home
RSS
October 7th, 2013

Scalia says atheism 'favors the devil's desires'

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) - As the Supreme Court begins its new term Monday, the devil is not on the docket - but the Evil One apparently is on the mind of Justice Antonin Scalia.

New York magazine has published a fascinating new interview with Scalia in which the outspoken jurist tackled a number of topics. But none seemed to surprise Scalia's interviewer, Jennifer Senior, more than his views on Satan.

The interview was conducted on September 26, the 27th anniversary of Scalia's swearing-in as a justice on the high court. He is one of a record six Catholic justices on the Supreme Court.

After Scalia and Senior discussed heaven and hell (he believes in them; she doesn't), the justice said in a stage whisper, "I even believe in the devil."

"You do?" Senior replied.

"Of course! Yeah, he’s a real person. Hey, come on, that’s standard Catholic doctrine! Every Catholic believes that," Scalia said.

Senior asked Scalia if he's seen evidence of Satan's work recently.

"You know, it is curious," Scalia answered. "In the Gospels, the devil is doing all sorts of things. He’s making pigs run off cliffs, he’s possessing people and whatnot. And that doesn’t happen very much anymore. ... It’s because he’s smart."

MORE FROM CNN: How to argue about religion online

Scalia said the Devil has gotten "wilier" and convinced people that he and God don't exist. The justice added that he doesn't think that atheists are Satan's minions, but that disbelief in God "certainly favors the devil's desires."

Senior asked if it's "frightening" to believe in the devil, which seemed to annoy Scalia.

"You’re looking at me as though I’m weird," he answered. "My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the devil! Most of mankind has believed in the devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the devil."

Scalia, whose son, Paul, is a Catholic priest in Arlington, Virginia, also said Pope Francis is "absolutely" right about the church needing to concentrate more on mercy and outreach than on fighting the culture wars.

MORE FROM CNN: American Catholics agree with Pope Francis on ending culture wars

"But he hasn’t backed off the view of the church on those issues," Scalia said. "He’s just saying, 'Don’t spend all our time talking about that stuff. Talk about Jesus Christ and evangelize.' I think there’s no indication whatever that he’s changing doctrinally."

Finally, Scalia said he has not "softened" his views on homosexuality.

"I still think it’s Catholic teaching that it’s wrong. OK? But I don’t hate the people that engage in it. In my legal opinions, all I’ve said is that I don’t think the Constitution requires the people to adopt one view or the other," Scalia said.

MORE FROM CNN: Church and state, executive power on Supreme Court docket

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Catholic Church • Courts • Culture wars • Devil • Pope Francis

soundoff (3,730 Responses)
  1. AE

God is concerned about our hearts – that is, our thoughts, intentions and desires. Many times these things are only known by our self and God.

Jesus was constantly critical of first-century religious leaders because many pretended to honor God externally, but deep within their hearts were filled with greed.

This hypocrisy is not suitable for God's people. God desires integrity between our hearts and our actions.

October 8, 2013 at 10:41 am |
    • Apple Bush

Nothing has changed AE. Look around for once.

October 8, 2013 at 10:47 am |
      • AE

If we follow Jesus and do what He asks, we have to power to not be another example of religious hypocrisy.

October 8, 2013 at 10:51 am |
        • ooo

You seem to have powers that no one else does... you know what god thinks and wants. You should be president of the World!

October 8, 2013 at 10:59 am |
        • Apple Bush

If he asked me something I will answer. After I come to.

October 8, 2013 at 11:00 am |
  2. Apple Bush

I trust in Paul Sorvino.

October 8, 2013 at 10:37 am |
    • UD

...and lust for Mira Sorvino.

October 8, 2013 at 10:39 am |
    • Apple Bush

Yes Paul is a smart justice. He refuses to use the telephone. And NO white powder!

October 8, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  3. Robert Brown

For all the unbelievers, God has a message for you. He says he loves you and he is anxiously waiting for you to turn to him. His son Jesus was crucified so that you could be forgiven and reconciled to him. Turn from the world, turn from satan, turn from your sin, turn to God.

October 8, 2013 at 10:37 am |
    • ME II

@Robert Brown,
      Thanks, but He's free to speak directly to me any time he wants.

October 8, 2013 at 10:38 am |
      • Robert Brown

Turn to him and he will. Seek.

October 8, 2013 at 10:42 am |
        • ME II

@Robert Brown,
          You mean metaphorically right? or are you saying that God speaks directly to you, verbally, audibly?

October 8, 2013 at 10:44 am |
    • Apple Bush

Robert, that message was from YOU, not god. I am still waiting for god to have something to say. I am not holding my breath.

October 8, 2013 at 10:38 am |
      • Robert Brown

I did type it, but if it helps please know the holy spirit of God moved me to do so. Peace.

October 8, 2013 at 10:43 am |

Those are your bowels.

October 8, 2013 at 10:44 am |
        • OKfine

Verbal flatulence typed into a blog post.

October 8, 2013 at 10:47 am |
      • bones

I'm curious... would you listen if He did?

October 8, 2013 at 10:43 am |
        • Apple Bush

Yes I would. Of course. After I came to.

October 8, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • Earthling

I suggest you pull your head out and look around. There's a whole world full of reality out here that you're missing out on.

October 8, 2013 at 10:39 am |
      • Robert Brown

I don't suppose I'm missing anything. I'm in the world, not of it.

October 8, 2013 at 10:44 am |
        • Jo

What your missing is what amazing explanations nature and science has for almost everything we see. This tyoe of thinking inhibits learning and encourages believe on bad evidence or in the case of religion, none whatsoever.

October 8, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • Betty

I might listen to God's message if he puts it in a letter in the mail to me along with some free address labels with my address on them – and they can even have some Xmas decorations on the labels. TIA

October 8, 2013 at 10:43 am |
    • OKfine

Robert Brown top of the heap of street corner prophets, an outstanding holy trollers. take a bow.

October 8, 2013 at 10:46 am |
    • Traffic

Amen!

October 8, 2013 at 10:47 am |
  4. Earthling

There is no way anyone who believes in this nonsensical fantasy should be in any position of authority. If he chooses to believe in something for which there is ZERO evidence, why in the world is he in a position where he makes decisions based on evidence? What's to stop him from making up "evidence" to support a legal position, when it's plain that he is perfectly capable of basing his worldview on something completely unrelated to reality?

October 8, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • Traffic

Did you vote? Obama? He believes in Jesus.

October 8, 2013 at 10:46 am |
      • ColoradoVet

So what if Jesus was real? Doesn't make him the son of god. It makes him a peace loving beatnic. Look at David Koresh. He claimed to be god's profit and god spoke to him and through him. If there was a god do you think he told Koresh to molest children. Take a look at the Catholic priests (otherwise known Child Molesters Anonymous.) God talks through them.

October 8, 2013 at 10:55 am |
        • Traffic

Look, Scalia believes in the tenets of his Catholic faith. Why exactly is this news? Obama prays for our country when he says, "God bless America." Obama believes that Jesus resurrected from the dead. Is this news? Nope.

October 8, 2013 at 10:59 am |
        • bones

The biggest mistake that people make is judging God and his message according to the acts of other men. Or put this way, you can not call any witnesses on your behalf when you stand before Him someday. True, the Catholic Church has issues, because they are human, but you ignore the many thousands of Catholic priests who have done wonderful things to ease suffering, offer hope and change the individual lives of people over the centuries. You just don't read about that because the anti-God movement has made an industry out of sensationalizing the failure of men.

PS, thanks for your service.

October 8, 2013 at 11:00 am |
        • ColoradoVet

Bones, you’re welcome. It was my pleasure.
          Step on soapbox.
          Yet we have organizations, The Catholic church, Family First, The Tea Party, devout in their beliefs of a god, that immediately judge other people, especially atheists, because we don’t do what they believe we should be doing. They thump their Bibles at my front door constantly. Then try to shove their doctrine down my throat. (They really freak when I start quoting the parts of the Bible they’ve forgotten about. Matthew 7:1 “Judge not lest ye be judged.” John 8:7 “Let he who is without Sin cast the first stone.” ) They pass laws based upon religion. This country was founded by people who were trying to escape religious persecution. Now it’s a country full of it.
          Step off soapbox.

October 8, 2013 at 11:51 am |
    • bones

So you propose the persecution of anyone with faith in God?

So a person who may get his guidance from the Bible (i.e. the ten commandments and the teachings of Jesus) is NOT qualified to lead, but a person who has only their own chosen set of moral guidelines... whatever that may be... IS qualified? So if there is no God, there is nothing such as right and wrong, right? So if there is no real right or wrong (because even the homicidal killer thinks they're justified) then really, then how do we develop and maintain any sense of moral integrity in our country?

I'm not saying you have to believe in God to be a good leader, but when atheists state absolutes against believers, it really smacks of hypocrisy. But then, most atheists have never really read the Bible, and they cite something read on facebook or overheard in a conversation, so they have no real understanding on the matter. I suggest reading the New Testament with an OPEN MIND... and see if Jesus is really who you think He is.

Also, I suggest reading "Evidence That Demands A Verdict" by Josh McDowell (for those of you who go along with your atheist friends in order to fit in, but deep down your spirit conflicts with the casual atheism that surrounds you.)

October 8, 2013 at 10:57 am |
  5. Traffic

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: You can know either the position or the momentum of an atomic particle but never both simultaneously. It's impossible. Oh my gosh, science can’t know everything. Science is not all knowing. Heisenberg got the Nobel Prize for this.

October 8, 2013 at 10:35 am |
    • OKfine

Did you find that in the above article or did Scalia call you up and tell you?

October 8, 2013 at 10:41 am |
      • Traffic

Scalia probably doesn't know anything about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. But it is the truth.

October 8, 2013 at 10:45 am |
        • OKfine

I guess you don't get the sarcasm. Just noticed that earlier the blog was about the article but then the likes of you Tim, Robert Brown, AE get on and just start preaching your mumbo jumbo with no regard to the topic, get it.

October 8, 2013 at 10:54 am |
      • Traffic

We're talking about the devil right? God, atheism, and why we believe or don't believe these things.

October 8, 2013 at 10:56 am |
        • OKfine

Read your post @ 10:35, not a mention of the topic in the article.

October 8, 2013 at 11:03 am |
      • Traffic

I do get the sarcasm. But I do love you. OKfine!

October 8, 2013 at 10:57 am |
    • LeRoy_Was_Here

Unlike theologians, scientists have never claimed to know everything.

October 8, 2013 at 10:47 am |
      • Traffic

But science is your god! Don't get me wrong, I love science and have studied it my whole life. But it will never be able to measure that love. More to life than measurements.

October 8, 2013 at 10:54 am |
        • ME II

@Traffic,
          Science is not a god, nor is it a belief. Science is a tool that's helps us understand the universe we live in, although it is the best and most reliable tool man have yet found, it is still just a tool.

October 8, 2013 at 11:06 am |
        • OKfine

But science is your god! how do you deduce that from his post? How very Christian reaching a conclusion without any proof.

October 8, 2013 at 11:10 am |
    • HotAirAce

And even though science may not be able to fully explain an observed phenomena, often the understanding is sufficient to make very accurate predictions. For example, even though quantum mechanics may not be fully understand, engineers use it every day to construct very complex semiconductor devices. And over time, science converges on the more correct answer. Of course, believers like to say that science is always changing the answer, but they will say pretty much anything to maintain their irrational beliefs, as demonstrated by the crap in The Babble.

October 8, 2013 at 10:56 am |
    • Tyrone Shoelaces

You are right science is not all knowing and probably never will be. But that is not evidence of a devil. There is no plausible evidence at all that these deity's exist, which is why there are no scientific theories supporting them.

October 8, 2013 at 10:59 am |
    • ME II

@Traffic,
      "Science" never claimed to know everything, such unbelievable claims are left to unbelievable characters.

October 8, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  6. Only proper healing can mend a sould possessed by the Devil!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-04VDrCbM&w=640&h=360]

October 8, 2013 at 10:35 am |
    • Bob

Benny Hinn = Fraudster Extraordinaire

October 8, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  7. Traffic

Doesn't Obama believe in Jesus. This story is not news.

October 8, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  8. matt james

This article was just MADE for the CNN commentors.

October 8, 2013 at 10:32 am |
  9. John M

If you live in the modern world and don't believe in Satan, you aren't paying attention.

October 8, 2013 at 10:31 am |
    • James

Granted but "a real person"??????

October 8, 2013 at 10:40 am |
    • InFormed

How So? The two are unrelated. One is a bronze age myth designed to create fear so that you fall into line, the other is just what most of us call reality.

October 8, 2013 at 10:44 am |
    • LeRoy_Was_Here

If you live in the modern world and aren't aware that science offers a much better approach to understanding reality than religion, you aren't paying attention.

October 8, 2013 at 10:49 am |
    • Jack

........oh the irony

October 8, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  10. Bud Evans

If I am wrong, I have lost nothing. If I am right, you have lost everything.

October 8, 2013 at 10:30 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Hello Pascal.

October 8, 2013 at 10:30 am |
      • Apple Bush

Mr. Pascal, if you are pretending to believe "just in case", clearly your god is a little smarter than that? Yes? I hope?

October 8, 2013 at 10:31 am |
        • Apple Bush

That was for Bud of course, sorry.

Oh and Bud, be sure you are IN a church when you worship but that is where gods live.

October 8, 2013 at 10:33 am |
        • Traffic

Nothing really matters, right? So why do you care so much. You can never live your philosophy. As soon as an injustice is done against you, you react not with indifference, but with the mission to right a wrong.

October 8, 2013 at 10:43 am |
        • Apple Bush

Traffic, I do. In fact I take full advantage of the legal system.

October 8, 2013 at 11:05 am |
    • OKfine

Bud
      And when you stand in front of Vishnu and he laughs at you for backing the wrong god, just as silly as your premise.

October 8, 2013 at 10:36 am |
      • Robert Brown

That is silly. If you know God and God is his name, then why on earth would you consider another, you already know God, that he is and there is no other.

October 8, 2013 at 10:40 am |
        • InFormed

Isis says you're wrong. So does Thor. Kahless said something also, but I don't understand Klingon, so who knows his position on things. Which one do YOU believe in, they are all equally plausible?

October 8, 2013 at 10:53 am |
    • Earthling

Of the thousands of gods people have made up over the centuries, how do you decide which one to believe in?

October 8, 2013 at 10:38 am |
    • InFormed

This specific argument by Pascal was shown to be actually wrong through logical thinking and reasoning.

October 8, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • Jesus Crunch

If you are right, and there is a god, why do you think you know the rules to getting in? Why would he want idiotic blind obedience? He just may pick me, as an atheist, because I am a good person because I WANT to be, while you were a good person because you were scared of the consequences. Doing the right thing because you were forced to is not really doing the right thing.

October 8, 2013 at 10:54 am |
      • bones

If you think faith is about "idiotic blind obedience," then you really have no idea what you're talking about. I don't mean to be rude, and I'm not trying to belittle you. The easy road is atheism; no accountability to anyone, really, right?

I'll state it plainly: I have discovered that the atheism generally stems from pride. People are too proud to accept that they are accountable to anyone other than themselves.

Just know that despite being forgotten, God never forgets about you, and He is always ready to accept you. But who among you has the courage to accept Him?

October 8, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  11. Apple Bush

"

Scalia says atheism 'favors the devil's desires'"

What is that thing we shouldn't do because it doesn't make sense....oh yeah, generalize (and be crazy.) That is two, can't help the second one. I am comforted that someone of "special needs" is on the bench though. Sweet.

October 8, 2013 at 10:28 am |
  12. Jack

And as a real and legal "person" Scalia has ruled that the Devil can make donations without limit to 501(c)(4) organizations.

October 8, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • Jesus Crunch

Bwahahaha, so true. If a corporation can be a person why not satan?

October 8, 2013 at 10:51 am |
  13. john

Ok, people are capable of pure "evil" acts. Saying that the Devil ( a hypothetical supernatural being) is a person is a Moronic statement, if the devil did exist it would not be a person but a supernatural being!

Stupid is as stupid does........

October 8, 2013 at 10:27 am |
    • Apple Bush

Of course not, it would be Al Pacino.

October 8, 2013 at 10:30 am |

...or Willem Defoe

October 8, 2013 at 10:34 am |
    • Bible Clown©

"a Moronic statement," You mean an actual revelation from the Angel Moroni? Well, Hallelujah!

October 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • thomas

Being=Personhood

A supernatural being is a person in the same sense a supernatural person is a being. A human is a person, but a person can be other things besides a human.

Personhood is the same as being, sir.

October 8, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
  14. Apple Bush

Two words: Ronald Reagan.

Two more: Idiot and I forgot the other one.

October 8, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • Father O'blivion

One word: Pancakes

October 8, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  15. Raoul Duke, Jr.

I wonder if he believes illness is caused by demonic possession. A lot of people smarter than he is believed THAT also.

October 8, 2013 at 10:21 am |
    • Apple Bush

Just bleed them and they will get better.

October 8, 2013 at 10:25 am |
  16. MJ

Everyone including Scalia and Obama has a choice. That's the beauty not only of America but of fundamental life. You can choose to believe in God or not, but the fact that you don't believe in God does not make it false. We must take the time to research and investigate with an open mind to see what the reality is. We must not be convinced out of popularity or majority opinion for that is superficial, it cannot be relative as there can only be one answer, and it cannot be out of convenience for that is purposeless. The Truth will reveal itself to those who search for it openly, honestly and with a sincere desire for it. God bless all of you.

October 8, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • dzerres

On the flip side, "just because you believe in God makes it true".

October 8, 2013 at 10:24 am |
      • MJ

That's the point. Where are you after your search, after your investigation. How much of the evidence for the existence or not existence of God have you looked into. It is a matter of life and death. Your search though must not be biased towards your convenience or your presuppositions. Let's ask some curious but hard questions. Without an Intelligent Design, where did time, logic or conscience come from? What about the logic of information and even the basic concept of the DNA? There is an answer for all the questions, but the real answer will only come about after a sincere search for truth, not convenience.

October 8, 2013 at 10:33 am |
        • HotAirAce

The Babble is the convenient answer. Believer: "I can't explain something so a god must have done it." Non-Believer: "I can't explain something but will keep looking for a rational answer. In the meantime, I don't know is a better answer than some god did it."

October 8, 2013 at 10:40 am |
        • AE

What make believe world do you live in where ALL believers act that way and say those things?

It is not reality.

October 8, 2013 at 10:44 am |
        • LeRoy_Was_Here

Intelligent design 'theory' is pseudo-scientific claptrap. As our courts have ruled. I know many biologists who call it 'Stupid Design Theory'.

October 8, 2013 at 10:53 am |
        • HotAirAce

All believers may not use those exact words and in fact no one may use those exact words, but it is a reasonable summation of the opposing views. As an example, you have admitted that you cannot prove your god exists but you adamantly maintain that it does. You seem incapable of admitting that there is a non-zero probability that your god does not exist. In other words, you seem incapable of saying "I don't know that any god exists."

October 8, 2013 at 11:05 am |
        • AE

I know God is real. This has been proven to me. Just because you can't see the evidence doesn't make it any less real.

October 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
        • WASP

@AE: "I admit I can't prove it to you. That is all you have asked me to do. But I can prove it to others. God bless."

ok i'm going to show you your circular logic step by step, ok. 🙂

1) "i admit i CAN NOT prove it to you." ok that means truly you have no verible proof that can be seen or tested by anyone else.

2) " i CAN prove it to others" so you do have proof that you can show others?

so which is it, you can either prove god, or not?

how's that hamster wheel of logic for you? is it fun? XD

October 9, 2013 at 7:09 am |
    • AE

Thanks for sharing, I agree.

I choose to put my trust and confidence in God today. Choosing to put my faith in my resources – money, intellect, education, power or anything else – prevents me from accessing God's power.

October 8, 2013 at 10:25 am |
    • HotAirAce

The fact that you believe in a god does not mean any god exists. Further, you don't have any evidence that any god exists. Given no evidence, after thousands of years of claims, most likely no gods exist.

October 8, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Everyone including Scalia and Obama has a choice. That's the beauty not only of America but of fundamental life. You can choose to believe in Skeletor or not, but the fact that you don't believe in Skeletor does not make it false. We must take the time to research and investigate with an open mind to see what the reality is. We must not be convinced out of popularity or majority opinion for that is superficial, it cannot be relative as there can only be one answer, and it cannot be out of convenience for that is purposeless. The Truth will reveal itself to those who search for it openly, honestly and with a sincere desire for it. Skeletor bless all of you.

October 8, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  17. Mohammed Daud

Justice Scalia is perfectly right, God has also warned us in Al-Qur'an at innumerable places that " Satan is your worst enemy, so treat him as an enemy, he only invites his adherents, that they may become companions of the blazing fire" ( Al-Qur'an 35:6)

October 8, 2013 at 10:20 am |
    • ColoradoVet

Just becaus it says it in an old book doesn't make it true nor does it mean it came from god.

Also, which god are we talking about here? Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares? Or perhaps Zues, Neptune or Vulcan? I think some worship Plutus, the god of wealth. Ra, Horus or Isis? I could go on. Back then they "believed" in all those gods like some do today. Now those gods are all "Mythological" which the god you worship today will be eventually.

October 8, 2013 at 10:34 am |
      • LeRoy_Was_Here

And we will worship Aphrodite,
        She's so powerful and mighty!
        Looking SOOO good in that nightie,
        Well, it's good enough for me!!

[Sung to the tune of 'Gimme That Old-Time Religion'.]

October 8, 2013 at 10:57 am |
  18. Fred

Gotta love the idiot contingent on the Supreme Court. Thank you republicans for handing such important duties over to such complete and total freaks.

October 8, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  19. Ann

If Scalia ever read The Crucible, he was probably rooting for the prosecution.

October 8, 2013 at 10:17 am |
  20. chuckie

How about aliens, the tooth fairy and unicorns? Surely there are people who believe as strongly about these as Scalia does about Satan, and their belief is based on anecdotal evidence with no empirical basis. Today not even all Christians believe in the existance of Satan. But, when you give the guy a good look, maybe he is on to something.

October 8, 2013 at 10:15 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Well, when you consider that there are around 60 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way alone, not believing in aliens betrays an incredible small-mindedness.

October 8, 2013 at 10:19 am |
      • ColoradoVet

AMEN!

October 8, 2013 at 10:44 am |
      • Anonymous

Lol you cannot scientifically prove the existence of aliens, and in fact all scientific research (so far) indicates that aliens do not exist. In fact if modern science is correct, it is actually more likely that aliens do not exist as much of those observable stars blew up millions of years ago with their ancient light still beaming their illusory past towards Earth and many of those Earth-like objects cannot be sceintifically confirmed as planets, nor can they be scientifically confirmed to hold life. It is also scientifically more likely if their star did not explode that it changed thousands of years back making life on nearby planets less than possible.

Though like I said in my comment to you on the last page about the limits of science, it is also quite possible that our current technological level and scientific understanding of the cosmos is totally wrong or is not at a level sufficient enough to prove or disprove alien life.

Aliens are an interesting subject though, I would suggest for you reading on the Fermi Paradox if you enjoy research and philosophy on aliens.

October 8, 2013 at 10:49 am |
        • ColoradoVet

Because Scientist are never wrong."Man will never fly" "The Earth is flat and you'll fall off of it if you go too far" "The sun and stars orbit the Earth". I had a Physics professor that flat out said that there was no way that we will ever have a transporter like in Star Trek. It just wasn't possible. But look now. Scientist, although far from transporting an entire object, have transported an atom from one place to another using a transporter. It's only a matter of time before someone is knocking at the door.

October 8, 2013 at 11:10 am |
        • *

*Scientists

October 8, 2013 at 11:28 am |
        • Anonymous

Lol I love that thinking ColoradoVet! You are correct as well. I am merely pointing out that aliens might not be real according to modern science. Like I explained though briefly in this post and a previous one to Dave, science cannot prove or disprove aliens due to our current technology and current scientific understanding being limited. You are correct though, technology can increase therefore making it more possible to do science. Your "transporter" example is an excellent example not only of the way technology restricts science, but also how new technology can give breath to new modes of scientific thinking and experimentation.

Props to you sir, I enjoyed your comment!

October 8, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
        • ME II

@ColoradoVet,
          Quantum teleportation, if that is what you're referring to, is not Transporter technology, but more like communication as it sends the state of matter but not the matter itself.

October 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm |