home
RSS
November 7th, 2013

Even atheists love this Pope

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) – With his penchant for crowd-pleasing and spontaneous acts of compassion, Pope Francis has earned high praise from fellow Catholics.

Hell, even atheists love him - as amply demonstrated by the surprising displays of affection tweeted after the Pope publicly embraced a severely disfigured man on Wednesday.

MORE ON CNN: Why the pope's embrace of the disfigured man is so powerful

Here's what some atheists had to say on Twitter:

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Catholic Church • Christianity • Church • Internet • Nones • Pope Francis

1. Steven Owens

I would classify myself as a strong athirst, I like this guy. A friend just invited me to mass normally I would say no thank you, but I am going.
    A few more step into science and I might have to go every week!

January 11, 2014 at 12:58 am |
  2. mamaC

I believe in God and Christ .... but have had a real problem relating to MOST Christians. Theimr selfish, critical, judgemental and better-than-you demeanor is so disturbing to me, it makes me embarrassed to claim my beliefs. Ohh it is do good to see this pope stand up for all that is good and true, its a breath of fresh air.

December 9, 2013 at 12:58 am |
    • lol??

Have you run these thoughts past yer hubby lately??

December 17, 2013 at 5:20 am |
  3. Franklin

Who cares what atheists think? They've got the most fundamental concept of life wrong.

December 2, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
    • Juanita

Frankin, pray that Pope Francis turn them to God.

December 11, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • Shadow

Franklin, the most fundamental part of life is...caring about others(or loving others.).
      With what you stated, you are the one who doesn't have the most fundamental part of life down that was taught by Jesus.
      Why should you care what Atheists have to say? Simple, because an Atheist just schooled you, properly, on what your New Testament teaches.

December 24, 2013 at 7:49 am |
  4. PeregrinusMMVII

I'm somewhat surprised and humbled, reading these comments from atheists here today. My past experience on Twitter hasn't been a pleasant one, dealing with militant and extreme atheists. Maybe there are different kinds of atheists or maybe there are evil and wicked people who use atheism as a front so as to carry out their ill deeds against the Church. My eight months on Twitter has been a constant battle with militant and extreme atheists who have abused, insulted, incited hatred , use obscenities and harass the @Pontifex site and the faithful and all with absolute impunity. And for my trouble complaining to Twitter and reproaching the perpetrators, Twitter suspends my and other vocal Catholic's accounts who oppose these thugs attacking God, Church and the faithful.

Christian persecution is real and sadly it's right on our doorstep. Secularism and atheism are now taking over our lives, dictating how we should think; how we should learn, how we should live and how we should worship. They want to destroy our Christian morals, destroy our way of life, it's definitely the new communism, and everyone seems to be letting it happen.

November 29, 2013 at 7:48 am |
    • Warrior Wizard

New communism? C'mon get a life!!!! You sound like Rush limpbah

December 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • joesideas

I think the problem might be that atheists and agnostics preach that there is no one, no supreme being to tell them what to do, what to think, whether to worship and if they do, what to worship and how to go about it. Any and all of them think whatever they want, fearlessly I suppose, since the point is that they are the only one's in their own minds, they have no god. They believe they are completely unique and individual persons. I don't think you could describe them as communists.

The idea that there is no control over your life and soul besides what you exert yourself, that death is permanent with no afterlife, and above all, that there is no supreme being who can forgive you or define you morally would definitely be disturbing to someone such as yourself. I can understand your fear.

December 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • The other side

I'm somewhat surprised and humbled, reading these comments from Christians here today. My past experience on Twitter hasn't been a pleasant one, dealing with militant and extreme Christians. Maybe there are different kinds of Christians or maybe there are evil and wicked people who use Religion as a front so as to carry out their ill deeds against humanity. My eight months on Twitter has been a constant battle with militant and extreme Christians who have abused, insulted, incited hatred , use obscenities and harass the @Pontifex site and the faithful and all with absolute impunity. And for my trouble complaining to Twitter and reproaching the perpetrators, Twitter suspends my and other vocal Atheists accounts who oppose these thugs attacking Science.

persecution is real and sadly it's right on our doorstep. Religion is now taking over our lives, dictating how we should think; how we should learn, how we should live and how we should worship. They want to destroy our morals, destroy our way of life, it's definitely the new communism, and everyone seems to be letting it happen.

This is the other side of the fence, each side has the good and the bad. Any time an article like this comes up there are many extreme christians who bash any other view of life, just as you have dealt with in your twitter experience. I am by no means religious but I volunteer for a catholic mission outreach because I believe that they are doing the most good no matter what message they might spread. I don't do it because a god tells me to, I do it because I want to help people. I hope that you can find a group of good atheists to talk to but if you want to have a decent conversation try and keep an open mind to another way of living.

January 23, 2014 at 12:20 pm |
  5. Dandintac

I don't believe in gods. It does not stop me from admiring people who are religious if it's merited. One of the my best friends is deeply religious. The new pope is definitely a huge improvement over the last one. There is no question about that. Although that is a pretty low bar to step over. I think Ratzinger was about the worst possible choice the College of Cardinals could have made. I'd love to find out the politics behind that selection and his abrupt departure. The new tone is definitely better. But I don't expect anything of substance to change as a result of the new pope. The church seems to be structured so that it is hard for that to happen, so a "kinder gentler" pope to provide only a minor speed bump to slow the Catholic church's inexorable decline.

November 24, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
  6. me ll

god? what r u hollering? what is it?

November 16, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Cpt. Obvious

No one is good except god

November 16, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
    • Cmd. Moreobvious

And Superman. Superman is Good.

December 3, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
    • Mythcantor

God, who murdered millions of children after he "hardened" pharoah's heart so he could show how truly awesome he was? Yeah, that's good.

December 8, 2013 at 8:49 am |
      • peregrinusmmvii

My friend, your ignorance of scripture is showing, best advised to study it properly and within context of historic customs, traditions and morals of the period. Nothing in life is so easily simplified. Only the ignorant simplify what they cannot understand.

December 8, 2013 at 9:53 am |