home
RSS
October 9th, 2013

Creationists taunt atheists in latest billboard war

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN)– A new video billboard in New York's Times Square has a message from creationists, "To all of our atheist friends: Thank God you're wrong."

The video advertisement at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue in Manhattan is one of several billboards going up this week in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, paid for by Answers in Genesis.

Answers in Genesis is best known as the multimillion-dollar Christian ministry behind the Creation Museum outside Cincinnati.

The museum presents the case for Young Earth creationism, following what it says is a literal interpretation of the book of Genesis, which says the Earth was created by God in six days less than 10,000 years ago.

Ken Ham, president of Answers in Genesis, said the idea for the advertisements came from an atheist billboard in Times Square at Christmas.

During the holidays, the American Atheists put up a billboard with images of Santa Claus and Jesus that read: "Keep the Merry, dump the myth."

“The Bible says to contend for the faith,” Ham said. “We thought we should come up with something that would make a statement in the culture, a bold statement, and direct them to our website.

"We're not against them personally. We're not trying to attack them personally, but we do believe they're wrong," he said.

"From an atheist's perspective, they believe when they die, they cease to exist. And we say 'no, you're not going to cease to exist; you're going to spend eternity with God or without God. And if you're an atheist, you're going to be spending it without God.' "

Dave Silverman, president of the American Atheists, said he felt sad for creationists when he saw the billboards.

"They refuse to look at the real world. They refuse to look at the evidence we have, and they offer none," Silverman said. "They might as well be saying, 'Thank Zeus you're wrong' or 'Thank Thor you're wrong.' "

Silverman said he welcomed another competitor to marketplace, noting that after atheists bought a billboard two years ago in Times Square that read "You KNOW it's a myth," the Catholic League purchased competing space at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel for a sign that read "You KNOW it's true."

"I would suggest, if they're actually trying to attract atheists, they should talk about proof and reason to believe in their god, not just some pithy play on words," Silverman said.

Ham says part of the goal of the campaign is to draw people to the website for Answers in Genesis, where he offers a lengthy post on his beliefs for the proof of God.

Ham insists that this campaign is in keeping with their overall mission. "We're a biblical authority ministry. We're really on about the Bible and the Gospel. Now, we do have a specialty in the area of the creation account and Genesis because that's where we say God's word has come under attack."

Ham said Answers in Genesis made the decision to split its marketing budget for the ministry between a regional campaign for the museum and this billboard campaign, rather than a national campaign.

IRS filings for the ministry in recent years have shown a yearly operating budget of more than $25 million. Ham said the marketing budget is about 2% of that, about $500,000 a year. Though they are waiting for all the bills to come due for this campaign, he said he expected it to cost between $150,000 and $200,000.

Silverman noted that his billboards were not video and cost approximately $25,000 last year.  He said another campaign was in the works for this year.

"They're throwing down the gauntlet, and we're picking it up," Silverman said, adding that his group would "slap them in the face" with it.

Ham said that despite criticism from other Christians for being negative and the usual criticisms from secularists he received on his social media accounts, the advertisements have been a success.

"We wanted people talking about them, and we wanted discussion about this. We wanted people thinking about God," Ham said.

The Creation Museum and the theory of Young Earth creationism are widely reviled by the broader science community.

In a YouTube video posted last year titled "Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children," Bill Nye the Science Guy slammed creationism, imploring parents not to teach it to their children. "We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future," he said. "We need engineers that can build stuff and solve problems."

The museum responded with its own video.

For the past 30 years, Gallup Inc. has been tracking American opinions about creationism.

In June 2012, Gallup's latest findings showed that 46% of Americans believed in creationism, 32% believed in evolution guided by God, and 15% believed in atheistic evolution.

For as long as Gallup has conducted the survey, creationism has remained far and away the most popular answer, with 40% to 47% of Americans surveyed saying they believed that God created humans in their present form at one point within the past 10,000 years.

The Creation Museum said it recently welcomed its 2 millionth visitor since its opening in 2007.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Creationism • New York • Science

soundoff (8,748 Responses)
  1. wanfuforever

Billboard flame wars. Wonderful. Online flame wars are a lot cheaper, FYI..

October 11, 2013 at 3:03 am |
  2. cnickthomas

The only regret I have being an atheist is that I'll never be able to tell Christian's "I told you so", because we will all die without ever witnessing Christ's return. Jesus is dead, he never rose from the dead. You are a bunch of gullible fools to believe that there is life after death. Go on believing. He's never coming back. I've been hearing we're living in the last days since I was a child and I haven't been a child in a very long time. Where is this God? What is his origin? God was created in the image of man to explain our existence. It is as simple as that.

October 11, 2013 at 3:03 am |
    • Opposing View

That's not saying anything. Do you really think you're the first person to feel that way? You are not. There are billions of other fools who once felt the exact same way. And guess what? They are all now in hell. And in hell, they now KNOW there's a God. Continue believing all that nonsense and you shall soon join them...

October 11, 2013 at 3:10 am |
      • OrionStyles

Telling people they are going to hell is a form of cyber bullying. Quit that nonsense.

October 11, 2013 at 3:24 am |
      • Hegemonic power

Religion is PROBABLY the most amazing construction man/womankind has ever created. Since its inception It has manged to control large masses of people while convince them what is right and wrong. Imagine if all the prophets where normal people who discovered a amazing tool to lead people. I'm just thankful their origins were rooted in good. Its a shame when then idea is used to lead people to war, murder, or even to judge others...... Personally I thankful for the flying spaghetti monster blessing us all with our own opinions. There is no right and wrong. If you believe there is.. get over yourself .

October 11, 2013 at 3:39 am |
      • Get Real

Opposing View
        " They are all now in hell."

Again, you have not provided a shred of verified evidence that such a thing ever happened... or ever will. Your wishful thinking is hideous.

October 11, 2013 at 3:40 am |
      • Sagian

You don't seem to get it. Threatening someone with "going to hell" is like threatening someone that Santa is going to put coal in their stocking.

October 11, 2013 at 3:59 am |
      • Michael

I oppose your opposing view. Step outside on a moonless and cloudless night. Show me where Heaven is. We have a pretty good understanding of what the Earth's interior looks like. Show me where Hell is. My point is that you can't for neither exists outside of one's mind. Without using the words "Bible" and "faith" prove your point. You can't. Period. And the audacity of people to think that "Heaven" and "Hell" are Earth-centric. Are you all pre-Copernicans?

October 11, 2013 at 8:15 am |
    • heather

I consider myself agnostic and don't attend church, but I'm constantly shocked by the incredible intolerance shown by atheists such as yourself – an intolerance that extends only to Christians. Why don't you wish to say 'I told you so' to Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, or anyone else? Christians are people, like you. Grow up. I also get extremely frustrated with atheists who claim they somehow know for certain that there is no higher power. Even though I'm not sure I believe one exists, there is no way to prove there is or is not a God or God-like presence in our universe. That there is or is not are decisions both based on FAITH, not FACTS.

October 11, 2013 at 3:48 am |
      • Sagian

Because Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and Jews aren't at my door once a week trying to convert me.

October 11, 2013 at 4:02 am |
      • Tammy McMillan

Heather,
        I don't think it is any worse for an Atheist to claim there is no God than for a Christian or other religion to claim there is, as a fact. As you said, Atheists don't have a certain knowledge there wasn't a deity of some sort that created our universe, but I have more respect toward them when speaking about religion & their reasons for their beliefs because a majority of them have based these facts on knowledge, science, facts, statistics, etc. Most of them know what they are talking about & have a more vast knowledge of the bible than most religious people who claim their beliefs as truths. It isn't fair to say religious people can believe in a God & an Atheist can't. As a fellow Agnostic, I do get my fair share of criticism from both sides, the religious and the Atheists. Atheists feel a lot of times that we can't make up our mind. But, to me that isn't fair. Just like you, I have no exact proof of no deities. I think it takes a big ego to say there is one or there isn't. Oh yeah, and Buddhism is not a religion. I think the reason so many Atheists are so mean, is because they have been judged for so long and completely misunderstood. I have read thousands of discussions between the two & it does get nasty on both sides. It is funny how most of the time you will the friendliest ones out there are the Agnostics. 🙂

October 11, 2013 at 4:08 am |
      • Jeff Williams

Heather, you need to check out this blog more often.

Islam is not the subject here, in this thread. "Christian creationists" is the current topic.

Believe me, Islam gets no more respect.

October 11, 2013 at 11:38 am |
  3. Neo Agnostic

Who is this "God" fella and why should I worship him?

October 11, 2013 at 3:01 am |

Anubus

October 11, 2013 at 3:57 am |
  4. Annelien

I don't think this is the best way to reach atheists by any standard! Rather dialogue with people, and use the vibrant science-religion (science-theology) dialogue to engage people instead of telling them how wrong they are! 😦

October 11, 2013 at 2:54 am |
    • GodFreeNow

By all means, educate yourself on science so you can have a better dialogue with atheists... maybe it will work. 😉

October 11, 2013 at 2:57 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Theists are most likely wrong, but they're actually criticised most often for being dishonest (they they may not know they are being dishonest). Young earth Creationism is the case in point.

October 11, 2013 at 2:58 am |
  5. Tom, Tom, the Other One

Good evening campers.

October 11, 2013 at 2:52 am |
  6. James

If the Bible is meant to be taken literally, we must a couple of questions:

1) Which VERSION of the Bible are we talking about? Considering how many times the Catholic Church has changed it, by adding, removing, or rewriting whole portions, which version is the LITERAL version ?

2) If Genesis is to be taken as factual, literal truth, then we must accept the fact that God is a malevolent being, prideful and arrogant, and prone to fits of anger so great that he calls for genocide against entire cultures on multiple occasions, sanctions, performs, and orders the murder of children, and shows favoritism to certain people based on ancenstry. Should such a begin really be worshiped, even if he were the one true God ? "Obey me and only me, or I will kill you, your family, and your entire cultural group?"

3) If the sun, moon, and stars were not made until the fourth day, how could there be evening and morning ?

Just some food for thought.

October 11, 2013 at 2:22 am |
    • devin

1. Any formal equivalence translations, as opposed to dynamic equivalence translations, have unanimity on the accuracy in usage of the original text.

2. If He really is the true creator of the universe, and all the implications involved with that reality, and has indicated He is both holy and loving, and has revealed His will, I will concur.

3. Go back and read Gen. 1 and 2, piece the puzzle together, it's really not that difficult.

October 11, 2013 at 2:33 am |

devin,

You completely failed to answer the first question.

Which is the ONE true Bible that people can buy? Which of the 30 or so in English?

October 11, 2013 at 2:38 am |
        • devin

No, actually I didn't, thus the phrase" ANY FORMAL EQUIVALENCE TRANSLATION." If you need specificity I would highly recommend the New American Standard Version or the English Standard Version. I'm not a salesman for either of these, they are just universally recognized as very readable translations that are word for word closest to the original languages.

October 11, 2013 at 2:44 am |
      • Shawn Irwin

"Any formal equivalence translations, as opposed to dynamic equivalence translations, have unanimity on the accuracy in usage of the original text." This is BS, and you know it. That is exactly why you are attempting to use wording that will confuse the average reader, you are not fooling anyone . . . . religion excels in muddling pure logic.

October 11, 2013 at 2:40 am |
        • devin

They say, " you can't fool a fool." I'll let you apply that accordingly. As for your insights, I really have no idea what on God's green earth you're talking about. Nothing conspiratorial going on here, just stating commonly accepted information.

October 11, 2013 at 2:49 am |
      • frank

so basically you are saying:
        if god says he is good , he is good and holy.. even though he: destroyed all life but a boatload, orders genocide, condones the slaughter of any ppls that will not bow to him alone, is jealous, he created satan knowing what he would become and do then loosed him on man, declared no forgiveness without blood knowing it would mean his boy would get nailed to a stick, and will eventually wage a war on all life , sending anyone who didn't worship him to eternal torment? he can do all this and still say he is incapable of doing nothing wrong because he says so? I hope you never have children.

so basically this "God" is no better than Odin, or Zeus or any other God man has worshipped. we are but playthings for their amusement and will. they can do anything to us and still claim to be holy and righteous. I studied the bible and believed its contents for a long , long time until I finally actually read it without the blinders of religion. I did not like the "God" it portrayed. the god of the bible is a megalomaniac. a sadistic and twisted being.

October 11, 2013 at 2:53 am |
        • frank

oh, and devin? it also says something about 'whoever says to his brother thou fool! (raca) is in danger of hell's fire'... .speaking of which, did you know there is no such thing as 'hell' in Judaism? that Christianity stole hell from both the greeks and Zoroastrian theology? if Christians worship the same 'god' as jews then I find it odd you cant agree on who that god is.

October 11, 2013 at 2:58 am |
        • devin

Actually, I have 4 very nice, well adjusted children, thanks for asking.

Now to your points: I understand ALL your philosophical grievances with the God revealed in the Bible, and, on a certain level can sympathize with them. Unfortunately, you conveniently leave out on small factor in your examples: the sinfulness and evil of the human heart. Did you forget to read the part where God, speaking of the human race in Noah's day, stated that the intent of every man's heart was continuously evil always? You do realize that many of these nations that God told the Israelites to destroy were exceptionally evil, as in offering child sacrifices?

October 11, 2013 at 3:05 am |
        • devin

Well Frank, you know what they say when you assume? Did I say I believe in eternal torment in hell? Where did I say that? The New Testament continually makes the comparison of two types of individuals: those that HAVE eternal life and those that DO NOT have eternal life. Probably the most quoted New Testament verse states that God loved the world so much that he gave his only son, that who ever believes in him should not PERISH but have EVERLASTING LIFE. I firmly believe that when your body dies, you will either have eternal life or you will cease existence.

October 11, 2013 at 3:13 am |
        • frank

oh I forgot.. if god says everyone and EVERYTHING on earth but a boatload was entirely evil and deserving death then it MUST be so. why? because he's god of course! you only validate my point that the bible's god is a power mad insane extremely malevolent being. so you are fine worshipping a god who slaughtered countless life forms simply because he could? of course you are. what loving parent tells their child who does bad ' I will not forgive you unless there is blood spilled'? what sick and perverse parent gives their child the free choice of a cookie or a carrot then kills them for choosing the cookie? counter point: if god is omniscient and foreknows all things from the beginning of time, then allows my birth knowing I will reject him and merit destruction, damnation, whatever... am I truly free to choose? can I choose to follow him if his knowledge is that I reject him? where is my free will then? it logically follows that god made me with the intent that I should reject him otherwise I would not. likewise could the world in "noahs" day have chosen any other path if god foreknew they would not? no. so they were all made for the sole purpose of destruction. I guess you are fine with that too. I for one can not worship such a deviant being. good thing I realized that there is no GOd. God is a product of bronze age man's fear and desire for control over the masses.

October 11, 2013 at 4:20 am |
      • Herby Sagues

If you can't formulate a response in simple words, unless you are talking about a topic that is intrinsically complex (e.g. quantum physics, electronics, international law) people have the right to assume you are trying to fool them.

That realization is what actually drove me away from religion. I realized that they were making things up when they had to express everything with grandiloquent wording and contorted expressions, and if you put everything in simple words and direct expressions, it all sounded foolish. It turns out it was.

October 11, 2013 at 3:03 am |
        • devin

Herby, you are simply confused. There was absolutely no intent to use grandiose wording for any preconceived deluding purpose. A question was posed in reference to translations. Formal vs. dynamic equivalence translations, and understanding the difference between the two, is vital when choosing the "best" translation, which is what the poster asked.

October 11, 2013 at 3:21 am |
        • devin

excuse me, I need a colonics treatment, back in a jiff 🙂

October 11, 2013 at 4:25 am |

oh my gosh! I'm about to pass a STONE!!@

October 11, 2013 at 4:26 am |
  7. Observer

wait, Topher....what?

October 11, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • Observer

Looks like faith/hharri, etc. is LYING in front of God about who he is.

October 11, 2013 at 1:55 am |

Narcissistic much?

October 11, 2013 at 4:27 am |
  8. JIm1073

Religion is on a downturn and hopefully will remain that way. At some point I will feel sorry for them cause they will be the minority but given all the evil they have put on earth I am fine with kicking them. All religion is made up, I am not saying there isn't a god, cause you can't prove that one way or another...I still lean to not real but I am keeping an open mind. What is proven is that the written man made religion is wrong and proven wrong as we become smarter and increase our ability to explain everything around us. Religion is about power and money.... they should be taxed as corporations.

October 11, 2013 at 1:52 am |
    • AE

I follow Jesus. I try to give more than I take. I know my church contributes immensely to my city, state, neighboring states, country and neighboring and foreign countries. I don't know how you tax people who give and give, but I'm sure our government will find a way.
      And I do know there are some churches that abuse the tax laws. Just like there are secular organization the abuse the not-for-profit laws.

October 11, 2013 at 2:12 am |
      • AE

I certainly hope I didn't imply you couldn't do it without religion.

October 11, 2013 at 2:36 am |
      • AE

Sure. But I do a lot more now than I did before I turned my life over to God.

It has nothing to do with fear or a desire to please some imaginary deity as you imagine. Not everyone has such an awesome personality as you that gives so much. You must have been blessed or just lucky or something.

October 11, 2013 at 2:58 am |
      • Herby Sagues

It is great that you follow Jesus's teachings, because they were mostly good. Now, if you do so because you believe in everything the bible says, you are following the man for the wrong reasons.

October 11, 2013 at 3:04 am |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I don't think I've ever seen God actually take charge of someone. No profound change. And I've known a few non-theists who've become Christian (and one Sikh). They didn't immediately begin talking about their relationship with God in the way that you do, AE. It seemed like they had to learn their parts..

October 11, 2013 at 3:06 am |
        • AE

My changes have been gradual. And it definitely has been a learning process. I think it has been 3 years since I accepted Jesus.

Compared to 3 years ago, I give a lot more than I take.

October 11, 2013 at 3:14 am |
    • Maani

Sorry, Charlie, but not so. According to Pew (see passage below), the percentage of the world's population that self-proclaims as Christian has not changed in over 100 years, despite the concomitant rise in population. And Islam was actually on the rise during that 100 years. So, in fact, there are MORE believers today, as a percentage of the global population, than there were 100 years ago.

Every so often, atheists or others announce the "death of God" or other pronouncement that faith is on the downswing. And every single time, they have been wrong.

From Pew: "In the last 100 years, the number of Christians around the world has more than tripled from historical estimates of approximately 600 million in 1910 to more than 2 billion today. But the world’s overall population has also risen rapidly, from an estimated 1.8 billion in 1910 to 6.9 billion in 2010. As a result, Christians make up about the same portion of the world’s population in 2010 (32 percent) as they did a century ago (35 percent)."

October 11, 2013 at 2:21 am |
      • FYI

Maani,

I marked the Christian [ ] check box on surveys for years after I was really a non-believer - perhaps out of habit, remnants of superst.ition or a bit of paranoia that someone would track it. I doubt that I was unique.

October 11, 2013 at 3:16 am |
        • FYI

p.s. also, I remained (perhaps still do) on my church's rolls, if their reporting is a factor of these estimates. I never "resigned" or anything.

October 11, 2013 at 3:20 am |
      • Herby Sagues

Sorry about clicking on "report abuse", I tried to click on Reply (damn touch screen).
        That number from 1910 doesn't make much sense to me. Back then it was almost mandatory to be Christian if you lived in Europe. The majority of Russia, a good portion of southeast Asia and all of Latin America were completely Christian, and in the US you could barely survive if you were not only Christian but also religious. And if you go further back, you didn't have an option. In Europe during a good part of the middle ages you could be killed (or at least de-possessed) for not being a Christian. On the other hand, even if there were just 600 million Christians in 1910, the rest weren't atheists. There were myriad of other religions, some tribal, some sects and cults, that were popular back then. In 1910 it was so rare to find an atheist that even known atheists were forced to prefix their writings with phrases such as "Thanks to the glory of our Lord" when explaining concepts that didn't require God's intervention according to their knowledge (e.g. basic physics principles). I would dare to claim that the percentage of atheists a few centuries ago was well-below 10%. Now, as for the concept of "religion will disappear, atheism will triumph" I don't think there is any evidence that it is true. Religion is a meme and it is very difficult to get a well-established and finely tuned meme to go extinct for as long as there are willing hosts. It is also true that a lot of people WANT to believe (as demonstrated by the fact that some people have drastically switched religions a few times, all of them with the same absolute conviction, but wouldn't consider the option of believing in the only option supported by reason). Religion CAN give you comfort (as well as a lot of suffering and mental anguish, but of a kind that people are more willing to accept than that of a reality in which when loved ones die, they are gone forever, perhaps without a meaning) and people will hold on to that. The best we can aspire is a world where religion is optional, being rational is socially accepted and people that believe in fairy tales don't make enforceable policies based on what the worlds in their heads tell them.

October 11, 2013 at 3:16 am |
      • OrionStyles

We're in the information age now... religion is on its way out.

October 11, 2013 at 3:28 am |
  9. pbernasc

is people's gullibility a myth? No.
    Enough said

October 11, 2013 at 1:46 am |
  10. God

hee hee...

(I'm not real either)

October 11, 2013 at 1:42 am |
  11. Colin

The Torah is not real....that's what I've been sayin'!!!

October 11, 2013 at 1:41 am |
  12. Observer

The Koran is not real, I've been used 😦

October 11, 2013 at 1:41 am |
    • Observer

Grow up, faith/hharri/MAX, etc.

October 11, 2013 at 1:47 am |
  13. Devin

God is a tool, I've been used 😦

October 11, 2013 at 1:36 am |

Phony Devin,

Grow up.

October 11, 2013 at 1:39 am |

Thank you Observer. As a disclaimer, I refuse to go by The Real Devin

October 11, 2013 at 1:49 am |

Nor I the Real Observer 😦

October 11, 2013 at 1:51 am |
  14. Topher

the gods of Man are gone, and we are old enough finally, to not need new ones...

October 11, 2013 at 1:21 am |
    • devin

Perhaps, but the God of gods remains undeterred by your unbelief.

October 11, 2013 at 1:26 am |
      • Topher

Azura Mazda, Angus, Belenos, Brigid, Dana, Lugh, Dagda, Epona, Allah Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Atehna, Demeter, Dionysus, Eris, Eos, Gaia, God, Hades, Hekate, Helios, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Hestia, Pan, Poseidon, Selene, Uranus, Zeus, Mathilde, Elves, Eostre, Frigg, Ganesh, Hretha, Saxnot, Shef, Shiva Thuno, Tir, Vishnu, Weyland, Woden, Yahweh, Alfar, Balder, Beyla, Bil, Bragi, Byggvir, Dagr, Disir, Eir, Forseti, Freya, Freyr, Frigga, Heimdall, Hel, Hoenir, Idunn, Jord, Lofn, Loki, Mon, Njord, Norns, Nott, Odin, Ran, Saga, Sif, Siofn, Skadi, Snotra, Sol, Syn, Ull, Thor, Tyr, Var, Vali, Vidar, Vor, Herne, Holda, Nehalennia, Nerthus, Endovelicus, Ataegina, Runesocesius, Apollo, Bacchus, Ceres, Cupid, Diana, Janus, Juno, Jupiter, Maia, Mars, Mercury, Minerva, Neptune, Pluto, Plutus, Proserpina, Venus, Vesta, Vulcan, Attis, Cybele, El-Gabal, Isis, Mithras, Sol Invictus, Endovelicus, Anubis, Aten, Atum, Bast, Bes, Geb, Hapi, Hathor, Heget, Horus, Imhotep, Isis, Khepry, Khnum, Maahes, Ma’at, Menhit, Mont, Naunet, Neith, Nephthys, Nut, Osiris, Ptah, Ra, Sekhmnet, Sobek, Set, Tefnut, Thoth, An, Anshar, Anu, Apsu, Ashur, Damkina, Ea, Enki, Enlil, Ereshkigal, Nunurta, Hadad, Inanna, Ishtar, Kingu, Kishar, Marduk, Mummu, Nabu, Nammu, Nanna, Nergal, Ninhursag, Ninlil, Nintu, Shamash, Sin, Tiamat, Utu, Mitra, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Tsukiyomi, Inari, Tengu, Izanami, Izanagi, Daikoku, Ebisu, Benzaiten, Bishamonten, Fukurokuju, Jurojin, Hotei, Quetzalcoatl, Tlaloc, Inti, Kon, Mama Cocha, Mama Quilla, Manco Capac, Pachacamac or Zaramama

October 11, 2013 at 1:28 am |
        • Colin?

Colin has been known to copy and paste that exact list.
          Colin, you trolling as Topher?

October 11, 2013 at 1:34 am |
        • Devin

I copied HIS list...he's quite insightful you know...?

October 11, 2013 at 1:37 am |
        • BiblesMakeGoodTP

Topher get off my head yu freak, I can't tgype!

what?

October 11, 2013 at 1:39 am |
        • Truth

Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.Ok.I am Topher, Truth, Sara, Smithy, CoolKat, Butch, and Colin.........sorry 😦

October 11, 2013 at 1:40 am |
        • Colin

I got it from Doc Vestibule

October 11, 2013 at 4:45 am |
      • Truth

Zeus??!!!

I KNEW IT 🙂

October 11, 2013 at 1:30 am |
      • Jesus

What about the god of the god of god of the gods?

October 11, 2013 at 1:32 am |
      • Moron

LOL...I freaken' love christians!!! you just never know what sort of bovine feces they'll spout!!!! WHOOOO-HA!

October 11, 2013 at 1:33 am |
        • devin

That was brilliant. I'm guessing you're a rocket scientist. No?

October 11, 2013 at 1:52 am |

Devin,
          I'm going to reincarnate as a demon and visit someone in their sleep, what do you think?
          Satan had one son too...

October 11, 2013 at 1:53 am |

devin,

Once again, someone is proving their lack of morals by using my name.

They keep showing over and over how little honesty and integrity they have and they probably lie about being a Christian too.

October 11, 2013 at 2:03 am |

I figures as much.

October 11, 2013 at 2:13 am |

Oops. figured.

October 11, 2013 at 2:13 am |

devin,
          I love you man.

October 11, 2013 at 4:10 am |
    • DODO

quit splitting infinitives

October 11, 2013 at 1:53 am |
  15. Jay

A good church or religion doesn't need a billboard to announce faith. The fruits of their work will be evidence enough. Let them spend money on helping people to prove themselves or their god, not spend thousands on a billboard. Wow.

October 11, 2013 at 1:11 am |

x1

October 11, 2013 at 1:12 am |

October 11, 2013 at 1:13 am |
    • Topher

there are NO gods.

October 11, 2013 at 1:22 am |
      • James

Yes there are. They were aliens from Orion's Belt and Sirius. Don't you watch History Channel ? 🙂

October 11, 2013 at 2:24 am |
    • Cholera

RE "...A good church or religion doesn't need a billboard to announce faith.."

sure it does!! how else can you recruit the idiotic, the infirm, and the insane to follow your primitive monotheistic view of trillions of trillions of stars in this Universe?

October 11, 2013 at 1:35 am |
    • Kim

Why do atheists want to "recruit" more people? They aren't an organized group. They are the lack of an organized religion. I don't care if people believe or not but I don't understand the advertising of basically what amounts to nothing.

October 11, 2013 at 2:31 am |
  16. Toadstool

by all the gods..

that freaking cool

October 11, 2013 at 1:05 am |
  17. MAX

CNN, WordPress, dodo and others r named in the largest lawsuit in U.S. history.

Sam is being charged criminally

October 11, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • HotAirAce

At the risk of feeding a mentally ill troll, MAX, I was not aware it was you elsewhere I posed a couple of simple questions. Now that I know it is, no need for you to reply as it's highly unlikely you can form a coherent response.

October 11, 2013 at 1:22 am |
    • Topher

stupid is as stupid does.

October 11, 2013 at 1:24 am |
    • sam stone

still bloviating, gash?

come and get me

in fact, bring your little piggy law enforcement types too

October 11, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  18. Observer

kevin,

Do you agree with EVERYTHING in the Bible and support slavery, discrimination against women and the handicapped, etc. or do you just PICK-AND-CHOOSE what you like from the Bible and IGNORE the rest?

October 11, 2013 at 1:03 am |

typo.

This was addressed to devin.

October 11, 2013 at 1:09 am |

In order: 1. Yes
      2. No
      3. No
      4. No

Our presuppositions on these matters are divergent. You view these acts as if the Scriptures condone them, I view them as events that are being described in a specific historical context. I'm very familiar with the handful of Old Testament passages that are frequently used as canon fodder by the pagans ( sorry, just wanted to use that term). I don't know if this is the format to do a "bible study" to give you my take on the passages, but perhaps sometime.

October 11, 2013 at 1:23 am |
      • AE

I'm scratching my head. He accuses you of simply picking and choosing verses you like. And then he proceeds to pick and choose the verses he likes.

October 11, 2013 at 1:28 am |

AE,

No need to be confused. EVERYONE just picks and chooses what they like from the Bible. The difference between me and the many Christian HYPOCRITES is that I freely admit it.

October 11, 2013 at 1:32 am |
        • AE

No where does the Bible say I should support slavery, discrimination against women and the handicapped.

We read everything in the Bible at my church. And no one draws the conclusion you have. That is why I think the true irony exists in your statements.

At my church we take a stand against slavery. It still exists in this country. And we actively help the victims. We do not discriminate against women. We teach and believe that Jesus asks us to help all. Especially those in need.

October 11, 2013 at 1:41 am |

AE

It's to your credit that you don't follow the Bible when it comes to supporting those.

October 11, 2013 at 1:44 am |
        • AE

Right, because I did not volunteer thousands of years ago to be a Levite priest and promise to follow a purification code in an attempt to attract God's favor.

I have Jesus. I don't have to do those things that people used to attempt.

October 11, 2013 at 1:51 am |

AE,

It sounds like you come from a progressive church that ignores much of the Bible's commands to focus on the Golden Rule, which we can both support.

October 11, 2013 at 1:54 am |

devin,

Of course the scriptures support them rather than condemn them. You might want to read the full Bible someday so you'll have some idea what it says.

The Bible gives laws on where you can get your SLAVES, how to treat them, how badly you can hurt them WITHOUT PUNISHMENT, and how they are to be treated as PROPERTY.

Your answers show either a lack of knowledge of the Bible or just plain HYPOCRISY.

October 11, 2013 at 1:35 am |

Observer

Easy there big fella, don't take it personal and let this discussion devolve into a shouting match like I recall happening recently. FYI, while it in no wise makes me a biblical scholar, I have an undergraduate degree in religion/philosophy, which includes 4 semesters of koine Greek and 2 semesters of biblical Hebrew. I say that only to shed light on the nonsensical statement of " you may want to read the full bible someday". What you fail to realize is that an interpretation differing from your own is not synonymous with " lack of knowledge" Capish?

October 11, 2013 at 1:47 am |
        • AE

That seems kind of arrogant to aszume someone hasn't read the entire book because they didn't draw the same conclusion as you. Churches read those paszages. We admit some are difficult to understand. Believe me. And in my experience, we are welcome to discuss those difficulties openly. We were not alive back then. Human beings, society, and life was completely different from what we know.
          A lot of the paszages you reference were written to a specific group of people at a specific time. They were not meant to be universal laws to be blindly followed though out eternity. There are some key phrases that demonstrate this. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about if you have read it thoroughly.

October 11, 2013 at 1:48 am |

devin

Observer

"Easy there big fella, don't take it personal and let this discussion devolve into a shouting match like I recall happening recently"

Your memory is faulty. You must have me confused with someone else.

When God says he doesn't want people with a long list of handicaps in his church, what does that mean? Does it mean that he actually WANTS men with crushed testicles, for instance, in his church?

October 11, 2013 at 1:51 am |
        • AE

Men with crushed testicles were forbidden to become a Levite priest. Only the priests that could perfectly uphold the priestly code could enter the temple. It was not like church as we know it today. The priests had to be physically, mentally, spiritually sound.

Jesus painted a picture of them as not being so holy as they imagined themselves to be, right?

October 11, 2013 at 1:57 am |

AE,

Yes, God does discriminate against the handicapped, whether it's a broken foot or any vision problem. He doesn't want them to "profane his sanctuaries" by coming near his altar.

(Lev. 21:16-23) “Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to Aaron, saying, 'No man of your offspring throughout their generations who has a defect shall approach to offer the food of his God. For no one who has a defect shall approach: a blind man, or a lame man, or he who has a disfigured face, or any deformed limb, or a man who has a broken foot or broken hand, or a hunchback or a dwarf, or one who has a defect in his eye or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles. No man among the descendants of Aaron the priest who has a defect is to come near to offer the Lord’s offerings by fire; since he has a defect, he shall not come near to offer the food of his God. He may eat the food of his God, both of the most holy and of the holy, only he shall not go in to the veil or come near the altar because he has a defect, so that he will not profane My sanctuaries. For I am the Lord who sanctifies them.’”

October 11, 2013 at 2:10 am |
        • devin

Observer ( I'll assume this is the real you)

There are two ways to approach the Old Testament Levitical Laws, a right way and a wrong way. First, the wrong way: that these were a list of requirements God gave because He wanted to see these qualities and characteristics developed in the Israelites. Second, the right way: God gave the Levitical law to show the Israelites their complete inability and futility in attempting to obtain righteousness in their own. Just look at all the tedious passages given to explaining the sacrificial system, and what God required. What happens in the New Testament? We are told that God has never taken pleasure in the sacrificing of animals for sin. If you really want to understand much of these OT passages that cause you pain, I would highly recommend a thoughtful reading of the New Testament book of Hebrews.

October 11, 2013 at 2:12 am |

Observer

Right. That is what I said. Leviticus priests had to be physically sound.

But not everybody was trying to be a Leviticus priest back then.

And those paszages certainly don't mean that churches sound ban handicaps from attending. Not at all. I 100% disagree with you if that is the point you are trying to make. And I doubt you can find many Christians that support that belief. If you do know of some, show me who if you are able.

October 11, 2013 at 2:18 am |

devin,

The "right way" to view these commands is apparently to believe that God actually said them. That being the case, my statements are ACCURATE. Trying to pretend the Old Testament doesn't count and that God said things he didn't really mean is like claiming a woman is "only a little pregnant". My statements are FACTUAL that the Bible actually says that.

October 11, 2013 at 2:19 am |

AE

Your argument basically boils down to this: Yes, God discriminated against the handicapped, but it's only a few people so it doesn't count.

October 11, 2013 at 2:23 am |
        • AE

We should read about and understand them. But we are not required to follow them. We don't have to like them.

Seriously. Keep reading all the way through the Bible and you'll see why.

October 11, 2013 at 2:26 am |
        • AE

Only the priests could enter the temple anyway. It is not like he forbid them from existing or leading a normal life. They just couldn't be one of the very, very, very few human beings that became a priest, followed all the right rules and met the right criteria to be allowed to enter the temple.

October 11, 2013 at 2:31 am |

AE

"No where does the Bible say that followers of Jesus Christ must follow the purification code of the Levite priests."

Agreed. And that still doesn't change the FACT that God discriminated agains the handicapped, which was my original statement.

Do you agree with such discrimination against the handicapped? Would your church support any discrimination against people wearing glasses, etc?

October 11, 2013 at 2:34 am |

Observer

Again, you're confusing terms, whether intentionally or inadvertently, I'm not quite sure. I said nothing of " the Old Testament doesn't count", your words not mine.

October 11, 2013 at 2:39 am |
        • AE

If we followed what you imply we should, we would be going against Jesus Christ. So, no, we don't actively discriminate against anyone. At least that is our goal.

October 11, 2013 at 2:42 am |
        • AE

–He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,–

Luke 14:12-13

October 11, 2013 at 2:50 am |
        • Observer

At least we can end this discussion for now since we all agree that God does discriminate against the handicapped as proven by the quote from the Bible listing all the handicapped people that God doesn't want "to profane my sanctuaries".

The issue then changes to how many people he discriminated against and how much we can pretend this discrimination doesn't "count". That's another discussion.

Good night.

Good night.

October 11, 2013 at 2:50 am |
        • AE

I would not have been allowed to enter the temple.

But with Jesus now I can.

That is good news.

October 11, 2013 at 3:03 am |
  19. Peter

As a true non-believer, I really don't care if there is or isn't one or more gods, and I also don't care what you think. Unfortunately, the American Atheists have hijacked the A word, and are turning atheism into its own religion. Atheism is like anarchy, you just can't organize it. This war of words is pushing me further towards Agnosticism, "I don't know, and neither do you".

October 11, 2013 at 1:00 am |
    • Brad

Whether you call yourself an atheist or an agnostic is not as important as whether you live your life without fear of an afterlife or the need for a cosmic hug. Just because there is variability among atheists isn't a fault but a strength (if you accept evolution – diversity is a virtue). Please don't call atheist a religion, saying secular humanism is a religion would be more tenable argument. I've never understood why religious people think it's witty to call Atheist religious. or more faithful. According to there logic, if Atheists have more faith or are more religious, wouldn't that be a compliment according to their belief that religion and faith are good.

October 11, 2013 at 1:39 am |
    • devin

" A true non-believer." Interesting phrase. I kind of like it.

October 11, 2013 at 2:24 am |
  20. Frank Mondana

As usual, the YEC are forgetting that many Christians believe in the Big Bang and Evolution as being things that God set in motion. The position of the Catholic Church is that the evidence against a young Earth is overwhelming and that it would be impossible for "Satan" to have planted such evidence without being just as omnipotent and powerful as God. The Bible itself is pretty adamant that Big Red can only influence people. He could not have created physics and chemistry then tweak them so that every single human sees the "lie".
    The other thing I love about those crazy YEC folks is that they sure don't mind using all the science when it works for them. The same science behind the computers they use is the same behind the science that is used to age rocks and organic materials, used to create fuels, build the cars that burn those fuels, this science creates the lights we use at night, and just about every other technology that we use today. If physics and chemistry was so wrong that we are off by billions of years in the age of the earth, computers would not function as they require we have a pretty good handle on how electrons interact with certain elements.
    Unfortunately, computers do work, so these yo-yo's can just keep droning.

For my fellow rational thinkers- Yes, I oversimplified the above but it is still factually true. I just don't think the target of my comment would read anything long without a chapter/verse call-out.

October 11, 2013 at 12:57 am |
    • Opposing View

Frank… And that same logic and rational thinking will send your soul to hell. To be saved, you have to drop what you think you know and all that nonsense the scientists have told you, and believe what God says. If you cannot do that, then you're bound for hell and the lake…

FYI, the instruments and the calculations the scientists use to determine the age of things is wrong. Especially when it comes to the age of the earth. The earth is only 6,000 years old. This is confirmed by Jesus Christ himself. Not only that but Jesus was actually there when the earth was first created, and he witnessed his father creating it. So he well knows how old the earth is. So you can either believe the word of Jesus Christ (who was there and witnessed the earth's creation) – or believe the word of the Devil (the ungodly scientists – who was not there and all they can do is theorize). If you choose to believe the Devil, then you're basically saying that Jesus Christ is a liar and that he don't know what he's talking about. And all who calls God a liar is bound for hell and the lake….

Hebrews 6:18 – …it is impossible for God to lie"…

October 11, 2013 at 3:03 am |
      • Michael

So you're telling Frank, "You unlearn what you have learned" in order to "be saved"? Carbon dating is wrong? Son, you are, in my esteemed opinion, quite delusional. As another poster stated, if Satan put dinosaur bones in a the newly created Earth, that would make his as powerful as God. So all the oil and natural gas was put in place when the Earth was created as well? Put your Bible down for a few weeks, pick up a biology text and see how things REALLY work. Better to think one a fool than to have him open his mouth and remove all doubt. And insofar as your assertion that the instruments and calculations used in carbon dating are wrong, what evidence do you have to back that up? What your church told you? Do you not see a slight conflict of interest here? You are the one that is wrong, P"taQ ... deal with it.

October 11, 2013 at 8:47 am |
      • Joey

If those are my options I will go with the Devil.

October 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm |