home
RSS
July 27th, 2013

Why millennials are leaving the church

Opinion by Rachel Held Evans, Special to CNN

(CNN) - At 32, I barely qualify as a millennial.

I wrote my first essay with a pen and paper, but by the time I graduated from college, I owned a cell phone and used Google as a verb.

I still remember the home phone numbers of my old high school friends, but don’t ask me to recite my husband’s without checking my contacts first.

I own mix tapes that include selections from Nirvana and Pearl Jam, but I’ve never planned a trip without Travelocity.

Despite having one foot in Generation X, I tend to identify most strongly with the attitudes and the ethos of the millennial generation, and because of this, I’m often asked to speak to my fellow evangelical leaders about why millennials are leaving the church.

Armed with the latest surveys, along with personal testimonies from friends and readers, I explain how young adults perceive evangelical Christianity to be too political, too exclusive, old-fashioned, unconcerned with social justice and hostile to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

I point to research that shows young evangelicals often feel they have to choose between their intellectual integrity and their faith, between science and Christianity, between compassion and holiness.

I talk about how the evangelical obsession with sex can make Christian living seem like little more than sticking to a list of rules, and how millennials long for faith communities in which they are safe asking tough questions and wrestling with doubt.

Invariably, after I’ve finished my presentation and opened the floor to questions, a pastor raises his hand and says, “So what you’re saying is we need hipper worship bands. …”

And I proceed to bang my head against the podium.

Time and again, the assumption among Christian leaders, and evangelical leaders in particular, is that the key to drawing twenty-somethings back to church is simply to make a few style updates - edgier music, more casual services, a coffee shop in the fellowship hall, a pastor who wears skinny jeans, an updated Web site that includes online giving.

But here’s the thing: Having been advertised to our whole lives, we millennials have highly sensitive BS meters, and we’re not easily impressed with consumerism or performances.

In fact, I would argue that church-as-performance is just one more thing driving us away from the church, and evangelicalism in particular.

Many of us, myself included, are finding ourselves increasingly drawn to high church traditions - Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, the Episcopal Church, etc. - precisely because the ancient forms of liturgy seem so unpretentious, so unconcerned with being “cool,” and we find that refreshingly authentic.

What millennials really want from the church is not a change in style but a change in substance.

We want an end to the culture wars. We want a truce between science and faith. We want to be known for what we stand for, not what we are against.

We want to ask questions that don’t have predetermined answers.

We want churches that emphasize an allegiance to the kingdom of God over an allegiance to a single political party or a single nation.

We want our LGBT friends to feel truly welcome in our faith communities.

We want to be challenged to live lives of holiness, not only when it comes to sex, but also when it comes to living simply, caring for the poor and oppressed, pursuing reconciliation, engaging in creation care and becoming peacemakers.

You can’t hand us a latte and then go about business as usual and expect us to stick around. We’re not leaving the church because we don’t find the cool factor there; we’re leaving the church because we don’t find Jesus there.

Now these trends are obviously true not only for millennials but also for many folks from other generations. Whenever I write about this topic, I hear from forty-somethings and grandmothers, Generation Xers and retirees, who send me messages in all caps that read “ME TOO!” So I don’t want to portray the divide as wider than it is.

But I would encourage church leaders eager to win millennials back to sit down and really talk with them about what they’re looking for and what they would like to contribute to a faith community.

Their answers might surprise you.

Rachel Held Evans is the author of "Evolving in Monkey Town" and "A Year of Biblical Womanhood." She blogs at rachelheldevans.com. The views expressed in this column belong to Rachel Held Evans.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • evangelicals • Opinion

soundoff (9,864 Responses)
  1. curious

Reading all this heated debate about whether God exists makes me wonder. Why would people waste their time debating about something that doesn't exist and therefore not matter? Or does it? What if a God does exist and that is why people are desperately trying to prove his existence or his non-existence... I don't see as many heated debates about the existence of UFOs for example.

July 31, 2013 at 5:38 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

This is a Belief Blog. You won't find much discussion of Jesus over in the UFO forums...
      There are fewer people who believe in E.T.s than there are gods and UFO conspiracy theorists don't generally get voted into political offices based on their UFOly beliefs, nor are they trying to enact laws based on the exitence of aliens.
      There aren't any terrorist squads with members willing to blow themselves up to take down a room full of UFO deniers.
      Never heard of a lobby group trying to preserve the sacti/ty the human race by outlawing intergalactic marriage.
      They don't harangue non-believers with threats of eternal an/al probing.
      Need I go on?

July 31, 2013 at 8:04 am |
      • skytag

"You won't find much discussion of Jesus over in the UFO forums..."

Too bad. Sounds like it would be a good fit. 😉

July 31, 2013 at 9:26 am |
    • skytag

Expect that to change when people who believe in UFOs become as numerous in this country as people who believe in God.

July 31, 2013 at 9:25 am |
  2. Andrew Scott

Hang on just a second... "Like every generation before ours and every generation after, deep down, we long for Jesus." Is there an editor in the building? Author of blog post, did you really read over this blog post more than once? NewsFlash, there were thousands of generations before Jesus was ever born, who didn't "long for Jesus." The Hebrews may have longed for a messiah, but most of them did, and still do, reject Jesus as that Messiah. You think all the human beings out there functioning just fine in their own context, are "longing for Jesus?" The Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, Taoists, Dudeists, and the rest? Please. Maybe the Millennials who are leaving the church, yourself included, are really longing for something other than Jesus, other than a God who is so flawed that he had to have his own son crucified to grant forgiveness to his human children, and atone for the punishment he himself imposed? Read the Bible, it's a horror story. Keep walking away from Churches until you find one that keeps you pointed in a different direction, one far away from the guilt, fear, and lies, that the biblical story perpetuates, that tells you that one of these days, Jesus is coming back, and with him the Apocalypse, fire, and brimstone, and judgement, the dead rising again, like the zombie narratives so popular among us Christian influenced Millenials. The Truth shall set you free, and most of these out of date religions will keep you in bondage. Run!

July 31, 2013 at 4:25 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

It's an old Christian trope – the Kierkergaardian conceit that without Jesus, you're miserable.
      Oh sure you might feel happy. You may wake up each day with a spring in your step and a smile on your face, but deep down inside you're actually miserable becuase you haven't accepted Christ as your personal saviour.

July 31, 2013 at 8:09 am |
      • IHAVESEENT THELIGHT

You atheist just don't get it...it is not about trying to get God to make us happy or feel better or do things for us...childish. It is recognizing that He is God and we are not. He is THE authority and we are not. Happiness is moment to moment emotion. We are called to follow Christ. Here is what he did: Left heaven, came to earth as a member of a poor family in a poor neighborhood and then he worked for some years a s carpenter. After that he spent three years traveling around his region and talking to the marginalized people and telling them they mattered. He yell at church folk and said they had it wrong. Then, because he was ruining business in the church and causing people to question the authority of the church and the government, they killed Him. He let it happen. It is not glamorous and it isn't a carnival that makes you feel better. It is the understanding that relationship is essntial, first with God, then with others.
        Now mock away....

July 31, 2013 at 8:26 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

I wasn't mocking – I was mentioning the musings of a particular, 19th century Christian theologan.
          Kierkegaard was extremely antagonistic to religious inst/itutions and harped endlessly about the need for every individual to have a personal relationship with God. He said that when God took human form, it was a manifestation of His desire for intimate, one on one time with His creations.
          He opined that Christians must put far less stock in relationships with other human beings and instead concentrate on developing their connection to God.
          "Every human being is gloriously structured, but what destroys so many is this confounded talkativeness between man and man about what must be suffered but also be matured in silence, the confession before human beings instead of before God, this candid communication to this one and that one of what ought to be a secret and be before God in secret, this impatient hankering for makeshift consolation."

He was also quite vocal that you can't be a happy or fulfilled individual unless you make your relationship with Christ the first priority in your life – above and beyond any earthly bonds you might have (or wish to have).

July 31, 2013 at 8:45 am |
        • skytag

Your obnoxious behavior makes it clear you don't "get" Christianity. Increasingly it seems you see Christianity as a way to justify believing you're superior to everyone who doesn't share your views.

You're one of the most hypocritical Christians I've ever encountered. You're extremely prideful but lecture us about the important of humility. Your comments are littered with intellectually dishonest logical fallacies, baseless character smears, insults, snide remarks, condescension and attempts to absolve yourself of any responsibility for your bad behavior, the worst of any Christian posting here, by the way, with hearty rounds of "You do it too!"

You mock, ridicule, and misrepresent what atheists believe because we call you out on your behavior and pathetic attempts to use logic. You're obviously a bully, someone who gets away with bad behavior in real life because no one wants to deal with the repercussions of confronting you about it, but this is the Internet, and here your bully tactics have no power.

There are many, many fine, sincere Christians out there. You are not one of them. You are a fraud who makes the good ones look bad.

July 31, 2013 at 9:42 am |
        • IHAVESEENT THELIGHT

Thank you Skytag! I appreciatte the fact that you are hurt and feel the need to call me out as being a bad Christian. You are the same. You are a bully. You go around and label all Christians drones, brainwashed and ignorant, and when someone calls you out. You whine and say we are mean. I am not going to sit back and be called ignorant. You once again prove you are shallow by making character statements about some one you have never met...Why are you aloud to go around an insult people? I asked you some direct questions and you have ignored them? Why? Are you afraid to answer them? Instead your responses to me are defensive and childish. Please respond to the question I posed or stop responding to my post.

July 31, 2013 at 9:50 am |
        • CatLover

I'm sensing some discord here ...

July 31, 2013 at 10:02 am |
        • IHAVESEENT THELIGHT

Yes Catlover, Skytag is scolding me for acting like him/her...And by the way the mocking comment was in anticipation of Skytag. He or she is very predictable. I am not sure why he/she thinks I am a bully, outside of the fact that this is what i called him/her? I meant no harm...I am sorry I hurt their feelings. NO this is not snide Skytag!

July 31, 2013 at 10:08 am |
        • skytag

@IHAVESEENT THELIGHT: "Thank you Skytag! I appreciatte the fact that you are hurt"

You just can't help yourself, can you? In just eight words you manage to commit two serious transgressions for a Christian.

First, there is no truth to your suggestion that I am hurt and you know it unless you are truly delusional. Otherwise you know full well at as someone for whom I have no respect whatsoever you lack any power to hurt me. You hurt other Christians by casting them in a bad light, but not me or any atheist. Bearing false witness is a sin.

Second, I can't imagine much that's more un-Christian than being gratified at the thought of hurting someone else. You are truly the most pathetic excuse for a Christian I may have ever encountered. You are so far from the ideals of what a Christian should be you actually take pride in your behavior.

The rest of your comment was just more of your BS personal attack stuff, not worthy of a response. Save your fingers and tell it to Jesus, assuming he can stand to be around you.

July 31, 2013 at 10:12 am |
      • skytag

@IHAVESEENT THELIGHT: "Yes Catlover, Skytag is scolding me for acting like him/her..."

This is a lie, and a thinly veiled attempt to blame me for your bad behavior. You try to lecture people about humility but a humble person would acknowledge when he has not lived up to his own standards and apologize, but you're far to prideful to do that. Instead you make excuses for your behavior and try to blame it on others, which makes it clear even you recognize that your behavior is unbecoming a Christian, and yet you don't change it.

"And by the way the mocking comment was in anticipation of Skytag."

Bad behavior is bad behavior. The idea that you can justify it "in anticipation" of someone else's behavior is even more pathetic that trying to justify it based on someone's past behavior.

"I am not sure why he/she thinks I am a bully, outside of the fact that this is what i called him/her?"

Bullies always tell themselves their behavior is justified.

"I meant no harm...I am sorry I hurt their feelings. NO this is not snide Skytag!"

Not snide, but also not sincere. If you cared about people's feelings you wouldn't act the way you do. No one here is naive enough to believe you just started behaving this way when you came to this forum a few days ago. The obnoxious personality we see in your comments is who you are and have been for a long time. I don't doubt for a second that you've hurt many a person's feelings along the way with your enthusiasm for insulting and belittling people in the hope they won't risk further bad behavior by standing up to you.

There's no way you've gone through life acting like this and not realized you were hurting people. You just don't care, as long as those tactics get you the power you want over people.

July 31, 2013 at 10:24 am |
  3. TWB1621

A response to Rachel Held Evans article above has been offered at http://seekingdivinemercy.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-response-to-rachel-held-evans-cnn.html

July 31, 2013 at 12:34 am |
  4. skytag

The authors of Christianity were very clever when they designed their God. He is invisible, incomprehensible, not bound by the laws of time, matter or energy, powerful enough to create a universe of a trillion trillion stars out of nothing, is always aware of what seven billion people are doing, and so on.

The beauty of this God is that when a Christian makes a claim about him it's impossible to test. You have to accept it solely on feeling or reject it, but it's impossible to objectively test anything anyone tells you about him because whatever test you try to apply, there is some reason it won't be valid when you try to apply it to God. You either believe in him based on blind faith or you don't. But as an atheist, what's my incentive to adopt blind faith in something I have no reason to believe exists?

July 30, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • Athy

There is no incentive other than selling more insurance to your neighbors.

July 30, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Friend

Skytag, I am always intrigued by a professed atheist's statements that God does not exist. For example, you said, "Question 2: Since there is no evidence of his existence..." I believe there is plenty of evidence that God DOES exist. I appreciate the fact that I believe you are honestly seeking a real answer. So start with this and I would be curious to your response.

The Bible says that God is that "someone" who has always existed. If I were truly questioning His existence, that would make me keep searching. I hope it does you.

Next, I would ask, if we agree on that, is that God a God of intelligent design? Again, you said, "Since there is no evidence of his existence..." How does an acorn turn into a towering oak tree? How does a baby form in the womb of another person? How do organs function in harmony through a human body? How is our earth the perfect distance from the sun?

These are honest questions that I believe lead to an intelligent designer and creator. By the way, He is the God of the Bible, who gives us everything we need to know. He does not expect blind faith. He is a God of reason and logic. When you understand who He is and what He is doing and why He created, things make sense. You find these answers in the Bible.

July 30, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
      • skytag

"I believe there is plenty of evidence that God DOES exist."

What you call evidence is just you choosing to interpret ordinary events, phenomenon, or coincidences as evidence. It's well known that people believe what they want to believe, and if you're looking for proof of something you want to believe badly enough you'll almost certainly find something you can convince yourself is that proof.

Here's why I never buy these claims for having evidence. First, it is never anything anyone else can objectively confirm. Second, there are countless conflicting beliefs held by people who are convinced they have evidence for what they believe. I seriously doubt you can find a religion without followers who believe they have evidence that what they believe is true too.

Have you known many Mormons? I've never met anyone more sure of his beliefs than a good Mormon. They'll tell you "I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know God the Father and his son Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith." And then go talk to any other Christian and he'll tell you he knows Mormonism is a false religion.

What are the chances that none of the world's 1,500 million Muslims believe they have evidence that what they believe is true? Ditto for the world's one billion Hindus. You'd have to be very naive or very arrogant to believe that all the people who believe they have evidence believe what you believe.

July 31, 2013 at 4:49 am |
      • skytag

"How can something come from nothing? If there were ever nothing, there would still be nothing. Conclusion: Someone or something has always existed. I think I read in the blog someone said that already, but I am trying to use logic to come to that conclusion. Can we agree on this? Something can't come from nothing?"

We have theories about how the universe began, but we cannot say for sure it came from nothing. Your argument here in a nutshell is that if we have no other explanation for something the explanation must be God. It's not a valid argument.

"The Bible says that God is that "someone" who has always existed. If I were truly questioning His existence"

I'm not questioning his existence any more than I'm questioning the existence of leprechauns. I see no reason to believe either exists.

"that would make me keep searching. I hope it does you."

I have no reason to care what the Bible says because circular reasoning isn't valid reasoning. You can't use the Bible to prove god exists because you have to believe God exists and facilitated the creation of the Bible to believe the Bible has any credibility.

This is apparently your position:

God existed for an eternity extending into the past, alone, in total nothingness, and suddenly, after spending an eternity this way suddenly created — from nothing — a universe that would eventually contain a trillion trillion stars. Then he focused all his attention on terraforming one planet around one of those stars, created life on it. He then, according to the Bible, did many things that gave people proof of his existence until one day he just stopped doing that, and now we're all just supposed to believe he exists and cares deeply about whether we're married when we have sex.

This is not a particularly plausible story for me, and it doesn't even support your own argument. You believe something can't come from nothing, but you believe God created the universe from nothing. The addition of a god to the mix doesn't explain how the universe could be created from nothing. So now you have two things you can't explain, how God could exist, and how could he create the universe from nothing.

July 31, 2013 at 5:00 am |
      • skytag

"These are honest questions that I believe lead to an intelligent designer and creator. By the way, He is the God of the Bible"

Based on what evidence?

"who gives us everything we need to know."

"If I don't know it I don't need to know it." How convenient.

"He does not expect blind faith."

Of course he does. As I explained, his nature as characterized by Christians makes it impossible to subject any claim about him to any kind of objective test. You either believe he exists on blind faith or you don't.

"He is a God of reason and logic."

Nonsense. Logic tells me that if God really existed then all of the world's religions would have some important elements in common. There is nothing all of them have in common. They can't even agree on whether there is one god or many gods.

If god is the God of the Bible, what logic explains why less than a third of the world's population is Christian?

"When you understand who He is and what He is doing and why He created, things make sense. You find these answers in the Bible."

Once you've allowed yourself to be brainwashed to believe the Christian narrative (as opposed to the Muslim or Hindu or some other narrative) then it all makes sense because you're inside the matrix. Every religion is a narrative people choose to believe because they like that narrative better than the alternatives. But all of the narratives are internally consistent. Once you make the required leap of faith into one all of its explanations make sense.

You're a Christian because your parents were Christians, you live in a predominantly Christian culture, or some such thing. Had you been born in Saudi Arabia, where 97% of the people are Muslims you'd be telling me you have evidence that Islam is true and it would all make sense to you just like it does to them. Is it arrogance or just naivete that has you believing your beliefs are the only ones that make sense?

July 31, 2013 at 6:56 am |
    • TWB1621

Your incentive if you wish to call it that is this: if you leave this life and are correct in your disbelief you will have lost nothing. If you are wrong and never bothered to sincerely give it the time and effort to discover what the truth is, you will have lost everything and have an awareness of that eternally. And consider how many discoveries have been made based on faith. Also note that many an atheist scholar have pursued proving various content in scripture was false or myth of events or places that did not exist only to discover evidence to their contrary.

July 31, 2013 at 12:29 am |
      • skytag

"Your incentive if you wish to call it that is this: if you leave this life and are correct in your disbelief you will have lost nothing. If you are wrong and never bothered to sincerely give it the time and effort to discover what the truth is, you will have lost everything and have an awareness of that eternally."

It is irrational to suggest one should invest untold amounts of time and energy seeking something based on promises with no supporting evidence whatsoever simply because a lot of people believe it. If this were about anything else you'd laugh at the very suggestion.

A major flaw in this argument is assumption that there is only one such glorious promise to investigate, and that's the promise made by Christianity. What happens if in spending my life trying to determine if what you claim is true I fail to discover that the true path to God is Islam or Buddhism or the beliefs of some tribe in the remote regions of the Amazon jungle?

There is nothing objective one can use to know which of all the world's religions one should use to find the truth about God. This is why the "truth" people find is almost always determined by where they live, what their parents believed, and so on.

Less than a third of the world's population is Christian. 1.5 billon are Muslims. Another billion are Hindus. Hundreds of millions more subscribe to one of hundreds of belief systems based on one or more gods, and the vast majority of them believe they have found the truth simply by adopting the beliefs of their parents or the most popular beliefs in their culture.

This is why 97% of Saudis are Muslim, why there are lots Baptists in the South but lots of Mormons in Utah and Idaho, and so on. People don't seek god based on any rational reason to believe they will find the truth, they seek the god of their parents and neighbors and then convince themselves they've found the truth.

The reason for this is obvious, of course. Lacking any objective evidence to guide them in their search they are left to rely on what others who claim to have found the truth about God tell them. If the people you know and respect are Christians that will be the Christian narrative. But if you're in Saudi Arabia it's going to be the narrative of Islam. If you live in India it's most likely going to be Hinduism.

"And consider how many discoveries have been made based on faith."

Such as?

"Also note that many an atheist scholar have pursued proving various content in scripture was false or myth of events or places that did not exist only to discover evidence to their contrary."

Many a Christian has abandoned his beliefs to become an atheist too. I'm one of them. Even atheists can let their emotions overrule reason or be taken in by well crafted propaganda. We are not sociopaths lacking any capacity for emotion or robots that always make rational choices. We simply see no reason to believe anything one could reasonably call a god exists.

July 31, 2013 at 8:38 am |
    • Orual

The God of Christianity is not different from any others. Details are simply hosh-posh in the afterlife I would think. Many paths, one destination, have you. I didn't believe in God for a long while. I couldn't. There were constantly so many questions in my head. that never ended. So many "why's". So many curses. So much hate and fear towards God. Eventually, I gave up understanding (at the lowest point of my life), and, ironically enough, by understanding that I will never understand (in this lifetime), I finally felt peaceful. I accepted that I can't explain some things. and will never be able to.
      It's not a matter of "why" you should believe in God. or even how. But I'm glad you feel the need for questions to be answered. That means you're still looking and probably hope that there is some existence of God. I hope you come to see things differently one day. It helps.

July 31, 2013 at 1:57 am |
      • skytag

"You speak of God as if he should be ashamed that he doesn't have the limitations that humans have."

Christians believe God can change men's hearts. If Christians have it right, if there is anything for which their God should feel shame is failing to use that power to change the hearts of Hitler and Stalin.

July 31, 2013 at 8:40 am |
        • IHAVESEENT THELIGHT

There by eliminating free will...nice try. Can we at least agree Skytag that love is illogical and irrational? In terms of Darwinism, does love or compassion make any sense? Wouldn't we all be better off financially and environmentally if we truly followed the logical tennants of "survival of the fittest? If the stronger wiped out the weak, we would have less population density problems, starvation would literally be wiped out. The intelligent one's, like yourself, would be free of the disabled and weak minded, like me, and the world would be free from ignorance. I think all this is logical and in terms of Darwinism, rational. Correct?

July 31, 2013 at 8:50 am |
        • skytag

@IHAVESEENT THELIGHT: "There by eliminating free will...nice try."

Ah yes, a favorite copout. Christians love to use this one when explaining God's failure to change Hitler's heart while millions of those same Christians pray to that same God asking him to soften the heart of someone they know who is angry, change the heart of a child who has rebelled against his parents, left the church and so on. Funny how they use that free will thing so selectively.

If you'd ever actually read the Bible you'd know the story of Saul's conversion on the road to Damascus:

"As Saul travels to Damascus at midday, he experiences the divine presence: a light from heaven flashing around him and a voice addressing him (compare 7:31/Ex 3:4-10). The descent from Mt. Hermon to Damascus in the plain goes through a region known for violent electrical storms. Though this flashing light may have had the effects of lightning, however, it was a supernatural midday phenomenon.

Saul and his traveling companions see the light, but Saul sees more: the risen Lord Jesus in all his resplendent glory (9:17, 27; 22:14; 26:16; 1 Cor 9:1; 15:8). So overwhelming is the sight that Saul falls to the ground (compare Ezek 1:28; Dan 8:17). The sound or voice probably reminds him of the bat-qol ("daughter of the voice"), the way pious Jews believed God had directly communicated with human beings since the gift of prophecy had ceased with Malachi (Longenecker 1981:370). But the divine presence creates confusion for Saul, for if God is speaking with him, who is this heavenly figure addressing him?

The voice gives the divine perspective on Paul's activity. With a repeated address (compare Gen 22:11; Ex 3:4; 1 Sam 3:10; Lk 10:41; 22:31) the voice asks, Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" — Gateway

God didn't seem to have an issue changing Saul's heart when he was vigorously persecuting Christians, and he wasn't killing six million of them in gas chambers and ovens, but 70 years ago he couldn't change Hitler's heart because that would have taken away his free will. Yeah, that makes perfect sense, assuming you've mastered the ability to rationalize anything you want to believe.

"Can we at least agree Skytag that love is illogical and irrational?"

If you are referring to a belief in God, yes. If you are referring to the contradiction I described above, also yes.

July 31, 2013 at 10:02 am |
        • IHAVESEENT THELIGHT

July 31, 2013 at 10:46 am |
        • skytag

@IHAVESEENT THELIGHT: "Where in your story does it say God forced Paul? He asked Paul to stop persecuting his people...As for Stalin and Hitler, i cannot say he did or didn't appeal to them. I wasn't there."

Another one of your intellectually dishonest straw man arguments. I never said anything about God forcing Hitler or Stalin to do anything. I said he didn't change their hearts the way he changed Saul's. Why do you use so many straw man arguments?

According to the Bible you claim to believe (but not feel obliged to follow) God made his existence and displeasure with Saul very clear to him via what can only be described as miraculous events. Here's another account, one that's a little easier to read:

"According to Luke’s historical record (Acts 9:1ff), Saul, armed with arrest warrants for those of the Christian Way, departed from Jerusalem en route to ancient Damascus, some 140 miles to the north. As he drew near that city, a light brighter than the noonday sun suddenly engulfed him. A voice inquired: “Saul, Saul, why do you continue to persecute me?” The double use of his name suggests a reproof (cf. Matthew 23:37; Luke 10:41; 22:31). Saul responded: “Who are you, Lord?” The title “Lord” was employed at this point as a mere term of respect, for he knew not who had addressed him.

The voice was identified as Jesus of Nazareth! The stunned persecutor was instructed to enter Damascus where he would be informed as to what he “must do.” Blinded as a consequence of this miraculous vision in which Christ actually appeared to him (9:17; 1 Corinthians 15:8), Saul was led into the city.

For three agonizing days he fasted and prayed. Finally, Ananias, a messenger selected by God, arrived. He restored Saul’s sight and commanded him to “arise, and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name” (Acts 22:16). After certain days passed, the former persecutor began to proclaim among his fellow Jews that Jesus “is the Son of God” (see Acts 9:19-22)." — Christian Courier

It's a very inspiring story for Christians. Yet when Hitler was committing genocide of Jews on a scale to dwarfs anything Saul ever contemplated, there is no reason to believe your God did anything to change Hitler's heart. Ditto for Stalin when he was conducting his purges.

You can engage in all the baseless speculations you want to rationalize this, but out here in the real world there is nothing to suggest God did anything to influence anyone or any event in WWII. It was Russian and Allied troops armed with heavy weapons and air support that stopped the genocide, not your God. You want truth? That's truth.

July 31, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • pooua

This is the reason that Jesus said that no one could come to Him unless the Spirit inspires that work. People don't come to God of their own motivation, as if they desired to find what is good and holy. Rather, God acts on individuals, inspiring life in them.

July 31, 2013 at 2:52 am |
      • skytag

Why would the spirit inspire people in so many, and often contradictory ways? If all inclinations to believe in God were inspired by the same spirit why do people hold such wildly divergent views?

July 31, 2013 at 10:31 am |
    • Finding Christ in Christianity

It's hard to find true religion when you hear so many differing opinions and understandings of scripture. I can see why so many would leave religion. Why does it matter anyways.

I am not an atheist. I know there is a law of science that states that something living cannot come from something nonliving or that something cannot be made out of nothing. I also know that there is an innate intelligence within us and everything living thing, the intelligence within every cell on how to divide, create life, grow, heal and mend and die. Thus, I do believe in God. I am a true believer in a personal God. One that is real and tangible, not this mysterious wonder that cannot be explained. I also believe in Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God. I believe in a God that has a perfect understanding of science, perfectly obedient to those laws, perfectly just, perfectly merciful, perfect in His love for us. He knows all things and has created all that is around us for our use and happiness. I also understand that with only using a small part of our brains there is no way we can comprehend all the God comprehends. I do know that when we seek for truth we will find true happiness, not fleeting enjoyment. Truth is eternal and no matter what societies trends are or what philosophers of science or religion decide truth will always remain. Truth can be found outside of religion as well. I believe that is what Jesus was trying to teach when he would compare the Kingdom of Heaven to a mustard seed, a treasure hid in a field, a merchant man seeking goodly pearls or unto a net, cast into the sea. (Matthew 13) Truth is to be found everywhere.

True religion will draw you closer to Christ, will give you a deeper understanding of who Jesus Christ is, why we must become like Him and how. It will teach us the importance of His Atonement and that it is for everyone (not just a select few He chooses). True religion serves, loves and has compassion, loving the sinner – not the sin. Our society has forgotten the latter. Many believe now that you cannot truly love another without accepting what they do. This is not true. It's funny how we believe in physical laws like traffic signs to keep order or that certain schooling and passing grades to become a surgeon are required and yet we would like to think laws don't exist spiritually. Spiritual laws and commandments do exist. This was the purpose of Christ's Atonement. So we had opportunity to become at one with God through repentance. It's hard to repent if you don't know what His commandments are. This is the purpose of religion. This is why a religion would matter. Jesus himself organized a church. It would be wise to find a church that looks like the one He created and until then, look for true principles found all around you and they will lead you closer to God and happiness. C.S. Lewis is a good example of that.

Read King James Version of St. John chapters 13 – 21. Jesus teaches of who He is, who the Holy Spirit is and purpose. He teaches about love and true discipleship. Chapter 17 is His prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. Chapters 19-21 cover His crucifixion, burial, His resurrection and showing of himself to loved ones and Apostles. Enjoy.

July 31, 2013 at 2:57 am |
  5. TruthSeeker

Skytag,

Are you a 100% sure that you are not biased? Maybe the fact that you set out to demonstrated that God does not exist leads you to according more weight to arguments against God and less to those for His existence, so that at the end the cons outweigh the pros...

July 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • skytag

I'm relatively unbiased. I have no agenda. If there is no god then I'm not going to decide to believe there is just because a lot of people tell me he's real. I'm not a sheep. If there is a god and this can be demonstrated in some way I'll be happy to accept that knowledge. Truth is, it would be nice to know I didn't invest enormous amounts of time, energy, and a fair bit of money over a period of four decades on a delusion.

As best I can tell I'm just supposed to believe God exists because a lot of other people say he does, and that's not good enough for me. And I'm supposed to just believe God is the God of Christians, apparently because I live in a part of the world where Christianity is the dominate religion. That's not a convincing argument.

The nature of God, and in particular the Christen God, is such that people can claim anything they want about it and you're just supposed to accept it on blind faith. The idea that I'm just supposed to accept whatever someone tells me about God on blind faith doesn't really work for me.

July 30, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
      • ObjectivityofChristianity

You are biased and you have an agenda. It's ok. Just admit it. None of us are unbiased observers. You have decided to read the world from a perspective that does not include God as its Creator. Your starting point is your own experience of the world. This is sheer navel gazing, and does not take into account history, tradition, or the variety of the human experience, especially those recounted in the Bible.

You operate daily on the "blind faith" your empirical observations give you. This is simply normal. One cannot get around using the information our senses give us. In a similar way, one must deal with what the words of the Bible suggest. For some, the Holy Spirit works faith in Jesus and delivers salvation to them. For others, the hardness of sin in the heart overcomes the powerful witness of the Bible. Sin is a greater and deeper mystery than you have made it to be in your tight little worldview.

July 31, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
  6. skytag

I posted this earlier but got no responses. In light of some recently posted comments I'll try again.

"If you honestly want to know God:" — AE

I hear stuff like the above all the time from Christians. To any thinking person these admonitions raise some very obvious, crucial questions I've posed many times, yet no Christian has ever attempted to answer.

Let me preface these questions with a critical observation: There is no objective evidence whatsoever that any entity one could call a god actually exists. Absolutely none. (Christians: Don't waste your time explaining the reasons you believe there is no evidence as they won't change the fact that there is none. If you believe you have evidence, it doesn't count if no one else can see or verify it.) That established, here are the questions:

Question 1: Seeking God requires an investment of time and energy. Prayer, reading sacred works, reading other writings, talking to other believers, and so on. What's my incentive to divert time and energy from activities involving things I know to be real and enjoy to seek something I have no reason to believe is real? Seeking god makes no more sense to me than seeking buried treasure in my yard or seeking leprechauns.

If you respond with a bunch of platitudes, more admonitions to seek or instructions on how to seek you are dodging the question because none of these give me an incentive to do any seeking.

"You will find like I did that the more you seek, the more you find Him the more you realize He loves you and fall in love with Him also." — Whitney

This is the basic strategy people use to convince themselves of something they really want to belief from the outset. When you set out to investigate something with a desire to find it that bias makes it almost certain you'll eventually convince yourself you've found it. You'll be quick to interpret phenomena as evidence it's true and equally quick to reject evidence contradicting it. You'll reject sound arguments against it out of hand while accepting seriously flawed arguments for it. The "pros" column will eventually overwhelm the "cons" column and you'll conclude it must be true.

My answer to my first question is the no one seeks God unless and until at some level he wants to find God. His incentive to invest time and energy is to confirm something he already wants to believe. That makes him biased and that bias makes his conclusions unreliable. In short, people find ways to justify believing what they want to believe.

Question 2: Since there is no evidence of his existence, and hundreds or thousands of religions have existed, how do I decide which god (or gods) to seek? The evidence is pretty clear that the vast majority of people who "find God" find the God of their parents, culture and/or people they encounter in life. This is why 97% of Saudi Arabia's population is Muslim, but only 1-2% of our population is Muslim. It's why Shintoism is the dominate religion in Japan, but not America or Saudi Arabia. It's why some "Christian countries" are predominately Catholic and others aren't. It's why there are large numbers of Baptists in the South but large numbers of Mormons in Utah and Idaho. Where you live is the biggest factor in determining which god you seek and hence ultimately find.

People pick the god they'll seek based on the people around them and subjective factors such as how much they trust others who already believe in that god or how well someone can manipulate their emotions. There is no evidence whatsoever that people pick a god to seek based on any reason one would expect to lead them to the most correct understanding of God and his nature. Seriously, it's a crap shoot, a game of luck exclusively based where you were born and the people you've known.

The answer to "which god should I seek?" largely determines how I should seek him. Should I seek the Jewish god by reading the Torah and attending Jewish services, or the Muslim god by reading the Koran and praying five times a day? Should I read the Bible and Book of Mormon and talk to the Mormon missionaries to know the Mormon version of the Christian God? Should I study Buddhism, Shintoism, or any of hundreds of other religions that exist in the world today?

If I should seek the Christian God, should I seek him through Catholicism, evangelical churches, the Mormons, the Amish, or the teachings of a church that believes in handling snakes and speaking in tongues?

Do not try to dismiss these as glib or irrelevant questions. These are absolutely critical questions. The god you find is determined by where you choose to look for him. Generally speaking, whichever God you set out to find is the one you'll find. Without an objective, reliable way to know which path to travel from the outset in your search, why should anyone believe picking one essentially at random will lead you to the "real" god rather than a false one?

July 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Perhaps because it's too long?

July 30, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
      • drturi

UFO Legacy – President Obama's Future – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA-top4wEys – More about the incredible – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfZdP0t-oG0

July 30, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • Nancy

You seriously hit the nail in the head I can't believe everything you wrote is exactly I have thought about. You are not alone. I too have sought out different religions but have yet to arrive at anything that I can say yes, this is something I want to be part of my life.

You are also right about those joining a religion because they allow themselves to be manipulated. I fell in love for the first time in my life with a guy who turned out to be in a religious cult. I was crazy enough to conside joining it just for him. I figured, it would be like having 2 hours for me to really zone out and think about what I will do at work the next day and or imagine myself vacationing somewhere to avoid paying attention to that whole nonsense . I just couldn't do it, and for a while I hated myself for not finding a religion or just picking one, but as long as we know deep down we do good for those around us and strangers, we should be fine

I really truly enjoyed reading this.

July 30, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • wilsonb224

skytag, perhaps no one has answered or replied to your post because you have not entertained open ended questions. It does not appear you desire any kind of real discussion. By starting out with the statement there is no proof of the existence of a god type figure (my paraphrase), you show your unwillingness to entertain any differing viewpoint.

Also, answering your own "questions" which are more like statements, also exhibits a lack of willingness to openly approach the discussion, Why would anyone engage in a conversation with someone that appears to be unwilling to do so. This is why you have had no one reply. Believe me, it not because there are not logical flaws in your arguments, but rather your unwillingness to engage in open conversation.

July 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
      • skytag

What a load of malarkey. I asked very valid questions. I didn't ask for lame excuses to justify not answering them. I offered my thoughts on why I believe they are valid questions, in part because I didn't want to get a bunch of the kind canned responses people usually give that show they didn't even really understand the questions. I've asked the same thing in very short posts with your "open-ended" questions and gotten answers like "You should seek God because he is God."

If you don't have an answer, just don't reply. Don't attack me because not having answers makes you uncomfortable. You could have offered answers but instead you chose to whine about how I asked the questions. That tells me all I need to know.

July 31, 2013 at 3:43 am |
        • wilsonb224

skytag, its not worth my time arguing something that you have already ruled out. No, you have not asked questions. By the act of answering your "questions" in your post, you have transformed them from questions to a rhetorical strategy and statement to enable yourself to provide a space for your next set of statements, i.e. "your answers."

I'm not whining, I provided an analysis of why you do not get the replies you seek. I thought you would at least respect a thoughtful analysis, but instead you took it as an attack. That is usually the sign of someone with an agenda or someone goading the question. I will not walk down a path someone has a predetermined answer for, thus my reason given for not answering your "questions."

I just wish these forums provided more constructive places for conversation. Instead, I find them to be places where people an anonymously spew their close-minded opinion.

July 31, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
        • skytag

@wilsonb224: "skytag, its not worth my time arguing something that you have already ruled out."

I have not ruled anything out. I just find it highly unlikely one exists.

"No, you have not asked questions. By the act of answering your "questions" in your post, you have transformed them from questions to a rhetorical strategy and statement to enable yourself to provide a space for your next set of statements, i.e. "your answers." "

More excuses. I was only trying to explain why I believe my questions are valid and deserve something more substantive that canned responses and mindless platitudes. In my experience most Christians can't even grasp what I'm really asking if I just ask the questions without explanation.

If I do that I get responses like "you should seek God because he is God," or "because Jesus wants you to find him," which of course don't answer my question at all since I see no reason to believe God or Jesus exist.

Seriously, it's as if they're so anxious to repeat something they heard last week in Sunday School that they don't even take time to understand my questions. I'm sick of people telling me to seek something I see no reason to believe exists, and then when I ask what my incentive is to do that their answer, in a nutshell is, "you should seek to believe what I believe because I believe it."

"I will not walk down a path someone has a predetermined answer for, thus my reason given for not answering your "questions." "

I have my beliefs, and having come to those beliefs after many years of thought and experience I feel confident in them, but I am not closed-minded. I spent four decades as a Christian with strong beliefs, and were I a closed-mined person I'd still be a Christian.

"Just as I do not entertain debate with those that refuse critically reflect upon their own religious beliefs, I refuse to entertain debate with those that refuse to debate an open and constructive manner. By answering your own questions, you have showed your hand and how you operate in a debate. Sorry, its just not something I fall for."

More excuses. Believers have a real chicken-and-the-egg problem. To come to know the reality of God you have to devote time and effort to "coming to know him," but without any reason to believe he exists I see no incentive to invest that time and energy. As far as I can tell the only reason I should believe it's worth my time is that a lot of people tell me it is. And this may seem like a compelling reason on the surface, but since people can believe things and be wrong, and what they tell you they believe is largely dependent on where you live in the world and who you ask, it's not really a compelling reason at all.

So basically I'm asking, or you could arguably say I'm challenging Christians to give me a more objective reason. I don't think one exists, but if I see one that's compelling I will accept it as such. But in 58 years, 40 of which I spent as a Christian I've never heard one, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not hopeful.

July 31, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
      • IHAVESEENT THELIGHT

Wilson, Skytag found his god in his own head...don't waste your time responding. He is an example of the "open minded" crowd...except when it comes to religion. He actually believes that because he hasn't experienced something it doesn't exist. He also believes that if you believe, you haven't done any investigation. He thinks that all believers are zombies who sit in a church on Sunday or whatever and go "yes master" as we drool. Outside of feeling sorry for him and anyone who has to deal with him on a daily basis, he applies the same "logic" to all post.

July 31, 2013 at 7:59 am |
        • skytag

"Wilson, Skytag found his god in his own head...don't waste your time responding."

Apparently you believe as a good Christian Wilson needs someone to tell him what to think and do. Do you think Wilson is a little boy who needs your advice and protection, or is this just an excuse to attack me and libel me some more? Methinks it's the latter.

"He is an example of the "open minded" crowd...except when it comes to religion."

Your obsession with attacking me makes it clear you find my arguments threatening. If that were not the case you would respond to them and identify the flaws in my reasoning, but you never do that. Thus you resort to these personal attacks, often based on lies to discredit me.

"He actually believes that because he hasn't experienced something it doesn't exist."

This is a lie and something I've never even suggested. Resorting to lies to discredit your opponents is an act of desperation. Open your eyes and look around here. No one else who claims to be a Christian is acting anything like you. You are alone in pursuing these desperate lines of attack. Could it be that of all the believers posting here you are the least secure in your beliefs, and hence the most threatened by my arguments?

"He also believes that if you believe, you haven't done any investigation."

Another lie. zzzzzzzzz

"He thinks that all believers are zombies who sit in a church on Sunday or whatever and go "yes master" as we drool."

Another lie, though at least this one has a grain of truth to it. But just a grain.

"Outside of feeling sorry for him and anyone who has to deal with him on a daily basis, he applies the same "logic" to all post."

You lie a lot, so much so, and so freely and obviously I am forced to conclude you're pathologically dishonest. The truth doesn't matter to you, only the attack. If a lie is needed, so be it. It's all rather pathetic, and to other Christians who may read this I do not see you as a typical Christian. Most are much better Christians and people than you are, and I feel sorry for them having their image as Christians tarnished by your behavior.

July 31, 2013 at 11:22 am |
        • IHAVESEENT THELIGHT

Skytag, you demonstrate a complete lack of self awareness. But you are right about my behavior. In review, I have behaved like you and that is not good. I apologize for stooping to your level.

July 31, 2013 at 11:36 am |
        • skytag

@IHAVESEENT THELIGHT: "Skytag, you demonstrate a complete lack of self awareness."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"But you are right about my behavior."

I know.

"In review, I have behaved like you"

No, you've behaved like you. No one reading your comments here is gullible enough to believe you've never acted this way before you encountered me.

"and that is not good. I apologize for stooping to your level."

There is no apology in your comment, just more of your juvenile un-Christian insulting behavior. For all your protestations regarding the truth of Christianity you've made it quite clear you're wholly incapable of behaving in a manner consistent with what the Bible teaches. Keep it up. Seriously, people like you are some of the best evidence there is that Christianity is a fraud.

July 31, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • NGD

Hi! Being a Presbyterian Pastor I would like to respond to your first question of why it is important to take time to seek
      God. We are all born with a piece of God's Spirit in us which is called our "soul". At some point in life, we realize that
      our soul has a spiritual hunger to be connected with God. It is through being open to God's Holy Spirit working in us and
      showing us God and Christ's existence that we can take the first step towards faith. Yes, there is no proof of God or Christ's
      existence, however for those who are open to seeking a relationship of one's spirit or soul with them, they will touch your
      heart and speak to you in special ways. For instance, there are times in nature when I sense that God and Christ are giving
      me a special miracle – for instance when I saw a beautiful rainbow on the day of my father's funeral. There are signs
      in nature that God and Christ are loving a person. Also there are miracles of timing, when something or someone helps
      you just in the minute you needed it. Also, start reading one of the stories of Jesus' life in the Bible – either Matthew, Mark,
      Luke, or John and read a chapter a day. Keep it up and ask God and Christ to help you know them through that
      spiritual exercise; also find a church to worship in that is to your liking and start seeking to hear what God and Christ;s
      messages are for you in the worship service. The Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways to raise certain words and
      ideas up in our conscience to give us meaning and guidance. Also confess any sins and ask God and Christ to help
      you believe. Finally, make Christian friends in a Christian faith community and ask them to help you ! Jesus said that
      all the faith we need to have in the beginning is that of a little mustard seed. But we need to nurture that seed and its
      spiritual growth so that it will grow into ultimately the size of a tree. Christ and God love you and want you to open the door of your heart to them and let them come in and make their home with you. (See Gospel of John, Chapters 14 & 15.) We have to open the door of our heart to them. They do not force their way in. We have to invite Christ and God into our
      lives. You can do it with a prayer that says " If you exist, pls help me to learn of you and to follow you." God bless you!
      If you want to email me, you can. I have more examples of miracles in nature, miracles of timing, miracles of angels
      appearing to people to share with you.

July 30, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
      • skytag

"Hi! Being a Presbyterian Pastor"

My ex-brother-in-law is a Presbyterian minister. Presbyterians don't impress me. They strike me as pretentious. He took a job as the pastor of a church in Detroit whose membership had been declining for years. The people there thought he could help bring more people into the church. And he did. He seized an opportunity to reach out to the black community had some real success. Then his church fired him because those weren't the kind of people they wanted him to bring in. It's a clear example of why having a professional ministry is not something I believe God would support if he existed.

"I would like to respond to your first question of why it is important to take time to seek God."

I didn't ask why it was important if you already believe the Christian narrative, I asked what incentive do I have to seek something I don't believe exists.

The rest of your justification is nothing more than a lot of claims I see no objective reason to believe. I accept that you believe all that stuff, but it that is your perception and interpretations in action, fueled by a strong bias to justify your beliefs. Basically your argument, which is pretty much the only argument I hear is, "You should seek God because I say it's worth it."

The obvious problems with that reasoning is are two-fold: One, there are hundreds of religions out there saying the same thing. Two, people sincerely believe things that are wrong all the time. In fact, believers over the centuries deeply believed many things we now know were nonsense, such as the notion that epileptic seizures are the result of demonic possessions. So one could argue that at times believers do more to undermine their own credibility than any atheist or outsider ever could.

For example:

"Harold Egbert Camping (born July 19, 1921) is an American Christian radio broadcaster, author and evangelist.
        [...]
        Camping predicted that Jesus Christ would return to Earth on May 21, 2011, whereupon the righteous would fly up to heaven, and that there would follow five months of fire, brimstone and plagues on Earth, with millions of people dying each day, culminating on October 21, 2011, with the final destruction of the world." — Wikipedia

A bunch of Christians quit their jobs, left their lives behind and traveled the country in motorhomes to tell people Jesus was was returning on May 21. That's real conviction, my friend, real belief... in something that wasn't true. Over the past 2,000 years Christians have believed a lot of things that aren't true, and nothing they believe has ever been objectively confirmed. That's not really a strong case for credibility from where I sit.

Mormons talk pretty much like you do and are as convinced they've found the truth as you are that you have. You offer no better reason to follow your path than they offer to follow their path, yet I seriously doubt you would advocate I use the Book of Moron in my search for God.

To be clear, you seem like a fine person and I do not doubt your sincerity. I just think you see things through the lens of a belief system you've chosen to embrace because you found it more appealing than the alternatives with which you were familiar.

July 31, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • Orual

1.) If you are asking for an incentive for Christianity, then don't go towards it. But if at any time you feel whatever tasks you are filling your time with and you start to notice something missing, you may want to go towards it.
      But oh for God sake, if you are looking for pure comfort and joy, don't go towards Christianity. It's constant torture and cleansing. a cycle. but it works for a lot of people.

2.) I feel like you're thinking that you're playing the lottery when it comes to religion, and it makes me chuckle with happiness. It's simply the same. "Many paths, but one destination." The end goal of most religions is the same. What seem like huge differences among cultures are simply details in the scheme of things. Especially in the afterlife, I would think.

July 31, 2013 at 2:16 am |
    • Charlie

Thanks for the questions. Decided to give you the answers that satisfy me. Since I'm familiar with the Bible I'll reference it.
      Why invest the time to seek God? Hebrews 11:6
      Which God? 1 Kings 18:21-39
      Hope you find your own answers some day.

July 31, 2013 at 5:38 am |
  7. LyFe

I've read some conversations trying to prove/ disprove how God and this universe came to be. The first scripture in the Bible reads, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." (Gen 1:1 NIV) It does not tell you where God came from or how He did it. It simply states that He existed. He has ALWAYS existed; and, unless we have faith we will never truly believe in Him (Jesus). Man says, "Show me so I can see, " and Jesus says, "Believe that you may see."

July 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • skytag

This is the mentality of a brainwashed drone with no capacity for independent thought. Why should I believe in Jesus if I see no reason to believe he exists?

July 30, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
      • orwxguy

I'm curious... have you always had this particular thought process? Was there ever a time in your life where you did have some sort of a belief in a "higher power" whether that be god or something else? Also, how can you prove that Jesus (or God) doesn't exist? Again, just curious...

July 31, 2013 at 2:43 am |
    • toll

There's a place for atheists on the belief blog, but no place for trolls. Unfortunately, the civil ones are few and the trolls are many.

July 30, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
  8. GOOD NEWS

Millennials who are truly looking for Jesus,

then look here, you will really find him.

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES

July 30, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • Athy

I looked. All I found was meaningless bullshit.

July 30, 2013 at 8:26 pm |

So cold. LOL

July 31, 2013 at 6:57 am |
  9. MyScienceCanBeatUpYourGod

“So what you’re saying is we need hipper worship bands. …”

Imma let Hank Hill sound off on that one:
    "You're not making Christianity any better, you're making Rock and Roll worse!"

July 30, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
  10. Dan Braaten

I enjoyed this article and the comments. I love the passion of atheists. I once was one. I had to ask a lot of questions and run far from God before He found me. I am on a spiritual journey and love it. Life is still a mystery and I have a lot of issues with the religious folks but God is cool! I read Dr Hugh Ross's books and they explain science and the bible. It all makes sense to me.

July 30, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • skytag

If you believe you were running from God you never stopped believing in him. I really am an atheist. I'm not running from anything. I simply see no reason to believe there is a God. Your "spiritual journey" is all in your head, all you. If it makes you feel good, great, just don't try to impose it on others by pushing laws that reflect your religious views.

July 30, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
      • Dan Braaten

I didn't realize I was running and I'm not trying to make you believe. It's just my story and I thought I'd share it.

July 30, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Justin

Which god was that–the god of your parents, I expect?

July 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
      • Dan Braaten

It wasn't the god I heard about in the church I grew up in. It's hard to explain but this God had been there all the time I just didn't recognize it. The universe has more than the four time space dimensions that we are trapped in. there is a reality that is beyond us. there is this eternal destiny that I think we all are aware of deep inside. I think religion and the trials of life just make us unaware of it.

July 30, 2013 at 10:56 pm |
        • skytag

So how is it you found a god that isn't the god other people are finding? And I'll bet it's safe to say there is no more objective evidence for your god than any other god.

July 31, 2013 at 3:48 am |
  11. chrismorton82

Rachel, I've been in those churches, who never give thought to life of those under 40. I'm happy to say that my church here in Austin isn't one of them! Here's what I've learned about doing church for millennials: http://bit.ly/13t6nLy

July 30, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
About this blog