home
RSS
July 15th, 2013

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

(Ahem.)

2) Activist

3) Seeker-agnostic

4) Anti-theist

5) Non-theist

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

6) Ritual atheist

Please try to keep your questions related to the study itself.

Thanks,
Daniel Burke

- CNN Belief Blog

soundoff (9,518 Responses)
  1. rick

Here is a question for any of you. Wouldn't it be better if you believe that you will live forever than to die and not know? I don't know of anyone personally who wants to die. If God does not exist, then I have lost nothing when I die, if He does exist then I have lost everything I could have had.

January 5, 2014 at 10:53 am |
    • nepawoods

"if He does exist then I have lost everything I could have had" this is an unfounded assumption. Your argument is essentially Pascal's Wager, and that unfounded assumption is why it fails.

January 5, 2014 at 11:06 am |
    • Graham

What you're articulating is a version of Pascal's Wager, but there are three problems. Even if I accept the premise that it would be "better" to believe, there's a difference between saying it's "better" to believe and actually believing. I just don't believe. I can't force myself to because it might be "better" for me. The second problem is: believe in what? In which God? (And how – different denominations worship in very different ways.) The third problem is your assumption that, if God exists, I'll be punished in the hereafter for not believing in him. Even with Christianity there is no longer any consensus on this point and, I'd add, I personally would want nothing to do with any God who punishes people for the harmless act of disbelief.

January 5, 2014 at 11:53 am |
  2. Captain Jack

I believe that religion leads us away from, or distracts us from, the Universal Truth: God is Everything, and Everything is God.

January 5, 2014 at 10:37 am |
    • Theodore Majewski

If god is everything and everything is god, this is totally useless from a worship standpoint.
      We attempt to explain the unexplainable from a spiritual perspective.
      I think we can achieve all that is through the power of focus, the ability to convert the energy and information that is our universe to the advancement of humanity and others.

January 6, 2014 at 7:40 am |
  3. Theodore Majewski

Why do you call an Atheist a non believer in god, id that an Adeist?

It ocurres to me that an Atheist is a non believer in Theism, a theory of God.

December 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  4. Uyi Iredia

Interesting ! Someone I know lifted this article; I can't recall if he acknowledged its source or not. In any case, I don't fit in the list save for the fact that I consider myself an intellectual deist.

December 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
  5. In home personal training long lsland

My husband is in Group 3 Seeker-agnostic. He is confused. He is the type that needs to see the answer and touch the idea. He finds things hard to believe when he doesn't see them. He refers to religion as the oldest running game of Telephone ever played. At the same time he is not, not a believer. He believes, but he is always looking for a different answer. "Free Thinker"

Sometimes it bothers me, But God made us all so different how can I get mad.

December 13, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
  6. アウトレット ニューバランス

サンローランパリ メンズ アウトレット ニューバランス http://xianjiangw.hermesjpdonindependent.org/

December 1, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  7. http://www.stylehairandbeauty.co.uk/staf1a.html

But one particular would not visualize all these theoretical developments in hearing the wonder of this choral music. This can be music with lush and abundant sonorities, closer to present day music compared to the hollowed seems of earlier Gregorian Chants with the Middle Ages.
    http://www.stylehairandbeauty.co.uk/staf1a.html http://www.stylehairandbeauty.co.uk/staf1a.html

November 27, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
  8. Oblimatiomiab

They may also develop on the sides due to poor ill fitting shoes. Christian Louboutin Boots Black Friday Avoid dimensions. Some elements may be popular in some period and they may disaapear several months later. These supplies have all been designed keeping in mind the needs of the client and are also Black Friday Christian Louboutin high in quality.uggbootclassictalloutlets.To serve, place burgers and pineapple slices on the toasted buns or rolls and include a lettuce leaf if wanted. But most other tests are not so simple in that the meaning of the result Christian Louboutin Black Friday will depend on the context. For any business, reliability is an important factor.all inclusive destination weddingsall inclusive destination weddingsall inclusive weddingsThat special day is quickly approaching, but you still havent bought the ideal gown for your ceremony.Following are the the largest part unexceptional and fashionable varieties designed for which we are specialized supplier and well proven wearing the online marketplace. Designer wedding shoes can be made exclusively or bought at a store.Such conditions can be experienced by anybody and therefore one has to be careful with any kind of pain that is experienced in the foot.When I studied in university several years back I really had my daily life in higher education.

November 25, 2013 at 5:02 am |
  9. fhdfgjngfff

bdfbfdbdfbfdbfd

November 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  10. elise

wow elise, let me apologize for that jerk. he was a big atheist at one time and its roots r not all gone!

btw, have u rebuked the asp yet? no? shucks. point being, so, u seriously might agreed to it!
    ?
    Elise
    Please stop it. We know you are a Christian, and trying to use reverse psychology is unlikely to suddenly make atheists have an epiphany. Many atheists were believers at one point in their lives.

Lying to make your point makes one look foolish. Is that the impression you were trying to make?

November 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
  11. jeff

dear bro Burke at CNN

timmy

what are the names, addresses and phone numbers of the medical professionals who informed you that you were otherwise normal?

"Once or twice I've gone for medical attention and was informed that this experience is similar to what some others experience with their religions. I was informed by medical professionals that as I was otherwise normal there was nothing to be done. As this person in my mind's eye is not Allah, YHVH, Jesus, Krishna, Zeus or any sort of deity I've read up on before I never thought of him as my religion. Apparently he is. I turned to atheism for help. What I've learned is that no one is in control of my thoughts, but me so turning to anything or anyone for help is mostly pointless."

u turned to atheism for help. to whom did u speak? they taught u not to let ur brain be controlled. and, "I've also learned that just because my friend doesn't exist doesn't mean I'm not able to enjoy his company." how do u no he doesn't exist?

November 10, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
  12. Ted

"I was informed by medical professionals that as I was otherwise normal there was nothing to be done" as your doctor i never said that.

November 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
  13. Ed Kidwell

I consider myself a cross between a ritual theist and an anti-theist. I think churches should pay taxes the same as any business(churches being professional beggers) They have been conning people for much too long. I don't think you have to join a club to be an atheist. You have the right to be an atheist as much as you have a right to be a believer in America.You either believe or you don.t. I choose the latter and expect to NOT believe freely as much as others want to believe freely.

October 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
  14. Bill Shakespeare

I can't help but think this is nothing more than assimilation of the original researcher's shema on how people of any 'faith' might operate from a levantian understanding of people. Basically, pattern recognition where there may be no pattern. It's putting rather hard definitions on something that isn't a dogma – it's trying to fit the approach the religious take to the approach the non-religious take when really it's comparing apples and oranges.

I think an entirely new schema is needed to describe the non-religious, and while this is a noble attempt at that, I feel it's ultimately superficial and doesn't reflect the reality of atheism.

October 19, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
  15. clay

I am an Anti-theists in the scene that I see belief without evidence harmful. However, I do NOT view religion as ignorance. Many religious people are clearly very intelligent. I, and most of the anti-theist I know view it as people holding on to ideas that contradict reality out of a deep need for things like purpose, and certainty. They can not accept that bad things have no purpose. We can have purpose, but we must create it for ourselves by choosing to make a difference in the world. We can choose to turn bad things into motivation to do good.

October 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
    • Edward

clay...intelligence and the acceptance of delusional dogma are mutually inclusive and the backbone of the cults you belong to. What a coup it is for them to say, "Behold, blah blah balh," and have men and women of talent and distinction agree. Until mankind reasons through the insanity of the statements and thoughts expressed as fact, we may be doomed to destroy ourselves from secular reasoning for no other purpose than to say my side was right and your side was wrong.

As an atheist, I do not have to participate in this type of mind game and therefore live my life in relative peace and harmony.

I strongly hope you see reason and experience the world as it was meant to be, not under the rules of some ancient prophet.

October 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm |