home
RSS
July 15th, 2013

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic

They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.

(Ahem.)

2) Activist

3) Seeker-agnostic

4) Anti-theist

5) Non-theist

In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.

6) Ritual atheist

Please try to keep your questions related to the study itself.

Thanks,
Daniel Burke

- CNN Belief Blog

soundoff (9,518 Responses)
  1. Existence

I used to Love God. I really did. I always have. It's only that I've never seen him, have no definition for what God is and as Julia Sweeny said the invisible and the imaginary look an awful lot alike. I don't mean to be rude to God or to Christians. It's just a rather obvious part of my reality that I can't exactly ignore.

July 23, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • Evangeline

Seems a "dream" until we pass away...for then begins the nightmare. I think the hell they talk about is really just regret....but then I'm only guessing.

July 23, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
      • Lower astral

If my dreams of hell have any significance it's a lot worse than regret. Of course as you said one could argue it's only a dream.

July 23, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
  2. Tom Wilson

God is the Creator.
    He created the earth and stars.
    He created a variety of life.
    He created starvation among humans and animals.
    He created diseases that kill his own creations.
    He created hate so we could kill each other.
    He created religions to hate each other.
    He created that little girl born without a brain.
    He created that little boy with no arms and no legs.
    He created people with useless body's.
    He created automobile wrecks to help population control.
    He created Clergyman to show people how to lead sheep to the alter.
    He even created me to create this bit of creationalism.
    Therefore, I bring to you the end of creation !
    Looks like I may have even created a new word 🙂

July 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Evangeline

You're the apple of your Father's eye!

July 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • mike

It looks like you do not see the goodness of life just the bad points.

July 23, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
      • Tom Wilson

Can you please show me some of the good points with your proof sources ?

Thanks !

July 23, 2013 at 11:27 pm |
  3. TonyGa

Active atheist are the funniest. There activism against religion is almost Taliban like. Get a life and let others live theirs.

July 23, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • Tom Wilson

So we are Taliban like huh ? The Taliban is just another fanatical Religion, nothing more, nothing less.

July 23, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • Observer

TonyGa,

Tell that to all the Christians who pick on gays and pro-choice supporters.

July 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
    • chrisnfolsom

Interesting your reference a religious group (Taliban) in mocking Athiests to religious groups. Really, athiests are MORE crazy then Religious groups? I think the problem is that they are dealing with people who have no basis for their beliefs and you really can't change someones mind if they are not willing to look at facts, hypocrisy – they believe because they do, and they are right no matter what. That can be difficult – what would you do if the Taliban came to America and decided to make sheria law?

July 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
      • Tom Wilson

The muslims are in this country now and are trying to make Sharia law part of the law of the land of Michigan.. Religion always worms its way in whether wanted or not.

July 23, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Oh like the christians that want to change society to conform to their beliefs – teaching unfounded religious beliefs in place of verifiable science, creating laws based upon their religious beliefs, etc.

July 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
      • Tom Wilson

Can you describe an active atheist ? Is that a person who does not believe in invisible/unprovable things out playing golf ?

July 23, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
  4. Joe

I'm a Christian, but my inner atheist fits both number 1 and 3. I don't put God in some little box that suites me, and I can just as easily consider reality from a non-theistic frame of reference as from a teleological one.

Additionally, I don't believe in "spirituality", just truth and knowledge (science); or ritual Christianity without actual belief, as anything man made can be made better by man.

July 23, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • jazzguitarman

Joe, since you say you're a Christian, I beleive it is fair to ask you if you believe in what I call the Christian 'myths'? e.g. virgin birth (and that JC dad wasn't a human), that JC died and came back to life, etc...

July 23, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
      • silvawebdev

Does anyone hate this comment system on this blog? The emails are not giving me links directly to the story, and I cannot quote – it's very annoying.... there are great alternatives.

July 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
        • Evangeline

Amen to that comment! It's exhausting to reply to comments! I assumed it was my lack of "computerability" that was the problem, glad to hear it was not.

July 23, 2013 at 4:30 pm |
    • Evangeline

How can anyone "believe" and "not believe" at the same time? I hate to quote Scripture because I'm no authority on it, but I'm pretty sure I remember God saying He'd rather we be "stone cold" than lukewarm. Does that sound familiar at all?

July 23, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
      • chrisnfolsom

You can believe in what religion brings to you, the stories, the lessons and rituals, but not necessarily believe in the talking snake. Your church, your religions, and your personal beliefs can be different – and if you actually probed NO two people have exactly the same belief on everything...

July 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
      • jazzguitarman

I think Evangeline is asking a very good question here and it fits the article from the guy that says he is devoted to Jesus but not to Christ. Like Evangeline I find that very strange. If one doesn't feel JC is some type of 'god' than why be devoted to him. Hey, I love The Beatles but I'm not devoted to them. It is immature to worship anyone or anything, but I can understand why feel it is right to worship a so called god. But if JC is just another historical human being than to worship him is just silly.

July 23, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
        • Evangeline

But if Jesus Christ is Who He says He is, it would be silly NOT to worship Him...wouldn't it?

July 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
        • Athy

Worshipping somebody is not my thing. If Jesus needs to be worshipped, then I want no part of him. Is he really that vain?

July 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
      • Maani

Evangeline:

Here is the verse you are suggesting:

"And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

July 25, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
  5. houstonbrit

Being an ultra open-minded person, I have never been affiliated with any religion.

July 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  6. CK

I’m Catholic and I don’t feel that atheists should be generalized!

July 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Athy

I'm an atheist and i don't think Catholics should be generalized.

July 23, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
      • CK

Thanks, Athy.

July 23, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  7. rubysoho1980

No Greg Graffin? PhD in evolutionary biology, professor at Cornell and UCLA, author, and frontman for Bad Religion?

July 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • CK

Or Stephen Hawking. He’s an atheists isn’t he?

July 23, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
      • CK

I’m sorry, he’s number 24. How embarrassing…

July 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
      • Maani

Actually, Hawking is at best a "nominal" atheist, since he supports the "Anthropic Principle."

July 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Technically, his PHD is in zoology, though he teaches introductory courses in evolutionary biology.
      I reference his thesis paper all the time in this forum (and have Suffer Boy tattooed on my leg).

July 23, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
  8. Apology Prayer

6-3. I don't want to believe, I 'know' intellectually no higher being but just can't shake the fear my parents and the tri-weekly trips to church as a child instilled in me...as in I find myself praying 'Please don't let me die of small pox, I'm sorry I don't really believe and I've never been around any small pox so I really don't think this prayer matters and I have been vacinated......in well in sorry I don't really belive in Jesus' name but thanks...' Seriously, I prayer apologize 1-2 times a month at least.

July 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • Evangeline

Hate to alarm you, but whether it's smallpox or something else....we're all going to die. Only God knows the hour, and trust me...He does. Seems sad that you have such a one-dimensional view of God....almost like an ogre. Who could love someone like that? If you're that afraid on a daily basis, maybe you should go back to the source itself, and see what God has to tell you. He wants the best for you....whether you "believe" it is up to you.

July 23, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
      • MateoinUtah

Wait God knows when I'm going to die? WOW, that's cool. And he wants the best for me? Ohh great. I guess if God knows so much, then he/she knows why he/she made me an Atheist then doesn't he/she?

July 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
        • br.j.sphilla

good point

July 23, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
      • Tom

Would this be the same God that at the least allows – and perhaps more scarily causes for reasons unknown to his creations – the vast amount of starvation, war, hate and other suchlike outcomes in this world? Is this the same God that you purport we should not think of as an ogre? If so, and that same God has the caring, loving side that you seem to admire, then at the least God is Jekyll / Hyde. More likely God is either non-existent or we are a discarded science project run amok.

July 23, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
      • jazzguitarman

Thanks for advising that poster to read the Koran. That is the source you are referring too, right?

July 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
      • Athy

How does god know and keep track of all this information for everyone on earth? Does he have helpers? A computer maybe? Who built the computer? How does he do all this with absolutely no one on earth being aware of it? I just have so many questions, Evangeline. Maybe you can help me. It sounds like you know all the details.

July 23, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
        • Evangeline

No, I certainly don't have all the answers! I don't understand how I can read the same passages as someone else & hear something entirely different. Could it have something to do with an open "heart"? I don't know, but that's slowly becoming my conclusion. I'm as surprised as anyone else by what I've read....and that's ALL I have to share.

Now that you mention it, computers seem to be a pretty close facsimile to our brains....memory banks, codes (like our DNA), electric circuits, language, graphics, delete buttons (sorry!), they even talk now. At my age I'm somewhat computer-challenged so don't judge me too harshly if I didn't explain it perfectly....I did my best. My point is simply that it's not that big a stretch to think that God is at least as smart as Bill Gates & any other computer geek.

July 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
        • chrisnfolsom

If you understand computers you know that the only way to understand the universe is to model it, and if you model it with the specificity of knowing the spins of atoms and subatomic particles which you would need to know to know the future of mankind – and you would need to suspend physics to speed things up – which of course would change how your universe works – and what the outcomes are as you cannot change something as basic as the speed of light without changing everything. Now when the Bible was written none of this was known and you could imaging "just knowing things", but along with controlling the weather, DNA, the earth, physics which tell us the age of things we know you cannot create the universe without recreating it, and you can't change time without changing everything and we also know that there are billions of stars in our galaxy and billions of galaxies so in reality it would similar to us creating an earth to look at one subatomic particle in an atom. The easier solution is that Christianity is a created belief the latest (perhaps) in a long line of past and current beliefs which man will inevitably do to understand, control and try to make sense of the world and is nothing to be ashamed of, but as with anything you must learn and move on – it is a beautiful thing that we have transcended to something new.

July 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
        • Evangeline

But our hearts are exactly the same as they were at the beginning....they have not evolved a single bit. Isn't it difficult to imagine billions of galaxies just appearing on their own? I think that's much more difficult to swallow than the idea of a God. And to keep them all spinning in perfect unison....I find that amazing! By the way....how did the early Bible writers know that the earth was a sphere? Even in Columbus' time they thought he'd roll right over the edge!

July 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
        • Observer

Evangeline

"By the way....how did the early Bible writers know that the earth was a sphere? "

Nope. The Bible talks about a 2-dimensional (flat) circle and never a 3-dimensional sphere. There's a huge difference between a drawing of a circle and a baseball.

July 23, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
        • Maani

Observer:

"The Bible talks about a 2-dimensional (flat) circle and never a 3-dimensional sphere. There's a huge difference between a drawing of a circle and a baseball."

That is because you probably did not study how ancient languages described things. In fact, the word "circle" in both Hebrew and Aramaic can mean either a "flat circle" or "sphere." In this regard, in Job 26:7, the earth is described as "suspended in space," just as the sun, moon, etc. are. This would strongly suggest a spherical earth, since it is being compared to other "bodies" that are "suspended in space." As well, Isaiah 40:21 speaks of "the circle of the earth." The Hebrew word used here is usually translated as "sphere."

July 25, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
      • chrisnfolsom

I might believe in your god, but you can't tell me anything, and he doesn't seem to tell you anything – as is the same as all the other religions over time. If god loves me that is great as he/she should understand my confusion and have pity on me. There is nothing we see that cannot be explained – if you say the bible, I say what about all the other bibles that seem just as real – why is yours different? If you say to guarantee good crops by donating to the local priests... well that has never worked. The only way a religion might help is in consolidating power and working as a government, but that is just being smart and organizing, and has nothing to do with a deity, but does have to do with power and is impressive, but nothing supernatural. Currently what we know about the universe IS super and incredible and way beyond what any of our ancestors could have imagined (and written in a book), but is is not supernatural. You call if Hubris, I say belief in something you cannot prove and only have anecdotal evidence at best is hubris.

July 23, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
        • Evangeline

I think it's supernatural the way God used ordinary people to perform incredible feats they could not have done on their own. He chose the outcasts, the ordinary, the least-likely candidates....that to me is "genius". He fashioned them for His "purpose". Who else would have chosen a hated tax collector, shepherds (also despised), someone who had persecuted Christians unmercifully (the Apostle Paul), simple fishermen and a woman of questionable character for the job? Not I!

This Bible is different because is starts at the beginning of time "In the beginning, God" (sharing with us that He was always here) and ends at Revelation (the very last days). The theme throughout all of it is God's character & saving grace. He didn't HAVE to describe to us how He created the universe (& us), but He knew we'd wonder....so He did. That simple act of unrequitted kindness is very telling about His character. Don't you agree?

July 23, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
  9. white pages cape town telephone directory

You made some decent points there. I regarded on the web for the problem and located most individuals will go along with with your website.

July 23, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  10. Mark

I'm 1, 2, and 4!

July 23, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  11. John

Awesome. Five people I've heard of and a pile of names that are meaningless. Much like this blog. If everyone could just believe and worship their own things, while keeping it to themselves(this includes you media), our planet would be such a better place.

July 23, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

There are 31 people on that list and you only recognize 5 – have you been living under a rock? You do know who Billy Joel is, don't you?

July 23, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • jazzguitarman

John, you're point about everyone keeping their belief system to themselves is sound, but I'm sure you know that religious groups would reject this a lot more than atheist.

July 23, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
  12. Kalam

If you want me to believe in God, you must first me me touch him.

July 23, 2013 at 6:34 am |
    • Maani

Kalam:

Have you ever "touched" a black hole? A photon? An electron? A quasar? Dark matter? A neutrino? My guess is that the answer is "no" to all of these. Yet I'm almost certain that you believe (accept) all of them.

Peace.

July 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
      • Tom Wilson

I have touched photons and been touched by photons, I have touched electrons and responded to the touch of electrons. Every time light strikes you, you have just been touched by a photon and every time you get a electrical shock, you have just touched electrons.

July 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
  13. chuck

Atheists are the biggest hypocrites on earth.

July 23, 2013 at 4:49 am |
    • LMAO

Making a statement like that doesn't mean it's true but one thing is for sure you've lost an argument to an atheists so you are just a disgruntled poster. LOL!

July 23, 2013 at 9:44 am |
    • i AM

i would have to say that politicians and TV preachers are the biggies hypocrites.

July 23, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • Robert Mugabe

Please elaborate.

July 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
      • Evangeline

Seems hypocritical to me to be filled with such hated for something that "doesn't even exist".

July 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  14. Tom Wilson

This is fun,

No one is right !
    No one is wrong !

Everyone is right !
    No one is right !

Solve, we all can go to bed now 🙂

July 23, 2013 at 2:33 am |
    • Evangeline

Good job Tom! However, since God decided what is right & wrong, and the "new" thinking (an old concept resurrected from the past) is that every man should decide for himself what is "right" & "wrong", there will never be a consensus about this. You're right....we may as well put away the boxing gloves and go to bed.

July 23, 2013 at 11:50 am |
      • sam stone

evangeline: "god" did no such thing. man did

July 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
  15. Tom Wilson

How many people on here have read the two following sites

and

Some pretty interesting things in those two.. It will make even a Super Christian scratch his head and wonder....

July 23, 2013 at 12:30 am |
    • Bob

Tom, I've looked at those 2 sites, especially evilblble.com, a lot. Great sites. Glad to know a lot of other people will see them.

July 23, 2013 at 1:06 am |
  16. hannah

My question: how much does the atheists know about God? how much do they know about all the religions out there?
    They don't know much more then the popular stereotypes they hear from their friends or on the media. You should get to know God, His true essence, His mercy first, before you start going against Him. If you don't want to do that, don't call yourselves atheists, call yourselves people that don't know God.

July 23, 2013 at 12:13 am |
    • Observer

Based on responses I've seen from Christians, atheists may know more about the Bible than believers. Believers seem to keep blinders on and only read/remember what they want to believe.

July 23, 2013 at 12:16 am |
      • Tom Wilson

As an atheist, I find it interesting to study about all the different Gods people have created. A Christian believes there is only one God and they can not agree on which one in a lot of the cases. Since a Christian believes in one God only, they do not look any further than the bible which of course is very open book with a lot of falsehoods in it. Most Christians do not know that in the bible, It states 9 times that if you pray in Jesus name, whatever you pray for will occur including moving mountains into oceans.. Do you really believe that ?? "Dear God, In Jesus name I pray for a new BMW car, Amen" and according to the bible, it shall happen.. No where does it state on what you can and can not ask for..

July 23, 2013 at 12:25 am |
        • Evangeline

If you were truly praying "in Jesus name"....would you really be praying for a BMW?

July 23, 2013 at 1:11 am |
        • Tom Wilson

What makes you think the object being prayed for is important ? The Bible say , In 9 places, If you pray in Jesus name, it will occur and it does not put limits on what you ask for, It even suggests a test like pray for a mountain to be moved into the ocean and if you have enough faith IT WILL BE !!

The salesmen catch here is the statement "if you have enough faith it will happen" and since it won't happen, it them becomes your fault for the lack of faith,

Your grandfather is very sick and on his death bed, You go in and pray in Jesus name to save your grandfather from dying knowing the Jesus says if you pray in his name it will happen..

And by morning your grandfather has died, was it because you didn't have enough faith ?? Was it because he was old, sick and going to die no matter what ?

There was a double blind test on prayer by Christians several years back,,, the results were the same from the Christian Group as it was from the atheist group.. What does that tell you ??

Go read the bible and learn !!

or

Go to http://www.evilbible.com and read the section where it says "Jesus Lie's" He lied when he said to pray in his name and it will happen, Give it a try if you don't believe me..

July 23, 2013 at 1:21 am |
        • Evangeline

Are you the one who keeps sending me those Facebook messages "send this prayer to 10 people & tomorrow your wish will come true"? God is not a genie! Our will is supposed to "align with His", not the other way around. He doesn't promise to always say "yes". Even Daniel & the others acknowledged that even if God said "no" to them in their trial, their faith wouldn't waiver. I think you're missing His point about having the "faith to move mountains". I think you're forgetting....our faith is to be "IN HIM".

July 23, 2013 at 2:06 am |
        • Tom Wilson

Then why are there 9 places in the bible that says if you pray in Jesus name, It will happen ?? Or do you think the bible is full of lies ?? I think it is full of lies ! Do you think Jesus is a liar ?

No, I don't send crap like that around the internet, not me !!

July 23, 2013 at 2:12 am |
        • Evangeline

Because if you were "praying in Jesus Name"....you'd be praying for things He would be praying for....and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a demand for a fancy car! God is not able to lie.....it's not in His nature. We just can't comprehend His words sometimes. That is something He would join you in praying for.....understanding His Word. I'd gladly join you too!

July 23, 2013 at 2:51 am |
        • Tom Wilson

Does not compute !

It is me praying for a BMW in Jesus name.. Nothing has been said that you can only pray for things that Jesus would pray for. Those 9 places in the bible say "If you pray in Jesus name, It will be" One of the 9 says if you pray in Jesus name and you have enough faith, you can move a mountain into the ocean.

July 23, 2013 at 2:57 am |
        • Evangeline

If you take God at His Word about that one verse, how can you not also take His Word for it that....He is the One True God, that He was here from the Beginning, that He created us & loves us, provides for us and will be here long after we're gone? You can't pick & choose which verses to believe....either He's truthful or He isn't....you decide. That's the whole theme of the Bible....accepting or rejecting God....He gave us a choice...a "free" will. I, for one, am very thankful for that.

July 23, 2013 at 11:34 am |
    • tallulah13

I call myself an atheist because "atheist" means someone who doesn't believe that any gods exist. The word conveniently suits me because I don't believe that any gods exist.

Do you know why I don't believe that any gods exist? Because there isn't a single shred of evidence that supports the existence of any god, not even yours.

July 23, 2013 at 12:50 am |