home
RSS
September 9th, 2013

S.E. Cupp: `Conservative atheist' is not a contradiction

(CNN) – With "Crossfire" returning to CNN this Monday, September 9, CNN is taking a closer look into the hosts' lives with a series of Web videos.

In this first video, S.E. Cupp, a columnist, commentator and author, delves into her experiences with understanding religion and what it’s like to be an atheist and a conservative.

"To me, it never seemed like a contradiction," Cupp explains. "We have the same values," Cupp says of herself and religious believers. "I just think I get them from somewhere else."

Cupp, who has a master’s degree in religious studies, says she was always curious about religion. "I was just fascinated by the pomp and ceremony and ritual nature of religion, and yet couldn't completely get there ever; couldn't completely wrap my mind around the idea of God."

Cupp says she has been working on finding greater understanding for the last 20 years, and isn't giving up. "I want to get to the bottom of this story. It's something that I'll always be challenging myself on."

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Church and state • News media • Politics • TV

1. Family Christian Stores, Inc.

In the Bible according to the Book of Isaiah and in the Book of Luke, Muslims and the Islamic Foundation were in the Garden of Gethsamane and on the Island of Patmos where John the Apostle wrote the Book of Revelation. The Book of Revelation mentions in the archaiac script that al-Qaeda is Muslim and islamic Christian and needs to create a One-World-Government or a 666-Mark-Of-The-Beast so that the world will be made christian. The Beast is a good Islamic-Muslim Christian Beast and will make the world right. For comments, call our store in Gaithersburg, Maryland at 301–990-6611 or cell number at 240–344-1323 for details on this important topic. We thank you for your service if you will help us get the world to make the Muslims their personal Gods and Messiahs!

October 14, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
  2. IslandAtheist

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rESr-Qb6p64&w=640&h=390]

September 17, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  3. Riley

If conservative atheist is not a contradiction, then conservative Christian is. There can be no common ground.

September 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • SixDegrees

You're correct on the latter point. Evangelical attempts to impose a theocracy on the nation are fundamentally at odds with Conservatism, and its insistence on small, unintrusive government. They have usurped and distorted beyond all recognition a movement which was once both popular and that spanned party divisions.

It's long past time for a return to Conservatism in the style of its original proponents, like Barry Goldwater.

September 22, 2013 at 6:47 am |
      • Stephen Harper

Just saying you're an atheist is a contradiction in itself.

September 22, 2013 at 6:52 am |
        • SixDegrees

Only for the easily confused or misled.

September 22, 2013 at 7:26 am |
  4. GET0verit

Sam Harris is a gun-toting, range-shooting, firearm nut. But, he is male, so it's OK he has differing opinions. Cupp, on the other hand, is just a silly and stupid woman. She needs to become more liberal before atheists can offer support.

September 16, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
  5. Charles

SE Cupp is an estrogen version of Glenn Beck. She belongs to FOXX. The fact she is on CNN is beyond me.

September 15, 2013 at 9:50 am |
    • william mason

Si­nce I st­ar­t­ed fre­­el­anci­­ng I'v­e be­en br­in­gin­g i­n $­9­0 bu­ck­­s/h… I s­i­­t a­­­t ho­m­e a­n­­d i a­m do­in­g m­­y wo­rk fr­om m­y la­pt­op. Th­℮ be­st th­ing i­s th­a­t i g­­­et mo­­r­e ti­­me t­­o sp­­e­­­nt wi­th m­y fa­mily a­­n­d wi­th m­y ki­ds a­nd i­n th­­e sa­me ti­me i ca­n e­a­rn en­oug­h t­o su­pp­­ort them... Y­ou c­a­n d­o i­t t­oo. St­­art her­e-­-­-­-­>g­i­­g­­2­­5­.­­­ℴ­

September 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  6. Scott

You liberals realize that your the reason why this country looks foolish around the world right now, right? You're the reason why America is becoming weak. Obama is your poster boy, you elected him, and now he's a mirror of your weakness and foolishness.

September 14, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • Steve

Right, we never looked foolish during W's reign...

September 17, 2013 at 1:10 am |
    • Scott_L

We look foolish because every other civilized country on the planet provides healthcare for its citizens. We look foolish because we run around with guns killing each other. We look foolish because we have to stick our noses in everyone else's business. We look foolish because we're a bunch of prudes when it comes to s*x. Even England shows s*x and profanity on TV and doesn't let Aunt Tilly in Foolville Arkansas dictate what everyone else gets to see and do. Sometimes I wish we had just let the south go after the civil war. We'd be much better off today without all the uneducated yokels running around.

September 30, 2013 at 11:42 am |
  7. chuck jones

i cant stand her stupid ass either!!!!!!

September 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • Constantin Chicioroaga

Constantin Chicioroaga traianch2005@mail.ru
      Я люблю каждый день и ночь по несколько раз своего партнера Стивена, мы хорошо ладим и даже думаем зарегистрировать наши отношения и усыновить несколько детей в Германии! Мы живем в свободной стране и хотим строить свою жизнь свободно по современному, поэтому нам плевать на всех вас и что вы о нас думаете – МЫ ГЕИ И ЭТИМ ГОРДИМСЯ!

November 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
  8. Sara

Where I live a fair portion of the atheists are economic conservatives. The mid-level educated, white, slightly angry suburban male demographic really pulls to the Libertarian atheist ideology. It's interesting they pulled out a woman as the representative for this interview.

September 12, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
  9. goodwithnogod

Yes you can be a conservative atheist but as a secular humanist I think it would be ridiculous for a conservative or libertarian atheist to call themselves a secular humanist. Secular – yes; humanist – absolutely not!

September 12, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care

Well, you're wrong there. I'm a secular humanist and very conservative. However, I believe in rights for all to include gay rights and am pro choice. At the same time I am for legal immigration and the death penalty when it is deserved.

September 12, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
      • SixDegrees

The father of the modern Conservative movement, Barry Goldwater, shared your support of gay rights and freedom of choice. His ideology has been usurped and distorted beyond all recognition by religious zealots.

September 22, 2013 at 6:50 am |
  10. jdon5

I'm also an atheist, but I despise this woman.

September 12, 2013 at 9:09 am |
  11. Vicki

I do like S.E. Cupp because although she has a lot of terrible ideas she is a lovely person who will eventually figure out what to believe. She was fun on MSNBC and I hope she will be good on CNN with the new Crossfire. I wish them all well. I had no idea she was an atheist because that is a non-starter in the GOP of hypocritical Christian dogma and propaganda.

September 12, 2013 at 1:26 am |
  12. Robert

S.E. Cupp has never had an original thought in her life. I have seen her on Bill Maher several times and all she can do is regurgitate the conservative party line. Hard to call her a liar when all she does is parrot the propaganda of the right. When she shows up on your air I immediately change the channel. A true bimbo in every sense of the word.

September 11, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  13. VB

SE cup only cares about anything that will further her career, get her on more shows whatever, whatever. She blah blah blahs on the most left leaning network out there – yet she is a conservative? Oh and she is supposedly a gun-nut too?!? Basically an ignorant redneck with a master's degree

September 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  14. grandma

More an agnostic then anything. Most of our founders had strong questions and most believed in a deity more than simple Christianity. There is a lot of research proving their stands. I don't much care about her religion, but her political views are mean spirited.

September 11, 2013 at 1:45 pm |