home
RSS
'Mr. Spock goes to church': How one Christian copes with Asperger's syndrome
Brant Hansen, a host on Christian radio, says his Asperger's syndrome once made him feel like an alien at church.
October 19th, 2013

'Mr. Spock goes to church': How one Christian copes with Asperger's syndrome

Opinion by Brant Hansen, special to CNN

(CNN) - In the book “Jim and Caspar Go to Church,” an atheist turns to a Christian minister as they're watching a Sunday morning church service and earnestly asks, "Is this what Jesus told you guys to do?"

I've grown up in churches and I'm a Christian, and I'm right there with the atheist.

I honestly don't get the connection. (To be fair, I've grown up on Earth, too, and there are times that I don't understand any part of this place.)

You see, years ago, I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome - and like a lot of "Aspies," sometimes I'm convinced that I've landed on the wrong planet.

For those of you who don't know the medical lingo, Asperger's syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder, but not as severe as what most people think of as autism.

It basically comes down to this: those "normal human" rules for things like eye contact, when to smile, personal distance - we just don't get them.

What's more, Aspies like me don't like those rules. They make no sense to us. So usually, we just say stuff - bluntly - and stare uncomfortably at the ground. That's how we roll.

But it gets even trickier for people of faith like me.

Feeling out of place at work is one thing. Feeling like an alien at church is a whole other matter.

Imagine Mr. Spock at an evangelical Christian tent revival, and you’ll get the idea.

And my father is a pastor, so I was in church a lot.

Multiple times, each week, every week, I found myself wishing I'd be moved by the worship music, or that I could shut off my skeptical mind during the sermons.

I'd see people in church services, Christian concerts and Bible camps overcome by emotion and enraptured with charismatic speakers, and I wondered why I didn't feel that way.

Why did I always feel like a cold observer?

After going to college, I was convinced my lack of feeling meant I was missing something, spiritually, so I joined charismatic Christian groups in which emotional manifestations of the Holy Spirit are common.

I desperately wanted to have what they had - an emotional experience of God's presence - and asked them to pray over me.

It didn't work.

When I didn’t move with the Holy Spirit or speak in tongues, they told me it was because I had rejected God.

I worried that it was the other way around: God had rejected me.

Maybe I felt like an alien because I deserved it. I deserved to be alienated, irretrievably and forever far from God.

I tried to pray, read the Bible, and do all the "right stuff." But I still felt out-of-touch.

I wondered if I was so broken, such a misfit that God simply took a look at me and decided to move on.

I wish I’d known then that I was an Aspie. And that God loves Aspies.

I still feel alienated from many parts of Christian culture, but Jesus himself finally reached me.

And man, did I feel that.

To people who are beaten down or befuddled by religious rules, Jesus offers something that no one else does: rest. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest," he says.

And he sums up the entirety of complex and confusing religious laws with this: “Love God, and love your neighbor.”

Beautiful. Even children can understand that.

The Bible tells a story about a man who approaches Jesus and admits that he has faith, but also strong doubts.

"Help me in my unbelief," he asks Jesus.

Jesus doesn't blast him. He loves him. To me, Jesus is the only one who really makes any sense.

Oddly enough, considering my medical condition, I'm now a radio personality on a network that plays Christian music.

It’s a beautiful fit, in many ways, because I get to talk to many people who also don’t fit in, and wonder if God loves them.

It’s true, though, others won’t understand me. I know that. I’m still an alien in the American Christian subculture.

Each evening I retreat from it, and I go straight to the Gospels.

It's not out of duty that I read about Jesus; it's a respite.

I long for it, because I'm awash in two strange and baffling cultures, both the irreligious and religious.

And I long for someone I can finally understand, and someone who might finally understand me.

Brant Hansen is a radio host on the Air1 network, where his show airs from 3-7 p.m. CT. He also writes a popular blog at air1.com. The views expressed in this column belong to Hansen.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Church • Faith • Health • Jesus • Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (3,030 Responses)
  1. Mark

This pretty much sums you guys up. He knew you before your mother did. And he stills loves you atheist!

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.[c] 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, 16 for,

“Who has known the mind of the Lord
    so as to instruct him?”[d]
    But we have the mind of Christ.

October 20, 2013 at 8:16 am |
  2. Reality # 2

"Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger disorder (AD) or simply Asperger's, is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, alongside restricted and repet-itive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical (peculiar, odd) use of language are frequently reported.[1][2]

The syndrome is named after the Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger who, in 1944, studied and described children in his practice who lacked nonverbal communication skills, demonstrated limited empathy with their peers, and were physically clumsy.["

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

October 20, 2013 at 7:51 am |
    • Richard Cranium

"Again, Mr. Hansen, based on how he looks and what he does, does not fit the symptoms of Asperger Syndrome."

Ignorance.
      There is no way to look at a person in a still frame picture and tell they have Asperger's. Secondly, High functioning individuals (such as myself) who have Aspergers can do many high level jobs. I work in physics and other sciences.
      I have learned social interaction, but it does not come naturally to me. You would not knkow unless you got to know me very well that I have Aspergers, since I have learned to work through the symptoms and effects.

They have actually found certain jobs are done better by autistics and people with Aspergers, such as computer programmers..high attention to detail, and tenacity are a boon, so it plays well into the natural tendencies of effected individuals.

October 20, 2013 at 9:36 am |
      • Reality # 2

Or maybe you and Mr. Hansen were misdiagnosed? Apparently, the diagnosis is not an easy one as per the Mayo Clinic:

"To be diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, your child's signs and symptoms must match the criteria spelled out in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Me-ntal Disorders (DSM), a manual published by the American Ps-ychiatric As-sociation and used by mental health providers to diagnose mental conditions.

Some of the DSM criteria for Asperger's syndrome are:

No significant language delays
        A lack of eye to eye contact
        Unusual body posture or social expressions
        Difficulty making friends
        A preoccupation with one subject
        No interest in interactive play
        An inflexible att-itude toward change"

October 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
  3. Crom

Where is the logic in being brainwashed to believe in things that are not real? He is brainwashed. Just a robot. Pah.

October 20, 2013 at 7:34 am |
    • Mark

Is there logic in believing something cam from nothing?

October 20, 2013 at 8:21 am |

@Mark
        "Is there logic in believing something cam from nothing?"

Modern science does not say the known universe came from nothing, but from an unknown previous state.

But tell me, is there logic in believing that an all powerful, all knowing god who was always there created the universe from nothing? Or did your god also begin with some type of raw material(s)? What is your god made of, and where did it come from?

Science at the present moment can only speculate on what may have existed before the big bang. God believers say they know what existed before the universe was here, with nothing more than I have a holy book that says it's so, and think you're some kind of genius for believing that.

October 20, 2013 at 8:41 am |
      • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

So it's logical to think everything was created from nothing by a being that came from nothing. That makes sooo much more sense .. how could I have not seen that before!

October 20, 2013 at 8:43 am |
      • Mark

It had to start somewhere. Either intelligent design, or the alphabet was thrown on a warehouse floor and after millions of years and few wind gusts, it became the Library of Congress.

October 20, 2013 at 8:48 am |

@Mark
          "It had to start somewhere."

I agree with this 100%.

However, please provide evidence of the existence of said intelligent designer, how your intelligent designer came into being, the properties of your intelligent designer, where your intelligent designer got it's intelligence, and what the raw material(s), if any, your intelligent designer used were.

If you're just going to say I have this ancient book that says it was always there and said abracadabra, then I'm sorry, I'm going to reject that claim.

October 20, 2013 at 8:58 am |
        • Mark

Because you are a materialist. God operates at the spiritual level beyond comprehension with finite minds. Read Proof Of Heaven it will give you if you are a true scientist perspective.

October 20, 2013 at 9:02 am |

@Mark
          "Because you are a materialist. God operates at the spiritual level beyond comprehension with finite minds."

If it's beyond comprehension, how do you know this spiritual level exists? Please provide evidence of your god and how it operates.

"Read Proof Of Heaven it will give you if you are a true scientist perspective."

It will give me what?

October 20, 2013 at 9:08 am |
        • Mark

Read it. Written by one of your own, until his brain shut down completely.

October 20, 2013 at 9:13 am |
        • Mark

Duh...do you believe or experience hope? Show me it if so!

October 20, 2013 at 9:18 am |

@Mark
          "Read it. Written by one of your own, until his brain shut down completely."

"One" being the key word here. I wonder, of the 10's of thousands of other scientists world-wide, I wonder how many agree with him.

October 20, 2013 at 9:20 am |
        • Mark

He being a well known neuro scientist/surgeon Not many!

October 20, 2013 at 9:23 am |

@Mark
          "Duh...do you believe or experience hope? Show me it if so!"

Lame.

October 20, 2013 at 9:25 am |

@Mark
          "He being a well known neuro scientist/surgeon Not many!"

I don't care who is he. If his "evidence" is weak, it's weak. Why do you reject his critics?

October 20, 2013 at 9:28 am |
        • Mark

Really..was that I'm taking my ball and going home. Hope can't believe quantified yet you believe in it. But you ask Christians to show you proof of God. look around the natural world, and either dismiss hope which has less observable data than the Creator.

October 20, 2013 at 9:30 am |

October 20, 2013 at 9:32 am |
        • Mark

Wow my second to last post was so poorly written. Sorry.

October 20, 2013 at 9:32 am |

@Mark
          "look around the natural world, and either dismiss hope which has less observable data than the Creator."

That's it? "Look, a tree, proof of God!"

October 20, 2013 at 9:39 am |
        • Mark

A tree, a little too simple. How about the nature of math in nature.

October 20, 2013 at 9:42 am |

@Mark
          "His evvidence was not weak which is why His peers and colleagues have not come out against him."

Why spend time arguing about weak claims? Which is something I feel like I am doing now.

October 20, 2013 at 9:45 am |
        • Mark

Wait are forming an opinion of him without researching it? So unscientific.

October 20, 2013 at 9:48 am |

@Mark
          "Wait are forming an opinion of him without researching it? So unscientific."

What?

Please provide me a list of all qualified people who could evaluate his claims to be true or not, how they have or have not researched his claims, and what those who have researched it has concluded.

I feel that you are just taking his word to be true because of your bias.

October 20, 2013 at 9:54 am |

@Mark
          "A tree, a little too simple. How about the nature of math in nature."

And that is evidence of your god how? Oh yeah, I can't explain it, therefor God.

October 20, 2013 at 9:56 am |
        • Mark

Sorry Duh I have t go to church we are feeding the poor. Enjoy your day!

October 20, 2013 at 10:00 am |

@Mark
          "Sorry Duh I have t go to church we are feeding the poor. Enjoy your day!"

I will enjoy my day, I'm teaching the poor how to hunt and plant food so they can eat for a lifetime. Boo-yah!

October 20, 2013 at 10:02 am |
        • Mark

Oh because my poor are totally disabled. Like your mind!

October 20, 2013 at 10:07 am |

@Mark
          "Oh because my poor are totally disabled. Like your mind!"

Ow, that hurts, take it back.

October 20, 2013 at 10:09 am |

Okay I'm sorry!

October 20, 2013 at 10:18 am |
      • Mark

And Duh, it wasn't just a Holy Book it was the Son of God saying it is so. He lived people witnessed him. Do you remember where you were on 9-11? I can remember exactly what I said just prior to the airplane hitting the second tower. Something so catastrophic or remarkable is indelible on the mind. Same with 1st century Christians.

October 20, 2013 at 8:54 am |

@Mark
          "And Duh, it wasn't just a Holy Book it was the Son of God saying it is so. He lived people witnessed him. Do you remember where you were on 9-11?"

There are plenty of fictional books that claim people saw this or that, doesn't make them true.

How do you go about verifying the claims in the Bible are actually true?

October 20, 2013 at 9:02 am |
        • Mark

How do you verify stores from the Civil war are true?

October 20, 2013 at 9:14 am |
        • Well Duh

You really think there are equal amounts of evidence for Jesus turning water into wine and Moses parting the sea, as there is the Civil War?

October 20, 2013 at 9:17 am |
        • Mark

I believe there were eyewitness accounts of Jesus miracles yes. If I told you 50 years from now that two teenage girls lifted a car off their Dad would you believe it

October 20, 2013 at 9:21 am |
        • Observer

Mark

"Do you remember where you were on 9-11? "

Yep. Wishing there had been some way (or something or SOMEONE) who could have prevented it. Apparently, God was just watching it, too.

October 20, 2013 at 9:21 am |
        • Mark

We have free will. It's what makes God relevant when you truly understand his love for you.

October 20, 2013 at 9:25 am |

@Mark
          "I believe there were eyewitness accounts of Jesus miracles yes."

I know you believe it, but what credible evidence can you provide that the miracles actually happened as claimed?

"If I told you 50 years from now that two teenage girls lifted a car off their Dad would you believe it"

If I told you right now that I was abducted by aliens and examined in their spaceship, something 100's of others have claimed, would you believe it just because somebody said so?

October 20, 2013 at 9:33 am |
        • Mark

If 5000 people saw you rise, then quite possibly. If people reacted to your abduction in a way that was consistent with human behavior after witnessing an event. If people who did not believe in UFOS to begin with died for your cause of getting the information out. If lives were totally changed directly after witnessing your abduction. And if people watched you go and then return and shared it, i would definitely look into it.

October 20, 2013 at 9:40 am |

@Mark
          "If 5000 people saw you rise, then quite possibly. If people reacted to your abduction in a way that was consistent with human behavior after witnessing an event."

Actually 50,000 people witnessed it, but unfortunately they are all dead now.

October 20, 2013 at 9:49 am |

October 20, 2013 at 9:52 am |

@Mark
          "Really. I'd like t see their accounts. We could call it UFOS a testimonial. Were they martyred? Did they spend the 30 years sharing it with hundreds of thousands of people."

Oh I see, I start a rumor, it's spreads amongst hundreds of thousands of people, and my rumor is now true factual evidence. Brilliant.

October 20, 2013 at 10:00 am |
        • Mark

Wait you started a rumor? I thought you said it was true and you had eyewitnesses. Oh so you are just a liar and 50,000 people can confirm you are a liar. Not a viable example of any logic relative to your argument, or first century Christiana. You have exhausted your intelligence.

October 20, 2013 at 10:04 am |

October 20, 2013 at 10:05 am |

@Mark
          "Wait you started a rumor? I thought you said it was true and you had eyewitnesses. Oh so you are just a liar and 50,000 people can confirm you are a liar. Not a viable example of any logic relative to your argument, or first century Christians. You have exhausted your intelligence. Take a break!"

I didn't say my alien abduction was the rumor, that actually took place.

Was just saying by your logic, anything that spreads amongst hundreds of thousand of people is automatically true, whether or not you can prove that it was factual to begin with. Please try and read between the lines.

October 20, 2013 at 10:13 am |
      • Richard Cranium

No one thinks something came from nothing.

On one hand, we are not sure what happened just prior to the Big Bnag, so we do not know if there was nothing or not.
        Secondly, the definition of nothing...one mans nothing is another man's interdimensional something.

October 20, 2013 at 8:55 am |
  4. Mark from Middle River

Ok. Thanks for the good times here. I will miss it.

October 20, 2013 at 7:17 am |
    • What again

Hey, I was having fun playing wakamole with you. Oh, well.

October 20, 2013 at 7:24 am |
    • Crom

You will miss being here? You need to get a life.

October 20, 2013 at 7:35 am |
  5. Andrew

Much like radicalized liberal and conservative politicians, the vast majority of Christians are in the middle. They have faith and beliefs and most of them live their beliefs versus preaching them and trying to evangelize. As a Christian turned atheist turned back to Christian, I do not try to tell people how to live their lives. My job in this world is to live a good life, love all my fellow man, and if – and only if – someone wants to know why I'm so happy, contented, or do the things that I do to help others – will I tell them why. It is not my job to judge people who are not Christian, people who are gay, people who have abortions, etc. I do not know what God's plan is for these people, whether they have done something right or wrong in his eyes, nor should I try to guess at what it is. I should love them as equals and not judge their actions in the context of a book written by people thousands of years ago, selectively canonized by a small group of men 1,700 years ago, and actively misinterpreted and applied to judge others ever since. Perhaps when Christians practice what they preach and no longer stand in judgement of others, will they cease to be ridiculed.

October 20, 2013 at 7:13 am |
    • Crom

So only christards are in the middle? Really, Mark, if you're going to change names you should try different tactics.

October 20, 2013 at 7:37 am |
  6. Pat

God exists in the minds of people for one reason and one reason only and that is to facilitate their death denial. It is no coincidence that all god believers or all religions also believe they can live after they die. Religion is a crutch for cowards who refuse to face their own mortality honestly, like adults.

October 20, 2013 at 6:40 am |
    • What again

That's got some errors in it. You're just tossing things out without checking to see if things are really working that way.

October 20, 2013 at 6:46 am |
      • What again

So who keeps deleting Mark's posts? Not that he doesn't deserve it....okay, everyone say goodbye to Mark. lol

October 20, 2013 at 7:21 am |

Yeah anyway.

October 20, 2013 at 8:07 am |
        • Mark

Weird mine goes away, and so does those associated with it. What happen to freedom of blog?

October 20, 2013 at 8:09 am |
    • AtheistSteve

"God exists in the minds of people for one reason and one reason only and that is to facilitate their death denial."

Well that's not the only reason. Sure God is a figment of imagination but not merely to address the issue of what happens after we die. It's also a coping mechanism for an unfair world. A way to attempt to make sense of when bad things happen to good people and where bad people go unpunished. It's also a catch-all explanation (albeit a content free one) for the mysterious or unknown. It's touted as a means to find meaning and purpose for our existence...to seek, find and accept Gods plan for us even though no one can agree on what that should be.
      In short its attraction rests in the fact that it's the easy way out of dealing with the hard questions. To provide a pat answer for the mysteries by invoking an even more enigmatic one.

October 20, 2013 at 7:52 am |
    • G to the T

Buddhism doesn't – indeed your end goal is non-existence, not eternal existence!

October 21, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
  7. The Tooth Fairy

Dear Santa, God, Yeti, et al,

With Aspie guys like this finding the way finally there is hope that we wont be found out any time soon.

Remember to floss
    Your partner in deception,

The Tooth Fairy

Hallelujah!!

October 20, 2013 at 6:39 am |
  8. Daniel

Humanity will not progress until we absolutely understand that the religions of the Middle East are total BS. The bible has nothing, NOTHING, to do with reality. It's time to put the fairy tales away and look at reality.

October 20, 2013 at 6:31 am |
    • Pat

Humanity will not progress until we absolutely understand that all religions are total BS.

October 20, 2013 at 6:42 am |
  9. What again

Those face-pubes are just ridiculous. And cutting his hair is a sin. Those must be Satan's pubes on his face. Scary.

October 20, 2013 at 6:28 am |
    • saidanddone

unfunny and useless comment.

October 20, 2013 at 6:33 am |
      • What again

Not so. I've been giggling like a madman every time I re-read this post. 😄

October 20, 2013 at 6:36 am |
        • saidanddone

That's because you're an idiot

October 20, 2013 at 7:14 am |
        • What again

No, you don't have a sense of humor. I say something silly and funny and you think it's a serious thing. How sad.

October 20, 2013 at 7:26 am |
    • Mark

Are you slightly attracted to him?

October 20, 2013 at 8:10 am |
  10. Michael Bruce

If Mr. Hansen had not been brought up and brain washed in the church, he would have been perfectly content without the religious propaganda. Instead religion made him feel guilty and abnormal.

What a shame it is, that in this day people still feel a need to buy into the scam that is organized religion.

October 20, 2013 at 6:13 am |
    • Pat

It's called fear of death and it makes the majority of humans believe in silly, absurd, foolish things.

October 20, 2013 at 6:43 am |
    • Rc57

I read this very differsntly. He has felt disconected from others in general. Rules of social interaction don't make sense for him and as a result, he, like others with ASD can feel isolated and like an alien in our cultures. His experience of religious services only magnified that experience as he watched others experience something apparently beautiful that he could not. Eventually, he found a waynto understand and experience faith, and it came down to the most fundamental messages of Jesus, with all of the other ceremonial things set aside. Sounds to me that his life has been transformed in that he now feels connected to at which most of humanity has sought and felt, with variations, hroughput our recorded history.

October 20, 2013 at 6:48 am |
  11. Mirosal

Actually, Spock would NEVER go to church. How do I know this? It's Star Trek canon. In Star Trek 2 when they are discussing Project Genesis, McCoy says "According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now watch out!! Here comes Genesis, we'll do it for you in six minutes!!" .. and in Star Trek 6, Valeris is in Spock's quarters and inquires about a painting on his wall. He replies "It is a depiction from Earth mythology, the expulsion from paradise." Spock would never lower himself to worship that which is mythological.

October 20, 2013 at 6:07 am |
    • Mirosal

Spock and the bible do share one common trait. They are both products of imagination. The one difference is that Spock is somewhat beliveable. He'll dig for an answer, instead of using the "god of the gaps" finality.

October 20, 2013 at 7:03 am |
  12. Fritz Hohenheim

Here is a man who has normal reactions to that religious mumbo jumbo: It is BS! And he spends his whole live feeling guilty, finding a way so that he may finally join the "normal" people and reject reason and science.

Only in America can we truly celebrate the bizarre and abnormal as normality and virtue.

It sounds to me like you, sir, were a completely normal, healthy, rational human being. Until you let the feelings of guilt pressed onto you by your surroundings manipulating you into some sort of religious acceptance.

I pity you.

October 20, 2013 at 5:38 am |
    • BigBankTheory

Religiosity is a self-induced mental sickness, just like drug addiction. Not much can be done until they die off. Let's just make sure that our kids don't get the disease.

October 20, 2013 at 5:47 am |
    • Christian

Where does the article say that he felt "guilt" or "guilty". ... I thought it was he didn't feel anything he saw others feeling & experiencing because of His Aspergers, & he wondered about that & in the end found it in a different way that still satisfied his soul. I think a lot of these comments are very subjective.

October 20, 2013 at 7:19 am |
  13. BigBankTheory

It's entirely beyond me that seemingly normal, intelligent people can believe the religious bs!

October 20, 2013 at 4:54 am |
    • Pat

If you are going to believe in a god with zero proof then you may as well believe in leprechauns and goblins then too. You wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now would you?

October 20, 2013 at 6:37 am |
      • Christian

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."
        Hebrews 11:1

October 20, 2013 at 7:26 am |
        • truthprevails1

Could you provide us with a quote based on reality please? Scripture is for those not capable of rational thought, those who gave in to being satisfied that the one book holds all the answers.

October 20, 2013 at 7:48 am |
  14. James A.

What exactly IS God anyway?

October 20, 2013 at 4:40 am |
    • Just Call Me Lucifer

God is a manifestation of the human mind to expain that which cannot be expained, and to put at ease those who fear death with the concept of afterlife. Oh yeah... and to control the simple-minded and easily exploited. Truth hurts.

October 20, 2013 at 4:50 am |
      • BigBankTheory

Don't forget that the fear of afterlife itself was created by the religion itself – with the illusion of hell and torture, to make one be "good" and let yourself be manipulated by the church. The Communists and the Nazis used a similar approach. It's amazing how all three dogmas are so similar!

October 20, 2013 at 5:02 am |
    • Pat

God is the sound you make when your small malfunctioning brain backfires.

October 20, 2013 at 6:37 am |
  15. R Burns

You don't have to have Asperger's to question the validity of many doctrines practiced by "mainstream" and other Christian religions! When this author says "Jesus is the only one who makes sense" it is because Christ's teachings are so often overridden by men's rules, and often to the contrary. Nothing wrong with realizing that!

October 20, 2013 at 4:33 am |
    • What again

That was terrible. Try again, only this time try to speak in complete, comprehensible sentences. Thank you.

October 20, 2013 at 4:38 am |
  16. Terry B

Whether I might agree or disagree with this guy, I do find him articulate and thoughtful in his article. Such things have a tendency to make me feel a form of sympathy and likeability to this person. Might seem a little odd but I do like saying it.

October 20, 2013 at 4:06 am |
    • What again

Sure, you don't sound fake or anything, no. Oh, yeah we all believe you, yep. You like the face-pubes, right?

October 20, 2013 at 4:10 am |
  17. Santa Claus

If you believe in God you are a slave to a 2 thousand year old fairy tale and I pity you. There is so much love and beauty in this world without a need for the super natural. Do good to your fellow man and woman, not because your friend in the sky commands it (in which he contradicts himself countless times in the bible), but because its simply the right, and might I add, LOGICAL thing to do. I find happiness in the beauty of this amazing universe we live in and know so little about. And I find joy in life by bringing the same to others. Rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight, we're all this this together and only WE can make this world a better place for our children and all those to come after.

October 20, 2013 at 3:28 am |
    • Elle

Drop your pride... and arrogance
      that's all you need to do

October 20, 2013 at 3:31 am |
      • Blafcknblah

Raise your hands and STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD NOW

October 20, 2013 at 3:47 am |
      • Santa Claus

And what? Lay low and let religious lawmakers and fanatics tell me what I can and can't do as a good, freedom loving person? No thanks. Religion is a dangerous tool in the wrong hands. I choose to speak up against it. If that comes across as arrogance to you than I apologize, but it simply isn't.

October 20, 2013 at 3:51 am |
      • truthprevails1

Arrogance is thinking you have the right god when there are so many to choose from and yet none can be shown to exist. Pride is thinking you will get a special reward given by said creature in an afterlife that can't be shown to exist and all for simply closing your mind and accepting things based on faith alone.

October 20, 2013 at 5:41 am |
        • What again

Faulty reasoning and bad logic require less mental ability and is therefore more likely when we do not teach it to children so they can use it to learn better and faster. We instead get adults who can barely make sense when they talk.

October 20, 2013 at 5:57 am |
    • My opinion

The fact that you don't want dessert, doesn't mean I don't want dessert.

October 20, 2013 at 6:28 am |
      • What again

Your dessert is made from dead babies, so I guess we can't really let you have your dessert. Get it?

October 20, 2013 at 6:31 am |
    • Christian

There is amazing proof and evidence in the Bible. I didn't blindly accept it, I studied it for a long time & as a leap of faith when I prayed to God to help me to believe, something sincerely changed me. ... It's very tough in a world with such unsupportive and hateful comments about Christianity to believe, yet I preserve and it's not my own strength – I get that now. I think the fact many of us still believe – especially those who are "highly educated by the world's standards", is tangible evidence that there's more to our existence than just this life on earth. I pray God will soften the doubts in your heart. ... Christ died for us while we were still sinners and throughout scripture He spoke against the Pharisees who put pressure and rules on the people they were leading. Jesus called the weary and the weak to come to Him & said, "I will give you rest."

October 20, 2013 at 7:45 am |
      • G to the T

"There is amazing proof and evidence in the Bible." If there is, I'd love to see it. Somehow I must have missed it over the last 20 years I've been studying religion...

October 21, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
  18. D

Wow. Total FAIL.

October 20, 2013 at 3:16 am |
    • Crom

Yes, he shows himself to be a fraud with a poor grasp of logic. Spock must have seemed god-like to this kludge.

October 20, 2013 at 7:40 am |
    • G to the T

I wouldn't be too harsh. He was raised in very religious environment. No one wants to dissapoint their father, let alone all of the people that make up your social circle.

October 21, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
  19. acgriffin

The bible is a astro-theological literary hybrid.

The Jesus story existed long before Jesus was supposed to have existed.

The Jesus Christians worship is not once recorded on the historical ledger by any of the time period's best known historians.

Christians looks up Krishna, Horace and many other jesus stories from other religions which share the exact same elements only occurred thousands to hundreds of years prior.

"Religion was invented when the first conman met the first fool"

Wake up – it's mythology – religion is control, not freedom, not salvation – it's a means to control you.

And the reason I posted this? I have Aspbergers – I'm somewhat shocked that the writer here has faith – I generally find that most Aspies are not weighted down by mythology dogmas and general ignorance.

October 20, 2013 at 3:07 am |
  20. It's sad you have Aspergers

It's even sadder that you choose to be a deluded religious nutwhack.

October 20, 2013 at 3:02 am |
    • G to the T

As the father of an aspie, I find your comment a bit on the ignorant side.

October 21, 2013 at 4:30 pm |