home
RSS
February 17th, 2014

Satanists: Accused Craigslist killer not one of us

By Daniel Burke, Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) -  She's not one of us.

That's what Satanists are saying about accused "Craigslist killer" Miranda Barbour.

The 19-year-old told The Daily Item, a Pennsylvania newspaper, that she joined a satanic cult in Alaska when she was 13 and participated in several murders.

Barbour, who has been charged with one slaying in 2013, told the newspaper that she has been involved in  at least 22 killings.

But authorities haven't corroborated her claims, and top Satanists say they have no ties to Barbour or her husband, Elytte Barbour, who is also charged in the 2013 killing of 42-year-old Troy LaFerrara. Police say LaFerrara responded to a "companionship" ad placed by Miranda Barbour on Craigslist.

"According to our records, we have never had any contact from this woman, nor her accomplice," said Magus Peter Gilmore, high priest of the Church of Satan. "It seems to me that she is calling herself a member of a 'satanic cult,' not a legally incorporated above-ground form of satanism."

"Thorough investigation will likely demonstrate that this cult story is fiction," Gilmore added.

Founded in 1966 by Anton LaVey, the Church of Satan is the oldest and largest such body in the United States.

The church's "Nine Satanic Statements" hold that Satan "represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!"

Like Gilmore, Lucien Greaves, spokesman for the rival Satanic Temple, said his group has no ties to Barbour or her husband.

"Barbour seems bent on displaying herself as prolific murderer and absolute monster, and her 'Satanism' seems nothing more than another transparent effort to aid in this campaign of reverse," public relations, Greaves said.

"It must be remembered that 'the Devil made me do it' excuse far predates any written doctrine of Satanism, and I feel certain that Barbour's own relationship with any organized Satanism will turn out to be vague or non-existent," he added.

Greaves' Satanic Temple, more a band of political provocateurs than an organized religious group, is trying to place a monument to Satan at the Oklahoma state courthouse.

MORE ON CNN: Satanists unveil design for OK statehouse statue

Barbour's alleged satanic ties may resurrect painful memories for Satanists,  who found themselves at the center of controversy during the "satanic panic" of the 1980s.

During that time, several American communities reported that Satanists had abused children during horrifying rituals. The accusations were later debunked, but only after what Satanists like Gilmore describe as a "witch hunt."

Gilmore said his church is not a cult and does not allow minors to participate in its activities.

"As we’ve said time and again, satanism is a law and order philosophy, and we consider that the punishment should fit in kind and degree the crimes committed," Gilmore said. "Murderers deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Crime • Cults • Satanism

1. joeyy1

`

February 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm |
  2. Salero21

Atheists/evolutionists/satanists etc. etc. = Self imposed labels for what the Bible clearly calls Fools, Unbelievers and idolaters among other things. Jesus also called them dogs, goats, swine and wolves. :-D :-D Jesus had a great sense of humor!! See... that's why I must remind you that atheism is Total stupidity. Whether is intellectual or practical atheism it is Total stupidity. ;-)

February 22, 2014 at 7:26 pm |
  3. thefinisher1

How can atheist be more "moral" when most accept evolution as a fact? Survival of the fittest supports murder, war etc. So how can ANY atheist who accepts evolution claim to be more "moral"?!??!?!?!?!? The religion of atheism is seriously messed up beyond belief.

February 22, 2014 at 11:12 am |
    • meatheist

"Survival of the fittest supports murder, war etc." WRONG. A lion killing and eating a zebra is not murder.

February 22, 2014 at 12:03 pm |
      • thefinisher1

Wasn't talking about animals. Nice try troll.

February 22, 2014 at 3:03 pm |
        • meatheist

Survival of the fittest, per Darwin, was plants and animals. You can't apply it to people. That was something the social Darwinists invented, not Darwin himself. And troll to the infinity power to you.

February 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Lol! It's funny when atheists lie. You know the truth knocks you off your fake throne and you are no longer superior. Awww poor baby! Survival of the fittest supports murder, war etc. Atheism doesn't produce more morals. It does the opposite😜

February 22, 2014 at 3:47 pm |
        • meatheist

Blind faith produces idiots.

March 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm |
    • hotairace

Obviously evolution is too subtle for some members of the dead jew zombie cannibal vampire death cult aka christianity.

Murder at the individual level might seem beneficial but eventually someone else will come along to kill the murderer, or the chances of procreation will be reduced for murderers, so that trait might be bred out of humans, if there is a genetic dependency.

To protect against murder, groups might be formed within which the weaker are protected and murder is clearly frowned upon, and dealt with harshly. So in a well regulated group, murder diminishes. No god required.

But then we get group or herd mentality, often driven by irrational religious beliefs, and murdering someone in another group becomes permissible, if not highly encouraged.

So, it would seem that religion is an enabler for murder. How moral is that?

February 22, 2014 at 3:16 pm |
      • thefinisher1

Your religion(evolutionism) supports murder and war. Get over it. Your religion is immoral.

February 22, 2014 at 3:56 pm |
        • hotairace

I admit I am not an expert in evolution. Please help me understand where I went wrong above?

February 22, 2014 at 4:06 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Fundie atheist evolutionists state that we came from animals so...survival of the fittest applies to humans as well. Stalin and Moa took that seriously when they slaughtered their own people. Your religion is immoral. Give it up, dude

February 22, 2014 at 4:14 pm |
        • hotairace

You still haven't addressed what I wrote above. Why not?

February 22, 2014 at 4:18 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Lol dumb troll denies the truth. Aww. Your ego will be bruised if you admit this. Awww poor baby!

February 22, 2014 at 4:22 pm |
        • hotairace

Hey Dala! I'm not being respected and neither are my beliefs. Why aren't you chastising my attacker? Oh never mind, I really didn't expect you to be consistent and I don't want or need your help anyway.

February 22, 2014 at 4:33 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Your beliefs are ridiculous and deserves public mockery. Atheist logic 101.

February 22, 2014 at 4:53 pm |
    • James XCIX

"Survival of the fittest supports murder, war..."

Are you suggesting that your religion has never supported those things?

February 22, 2014 at 4:28 pm |
      • thefinisher1

According to Christianity, murder is a sin. Your argument is flawed.

February 22, 2014 at 4:54 pm |
        • hotairace

Too bad for you and your fellow cult members, christianity is flawed.

February 22, 2014 at 5:01 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Denying the truth only makes it harder to accept.

February 22, 2014 at 5:13 pm |
        • James XCIX

How about war?

February 25, 2014 at 11:18 am |
    • harlow9

Are you saying that if it were not for the promise of heavenly reward and the threat of eternal damnation that you would be out doing evil and destructive things to your fellow man? If the answer is "yes", then you are acting purely in self interest and that is not morality. However, I suspect your answer is "no", and that you are a good, decent person and would be even if such control measures were not in place. Therefore, morality does not come from your belief system. Now you and I may disagree as to whether this is an evolutionary mechanism to protect and perpetuate our species or where it was instilled in our souls by God. Either way, we both have it. Atheists are not inherently evil people. Of course some of them are jerks, but that is not unique to atheism.

February 22, 2014 at 11:09 pm |
  4. thefinisher1

How do I join the atheist cult? Is there some type of initiation into the cult? Do we have to attend atheist churches since they exist? Do we pray to non-belief? Is non-belief our god? This cult sounds fun!😜

February 21, 2014 at 9:42 pm |
    • hotairace

Assuming this is a serious question, and I don't think it is but will play along...

All you have to do, based on at least there being no actual evidence for any gods, is recognize/admit that the probability of there being any gods, especially a god that takes a personal interest in you and things going on here on Earth, is small. I estimate the probability to be virtually zero but you can and might come up with some other value.

What you do after that is entirely up to you.

February 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm |
  5. joeyy1

February 21, 2014 at 9:41 am |

Maybe he stutters.

February 21, 2014 at 11:41 am |
    • Doris

I could care less if it weren't the so boring. I swear, someone gets a Casio keyboard for their birthday, and suddenly they think they are worthy of an audience.

February 21, 2014 at 10:51 pm |
  6. joeyy1

February 19, 2014 at 9:56 pm |
    • the0g0to0the0t

Can we get this spammer blocked or something? It's pretty sad really...

February 20, 2014 at 12:19 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

CNN can you do anything about this tool?

February 20, 2014 at 2:45 pm |
    • meatheist

So I take this message is from a believer. In context, I think it is an encouragement for believers to dive from airplanes and not open their parachutes, hastening their own deaths and meeting the sky fairy in which they have so much faith.
      Seems like a good idea for the faithful. Unfortunately, I do not count myself among them and prefer to make the best of the one life I have. Why waste it on false beliefs? Of course if you were an atheist, you'd open the chute, enjoy the view and continue to see the wonders of life,-without worrying about your brother, Jack, a sinner for sure, dead and burning in hell.

February 20, 2014 at 5:07 pm |
      • derado8

?? All that came up for me was some techno music and a screen showing a guy sky diving

February 20, 2014 at 5:21 pm |
        • meatheist

the t-itle of the tube is "Meet you maker-skydiving."

February 20, 2014 at 7:58 pm |
        • derado8

Ok, I thought that was the name of the group who wrote the song.

February 21, 2014 at 2:53 am |
  7. thefinisher1

Atheists think that stating how much they think something is a fairy-tale will convince people on the internet to become atheists. LOL. The stupidity of atheists is growing larger. Stating God doesn't exist or is likely to not exist will make people stop believing. How can ANY atheist deny they have faith? You want us to stop believing God and exchange it for more faith?! LOL atheism should get the most mockery.

February 19, 2014 at 9:25 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

asinine.

February 20, 2014 at 8:44 am |
    • neverbeenhappieratheist

It requires no faith to see that there is simply no empirical evidence for a God or gods.

February 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm |
      • danmass

I would respectfully disagree. It may not be the same kind of faith that a person would have towards God, but I believe that atheism does, at the end of the day, require some degree of faith. It requires some degree of faith that you're right, even if you have convinced yourself that empirical evidence doesn't exist. How could anyone factually know that empirical evidence doesn't exist? That level of knowlege is impossible. All you can really say is that, as far as you know, no evidence exists. You simply cannot go from "I don't know if there's a God" to I definately know there is no God without faith. It is an unprovable position.

February 20, 2014 at 8:31 pm |
        • hotairace

Where did the poster above say definitively there are no gods? Most atheists I know do not claim there are no gods, they claim there is no evidence, as above.

February 20, 2014 at 8:48 pm |
        • sam stone

i have never met an atheist who said that they knew with absolute certainty that there was no god

however, i have met many christians who were certain of the existence of god

February 21, 2014 at 7:22 am |
        • joey3467

I am o.k. with the concept of the Diest god, but the Christian god as described in the Bible I put at as close to zero percent chance as you can get.

February 21, 2014 at 12:07 pm |
    • krbowden

I am not a believer. I'm not ashamed of being a non-believer. You are mistaken however, in believing that I am out to convert other people to share my beliefs (or lack thereof). Personally I find Christianity to be rather ridiculous, but if others wish to believe it it makes no difference to me. Believe whatever you want. So will I.

February 22, 2014 at 5:21 am |
  8. Henri

Satan is the fallen angel, Lucifer. He counterfeits all that God does, hoping to gain the worship of the world and encourage opposition to God's kingdom. Satan is the ultimate source behind every false cult and world religion. Satan will do anything and everything in his power to oppose God and those who follow God.Revelation 20 talks about satan's fate and how he will be doomed for eternity.

February 19, 2014 at 3:09 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

oh what an infantile, fairy tale world you live in ...

February 19, 2014 at 5:32 pm |
    • meatheist

The bible is fiction, you fool.

February 19, 2014 at 8:08 pm |
      • meatheist

Sorry. That may have sounded harsh, given that you are severely mentally challenged.

February 19, 2014 at 8:11 pm |
      • thefinisher1

Atheism is fiction, you stupid fool.

February 19, 2014 at 9:27 pm |
        • meatheist

You are a f##cking stupid fool. So there.

February 20, 2014 at 11:31 am |
        • meatheist

Name calling gets me hot. How about you?

February 20, 2014 at 11:32 am |
        • sam stone

one click from the old 12 gauge, thefinisher, and you too could on your knees, pleasing the savior in your very special way....if you could drag jerry fartwell off of him

February 21, 2014 at 7:24 am |
    • harlow9

Can you please cite me the passage where it says that Lucifer is Satan? I missed that somewhere.

February 23, 2014 at 1:13 am |
  9. joeyy1

February 19, 2014 at 1:02 pm |
  10. believerfred

igaftr
    "First, no signs of any gods, and no sign of any "heavens", so that cannot be confirmed."
    =>With the exception of a very small minority these signs have been within mans awareness since the earliest recorded history and often results in an automatic reflex of worship. You have no basis to throw out tens of thousands of years of confirmed observation. All you do is give your minority opinion concern that which was actually observed. Simply because you cannot see beyond your belief does not mean the vast majority for all of history were incapable of observation.
    =>Now, within the scientific community it is a death sentence to call that which is known to exist God or supernatural so that which even science knows to exist is covered up with "we don't know" while all evidence to date confirms it is unknowable and remains so to this day as man cannot know the mind of God and mans ways are not God's ways.

February 19, 2014 at 12:48 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

For tens of thousands of years amongst virtually every culture, illness was ascribed to malevolent spirits.
      You have no basis to dismiss this pervasive belief.

February 19, 2014 at 2:12 pm |
      • believerfred

Doc
        Discovery of Streptococcus does not change the object of worship or assignment of disease to a god or gods. We see the illness as caused by bacteria yet when confronted with the loss there is cry out to God that asks why why why. This has remained unchanged over the history of mankind. Mankind moving through linear time with a naturalistic worldview or theistic worldview asks the same question when confronted with a loss that cannot be explained. We can explain the origin of bacteria but not the purpose of loss. That is a matter of belief.

February 19, 2014 at 3:06 pm |
        • meatheist

The bacteria were hungry; what more are you looking for?

February 19, 2014 at 8:15 pm |
  11. derado8

Getting murdered is an unthinkable way to go out. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be sitting there struggling while someone is stabbing you. Cripes!

February 19, 2014 at 11:59 am |
  12. thefinisher1

If I reject the atheist religion, will I burn in evolution hell?

February 19, 2014 at 7:57 am |

It all depends.
      If you committed one of the atheistic mortal sins, like believing a proposition without proof, Galapagor, the man-ape overseer of the Atheist Underworld, may leave your essence as a trilobite deep in the fossil layer.
      All the transitional fossils buried in the Earth are nothing more than the transmogrified remains of sinful atheists.
      Creationists ascribe it to another of Satan's lies, but every atheist knows deep in their heart that we must answer to Galapagor upon death.

February 19, 2014 at 8:08 am |
      • Dyslexic doG

put that in an old book and it will all magically become true!

February 19, 2014 at 9:21 am |
        • Doris

But it might take a bit of time. It has to go through a finishing stage where it can only be properly tended by the atheist church "fathers".

February 19, 2014 at 9:51 am |
        • Woody

I once read "A Visit from St. Nicholas", also known as "The Night Before Christmas", in an old book. That absolutely proves that Santa Claus and flying reindeer exist. It is "written" so it has to be true.

February 19, 2014 at 12:23 pm |
      • Doc Vestibule

No need for an ancient text.
        While quietly clicking through the Belief Blog one evening, an enormous terrifying half crocodile, half duck wreathed in flame appeared unto me. Though his words were like roaring quacks to my ears, in my head I heard his meaning plain as day.
        He gave unto me a magic, glowing tablet that contained a new, hidden chapter of "Origin of Species".
        As I touched each square, new mysteries were revealed to me. As I hurled brightly coloured, irate ornithological specimens into crude, wooden structures and unclean, green hued porcine creatures, I understood Darwin's Final Truth.

For the low, low fee of 10% of your annual net worth, you too can know Darwin's Plan for the ultimate evolution of mankind.

February 19, 2014 at 9:51 am |
        • Dyslexic doG

I'm a believer!

February 19, 2014 at 10:03 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

Darwin's Crocoduck told me but one unquestionable commandment:
          Cash only and in small bills.

February 19, 2014 at 10:12 am |
        • meatheist

Tell us Doc about evolution heaven. Maybe you can invent enough of this stuff to get real believers. Can you arrange to have ministry certificates so we can open some churches and get tax deductions? How about coins that say "In Darwin We Trust?"

February 19, 2014 at 12:25 pm |
    • derado8

Finisher. You use the word "reject" I can not reject the idea that Hawaii borders New York. No matter what I do I can't make myself think that it does.

February 19, 2014 at 11:53 am |
    • Akira

Yes, finisher. Yes, you will.

February 19, 2014 at 12:19 pm |
  13. Dyslexic doG

Satan is one of the characters in the Christian fairy tale book! Atheists believe in satan as much as they believe in the god character or the jesus character. i.e. atheists KNOW they don't exist!!!

so how you numbskulls twist that into saying that Satanists are atheists is, AS EVER, beyond me!

February 18, 2014 at 11:54 pm |
    • bootyfunk

when i tell someone i'm an atheist, half the time they ask the mornonic question, "do you worship satan?"
      no we don't. we don't worship anyone. and just think it through for 2 minutes. god created satan, according to the babble. if we don't believe in god, how can we believe in satan? we don't believe in any of the fictional characters in christianity or any other religion. do the math.

February 19, 2014 at 5:06 am |
    • thefinisher1

Lie number one. You don't know but you claim you do. LOL classic atheist stupidity! Thanks for the comedy doggy!😜😃😄😀😊

February 19, 2014 at 7:42 am |
      • hotairace

If an atheist is stupid for claiming to know that no gods exist then believers are at least as stupid for claiming they know their alleged but never proven supernatural buddy exists.

February 19, 2014 at 7:58 am |
        • thefinisher1

Believers admit they have faith. Atheists are too egoistic to admit they require faith once they state they know for a fact God doesn't exist. You guys are the only ones on the planet that haven't been able to admit you have faith. Sad. Ego to big eh?

February 19, 2014 at 8:00 am |
        • hotairace

Most atheists don't think there are no gods. Most think the probability of there being any gods is very low, virtually zero, but do not rule them out.

Can you admit that there may not be any gods?

February 19, 2014 at 8:06 am |
    • theophileo

How do you KNOW they don't exist? Provide proof please.

February 19, 2014 at 8:02 am |
      • midwest rail

How is it that when posters such as Austin claim to have proof of the existence of the Christian God ( not evidence, but proof) you do not make the same request ? Just wondering.

February 19, 2014 at 8:10 am |
        • hotairace

Or of The Babble Humper's latest hero, wolfie?

February 19, 2014 at 8:11 am |
        • midwest rail

Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone responds at all to wolf – trolling should never be that boring.

February 19, 2014 at 8:14 am |
        • hotairace

I am guilty of trying to make his head explode but the fun has gone away so I'm done with him.

February 19, 2014 at 8:18 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

While it is not completely impossible to prove a negative – it is just prohibitively, vastly, incredibly difficult. If you say "there is no life anywhere but Earth", you'd have to have surveyed every single planet in the entire Universe to provide proof of your statement's accuracy.

February 19, 2014 at 8:14 am |
        • theophileo

a supernatural explanation proven to be true
          -------
          I submit fulfilled prophecy as evidence to the Bible's divine origin:

1) Israel's captivity to Babylon predicted, even the length of captivity predicted. (Isaiah 39:6, Jeremiah 25:11)
          2) Cyrus predicted by name to rescue Israel from Babylonian captivity, and to rebuild the Temple (Isaiah 44:24-28, 45:1-7, 13)
          3) Babylon's destruction prophesied (Isaiah 13:19-22, Jeremiah 25:12-14)
          4) Destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple prophesied (Matthew 24:1-2, Luke 19:43-44)
          5) Josiah predicted by name to sacrifice illegitimate priests on the altar (1 Kings 13:2)

And I could list many more...

February 19, 2014 at 8:32 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

And Nastradamus prophsied the rise and fall of Napolean, the industrual revolution, radio waves, the ubiquity of cars, trains, planes and other rapid transportation, television, the moon landing....
          Ancient Norse prophecies about Ragnarok are coming true even now.
          And what of all the failed Biblical prophecies? Specifically those pertaining to the Messiah?
          They say that Jesus being born of a virgin fulfills the Isaiah 7:14prophecy.
          Furthermore, did Jesus manage tor ebuild the Temple in Jerusalem? Kind of hard to do since the Temple still stood during Christ's lifetime. Did He re-establish Jewish law as the only law? Did He ave Israel? Lessee – just after His death the Holy Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, Jerusalem was laid to waste, and the Jews went into exile to begin a 1900 year long night of persecution, — largely at the hands of Jesus' followers. Is there a world government run from Jerusalem? Did He return all the exiled Jews to Jerusalem?

February 19, 2014 at 8:47 am |

Pardon my misspellings.
          Still working on the first cup of coffee....
          Doc brain not work caffeine well without.

February 19, 2014 at 8:53 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Supernatural events never happen. For if they do happen, none dare call them supernatural.

A bad joke, I know. "Supernatural " is a word looking for a good definition.

February 19, 2014 at 8:56 am |
        • theophileo

And Nastrada.mus prophsied the rise and fall of Napolean, the industrual revolution, radio waves, the ubiquity of cars, trains, planes and other rapid transportation, television, the moon landing....
          --------–
          Nastrad.amus only seems to predict things when people read into his writings ex post facto. And even then, his writings are so va.gue that they could mean anything you want them to. Biblical prophecy is not that way, for example, in two instances, a man's specific name and his deeds are mentioned. In another, a specific time is given for the Babylonian captivity. In the 70 weeks prophecy of Daniel, the exact day was predicted for the Messiah's coming. Once again, Nastrad.amus was va.gue poetry at best, NOT prophecy.

----------
          There are none. Perhaps you could show me one "failed" prophecy? And keep in mind that Messianic prophecies deal with both His advent AND His return.

They say that Jesus being born of a virgin fulfills the Isaiah 7:14prophecy.
          ---------
          Actually, the word translated as "maiden" is used to refer to an unmarried woman and means "virgin." (See Genesis 24:43, Proverbs 30:19, Song of Solomon 1:3, 6:8) If you wish to retranslate that word, then you've got to first retranslate it in each of its other uses, and then reword the context so that the meaning is obscured... In other words, you can't do that and make the text say something that it isn't trying to say. You sir, are eisegeting the text.

-----------
          Mary was also in the line of David. But Matthew 22:42-46 also gives an interesting conversation on this topic.

Furthermore, did Jesus manage to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem?
          -------
          That's because you are reading the texts just as the Pharisees did. They looked at the prophecies, and since they could not grasp the idea that their Messiah would come to die a sacrificial death, they didn't see that the Messiah would have both an advent AND a return. The rest of the prophecies being fulfilled in His return. It's all in Daniel 9.

February 19, 2014 at 9:20 am |
        • theophileo

And in case I haven't said this lately... I HATE the word filter...

February 19, 2014 at 9:20 am |
        • midwest rail

As do most of us, LofA. It can be maddening at times.

February 19, 2014 at 9:23 am |
        • Dyslexic doG

any bible prophesies fulfilled is about the same as your daily horoscope being right. you predict enough things and give it 2,000 years and something will happen that you can twist to fit.

and bear in mind that MOST of the prophesies were added into the bible decades or centuries after the events had happened just to make it look like a prophesy was fulfilled.

centuries of fraud by power hungry, money hungry men!

February 19, 2014 at 9:28 am |

@Theo
          Mary's lineage doesn't matter as tribal line doesn't pass through the mother. But even if it did, Mary isn't descended of David through Solomon.

When was the return of Christ prophesied to happen again?
          “Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour.”
          —1 John 2:18
          Mark 13:29, Luke 21:31, Matthew 24:33, 1 Corinthians 7:29, Hebrews 1:1, Matthew 16:28, and Luke 9:27 all indicate that the 2nd Coming was supposed to have happened during the lifetimes of the Apostles.

From Montanus in the 2nd century to Pope Innocent III in the 12th, to Harold Camping in the 21st, Christians have been saying that Christ is coming back any day now.

February 19, 2014 at 9:40 am |

--------
          When was the last horoscope that you've read that has predi.cted specific names, dates, and occurances, and have been precisely accurate on them?

--------
          Isaiah was written between 700-681BC, Daniel was written between 536-530BC, and Jeremiah between 586-570BC. When are you proposing that they were re-written? Was it before or after Ezra compiled the books of the OT in the 400's BC? Because from his writing, as well as the later quotations of the apostles and Jesus, we know they were accurate at that time.

centuries of fraud by power hungry, money hungry men!
          --------
          Ever since 325AD the Cathohaulic church has introduced a steady flow of corrupt doctrines into the purity of the gospel. That's why the reformation was so important – it purposed to bring Christendom back to its pure roots in the word of God. Men like Luther, Calvin, and later, men like Jonathan Edwards and Charles Spurgeon battled against corruption in their own ways in their own days, and through their studies alone, we know that our Bible is pure. Furthermore, doc.uments like the dead sea scrolls help to reinforce the notion that our modern Bibles are unchanged since the time that the original authors penned them. (But that gets us into the science of textual criticism, so I'll stop here lest I digress)

February 19, 2014 at 9:42 am |
        • Dyslexic doG

@theo

by your logic the Long Island Medium and the Psychic Hotline and the horoscope section of the daily newspaper are also divine and proof of your god? Really? REALLY???

February 19, 2014 at 9:43 am |
        • theophileo

When was the return of Christ prophesied to happen again?
          —1 John 2:18
          -------–
          I didn't say that the day of the 2nd coming was mentioned, but that the arrival of the Messiah was specifically called out. This was in Daniel 9. And yeah, when Jesus came and made the once for all sacrifice for sins, that is the last of the prophecies that needed fulfillment before the end times. So the Apostles rightly acted as though it was about to happen. Prophetically speaking, there is nothing else that needs to be fulfilled before Christ's return, so in that sense, we are in the "last days" since Christ ascended.

--------
          As I just explained, because there are no prophecies to be fulfilled before the second coming, we ARE in the last days, although no man knows the day, nor the hour, but the season will tell us when it is near.

February 19, 2014 at 9:48 am |

-------
          Of course not. Those are not exactly known to be 100% specific and 100% accurate.

February 19, 2014 at 9:49 am |

@Theo
          When exactly was Tyre destroyed, as prophesied in Ezekiel 29?

February 19, 2014 at 9:54 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

So the last 730,000 days or so have been "The Last Days"?
          How many months would you stay at your table eating breadsticks before figuring out that your date stood you up?

February 19, 2014 at 9:59 am |

Doc,
          Surely you can see that "the last days" is a Hebraism...

And I'm working on the other response... The word filter is killing me here...

February 19, 2014 at 10:04 am |
        • theophileo

OK, I'm waiving the white flag to the word filter....
          I'll give the short, SHORT version...
          Ezekiel 26-28, written between 590-570BC mentions that the rubble from the city of Tyre would be thrown into the sea. In 332 BC, Alexander the Great does just that in order to make a 2000 foot long causeway to the island fortress to destroy it...

February 19, 2014 at 10:14 am |
        • believerfred

Doc
          "Given that never in the history of mankind has a supernatural explanation proven to be true, it is far more reasonable to assume a naturalistic cause than a ghostly or divine one."
          =>How is that even possible given acceptable proof is only in and through naturalistic methods and known natural laws. The supernatural is that which is outside the known natural and becomes naturalistic upon human understanding of the physical (i.e. matter).
          We have proof that the supernatural cannot be known or knowable and that man can only explain the created things through and by created things. God still remains the best term for that which cannot be known by man through naturalistic means. God is of substance which is observable by affect which natural man has attempted to explain in terms of Spirit, appearance in man (Jesus) and order (Father). No doubt "God" exists and the Bible gives us a history of revelations concerning the attributes of God.
          I say no doubt because no one can deny what is self evident. Take our universe which does not have apparent boundary in space and time (i,g. the something or nothing argument at boundary). From Abraham to Jesus we see awareness of the hope in a promise (not a physical thing) that was echoed in the earliest forms of worship. The apparent infinite creative capacity expressed in various arts with personal awareness that origin of the creative expression has source (i.e my designs do not come out of thin air they have source). The interchange of chaos and order etc.

February 19, 2014 at 10:20 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

Ezekiel 26 says specifically that Nebuchadnezzar would utterly destroy Tyre.
          Alexander the Great's siege didn't happen for another two and a half centuries.

February 19, 2014 at 10:21 am |
        • theophileo

Prophecies made by Ezekiel against the city of Tyre start in 26:3… God would move “many nations” (Ezekiel 26:3-4) to invade Tyre beginning with Nebuchadnezzar, followed by successive attacks pictured by wave upon wave.

February 19, 2014 at 10:24 am |
        • Robert Brown

Doc Vestibule,

“However, the Hebrew term in Isaiah “almah” which means a “young woman”. "Virgin" is a mistranslation.”

Wrong, it is translated correctly. For every scholarly source you can quote saying it means young women. I can give you a few who say virgin.

“ They say that Jesus is from David's line, but tribal line cannot be passed on through adoption. Jesus cannot be "son of David" through Joseph.”

Jesus speaking here referring to what David wrote in Psalm 110:
          Matthew 22:43-45
          King James Version (KJV)
          43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

44 The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

He is the son of God and therefore cannot have an earthly father. Also, according to the genealogy in Luke, Mary was in David’s line.

“ Furthermore, did Jesus manage tor ebuild the Temple in Jerusalem?”

He was referring to his own body.

“Kind of hard to do since the Temple still stood during Christ's lifetime. Did He re-establish Jewish law as the only law? Did He ave Israel? Lessee – just after His death the Holy Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, Jerusalem was laid to waste,”

Correct prophesied by Jesus.

“ and the Jews went into exile to begin a 1900 year long night of persecution, — largely at the hands of Jesus' followers.”

As God told them would happen, if they didn’t keep the law.

“Is there a world government run from Jerusalem? Did He return all the exiled Jews to Jerusalem?”

These will be fulfilled at the second coming of Christ.

February 19, 2014 at 10:31 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

The "many nations" refers to Nebuchanezzar's allies.
          Ezekiel gives a pretty exact and detailed account of what God said was going to happen and it wasn't a prophecy of a 250 year, multi-national assault.
          God even said that the city would never ever be rebuilt – and yet it was after Alexander's eventual attack.

"For thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people.
          He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field: and he shall make a fort against thee, and cast a mount against thee, and lift up the buckler against thee.
          And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers.
          By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots, when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach.
          With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground.
          And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water.
          And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard.
          And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the Lord have spoken it, saith the Lord God."
          – Ezekiel 26:7

February 19, 2014 at 10:35 am |
        • theophileo

Look at Ezekiel's use of the words "he" and "they." The "he" is used to refer to Neb., whereas the "they" is used to refer back to the "many nations."

February 19, 2014 at 10:44 am |
        • Dyslexic doG

@theo

if the bible is supposed to be the word of god don't you think he'd have been a little more precise so you don't have to perform semantic gymnastics all the time to somehow avoid looking foolish?

for "the word of god" your book is a very contradictory and inaccurate and fanciful and rambling collection of words.

February 19, 2014 at 10:50 am |

@Theo
          Those apologetics are a bit thin...
          What of Ezekiel 29 in which God gave Nebuchadnezzar all of Egypt as a reward?
          History doesn't record his conquest of Egypt...

February 19, 2014 at 10:54 am |

-------–
          The Bible is persp.icuous to the one who is willing to sit down to read it without eisegesis. I'm not performing semantic gymnastics, I'm simply pointing out the author's use of words to convey his ideas. Isn't this done even in reading a newspaper? And how is reading comprehension foolish?

--------
          And now you attack the Bible again instead of conceding the point of the accuracy of Ezekiel's prophecy.

February 19, 2014 at 11:01 am |
        • theophileo

What of Ezekiel 29 in which God gave Nebuchadnezzar all of Egypt as a reward?
          History doesn't record his conquest of Egypt...
          -------
          To make up for Babylon's lack of sufficient reward from Tyre, God allowed a Babylonian conquest of Egypt in 568/67BC.

February 19, 2014 at 11:04 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

How was Egypt his reward if he had been dead for centuries?
          Was Nebudchanezzar another one of the Bible characters who lived for hundreds and hundreds of years?

February 19, 2014 at 11:15 am |
        • theophileo

I don't get your meaning... Neb reigned from 605-562 BC. The Egyptian conquest was 568-567BC....

February 19, 2014 at 11:29 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

The Koran prophesied a number of things that came t o pass.
          It foresaw fingerprints ("Their skins will bear witness against them as to what they have been doing"), industrial pollution ("Corruption has spread on land and sea because of what men’s hands have wrought" ), genetic engineering ("They will alter Allah's creation."), AIDS ("It never happens that permissiveness overwhelms a people to the extent that they display their acts of s.ex shamelessly and they are not uniquely punished by God. Among them, invariably, pestilence is made to spread and such other diseases, the like of which have never been witnessed by their forefathers." ).

Many Muslims will tell you that the Quaran prophecies the Moon Landing.
          “The moon has split and the hour has drawn closer” (The Quran, 54:1)
          The astronauts left the moon in the lunar module containing 21 kilograms of rocks that had belonged to the moon.
          The date this prophecy came to pass was on July 21 1969. The moment the prophecy was fulfilled is confirmed by the hour of departure of the lunar module, which left the lunar surface at 17:54:1 (Universal Time) or 1:54:1 (EDT) and as you have seen above, verse [54:1] is the verse that deals with the prophecy.

Joseph Smith has had a lot of his prophecies come true.
          In late 1832, Smith received a very specific Divine Revelation about the American Civil War which came true.
          "Verily, thus saith the Lord concerning the wars that will shortly come to pass, beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina, which will eventually terminate in the death and misery of many souls; And the time will come that war will be poured out upon all nations, beginning at this place.
          For behold, the Southern States shall be divided against the Northern States, and the Southern States will call on other nations, even the nation of Great Britain, as it is called, and they shall also call upon other nations, in order to defend themselves against other nations; and then war shall be poured out upon all nations.
          And it shall come to pass, after many days, slaves shall rise up against their masters, who shall be marshaled and disciplined for war."

In 1831, Joseph prophesied that "Zion shall flourish upon the hills and rejoice upon the mountains, and shall be assembled together unto the place which I have appointed".
          The Mormon Saints migrated to the Rocky Mountains in 1847, several years after Joseph was killed. There they built settlements and cities along stretches of many hundreds of miles in the West, from Canada to Mexico.

The night before Joseph Smith was killed, as a captive in Carthage Jail, he prophesied that Dan Jones, whose life was clearly at risk, would survive to serve a mission in Wales. This came to pass.

Heck! Maybe I'll get in the game too....
          The Stunning Prophecies of Doctor Humoladonne Q. Vestibule

1) Suri Cruise will be named the 2nd coming of L. Ron Hubbard. From that point on, all photos of the child will prominently display dozens of ficti.tious military decorations.
          2) Kim Kardashian will adopt a 3rd world child and then discard it when it becomes too large to tote around in a handbag.
          3) Iran will breed a race of giant insects that breathe atomic fire. The Ayatollah will claim that they are "purely decorative".
          4) Capitalizing on the success of Botox, plastic surgeons will begin injecting clients with salmonella to promote weight loss. "Salmonex" booths will pop up in mall food courts all over America.
          5) President Obama will continue his communist campaign of terror against rich white people by collectivizing America’s golf courses.
          6) Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un will deliver a rousing, oratory “gangnam style” and command his army to march while miming like they are on horseback.

February 19, 2014 at 11:35 am |

Doc,
          I'd love to keep going back and forth, but I've got to get back to work.

If you're really intetrested in this sort of thing though, Sir Robert Anderson (of Jack the Ripper fame) wrote a great book called "The Coming Prince" which exegetes Daniel 9. Really cool reading.

Later!

February 19, 2014 at 11:49 am |

@Theo
          Sorry – I misread the BC/AD thing...
          But regardless – Babylonian and Egpytian historical doc/uments show that the Babylonian conquest of Egypt happened in 525BCE by Cambyses II, not Neb.

February 19, 2014 at 11:55 am |
        • Doris

I'm sure if I look hard enough, I can find where Nutsadamus predicted my arthritis would be acting up today.

February 19, 2014 at 12:23 pm |
        • joey3467

Biblical prophecies? That is hilarious, I can't believe that people still fall for that one.

February 19, 2014 at 1:05 pm |

Asinine.

February 19, 2014 at 9:35 pm |
  14. derado8

If all the comments on belief blog were a cartoon there would be a Scotsman (not a true one) , there would be a straw man on fire, and there would be Hitler (for the Hitler card) and the three of them would be used as tennis balls being batted back and forth between the opposing sides.

February 18, 2014 at 7:39 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Perhaps a flaming, kilted scarecrow in a swastika tartan?

February 19, 2014 at 8:16 am |
      • midwest rail

Now I want of those, well done.

February 19, 2014 at 9:24 am |
      • derado8

Lol. good one Doc. He'd have to be actively appealing to authority though or popularity ;-)

February 19, 2014 at 11:30 am |
  15. Heaven Sent

Atheists and satanists are one in the same. Throwing their small olive pits in the batter that God made for those that love Christ the Savior. The tree of moss is life in God’s clothing. We are going to eat outside on the couch tonight since my 12-year-old daughter got paid cash. Satanists finally got one of their own bloggers arrested for following Satan, who is the devil.

Amen.

February 18, 2014 at 5:45 pm |
    • Truth Be Told

Amen, Heaven Sent. And since Satan is the devil and since atheist are satanists, atheists are also devinists. Atheists will ruin God's love batter every time. Amen.

February 18, 2014 at 6:39 pm |
      • neverbeenhappieratheist

God batter? Is that why believers always call God a "He"?

February 18, 2014 at 6:47 pm |
      • Akira

God's love batter? what on earth is that?

February 18, 2014 at 6:53 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

Christians believe it's what came out of the Big Bang... :)

February 18, 2014 at 6:55 pm |
        • Akira

*Snerk*

February 18, 2014 at 9:55 pm |
        • Dyslexic doG

classic!

February 18, 2014 at 11:51 pm |
      • Creationists say the darndest things

Is devin a devinist?

February 18, 2014 at 7:10 pm |
    • Heaven Sent

You atheists come on these articles to spew the lies of satan. Well now one of your own is making the devil’s headlines. I ran out of flour but not flea and tick powder. The Lord cries for His prideful children.

Amen.

February 18, 2014 at 6:58 pm |
    • meatheist

" We are going to eat outside on the couch tonight since my 12-year-old daughter got paid cash." And what has this to do with anything? Other than demonstrate that you logical abilities fail.

February 18, 2014 at 7:11 pm |
      • otoh2

psst, it's a parody joke...

(I'm still wondering why you want to be "meat heist" here, though?!)

February 18, 2014 at 7:15 pm |
        • Akira

I still want to know what God's love batter is.

February 18, 2014 at 9:32 pm |
        • Heaven Sent

@Akira

You and your atheists buddies will never know the love batter of God because you are deceived by the devil. Yours will always be lumpy. One kitten fell out of the freezer but the bag of feces saved it. Try swimming upstream and see how far you get.

Amen.

February 18, 2014 at 9:59 pm |
        • Dyslexic doG

@Heaven Sent: you really are a nutjob aren't you?!

3/4 of what you write is unintelligible gibberish and the other 1/4 is just asinine.

February 19, 2014 at 12:03 am |
        • Akira

Whatevs, HSAB. Glad your frozen baggo poo saved your kitty carcass. Tacos for din-din? Perhaps you can make the hard shells out of God's love batter. Holy mole'!

February 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm |
      • Heaven Sent

I hope you like worms because you will spend eternity in hell with your own worm feeding off your fat drippings. My camel-toe is getting a tax refund. Keep showing your pride to God and see what stitch in the jacket comes out first.

Amen.

February 18, 2014 at 7:17 pm |
      • ddeevviinn

It scares me a little that I "get" his sarcastic spoofs while many of his fellow brethren are left pondering.

February 19, 2014 at 2:56 am |
        • Akira

He 'a hilarious, isn't he?

February 19, 2014 at 12:28 pm |
    • wholisa

Atheists and satanists are nothing the same.

Atheists reject the notion of supernatural beings whose existence is based solely on belief without empirical evidence. This would exclude atheists from believing that either Satan or God exists.

February 18, 2014 at 9:36 pm |
      • Heaven Sent

Atheists reject God and blame Him for their misery. Jesus wants to walk on your back and bring you salvation. My camel-toe is giving piano lessons. It is time for you to start your walk with Jesus, who is God.

Amen.

February 18, 2014 at 10:01 pm |
        • wholisa

What? Are you asserting that all atheists are miserable? Many are quite happy people, no different really than people of faith, but probably equally diverse. Have any proof of that they are miserable or is that belief too?

If one doesn't find sufficient evidence to believe that God exists, how would they *blame* someone that they see as non-existent?

If I don't believe that unicorns exist, I would blame them for rainy days??????

February 18, 2014 at 10:26 pm |
        • Heaven Sent

Christians come on these articles to tell atheists Jesus' Truth. Learn to use your ears and mouth to listen to His guidance. My camel-toe survived the staples but is still in the hospital. Keep listening to your father satan and enjoy eternity in hell.

Amen.

February 18, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
    • bootyfunk

you could not be dumber.

February 19, 2014 at 5:07 am |
  16. lunchbreaker

Alls I'm gonna say is that if you are a Satanist, you know darn well when you joined what an uniformed public would think of you and so did the ones who founded Satanism.

February 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm |
    • derado8

Satan wouldn't exist anywhere but in his own head, therefore he is not responsible for the general public's opinion or the actions of Miranda B.
      A group is just a collection of people who think they are thinking the same thing when in all reality they are largely not.

February 18, 2014 at 8:21 pm |
    • derado8

February 18, 2014 at 8:32 pm |
  17. Dyslexic doG

how do you tools read this article and think this nutball is an atheist?

basic reading and comprehension people. Are you that desperate to find a fault with atheism that you have to make something up?

February 18, 2014 at 5:13 pm |
    • Akira

That's exactly what they do, DD. And they will justify it by saying it's because they think Christians are demonized...whatever.

It's really absurd.

February 18, 2014 at 6:09 pm |
    • thefinisher1

Most Satanists are atheist especially teenagers who want to rebel against they're parents and society. Satanism has nothing to do with the worship of Satan and most Satanists don't believe in a deity...so...she's a nutcase atheist. One of your own murdered little doggy! Oh no!😜😃😄😀😊

February 18, 2014 at 6:29 pm |
      • neverbeenhappieratheist

Did you know that Jeffrey Dahmer did not believe in Leprechauns? I mean, you and he share that in common, in fact, most serial killers don't believe in Leprechauns, so you keep some strange company, you and everyone who doesn't believe in Leprechauns. Maybe we should start profiling those who don't believe in Leprechauns and get search warrants for their homes to find out what else they might be hiding... right?

February 18, 2014 at 6:54 pm |
      • Akira

What a fact-free post. You've outdone yourself, L.

February 18, 2014 at 6:54 pm |
      • QuestionsEverything

You really are dense. She's a Satanist, or at least claims to be, plain and simple.

Most religious people are theists, and Kony has killed thousands, so he's a nutcase theist. The Schaible's of PA are Christians, and killed their son, so they are nutcase theists. Several of your own murdered little doggy!
        Please, up your dosage.

February 19, 2014 at 8:50 am |
    • derado8

All of you, even if she were an atheist or a Christian it would NOT be a reflection on you.

I know some people think of it that way but it's faulty logic, and that causes more faulty logic like the "No true Scotsman" you see pictured in the article.

February 19, 2014 at 6:38 pm |