home
RSS
January 24th, 2014

Pope wants to visit U.S. in 2015, sources say

By Ray Sanchez and Daniel Burke, CNN

(CNN) - Pope Francis has expressed his intention to visit the United States next year for a major meeting of the Roman Catholic church, CNN Vatican analyst John Allen said Friday, citing Vatican sources.

The pope would attend the eighth World Meeting of Families, which has been held every three years since the late Pope John Paul II convened the first such gathering in 1994. The Vatican announced in February that the meeting will be held September 22-27, 2015, in Philadelphia.

A visit by Francis, the first pope from Latin America, would resonate with the nation's growing Latin American population.

Allen told CNN that the idea of the family has been a major concern for the church around the world, especially in light of the growing push for legal recognition of same-sex marriage.

The General Assembly of the United Nations generally meets in September, leading to speculation that Francis might combine the Philadelphia trip with a stop in New York to address the U.N., according to Allen, a correspondent for the National Catholic Reporter.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Pope Francis

1. Martin

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbhhNyiDouk&w=640&h=390]

February 6, 2014 at 9:34 am |
    • Martin

Well said President, we remember those who are persecuted and uphold them in our prayers!

Pray for the persecuted!!!

February 6, 2014 at 9:35 am |
  2. HappyCatholic

Totally Catholic fan-girling right now. Viva il Papa! God bless you all!

February 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm |
  3. Lana

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeedE8vH1FQ&w=640&h=390]

January 30, 2014 at 11:35 am |
  4. Quest ion

What for?

When?

Who?

Why?

January 28, 2014 at 5:53 pm |
    • daveyoung

Why do we need to wait that long for an exorcism at the white house ?

January 28, 2014 at 10:56 pm |
  5. His panic

I don't know but this looks familiar. I don't know what else he can be looking forward to by coming to the new US of Sodom & Gomorrah. Well yeah, looking to find US$$$$$$$

He may well be in a State of Panic, but those who really, really Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic. You see, I even I may be his Panic.

January 28, 2014 at 5:47 pm |
  6. Keep your Crazy Italian Cult out of the United States!

And keep your Poop, too.

January 27, 2014 at 1:51 pm |
    • SCOTUS doesn't care what s*ex is killed. You new on the planet?

**********RED MASS killing alert!!!*************

January 28, 2014 at 6:12 am |
  7. rhaj

I found the following from Obama's "Audacity of Hope" :

"Of course organized religion doesn't have a monopoly on virtue, and one not need to be religious to make moral claims or appeal to a common good."

page 191

I think that will be a good introduction that Obama can make to the Pope... "of course"

January 27, 2014 at 12:01 pm |
    • Alias

I wonder how that would go over if they met at Obama's former church.

January 27, 2014 at 12:23 pm |
      • rhaj

I can be "dangerous"... (??)

but not the same "dangerous" as in page 195 of Obama's "Audacity of Hope"..

"At some fundamental level, religion does not allow for compromise. It insists on the impossible. If God has spoken, then followers are expected to live up to God's edicts, regardless of the consequences. To base one's life on such uncompromising commitments may be sublime; to base our policy making on such commitments would be a dangerous thing."

But now, I really think (or "believe") that the Pope is NOT the kind of "uncompromising"... or is He?

January 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm |
      • rhaj

(sorry.. I mean IT can be dangerous.. the meeting at the former Obama's church)

But I keep reading a bit more of "The Audacity of Hope"... And this one makes more sense to me.. I hope the Pope would think the same...

Page 194
        "What our deliberative, pluralistic democracy does demand is that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals must be subject to argument and amenable to reason."

January 27, 2014 at 1:00 pm |
  8. Dyslexic doG

I have the flu. :-(

Should I pray to get well or should I take medicine?

January 27, 2014 at 10:01 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Whenever I get stick, I make sure to down a bottle of single malt scotch as quickly as I can.
      It's been years since I had a cold or flu that I can remember clearly.

January 27, 2014 at 10:09 am |
      • Dyslexic doG

thanks Doc.

January 27, 2014 at 10:30 am |
    • RB

doG, until you become a child of God, there is only one prayer he will hear from you.

January 27, 2014 at 10:29 am |
      • Dyslexic doG

ah, so that's how it works ...

January 27, 2014 at 10:30 am |
      • Alias

So if he isn't listening to my prayers, does that mean he isn't watching me in the bedroom either?

January 27, 2014 at 10:44 am |
        • Mmmmmmm

Only Douglas is concerned about what you do in the bedroom.

Take some medicine, and I hope you feel better.

January 27, 2014 at 10:49 am |
        • RB

He doesn't need to watch. He knows your nature.

John 8: 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

January 27, 2014 at 10:57 am |
        • Alias

So, I'm being judged based on my father ....
          Wooo HOOO! Look out St. Peter, I'm on my way to Heaven!

January 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm |
        • sam stone

"your father, the devil"

look, my father was a pr1ck, but the devil?

amazing how some people seriously believe that tripe

i noticed how robert brown disappeared after getting his a-s-s handed back to him on a regular basis

now rb shows up

rebranding of the stupidity?

January 28, 2014 at 5:44 am |
      • Madtown

until you become a child of God...
        ----
        How does someone become this?

January 27, 2014 at 11:57 am |
        • RB

You must be born again.

January 27, 2014 at 1:57 pm |
        • Madtown

How do you do that?

January 27, 2014 at 2:38 pm |
        • Mmmmmmm

My mother will NOT be pleased.

January 28, 2014 at 5:38 pm |
  9. Fanboy

Maybe the Pope will come in a giant robotic battle suit and fight it out with Godzilla/Satan in Manhattan.

January 27, 2014 at 8:21 am |
  10. EX Catholic

He'll be looking for US$$$$$$ for the treasure chest of the Vatican.

January 26, 2014 at 4:29 pm |
  11. Reality #2

Dear Francis,

(Only for Francis and the other new members of this blog.)

Before your trip, consider the following:

Putting the kibosh on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• A constant cycle of reincarnation until enlightenment is reached and belief that various beings (angels?, tinkerbells? etc) exist that we, as mortals, cannot comprehend makes for a no on Sikhism.

Added details available upon written request.

January 26, 2014 at 10:59 am |
  12. Sunflower

Pope definitely needs a new toothbrush.

January 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm |
  13. Mr. Peaceful

I'm surprised. No trolls flaming God or atheists today.

January 25, 2014 at 7:18 pm |
    • doobzz

The trolls are still in church for their weekly pep rally.

January 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm |
      • Trollier than Thou

He wrote that yesterday. I had to work.

January 26, 2014 at 1:51 pm |
        • doobzz

Different time zone, I just saw it. Thanks, Trollier.

January 26, 2014 at 1:55 pm |
    • Douglas

Only a tedious little troll baiter like you. Glad your mommy lets you play on her computer. Now get back to your Sprout site before mommy finds out you've been training for the boring troll Olympics.

January 26, 2014 at 9:51 pm |
      • G to the T

Now don't diss his skills Douglas. I'm willing to bet he's a master baiter!

January 27, 2014 at 12:07 pm |
        • Petra

The other Douglas would have something today about that too....

January 27, 2014 at 12:50 pm |
  14. The Amazing Criswell Predicts!

Greetings, my friends. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

I predict that the Editors of the Belief Blog will continue to bombard us with a lot more stories about the Pope.

I predict that those stories will all read like they were written by the Vatican PR spin department.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future

January 25, 2014 at 4:39 pm |
    • sam stone

Is that you, Austin?

January 26, 2014 at 3:43 am |
      • The Amazing Criswell Predicts!

That was really cold, dude. Just for that, I'm going to get liquored up and fire up my pick-up, come install a midnight drive-thru in your atheist church. The demon squish-kitty demands I appease the prophetic vision he put in my head.

But I'm having trouble finding any of these atheist churches, so, uh, could you give me directions? Thanks. Oh, you want I should pick us up some Krispy Kremes and nice blue Slurpees? I personally find that nothing quite goes like a splat-cat demon dream drunken psychotic truck rampage like a nice Krispy Kreme and blue Slurpee to set the mood juuuuuuust right.

January 26, 2014 at 4:52 am |
    • Saraswati

I predict, based on the advertising I'm seeing on this page, that Microsoft determined that Catholics are a good market for their products, asked CNN to lure this market, and that we will therefore see more pope articles as long as Microsoft is an advertiser.

January 26, 2014 at 9:31 am |