home
RSS
July 15th, 2013

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

(Ahem.)

2) Activist

3) Seeker-agnostic

4) Anti-theist

5) Non-theist

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

6) Ritual atheist

Please try to keep your questions related to the study itself.

Thanks,
Daniel Burke

- CNN Belief Blog

soundoff (9,518 Responses)
  1. TDM

I see they are still holding the pages at about 10 responses to cut the possibility of and conversation continuing. Well done, CNN. Not.

Fix this glitch!

July 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The biggest problem is that the recent post links (and the return after posting link) are all off by one page.

Once this is no longer on the front page, conversations will be more practical.

July 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
      • Vic

I think that may be due to dynamic pages sizing or so.

July 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
      • OTOH

I'm not getting anywhere by clicking a name on "Recent Posts" - tried paging back one # - no soap.

I hope they fix it soon.

July 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • Vic

I think it is a threads per page limit to allow for more nested replies allocation. Depending on the number of replies per thread, some of that allocation may end up unused.

July 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
  2. Lisa

I think a lot of these labels are wrong, but the one that fits me the most is intellect atheist agnostic.

July 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  3. Real atheist

This attempt at categorization is hilarious. It's like saying there are 6 kinds of fingers – those with nails, those with knuckles, those with prints, etc... In other words, they aren't separate categories at all. If this actually gets published in a scholarly journal, I would add that journal to the rapidly expanding list of "junk" journals that will publish anything they receive (usually for a price).

July 17, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • Madtown

Yup. They publish this stuff because they know it will draw a lot of comments, and web traffic. It's business, they're looking to please advertisers. 5000+ comments, looks like they were successful.

July 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

This interpretation misrepresents the study.

I agree that the categories are overlapping – they represent behaviors more than they represent common 'schools' of disbelief.

The purpose of the survey (and the creation of the categories) is to refute the idea that all atheists are militant anti-religionists (the anti-theists). It does that. The survey demonstrates that about 15% of the non-believers surveyed self-identified as 'anti-theists'.

July 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
  4. Reason+

Most of the slaughter in human history was performed by armies marching into battle under the mantle: God (under whatever name) is on our side. Those slaughtered probably felt that their God had betrayed them or their misdeeds brought down the fury of their God. I do quite well without the shackles of religion. I also believe that many morals and mores in religious works were the product of the human brain dealing with human interactions of the times, not the hand of God wielding a judgmental pen..

July 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • hls08@msn.com

Can you give me numbers of "most of the slaughter in human history". I always hear this, but I wonder where the numbers are. I hear millions and millions etc. I would bet most of the slaughter on earth has occurred because of greed and power (under the guise of religion) which I'm sorry to inform you, will not disappear from the earth if religion does. Good luck with that pipe dream.....

July 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Wrong Reason

A proper examination of history will find that far more people have been killed by those who would end religion. It is a common straw man argument to toss up the Crusades, as deplorable as they were, as the great example of religion-justified genocide. One only need glimpse at the twentieth century to witness the bloodshed caused by anti-religious leaders and their followers. Furthermore, it is fallacious to characterize a religion by followers who do not properly embody the tenets of the belief system. However, atheism has no belief system except the belief that there is no belief system. Therefore, it is proper to judge atheism by the actions of those who declare no religion to be the proper non-belief system.

July 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Don't malign the Crusades. From what I can see, it's not that they occurred that chafes. The biggest problem people have with them is they don't like the fact of who won

July 17, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  5. Human

Why does anyone need to be categorized? This idea that the media is trying to impose on people is just ridiculous. Another way to keep people from being peaceful. Why does it matter what religion a person is or not? People worry way too much what other people do. Just mind your own business. Simple as that. We are all in this together anyway. The funny thing is, we as human beings should be able to get it by now. Throughout all of history some race, religious sect or country has tried to extinguish the other labeled race, religious sect or country. Why? Because people always feel others are trying to impose their ideas on others. The same with government. We the people are all governments. We just have been brainwashed by these oligarchs to believe that we need to follow and fear. The whole idea that we live under fear for or of government, police, military, god, country is beyond absurd. We don't need any of that stuff. We are who we are already. We police ourselves, we protect ourselves. We don't need this whole idea shoved down our throats anymore. With the amount of technology that we have, why do we even elect officials? People should have their own vote and own say. Or even why do we have a say in what others do anyway? People are smart enough to know that death and killing are bad. But, we have a created this false illusion that we need policing, we need government, we need religion. When in all reality, we just need to live, love and be ourselves. There is no liberal, there is no conservative. Just be an individual. People scream about racism when actually screaming about it is actual racism. No race is superior to the other. It's just a false illusion that we have all duped ourselves into believing. We as human beings can have structure without having to fear. It's pretty simple really. We do it already, but we all get worked up about what others do. It doesn't matter. Be yourself. Do for yourself. Throw away the security blanket and realize we are all individuals. We were born alone, we live alone and we will die alone. Everything else is just a mix of heresy.

July 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • Wrong Reason

Therefore, you are declaring yourself a god; all of life's answers can be self-attained. Therefore, since you believe in yourself to possess this capability, you are not atheistic.

July 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
      • Human

I haven't declared myself anything. And I don't need to. And to be honest the answer that I may be looking for may not be the right answer for you or anyone else. And I'll even go so far as to say, who says I am looking for an answer anyway? Just live. Be who you are, be who you wanna be, not what someone else tells you. I'm not telling you to follow me or even asking to be followed.

July 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  6. Vic

Jesus Christ Is Lord

July 17, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • Madtown

"Who's Jesus?"

– your human brother who God placed in an area where I'll never learn about christianity.

July 17, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • lol??

A&A's don't know who Jesus is but they sure know a Christian when they see one.

July 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
      • Doobs

Yeah, it's the one pointing fingers at everyone else.

July 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
    • Doobs

Why did Jeebus have to come to the Americas on a boat, then?

July 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • TDM

The Word according to Vic. Gee, that was convincing. Guess I'll not question anything anymore.

July 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
    • Observer

Vic,

That's strange. The Bible talks about them being two separate people and Jesus talks about his "father". Strange.

July 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • mzh

Dear Vic,

I felt obligated to let you and others know that what one of the things that Quran teaches about Jesus:

3:49 – And [make him Jesus] a messenger to the Children of Israel, [who will say], 'Indeed I have come to you with a sign from your Lord in that I design for you from clay [that which is] like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird by permission of Allah . And I cure the blind and the leper, and I give life to the dead – by permission of Allah . And I inform you of what you eat and what you store in your houses. Indeed in that is a sign for you, if you are believers.

3:50 – And [I (Jesus) have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me (Jesus).

3:51 – Indeed, Allah is my (Jesus) Lord and your (companions) Lord, so worship Him. That is the straight path."

5:116 – And [beware the Day] when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah ?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen.

5:117 – I said not to them except what You commanded me – to worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them as long as I was among them; but when You took me up, You were the Observer over them, and You are, over all things, Witness.

5:118 – If You should punish them – indeed they are Your servants; but if You forgive them – indeed it is You who is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

5:119 – Allah will say, "This is the Day when the truthful will benefit from their truthfulness." For them are gardens [in Paradise] beneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide forever, Allah being pleased with them, and they with Him. That is the great attainment.

5:120 – To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and whatever is within them. And He is over all things competent.

Peace be upon all of you!!!

July 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  7. Justanothered

After reading your types, I would have to say I fall into your 6th category.
    But I would like to add that I firmly believe that without organized religion, there are just too many members of our society that would be completely lost.

July 17, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  8. Jay Darby

I'm not sure if I am an atheist but I am not religious. I do believe there is a higher power out there, in some form, but
    disagree with what we were taught in Sunday School. I seriously doubt there is an afterlife but it would be nice if there
    was but how can a single being, which cannot be seen, have all of the love and compassion that a God is supposed to
    have and yet, allow all of the death, disease, difficulties, and other maladies to afflict humanity. The "God is testing us"
    doesn't cut it anymore. Show me the proof of God's existence, and I will believe in Him.

July 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  9. Journey

This story is a rehash from a few months ago. Nice agenda pushing CNN.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

July 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Are you talking about the article or the pictures?

The pictures are a rehash. I have not seen this study before.

July 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  10. Susan

I believe in God, no doubt he has been in my life. Even if we find out there is no God, wouldn't it be better to believe and there not be a God then to disbelieve and there be a God? Do atheists talk to themselves when they feel they have been wronged, had to suffer a death of a friend, or even been close to the death bed themselves?

July 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • JimK57

Ofcourse they do. Even though those feelings are irrational they are human.

July 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • sam

That's as dumb as me saying that when you pray, you too are just talking to yourself.

July 17, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • raw75

Pascal's Wager is a weak argument for believing in any god(s). What if the god you choose to believe in is the wrong god, what then?

July 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • Indi

I always find this argument odd. Either you believe in something, or you don't. You can't MAKE yourself believe in something if you don't believe it. At least, I can't without being presented with some objective evidence.

Could you make yourself believe in Zeus or Odin, just on the off chance the Greeks or Norse had it right? Atheists view the Judeo-Christian deity the same way you view all the thousands of gods in whom you DON'T believe.

July 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
  11. Reality

Only for those still believing in the "Easter" con:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15: 14, Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

Even now Catholic/Christian professors (e.g.Notre Dame, Catholic U, Georgetown) of theology are questioning the bodily resurrection of the simple, preacher man aka Jesus.

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke records it. (Luke mentions it in his gospel and Acts, i.e. a single attestation and therefore historically untenable). The Ascension ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers.

The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

July 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • JimK57

Good post.

July 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • faith

yea, but we can't rest. we gots reli types teachin at harvard and m.i.t. and all over poppin up preachin hate. we got 2 work harder!

July 17, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
  12. Jack

After-life. Humans are just greedy by nature, always wanting more. However, I have no problem with religion or those who believe in a "God", I simply do not and that is just how I feel about it. I feel like religion became a tool to used to control people over time, that is why it was actually an early form of government.

July 17, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • lol??

Abe didn't buy a marriage license from Sodom so he must have had a defiled marriage bed, at least according to socies.

July 17, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
      • Candiano

When God Himself comes down to marry people personally, you will have a point. Otherwise, you have none.
        Don't like government? Try and find *one* place to live that doesn't have some form of it. And then move there. You can be your own King.

And what is a socie? You keep dodging an answer.

July 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
  13. Jeff

I view myself as more of a 3.
    I try my best to live my life based on one rule, "Be good to people."
    If there is a god and an afterlife, if he/she is worth being worshiped then he/she will reward those who are good people regardless of where they spend their Sunday mornings.

July 17, 2013 at 11:57 am |
  14. Sybil J

I am an atheist, but I do admit that one cannot prove that there is no god. One also cannot prove that there is one. I find it more logical not to jump to supernatural conclusions just because we don't have answers for questions like: how did the universe come into being?, what causes "miracles"?, etc. Just because we don't know answers to these does not mean we must jump to the idea that a god made all this. I know many people would call this agnostic, but I still do not believe in a supernatural cause for things, so I really am an atheist.

I do observe Dhristmas because my friends do, but only for the company and the parties. I also find a psychological change in my brain when I engage in ritual but it is the same change that occurs when I attend really good theater or a wonderrful concert.

July 17, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

You describe an agnostic atheist. It is a sensible position to hold.

There is a lot of confusion as to the best meanings of the words atheist and agnostic. One of the goals of this study is to refute the idea that all athesists are militant anti-religionists (the anti-theists). This definition of 'atheist' is the one promoted by the religious right. It is inaccurate.

The study demonstrates that about 15% of the non-believers surveyed self-identified as 'anti-theist'.

July 17, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • Melissa Greene

I was raised a Christian and it's been a long hard road and a lot of education to get where I'm at today. I am a seeker-agnostic that at the same time thinks that religion is pretty dangerous to society. It has hurt people from the beginning, as a child I had a very low self esteem due to religion and knew that I would never be as good as a boy and spent the majority of my time terrified of hell. None of this was necessary, I was drug from one redneck church to another, they all broke up usually because the preacher was sleeping with a member. I am much happier now and embrace science and feel that I actually have some control over my own life. I was always taught that at any moment the devil could take over your mind, I never knew if what I was thinking was a result of my own thoughts or the devil, very sad. I of course am raising my daughter "totally" different and we do celebrate holidays like Christmas and Easter. I celebrate them as agnostic cultural holidays, you spend time with family and they started as pagan holidays anyway! Oh, and they're FUN!

July 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
      • OTOH

Good for you, Melissa!

I know the feeling. Raised Catholic, we were taught that all of humanity is basically a pile of poop. We, dear, special Catholics, though, were at the top of the pile - prime poop, as it were. Being taught that we would disappear if "God" stopped thinking about us for even a millisecond, was terrifying.

July 17, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
  15. CRG

The idea of Atheism is as silly as the religions it purports to negate. You cannot disbelieve in something unless you consider the possibility of its existence. Therefore Atheism is meaningless. To me, there is also a problem with our idea of existence. The human mind based on its limited experience seems incapable of considering the possibility of something beyond existence other than non-existence. Thus, the argument can be made that if evil exist then God does not exists. That is the limit of our logic and our experience. To quote Aldous Huxley ('Island"): "God give us faith, but deliver us from belief."

July 17, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Atheism doesn't purport to "negate" religion. And the rest of your post is almost as bad.

July 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
      • FAITH

amen bro. what bird brains. we love religitards. what else would there be 2 do all day if we didn't have them evil group of morons 2 trash? nuttin. they gives meaning to our empty lives

2.3 million 4 nuttin!

July 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
      • FAITH

amen bro. what bird brains. we love re lig itards. what else would there be 2 do all day if we didn't have them evil group of morons 2 trash? nut tin. they gives meaning to our empty lives

2.3 million 4 nu tin!

i prefer a nghf to explain how posting works

July 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • Zeus

You have poor understanding of atheism and logic

July 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • TDM

Do you believe in Thor? No? Same concept. Easy.

July 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Nonsense. The existence of religion forces a consideration that it is based on material tenets. Rejection of those tenets (disbelief) is a reasonable conclusion.

July 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
    • Doobs

So you're saying that I have to believe in the possibility of leprechauns, Santa Claus and Medusa in order not to believe in them? How silly.

July 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
      • Doobs

Sorry for the double post – something wonky going on with my posts.

July 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
    • D00BS

July 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • What?

What? You cannot disbelieve in something unless you admit it exists?

I don't believe in Bigfoot, does that mean bigfoot must exist if I don't believe in it? What are you saying?

July 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
  16. KevinLP

I too am a combination of the "types". When struck by the assertion or expectation that being a Christian (or in my state, Mormon)is the only acceptable way for my family (particularly my kids) to live and breathe. When under pressure to be "more Christian", I tend to become more active or anti-theist. Surrounded at work and home by a variety of "believers" can be frustrating. Were I to dare utter comments about past executions and "us-or-death" genocide at the hands of monotheistic religions or their corporate-style fixation with wealth, power and money, or my inability to accept stories of miracles passing by word through thousands of hands in different languages, I become a social pariah. Its really strange how religions harken back to past oppression or imposed disadvantage as a minority population, and when a religion becomes the mainstream "standard", it inevitably imposes its norms and standards on the indigenous and the unbelieving. We are living a subtle but obvious move toward a Christian Sharia system of laws and values. SO this aethist is not quite ready to move to Salem... in time, we'll be burning witches again and declaring blasphemous any science that doesn't fit the all-encompassing bible... The dark ages could only happen when religion became so powerful it swung like an axe upon those who dared to act, or worse, think independently. If we can break free of political and religious correctness, we will first tax the wealth of all churches which preach political dogma or prop up their candidates of choice, and allow people to choose to value worship, if any, on individual terms. Leave ancient stories of miracles and damnation out of politics. I have kids and I want them to choose a faith, not be indoctrinated by a "born-again" social system. So box me in wherever it appears I might fit.

July 17, 2013 at 11:54 am |
  17. Bill

Is there a name for not believing that the moon has a chocolate center? Let's sit down, over-analyze, and categorize the different ways in which people don't believe that the moon has a chocolate center. Some of us would say it is impossible. Some of us would say that we haven't ruled it out and thus should afford it some consideration. Some of us would say that we simply don't have evidence either way. And some of us would say that this entire conversation is absurd and that there is no practical value in carefully delineating the infinite number of ways we can express disbelief and doubt in things we haven't been provided sufficient objective evidence to bother considering in the first place!

July 17, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Your chocolate moon analogy leaves out a society where 90% of the population believe it, have buildings built to discuss it, have special laws in place to protect believers of chocolate moon. For an analogy to work, it's got to represent the object accurately.

July 17, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Bill

your attempt at reductio ad absurdum fails.

July 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  18. Melissa Greene

Atheists however, are shown to have higher IQs and the part of their brains that deal with critical thinking is larger, in conservatives studies have shown that the part of their brain that senses fear is larger,

July 17, 2013 at 11:53 am |
  19. DC

It doesn't help advance any discourse, when opposition to a belief becomes almost as fanatic as the belief itself.

Atheists (of almost any persuasion) claim that the world would be better off without religion. As if, all the horrors in the world were perpetrated solely by the religious. Anybody remember Communists or is it passe to talk about them?

Bottom line is – religion isn't necessary to form a moral code of living, but (and one cannot deny this), more often than not it helps. Neither atheists nor 'believers' have a 'superior' outlook or position.

Atheists usually forget that the religion forms an inextricable part of the human history, with its myth and lore. To reject all that is to state that merely one's being here and now matters and nothing in the past was of any consequence.

What is really needed is for more and more people to discover their own individual selves, not necessarily allied with this -ism or that.

July 17, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • R.M. Goodswell

Soviet style communism had NOTHING to do with converting people to atheism. If the state wants to assume total control they will have to discourage and shut down all other forms of social control. Soviet style communism was socialism in name only, in truth it was just another autocratic state, a very few ruling many. In the neither here nor there category Nothing about socialism say you have to give up one shred of personal freedom. Socialism simply mean that SOME resources are set aside for those that need a hand (elderly and handicapped) or large civic works.

July 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

you need to actually look at the survey.

The whole purpose of the survey is to demonstrate that your statement: "Atheists (of almost any persuasion) claim that the world would be better off without religion" is patently false.

The people you describe as atheists are the "anti-theists" and yes, there are atheists like that. The study demonstrates that about 15% of the non-believers surveyed self-identified as anti-theists.

July 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • sayit

Agreed on the point that it's not the religious or non-religious that cause the problems of the world. It's fanaticism and intolerance.

If atheists are correct and religion is all in the mind, then they can not blame religion for abhorrent behavior. You have to blame the human mind. It's human nature. It doesn't matter what you believe or don't believe. If you're willing to do harm to impose your view of the world on others, you are exactly what you claim your opponents are.

July 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Wait a minute there.....

Religion doesn't have to own up what is done in its name? how nice..... Yup lets let the religions continue a few more centuries – should turn out well for us....

July 17, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
  20. Larry L

Interesting somebody felt the need to classify atheists. I wonder how groups it would take to classify the religious folks?

July 17, 2013 at 11:51 am |