home
RSS
How evangelicals won a war and lost a generation
Are church teachings on homosexuality driving millennials away from faith?
March 31st, 2014

How evangelicals won a war and lost a generation

Opinion by Rachel Held Evans, special to CNN

(CNN) - On March 24, World Vision announced that the U.S. branch of the popular humanitarian organization would no longer discriminate against employees in same-sex marriages.

It was a decision that surprised many but one that made sense, given the organization’s ecumenical nature.

But on March 26, World Vision President Richard Stearns reversed the decision, stating, “our board acknowledged that the policy change we made was a mistake.”

Supporters helped the aid group “see that with more clarity,” Stearns added, “and we’re asking you to forgive us for that mistake.”

So what happened within those 48 hours to cause such a sudden reversal?

The Evangelical Machine kicked into gear.

Albert Mohler Jr., president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, said the decision pointed to “disaster,” and the Assemblies of God denomination encouraged its members to pull their financial support from the organization.

Evangelicals took to Twitter and Facebook to threaten to stop sending money to their sponsored children unless World Vision reversed course.

Within a day of the initial announcement, more than 2,000 children sponsored by World Vision lost their financial support. And with more and more individuals, churches and organizations threatening to do the same, the charity stood to lose millions of dollars in aid that would otherwise reach the poor, sick, hungry and displaced people World Vision serves.

So World Vision reversed course.

Stearns told The New York Times that some people, satisfied with the reversal, have called World Vision headquarters to ask, “Can I have my child back?” as though needy children are expendable bargaining chips in the culture war against gay and lesbian people.

Many of us who grew up evangelical watched with horror as these events unfolded.

As a longtime supporter of World Vision, I encouraged readers of my blog to pick up some of the dropped sponsorships after the initial decision. I then felt betrayed when World Vision backtracked, though I urged my readers not to play the same game but to keep supporting their sponsored children, who are of course at no fault in any of this.

But most of all, the situation put into stark, unsettling relief just how misaligned evangelical priorities have become.

When Christians declare that they would rather withhold aid from people who need it than serve alongside gays and lesbians helping to provide that aid, something is wrong.

There is a disproportionate focus on homosexuality that consistently dehumanizes, stigmatizes and marginalizes gay and lesbian people and, at least in this case, prioritizes the culture war against them over and against the important work of caring for the poor.

Evangelicals insist that they are simply fighting to preserve “biblical marriage,” but if this were actually about “biblical marriage,” then we would also be discussing the charity’s policy around divorce.

But we’re not.

Furthermore, Scripture itself teaches that when we clothe and feed those in need, we clothe and feed Christ himself, and when we withhold care from those in need, we withhold it from Christ himself (Matthew 25:31-46).

Why are the few passages about homosexuality accepted uncritically, without regard to context or culture, but the many about poverty so easily discarded?

As I grieved with my (mostly 20- and 30-something) readers over this ugly and embarrassing situation, I heard a similar refrain over and over again: “I don’t think I’m an evangelical anymore. I want to follow Jesus, but I can’t be a part of this.”

I feel the same way.

Whether it’s over the denial of evolutionary science, continued opposition to gender equality in the church, an unhealthy alliance between religion and politics or the obsession with opposing gay marriage, evangelicalism is losing a generation to the culture wars.

A recent survey from Public Religion Research Institute revealed that nearly one-third of millennials who left their childhood faith did so because of “negative teachings” or “negative treatment” of gay and lesbian people.

Christians can disagree about what the Bible says (or doesn’t say) about same-sex marriage. This is not an issue of orthodoxy. But when we begin using child sponsorships as bargaining tools in our debates, we’ve lost the way of Jesus.

So my question for those evangelicals is this: Is it worth it?

Is a “victory” against gay marriage really worth leaving thousands of needy children without financial support?

Is a “victory” against gay marriage worth losing more young people to cynicism regarding the church?

Is a “victory” against gay marriage worth perpetuating the idea that evangelical Christians are at war with LGBT people?

And is a “victory” against gay marriage worth drowning out that quiet but persistent internal voice that asks, "what if we get this wrong?"

I’m going AWOL on evangelicalism's culture wars so I can get back to following Jesus among its many refugees: LGBT people, women called to ministry, artists, science-lovers, misfits, sinners, doubters, thinkers and “the least of these.”

I’m ready to stop waging war and start washing feet.

Rachel Held Evans is the author of "Evolving in Monkey Town" and "A Year of Biblical Womanhood." She blogs at rachelheldevans.com. The views expressed in this column belong to Rachel Held Evans.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Culture wars • Discrimination • Ethics • evangelicals • Gay marriage • Gay rights • Homosexuality • Opinion • Same-sex marriage

soundoff (2,141 Responses)
  1. Dyslexic doG

How is it that a few words written on parchment by some unnamed, ignorant, desert dwelling goat herder a few thousand years ago can do such long lasting damage to LGBT people today?

Why is it than in a modern country like America, so many people switch off all common sense and logic and believe the fairy stories and hateful rhetoric written by this ignorant, desert dwelling goat herder and his ilk over the centuries?

March 31, 2014 at 9:47 pm |
  2. orion5williams

You can believe what you want, but in the end, these beliefs are leading an entire generation to Hell. A place if fire and brimstone. Evolution is false, being gay is wrong, and there are plenty of examples of God, the one true God, the Great I Am destroying entire peoples because of these beliefs. If you don't believe that, then you are part if the problem.

March 31, 2014 at 9:25 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

what are you trying to say?

March 31, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The first paragraph quotes the article, the second paragraph appears to be the posters point of view.

March 31, 2014 at 9:56 pm |
        • Dyslexic doG

merci

March 31, 2014 at 9:59 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Please tell me you are kidding.

March 31, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

All that proves is you believe in an asshat of a god.

March 31, 2014 at 10:19 pm |
    • anovemberdusk

Trying to rally the ability to care...but I just can't. You Christians just sound like adults in Charlie Brown. Lotsa womp womp womp womp without ever actually raising a concise point that matters. And you wonder why the younger generation doesn't care. It is because all you people do is spout fire and brimstone rage in an attempt to scare us. Guess what it is failing at an alarming rate. What will be hilarious is you having to watch the entire church establishment crumble before you die. At the least it will be relegated to the minority.

March 31, 2014 at 11:27 pm |
  3. rjccooper

Not just your 20, 30, or 40 somethings are questioning the Evangelical view. As a 58 yr old, conservative, even Texas born and raised, I have had the same thoughts Ms. Evans expressed. The constant barrage from the Radically Religious Right,( my terminology) has probably turned away more followers, than attracted. Comes from them trying to shove their religion into my politics, or their politics into my religion. I also apologize for Texas' bad press, the majority of Texans are sane and normal, they are having the same questions of conscious, it is just that some of our current politicians and their inbred cousins get all the good press.

March 31, 2014 at 8:59 pm |
    • midwest rail

Indeed. Contemporary evangelical Christians lead the world in turning people off from Christianity.

March 31, 2014 at 9:01 pm |
    • adamjread

Thanks very much for your post, rj, especially as a Texan. You're looking around and paying attention. So very nice to see.

March 31, 2014 at 9:13 pm |
    • 13monkees

Here's the thing. You can justify everything the evangelicals are saying. You can justify everything Rev. Fred Phelps preached. The bible is an immoral book and no one should follow it. I am not saying you shouldn't believe in a supreme being, I don't happen to because I don't believe there's any evidence to suggest I should. However, if you call yourself a Christian or a Jew, and you believe the bible is your deity's word, you must accept the things in it that are less than savory. Slavery, genocide, the killing of children for disrespect, women are property, and numerous other horrible things. You can't say the New Testament got rid of those things either. Jesus is said to have told his disciples that he was not here to abolish the law and that the law was to be followed. Of course, he also said he would return before the last disciple died. Anyway, I simply state this to point out that the bible is not a nice book and the evangelicals are probably more correct in their interpretation.

March 31, 2014 at 9:38 pm |
  4. bluebyyou666

It wasn't a mistake, but the correct decision at this time, IMO.

World Vision, that is a positive sounding Organization... the usual 'movement' is to 'Stress' against anything that would seem like a positive move towards gay men, especially within

the Conservative Churches of Christianity. It's not like we are Friends of Jesus, everyone should know that by now.

Remember, it has been a long, long time to reach this latest 'Development' from ah... 'gay christians'.

Religiously, it would be 'smart' to 'let it go' and get with the 'rolling times' far simpler to happily agree with 'relaxed Christians of America' who are usually okay with everything

gay.

By doing so, Conservative Christians may actually be able to gain a Distinction upon other Christians of this nation. It's a Separation that might someday be VALUABLE religiously to a Christian of America, a Religious one... Cast off the Wicked Liberal Chaff as it were.

The fact is that Gay Marriage may be just what the Christian Doctor ordered.

If there do end up some Gay Men in Heaven, that would be most interesting. Especially if they are Married.

If you are an actual Christian, well... stick around some... in 10,000 years or so, who knows who might show up.

What would He do with them?

Gays don't seem to see a threat there... which is the most interesting thing about Gay Marriage thus far.

March 31, 2014 at 8:54 pm |
    • observer

bluebyyou666,

Heaven may be pretty empty for gays because of so many Christian adulterer HYPOCRITES who didn't make it.

March 31, 2014 at 8:58 pm |
  5. cindyvvideo

How many gays does God have to create before you come to the realization that he wants them here?

March 31, 2014 at 8:50 pm |
  6. Laura Harbert Allen

Reblogged this on SpinBeat and commented:
    Spot on...

March 31, 2014 at 8:44 pm |
  7. adamjread

If you turn the Bible upside down, it makes a whole lot more sense.

God isn't the good guy in the story. He is a terrified little boy who feels worthless, powerless, and out of control and has put on a power suit to allow him to feel the opposite. In his quest for control, he made the horrible mistake of drowning hundreds of millions of his own children, and incinerated a city full of people he didn't understand. He is in desperate need of rehabilitation and help from his own creation to show him what it truly means to set a healthy example as a father.

...He has just been running away from his own fears for so long, he is completely unable and incapable of asking for help.

We need to show him how this is supposed to look, as no father should ever plan his own son's death and relabel it as an act of saving mercy for the world.

It cannot be overstated enough....He needs our help, and he needs to finally give his wife a say in how the world should run. After all, this planet bears her signature, not his, as it is protected from the rest of the universe in the very same manner as a womb protects a developing child.

...We just happen to call the womb the Ozone Layer.

March 31, 2014 at 8:20 pm |
  8. Susan Irene Fox

Rachel, just wanted you to know that I'm in my 60s and I agree with you 100%. We cannot do as Jesus required (love God and love our neighbors) as long as we act on fear, shame, humiliation, finger-pointing and divisiveness. Jesus welcomed all, accepted all, ate with all. My own blog with carry a post about this tomorrow – it is that important. Those of us who follow Jesus and choose to be a beacon of love cannot allow fear and hate to overshadow our message – His message. God is love, and that is the Good News. It is sad that personal and political agendas have overshadowed what we are called to do.

March 31, 2014 at 8:10 pm |
  9. philvollman

Reblogged this on Phil Vollman Speaks.

March 31, 2014 at 7:54 pm |
  10. cindiendicott

How long does it take a post to get posted? Jeesh!

March 31, 2014 at 7:46 pm |
    • cindiendicott

Well, let me break it into shorter parts – perhaps that's the problem.

I appreciate the article, but don't think you should throw the baby out with the bathwater. It really is NOT about the children. It seems to me that the reason so many people choose to support children through World Vision, in the first place, is because they feel that their beliefs and worldviews are best represented by this organization. Those who have withdrawn their sponsorship of children through World Vision will mostly continue to sponsor children, but prefer to do so without enriching an organization that is less and less a representation of their own personal views. Why? Perhaps because in their minds this is the first step down a slippery slope leading to compromise, and the eventual loss of those values which made them effective in the first place. Plausible.

March 31, 2014 at 7:49 pm |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

There is nothing valuable about those "values".

March 31, 2014 at 7:53 pm |
        • cindiendicott

I am so glad that you life all figured out. It must make you feel really good deep inside.
          And with a swift keystroke he has eliminated the values of 1/6th of the population of the world.
          Kudos to the unanswerable wisdom of 'Blessed are the Cheesmakers.'

March 31, 2014 at 8:02 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

1/6 of the world "valued" slavery at one time, that said nothing as to its morality. Same thing here. And before you accuse me of "having it all figured out" I suggest you look at yourself.

March 31, 2014 at 8:16 pm |
      • observer

cindiendicott,

Should we just go with the Bible's view of marriage? Are you a fan of FORCED marriages or women being prizes of war?

March 31, 2014 at 8:08 pm |
        • cindiendicott

Of course not. How ridiculous that would be.

March 31, 2014 at 8:47 pm |
        • fairytalesareforkids

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 (KJV)

28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

March 31, 2014 at 8:57 pm |
    • cindiendicott

Here's a hypothetical. What if the opposite were true? Imagine that there existed a liberal, secular organization that had a worldwide child sponsorship program, which actually worked, and was not enriching its godless, immoral leadership. (Already difficult to imagine, I know, but bear with me) And now imagine that the leadership of that organization has a radical change of personal belief, acknowledging their sin, their need of God, and coming to place their faith in Jesus Christ.

March 31, 2014 at 7:51 pm |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

God has nothing to do with morality...being godless does not equate to immorality.

March 31, 2014 at 7:56 pm |
        • cindiendicott

I have been trying for 30 minutes to post a thought on this. Now I can only post pieces and the full picture does not come across. I guess I will just give up. This comment section won't let me post the rest of what I have... oh well, have fun everybody!

March 31, 2014 at 7:59 pm |
      • Jac

this is not actually a hypothetical, because members LGBTQ already supporting children have not organized a mass dump of their sponsorships. They might not make up new sponsorships....but they certainly are not using the children as pawns...and yes that is indeed what is being done here.

March 31, 2014 at 8:12 pm |
        • Akira

I agree. And that's reprehensible.

March 31, 2014 at 9:13 pm |
      • rbeebe0519

wow, cindi the judgment in your voice goes along way to invalidate your statement... or take you seriously otherwise

March 31, 2014 at 8:16 pm |
      • benjordan03

If their "radical change in belief" was that they would no longer discriminate against people that arent like them? Like, say they decided they would allow christians into their organization instead of only secular people. VERY VERY few secular people would withdraw their support for the organization... because, for the most part, secular people arent bigots.

March 31, 2014 at 8:17 pm |
      • fairytalesareforkids

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has donated over 20 Billion dollars to help those in need. They have also inspired other billionaires to donate most or all of their wealth to charity. All without the need for a perceived reward from any deities.

March 31, 2014 at 9:03 pm |
    • Vic

There is word filter that blocks certain letter combinations embedded in full words, e.g. "t i t" as in "Cons t i t ution, t i t le, etc." There is a list of the majority of those combinations somewhere.

Many poster may have a copy handy.

March 31, 2014 at 8:07 pm |
      • Vic

"..a word filter.."

"Many posters.."

March 31, 2014 at 8:27 pm |
        • cindiendicott

Thanks,Vic. The strange thing was that it never said that I could not post it. And when I tried to post it again, it said duplicate and would not process it. I was actually trying to play devil's on my comments, but since it could not all get posted it came out sounding as if I were in favor of people withdrawing their support of children with World Vision.

March 31, 2014 at 8:37 pm |
  11. lewcypher

why do christians concern themselves with what two loving people do with their genitalia?

March 31, 2014 at 7:37 pm |
    • Akira

I really don't know...Jesus said not one word about it; doesn't look as if he was that concerned with who loved who...

March 31, 2014 at 8:00 pm |
  12. hotairace

"I, for one, am tired of arguing. I’m tired of trying to defend evangelicalism when its leaders behave indefensibly." indicates Rachael is not far from being on the road to becoming a recovering christian.

March 31, 2014 at 7:30 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g68N0TKxIQs&w=640&h=390]

March 31, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
  13. James XCIX

Anyone who stopped sponsoring or threatened to stop sponsoring their child over this issue should be embarrassed. Christians say all actions considered to be sin are equally bad in their God's judgement, yet they always seem to have their pet sins/sinners that they like to target over others. What a disgrace.

March 31, 2014 at 7:25 pm |
    • readerpan

You are known by the company you keep. Why would anyone want to be known for withdrawing food from hungry children.

March 31, 2014 at 7:52 pm |
    • byron1960

Those who stopped sponsoring children as a way to express their disagreement should be embarrassed? Embarrassed?

These children are real. They have names, ages, faces. These sponsors chose those children individually. They made a commitment to them.

Embarrassed? Ashamed!

Sacrifice vulnerable children like a chip in a poker game. And they call themselves the Real Christians?

If these judgmental Pharisees disagreed with World Vision's decision they could call, write, post, etc. Take it out on the children? How courageous and noble. How compassionate.

Possibly they should do a scriptural review of what the Bible has to say about children and those who would put them at risk. (Yeah, I know. I'm advocating they live by entire Word, not just the lifestyle lightening rods they choose to focus on.....)

Possibly World Vision's board/leadership aren't the only ones in need of some repentance

March 31, 2014 at 8:13 pm |
  14. gfwtres

The Episcopal Church welcomes you: Gay, Straight, and former Evangelicals.

March 31, 2014 at 7:18 pm |
    • observer

It's good to see a church that may actually practice the Golden Rule.

March 31, 2014 at 8:02 pm |
    • G to the T

Your the ones that think Joe Pisacpo is the second coming right?

(LOL... sorry, couldn't resist)

April 1, 2014 at 11:49 am |
  15. twoinchtammy

Rachel Held Evans – Thank you for that. As a non-believer I struggle to understand how any organized religion can so confidently go forward in their faith as if they were picking and choosing at a Chinese Buffet. This blog, though contradictory to my own personal beliefs and morals, is a refreshing and truly righteous challenge to your leaders. I commend you for speaking out against a wrong you've seen as your people traverse the spiritual mine-field of human rights.

March 31, 2014 at 7:17 pm |
  16. Sara

Bravo, Rachel, Bravo! Thank you for speaking up for the "least of these." Your words refresh my soul and my faith and my determination to follow Christ in spite of the culture wars.

March 31, 2014 at 7:06 pm |
  17. jvance83

Religions have the power to do great good. From offering solace to the individual to providing a positive vision for millions. Though the ultimate spiritual leader is God and his vision, the on-site management is comprised of fallible humans.
    It has been said that "The Almighty has His own purposes". When we misinterpret those purposes there is a risk of permanently subverting the greater good to be offered.

March 31, 2014 at 7:00 pm |
  18. joshocom

I'm trying to remember which passage in the NT depicts Jesus, about to heal someone, stopping to find out first if they're straight or gay, black or white, male or female, Republican or Democrat.

March 31, 2014 at 6:57 pm |
    • doobzz

He did call the Canaanite woman a dog.

March 31, 2014 at 7:08 pm |
      • G to the T

To be fair though, she was U-G-L-Y, so I might have called her a dog too.

April 1, 2014 at 11:59 am |
        • doobzz

You saw her? Wow, you're old.

April 1, 2014 at 11:59 am |
        • G to the T

Naw – but I've got a copy of the picture bible and it is not a flattering portrayal...

April 2, 2014 at 12:59 pm |
  19. Vic

What I believe:

Christianity DOES NOT condone sin in any way or fashion, instead, it offers the solution, Salvation by the Grace of God through Faith ALONE in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

We have God's message through Scripture, hence "Special Revelation," and through Creation, hence "Natural Revelation."

One would be mistaken to think this is a simple issue for Christians.

While we know from Scripture, hence "Special Revelation," that the issue of sin is resolved by redemption through the "Precious Blood" of the Lord Jesus Christ, same-sex marriage in particular is not a resolved issue in practical terms, that is in terms of being "generally" applicable in a natural setting, hence human nature, hence "Natural Revelation."

The natural setting of the majority of people is heterosexuality, it is the underlying force that prevents homosexuality from being "generally" applicable in real life, it would have to always be a "special" setting or application.

This is a natural majority issue where homosexuality is the exception to the rule.

March 31, 2014 at 6:57 pm |
    • Doris

Looney tunes and no wonder more and more of the younger generation wants any part of your idiotic dogma.

March 31, 2014 at 7:11 pm |
    • observer

Vic,

The large majority of people are naturally right-handed. What should be do about the unnatural left-handed people?

March 31, 2014 at 7:17 pm |
      • Vic

When it comes to human nature, sexuality is a showstopper.

March 31, 2014 at 7:31 pm |
        • observer

Vic,

Probably nearly every gay was born to two heteros. So tell us this is not "natural".

March 31, 2014 at 7:33 pm |
        • Doris

I've heard about that kind of thing for places like Vegas, but I have no interest in that kind of place, Vic.

March 31, 2014 at 7:36 pm |
        • Vic

That's the difference between general, hence majority, and special, hence minority, that I indicated in my OP.

March 31, 2014 at 7:37 pm |
        • observer

Vic,

News for you. Gays and lesbians can have children. Try again.

March 31, 2014 at 7:39 pm |
        • ausphor

Vic
          Would you please stop talking as if you talk for all of Christianity, you and your ilk are a small fringe group of Christian nutters that are far from the mainstream of Christianity. So start of by stating that fact.

March 31, 2014 at 7:41 pm |
      • byron1960

@Vic- what to do with lefties? The solution is obvious. It's what we used to do in the US, and still do in a large number of countries around the world today. Beat them. Beat them until they start using the correct hand. The "right" hand. And I should know. I had the mistaken notion that I was born left-handed. My penmanship sucks today, but I'm more capable of using a computer mouse and all those right-handed power tools. I can use "normal" golf clubs. Thanks to God I was rescued from my unwise hand selection as a small child.

March 31, 2014 at 8:00 pm |
        • Vic

Ah..another mistake.

This is not about changing who a person is, this is about the inability to conform the general setting to the special setting in practical terms, which I portrayed in my OP.

March 31, 2014 at 8:26 pm |
        • observer

Vic,

Why do you REJECT what Jesus did when he considered the Golden Rule to be MORE IMPORTANT than verses against gays? Any answer other than HYPOCRISY?

March 31, 2014 at 8:32 pm |
        • byron1960

Vic – surely you recognized my response as tongue in cheek.

And yes, societies globally still insist that the individual conform to the majority. While some forms of coercion appear mild in comparison, too many are downright deadly. Such intolerance occurs across all facets, be it cultural, political, religious, etc.

March 31, 2014 at 8:36 pm |
        • Vic

I do not reject what Jesus Christ said, I am a proponent of the Golden Rule.

March 31, 2014 at 8:37 pm |
        • observer

Vic,

So why bring up negative verses about gays, which Jesus never did? Why not stress the MORE IMPORTANT Golden Rule that he said was so important?

March 31, 2014 at 8:41 pm |
        • Vic

Where did I do that?!

March 31, 2014 at 8:43 pm |
        • observer

Vic,

Your comments from the Bible have been about the sin of gays rather than the more important Golden Rule when dealing with them.

March 31, 2014 at 8:51 pm |
        • Vic

That's a flat out lie, I have never done that.

March 31, 2014 at 11:49 pm |
      • traumadog

Don't laugh – it really was like that.

Hence "Sinistrous" – sinister, or left-handed.

March 31, 2014 at 9:41 pm |
    • Doris

Gospels – authors unknown
      Peter 2 (where Peter allegedly gives the stamp of approval to Paul's works as "the Word") – authorship unknown (and where most Biblical scholars agree Peter is not the author)

March 31, 2014 at 7:17 pm |
    • ausphor

Vic
      Your posts are getting crazier day after day. Perhaps you should seek treatment in the secular world, not much point going to a religious inst!tution, for help.

March 31, 2014 at 7:25 pm |
    • sam stone

without the concept of sin, christianity is dead in the water

March 31, 2014 at 8:16 pm |
      • ddeevviinn

Without a doubt, this is the most intelligent statement you have made.

March 31, 2014 at 9:35 pm |
        • sam stone

Ergo, christianity needs "sin" to survive

April 1, 2014 at 6:24 am |
  20. whatdoyouthinkofit

Evangelicals are clinging to their Bible, which they refuse to admit is fanciful or outdated. They are free to. They can stand still, and the rest of us will just pass them by. Sad that Muslims will take their place, as they are uncivilized barbarians at best, but the loss of christians who cannot get with the times, is no loss. You cannot defend the indefensible and it is REALLY funny that they are losing converts BECAUSE of their hateful ways, when they used to gain people because of them. In an age of marketing and branding, they are losing. No great loss. They are just proving their book to be more and more useless when they deny where it is weak.

March 31, 2014 at 6:55 pm |