home
RSS
July 15th, 2013

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

(Ahem.)

2) Activist

3) Seeker-agnostic

4) Anti-theist

5) Non-theist

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

6) Ritual atheist

Please try to keep your questions related to the study itself.

Thanks,
Daniel Burke

- CNN Belief Blog

soundoff (9,518 Responses)
  1. Jonathan

This study was a waste of time and money. How many ways can you not be something? Infinite I imagine.

July 16, 2013 at 9:32 am |
  2. Sarah

I think this is an interesting "first stab" as the author says. I would classify myself as a seeker-agnostic according to this typology. I do think there is a lot of variation in the agnostic and atheistic spectrum, just as there is in the religious spectrum in terms of how fundamental or orthodox a person is.

July 16, 2013 at 9:31 am |
    • Saraswati

I agree, an interesting first stab, albeit with flaws. I'll be interested to see future work.

July 16, 2013 at 9:34 am |
  3. mentalsandbox

Depending on the day I could hit all six but I'm usually a one or a three. I think Intellectual atheist/agnostic seeker is a good compromise for me. Because while I don't believe in anything supernatural I do embrace uncertainty.

July 16, 2013 at 9:30 am |
  4. Michael

I suspect the reason the author thinks that Non-theists are the smallest group is because they are the quietest group. I find it hard to believe they are not the largest group amongst the atheists, and should include those who are culturally relgious but not spiritually religious.

July 16, 2013 at 9:30 am |
    • Saraswati

They really only surveyed people in the "atheist community" (their words) using a survey advertised in atheist forums. They got back what appear to have been the young southern activists who were recovering from oppressive fundamentalism.

July 16, 2013 at 9:32 am |
  5. Mike Church

I'm a combination of Intellectual and Ritual agnostic. Philosophically, one can't prove or disprove God's existence, and I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus. But I consider myself a "follower" of Jesus in that I always ask myself "What would Jesus do?" for guidance in what to think, say, and do. You'll find that the answer to that question is usually immediately obvious, righteous and defensible. For example, what Jesus do about abortion with no threat to the mother's well-being, war, capital punishment, students and teachers carrying guns to schools, and any other hot topic of the day?

July 16, 2013 at 9:29 am |
    • Saraswati

I knew a guy who based his life on The Tao of Pooh. There are a lot of models that work for different people.

July 16, 2013 at 9:33 am |
    • Jefe El Guapo

It is a known fact that jesus was a liar. I wouldn't model my life after it.

July 16, 2013 at 9:36 am |
      • lionlylamb2013

Oh the lies we weave when one practices to willingly deceive.

July 16, 2013 at 9:43 am |
        • The Reverend

The lies in your cosmic comic book are ones that truly stretch into the unbelievable.

What does that make you? Chump or imbecile?

July 16, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • JimK57

I think jesus even believed one can't prove or disprove God's existence. To me this was confirmed when pilate asked him "what is truth" and jesus was silent.

July 16, 2013 at 9:42 am |
      • lionlylamb2013

Hello there Jim...

What truths made can ever outlast one's conditional trade? If "I am" and "you are" then "who is" and for what?

July 16, 2013 at 9:48 am |
        • JimK57

Hi lamb,
          I am sorry but I do not understand the question.

July 16, 2013 at 10:05 am |
      • The Reverend

First off, your mythical comic book is not real, so stating things that were said from it provide nothing more than anecdotal evidence. If you were sentient, you would understand that.

July 16, 2013 at 10:23 am |
  6. AGeek

Your religion is irrelevant to me. How you treat your fellow humans tells me the kind of person you are.

July 16, 2013 at 9:28 am |
  7. faith

no one is fooled about who deletes posts and who controls what is permitted and encouraged at this cesspool. not for a second. they are responsible for crimes and torts. they are the focus of the largest lawsuit in history

July 16, 2013 at 9:25 am |
    • Jefe El Guapo

In order to prevent your posts from being reported and deleted, please refrain from posting offensive commentary. If your posts are pro-religion, they are offensive. Thank you, and have a wonderful Tuesday!

July 16, 2013 at 9:28 am |
    • kate

I've been around for 50-something years, have never believed and was raised in an atheistic family. We went to churches or synagogues for celebrations when invited, had a christmas tree and easter baskets, but this was done for fun, not some kind of search for the ultimate answers to the universe.

If we had any religion it was that the ways of the universe are far beyond human comprehension and that the best we can do was make wise choices that helped more than ourselves. I hope I've passed that on to my own kids.

I get the impression there were and are a lot of families like mine. Yet this this the first time I remember seeing this much cache and woopdedoo in the media about atheism. I guess it's a good thing because all those pretty and famous people not believing makes it safer for the rest of us slobs who don't bother mentioning our lack of faith to the rest of the world. But still, the idea of talking on and on about something that doesn't exist in our brains is like talking about all the cars we'll never own, jobs we have no interest in, all the places we have no interest in visiting.

A lack of something you never knew and so don't miss isn't a big topic of conversation.

July 16, 2013 at 9:52 am |
      • Saraswati

It's a much bigger deal for those raised in oppressively Christian areas. If you look at who responded to the survey, they are disproportionately from the south.

July 16, 2013 at 9:55 am |
  8. Eric

None of these categories accurately reflect my belief system. If anything, my belief system is a little bit of each one. It's like saying there are "x" types of Christians, I think there are too many to name really.

July 16, 2013 at 9:23 am |
    • JimK57

I agree. I believe in a creator and that jesus was an enlightened man, but am I a christan? Maybe someone will post the true definition. Please only serious replies.

July 16, 2013 at 9:28 am |
      • Jefe El Guapo

No. That is not a christian belief. Anything the bible states is to be taken as fiction, however. The character of jesus was a fraud if you pay close attention to his statements. If you don't believe in any specific creator, you are more along the lines of a deist. But, please keep in mind that unless there is evidence of such a being there is no point in believing in one to begin with.

July 16, 2013 at 9:34 am |
      • ed dugan

I feel the same way as you. The universe didn't happen by accident when you consider the human brain. Evolution? Doesn't matter how we got here, we got here! Discounting the wisdom of Jesus is just plain stupid. Discounting his divinity makes sense. The bible, written by men with a whole lot of personal agendas is simply a little history enveloped by a lot of myths and fables. Take the wisom from it and discard the BS. However, having been raised in a strict "christian" enviroment, I would not like that tag on my dog, let alone myself.

July 16, 2013 at 9:38 am |
        • Jefe El Guapo

Wisdom? No. He was a liar. Please don't put the fraud on a pedestal. It's offensive.

July 16, 2013 at 9:42 am |
        • JimK57

I prefer the gospel of thomas since most historians date it from 20 AD – 100 AD.

July 16, 2013 at 10:03 am |
      • L

Honestly you sound Jewish. Not believing in the divinity of Christ pretty much disqualifies you from being Christian.

July 16, 2013 at 9:50 am |
    • Jefe El Guapo

You're saying you're an activist and pacifist at the same time?

July 16, 2013 at 9:29 am |
  9. Julia Dunphy

These categories are just plain stupid. If you don't believe in something there is nothing more to say. If I asked you if you believe in unicorns would you say "I am a ritual anti-unicornist"? In order to have different types of atheists a person has to be unsure. All my friends and most of my family were never indoctrinated as children to believe in this insanity. So stop trying to understand atheists and ask me why I am afraid of tightrope walking the Niagara Falls – religion is just silly childish nonsense forced into the brain of a child before they are old enough to develop critical reasoning. I believe that teaching such idiocy to young children is a kind of child abuse.

July 16, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • Saraswati

This isn't a aet of philosophical categories, but a sociological description of people in the "atheist community" (yes, they used that term here: http://www.atheismresearch.com/). They advertised the survey to the "dedicated atheist media community". It's simple a sociological description of people inthat online community, not any description of atheists in general nor a categorization of beliefs.

July 16, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  10. RadarTheKat

Put another checkmark next to type 5 to represent me. However, I think there should be a type called Scientific-minded Atheist. When you create that category, please move my checkmark to it.

July 16, 2013 at 9:20 am |
  11. Mick

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic.
    Religion is a big business con. It is used to oppress people. However I do believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Clause because as far as I know they have never caused a war or extorted money people.

July 16, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • Tom M

Hmmmmm. I have now decided to believe in the Tooth Fairy & Santa Claus. Not only have they never started a way, they brought me cool stuff.

July 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
  12. NkNorka

Anyone who claims they 'Know' whether they be Christian, Hindi, Atheist, etc are only stating their belief. No one 'Knows'. Come back after you die and tell us what you learned. The only true knowledge is what you have personally experienced, all else is opinion.

July 16, 2013 at 9:13 am |
    • William Demuth

Nonsense.

One creates a standard. Preponderance, reasonable doubt, any standard at all, and then measures the available evidence.

If we used your approach we would still be squatting in caves.

July 16, 2013 at 9:15 am |
    • Edd0

I KNOW that I'm agnostic.

July 16, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • Saraswati

It depends on how you are using the word knowledge. Most people like to claimthey mean something like "true tracked belief" but that would make the term fairly useless in practice. It is really just an expression of strong belief, and that is, inmost cases, how the term is used.

July 16, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • Edward

I will tell you what I have learned after dying twice, and fortunately, coming back twice. There is truly nothing after death.

September 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
  13. Lord Brahma

You forgot Gays and Lesbians Atheist.

July 16, 2013 at 9:08 am |
  14. maximusvad

Agnostic is NOT atheist.

July 16, 2013 at 9:02 am |
  15. Roy

Psalm 14:1 – Only fools say in their hearts, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and their actions are evil; not one of them does good!

July 16, 2013 at 9:00 am |
    • William Demuth

Avengers 6, page two, bubble three

"Hulk Will SMASH!"

Now do you see how foolish it is to base your life on a comic book?

July 16, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

Oh Roy you boytoy,

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also [is] flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

The Lord God, the originator is long dead and died leaving all of humanisms up to their own vices and aspirations...

July 16, 2013 at 9:09 am |
      • Puh-lease

You don't seem to understand that passage at all. It doesn't mean God "died". It means the spirit which God imparted in us (or our mortal life) will not last forever. So it's saying that WE will die, not Him.

Seriously, if you guys want to try and mock people's faith and the Bible, at least learn reading comprehension first. Sheesh.

July 16, 2013 at 9:42 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

Oh Roy you boytoy,

The Lord God, the originator long ago died leaving all of humanisms up to their own vices and aspirations...

July 16, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

Oh Roy you boy toy,

July 16, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • lionlylamb2013

Sorry folks for a triple redundancy post,,, I thought CNN was flagging me with wrong word usage,, My bad!

July 16, 2013 at 9:16 am |
    • cedar rapids

'They are corrupt, and their actions are evil; not one of them does good!'

Oh dear Roy. That equals hate and bearing false witness in one post. That makes you a false christian who is damned to hell.
      Ah well. Dont blame me, i didnt make the rules.

July 16, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • tallulah13

So basically, the bible says that anyone who doesn't believe what the says bible is a fool. Of course the bible would say that. My question is, why would anyone fall for such obvious circular logic?

July 16, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  16. Logic

In order to have civil discourse about this topic, you need to tuck away emotions and preconceptions.

The above sentence is the #1 reason why talking about this intelligently is so difficult to achieve. When one side attempts to make a point, the other takes it either personally or as an attack against their belief system.

When you look at this argument logically, you arrive at a few conclusions:

A.) People who are religious rely on FAITH, not fact. Many regard their deep faith as fact, or the scriptures as fact and this is where things go awry.

B.) Atheists, men and women of science, people who require proof to substantiate belief see this adherence to faith as a crutch and therefore invalidate anything they cannot prove.

See the issue? One side relies of proof, the other on faith. Neither side seems to understand that there is a large rift between those two.

I've struggled with this issue myself. The result has been an adoption of the "live and let live" mentality. You don't force your beliefs unto me and I will be sure to return the favor.

July 16, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • JimK57

We must also remember science cannot prove everything. Somethings are just opinions. Even athiests agree with this.

July 16, 2013 at 9:05 am |
      • William Demuth

Jim

You don't understand science at all do you?

Any science that holds a belief despite evidence to the contrary is not science, it is religion.

July 16, 2013 at 9:07 am |
        • JimK57

Let me give you an example of what I mean.

Nazis are evil.

You cannot use science to prove that this statement is true.

July 16, 2013 at 9:09 am |
        • Edward

I could use statistical regression algorithms to classify which Nazi acts were considered evil and which were not, thereby using science to determine if Nazis were evil. This is a moot point.

September 2, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
      • Logic

Science cannot prove morality. That is something that we as a society agree on. It isn't something you can "test" in a lab per se.

July 16, 2013 at 9:27 am |
      • William Demuth

Evil is relataive.

Science can prove they existed

July 16, 2013 at 9:42 am |
        • Logic

Exactly right.

July 16, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • G

If you attempt to take away feelings and emotions from this discussion, you have lost all essence of God. The Lords greatest commandment is to Love, a feeling/emotion. Thus to use your 'logic' to PROOVE God is a futile effort. Try to prove or disprove faith itself is quite foolish. Logically faith is unfathomable. Logically, taking emotions out of a human argument appears quite foolish to me. In the real world there is no rational man, no matter how hard anyone may try.

July 16, 2013 at 9:11 am |
      • Cory

This kind of idea is socially destructive.

July 16, 2013 at 9:19 am |
    • William Demuth

Because evil is a social construct.

I can use science to prove they exist.

Science does not make relativistic arguments about perceived cultural norms.

July 16, 2013 at 9:13 am |
      • JimK57

Exactly. Sometimes athiest try to make people believe they run their lives by cold hard logic, which is not true.

July 16, 2013 at 9:18 am |
      • William Demuth

None that I am aware of.

We TRY to but we are human.

We know we shouldn't laugh at believers when we expose their foolishness, but it REALLY hard.

Virgin Births Zombies, some of Christianity is inherently laughable.

July 16, 2013 at 9:23 am |
    • Sylvain Zambito

I agree with you that wether you believe in god or not there must be a rational, intelligent reasoning that supports it. And I think that religion and God should not be confused and mistaken as the same. With that said I have read many books and articles about evolution and I also have studied carefully the Bible and everything that surrounds me from the macro to the microscopic. And my conclusion is that you need a lot more faith to believe that such a complex universe came from scratch with no intelligent guidance. Evolution is still just a theory and Religion has made god look bad.

July 16, 2013 at 9:15 am |
  17. ko

you forgot the angry atheist...those are the ones I run into most often

July 16, 2013 at 8:53 am |
    • tallulah13

You probably have friends and acquaintances, people you like very much, who are atheists. They probably just haven't told you, because they just don't want to deal with your preconceived notions about them.

July 16, 2013 at 9:30 am |
    • Guy

You'd be angry too if you were the most distrusted minority in the country, and told by others that you deserve to suffer for an eternity because you don't accept things without evidence.

July 16, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  18. FRANK

I don't think believing in God and believing in religion are the same thing. Religion is the business of spirituality. It is founded on money. Religion could not exist without money. I believe in all Gods – past – present – and future but this has nothing to do with belief in religion. Believing in God makes us spiritual. Believing in religion makes us fight.

July 16, 2013 at 8:52 am |
  19. Saraswati

Belief Blog Editors:

Once again, posts are disappearing so quickly that when you click submit the post has moved to another page. This wouldn't be a huge problem is there were some way of knowing whether or not a post had "made it" in these cases. However, unless you are onthe same page, the result is identical to what happens with a failed comment.

Please either modify the code so that either 1) even if the page changes, you are redirected to the correct page after a submit or 2) when a post fails (due to filter), you get a message. A combination of both would be ideal.

Also, consider creating a lookup of acceptable words which are not subject to the banned word filter.

July 16, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • Saraswati

Btw, this occurred with this very post. It makes using this site quite difficult.

July 16, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • William Demuth

The PC Police can't keep their dogma straight

July 16, 2013 at 9:01 am |
  20. el flaco

Many of us became atheists after having had horrible experiences with religion. In my case, raised in the Southern Baptist Church, Jesus was the monster who haunted my childhood nightmares. I ran and hid from Jesus night after night, but he always caught me and then threw me down into hell. I would wake up crying, terrified because Jesus had caught me.

July 16, 2013 at 8:48 am |
    • Saraswati

If you look at the study data, southern atheists are very over-represented, almost certainly for this reason. In other parts of the country your god-belief status isn't really an issue that comes up so much or a core part of one's identi ty.

July 16, 2013 at 8:54 am |