home
RSS
August 24th, 2013

Should Christianity be so boring?

Opinion by Jon Acuff, Special to CNN

(CNN) - No one has ever accused us Christians of being fun.

No one has ever said we are a laugh-filled group.

No atheist has ever said, “I might not love Jesus, but his followers sure know how to party!”

And yet, in my favorite story in the Bible we actually see Jesus paint the opposite picture.

If you’re a Christian, you’ve heard the Parable of the Prodigal Son in the Gospel of Luke referenced in approximately 42 million sermons. If you’ve missed it though, allow me to summarize.

A young son said to his dad, who represents God, “I want my inheritance.” This was the cultural equivalent of saying, “I wish you were dead!” The father gives him the money. The son immediately runs off to the Jersey shore and fist pumps the night away with 4 Loko and Skrillex. [Not a direct translation.]

After squandering all the money and awakening in a pig pen, the son devises a plan. He will come home, apologize and throw himself at the mercy of the father. His greatest hope is that the father will let him be a servant. He can’t even imagine getting to keep the title “son.”

He comes home expecting punishment, but instead something weird happens.

The father sees him from a distance and sprints toward him. He runs toward him and embraces him. Before the son can even get his whole apology out, the father has already started planning the last thing he expected.

A party.

Instead of punishment he gets a party.

The idea that God fixes problems with parties is crazy.

Who does that?

Life doesn’t work that way. Imagine that you messed up at work. Your boss called you in and said, “Johnson you lost our biggest account! You just cost this company more than 3 million dollars. You know what that makes me want to do? Throw you a party!”

Or think about this in the context of a marriage. Have you ever had an argument with your spouse? Not a fake argument but one that lands you on the couch overnight.

You come into the kitchen and your wife is doing that “mad dishwashing” move we all do when we’re upset. Just power scrubbing pots and pans with a vengeance, mumbling the entire time.

You approach her slowly and say, “Heyyyy baby, how do you feel this morning?” Without looking at you, she takes a deep breath and says, “You really hurt my feelings. Last night, you really surprised me by what you did. My mom was right about you. I’m so angry and disappointed. This whole thing makes me want to get an inflatable bounce house and throw a huge celebration in your honor!”

That would be ludicrous.

Our worst mistakes don’t end in parties, but in this story in the Bible, it did.

When given the opportunity to talk to a group of people, the picture Jesus drew of his Father was of a party giver; someone who met sinners with welcome home banners.

What if Christians were like that?

What if churches became the place where failures found new beginnings?

What if we were known for our parties, not for our Pharisees?

It all feels a little crazy, but I don’t think it’s impossible.

Christians should offer hope in exchange for hurt, new in exchange for old, parties in exchange for pain.

Are we there yet?

Nope, we’ve got a long way to go. We’ve still got a lot of things to work through, a lot of progress we have to make.

But when you think about the prodigal son story, I hope you will remember something.

Two people moved.

One walked.

One ran.

And we prodigals are the walkers.

We still have a running God.

And he is ready to throw a party.

Jon Acuff is a keynote speaker and the author of four books including The New York Times best-seller, START. Acuff is also the author of the popular blog, Stuff Christians Like.net.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jon Acuff

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • Opinion

soundoff (4,711 Responses)
  1. FreeFromTheism

Or, he sentences you to hell for eternity for not believing in him... I guess it depends on his mood, eh?

August 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • Colin

You sentence yourself. You'd better recheck your options.

August 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
      • FreeFromTheism

well, I can't choose to believe in something that I believe doesn't exist, now can I?
        Either way, my point is still valid: the god in question throws parties (at least according to the author) in some cases and in others he condemns one to an eternity in hell
        let's call it divine dictatorship

August 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
        • Maani

Actually, you have it exactly backward: you CAN choose to believe in something you do not believe exists. That is EXACTLY what "faith" is. God does not want automatons; i.e., He does not want you to believe in Him because you HAVE to – because He has "proven" His existence to you. That is a blatant violation of your free will. He wants you to believe in Him because you WANT to – i.e., because the free will He gave you INCLUDES the free will to accept or reject His existence.

August 24, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
        • OTOH

Maani,

Is your "God" all-knowing? If so, "He" would know before "He" creates each and every person exactly what they will eventually choose - and creates them anyway...

August 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

God is disgustingly evil because he does not eliminate the option of eternal torture.

August 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
        • sam stone

naani: if god is omniscient, there is no freewill

as far as belief goes, no one can have any feelings toward a being in which they do not believe

August 24, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
        • Doobs

If an adult chooses to believe in Santa Claus, most people would consider them mentally ill, or at least silly and childish.

If an adult chooses to believe in a psychotic, vengeful, yet somehow loving sky fairy, they are considered wise.

Got it.

August 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
        • chuckie

Who created the Devil? Man is tempted because God created evil in His world. Your "free" choice is to worship and accept His every whim or to be eternally damned. Not really a Hobson's Choice, but close.

August 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
      • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Wrong ... God(s) carries out the sentence, no matter how you try to justify the hypocrisy of it all.

August 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
        • Lionly Lamb

So then, you believe do you..? Your sarcasm sounds as though you believe JMO...

August 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
      • One one

So, god will send the 1.5 billion Muslims to eternal torture because they adopted the religion of their mother and father ?

That makes him an evil sadistic monster. BTW, do you worship him ?

August 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
        • chuckie

No creature knows who will be saved. God can save whomever He chooses.

August 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
        • hharri

just as he forces you to write your boring posts.

August 25, 2013 at 9:22 am |
      • sam stone

Sure, Colin....we sentence ourselves by being born.

What kind of vindictive pr1ck do you grovel before?

August 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
        • hharri

quit your crying. what a baby. yea, you are gonna die. that's your sentence. hell is the one god gives you

August 25, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • Colin

I thought you were referencing God, since you are talking god a term that is used to refer to idols it is up in the air as to what you believe or don't believe. You may not believe in speed limits but if you continuously ignore them eventually you will meet someone who will change your opinion.

August 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
      • pest

Sorry, false analogy. Speed limits are easily proven to exist. God(s) must be accepted on faith (i.e., belief without proof).

August 24, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
      • G to the T

I don't need faith to believe in speed limits. There are irrefutable signs on the side of road letting me know the requirement.

Religion has yet to provide that irrefutable sign for me. How can I truly exercise my free will if I'm not given sufficient evidence to make an informed choice? Is "blind" faith the only acceptable kind?

August 26, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
  2. Adriel

Everyone wants to be entertained these days or they would feel 'bored'. Even some entertainment is demanded from church and school.

August 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
  3. Lionly Lamb

I'm sorry Frankie, you can't party until your chores for the year are done... Oh the Avalon of it all...

August 24, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  4. Colin

When the most recent potential shooter entered a school with an assault rifle he was met by an employee that knew the value and purpose of prayer.

August 24, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
    • Doobs

So the teachers and little kids at Sandy Hook just didn't say the right words?

August 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
      • OTOH

Colin,

What a hideous statement! How dare you...

August 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
      • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Exactly .. your point is undeniable Doobs!

August 24, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • Colin

We were not speaking about sandy hook , try to stay with the conversation if you're going to butt in.

August 24, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
      • Ambrose Smith

Well, we are talking about Sandy Hook now. You're missing the point. It worked for the recent school gunman but not for Sandy Hook gunman?? Don't try to dodge the logic.

August 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
        • Lionly Lamb

How circular your rhythms are...

August 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
      • pest

"Try to ignore scenarios that dump all over the point I'm asserting."

August 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
      • Doobs

You're the one who brought up school shootings. You can't conveniently limit the discussion to the school shooting that didn't happen and say it was your god who stopped it and not allow the ones that he ignored.

And by the way, it's a public comment section, so I'll "butt in" wherever I damn well please.

August 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
    • Larry

Her cool head prevailed. That helped.

August 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • One one

I listened to the 911 call. She didn't pray at all. She kept a level head, treated the perp with respect and sensed that he really didn't want to harm anyone. He reached out for help and compassion and fortunately found the right person.

August 24, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
  5. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things,

August 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • GAW

I smell spam.

August 24, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
      • Colin

Take a shower and come back it seems to be from you.

August 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • Prayer is harmful ... proven

Templeton Foundation Prayer Study .. Short version:
      Conclusion:
      Prayer had no effect on recovery when patients did NOT know they were being prayed for..
      But those KNOWING they were receiving prayer had a HIGHER incidence of complications (59%).

August 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
  6. mike

the style the article is written in is very distracting

August 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  7. CGAW

Good article and find it to be resounding to what is real love and what should be done. Catholics may be more ceremonial but we do party better than the evangelicals. Isn't that interesrting – the fundamental protestants have most informal and most unceremonious ways of praying to and worshipping God but are all uptight to drink a beer and dance.

August 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • Eric

Think of all the [wait for it] Feasts!!! Feasts = parties. It is dull now.

August 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • Eric

Except for Catholics and Episcopalians.

August 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Doobs

You're right about that. I can't tell you how many times the priests came to teach class drunk after throwing back a few chalices of sacramental wine at 7 am.

August 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
  8. Ric

I am always amazed at the number of comments by people who claim to have no religious belief on a religious "Belief blog." This article did nothing to warrant all of the nasty comments about Christianity that have been posted. Does it bring you joy to belittle and insult the beliefs of others? If you don't believe what the man wrote, then fine. Disagree. Go ahead and say you disagree. But insulting people for no reason is childish, mean, and discredits your position. Maybe the author is right. You need a party. Cheer up.

August 24, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
    • Tom

Well said. But I assume the trolls won't stop trolling because it's in their nature.

August 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
    • bostontola

Belief blog, not religious belief blog.

August 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
      • Lionly Lamb

Sired Boston...

So... Even atheists are believers of..? Who'd have thought an atheist believes..? I was always under the impression that atheists don't have beliefs... My bad...

August 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
        • Doobs

I was always under the impression that atheists don't have beliefs

That's just one of your many delusions.

August 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
        • Lionly Lamb

Sired Doobs...

The delusions within my brain-yards of atomized cellular neurons knows much more about others deluded conscripts whose proclamations entail... What really do atheists know about righteous moralism alongside their perceptions of embittered immoralities..?

August 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm |

Shit for brains LL,

Got the word salad spinner cranking way, I see.

August 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • CGAW

Most trolls on here are just angry with thier station in life and are bitter. Plus if you don't believe in God or bellieve in a spiritual world, then not much to be happy about,huh? The concept of work, school, get money, spend money, grow old sick and die is pretty depressing if you consider yourself nothing more than a biological animal in a solely physical world.

August 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
      • Cpt. Obvious

I'm an atheist and I think that there are many things to be happy about. Life is MORE meaningful when you realize that this is it--your one chance to live and enjoy experience.

August 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
      • CGAW

True that one can choose to be happy in a physical world as many people do so – I agree but it is still grounded in the here and now and not something greater than we can all love each other for eternity. I am not just a biological movement in the universe.

August 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
        • Lionly Lamb

Sired CGAW wrote, "a biological movement in the universe."

I would dare to say as a "biological movement" we tend to live within the moments with hardly an afterthought of what once was nor what will eventually become...

August 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
        • Doobs

I am not just a biological movement in the universe.

Hilarious choice of words.

August 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

It doesn't really matter if I am just a "biological movement in the universe" does it? Since there is no way to determine whether I am or not, then I may as well work with the information I do have and use the philosophy I have produced up to this time and place. Maybe the reality is much stranger than we realize, and we are much more than just a biological product of the universe, and the reality of what I am is much more depressing than the sensible belief I carry now (that I am a biological function of the universe only). In that case, I'd rather be ignorant of my eventual misfortune and enjoy the life I have now the best I am able.

August 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
      • Larry

That is a whole lot of supposition without any substance. Calling non-believers "trolls" is incredibly patronizing, and completely untrue.
        Take the log out of your eye, son.

August 24, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
      • Doobs

I'm happy just sitting here on my deck, enjoying an espresso with a plate of bacon and eggs, right in the here and now, rather than taking the attitude that I'm stuck in some horrible airport terminal, waiting for Jeebus to get the heavenly grill fired up for the heathen roasting,

August 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
        • joel

"Only if you're so narrow minded that you think belief in a sky psycho is the sole thing that can bring you happiness."

So, what if the thing that brings me happiness is driving around shooting random people in the back for fun? I'd rather be surrounded by "uptight, narrow minded people" who at least are decent members of society than surrounded by people who live according to their own moral relativism that we've seen over the past few days.

August 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
        • Doobs

I haven't read anything about beliefs or lack thereof of the young men who murdered the Australian or the WWII veteran, but your argument about moral relativism doesn't fly. Our secular system of government has laws that prohibit people from harming each other and courts to deal with those who do. No god is required for humans to know that killing each other is wrong and harmful to us as a species.

Care to discuss the relative percentage of Christians vs. atheists in the US prison population instead?

August 24, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
    • Jonathan L.

This is not about " belittling " this is about education. We have children we have to protect. It's 2013, we don't want our kids exposed to this destructive nonsense. The truth is important and we as parents have a responsibility to future generations. This is not about being " insulting " it is about stopping something that is harmful to society.

August 24, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

Well, Ric, what you're saying is not particularly true for atheists as it is for people in general. So, let's be fair, and let's admit the fact that one's religion doesn't really grant one higher moral standing.
      Cheers

August 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • GAW

Extremists are extremists regardless of what they believe. Most use words as their weapons and are few in number but have the loudest voices (Or a lot of time on their hands)

August 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magic Underwear

Actually, I quite enjoy belittling the ridiculous and infantile religious beliefs of supposedly intelligent adults. Their beliefs are SO insane that ridicule is the only appropriate response.

August 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • Doobs

This is a public site and open to anyone. It's not your personal VIP playground where you can exclude those you don't agree with. If you want a place like that, stay in church.

August 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
  9. Jim

Let's face it, there WAS a beginning, Life WAS brought forth from the earth. Photosynthesis DID begin. Animal life DID come forth abundantly from the waters. A great diversification of mammals DID occur and finally Man was formed (evolved) at the very last, and all from that one original organism that was quite literally CREATED from the clays of the earth. I'm not seeing life anywhere else in the solar system, galaxy or the rest of the universe ? No communications being picked up from space ? We can't even replicate the formation of life from natural chemistry ?

August 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • bostontola

You're right! That is why we should all hail Zeus.

August 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
      • rolick

Don't be silly, we all know that Odin it the one true god, he has that hot son with the hammer.

August 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
    • Hey! You!

'We can't even replicate the formation of life from natural chemistry ?'

100 yrs ago you most likely would have traveled by horse rather than automobile. Give it time my friend.

August 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
      • bostontola

Shank's mare more likely, horses were expensive.

August 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

What's your point? Have you looked into what the scientific community has to say about the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe and why life could be abundant without our knowledge of it? What about all the stupid things the bible says about creation for which there is no parallel? Certainly there is no correlation in regards to time scales and stars being "lesser lights" and that sort of ignorance.

August 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
      • karl from az

Let’s see if I’ve got this Evolution based ‘scientific’ thing right:
        The belief is that there was once absolutely nothing. And, nothing happened to the nothing until the nothing magically exploded (for no reason), creating everything & everywhere. Then, a bunch of the exploded everything magically arranged itself (for no reason whatsoever), into self-replicating bits which then turned itself into dinosaurs.
        And, they mock my beliefs.

August 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

You seem to be conflating a whole bunch of nonsense in order to mock what you don't understand. Atheists admit it when they don't know something and we say that we don't know what caused there to be matter and energy. We don't take the lazy way out and claim that a big invisible sky wizard chanted magic spellz to create a universe so delicately balanced on a knife edge that one motion of one woman's arm put the whole thing into nuclear meltdown (sin) that became an invisible disease in a magical and invisible body part (soul) and that disease passed down magically and invisibly through genetics ensuring that everyone goes to a place of eternal torture unless we chant a magic spell just right (sinner's prayer) and accept an invisible force into our undetectable body part.

August 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
        • Doobs

Ah, the "how could nothing come from nothing, so goddidit" argument. The go-to for the homeschooled.

August 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
        • chuckie

I believe it is Christian dogma that God created the universe and all else from nothing. It is not undisputed in science that the universe was created from nothing. The philosopical discipline of ontology, which argues such issues as what does it mean to be, etc. is not closed to argument. In fact it has been argued for centuries with us being no where closer to settling the arguments than when we first began.

August 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
        • Maani

Chuckie: "It is not undisputed in science that the universe was created from nothing." Actually, it is far from "undisputed."

"So long as the universe had a beginning, we could suppose it had a creator." Stephen Hawking

"The best data we have concerning the Big Bang are exactly what I would have predicted, had I nothing to go on but the five books of Moses, the Psalms, the Bible as a whole." Arno Penzias, Nobel laureate, physics

"The idea of a singularity is completely unacceptable as a physical description of the universe...An infinitely dense universe is where the laws of physics, and even space and time, break down." Joseph Silk, astronomer

"Perhaps the best argument in favor of the thesis that the Big Bang supports theism is the obvious unease with which it is greeted by some atheist scientists. At times this has led to scientific ideas, such as continuous creation or an oscillating universe, being advanced with such tenacity which so exceeds their intrinsic worth that one can only suspect the operation of psychological forces lying very much deeper than the usual academic desire of a theorist to support his or her theory." Christopher Isham, astrophysicist.

"If we are to be honest, then we have to accept that science will be able to claim complete success only if it achieves what many might think impossible: accounting for the emergence of everything from absolutely nothing." Peter Atkins, quantum physicist, chemist

August 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
      • CGAW

Well what is obvious is that we humans can only study the physical in the ohysical world. Why would a scientist have any capability of studying a spiritual world? Illogical and a false assumption. Let us stick to science in the physical universe and use our hearts and souls to explore outside space, time, matter and the laws of physics

August 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

Measurement. Faith can't determine which "spiritual perspective" is more correct than another spiritual perspective. Thus, it only aids the believer regardless of belief. Faith works equally well for a wrong belief as for a right belief. Thus "hearts and souls" can't bring surety.

August 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
        • CGAW

Correct, a religion cannot determine the correct spiritual path but we cannot ignore that just becasue we are in a physical universe that a spiritual one does not exist or that we cannot access it. We should try.

August 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

Again, the problem is measurement. By what method do we determine that there even IS a "spiritual" realm? We can certainly know that our ignorance is amazing, but to know that part of what we don't know is "spiritual" is mere azzumption. What if I believe in fairies and dragons with my "whole heart" and that IS my spirituality? Do you see the problem?

August 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • Ethan Quinones

Have you ever heard of the miller-urey experiment?

August 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
      • Richard Cranium

Ethan
        That would involve science, something that Jim, the original poster, clearly never studied.

August 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
        • Jim

Secular Fundamentalists always claim that religious people know nothing of science when in fact MOST of the scientific discoveries were made by religious people. Galileo, Copernicus, Newton, Pasteur, Francis Collins, and even the Belgian Priest credited with coming up with the Big Bang theory, Georges Lemaitre are all well known Christian scientists.

August 25, 2013 at 9:21 am |
        • Richard Cranium

"science fundamentalists"...there's a new one.
          Just reading this "all from that one original organism that was quite literally CREATED from the clays of the earth. I'm not seeing life anywhere else in the solar system, galaxy or the rest of the universe ? No communications being picked up from space ? We can't even replicate the formation of life from natural chemistry ?"
          Just from reading that, the questions and statements are so incredibly ignorant, it is obvious that the original poster either never studied science or did study and never comprehended.

None of the discussion following is indicative of a creator, or any gods.

August 25, 2013 at 9:45 am |
        • Maani

Richard: When was the last time you actually read Origin of Species? Here is Darwin's conclusion:

"Authors of the highest eminence seem to be fully satisfied with the view that each species has been independently created. To my mind, it accords better with what we know about the laws impressed upon matter by the Creator that the production and extinction of the past and present inhabitants of the world should have been due to secondary causes, like those determining the birth and death of the individual...There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been breathed into a few forms or into one..."

Thus, Darwin believed that a "Creator" "impressed upon matter" the "laws" of the universe – including evolution – and further believed that that Creator "breathed" "life" into a "few forms or into one."

You really should make certain of your claims before you make them.

August 27, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
      • Jim

Yes. I have read of the Miller Urey Experiments. I have also read of Sydney Foxes Experiments. Neither of which produced a living organism. Biochemists still haven't been able to create a living organism from the naturally forming base chemistry or molecules that the two above scientists produced. In fact, as far as we know, life formed ONLY ONCE, one afternoon appx. 3.9 billion years ago, only on earth and has NEVER been replicated since. All living things alive today evolved from that one original organism. I didn't make this up. That is what the Encyclopedia Britannica says.

August 25, 2013 at 9:09 am |
  10. Cpt. Obvious

Well, I've always thought it was a good idea to judge people solely by their photo/appearance. So, well done.

August 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Again you astound me with your relevance and precision. Again, nice job!

August 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  11. boredofceleb

It's true. The world sees too many Christians in the form of "Pharisees"–legalistic and judgmental. When in reality Christ denounced the Pharisees as hypocrites and taught a much different way of life. Unfortunately, the world does not see too many of the "true" Christ followers, and it is the "Pharisees" that make the news.

August 24, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  12. Jonothan L.

Christianity is based on a man created mythology which was marketed and spread. It shouldn't exist at tall. We have to break free from these primitive belief systems so our kids and future generations don't fall victim to these fables and damaging dogma.......and no I'm not an atheist but I am educated in World relgions.

August 24, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • swohio

Prove it, Jonothn. PROVE that Christianity was a "man created mythology".

August 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
      • Jonothan L.

I would say you have far more to prove. I deal with facts and history. You are dealing with a man created fable. No facts. Earth is just a tingy speck of sand it an endless Universe filled with life. Do you think intelliegent alien life know of Christianity and our culture created dogma? I think not. Educate yourself...our children are counting on us.

August 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • missusgalloway

So... since you are not an atheist... what deity or belief system do you consider not man made?

August 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
    • BlesstheWord

Intelligent response.

August 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
  13. Gil

Christianity is boring (like many religions) because it draws people to it who are looking for canned answers and who have not yet thought for themselves.

These people are often boring people.

August 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Jonothan L.

Exactly. Questioning and critical thinking is strongly discouraged. Many many people do not want to think for themselves. Sorry No ancient man written book is going to tell me what to do or what to think.

August 24, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
      • Jonathan L.

Typo bright boy. Apologies.

August 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
  14. LouAZ

Christians should do exciting things like Muslims Shias and Muslim Sunnis . . . kill the other . . . in the name of the same god !
    Baptist should declare war on Methodist who declare war on Presbytarian who declare war on LDS who declare war on Lutheran who declare war on Catholics (who already did that once). Halejulia !

August 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
  15. nathancah

Ah read more Chesterton. If you don't think Christan's bring the party, just read some G.K. Chesterton. You haven't been hanging out with the right Christians 😀

August 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  16. Reality

And when the last Christian church closes along with the other worthless houses of "worship", there will be party that will last until the Sun consumes us in three billion years.

August 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • John P. Tarver

Unless Obama starts a war with Russia, in which case it may be over soon.

August 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
      • bostontola

troll

August 24, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  17. BoldGeorge

True biblical Christianity is certainly not boring. If you read the Bible and its accounts, from the creation of the world, to the fall of man because of disobedience and then the promise of world redemption through the Patriarchs, to the global flood account, to the enslavement and exodus of the Israelites, to the plagues of Egypt for Pharaoh not letting His people go, to the miraculous parting of the Red Sea, to the fall of Jericho, to the rapture of Elijah to heaven, to the young David defeating the giant, to David's fall into sin by stealing the wife of one of his soldiers and then killing him to hide his sin, to the defeat and capture of Israel (again) this time by the Babylonians, then the Medo-Persians, then the Greeks, then the Romans, then their diaspora, to the promise of a King and Savior, to the Birth of Christ, to His miracles, walking on water, calming the storm, predicting his demise and resurrection, to the horrible and explicit form of death of Christ, to His coming back from the grave 3 days later and then His heavenly ascent, to the forming of the Church through the Apostles and their martyrdom...

I would not exactly use the word "boring" when referring to Christianity as the Bible teaches it. However, this is exactly when I find people using the word 'boring' to. When it comes to obedience to God's word, which means turning from sin and turning to Christ for cleansing of the soul and coming to a new way of life and thought, staying away from se.x.u.al immorality like fornication, adultery and from hatred, blaspheming His name whenever something doesn't go right in our loves, and staying away from sin as a whole.....this is when I see people labeling Christianity as BORING, when they are commanded to live righteously through faith in Jesus Christ!

August 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • LouAZ

You left out the Immaculate Reception in the 1972 Steelers Raiders AFC Playoff Game.

August 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
      • Jim

In fact, VIRGIN births have been observed in some species, sharks for instance. It's called Parthenogenesis. Again, modern science confirms a possibility previously thought ridiculous by any scientist.

August 25, 2013 at 9:39 am |
        • G to the T

And if you think that somehow make the "virgin birth' in the bible more viable then you are mistaken.

August 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
        • Sara

Such offspring are always female.

August 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • Hey! You!

As an Atheist, I agree that the stories of the Bible are not boring, they have been used to make some great movies.

August 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
      • BoldGeorge

If only Hollywood would get the actual accounts accurate, now that would be something.

August 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
        • OTOH

Yeah, doesn't it really bug you how they took liberties with the "facts" of the Hercules story too?!

Sorry, George, there are no accurate, verified reports of your fantasy stories.

August 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
        • BoldGeorge

Then again "they" don't have verifiable, accurate and even testable facts for evolution other than we have to take it on faith that it all happened millions and billions and gazillions of years ago.

August 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
        • Doobs

Try cracking open a science book, Georgie Boy. You seem confused about the difference between facts and faith.

August 24, 2013 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Lionly Lamb

The kingdoms of God's domains are inside all things living abundances... We are nothing more than living buildings structured by God's treed family generations from the times of our inceptions thru our living of life upon the celestial toward our deaths and resurrections back into the Godly domains still living abundances...

The prodigal ones waste ever away their resourcefulness never saving up for times of lessor abundances which always comes within life's rhythms... Surely do the people need reasons of joyfulness away from times of least abundances and well they will receive their joys which living upon one's treasured means dare permits...

August 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  19. Rami

Not sure if it wise to consider Christianity a faith or religion. It the writing of some people over the years, and it keep changing. So, let stop it now, and call it an idea or maybe fools gold.

August 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  20. tony

Prayer is the religious alternative to actually helping.

August 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
    • bostontola

But it makes you feel better...

August 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • Deo Masur

Then you clearly don't know what prayer is...

August 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
      • lol?? Pithiest, YES!!

Kaysi
        Time to get my pepperoni pizza folks.

August 25, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
        Doobs
        Enjoy. I just had a big burger and a margarita on the patio. Gorgeous weather today.

Life is good.

August 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
        Kaysi
        You are so lucky you can eat pepperoni pizza! I can't have pepperoni 'cuz of the nitrates in it. They have a pizza place in the popular 1970s TV series, Laverne & Shirley, the purpose of the Carmine Ragusa character was to keep Lenny and Squiggy in line. The Lenny and Squiggy characters are arguably the best thing in the series.
        The "Lenny and Squiggy" act was originally formed when both actors were undergraduates, attending Columbia University in New York City.

August 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm |