home
RSS
It's Yom Kippur, and this goat wants your sins
The force behind eScapegoat is G-dcast, a San Francisco nonprofit working to making Jewish learning fun.
September 13th, 2013

It's Yom Kippur, and this goat wants your sins

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) - Calling all Jews! Your confessional clock is ticking.

With Yom Kippur - the Day of Atonement - starting at sunset Friday (and ending the following night), this is your last chance to wipe your slates clean of the wrongs you’ve committed over the past year.

Oh, sure, you’ll be able to participate in a communal confession of sins Saturday in synagogue. But we know as well as you do that your community won’t hear everything you did.

It’s time to fess up.

Blending ancient tradition with modern innovation, there’s a newish Jewish Web app to help you lighten the load of guilt and spill your bad deeds. It’s called eScapegoat, and the whimsical tool lets you type your confessions in a Twitter-friendly format and see others’ also.

Best of all, you can remain utterly anonymous. Rabbis might call this cheating. We’re having too much fun to care.

“I claimed the soup was vegan. It wasn’t,” wrote one sinner.

“I yell at people from my car, even if they aren’t driving poorly,” shared another.

“I am hot with shame that my son only has a brown belt in his Kung Fu training,” said a third.

The force behind this endeavor is G-dcast, a San Francisco nonprofit committed to making Jewish learning fun through animated videos, apps and more.

The organization’s name, if anyone’s confused, is written this way because in the Jewish tradition it’s considered a no-no to write the name of God - hence the hyphen.

Calling the Web app eScapegoat is a play on a practice observed during biblical times when the Temple still stood in Jerusalem and sacrifices were offered for atonement.

Here’s how it worked way back then during what we now know as Yom Kippur, according to the confessional tool:

The High Priest took two goats. He sacrificed one and then he laid his hands on the other, transferring the community’s sins into it. Then, he sent the SCAPEGOAT off into the wilderness.

From the goat’s perspective, neither path ended well.

You, dear friends, can’t rely on some wandering, set-up-to-die goat to do your bidding - which is why you are commanded to make public confessions in synagogue during Yom Kippur.

But that doesn’t mean burdens can’t be laid on a virtual goat, too. Right?

The Web app was launched on August 9 during the first week of Elul, the month on the Jewish calendar that precedes the High Holy Days - which start with Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and end 10 days later with Yom Kippur.

Elul is the time when Jews traditionally self-reflect, look back on their year, take stock of how they behaved and think about what they can do better.

And if they can replace “crappy mobile device time with meaningful mobile device time,” all the better, said Sarah Lefton, G-dcast’s executive director and producer.

By Thursday night, nearly 5,000 confessions had been “laid on the goat,” Lefton reported. And nearly 21,000 “goaters,” or Web app visitors, had stopped by.

The app gives users the ability to type their confessions in a Twitter-friendly format. (Image courtesy G-dcast)

A compilation of some of G-dcast’s favorite sins, so far, also were released as the eScapegoat approached his final hours.

Someone at G-dcast set out to categorize the kinds of sins that were coming in earlier this week. The resulting themes, Lefton said, generally focused on lying, Internet use, anger, gossip, lack of time spent with loved ones and cheating.

Some of the confessions have been downright heavy.

“I should have had the baby,” one wrote, according to Lefton.

“I was never in love with my fiancée and should have told her,” said another on the Twitter account set up to list sins, aptly named @Sinfulgoat.

Also spotted was the one who wrote in, “For cutting, starving and disrespecting my body.”

Did Lefton, 40, and the others expect such seriousness?

“No. I didn’t. At all,” she said. “But the generation after me is so into oversharing, so it shouldn’t surprise me. But it still does.”

Another surprise has been the number of confessions directly related to Judaism. Several illustrated the tensions some Jews face this time of year.

“My family is no longer interested in practicing Judaism. I resent them for it. I feel they’ve taken something from me,” wrote one person.

“I’m sorry for all the sins I committed that I didn’t even know were sins because I lost touch with my Judaism,” another said.

And a third: “I am going to Las Vegas on Yom Kippur … That cannot be good …”

Lefton doesn’t want anyone thinking eScapegoat is a substitute for the real deal.

“This Web app is in no way trying to replace public confession,” she said. “We designed it as a lighthearted warm-up for the Day of Atonement. But if people are getting something more profound out of it, that’s great.”

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Holidays • Judaism • Social media

1. Apple Bush

I love science and history.

Therefore I am an atheist.

September 13, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • 616

I am quite sure that there are many religious people that love science and history as well as you.

September 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
      • Apple Bush

True 616, but I enjoy the truth where they make it up.

September 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
        • 616

Truth is always questionable.

September 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

I love science and history. I also have read about and studied both the bible and several of the sciences along with reading about as much history as I could get my hands on.

Therefore, I also am an atheist.

I don't have a problem with people who choose not to do their own studying and instead rely on others to fill them in on "truth" but I find those people get taken advantage of far more often than those who do their own study.

September 13, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Apple Bush

616, no you are wrong. There is absolute truth. If you do not endeavor to discover it, you are a lazy religious idiot.

September 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
      • 616

I could go with the idea of absolute fact but absolute truth? Nah. Truth is too subjective to be an absolute. Most philosophy profs would tell you that.

September 13, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
        • Apple Bush

Most philosophy profs are idiots who like to hear themselves talk. There is nothing subjective about absolute truth. That id contradictory.

September 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm |

AB

Your explanation of 'absolute truth' falls into the category of philosophy. It is not really about science or history.

September 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
        • 616

True that.

September 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
        • doobzz

@ AE

I don't see any explanation of truth from AB, only a statement that it exists.

September 13, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
        • AE

I noticed that, too. He has yet to demonstrate he possesses knowledge about absolute truth.

September 13, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
        • doobzz

@ AE

So why did you say this "Your explanation of 'absolute truth' falls into the category of philosophy." if there is no explanation?

September 13, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
        • AE

What do you say about people that know more about science and history than you that are not atheists?

I'm not sure a statement like "lazy religious idiot" would be an absolutely true way to describe them.

September 13, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
        • AE

Oops, Doobz I got you mixed up with Apple Bush. Nevermind!

September 13, 2013 at 9:04 pm |
        • doobzz

@ AE

No problem.

September 13, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
        • Apple Bush

Absolute truth is what it is man.

September 13, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
        • AE

It is out of your grasp.

September 13, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
        • Apple Bush

AE, you need to go sit at the kids table.

September 13, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
        • AE

An imperfect being, which all human beings are, can not possess knowledge of absolute truth.

We imperfect beings can have an understanding of mathematics and science, which is great for studying the natural world. It can tell us how things appear to happen. But it doesn't answer the biggest question. Why?

Sometimes these imperfect human beings find things like arts and literature that explain the truth of what is to be human better than science and history.

Perhaps that is why we have 2 sides of our brains – a logical and imaginative.

September 13, 2013 at 10:14 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

Quite right, AE. Science answers the question "how?" not "why?" But no religious belief or faith has ever PROVED that it can answer "why" either. It's all faith, and you can use faith to believe anything, no matter how ridiculous.

September 13, 2013 at 10:33 pm |

Cpt. Obvious

I know there is a source of absolute truth – God. And my faith is complete trust and confidence in that God that exists.

It is not ridiculous. It is true. Real. And absolutley WHY I am alive today.

September 13, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

That is merely your opinion, spoken from faith. It's all you have. It's not good enough for people who aren't favorable to your bias.

September 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
        • AE

And that is merely your opinion. In the exact same manner.

September 13, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
      • 2Bawaken

Pure truth as it exist in the subconscious mind is absolute. From it all life springs and then through infinite love, the created life is given breath and or free will. It is love on The True Spirit Fathers part to give such freedom to those who insult his act of love. And even greater that he forgives as I am taught to do the same by the Father of Spirit. Your very existence is proof to me that The True One exist.

September 13, 2013 at 7:48 pm |

You need to join AE.

September 13, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
        • In Santa we trust

"The proof is in my mind" is not a convincing argument.

September 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
        • 2Bawaken

You didn't understand at all. You see, the subconscious mind exist rather you are alive or dead because it does not belong to you but the one who is eternal. This will explain why people can sense thoughts of others and know the future because all minds are connected to the one "True Mind" and through this your thoughts can be known. A seer is allowed to tap this reservoir of knowledge and consciousness. What you and I have is a ego-mind and it is connected to the subconscious Mind which is The Supreme One's. The subconscious mind is not your own. If you were to go into a coma may continue to live without life support by the subconscious mind. That's another way of saying "God is keeping him Alive."This is why I say you didn't understand. Please do not be offended. I speak the truth to you.

September 14, 2013 at 12:37 am |
    • AE

The study of science and history doesn't lead all people to atheism.

September 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
      • Apple Bush

Then they must have skipped class.

September 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
        • AE

Are you a well respected member of any scientific and/or historical communities? Do you work professionally in any of the 2 fields?

September 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
      • In Santa we trust

How could it not when it puts the majority of the bible in doubt and actually disproves the "superpower credentials" in the foundational chapter of Genesis; without that god has nothiing.

September 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
        • AE

That is a personal opinion, not an absolute truth, Santa.

September 13, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

Scientific fact dispels the foolish notion of one pair of ancestors who might have gotten an invisible disease (sin) in an invisible body part (soul) and passed it on invisibly to all their decedents. Scientific fact dispels the foolish notion of any global flood. Scientific fact dispels these foolish foundational notions and many more. Anybody can believe anything by utilizing "faith."

September 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm |

CO

It is an origin story about our relationship with our Creator.

It speaks to our heart and our mind. And to our soul.

It is about what makes us human beings (and not logical beings).

September 13, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

"heart" and "soul" are philosophical concepts. Why must the god believer always resort to emotion and empty rhetoric?

September 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

What you are, AE, is a sort of machine that uses logic and an expectation of order to synthesize a world from sensory input that it can interact with. Self aware because it, you that is, is itself part of that world. There's no soul – nothing independent of your biology.

September 13, 2013 at 11:17 pm |
        • AE

I'm not a heartless, soulless machine.

I'm a human being created in the image of our Maker.

And I believe within you is a heart and soul.

September 13, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

If you mean emotions and (let's call it) an emotional life, then, to be sure, I do have that. But it depends on my biology and there's nothing eternal about it – no soul. Do you claim to be different in this? In what regard? How do you know?

September 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm |
        • fred

Tom Tom
          " nothing independent of your biology."
          =>wishful thinking at best as there is no evidence to support this claim. It is an assumption that thought is comprised of positive and negative charged particles thus reducing the unknown into a physical form you can comprehend. This insistence that the only thing which exists is material is the key problem with philosophical naturalism. Your belief that deductive reasoning is the result of particle (A) mysteriously acting upon particle (B) reduces the mind to dependence upon a particle that itself has reason or cognizant capacity. That takes a lot of faith to swallow as the science in not with you on that one and neither is common sense.
          =>Please do not take offense as it is not you but that silly particle connected somehow to that organic blob you call a head that I take issue with.

September 14, 2013 at 12:08 am |
        • 2Bawaken

Most people cannot see the metaphysical quality of God in creation(science) because they have spent their entire lives being permafrost by "higher" education which does not flow with the idea of a Supreme one. Science supports creation and does not contradict it. The creation story is an allegory. It is the birth of man and his fall to human "ego" as is manifested here. The King James Bible and others only include 66 books which is ironic considering there are over 500 scrolls. "They" compiled only "66". 6 is the number of imperfection and man. (This is a different topic all together) Anyone that wants to understand should read from other scrolls not find in the bible. But you should read the bible as well. The other scrolls discuss deeper things of God and consciousness awakening. Government does not want this information to be known. They would rather us argue about the fraction of the scrolls known and about science and religion, belief in god and not believing. I hope you get my drift here people. To argue about such petty things without "wanting" to really know is vanity. Those of you who believe, go on believing and may the spirit of him rest fully upon you to save you. And those who do not believe because you pineal gland is too calcified to see that our very existence is evidence, go on disbelieving. And may you find peace and not hatred. (This is my last "post" here.)

September 14, 2013 at 12:20 am |
        • AE

No, I didn't just mean emotions.

I meant that you are a being created in the image of God. And your body lives within the design (biology) put forth by God.

I know because I can see the evidence of God. And His promises come true in my life.

September 14, 2013 at 12:26 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

fred, there are, of course, things that exist outside of you that have a great deal to do with what you are – other people, for example. But you are still completely dependent on your biological part. If that goes, so do you.

September 14, 2013 at 12:26 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Well, AE, what is it that you see that constitutes evidence for your God?

September 14, 2013 at 12:28 am |

Tom, Tom, the Other One

–Well, AE, what is it that you see that consttutes evidence for your God?–

Everything. Like the testimony of an elite scientist, Lord William Kelvin, who says “I believe that the more thoroughly science is studied, the further does it take us from anything comparable to atheism.”

The more I learn about this world, the more I see God behind it all.

I've been shown a way through Jesus Christ that demonstrates there is more to life than what you claim. So much more!

September 14, 2013 at 12:41 am |
        • fred

TomTom
          No, that is your bias overriding common sense. If all is just matter (organic or inorganic) then there never was existence outside a charged particle to begin with. You do not exist outside of that charged particle. If that is your position then yes when you die the particle changes form. That particle has neither been created or destroyed it simply changed form. The good news is you are eternal the bad news is you are in material (sp).

September 14, 2013 at 12:44 am |
        • 2Bawaken

The very fact that AE says he "sees" evidence in his life is good. Do not mock him for that people. God is going to restore what was lost in ancient times. May he find many like AE who give declaration of their faith. I hope when that time arrives many of you can see the Supreme One in a way that helps you also to believe. The story of the Prodigal Son is the hidden truth about Mankind's Spirit partaking of "ego" and leaving the Kingdom of Spirit to make his own way in a realm of chaos (foreign country). Many manifest that spirit today. But many shall come to know themselves and return to The Eternal Spirit. When he arrives in the new Age to Come he will reward the "Living" of spirit who now reside in flesh.

September 14, 2013 at 12:47 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Kelvin's testimony is not evidence. It may be a claim like the one you have made that you have seen evidence of your God. What have you seen that points to your God only? That can't do otherwise than support your God's existence?

September 14, 2013 at 12:47 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I don't suppose you've ever been under deep anesthesia have you fred? In that state your biology is no longer supporting what you think of as yourself. Imagine that state does not end – no you. What in your experience suggests that death is not like that?

September 14, 2013 at 12:52 am |
        • 2Bawaken

(I posted this earlier) You see, the subconscious mind exist rather you are alive or dead because it does not belong to you but the one who is eternal. This will explain why people can sense thoughts of others and know the future because all minds are connected to the one "True Mind" and through this your thoughts can be known. A seer is allowed to tap this reservoir of knowledge and consciousness. What you and I have is a ego-mind and it is connected to the subconscious Mind which is The Supreme One's. The subconscious mind is not your own. If you were to go into a coma may continue to live without life support by the subconscious mind. That's another way of saying "God is keeping him Alive."This is why I say you didn't understand. Please do not be offended. I speak the truth to you.

September 14, 2013 at 12:54 am |

Tom

I trust Kelvin's opinion about science over your opinion on science.

The sum total of my experiences in life point to God.

And the evidence that God gives me is greater than the evidence you give me.

So I'm going to continue to trust in God. And not in the way of a man who spends way too much time trying to disprove God on a "faith and belief" blog.

September 14, 2013 at 1:01 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I don't intend to mock you, 2Bawaken, but I do see that you have a lot of things going on in you that have no logical or evidence-based underpinnings. It all sounds good as a collection of ideas that would be fun if they were true, but it's not enough for things to just sound like they ought to be true.

September 14, 2013 at 1:03 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I'm sorry, AE, but this does seem like a good place to discuss faith and belief.

September 14, 2013 at 1:05 am |
        • 2Bawaken

Tom, I have seen things that have happen before they happened. I know it was not my mind that saw these things but they were given to me. In some I benefited or others benefited and when no one benefited it was because I allowed "my" ego to doubt what I had seen, I was reluctant to act. I could go into detail but there is no need. If you don't believe that God is controlling the breath you are breathing at this "very second" as physical evidence how will you believe his unseen evidence. You did not tell yourself to breathe but God controls even your breathe. So it is not me you mock, friend, it is HE.

September 14, 2013 at 1:15 am |
        • fred

Tom Tom
          In the beginning the Sprit of God hovered over the deep ....let there be light and there was
          The Holy Spirit hovered above Mary and the Power of the Spirit of God entered in Jesus
          Jesus said you must be born again not of flesh and blood but of the Spirit

Notice that in all cases it was the physical that came to life when the Spirit was breathed upon it. So it is with the biological forms that are but organic matter and chemical stimuli until acted up by the Spirit. We can see the physical form of the anaesthetized yet with the exception of a few cases the experience is not recalled by the patient. This would argue for the spirit being separate as well as being part of the biological. Unfortunately, I was not one of those who observed their operation while floating above the room.

September 14, 2013 at 1:16 am |
        • 2Bawaken

Leave Tom alone. He is a curious man who is looking for something greater to believe in. I have been there. May you find it in an unlikely simple place. Those sometimes have the greatest impact.

September 14, 2013 at 1:21 am |
  2. Apple Bush

Yom Kipper is better than having a girlfriend who's roommates walk around the house naked. All the time.

September 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
  3. 2Bawaken

In the Tanakh, the evil spirit in the wilderness to whom a scapegoat was sent on the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) was named Azazel. The wilderness is our world. The evil spirit in our world is the Satan in Christianity, Azazel/ in Judaism, (some have referred to him as Samael) Ibliss the Djinn in Islam, Mara in Buddhism so forth and so on. The truth is every ancient civilization tells the story of the Fall of Man and his banishment from Purity into the Wilderness of the Domain of the Wicked One. One goat had the sins of men placed upon it and was sacrificed. It died yet was an unblemished goat and redeemed all whose sins were placed upon it. Because it was a clean goat, as it was, it transferred the sins (represented by the scarlet cord) to the true guilty goat, Azazel who will bare the sins of all in his destruction. The sins of man shall be transferred to this Wicked Spirit who shall perish and "faithful" men shall see eternal life.

September 13, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • 616

I think you are incorrect. The Tanakh, and more specifically the Torah, does not refer to Azazel as a spirit or demon. That came later, probably in medieval times.

September 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
      • Apple Bush

Augustine, Duke of Wellington is thought to have added his two cents when he was suffering from diphtheria once. We can't be sure what he changed.

September 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
      • 2Bawaken

Ancient names are translated from text found. Azazel means strong mighty El but with reference to mountain state to valley state, so the meaning of the name signifies fallen state. (differs from Asael) Valley is referenced as "deep", as in Abyss. It is found in ancient text and in my Tanakh. I can give you a book of Enoch reference if you like. That book dates back to 3rd century BC.

September 13, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
        • 616

The point is, the Book of Enoch isn't part of the Tanakh.
          Now if you could reference the term in the Tanakh where it is called a spirit, then you might have something.

September 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
  4. Dyslexic doG

having anyone or anything take away your bad deeds and impure thoughts is such a laughably silly story, with no basis in any sort of reality, that you wouldn't believe it unless you had had it drummed into your head since childhood.

September 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I am now esoteric in my feelings towards believers that that are agnostic, however I do believe that they are, each one, atheist. However since I am a solipsist I know they are what I want them to be, and that is comforting.

September 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
    • Vic

You are a laughably silly person. What's your point?

September 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
      • Dyslexic doG

if you missed a point that obvious, then I give up ...

September 13, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
        • 616

How predictable, you gave up on something intellectual.

September 13, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • 2Bawaken

You have free will. It will never be taken from you. But little do we realize the Eternal Pure Spirit does not support impurity indefinitely. At some point a man will choose his side. Sadly many will choose to oppose the Source of their life. Choosing to "oppose" what is truly in the "core" of you will destroy you. But it can give you eternal life when you choose the true nature hidden within you. It is written: You are gods, and all of you are sons of the most high. But you will die as men". (if you so choose) Love all because I believe that living sons, like angels, are hidden among men.

September 13, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
  5. George

I have never understood how someone killing something was ever supposed to atone for their sins. It makes absolutely no sense. I get the "blood represents life" symbology, but really? Kill a sheep to show atonement? Really weird! Can someone please explain it to me?

September 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • Ryan

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG0D3FUFkHw&w=640&h=360]

September 13, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
      • George

Thanks, Ryan–that was slightly helpful, it seems that it's just because God said that's the way to show contrition. Could've been anything, it seems. Chose a really weird way.

September 13, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • luke hildebrand

The innocent and pure blood cleanses you. Before Jesus is was young and pure/spotless animals.
      Jesus blood was 100% pure and Holy. He did not sin once.
      HE was the perfect sacrifice for all of mankinds sins.
      If someone acknowledges they are a sinner and allows the free gift of salvation/Holy blood to cover and cleanse them, THEN they are now permitted to be in the presence of God forever in heaven, John 14:6
      6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
      Have faith in Jesus and follow the commandments/teachings in the bible and you will be saved.

September 13, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
      • Rational Thought

Well done, that is a hilarious punch line. Only… you forgot to include the premiss of the entire joke.

September 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
      • Apple Bush

I bet you $100 Jesus sinned all the time. He jerked off like a typical man. Had impure thoughts. Coveted. All the usual. You know how I know this? Common sense. He fits our demographic for men because he was one, if he existed.

September 13, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
        • Vic

One should avoid absolutism, epsecially in the multiverse that we exist in. Schrödinger's Christ perhaps.

September 13, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
        • Apple Bush

Vic, there is no proof for your statement.

September 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
        • Vic

Apple Bush, there is no proof for your statement. Though I would be impressed if you could provide proof as to what a guy 2,000 years ago was doing in his spare time.

September 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
        • Apple Bush

Vic, you must be a total tard. It is not even worth replying to you as you don't read the post carefully before replying.

September 13, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
      • Thomas

That's just creepy.

September 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
  6. Answer

Religious freaks sure love making up new stories to keep themselves happily deluded.

September 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • Rational Thought

Okay, two nihilists and a Jew walk into a nonexistent bar…

September 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • 616

How is Yom Kippur "new"?
      Are you always this dumb or are you trying to get it all out of your system before the day is out?

September 13, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
  7. Who is Scapegoat Here?

people who believe in Jesus.

September 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
  8. Landru

Can anyone say PROPAGANDA

September 13, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
    • PROPAGANDA

Can anyone say Landru?

September 13, 2013 at 6:19 pm |

Godless Vagabond
      Can anyone say ?

September 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
  9. Tre

Jesus our scapegoat, made atonement for the sins of His people, so that they may be righteous before the Father in Christ.

September 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

and it's such a laughably silly story, with no basis in any sort of reality, that you wouldn't believe it unless you had had it drummed into your head since childhood.

September 13, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
      • tre

like I said, for His people. I pray You are given an ear to hear.

September 13, 2013 at 9:37 pm |
  10. BiblesMakeGoodTP

well that's it for me then, going to find a GOOD BOOK and do me some sinnin'

September 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
  11. Beloved4ever

Hebrews 10:11-12 (New International Version)

11Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12But when this priest [Jesus] had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.

Heb.9:11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here,[a] he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining[b] eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death,[c] so that we may serve the living God!

Heb. 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

September 13, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • BiblesMakeGoodTP

Do you think Superman could beat up Mighty Mouse?
      Be a good fight though!

September 13, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
  12. Apple Bush

God or the girl (or boy) of your dreams?

I will take the girl.

September 13, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  13. children of Israel

The world is waking up (Daniel 12:2) Are you with the most high God and his people (Matthew 8:11). Or are you serving Satan and your desires of, wants and needs first *Matthew 8:12*

September 13, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I am high as fuck so, yeah I guess.

September 13, 2013 at 5:40 pm |

Godless Vagabond
        How high is fuck? Is it higher than shit?

September 13, 2013 at 9:00 pm |

It's the most high.

September 13, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
    • Snow

"The world is waking up"

wasn't this written like two freaking thousand years ago? how long does it take for the waking up to complete? and when is he coming back.. sooooooooooooon.. you people have been saying that for the same two freaking thousand years now.

September 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

2 Peter 3:8 "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

So it's only been like 2 days, won't the Christians be surprised if he takes a whole week to return...

6989 AD – Christ returns to find no Christians left on the planet, in fact, all religions had dried up waiting for anything divine to happen nearly 4500 years previously. Christs response "W T F! I was only gone a week! Jeeez!"

September 13, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
        • doobzz

ROTFL!

September 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
        • Rational Thought

My goodness. If the alien half lizard yetis are still honest then the plotting of the loch ness monster and the fragile guild of the fairies and leprechauns will shine through. Ultimately it’s the blessing of the unicorns and dragons that will settle these questions. AM I RIGHT!!!!?????

September 14, 2013 at 3:38 am |
  14. Thought Purification

people who confess are known to live longer, stress free.

September 13, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Apple Bush

people who make love to Melissa Milano tend to be happier.

September 13, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • doobzz

Do you have a citation for this statement or are you just expressing an opinion.

If I say something unkind to someone, I apologize to them. We both feel a lot better. No deity required.

September 13, 2013 at 8:39 pm |
  15. QS

LMAO! Not sure what's funnier – the fact that people might actually believe this app can cleanse them of their "sins"....or the fact that people might actually believe that a public confession can cleanse them of their "sins"!

They're both pretty laughable when you consider that people actually believe "sin" is a real thing to begin with!

September 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
  16. Apple Bush

Yom Kippur is better than Wendy cooking your hamburger personally in nothing but an apron, pigtails in.

Ok, she is wearing nothing at all, how about that? I know you like freckles...

September 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Rational Thought

And for all these years I believed I was the only one. I forgive you Wendy.

September 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
      • Apple Bush

Wendy is 43 years old but she still look good!

September 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
        • Rational Thought

All the right freckles in all the right places.

September 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  17. Apple Bush

I guess nothing is better than Yom Kippur!

September 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  18. Apple Bush

Yom Kippur is a lot better then a medium cooked filet full of juices and flavor.

September 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  19. Apple Bush

Yom Kippur is a lot better then giving Lucy Liu a bikini wax and bleach.

September 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • Rational Thought

The garage prior to the track is not where the real excitement occurs. In my experience, it’s taking the car out on the track to stretch her legs after rotating her tires, changing her oil and lubing her chassis that I find the most satisfying.

September 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I would rotate and lube Lucy. But Yom Kippur is better of course.

September 13, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
      • Rational Thought

Yes, you are right, Yom Kippur is better than tasting Lucy Liu’s moist skin lubed with bacon drippings.

September 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
        • Apple Bush

We need to stop talking about Lucy Lui. I am getting a semi.

September 13, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
        • doobzz

@ AB

Congrats! I assume it's a Peterbilt?

September 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
        • Apple Bush

Oh, it's an 18 wheeler alright! (not)

September 13, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
        • doobzz

LOL!

September 14, 2013 at 12:48 am |
  20. children of Israel

An Android is a robot not a phone. What happen to bomb shelter drills, the Devil created fire drills instead. (Hebrews 12:29) Feed satan the truth and watch him turn on the wicked souls. (1st Timothy 5:15) Be strong be brave.

September 13, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • Nicky

...... I can't believe this, prejudiced against Ital – a Jew broad – prejudiced against Italians.

September 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • Nicky

September 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
    • Nicky

Sorry for repeating myself. It is just that I am trying to bang this broad see?

September 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • Nicky

Sorry for repeating myself. It is just that I am trying to bang this broad you know?

September 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm |