home
RSS
February 28th, 2014

Homeless Jesus statue sparking debate

(CNN)–A sculpture of Jesus as a homeless man installed outside a church causing some controversy, as WCNC's Tony Burbank reports.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Episcopal • Houses of worship • Jesus

1. lookup1721

Fortunately, guessing around about Who Jesus remains optional. All can know Jesus. "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." – John 17:3 In fact, He goes as far as to say that knowing Him is eternal life. You can choose to spend an eternity getting to know the Most High God and you can start today, right here, right now. Don't JUST know OF God but actually know Him. Spend enough time with Him and you'll begin to learn that He desires relationship so so so much more than heartless, systematic, and robotic sacrifices, offerings. God is ALIVE and those who desire to worship & serve Him must do so in Spirit and in Truth.

God is also a Father. Not a tyrannical taskmaster. He desires children who will serve their Father out of love and admiration.

Question (s) to you: What kind of preconceived ideas might you have about Jesus? Do you actually have a genuine desire to know Jesus?

Let Him love you first and you'll learn to love....

March 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm |
  2. thefoeyouknow

Matthew 25:35-40
    35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

March 13, 2014 at 6:52 pm |
    • jimmo42

Shame on you for expect Christians to follow their own holy book.

March 14, 2014 at 8:57 am |
      • jimmo42

expecting

March 14, 2014 at 8:57 am |
  3. idiotusmaximus

Since Jesus is a fictional person that's never been proven to exist which wouldn't be possible anyway since you can't prove fictional people to be real....why even care about this crap?

March 13, 2014 at 6:05 pm |
    • jimmo42

The evidence that Jesus existed as a person is historiographically pretty sound. In fact, we have more evidence that Jesus existed than for *most people* who were alive around the same time. The only way you can make the claim therre is no evidence is to simply ignore all of the dozens of sources without any justification. However, historians don't work like that.

March 14, 2014 at 9:01 am |
  4. idiotusmaximus

Reblogged this on mrwaynejames and commented:
    Getting into a discussion of Jesus is like getting into a debate over Harry Potter....their both fictional characters....so what's the point?

March 13, 2014 at 6:03 pm |
  5. Dalahäst

AM I A PROUD OR A BROKEN PERSON?
    (by Nancy DeMoss)

1. Proud people focus on the failures of others.
    Broken people are overwhelmed with a sense of their own spiritual need.

2. Proud people have a critical, fault-finding spirit; they look at everyone else’s faults with a microscope but their own with a telescope.
    Broken people are compassionate; they can forgive much because they know how much they have been forgiven.

3. Proud people are self-righteous; they look down on others.
    Broken people esteem all others better than themselves.

4. Proud people have an independent, self-sufficient spirit.
    Broken people have a dependent spirit; they recognize their need for others.

5. Proud people have to prove that they are right.
    Broken people are willing to yield the right to be right.

6. Proud people claim rights; they have a demanding spirit.
    Broken people yield their rights; they have a meek spirit.

7. Proud people are self-protective of their time, their rights, and their reputation.
    Broken people are self-denying.

8. Proud people desire to be served.
    Broken people are motivated to serve others.

9. Proud people desire to be a success.
    Broken people are motivated to be faithful and to make others a success.

10. Proud people desire self-advancement.
    Broken people desire to promote others.

11. Proud people have a drive to be recognized and appreciated.
    Broken people have a sense of their own unworthiness; they are thrilled that God would use them at all.

12. Proud people are wounded when others are promoted and they are overlooked.
    Broken people are eager for others to get the credit; they rejoice when others are lifted up.

13. Proud people feel confident in how much they know.
    Broken people are humbled by how very much they have to learn.

14. Proud people are quick to blame others.
    Broken people accept personal responsibility and can see where they are wrong in a situation.

15. Proud people are unapproachable or defensive when criticized.
    Broken people receive criticism with a humble, open spirit.

March 7, 2014 at 4:42 pm |
    • Reality

Do no harm and you will be just fine.

March 7, 2014 at 11:38 pm |
      • Dalahäst

It is easy to say do no harm, but challenging to pull off. Especially if one lives in reality.

March 8, 2014 at 4:00 am |
        • Reality

And what reality might that be? The myths and supersti-tions of Christianity or Islam or Judaism or Hinduism or Mormonism?

March 9, 2014 at 8:09 am |
        • Dalahäst

You don't appear to be in touch with reality.

References available upon request.

March 9, 2014 at 9:43 am |
        • fintronics

Your biblical scholars again dala?. How about one bit of scientific evidence? we're waiting

March 10, 2014 at 2:27 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Who is "we"? Do you also post as "Reality"? Or are there 2 or more of you posting under your handle?

March 11, 2014 at 1:02 am |
        • fintronics

Nope just me..... "we" as in the people who are not deluded by the sham that is religion.

March 11, 2014 at 2:20 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Oh, the "superior atheists" that are deluded by their own egos.

March 11, 2014 at 2:25 pm |
        • markinfla

It is egotistical to not believe the same thing YOU believe? I think perhaps you are projecting your own inflated ego upon others,

March 25, 2014 at 11:23 pm |
        • Dalahäst

+It is egotistical to not believe the same thing YOU believe?

+I think perhaps you are projecting your own inflated ego upon others,

I do that sometimes, yes.

March 26, 2014 at 4:39 pm |
      • derado8

Everybody harms something or someone in course with survival. You can try and minimize it but bare minimum almost everyone is going to eat a burger.

March 9, 2014 at 8:56 am |
      • derado8

I love animals, they are warm and cuddly, they never lie to you, they'll never sue you, they are soft and beautiful and capable of tears and emotion.

I love animals they are delicious.

Both of these things are true.

March 9, 2014 at 8:59 am |
    • igaftr

What a load of rubbish this is....people are either proud or broken?
      What a load of pompous crap.

March 9, 2014 at 9:10 am |
      • Dalahäst

Yea, and you are so umpompous like. :) I often fit on both sides, so it isn't just 1 or the other. Read between the lines...

March 9, 2014 at 9:45 am |
      • fintronics

What do you expect from someone who confuses mythology with reality?

March 10, 2014 at 2:29 pm |
        • Dalahäst

I know the difference between mythology and reality. I also know that myths can reveal truths that science is incapable of providing. I fully embrace and appreciate science. But I know it isn't the only gauge on reality.

March 11, 2014 at 1:04 am |
        • fintronics

Wrong! truth requires EVIDENCE, not myths.

March 11, 2014 at 2:23 pm |
  6. thesamyaza

Yup Jesus was a vagrant, wino, and witch

and you take advice from the y guy!

March 5, 2014 at 8:21 pm |
    • derado8

To be fair so was I in my freshman year.

March 5, 2014 at 8:23 pm |
      • Akira

Lol. Ok, that was funny!

March 5, 2014 at 8:49 pm |
        • derado8

I think I still have my deck of tarot somewhere. Gave up the Boone's farm though. :-)

March 5, 2014 at 9:01 pm |
    • Vic

John 8:23
      "23 And He was saying to them, “You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world."" (NASB)

March 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm |
      • Reality

And from Professor Gerd Ludemann, in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 416,

"Anyone looking for the historical Jesus will not find him in the Gospel of John. "

March 6, 2014 at 11:42 pm |
  7. derado8

I met a homeless woman today. Right near my house. She was a really nice lady. I don't know what happened but it sure is happening to a lot of people.

March 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm |