home
RSS
July 15th, 2013

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

(Ahem.)

2) Activist

3) Seeker-agnostic

4) Anti-theist

5) Non-theist

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

6) Ritual atheist

Please try to keep your questions related to the study itself.

Thanks,
Daniel Burke

- CNN Belief Blog

soundoff (9,518 Responses)
  1. Paul

It seems to me the definition of "activist" and "anti-theist" seem to be pretty much the same, just that anti-theist is a more aggressive assertion of views and opinions. I mean by this definition an activist asserts why they disagree with religion and why the world would be a better place without it, whereas anti-theist is just being outspoken and devoted to your opinions? Don't anti-theists, such as Hitchens and Dawkins, explain why the world would be better off without religion, but also aggressively assert their views on fallacies within religion? Just a thing I noticed, not really a critique, though I don't really see the deal of declaring myself as either one on the list.

July 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
  2. Nik B

Anti-theist and Activist sometimes. Intellectual Atheist at all times. When I get disgruntled about something that a religious representative has said or done, I become an anti-theist activist.

July 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
  3. Reality

Summarizing once again for the six-classes of intelligentsia mentioned in the topic:

The Apostles' / Agnostics’/Atheists' Creed 2013 (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)

July 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • kerfluffle

change your uname to 'surreality'..

July 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
  4. Army MEDEVAC Veteran

I am none of these. I am atheist, but I don't push my beliefs on others, nor do I tell others why they're wrong. I DO speak out about equality and why religion and legislation should never be mixed; for one reason: bias. But I'm dating a Christian. lol We respect each others view on it and go about our day. I don't bash or debate about it, unless I am attacked for my non-belief. It's pretty simple. You don't have to argue all day about what you believe, you just have to have mutual respect for the views of others. And that, I think, is part of the problem. Someone just has to be right.

July 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
    • lol??

Don't be unequally yoked.

July 16, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
  5. jew Zeus

Jake Sully is Jesus

XD

July 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
  6. Roger

Anyone who believes in an all powerful and all loving god needs to spend 20 minutes in the waiting room of a pediatric neurologist.

July 16, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • Phillip

This is the most thoughtful response I have ever seen by an atheist. I would concur, there is very little about suffering that points toward a god of any sort. Yet, I still believe. Call me a fool, but I do.

July 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
      • Roger

You believe because you've never sat in that waiting room for your child's turn to see the neurologist.

July 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
  7. jew Zeus

God is the biggest Atheist of them all,

or does he have a god too
    (now that that argument once again is proven to have some weee little holes in it, like a lot of them)?

July 16, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

Well when you think about how complex God must be to exist then logic would dictate that something more complex created him...

July 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
  8. Dyslexic doG

Which first–beasts or man?

GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
    GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

July 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm |
    • Jasmine

I think it is a pretty sad state if a person does not believe in God. All you have to do is look around and see all of God's handiwork. I feel sorry for those individuals, as they must have no hope and not assured of where they will go when they die.

July 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
      • kerfluffle

my dreams and visions are unfettered by the constraints of a 'god'.

i love life

July 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
      • Alias

I think it is a prety sad state when someone is willfully ignorant and bases their life on a happy piece of fiction.

July 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
      • Answer

Oh ya.. the thunderstorms, those floods, the earthquake... the stuff that kills. But you don't see those.. those nasty things aren't god. You want to see the "beautiful" stuff.. the rainbows; those cute kittens.. etc.

So nice to just see things through those lovely color glasses.

"As long as I can just see beauty then I will think it was from my god. But the terrible diseases, those aren't." << - Poor sweet things. Ignorant and stupid.

July 16, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
      • pipes_46

Thanks.

July 16, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
      • hugyourchances

You can think about where you're going once you die, yes. But once you are in that place, will you continue thinking about the future, or that time's present? You have to settle somewhere. Atheists embrace this present time. The future matters but the fact that it is limited to each consciousness doesn't diminish the present.

July 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
      • ShottyMolden

Why do we need to go somewhere when we die? Why can't we just focus on the one (actual) life we have, and attempt to live it as good people?

I feel really bad for you. I feel like you have been scammed into believing and putting alot of your free time into something that will not pay back the return on your faith.. I feel like if you had the ability to for one second look at the world objectivly and logically you would find so much more happiness than you could from a book written by goat herders 2000 years ago.

As an athiest, I realize I have one shot at life. Theres no do-overs or second chances, or skycastles. This helps me to not take things for granted. It helps me live everyday to the fullest, and gives me the strength to get out of bed and live/love/help my friends.

I am not obliged to do anything because a book told me too. I do things for others, and support others because I as a human have a moral obligation to do so.

So, don't feel sorry for us, we are living our lives for ourselves and our loved ones to the fullest. And it is damn good.

July 16, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
        • kerfluffle

right on

July 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
        • Maani

"As a human I have a moral obligation to do so." Really?! And where, praytell, does that "moral obligation" stem from? After all, if such a "moral obligation" exists, then why don't ALL atheists agree on what those "moral obligations" are?

July 31, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
      • cedar rapids

"My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy"
        .....Sir David Attenborough.

July 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
      • Andrew

What you see when you look around is the absolute beauty and wonder of evolution. As Richard Dawkins calls it: "The Greatest Show on Earth". Your problem probably is that you do not really understand how evolution works and it is so much easier to just buy the myth that "god did it". Evolution is an incredibly wondrous and incredibly simple concept, but it does take some effort to understand it. God is the easy way out!

July 16, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
        • Maani

Actually...Darwin believed in evolution with "first cause"; i.e., a "Creator" who "impressed upon matter" the "laws" (including evolution) that govern it, by "breathing life into a few forms, or into one." Those are his exact words from Origin of Species. Might want to read it to see what it actually says. LOL.

July 31, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
      • EvinAR

All you have to do is look around you? How about you do this – look around you, pick any one thing, and start studying it in a manner worthy of that thing you call a brain. The beauty of nature is a product of both our survival and attributes of things that help those other things survive, because constant survival is obviously what any lineage has resulted from for billions of years. The sun is beautiful because it allows us to see and is warm, both survival functions; flowers are colorful because colorful, fragrant flowers are the ones that have been most enjoyed over millions of years, by both us and bees, instead of being eaten prematurely by many other things, so that we're left with colorful flowers and a sense of beauty for them.

In other words, you think backwards. Beauty exists because we've existed with the world for millions of years, not because... well, what's your reason things are 'beautiful'?

July 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • Randy M

You really don't read these all the way through. In the second instance, he is backing up so that he can clarify and explain how it happened. It is really pretty evident and this is really a silly one to bring up. You are trying to take phrases, read them quickly without understanding the true thoughts. Have you not ever seen a movie where it starts at the end and then goes backward to tell the story. These are two different stories with two different points. They are not confusing and they are not contradictory. It is hard for me to believe that you really don't understand this.

July 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
      • Cpt. Obvious

Christians are very adept at explaining why the bible contradicts itself in so many places. They have to be.

July 16, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
      • Cpt. Obvious

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk&w=640&h=390]

July 16, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
  9. Rich

I can easily see this expanding into additional groups. I seem to fit a little into many of these.

I believe there is no god.
    Religions are on the most part a danger to us all.
    Some religions have some benefits. (Social interactions, teaching neighborly conduct, and applying a moral practice)
    Some religious rituals I practice just because they are fun. (Christmas, Easter, etc. )
    I don't try to preach anything but will engage in debate if somebody wants to.
    I don't critisize others for their beliefs, and if they insist on a prayer, I simply bow my head and remain silent out of courtesy.
    From a scientific point of view, there may be life forms that could be called a god from our perspective.
    Although raised as a protestent, I see most religious teachings as the ramblings of a crazy person.

July 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Third Eagle of the Apocalypse

Agreed.

I seem to fit in most of these group to one degree or another based on the mood I’m in that day. I would also point out that 59 people doesn’t even come close to a reasonable scientific standard or statistic. Trying to group a people based on the lack of e belief is a big stretch. Next should we group people that don’t believe in The Loch Ness monster or those that don’t believe in Scientology? This seems like another poor attempt to equate religion and a lack of belief in the arcane.

July 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Randy M

The only religions that are dangerous from your perspective are if they teach war, hate or intolerance to the point of persecution. I would agree that some practice that way even if the original religion does not. Like Westboro Baptist in my opinion are not Christian. They teach hate and intolerance of all. Extreme Muslims also are much the same way. But most religions are tolerant even if they are adamant in their beliefs. I don't believe that everyone being atheist would solve anything. People can be mean, corrupt and violent and they will use whatever they want to be who they want to be. Being an atheist does not change a person into an angel and people will always be sheep and be led by fools. But that does not mean that the correct form of Christianity is wrong, or led by fools. Remember even the very best Christian person is still a person who is fallible, which is why I believe in the grace of god and not the dictator god. We have choice and that is so you don't have to go to heaven and be with god if you don't want to. But if you do there is a way and the way was made by God himself through the person Jesus Christ.

July 16, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
      • Oregon Jeff

"Like Westboro Baptist in my opinion are not Christian. They teach hate and intolerance of all."

But they can back it up with scripture. Therefore your claim that they are not Christian amounts to nothing more than a no true Scotsman fallacy.

"Extreme Muslims also are much the same way."

Yet they're still Muslims.

It could be reasonably argued that those that are the most orthodox in their beliefs are the *true believers* and all who reinterpret the scripture to be more accepting, loving, tolerant, etc. are the ones that aren't practicing the "true" faith.

"But most religions are tolerant even if they are adamant in their beliefs."

That's a function of human influence on the religion and not on the tenets of the religion actually being tolerant.

"I don’t believe that everyone being atheist would solve anything."

No? Why not?

"People can be mean, corrupt and violent and they will use whatever they want to be who they want to be."

This already happens. However, because of religion, you get some people being mean and their behavior validated by "holy" scripture.

"Being an atheist does not change a person into an angel ..."

No, but it takes away the god excuse.

"... and people will always be sheep and be led by fools."

Of course it is.

"Remember even the very best Christian person is still a person who is fallible, ..."

And yet atheists are the most under-represented group in prison. Why do you suppose that is?

"... which is why I believe in the grace of god and not the dictator god."

You believe in the god of your own making and then you use scripture to back up this god of your own making, ignoring anything in the scripture that is contradictory to this god of your own making.

"We have choice and that is so you don’t have to go to heaven and be with god if you don’t want to. But if you do there is a way and the way was made by God himself through the person Jesus Christ."

And what happens if you picked the wrong god? In recorded history, man has come up with over three thousand different gods. What're the chances you were born into a family that followed the teachings of the right one?

July 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
        • Maani

"But they can back it up with scripture."

No, they back it up with Scripture TAKEN ENTIRELY OUT OF CONTEXT to support their agenda.

"Yes, but those that make the conscious choice to eschew supernatural thinking are less likely to be led by someone else."

You mean, like those who were led by Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, etc.?

["But that does not mean that the correct form of Christianity is wrong, or led by fools."]

"Of course it is."

How so?

July 31, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  10. Dyslexic doG

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

July 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Randy M

The Trinity is a difficult concept. But God can do whatever he wants and is not bound by our understandings or imaginations. Here is my best attempt at explaining the Trinity.

God the Father is mind body and spirit just like the ancients and religious people believe we are. God the Father is the mind, he conceives of what to do but the body does the work not the mind. The body is Jesus who has existed since before time because he created the universe and heaven as the acting power of the trinity. The Holy Spirit is the third member and that is where the desire and emotions lie. It is said by John that God is love. So the Holy Spirit is a spirit of love. The HS is also referred to as the comforter by Jesus. This would also imply that the HS is the love of God expressed. The HS came to the earth on the day of pentecost (50 days from the passover). Christians are filled with the HS upon salvation(the acceptance of Jesus as the son of god who came to earth as a sacrifice for the sin of the world). I believe that you would rank the mind higher than the body so when Jesus says that the Father is greater it makes sense to a Christian believer. I hope this helps you.

July 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
  11. Chester

How about another type: #7, Humanist. Many atheists are really humanists. They believe in the good that society can do from a human standpoint, not from a religious standpoint. They believe in love, trust, honesty, peace, and compassion, that one human can show towards others. Not because religion dictates it, but because humans have a choice how to act, and that's how they want to act.

July 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • ME II

Humanism is a philosophy or ethical system.
      Atheism is often a simple negative response to a proposition, i.e. not a belief system.

July 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
      • kerfluffle

how is atheism not a belief system?

July 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
        • ME II

As I said it is a negative response to a proposition.
          For example, "I don't believe in your supposed God."
          That in no way implies a system of beliefs, simply a lack of belief in the proposed system.

July 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
        • Fuzzy

The very definition of atheist is non belief

July 16, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
        • kerfluffle

hogwash

i am not a theist

that does not mean that i lack a 'belief system'

i simply reject the notion of a deity

it is okay if you don't get it, but stop trying to pigeonhole that which you do not understand

it is flabbergasting that people find it easier to follow a deity than to understand or respect those that do not

July 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
        • fintastic

I think youi misunderstand. The defination if atheism is "a lack of belief in god" that doesn't mean you don't believe in other things but most certainly, atheism is NOT a belief system.

July 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
        • ME II

@kerfuffle,
          "that does not mean that i lack a 'belief system'"

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but I'm not saying that you don't have a belief system, just that whatever that belief system is, e.g. humanism, etc. it is not dictated by Atheism. Atheism itself does not have an inherent doctrine or set of beliefs that must be adhered to.

July 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

Systemic beliefs of an atheist are drawn and quartered via their mentored philosophies which by the waysides are bigoted with many negative connotations central to any atheist's main perspectives. Deny such if one wills but the truth bites doesn't it?

July 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
        • kerfluffle

okay, i will acquiesce that my atheism represents a void to a deist, but my entire intellectual, cultural and social construct is by all means representative of a fully functioning belief system.

or are you intimating that the concept of belief and belief systems is the soleroperty of deists?

July 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • ME II

In other words, any of the six listed could also be Humanists.

July 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
    • DustyOnes

Most Humanist are Christian. The movement was never about "atheism", but about the interaction of human and nature. St. Thomas could have been considered a Humanist...so could have Roger Bacon.

July 16, 2013 at 3:51 pm |
  12. Dyslexic doG

Who is the father of Joseph?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

July 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • Alias

I vastly prefer the incorrect statements of fact.
      Less room for interpretation with these.
      One of my favorites is the 4 different versions of jesus' last words.

July 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
  13. Dyslexic doG

War or Peace?

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

July 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
  14. Danita

As a Pantheist, even if there was proof of "a God" i still wouldn't worship it. my GOD is "GreatOutDoors". I also dont say there isn't one. I just dont care one way or another!

July 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
  15. Aly

I think I'm in between a Non-theist and a Ritual Atheist.
    Loved this, by the way.

July 16, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
  16. Not really required

Behold, another attempt to polarize instead of understand. altruism will rot away the world.

July 16, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
    • Doing your Wife

Shut up, christian bible thumper

July 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
      • BIG SHIZ

You're a cowardly little bi tch

July 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm |
    • lol??

Behold?? That sounds Mormon.

July 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Race baiting and religious polarization is a very lucrative "news" tactic.

July 16, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • Justin

this is a really confusing comment. do you believe selflessness polarizes?

July 16, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
  17. lol??

The A&A's at CNN are tryin' to pull one over on the advertisers with these short pages.

July 16, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
  18. ctnv

The greatest obstacle to your faith is your own mind.

July 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
    • { ! }

And the greates obstacle to your own mind is your own emotions.

July 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
  19. Doing your Wife

Everyone is right, there is no God. Proof? Black people

July 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • 60Hz

Did you mean to say: proof there is no god: american slavery (because after all that is a pretty atrocious act all done for greed at the cost of millions of lives and trauma)?

July 16, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
  20. ME II

Does posting a comment always take you to the next page?

July 16, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

It has been for me.

July 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yup – or at least to the top of the thread.

July 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm |