home
RSS
October 7th, 2013

Scalia says atheism 'favors the devil's desires'

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) - As the Supreme Court begins its new term Monday, the devil is not on the docket - but the Evil One apparently is on the mind of Justice Antonin Scalia.

New York magazine has published a fascinating new interview with Scalia in which the outspoken jurist tackled a number of topics. But none seemed to surprise Scalia's interviewer, Jennifer Senior, more than his views on Satan.

The interview was conducted on September 26, the 27th anniversary of Scalia's swearing-in as a justice on the high court. He is one of a record six Catholic justices on the Supreme Court.

After Scalia and Senior discussed heaven and hell (he believes in them; she doesn't), the justice said in a stage whisper, "I even believe in the devil."

"You do?" Senior replied.

"Of course! Yeah, he’s a real person. Hey, come on, that’s standard Catholic doctrine! Every Catholic believes that," Scalia said.

Senior asked Scalia if he's seen evidence of Satan's work recently.

"You know, it is curious," Scalia answered. "In the Gospels, the devil is doing all sorts of things. He’s making pigs run off cliffs, he’s possessing people and whatnot. And that doesn’t happen very much anymore. ... It’s because he’s smart."

MORE FROM CNN: How to argue about religion online

Scalia said the Devil has gotten "wilier" and convinced people that he and God don't exist. The justice added that he doesn't think that atheists are Satan's minions, but that disbelief in God "certainly favors the devil's desires."

Senior asked if it's "frightening" to believe in the devil, which seemed to annoy Scalia.

"You’re looking at me as though I’m weird," he answered. "My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the devil! Most of mankind has believed in the devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the devil."

Scalia, whose son, Paul, is a Catholic priest in Arlington, Virginia, also said Pope Francis is "absolutely" right about the church needing to concentrate more on mercy and outreach than on fighting the culture wars.

MORE FROM CNN: American Catholics agree with Pope Francis on ending culture wars

"But he hasn’t backed off the view of the church on those issues," Scalia said. "He’s just saying, 'Don’t spend all our time talking about that stuff. Talk about Jesus Christ and evangelize.' I think there’s no indication whatever that he’s changing doctrinally."

Finally, Scalia said he has not "softened" his views on homosexuality.

"I still think it’s Catholic teaching that it’s wrong. OK? But I don’t hate the people that engage in it. In my legal opinions, all I’ve said is that I don’t think the Constitution requires the people to adopt one view or the other," Scalia said.

MORE FROM CNN: Church and state, executive power on Supreme Court docket

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Catholic Church • Courts • Culture wars • Devil • Pope Francis

soundoff (3,730 Responses)
  1. NickZadick

Maybe in your land of fairy tales this sounds normal...

But from outside the United States of myths and parables...

You really look like credulous infantile morons!

October 8, 2013 at 8:11 am |
    • choptop

Riiiiight, because no other countries have religious underpinnings....

October 8, 2013 at 8:28 am |
      • MarkinFL

Just as Children believe in Santa, but Europe has mostly grown up. When can we grow up?

October 8, 2013 at 8:44 am |
    • Anonymous

Lol how does this look wierd to the outside world? The whole basis for European monarchy is a concept called Divine Right. Literally meaning that the European monarchs believe God or a god/s gave them the divine right to rule over their subjects. The concept of an Emperor, as put forth by Augustus is that the Emperor is literally a god. In the far east where there is still monarchy, for instance Thailand, the right to rule is based of the Confucian concept called the Mandate of Heaven, which is basically the same thing as Divine Right, minus the deities. In the Middle East many leaders either use the Divine Right concept or they use the right to rule based off of being a descendant of Ali (in Shia) or that Abu Bakr was the correct successor of Muhammad (in Sunni.) Many of the African "kings" and tribal chieftains also naturally draw upon their own spiritual traditions to claim the right to rule. In India the caste system put forth by hinduism controls not only your opportunity to lead, but also your place in lower society as well. In Latin America good luck getting elected without being catholic lol, though latin america has also had "emperors" (for instance Brazil) who claim themselves either to have Divine Right or that they themselves are living gods (standard concept of emperor.) There's more examples all very interesting in and of themselves, but I think you get the point

October 8, 2013 at 8:34 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

To be fair though, monarchism is more of a cultural/traditional thing these days in Europe and, for the most part, their power is ceremonial at best.

October 8, 2013 at 8:39 am |
        • Anonymous

Lol typical European trying to downplay your own culture lol. Spirituality is not at all lost in Europe. For example Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the Church of England. She also gets to appoint the Archbishop of Cantebury. But honestly, the British anthem probably is the best example lol, God save the Queen, right? The monarchs still have power, jeez, even in North America Britain still owns Canada for all intents and purposes.

Not that I am trying to criticize, I personally think it is both culturally exciting, makes research interesting, and is quite funny that most Europeans are atheist, but that they are very loyal to their monarchs whose whole power is based upon the concept of Divine Right. Also quite humorous that about every European monarch also can be fairly tied to the occult via their symbols, words, oaths, and an very interesting fact that during the Inquisition era most European monarchs ordering the Inquisition actually themselves had court wizards (for instance John Dee for Queen Elizabeth or the Black Monk Torquemada for Queen Isabella.)

I want to amend my statement. I can see how the world thinks America is wierd. It is after all a very wierd world lol. But hey that's half the fun right?

October 8, 2013 at 8:52 am |
  2. revolting peasant

I have noted that the people who demand tolerance are intolerant of religious beliefs. They think everyone should be free to believe what they want to believe, but they don't respect religious beliefs. Granted, I'm one of those tolerant people who think believing in make believe angels and demons is downright silly.

October 8, 2013 at 8:08 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Humans are disingenuous by nature.

October 8, 2013 at 8:10 am |
    • NickZadick

Of course people are intolerant to organised religion... The concept is utterly ridiculous and deserves absolutely no respect whatsoever!

October 8, 2013 at 8:16 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

I respect organized religion as long as it exists within its own jurisdiction.

October 8, 2013 at 8:31 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care

If religion had something to respect then it might be a different story.

October 8, 2013 at 8:17 am |
    • Chris

I think you misunderstand. I don't have to respect your belief, but I respect and will defend your right to a belief.

Silly things are meant to be laughed at, and chances are, IF you are religious...you hold some silly beliefs.

October 8, 2013 at 8:34 am |

Hear, hear.

October 8, 2013 at 8:36 am |
  3. Susan Brown

I am a 62 year old Catholic lawyer. I attend Mass every week. I voted for President Obama twice, and support him. I do not make fun of Scalia's belief in the devil. In fact, I think the devil is quite thrilled with Scali's rulings as a Supreme Court justice.

October 8, 2013 at 8:04 am |
    • Honey Badger Don't Care

Good thing you didn't have to take any science classes to get your law degree. Sux that there are people out there that are so warpped that are are practicing law.

October 8, 2013 at 8:15 am |
  4. GOLON MOHAMMER

both biden and obama are christians who believe in satan

so does hillary clinton, she is a christian

October 8, 2013 at 8:03 am |
    • midwest rail

That's wonderful. Are you done with misrepresenting all Christians as young earth creationists yet ?

October 8, 2013 at 8:05 am |
      • GOLON MOHAMMER

the bible says the earth is 6000 years old, obama believes in the bible.

why sould he go against the 6000 year old earth but believe in this??

In an interview with the evangelical periodical Christianity Today, Obama stated: "I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life.

he believes he has eternal life like a vampire but you are saying he is to smart to believe in the 6000 year old earth?

October 8, 2013 at 8:10 am |
        • midwest rail

Once more – not all Christians believe in a young earth, nor do they all believe that dinosaurs and men coexisted. Please cite the passage where the bible states the age of the earth.

October 8, 2013 at 8:13 am |
        • elliott carlin

Obama can say all he wants about being a Christian, but he's far from it. Like Joe Biden saying he's honest.

October 8, 2013 at 8:21 am |
        • ThinkRationally

Could you point to the verse in the bible where it says the Earth is 6000 years old? No? That's because there's no such verse. The "biblical" age of the Earth has been calculated by many people over the years. Perhaps you are thinking of Ussher's calculation that put creation at 4004BC? There are many such calculations, though. I wonder why they all differ if the bible is so clear on this?

October 8, 2013 at 8:31 am |
        • Marc

For one ... bible says nothing about the age of the earth. Secondly .... In the 1950 Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces. This has been refined and confirmed by several of the Pops up to and including Pope John Paul II. This has been upheld by the opinions of many Catholic Scholars withing the Vatican and without. The last time I checked ... a Catholic is a Chirstian ... and their church has sided with evolution ... whick, in and of itself ... contradicts the "young earth" theory.

October 8, 2013 at 8:41 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

The largest Christian denomination in the world – 1.2 billion Catholics – aren't Young Earth Creationists.
          It might've taken them 300 years, but they finally admitted that maybe Copernicus had a point.
          It's pretty well only crackpot American denominations, like the Baptists, who cling to Biblical Literalism these days.

October 8, 2013 at 8:44 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

According to a Gallup poll of voter preferences, the same percentage of people who are opposed to an atheist taking office (46%) were against the idea of a female president in 1958.
      Today, 95% of people wouldn't think twice about the gender of a candidate.
      The zeitgeist is moving slowly but inexorably towards religion being irrelevant for public office – which is the way it should be – but politicians still need to appease the electorate by putting on at least a superficial air of Christianity.

October 8, 2013 at 8:20 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

If Clinton and Palin are the only viable options, I too opposed to a female president.

Although with Obama and Romney being the choices in the last election, I'm pretty much opposed to a male president also.

October 8, 2013 at 8:26 am |
  5. ?

If Ron Paul became President would Justice Scalia become his Otto Georg Thierack?

October 8, 2013 at 7:59 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Ron Paul is the least fascistic politician of any notability in the country.

October 8, 2013 at 8:01 am |
      • Ken

The same Ron Paul who supports racists and holocost deniers?

October 8, 2013 at 8:11 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

If you're referring to those newsletters, that was just a ploy to boost sales. He's nothing if he's not a shrewd businessman.

When it comes to promoting actual liberty, not the 'liberty' of the average Dem/Republican, Ron is the boss.

October 8, 2013 at 8:20 am |
        • ?

To qualify a bit, liberty for white, straight and god fearing men and woman that believe as he does, I am good with that.

October 8, 2013 at 8:33 am |
      • ?

Reference from Wiki for what it is worth.
        In December 2011, with Paul's increased support, the controversy over allegedly racist and hom.ophobic statements in Ron Paul's newsletters in the 1980's and early 1990's once again gained media attention.
        Like a cuttlefish politicians will often change to fit the environment they find themselves occupying. On a scale of 1 to 10.....

October 8, 2013 at 8:23 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

"Like a cuttlefish politicians will often change to fit the environment they find themselves occupying."

You'll get no argument from me on that one. As I've said already, humans are disingenuous by nature.

Currently though, Ron Paul is one of the few politicians who seems to argue for genuine freedom, the good and the bad of it, without an overarching government putting red tape around everything.

October 8, 2013 at 8:29 am |
  6. A Dose of Reality

Disgusting. A man in his position believing in religious delusions. No wonder this country is going down the cr*apper.

October 8, 2013 at 7:56 am |
    • GOLON MOHAMMER

none of the other supreme court justices are atheist,

obama is a born again christian and pray to magick men.

not one democrat in office is an atheist.

so why the complaint about scalia?

October 8, 2013 at 7:58 am |
      • Peteyroo

GollyMaHummer, you present false arguments based and phony beliefs concerning the religious thoughts of elected officials. The smart ones pretend to be religious while the fools are religious.

October 8, 2013 at 8:03 am |
        • GOLON MOHAMMER

you have not provided any evidence anyone is pretending.

you simply want to believe they are pretending because you cant come to grips with the fact you vote for people who believe in fairy tales.

October 8, 2013 at 8:05 am |
      • OKfine

Politicians can come out of the closet now if they are gay/lesbian. It is still political suicide to come out as an atheist so many are probably cafeteria religious believers, go along to get along.

October 8, 2013 at 8:06 am |
  7. Reality # 2

Satan, a modern day demon of the demented. What does that say about Judge Scalia? Of course, Obama, Biden and most of Congress also believe in Satan which explains a lot.

October 8, 2013 at 7:56 am |
  8. GOLON MOHAMMER

oddly enough, the same people who make fun of this probably voted for OBAMA.

who has stated he has the same powers of a vampire. (eternal life)

believes a zombie saved him from his sins.

asks people to pray to sky fairys after theater shootings.

took his oath of office on a 2000 year old fairy tale book which he believes in.

the democratic national convention voted not to mention god.

he overruled it and they were spouting bible verses right and left at the DNC like it was a convention of ancient goat herders.

HOW MANY OF YOU MAKING FUN OF THE BELIEFS OF THE CATHOLICS ARE DEMOCRATS AND VOTED FOR OBAMA?

ARE NOT HIS BELIEFS JUST AS STRANGE?

October 8, 2013 at 7:54 am |
    • Moonraker

Obama has to pretend to be religious because so many American still embrace make-believe. You're right, I'm an atheist and I voted for Obama. I don't need Obama to take advice from an imaginary person.

October 8, 2013 at 7:58 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Have you any evidence to support Obama not being a Christian?

October 8, 2013 at 7:59 am |
      • GOLON MOHAMMER

i notice a lot of liberals like to believe this. there brains can't accept their leader prays to magick men

you are making stuff up. obama never said he is pretending.

and he went to a xtian church for 20 years before getting elected president.

that quite a ruse he put on according to you.

October 8, 2013 at 8:00 am |
      • Anonymous

I am not sure or not if Obama really is a Christian. That is open for fair debate. However, you cannot deny that Obama is into spirituality. Obama has claimed to have read the Bible, Quran, and Bhagavad Gita. Obama has attended the druidic Bohemian Grove like every president since Herbert Hoover. Obama has prayed at the Wailing Wall during the 2008 campaign. Obama also visited Egypt and the Pyramids when he first became President and expressed an interest and a fair bit of knowledge about egyptian mythology. He has also given speeches on islam, and of course has step-father from Indonesia was a muslim.

True, Obama might not be a Christian. However, you cannot claim that Obama is not spiritual, the burden of proof that Obama is spiritual is overwhelming by his own words and actions. This is not a bad thing either. There are just some things that atheism or strict science cannot explain or even deal with. Science by its definition is merely the study of the Material world with Physical experimentation. For high political office in particular you especially need a leader that is knowledgable about spirituality, because there is more to the world than just the Material.

October 8, 2013 at 8:20 am |
        • MarkinFL

That makes him a good politician, not spiritual. Many people attend church all their lives for social reasons. And there is no actual evidence of another world beyond the material world which is quite mysterious and wonderful enough without making up more stuff.

October 8, 2013 at 8:48 am |
        • Anonymous

To Markin–
          Lol it does make him a good politician indeed! However it also is a good indicator that Obama is a believer in a form of spirituality. Which form of spirituality is probably the better debate. As for a world beyond this world, why even go that far? There are many non-Material aspects, mysteries, and facets of this world the science cannot explain, and there always have been. Even the concept of religion, philosophy, imagination, free will, etc. are non-Material aspects of our world which cannot be explained by science. The uncanny coincidences of the curses related to opening egyptian tombs is another fun example. Of course you could get into the more flavorful new age discussion on UFOs also for just another example of the non-Material in this world. The Material aspects of this world are indeed quite full of amazement. Likewise the deep mysteries of the non-Material aspects of this world are also sources of great amusement without making anything up at all.

I enjoyed your comment sir/ma'am!

October 8, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • sciencelady

Considering Obama's father was an atheist and his mother was an agnostic, Obama really disappointed me with his public display of belief in God and funding faith-based initiative.
      I'm not sure which is more distasteful, the president being a true believer, or a lying agnostic.

October 8, 2013 at 8:06 am |
      • MarkinFL

He would not be president if he did not profess a faith. That is reality. At least he shows evidence of rational thought, unlike congress.

October 8, 2013 at 8:50 am |
    • yelram4life

Don't you have to work or something instead of sitting here trying to construct intelligent sounding sentences with the only big words you know and Yoda like prose?

October 8, 2013 at 8:08 am |
  9. MarkinFL

Wow, so much for the last bastion of intelligence. R.I.P SCOTUS

October 8, 2013 at 7:53 am |
  10. Peteyroo

Scalia needs to come clean and admit that Satan is his father.

October 8, 2013 at 7:45 am |
  11. Peteyroo

Really? And how about unicorns, leprechauns, the Easter Bunny and Santa? Do they also exist?

October 8, 2013 at 7:41 am |
    • MarkinFL

In congress. And Scalia believes in all of them.

October 8, 2013 at 8:45 am |
  12. Apple Bush

1. Can't sleep
    2. I hope I am alive when we discover another universe
    3. Scalia is a prick

October 8, 2013 at 7:39 am |
    • TheScientist

They already have... scientist have proved that its not a matter of another universe but in fact we live in the Multiverse. Think of the Universe as a fractal, solar systems make up galaxies, galaxies make up the universe, and there are other universes out there and you put them all together and get the multiverse. You If you keep moving outwards you essentially keep achieving the same structure just on a larger scale.

October 8, 2013 at 8:11 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Proved is a very strong word. Hypothesized is probably the most accurate description of scientific appraisal of the multiverse.

October 8, 2013 at 8:22 am |
  13. GOLON MOHAMMER

so people think he should not be a supreme court justice because he believes in satan? this offends liberals?

the definition of liberal says liberals are tolerant of religion. the modern liberal is not.

should Obama be president because he believes in the same things as scalia? Obama is a born again christians who believes in satan and magical beings he prays to.

is that okay? should a president be praying and talking to imaginary beings?

ARE NOT HIS BELIEFS JUST AS STRANGE?

October 8, 2013 at 7:38 am |
    • Peteyroo

GollyMaHummer, Satan does not exist. If Scalia said the earth was flat and unicorns roamed the earth, would love him as much? Or would you think he was crazy?

October 8, 2013 at 7:40 am |
      • GOLON MOHAMMER

i am an atheist, i find any belief like this odd.

but i notice liberals will not mock obama for being a born again christian.

peteyroo are you against obama because he prays to magick man in sky?

October 8, 2013 at 7:43 am |
        • Peteyroo

I am not against Obama in any way. I voted for him twice. I hope he's faking the "born again" crap. Could anyone get elected president as an atheist? Of course not. Too many stupid voters.

October 8, 2013 at 7:54 am |
    • James

It doesn't just effect "liberals", it effects anyone with 1/2 a brain.

October 8, 2013 at 7:42 am |
      • GOLON MOHAMMER

i are you suggesting people who believe in religion have lower IQ's?

obama is a born again christian, every democrat in congress is a christian. who prays to magick man in sky. and believes earth is 6000 years old

October 8, 2013 at 7:45 am |
        • JCS

!!!!! ADULTS WITH IMAGINARY FRIENDS ARE STUPID !!!!!

October 8, 2013 at 7:53 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Deluded, not stupid. There are plenty of smart theists.

October 8, 2013 at 7:57 am |
        • yelram4life

I would argue that. yes.

October 8, 2013 at 8:00 am |
        • Infidel-!

Yes, it has been shown that religious people are on average less intelligent than atheists. You seem surprised.

October 8, 2013 at 8:10 am |
        • Frank

Uhh they do... Recent results from Miron Zuckerman and Jordan Silberman from Rocherster University (New York) who went through 63 studies from 1928 to 2012 do prove that It was in Personality and Social Psychology review. Just google "miron zuckerman religion study" and you'll find tons of links with the details.

October 8, 2013 at 8:15 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Please explain how liberalism equates to religion/irreligion/atheism?

October 8, 2013 at 7:44 am |
    • stevepatt46

Christianity as well as all other religions are founded on myth,fantasy and fiction. Scalia is not qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice if he bases his convictions on fictional characters.

October 8, 2013 at 7:44 am |
      • GOLON MOHAMMER

is obama fit to be president since he is a born again christian?

October 8, 2013 at 7:46 am |
        • Peteyroo

He is not a Christian, much less "born again." He's too smart to admit it. It's a requirement of higher office to be a phony Christian.

October 8, 2013 at 7:56 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

You have no evidence that Obama isn't a Christian.

October 8, 2013 at 7:58 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

That doesn't make him unqualified. I base my convictions on Mosey the Pirate, does that mean I'm not qualified to be a judge?

October 8, 2013 at 7:47 am |
        • GOLON MOHAMMER

obama bases his convictions on jesus and the bible.
          anyone who believes in religion is influenced by it.

should obama be president since he believes dinosaurs lived with man?

October 8, 2013 at 7:49 am |
        • GOLON MOHAMMER

what are the qualifications to be a supreme court judge?

there are none.

so you are way out there in left field

October 8, 2013 at 7:50 am |
        • midwest rail

Not all Christians believe in a young earth, nor do they all believe dinosaurs lived with men.

October 8, 2013 at 7:51 am |
      • Anonymous

So I suppose you would advocate impeaching Obama then.

October 8, 2013 at 7:47 am |
      • magnum12

So only atheists should serve as President or on the Supreme Court? That would disqualify most people who have or are serving in those positions. And I thought that liberals were tolerant of other peoples beliefs. Silly me.

October 8, 2013 at 7:51 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

How does liberalism equate to atheism/irreligion?

October 8, 2013 at 7:56 am |
        • Peteyroo

Magma12, there are a great many phony Christians in public office because they know that stupid voters expect them to be religious.

October 8, 2013 at 7:58 am |
        • Peteyroo

Miasma12, it would actually be nice to see all elected officials be atheists. The burden of religion would be lifted from the shoulders of the world.

October 8, 2013 at 8:01 am |
    • View to a Kill

Well I think it's kind of strange he believes in the devil but not in actual innocence. That is kind of peculiar.

October 8, 2013 at 7:55 am |
  14. GOLON MOHAMMER

TEST

October 8, 2013 at 7:34 am |
  15. cary shackelford

The tooth fairy was my dad

October 8, 2013 at 7:33 am |
  16. james Pfeiffer

Another perfect example of why we are in trouble in this country. Scalia is also the one who led the other justices in the "corporations are a person" decision which is probably the single most destructive assault on democracy in our short history. This man is a bonafide wacko. Growing up, I always thought that the supreme court justices were supossed to be the most objective, wise and anti-partison of all the branches of the government...I guess in some ways I was a delusional as Scalia!

October 8, 2013 at 7:27 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

"which is probably the single most destructive assault on democracy in our short history."

How?

October 8, 2013 at 7:31 am |
  17. Ron

For me, to believe in a supernatural being that decides our fate, takes blind devotion since there isn't any proof. If everyone was wiped off of the planet and humans eventual came back, they would come up with a whole new religious nonsense. However, they would eventually figure out science and the laws of nature since these don't change. If he believes in Satan and God, that does not matter to me. What matters is that he can make sound judgments. I also believe evil does exist, but that does not take believe in magical beings.

October 8, 2013 at 7:26 am |
    • CaptainRon

You can actually trace the root of all religions back to Neanderthals. Before man could understand such things as the wind, rain, thunder and fire, he created in his mind the existence of gods so that these mysteries of life had some rationale. Later, as man began to understand these things, he moved on to more existential notions that there must be a god to explain our very existence. For some, having a god to pray to in times of trouble gives their life meaning and comfort.. For me, it seems silly.

October 8, 2013 at 7:43 am |
  18. Ace

Beelzebub has a devil put aside for him....for HIMMMM.......FOR HIMMMMMMMMMM!

October 8, 2013 at 7:25 am |

I couldn't resist.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIp5QC8Reso&w=640&h=360]

October 8, 2013 at 7:28 am |
    • 4kids

So you think you can stomp him and spit in eye?

October 8, 2013 at 7:38 am |
  19. miguel

To believe in the existence of the devil is part of Jewish, Christian and Islamic faith.

Obviously there are plenty of atheists here. To deny the existence of Satan and oppose those who profess a faith in God is to do exactly what the devil would want.

October 8, 2013 at 7:24 am |
    • sparky

Tell me how many wars were started and how many people were murdered in the name of Satan Mikey

October 8, 2013 at 7:28 am |
      • mlg4035

You guessed right, sparky! ZERO!!!

October 8, 2013 at 7:43 am |
      • magnum12

All wars are started by satanic people who pretend to believe in God. That is what makes Satan so deceiving and powerful. He has deceived you. I rest my case.

October 8, 2013 at 7:45 am |
        • Hey! You!

Like the American Revolution?

October 8, 2013 at 8:12 am |
    • John Weiss

Lol jews do not believe in the devil.

October 8, 2013 at 7:31 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

I'm pretty sure Satan/Lucifer exists in Jewish mythology, it's just he's an agent of Yahweh rather than an adversary.

October 8, 2013 at 7:34 am |
        • John Weiss

He exists as satan in the book of job as an angel and is only found in that book. Satan in Judaism is simply a metaphor for bad intentions. We do not, however, believe in the devil.

October 8, 2013 at 7:39 am |

Duly noted.

October 8, 2013 at 7:43 am |
  20. Epidi

Just die and go to your heaven already. geez!

October 8, 2013 at 7:23 am |