home
RSS
July 15th, 2013

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

(Ahem.)

2) Activist

3) Seeker-agnostic

4) Anti-theist

5) Non-theist

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

6) Ritual atheist

Please try to keep your questions related to the study itself.

Thanks,
Daniel Burke

- CNN Belief Blog

soundoff (9,518 Responses)
  1. Awda Abut Tayi

I have a serious question for the theists, especially the evangelical Christians. Why did missionaries feel the need to go into the darks of Africa, the wilds of the Amazon, and the Far East to spread "the word"? That in itself casts doubts on their own piety. If their god was as omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent as they say, the "heathens" should have already known about it. Hmm?

July 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Sadly there is a pat answer to this question. Personally I think it is deliberately misguided but doubtless they can arm themselves with chapter and verse to suit.

"It is the responsibility (dare we say mission) for all those who have heard 'the word' to share it with those who have not."

July 15, 2013 at 9:26 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Regarding 'the word', everybody knows ...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184&w=640&h=390]

July 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

And of course:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIK3GXdkxL0&w=640&h=390]

July 15, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
  2. jamesmmartin

Hope you are not saying we atheists must belong to one category of the six or another. I find that I am comfortable being classified as (and actually am a part of) at least three types. I am trying to curtail my activism, but with so much religious stupidity in the world, it ain't easy.

July 15, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

No one says you should curtain your activism.

The purpose of these categories seems to be part of the process to disprove the notion (promoted by the religious right and their minions) that all atheists are militiant religion haters (the anti-theists).

The study demonstrates that anti-theists represent 15% of the non-believers surveyed.

July 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
      • Well put

Well put.

July 15, 2013 at 9:35 pm |
  3. Tron

Non-theist here, with bouts of Anti-theist from time to time. I don't believe in god/devil/heaven/hell or any other ridiculous fairy tale. I equate scientology just as ridiculous as Catholicism.

I really want nothing to do with any of it. I leave you people alone, so please leave me along (and stop knocking on my door forcing me to be rude to you).

July 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
  4. nycGirl

I am of the smallest group- group #5. I believe in live and let live. Don't preach to me and I won't preach to you. I will stand up for no prayer in public school and when called for jury duty, I instantly inform them that taking the oath on the bible means NOTHING to me. I loved the boldness of XTC's Dear God and it was the first time, I really knew I wasn't alone in my beliefs about religion.

July 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
    • Cry Havoc, and Let Slip the Frolicky Puppies of War!

If you do that in school and say that in court, you have more activist in you than you might think.

But they are just arbitrary constructs anyway, so be what you want.

July 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

It was the smallest group amongst the ~1000 non-believers surveyed.

I suspect that if all the religious "nones" were surveyed, the group labeled 5 would increase in size.

(And yes, I understand that the "nones" include belivers and SBNR too.)

July 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
  5. lionlylamb2013

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dx9z6xAr6c&w=640&h=390]

July 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
  6. Mark

You forgot one type, the "naive, materialistic, think they know it all, but don't" type.

July 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
    • Johnny Noir

Oh, that's from the Types of Christian list.

July 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

There are plenty of naive atheists around, but none are naive regarding theistic belief.

July 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
      • jessbca

This I find a little shocking. Most atheists I know (myself included) have read FAR more about religion, in all its many embodiments, than just about any person I know who believes in a god, or gods. We generally do not come to our opinions lightly or with little thought. In fact, most atheists I know came from a religious past and could not reconcile the beliefs of the religion with the world around them. We read, studied, sometimes tormented ourselves, but ultimately realized that god does not exist. But I just about guarantee I have read as much about religion as anyone who has gone to theology school. And probably read the same things, at least initially.

July 15, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
        • liveinpeace7

So true. It is so irritating when religious people assume non-religious people are ignorant about religion. I have 20+ years of Christian indoctrination under my belt and, like you, I realized that I just don't buy it. It doesn't jive. It's like when a kid finally realizes that Santa's not real. I feel like my eyes opened, and religion didn't have a place for me anymore... But I can quote the verses, I've heard the sermons. I know what these people have been brainwashed to believe. I am not ignorant. I have made a choice to reject it.

July 16, 2013 at 12:05 am |
  7. The atheist horoscopes

1. Your thoughtful and good with children. Your lucky number is 42.

2. You take a long time to decide something but your always right. Wednesday is a good day for you.

3. Beware of high tide and Capricorns. You're efficient but sometimes overworked.

4. You're a snuggle bunny and everyone likes you. Avoid tidal waves.

5. You've always wanted a puppy maybe now is the big day.

6. Excercise caution number six and success will be yours.

July 15, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
    • Cry Havoc, and Let Slip the Frolicky Puppies of War!

5! Oh yeah, puppies! Definitely 5!

July 15, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
    • bostontola

42; Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

July 15, 2013 at 9:14 pm |
      • Johnny Noir

I thought it had something to do with people not wearing enough hats.

July 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm |
    • I may not believe in God, but I believe in grammar.

You're

July 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
  8. Justin

Wow, fascinating. So many articles about atheism and faith being undermined and discarded. Thank you, CNN.

I'm REALLY looking forward to your future, well-researched articles, on 6 kinds of Catholics, Evangelicals, Orthodox Jews, Reform Jews, Shia, Suni and many other denominations. I can't WAIT for CNN to spend as much fair airing on these beliefs as they have atheism.

As for Catholics, I'm sure CNN will go into enormous depth on Augustine's City of God, Aquinas Summa Theologia, the problem of evil., etc.

I won't hold my breath...

July 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
    • Really now

All those groups do get articles. What are you so butt-hurt about, that atheists got an article where they weren't called haters? Did CNN not tell you what you wanted to hear? Poor you.

July 15, 2013 at 9:14 pm |
      • jazzguitarman

Yes, Justin is just a big baby. Atheist are one of the most misunderstood groups in America. This is a belief blog and articles like this belong here. Justin is so clueless he didn't notice the articles on Pope Francis and Pope John Paul.

July 15, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
  9. Open the pod bay door

I'm definitely a 1, but I'm seeking a 4 for excitement, adventure, and companionship. Female preferred, but not absolutely necessary. Must be willing to summer in Quebec.

July 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  10. Dana

Total faith in the lack of a god seems no different to me than total faith in God. Usually I would say that taking a firm side in something is always better, but I need proof. I have adequate evidence to say Christianity and any religion I have ever learned about is false, but some form of deity can't be proven false. I also think there is enough evidence to say that IF there is a god, he has stopped caring about earth a long time ago. However, if forced to choose a side, I would bet that there is no God.

July 15, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
    • WASP

@dana: easy way to explain everything.

"energy can not be created nor destroyed"
      thus universe is eternal;
      thus no need for a creator.

so i agree, no god required. 🙂

July 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
      • Richard

You say that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but you can only base that on your observations, which account for 0.00000000000001% of the universe.

July 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
        • Johnny Noir

You can base any religious claims on evidence from 0% of the universe. We are still way ahead.

July 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

That's basically the att.itude of most atheists.

July 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
    • MagicPanties

"total faith in the lack of a god" is one of the stoopidest comments in here.

Atheists do not have faith, they do not have belief, they have a lack of faith, a lack of belief.

July 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
      • MagicPanties

yes, I'm feeling my inner "4"

July 15, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
      • ram

That isn't true. Atheist can believe in many things. They just believe in gods. I don't understand why that is so complicated for people to understand.

I don't believe in any gods/Gods. I believe in many other things, though, and I don't think we just die and disappear forever. I won't go into all I believe, but none of it requires any gods' intervention or existence. I am a very spiritual person, but to me spiritual isn't anything to do with religion, gods, or churches. It's related to having a core of peace, treating others with respect, helping when possible, living a decent and compassionate life, and teaching my children to do the same. Being an atheist really has nothing to do with anything else but not believing in gods or goddesses. It really is too bad that some of all belief systems seem to feel that others should do as they do and believe as they do. We each have our own path to walk, and I have no desire to tell anyone else what his or hers should be like. I believe in many things, but none of them happen to be gods. I try to do what I believe is right, and I do it because I live with my choices and wish to live a life filled with joy and peace, which means that deliberately harming others isn't an option for me.

July 15, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
        • ram

I see no edit option. Of course I meant to say atheists believe in many things, but they just don't believe in gods.

July 15, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
      • bostontola

I'm an atheist that disagrees with your statement (must be a different type). Calling something stupid and spelling stupid wrong is ill advised.

July 15, 2013 at 9:26 pm |
  11. Don'tTryThisAtHomeI'mAProfessional

Hmmmm ... I seem to be part of all six categories. Guess that's the trouble with labeling.

July 15, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  12. sly

Thank God I live in a state of mind where it took me 25 years to notice that everyone else around me was religious, and it took a week for me to understand that real people not just a few believe in some figure written about in a book. It is very difficult for me to give any serious thought to this idea, frankly, it's incredible. It's like Santa and Ghosts and Linda Blair.

July 15, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  13. WASP

@smartguy: hmmm what if a person can know that there isn't a single "god" out there?
    then what?

i can very easily explain how to create a universe without a need for anything creating it.

July 15, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  14. William

This list is quite silly. I am all of the above to varying degrees, and so is every atheist I know.

The distinctions above hold as much water as a daily horoscope. Choose a random sign and apply the characteristics to yourself.

What a waste of time.

July 15, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

I assure you, I'm not Type 2 in any way imaginable.

July 15, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
  15. Privacy

Definitely #3 (Seeker-agnostic), but really striving for #5 (Non-theist), where I believe true enlightenment exists :-).

July 15, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
  16. GunnyGene

Ahh, yes. Yet another knucklehead who insists on labeling people.

July 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
  17. Jim

When you list "agnotic" under atheist, you have no idea of what words mean and cannot be trusted.

July 15, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • Jim

"agnostic"

July 15, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
      • smartguy999

Is it because they scare you a bit? Agnostics shine doubt onto your faith of no God. Fighting your whole life against the faithful it makes you seem stupid. I bet that feels terrible. But yes Agnostics are the grand puppet masters sitting above theists and atheists in the logical hierarchy of man. Confidant and capable of admitting they don't know for sure either way. Seems you are scared to admit this.

July 15, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Most atheists admit that they currently can't know either way, just like we can't know about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

July 15, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
        • hee hee

Are you also agnostic about past religions? How about trolls in your garden? Much of Europe believed in trolls at one time.

Do you have to be pretend to be unsure about every crazy idea? How far will you take "I don't know for sure"?

July 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Why? All agnostics are atheists and all atheists are agnostic.

July 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
      • bostontola

I'd say atheists are a proper subset of agnostics.

July 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
        • smartguy999

Exactly. So are the theists. Agnostics sit on top as the supreme puppet master.

July 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
        • smartguy999

And yes the spaghetti guy that does make you an agnostic. You improperly call yourself an Atheist as do many. I have never met an Atheist who I couldn't convince to more properly define themselves as an Agnostic. Atheism is the first step to Agnosticism and that first step is the hardest for most. I think just like you but I more accurately define myself. I am an Agnostic who bets Atheists are right but I lack the proof and would be happily told it is the Theists after all. I just refuse faith of any kind because I don't know.

July 15, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
        • bostontola

Smartguy,
          I am an atheist that was an agnostic. I realized that proof of no god wouldn't come in my lifetime. Just not knowing was limiting my thinking so I took the leap to believe there is no god. I believe it at a spiritual level. It lets my mind go places I wouldn't as an agnostic and I'm very happy about that. My belief in a natural universe is spiritual for me. I'm an atheist.

July 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
        • Stephen Jones

Smartguy,
          Seems to me the progression is: Skeptic-Agnostic-Atheist with skepticism pervading throughout.

July 16, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
      • rolly

Are you sure agnostics are not just wimpy atheists?

July 15, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

That statement isn't entirely without merit, although there are many agnostics who I wouldn't say that of.

July 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
        • smartguy999

to bostontola I respect you. I would bet you are right if a need to place a bet. I dig you admit you took a faith. I too spend my time contemplating the natural universe. it is an awesome thought. but being a scientist i have to admit i can't rule the possibility of a god out even the though the probability is extremely small. so why do it. its more of a technical thing for me. your honesty is inspiring.

July 15, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
      • smartguy999

to hee hee.
        poor examples using trolls. you have taken a faith for no reason. you are essentially a religious nut job! here is your life line to come back to the thinking world. simply bet there is no God and accept there may be one after all. Admit you don't know.

July 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
        • hee hee

Why is it a poor example? Lots of people used to believe it. Learn some history – much of Europe believed in Odin, Thor, trolls, etc. Here's what I admit: I am betting that there is no judeo-Christian god, in the same sense that I am betting that there are no trolls or valkyries. That is the degree of my uncertainty. Get it yet? If not, I'm sure you won't think about it.

You're putting quite a bit of consequence on that particular split hair.

July 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
        • hee hee

I also don't know that Kepler's second law holds, in the same sense.

In brief: (1) I admit I don't know in your very technical sense (2) big deal. How can you possibly put so much stock in this?

p.s. I'm a real scientist. I can tell by your writing style that you have never had a paper accepted in any journal. Unless you're drunk right now.

July 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
  18. Tutti

Can't stand atheists. While people of faith are out there helping those in need and trying to better the world little by little, atheists smugly sit on the computer spouting their arrogant convictions about the nature of existence, convinced that they know everything about everything. If they had any brains at all they would be agnostics.

July 15, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

All atheists are agnostics and all agnostics are atheists.

July 15, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
      • Jim

Try the dictionary kid.

Then try the Greek

a = no
        theos = god
        a-theist = no god

a = no
        gnosis = knowledge
        a-gnostic = no knowledge

They are not the same. you give atheists a bad reputation.

July 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

It's the same thing, practically. If I'm an atheist, I can't know for certain, therefore I'm agnostic. If I'm agnostic, I'm saying that there isn't enough knowledge to make the claim for there being a god or not, which is practically atheism. Otherwise, we're all agnostic about the FSM, the Invisible Pink Unicorn and every imaginary creature you can think of.

Not exactly the same, granted but almost identical.

July 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

No, the terms are completely different. Many, many Christians and believers are agnostic. They trust in the "gnosis" of others and believe with faith. Many agnostics do not feel comfortable saying that they do not believe in such a culturally secure concept as "god."

The terms are different for a reason. The terms "kill" and "murder" are very different terms and that's extremely important.

July 15, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
        • Illusive

Yeah sorry, but the two terms are separate but are not mutually exclusive. Technically most Buddhists are atheists.

Personally I am an agnostic atheist, AKA "I believe there is no god(s) but I don't know for sure"

July 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
      • Observer

smartguy999

"In fairness most Agnostics started out as Atheists but never matured past 6th grade"

Grow up. If intelligent design turned out to be true, there is no proof that God did it. There could have been an infinite number of explanations for how the world started. When you can prove that there is no intelligent design, then you will become a smart guy.

July 15, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
        • smartguy999

What are you talking about. Makes no sense. Just admit you don't know if there is a God or not. Admit you don't know if it is intelligent design or not. That's it. Admit it. Then you will be an Agnostic like the rest of us. We don't know. We can bet one way or the other but we don't know and that shows humility and confidence at the same time. No need to pretend.

July 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Atheism really isn't about what you know. It's about something you don't have: belief in a God or gods. There's not evidence of one that merits consideration.

July 15, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
      • Observer

smartguy999

I am an agnostic. So why are you trashing their maturity? Just poor choice of words?

July 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
        • smartguy999

I messed up a few of my words. Meant that most Agnostics were originally Atheists. Overtime they realized that they too were taking a faith and accepted that it was just as arrogant as being faithful in religion. So they went a bit further and admitted they didn't know either way. If you are Agnostic then you may have made this journey yourself. I did. But it did not take long. I have convinced countless Atheist friends to make this journey and most actually will . It is just too logical.

July 15, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • smartguy999

Thank You! In fairness most Agnostics started out as Atheists but never matured past 6th grade. So they might in time. Why fight faith with faith when its so much easier and accurate to say you just don't know.

July 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
    • Candiano

If you had any brains, you wouldn't make sweeping generalizations.

July 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
      • smartguy999

I did say most. I actually did a study about this in college and found that 82% of Agnostics started out as an Atheist. It is just a fact. Look it up.

July 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
    • Scott

Several studies have shown atheists more generously give to charities. All religious people are doing are handing you a book of fairy tales. They don't give you anything without trying to shove their view down your throat.

July 15, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • Don'tTryThisAtHomeI'mAProfessional

If you had any brains you wouldn't make such gross generalizations.

July 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
    • MagicPanties

People of science build airplanes, while "people of faith" fly them into buildings.

July 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Those two aren't mutually exclusive.

July 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
      • Cpt. Obvious

Snappy. Although technically not exactly correct, it's true enough that people get the idea.

July 15, 2013 at 10:03 pm |
    • Pz

LOL... Yea changing childrens lives by molestation little by little... Or the Westboro baptist church changing the lives of young women by harrassing them outside of a Dr. office. Picketting funerals of the Boston marathon victims... Tutti is right.. lol. Religion is so cool.

July 15, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
    • jazzguitarman

Christians and Muslims are the ones with "arrogant convictions about the nature of existence".

Someone that says 'I don't know' is less arrogant than someone that claims myths are truths.

July 15, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
    • ram

You are wrong. That just isn't true any more than saying no Christians or Buddhists or Muslims ever helped anyone. It just isn't true, and your assumptions show your own ignorance, actually. Being atheist doesn't mean you don't help people. It just means you don't do it out of fear of any gods' disapproval or to look good to your church.

July 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • jessbca

I consider myself a secular humanist. I don't believe in a god, and do not believe there is anything before or after me spiritually. But I believe that my actions in this world profoundly impact the world around me. Therefore I strive to live my life as the best person I can possibly be. I volunteer in my community, I try to treat everyone I meet with respect, I am honest, thoughtful, and as generous as I can be. None of those things, by the way, come from any sort of Judeo-Christian tradition. They existed long before it and will long out-live it, I suspect.

July 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
  19. I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

I despise Type 2.

July 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
    • MagicPanties

I'm sorry, Dave, I despise type-2-despisers

July 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

Different strokes for different folks.

July 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
      • Athy

I despise those that despise type-2 despisers.

July 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm |

Ad infinitum.

July 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

You despise type 2, yet have no comment on type 4?

July 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that

No, there's a little 4 in me.

July 15, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
  20. Faithless Forrest

As the situation warrants I am 1, 2 and 4. I am also polyatheist. I disbelieve in many gods!
    Here in East Tennessee we have a community access television show, Freethought Form TV which can be seen most Tuesdays on line at 5 to 6 PM Eastern time. Visit http://www.ctvknox.org and scroll down to the streaming window.

Give us a call!