home
RSS
July 15th, 2013

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

(Ahem.)

2) Activist

3) Seeker-agnostic

4) Anti-theist

5) Non-theist

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

6) Ritual atheist

Please try to keep your questions related to the study itself.

Thanks,
Daniel Burke

- CNN Belief Blog

soundoff (9,518 Responses)
  1. Dodger

Also, the atheists on CNN forums (ahem) aren't the intellectual kind. They very much fit the proselytizing activist and anti-theist definitions, though.

July 16, 2013 at 7:29 am |
    • William Demuth

It depends on formal definitions, but any disinterested third party would surely recognize that the Theists are mentally disorganized at best, and in many cases are clearly ill.

Religious folks would be well served in policing their own, because each and every crazy Fundie does your group a great disservice.

Without naming specific posters, you have within your midst's several individuals who are poster children for the cause of lamenting the collapse of our mental health system in this country.

July 16, 2013 at 7:34 am |
  2. William Demuth

Top five categories of religious people

1. Those who don’t actually believe, but pretend to because it’s expected of them
    2. Those who recognize belief as a means to an end in the pursuit of power, and use it as such
    3. Those who fear death so much that suspending reality is easier than confronting their own mortality
    4. Those whose belief is skin deep who publicly maintain the rituals and organizations yet still do as they please.
    5. Those who’s mental illness manifests itself as religious fervor

July 16, 2013 at 7:27 am |
    • lol??

You're one category short of a full creature. Six days of creation, remember?? And Satan is always bragging about his power, and signs his pride with a six.

July 16, 2013 at 7:33 am |
  3. Dodger

Type number 1 may be interested in atheism and read about it. They are merely looking for scientific information to bolster their atheism. But they rarely or never look at challenges to atheism; they simply ignore the challenges.

July 16, 2013 at 7:27 am |
    • William Demuth

Primarily because challenges to Atheism are like challenges to Gravity

They tend to fall on their faces

July 16, 2013 at 7:29 am |
      • Moonraker

"Primarily because challenges to Atheism are like challenges to Gravity"

Word.

July 16, 2013 at 7:34 am |
    • Dodger

I have yet to hear a coherent explanation of morality from an atheist. Good luck with your research.

July 16, 2013 at 7:30 am |
      • Poppa

? Explanation for morality? Why is an explanation needed? Doesn't it just make sense that you'd want to treat others the way you'd like to be treated?

I think much of religion has it's roots in common sense. It's not that religion creates a belief system, it simply reinforces what we SHOULD know but often let greed or other selfish acts overrule.

July 16, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • William Demuth

Dodger

Morality is a human construct.

In other words, it exists only in your head.

July 16, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • Poppa

Dodger... The "challenges" of atheism have always come down to the inability to defy "faith". All the "facts" of religion boil down to faith, and faith is not contradictable (else there is no faith).

I'd interested in reviewing your list of the Challenges of atheism though.

July 16, 2013 at 7:49 am |
  4. CelticEejit

I like how you front load the list with actors and singers – we're 20 in before meeting anyone with substance.

July 16, 2013 at 7:23 am |
  5. trollol

If you managed to divide atheism into 6 types, I wonder how many types you would get if you tried to divide a religion. I dare you to try.

July 16, 2013 at 7:21 am |
    • Saraswati

Here's a breakdown for Catholicism. People do this stuff all the time:

July 16, 2013 at 7:29 am |
  6. Rath R. Weird

Since I spent a great deal of time on talk.origins, and pipet and pymol for living I could lay a claim to the first category. But then debating half-wits and imbeciles got rather tedious – so many of them, so one of me. So I guess I got myself into Non-theist group (Apa-theist according to Bill Maher). I leave my in-laws be when they go to Mass, and just do dishes. Then again somebody like those Westboro cretins gets on my nerves and I go full anti-theist. I guess they should put in an Irritable Intellectual Non-theist category just for me...

July 16, 2013 at 7:21 am |
  7. Saraswati

In addition to the selection bias from the online survey that will favor activists over laissez-faire types, there's also a huge bias towards the southern states:

Which goes as much to show how much more the smaller atheist group that feels oppressed in the south cares about these things than to atheists in the northeast and west where it is largely a non-issue.

Another big problem is the use of self-identification. Few anti-theists really recognize themselves as such, and a much larger group of people will always consider themselves 'open' than really are. I'd love to see this done a little more professionally – not to knock what was done which is an interesting start.

July 16, 2013 at 7:16 am |
  8. faith

a spiritual person may not be afflicted with mental or personality disorders. true or false?

a spiritual person may be skilled at differentiating between her subjective experiences and her cognitive processing. y or n?

July 16, 2013 at 7:10 am |
    • G to the T

What do you mean by a "spiritual person"?

July 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  9. Patrick

I don't like the idea of categorizing people like this. Beliefs are too diverse and I doubt you will find anyone who fits perfectly into any of them. Me for example, I'm part 'seeker-agnostic' with some 'activist', a touch of 'intellectual atheist' and a hint of 'anti-theist'. What does this really mean? Nothing. It would be far simpler and frankly less insulting to just ask what my beliefs are.

July 16, 2013 at 6:59 am |
    • Saraswati

The thing is, though, that we all do it instinctually, because humans are too complex and diverse to interact without classifications. We check gender, age, ethnicity before interacting and adapt our behavior accordingly. No one is going to talk to everyone or read books by everyone or listen to everyone. We simply don't have the time to do that and feed ourselves and hold jobs. These are just shortcuts to understanding one another that I think should be viewed as a launchpad rather than a terminal understanding of who anyone is.

July 16, 2013 at 7:19 am |
      • Patrick

I agree that it is our nature, and I understand why it happens. It still doesn't mean its an accurate portrayal of peoples' views. The problem I, personally, face time and again is people here that I'm "atheist" and then lump me into one of their preconceived categories and start making assumptions about what I believe without even asking me anything.

July 16, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  10. steven

it bothers me that others associate me with agnostics – those that can't or won't make up their mind – and "non-believers." I absolutely believe that the existence of god or other higher power is a lie. my belief is just as strong and legitimate as any other. the difference is that my belief doesn't hurt anyone else.

July 16, 2013 at 6:58 am |
    • Saraswati

And it bothers me that I am associated with fundamentalist atheists and naive materialists. I think that categories are a good starting point for understanding the diversity. I also blame the atheist activist movement for trying to whitewash the differences to create a false 'big tent' lobbying and fundraising effort.

July 16, 2013 at 7:21 am |
  11. Jake

Where do those who believe in god but think organized religion has been the downfall of western civilization fit in?

July 16, 2013 at 6:55 am |
    • Saraswati

Not in an atheist categorization. They would be a type of unaffiliated theist or deist.

July 16, 2013 at 7:22 am |
  12. lol??

Six more Affirmative Action slots coming right up.

July 16, 2013 at 6:54 am |
  13. faith

"(){linktracker_init"

July 16, 2013 at 6:47 am |
  14. jungleboo

Not interested in categorizing people according to their beliefs or non-beliefs. That's an old routine evidenced by the primitive people who feel compelled to wear symbols like yarmulkes, or crucifixes, or burkas, or dots on their foreheads etc.

It stems from the crude impulse to say to some of your neighbors, "I am not you. We are different from each other. I have an inside track on things you aren't a part of. I am a member of a secret society that stretches back (insert number of centuries here)".

Then you fight with someone not wearing the same symbol to prove you are right. This article is a base swipe at freedom from categorization.

July 16, 2013 at 6:40 am |
    • faith

addLoadEvent(function

July 16, 2013 at 6:53 am |
    • Realist

I think you are finding malice where only silliness is present. I don't disagree with you, but the study of humanity, society, and psychology sometimes requires ontological division. The silliness comes from the fact that religious beliefs are very complicated, and the expression of those beliefs is situationally dependent, not something that people can accurately self report.

July 16, 2013 at 6:57 am |
      • faith

complexity eliminates accuracy?

July 16, 2013 at 7:03 am |
    • Saraswati

It comes from the fields of anthropology and sociology (and marketing) which seek to understand our fellow human beings. Unless you plan to have over 7 billion different understandings, you'll be grouping and classifying.

July 16, 2013 at 7:24 am |
      • lol??

I could tell a funny story about Tiparillo smokin' liberated groupies, but I won't.

July 16, 2013 at 7:47 am |
    • moh

I know what we really should be dividing ourselves into are Phjillies, Yankess and Red Sox with the appropriately colored pinstripes. The human urge toward tribalism is still pretty strong.

July 16, 2013 at 7:54 am |
  15. faith

personal experience is a valid factor to determine what happened?

July 16, 2013 at 6:39 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

The term "personal" is entirely qualitative and subjective. A person suffering from Affective Schizoid Disorder may have personal experiences of voices and visions. It doesn't make those voice or visions any more real.

July 16, 2013 at 6:50 am |
      • faith

we should throw out cross examination in court proceedings?

July 16, 2013 at 6:56 am |
        • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

What are you babbling about?

July 16, 2013 at 7:03 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

The term "personal" is entirely qualitative and subjective. A person suffering from schizophrenia may have personal experiences of voices and visions. It doesn't make those voice or visions any more real.

July 16, 2013 at 6:51 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

A mentally ill person having delusions is having "personal experiences". That doesn't make their delusions real.

July 16, 2013 at 6:52 am |
      • faith

s deluded, mentally ill patient may testify to things which are a function of her disturbed thinking?

July 16, 2013 at 7:01 am |
  16. faith

did you get the letter?

July 16, 2013 at 6:37 am |
  17. Unitarian

It seems to me like these comments themselves say quite a bit about what kind of atheist their writers are. For example, the anti-theists think the list is ridiculous. That should actually be listed as a characteristic of anti-theists - "will think this list is absurd."

July 16, 2013 at 6:29 am |
    • Saraswati

I don't imagine there's an inherent reason for anti-theists to dislike categorization so much as that most don't want to accept the label of "anti-theist". A category system isn't so pleasant when you come off with a new lesser self-image. Then again, several of these folks revel in that identi ty...but I bet they aren't the same one's criticizing the list.

July 16, 2013 at 7:35 am |
    • Saraswati

I don't imagine there's an inherent reason for anti-theists to dislike categorization so much as that most don't want to accept the label of "anti-theist". A category system isn't so pleasant when you come off with a new lesser self-image. Then again, several of these folks revel in that identi.ty...but I bet they aren't the same one's bothered by the list.

July 16, 2013 at 7:36 am |
    • Saraswati

July 16, 2013 at 7:37 am |
    • Saraswati

I don't imagine there's an inherent reason for anti-theists to dislike categories so much as that most don't want to accept the label of "anti-theist". A category system isn't so pleasant when you come off with a new lesser self-image. Then again, several of these folks revel in that identi.ty...but I bet they aren't the same one's bothered by the list.

July 16, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • Saraswati

I suspect the issue is more that the anti-theists don't like where the list places them than that they oppose the idea of a list.

July 16, 2013 at 7:39 am |
    • Saraswati

Sorry, the page isn't working correctly for me when I submit.

July 16, 2013 at 7:41 am |
  18. LakeRat1

3 with some 1, and perhaps some others thrown in.
    Kind of a "Why do adults believe in fairy tales?" with "I feel like there's something out there that helps or guides me sometimes". But then I can't leave out: "I absolutley despise the way some people use religion to judge and control the behavior of others".

July 16, 2013 at 6:24 am |
    • LakeRat1

OOPS! Left out one: "The more certain people are about their religious beliefs, the less they realy know (or care)."

July 16, 2013 at 6:28 am |