home
RSS
July 20th, 2013

Reza Aslan: Why I write about Jesus

Opinion by Reza Aslan, special to CNN

(CNN) - When I was 15 years old, I found Jesus.

I spent the summer of my sophomore year at an evangelical youth camp in Northern California, a place of timbered fields and boundless blue skies, where, given enough time and stillness and soft-spoken encouragement, one could not help but hear the voice of God.

Amid the man-made lakes and majestic pines my friends and I sang songs, played games and swapped secrets, rollicking in our freedom from the pressures of home and school.

In the evenings, we gathered in a fire-lit assembly hall at the center of the camp. It was there that I heard a remarkable story that would change my life forever.

Two thousand years ago, I was told, in an ancient land called Galilee, the God of heaven and Earth was born in the form of a helpless child. The child grew into a blameless man. The man became the Christ, the savior of humanity.

Through his words and miraculous deeds, he challenged the Jews who thought they were the chosen of God, and in return he was nailed to a cross. Though Jesus could have saved himself from that gruesome death, he freely chose to die.

Indeed, his death was the point of it all, for his sacrifice freed us all from the burden of our sins.

But the story did not end there, because three days later, he rose again, exalted and divine, so that now, all who believe in him and accept him into their hearts will also never die, but have eternal life.

For a kid raised in a motley family of lukewarm Muslims and exuberant atheists, this was truly the greatest story ever told. Never before had I felt so intimately the pull of God.

In Iran, the place of my birth, I was Muslim in much the way I was Persian. My religion and my ethnicity were mutual and linked. Like most people born into a religious tradition, my faith was as familiar to me as my skin, and just as disregardable.

After the Iranian revolution forced my family to flee our home, religion in general, and Islam in particular, became taboo in our household. Islam was shorthand for everything we had lost to the mullahs who now ruled Iran.

My mother still prayed when no one was looking, and you could still find a stray Quran or two hidden in a closet or a drawer somewhere. But, for the most part, our lives were scrubbed of all trace of God.

That was just fine with me. After all, in the America of the 1980s, being Muslim was like being from Mars. My faith was a bruise, the most obvious symbol of my otherness; it needed to be concealed.

Jesus, on the other hand, was America. He was the central figure in America’s national drama. Accepting him into my heart was as close as I could get to feeling truly American.

I do not mean to say that mine was a conversion of convenience. On the contrary, I burned with absolute devotion to my newfound faith.

I was presented with a Jesus who was less “Lord and Savior” than he was a best friend, someone with whom I could have a deep and personal relationship. As a teenager trying to make sense of an indeterminate world I had only just become aware of, this was an invitation I could not refuse.

The moment I returned home from camp, I began eagerly to share the good news of Jesus Christ with my friends and family, my neighbors and classmates, with people I’d just met and with strangers on the street: those who heard it gladly, and those who threw it back in my face.

Yet something unexpected happened in my quest to save the souls of the world.

The more I probed the Bible to arm myself against the doubts of unbelievers, the more distance I discovered between the Jesus of the Gospels and the Jesus of history – between Jesus the Christ and Jesus of Nazareth.

In college, where I began my formal study of the history of religions, that initial discomfort soon ballooned into full-blown doubts.

The bedrock of evangelical Christianity, at least as it was taught to me, is the unconditional belief that every word of the Bible is God-breathed and true, literal and inerrant.

The sudden realization that this belief is patently and irrefutably false, that the Bible is replete with the most blatant and obvious errors and contradictions — just as one would expect from a document written by hundreds of different hands across thousands of years — left me confused and spiritually unmoored.

And so, like many people in my situation, I angrily discarded my faith as if it were a costly forgery I had been duped into buying.

I began to rethink the faith and culture of my forefathers, finding in them a deeper, more intimate familiarity than I ever had as a child, the kind that comes from reconnecting with an old friend after many years apart.

Meanwhile, I continued my academic work in religious studies, delving back into the Bible not as an unquestioning believer but as an inquisitive scholar. No longer chained to the assumption that the stories I read were literally true, I became aware of a more meaningful truth in the text.

Ironically, the more I learned about the life of the historical Jesus, the turbulent world in which he lived, and the brutality of the Roman occupation that he defied, the more I was drawn to him.

Today, I can confidently say that two decades of rigorous academic research into the origins of Christianity has made me a more genuinely committed disciple of Jesus of Nazareth than I ever was of Jesus Christ.

I have modeled my life not after the celestial spirit whom many Christians believe sacrificed himself for our sins, but rather after the illiterate, marginal Jew who gave his life fighting an unwinnable battle against the religious and political powers of his day on behalf of the poor and the dispossessed – those his society deemed unworthy of saving.

I wrote my newest book, "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth" in order to spread the good news of the Jesus of history with the same fervor that I once applied to spreading the story of the Christ.

Because I am convinced that one can be a devoted follower of Jesus without being a Christian, just as I know that one can be a Christian without being a follower of Jesus.

Reza Aslan is a bestselling author and a scholar of religion. This article was adapted from his newest book, "Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth." The views expressed in this column are Aslan's alone.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Church • Jesus • Opinion

soundoff (4,311 Responses)
  1. Christ

Today I claimed myself the son of God, please follow me, I need one dollar from every American to show you the divine! One I receive a dollar from everyone I will mysteriously rise to heavens and never be seen again! If you want to be forgiven for sin please send me two dollars!

July 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Isn't that an old Charles Manson trick? Got the LSD to back that up?

July 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
      • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

At least it is possible to independently verify the existence of Manson. Not so with Jesus.

July 21, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
        • John P. Tarver

John the Baptist is the only one of the New Testament crew to make it into history books.

July 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
        • Mark

Wrong historian Josephus referred to Christ regularly.

July 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm |
        • Pest

Josephus was not a contemporary of the supposed Jesus. Try again.

July 21, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
        • John P. Tarver

A man born in 37 AD is hardly able to record information about a Christ born 14 May 6 BCE who lived less than 45 years. John made the record due to his works at the time, not just by one who witnessed the consequences to the Jews.

July 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
        • Mark

Josephus sought those who knew Jesus and walked with him, that's what historians do.

July 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
        • tallulah13

Actually, Josephus mentioned a guy named Jesus once. The more specific mention was proven to be a forgery, added much later. The fact that christians still use Josephus as a source indicates that they don't actually have any real sources.

July 21, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
        • Answer

A religious freak will cling to anything put in front of their faces to avoid questioning their bs religion.

July 21, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

Josephuis wrote about Hercules as if he lived, too.

July 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

The OP illustrates how simple it is to start a religion that last 2000 years. Not

July 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
  2. Ryan

The problem was he got upset that Evangelical Christianity gave him the wrong answer. The Catholic Church does not teach that every single word in the Bible is a literal truth, and there would be no Sacred Scripture without the Sacred Tradition of the Church. If Jesus was not the Son of God, he was a liar and should be ignored. He was not a liar though.

July 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

For example, the term "familial home" is mistranslated as "Inn". All seemingly part of a plan to make this Prince of Israel a poor man.

July 21, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
  3. Annat

I have also done quite a bit of research into God, Jesus and religion because I care more about what makes sense in my heart and mind than I care about accepting what mainstream religions are saying. Jesus was always giving people a hard time about being judgmental, overly religious and thinking they knew everything. Jesus was the ultimate heretic.

I love and respect Jesus whether he is a man or deity, it makes no difference to me. The example he set is good enough for me. My question to the people slamming this article is this, if you were faced with Jesus the man, would you see him? Or would he no longer be good enough for you to honor? I am sorry that somebody else's perspective is so threatening to you, and that you believe that you are superior or need to pity or rescue so-called "heretics" and "unbelievers" like me.

I have faith in God, not religion. You can say all you want that that is not faith, and you will always be wrong. Again, I want to thank the author for having the courage to write this article.

July 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

But which god do you have faith in? Your religious views will shape which god you believe in. There are thousands of them – religions and gods.

July 21, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
      • ttwp

There are many religions in the world, but only one Gospel.

July 21, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
        • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Lots of religious texts all claiming to be the ONE TRUE word of god. Big deal. the bible is simply one in a long line of BS books

July 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
  4. Julie

No human that has ever existed on this planet is the creator of the universe. Stop trying to convince others of this ridiculous nonsense.

July 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Yes Julie, that would be like the "serpent that lives in the river that says he made the river" drowned shortly after the Jews are taken to Babylon. Jesus Christ is the Word, a translation of the Greek Logos: Spell of Creation. So you are correct that Christ is not the creator, but was the reason for creation itself. In the beginning the Word was with God ...

July 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
      • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Sorry, John, but I have to break it to you: Jesus is not the word.
        BIRD is the WORD!

July 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
        • John P. Tarver

Walking in a Winter Wonder Land radio edit.

July 21, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
  5. jen

Thank you so much for this article!!!

July 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
  6. Gary

Religion is the foundation of all lies. The acceptance of some supreme being without evidence is the conditioning that leads people to believe anything. How many have been murdered in the name of one god or another? The bible itself has been used to justify murder, slavery, discrimination and genocide. By believing in Jesus or any other fairy tale you submit yourself to the lie. You bow down to a myth you rely on someone else's fantasy for your salvation.

July 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Faith and hope and love are some good delusions.

July 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
      • G to the T

So you can see why from an evolutionary standpoint the delusions exist and persist – they can help. Doesn't mean they're any realer than the faces you see when you watch the clouds.

July 26, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  7. Julie

Just another psychotic, who thinks he has the answers based on imaginary and ancient myths.

July 21, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
  8. KLN

Jesus made a claim that he was the Son of God. We cannot simply be a follower of Him without acknowledging that he also came to sacrifice Himself as our Savior.That is the entire message of the Bible. He came to die for our sins.

July 21, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
    • Julie

You have never seen or spoken to Jesus so how would you know? Do you think everyone is as gullible as you?

July 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
      • lionlylamb2013

Julie oh Julia...

Have you never read God's words...? "In the Beginning there was the Word and the Word was God and the Words were with God and of God and about God and God's Sons."

July 21, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
        • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Oh, Liony Liony – those aren't god's words. Those are simply the words of a human, claiming that they are the words of god. Silly rabbit!

July 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

It's all in the words jungle giant... (change your underwear for I think you just sprung a leak)

July 21, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
        • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

They are simply the words of people. Some good advice; sure. But not divine. Sorry, Liony.

July 21, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
      • Mark

Julie your time is short.

July 21, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
        • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Mark, your dinkie is shorter

July 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
        • Mark

You would know creeper!

July 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
        • Bill Deacon

ok, I laughed

July 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • believer

I firmly believe. And I REALLY don't care if anyone else does....that is their right and choice...

July 21, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
    • evolvedDNA

KLN.. why though ..what possible use would did it do? why did he have to die. It is simply the sacrifice that all death cults have..be it bull, goat, vir gin..just another blood sacrifice as was the norm then. I would have thought that a god of the universe could have devised a better way of teaching his "creations" a more peaceful path.

July 21, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
      • lionlylamb2013

Highly acclimated evolved DNA...

Was not Adam and Eve booted out of the Garden of Eden thru ill advisements which negated God's rules...? How much ill advisements does this world endorse upon their own others who are but children...? Where does any elder go to seek help whenever their child disobeys...? Today's pampering of the younglings go far beyond anyone's allowed concernments sakes... I am very grateful I did not bring into this world a child for as I see this world's demeanor, all future generations will pay a hefty price for their governances running their nation(s) thru the financial grinding stone...! Whose hands will be cut off for the villainous doings that cannot be undone...?

July 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
  9. lionlylamb2013

I believe in God of the Creations made celestially and the establishments of each and every evolved creations manifested upon the celestial domains... You need not believe...

I am satisfied beyond doubts that God's first begotten son was with God from Celestial Creations beginning moments to the ending ways of evolved creations manifestations upon any earthen world capable to bring forth life and sustain life in the abundances... You need not be satisfied...

I cherish the wisdom and professed teachings of Christ Jesus despite our Christian inadequacies to render decisively upon others doubts... You need not cherish Christ's wisdom...

July 21, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • snowboarder

you've posted this before. you believe jesus was god. belief has little to do with reality.

July 21, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
      • lionlylamb2013

good snowboarder...

I never once said Christ Jesus was God... He was the first born son of God before creation was...although Jesus was God's first born, they are of one mind not body...they are both in agreement with each other God and Jesus are...

July 21, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
        • snowboarder

that is just a crazy as any other religious supposition.

July 21, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
        • lionlylamb2013

sired snowboarder king...

Why say you in your tempered matters of the mind, soul and heavenly spirit...? God and all God's sons were all born out before Creation itself was made and managed into existence... Steadied was Creation made and steadier still were all celestial realisms towards the ever evolving lots of celestially framed life forms...

July 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
  10. Juanito

Its embracing Jesus as a good teacher, a moral dictation in a specific time period. Nothing more.

The problem is that in doing so, religating Jesus to this only means that this good, moral teacher was also the world's biggest liar as his claims to diety would be lies.

There are no contradictions in anything recorded about what Jesus said or claimed. The only way to the Father is through Jesus and He is the door.

As it only takes one lie to make anyone a liar, everything else Jesus claimed or taught would be negated.

As no one willfully would die for a lie, it's impossible to think of Jesus of anything less than the Son of God. Many of His direct followers also perished, which proved they all were incredibly insane but immensely talented to convince others to die for a lunatic, or they knew who He really was, and is.

Jesus is the Christ, the Provision for our salvation. Nothing less.

In His Love, Juanito.

July 21, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • snowboarder

assuming the claims of his deity were actually from him. there is little reason to actually believe that he claimed to be god.

July 21, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
    • Observer

Juanito,

"As no one willfully would die for a lie, it's impossible to think of Jesus of anything less than the Son of God"

So all the terrorists who blow themselves up for their religions are right.

You didn't think that out at all.

July 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
      • snowboarder

nothing new about that.

July 21, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
      • Juanito

@ Observer:

I said no one would willfully die for a lie, meaning knowing full well what they believe is a lie, and planning to die for that lie.

If Jesus was a fraud, then he knew he was a fraud, then he would have been a lunatic wanting suicide.

And His apostles would have been equally, if not more so, insane for going around the world spreading this lie, all the while being subject to persecution and death.

You could agree with that much.

Could someone that insane tell people to love one another like you love yourself? Would they say to offer the other cheek if someone strikes you?

The only testament we've seen from truly insane people are those that speak of death, murder, destruction. The hilters, stalins, mansons, husseins, pol pots in this world would never tell you to love your enemies.

And unlike the terrorists, Jesus and His apostles died, not killed, spreading the Good News. Big difference.

Think outside the reality that you've painted doe yourself. Jesus' message was truly revolutionary and still resounds today as at did 2000 years ago.

In His Love, Juanito.

July 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

No Words, just the one Logos.

July 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

Juanito,
      " Many of His direct followers also perished,"

The fates and even the ident'ities of most of the "Apostles" and disciples are quite unknown. Legends about them abound, however... often with conflicting 'facts'.

July 21, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
  11. cobe

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

July 21, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • snowboarder

unfortunately, that leaves us with little choice than lunatic.

July 21, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
      • cobe

snowborder, is this your final answer?

July 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
        • snowboarder

if you were cornered on the street by someone claiming to be the son of god, what would you think? how is this different?

July 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
        • cobe

if I was literarly "cornered" by such a man in todays world especially talking aboud love I probably would be a little disturbed , but if I saw him performing miracles, healing the sick, reading minds, calming storms, shutting up wisest men with his answers, fullfilling the prophecies etc, then it would be me who needs to have his head checked for not beliving Him

July 21, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
      • lol??

fundie of a different stripe............

bbbbwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

July 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

False dichotomy, cobe. There are other possibilities other than the two set up by Lewis. for example, Jesus was a guy who never said those things; other said those things about him. So Jesus (if he existed) was neither son of god nor a lunatic.
      You're welcome.

July 21, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
      • cobe

and what proof do you have for that other than your own belief, or better yet, personal hope that the story might be false?
        it is only your word against the testimonies of millions of people stating otherwise ?
        then perhaps we should discard all historical events because there is a possibility that somebody might have just made them up?
        No one from our generation saw Napoleon or was present during the battle of Gettysburg?

July 21, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
  12. snowboarder

this is a sentiment that I can get behind. lose the supernatural mumbo jumbo and embrace a reasonable philosophy.

July 21, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
    • lol??

philosophy,
      Noun
      "The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge,................................"

A fundie of a different nature!!

July 21, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
  13. Annat

A beautiful, well-written article. My sentiments exactly.

July 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  14. One one

It's interesting how in Christianity, the New Testament message came along with the concept of hell and eternal horrific torture. And this unbelievably brutal punishment is imposed by what believers say is a "loving" god for the offense of simply having the wrong belief.

Yet, in order to cash in on the false promise of eternal life after death , believers are willing to worship this "god" who they believe delivers such brutality on so many people.

July 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • snowboarder

nobody said religion made sense.

July 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • Edweird69

July 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • Edweird69

Yep...they worship something that would be despised if a human had done the supposed deeds the Christian god has committed...

July 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
  15. jason

The Lord Rebuke Thee.

July 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
    • snowboarder

you can probably leave that up the lord. I doubt he need your assistance.

July 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • Doobs

May the force be with you.

July 21, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
  16. Friendster

You are a muslim critic of Christianity. You believe you have found the one true faith in Islam, and you disguise your attack on the foundations of Christian faith as an academic and historical exercise. Certainly, you would regard a purely rational, objective, evaluation of Islam, without any notion of faith, as blasphemous. All faith is irrational, to a degree, and to weigh the tenets of one religion using only historical or academic criteria misses the point. Believe what you want to believe, and save your energy for your own faith, where it belongs.

July 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
    • snowboarder

historical and academic criteria is all that is germane.

July 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
    • Jess

You don't believe anyone can convert? When the original Christians converted from Judaism? I see. Who know the Christianity elitism existed?
      You, sir, are a religious bigot. Congratulations.

July 21, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • Lilyq

Amen

July 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
  17. Lilyq

Blasphemy!

July 21, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • Bippy the new lesser to medium level judging squirrel god

Stone her.

July 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
      • Doobs

We'll have, uh, two with points and... a big flat one.

July 21, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
        • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Are there any women here?

July 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
    • snowboarder

blasphemy is a truly victimless crime.

July 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  18. IpseCogita

This shows the cool thing about Jesus. Views from a distance of 2000 years you can make him whatever you want and claim you are right. That's an advantage Christianity has over some other religions: Buddha, Mohammed, and others are far less malleable than Jesus.

July 21, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • snowboarder

advantage?

July 21, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
  19. MagicPanties

There are many others that share the same "facts" as Jesus, and they predate the bible stories.

Horus, for example, born of virgin, walked on water, made blind man see, was crucified, resurrected 3 days later.
    Ancient Egyptians celebrated birth of Horus with a baby in a manger during the winter solstice.
    Familiar?
    There is much more. Educate yourselves.

July 21, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Christian

ancient Egypt? were not you a slave there? Just because some of just are believers doesn't mean we are not educated. Horus is a false god.

July 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
      • Answer

"Horus is a false god."

And the other line the freaks want to say ... "But my god is real."

July 21, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
        • christian

never argue with satan.

July 21, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
        • freaks

where? the freaks at?

July 21, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
      • Dear MagicP

So many claims about Horus, Mithra, etc. Yet, I've never had anyone give PRIMARY source information for that. I'm not talking about some 1970's book or later.I'm talking about the actual archaeological find, the manuscript from X years ago that clearly demonstrates this point to be true. I've asked atheist after atheist, yet, not one has been able to provide the evidence. So there ti is, meatat gmail com with your REAL evidence.

Atheist pride themselves in empirical evidence. Well, now it's time to provide it. Otherwise, you will have to throw this idea out the door. Evidence please. Real, solid, historical evidence-you DO have it, don't you? FYI: infidels org won't help either, nor will Dawkins or Harris.

meatat gmail com

July 21, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
        • Greg

And I've never seen one book that confirms the existence of Jesus other than the Bible, so hence, the questions.

July 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
      • Jess

"Horus was a false god" that predates Jesus. Are you that disingenuous? You can't see the similarities? Or are you one of those that is going to say that was Satan trying to deceive by inventing a religion thousands of years before with eerily similar details to the "true" God?

July 21, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
        • John P. Tarver

Many of these are derivations of Nimrod's becoming god of Persia in Numbers. The wine god who was resurrected, as a little boy, found in a well. It is also the 8th Imam that he will be a boy found in a well.

July 21, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
      • cave man

The point is there is no more proof that the story you choose to believe is any more true than the others from history. There is just one you choose to belive and one you don't.

July 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
      • In Santa we trust

How did you determine that your god is the real one? Don't you see that all religions make that claim and none have any evidence.

July 22, 2013 at 10:53 am |
    • Bippy the new lesser to medium level judging squirrel god

Not a "false god" Just "another god". Of course EVERYONE would say "my god is the real god'. How many millions of humans have said that, and assumed THEY were the exception ?

Simon of Perea : Announced by Gabriel, messiah, martyred, died, rose in 3 days.

Ho hum.
      Tell Jebus to get in line.

"Dying and rising gods were a dime a dozen"
      - Dr. Carole R. Fontaine, John Taylor Professor of Theology and History at the Andover Newton Theological School

July 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • lol??

You already posted the exact same comment. Horus looks like a bird bwain. How many men look like him?? How could he possibly pay a man's debt??

July 21, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
      • Bippy the new lesser to medium level judging squirrel god

Nope. No "debts".
        A system of "debts" by which a god is bound, refutes the god's power and creator-ship of Reality.

July 21, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
        • lol??

I'm not following your logic.

July 21, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • Alex Blumin

"The Jewish peasant and revolutionary who challenged the rule of the most powerful empire the world had ever known became so much more real to me than the detached, unearthly being I had been introduced to in church."
      Bravo! You are Honest and Wise Man! I salute you!

July 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  20. tony

The religion unreality show continues. . . ..

July 21, 2013 at 7:33 pm |