

July 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Sadly the Liberals have told our community that it is easier to blame others and that we should look towards our brothers and sisters, behind bars, as civil rights heros.

July 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • BIG SHIZ

If you want to honor Treyvon, don't profile black men.

July 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
  17. Tea Party Patriot

Q: What is the definition of a movie theater?
    A: It's a place where blacks go to use their cell phones.

July 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • BIG SHIZ

Q: What is the definition of a movie theater? A: a place where white people go to commit a massacre.

July 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
      • Saraswati

lol...good answer. But he won't get it.

July 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

If you're going to troll... at least make an attempt at being humourous...

July 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
      • BIG SHIZ

If you're going to express you're opinion...at least be a little right...

July 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

FYI "you're" means "you are"

July 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  18. Random thought

Is someone going to hold trayvon accountable for his crimes? Assault and Battery? May be in his afterlife, justice will be served from what he did wrong during his short life.

July 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • Akira

He's dead. How much more can he pay?

July 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
    • lionlylamb2013

Hello random T,

G was told not to follow T by a higher authority but; is it righteous to be confrontational?

July 15, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
      • Mark from Middle River

The 911 operator was not a police officer so he or she does not have the authority to order a private citizen

July 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

Good afternoon,

G wanted to report a suspicious person doing what people normally do in Life... go to a store by walking and then head home... so just because T had on a 'hoodie', does that give G the right to willingly want a confrontation especially when G had a weapon that may have mentally emboldened him to wantonly confront T?

July 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
        • Mark from Middle River

That is not the subject you posted on. You stated that a higher power, the 911 operator, told him not to follow Trayvon. I was simply pointing out that a 911 operator does not have such authority over you, me or Zimmerman.

I would also state that it is also not against the law to follow someone that does not have a restraining order issued by a court.

July 15, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

Kind Mark,

When someone utilizes 911 are they not wanting to do so in order to report their perspectives upon a situation? G may well have done so and was bitterly disappointed by the 911's authority advising G to cease following T. Your stance in saying G was not a copper is not where I stand... I said higher authority and G's desires for wanting an authoritarian by utilizing 911 is a way of submission to another authority is it not?

July 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

I wrote, "Your stance in saying G was not a copper is not where I stand"

I meant to say, "Your stance in saying G was not talking to a copper is not where I stand"

July 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
      • Random thought

Either you refer to AA and / or Hebrew National hotdogs when referencing a higher power.

Trayvon was a kid in trouble before he was shipped off to Sanford, FL to spend time away from being suspended from school twice in less than 6 months. Innocence of a child was lost a long time ago. This 17 year old man knew how to pick a fight and win, good training at home in south Florida. Just didn't expect someone to fight back.

No winners here, just two ruined lives, and sad families dealing with the pain.

July 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • Random thought

George has paid the price for wrongly charged.

Guess we even.

July 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
      • Akira

Do you have a point? What would you like TM to do, exactly? He is DEAD. I would say that GZ came out of the alleged assault and battery fine; he's ALIVE.

July 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
        • Random thought

Alleged, yes TM won't see the inside of a courtroom to answer for that crime or others he allegedly committed. Will he?

Afterlife may be the place he is held accountable. Like all of us will be.

What lessons can be learn? What changes can families make in how they raise their children?

Will we debate this issue?

July 15, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
        • Akira

You seem intent on blaming the victim. So be it.
          If Trayvon had Christ as his Savior, he already dwells in Heaven. If that is what you believe, that is. If not, he is in Hell.
          We don't know. We won't know. He is dead, and cannot say.

GZ has been acquitted, based on the evidence he was tried with. Whether or not he will use this to change his pattern of behavior, (for he most certainly has a past of violence, also) remains to be seen.

I sincerely do now know what you want out of this conversation. Therefore, I'm choosing to end it.

July 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

@Racist Thought – it's alright, just stand up and be counted. I am a white guy born in Ohio but I can see the hateful racism dripping from your every word. It's sad and disgusts me but that is your right.

July 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
      • Random thought

@JoeFriday want-a-be like George,
        You didn't understand the question. And, you don't live in south Florida where Trayvon is from. We do, and apparently his criminal behavior was not allowed as a factor to his state of mind when he attacked George and committed Assault and Battery. A continual pattern of behavior and mind set Trayvon had. His past got up to him, unfortunately. It would have happened in his neighborhood eventually. He showed no sense of right or wrong while he bashed in George's nose and smashed George's head against the concrete sidewalk.

July 15, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
  19. Akira

Saraswati: FWIW, I got it; I got it when you first talked about it months ago. It makes perfect sense to me.

July 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • Saraswati

Thanks. I actually was guessing you we going to be the one to come back and say that. 🙂

July 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm |

Lol! I guess I'm pretty predicatable...gonna have to change it up a bit! 😉

July 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
        • Saraswati

Nah...I just meant you are smart. I would have expected Really-O to get it too, but unless he's under another name I don't think he's around. If you are secretly also Really-O don't tell me. I want to believe in as many smart commenters as possible!

July 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
        • Akira

Why, thank you very much! And no, I'm not Really-O; I only ever post here as Akira, and very occasionally, Mrs. Pepperpot. When I'm feeling Python-ish, don't you know.

July 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
  20. lionlylamb2013

Life should be an adventure and not a disaster... for the destructions of individualities are unpleasantly to be avoided and G.Z. will have the rest of his life fearing others who might want a piece of him... and the sanctities of personhood will mar him and scar his life continuation. G.Z. will not find peace as it should so be. His deed is done and there is no honor to be found in destroying anyone's Life the way G did. His freedoms will never be what they once were...

July 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm |