home
RSS
June 23rd, 2014

Christian woman freed from death sentence

(CNN) - A Sudanese woman has been freed from prison a month after being sentenced to die by hanging for refusing to renounce her Christian faith.

"I am a Christian," Meriam Yehya Ibrahim told the judge at her sentencing hearing in May, "and I will remain a Christian."

An appeals court in Sudan ruled that a lower court's judgment against the 27-year-old was faulty, her lawyer, Mohaned Mustafa El-Nour, said Monday. He declined to elaborate.

An international controversy erupted over Ibraham's conviction in May by a Sudanese court on charges of apostasy, or the renunciation of faith, and adultery. Ibrahim was eight months pregnant when was sentenced to suffer 100 lashes and then be hanged.

"I'm so frustrated. I don't know what to do," her husband, Daniel Wani told CNN in May. "I'm just praying." Wani, uses a wheelchair and "totally depends on her for all details of his life," Ibrahim's lawyer said.

Ibrahim was reunited with her husband after getting out of custody, her lawyer said Monday.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Africa • Belief • Christianity • Church and state • Discrimination • Foreign policy • Islam • Islamic law • Persecution • Prejudice • Religious liberty • Sharia

1. joeyy1

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeedE8vH1FQ&w=640&h=390]

June 26, 2014 at 9:48 am |
  2. blessed137

Praise God for her release. Many prayers all over the world have gone up to God. Standing up for one's faith is never easy. Either a religion or secluar opinion will try to knock you down. Miriam is a strong courage woman who is confident in her God. God was, is, and always will be. And so will we who acknowledge Him.

June 24, 2014 at 11:25 am |
    • blessed137

That happened fast, but doesnt suprise me. You know how many times Paul was arrested, let go rearrested. Poor guy. Praise God for her first release. And for her official victory.

June 24, 2014 at 12:14 pm |
      • kenmargo

"Praise God for her first release. And for her official victory"

Her official victory? This isn't NASCAR!

"Praise God for her first release."

So you've reduced god to half victories. If I was god, I'd kill you because you make him look bad!

June 24, 2014 at 3:48 pm |
      • blessed137

If I was God Id kill you. Seriously. This isnt nascar. Seriously. Half Victories? God does not do half victories. never said that you did. Jesus giving his life for everyman to have eternal life is by far a half victory. Yeah I know you dont believe that, but your beliefs have no ground for being rude and hateful. You can claim that Im crazy for what I believe, however you claim to kill someone if you were a God you believe doesnt exist.

June 24, 2014 at 9:29 pm |
      • In Santa We Trust

Did your god lose its omnipotence and omniscience? Doesn't bode well for universe creation if it can't protect one believer properly.

June 24, 2014 at 9:42 pm |
      • blessed137

Does more than protect us properly according to his ways of what is proper, not yours. He gives us eternal life. Everything that is seen is temporary, everything that is unseen is eternal.

June 24, 2014 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Theo Phileo

Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Him all people here below, praise Him above ye heavenly hosts, praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, Amen.

June 24, 2014 at 7:55 am |
  4. ragansteve1

Praise the Lord!

June 23, 2014 at 9:42 pm |
    • kenmargo

Why? like you, he hasn't done a damn thing to be praised about!

June 23, 2014 at 10:22 pm |
    • Athy

What does the fucking lord have to do with this? You religies are truly wackos.

June 24, 2014 at 2:02 am |
      • jhg45

why are you even here?

June 24, 2014 at 9:44 am |
  5. Reality

How long is the global community going to tolerate the insanity of Islam and religion in general?????

June 23, 2014 at 5:42 pm |
    • bostontola

Hopefully for ever, religion should be allowed to go its own course as long as it doesn't impress its beliefs on people.

June 23, 2014 at 5:50 pm |
    • workingcopy12

What do you propose–outlawing a belief structure? Require registration? Shall the religious be required to wear some type of emblem so the nonreligious can avoid them (a gold star perhaps?) If the religious become too organized, shall the world break up their communities? Families? Will Amtrack be called into duty perhaps? Concentrate now, let's all go camping.

June 23, 2014 at 6:10 pm |
    • kenmargo

When it comes to Islam. The middle east won't let it die. If you don't believe, you'll get one of those Arab haircuts. It starts and stops at the neck.

Christianity is dying a slow death. Thanks to the internet and people slowly coming to their senses.

June 23, 2014 at 6:35 pm |
      • workingcopy12

Last statistics I saw estimated just over 2.1 billion Christians in the world. You're going to have to pick up the pace of the "slow death" if you want to realize any meaningful change.

June 23, 2014 at 6:44 pm |
        • kenmargo

I've heard all kinds of numbers when it comes to the number of people that are religious. Here in NY more and more catholic schools are closing. I guess people don't believe enough to give. Gay marriage is taking hold across the country. Abortion is gaining in acceptance. Less (straight) people feel the need to get married and despite the church trying to stop people from having s3x, people are hornier today than ever. The church influence is waning and there's nothing that can be done to stop it.

June 23, 2014 at 7:19 pm |
        • ddeevviinn

ken

You remember that little thingy called the Roman Empire?

June 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm |

@dd

Fvck the roman empire. I'm talking about today, right now.

June 23, 2014 at 10:20 pm |
        • kenmargo

Right on dd. Change the subject. Run away from the truth. Stick your head up your azz. When confronted by facts ignore them and talk about anything else. Coward.

June 23, 2014 at 10:43 pm |
        • ddeevviinn

My apologies. I did not realize the level of your mentality when I made the reply. Had I known, I would have never done so.

June 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm |
        • kenmargo

@ dd AKA dum dum. Yep it's all about my mentality. Not your fraud god. Let me tell you what your fraud god CAN'T do.
          (hold on this may take a while)

Stop natural disasters (since god created earth, he has the power)
          Prevent wars (allah sucks at this also. See middle east)
          Prevent miscarriages. (gods version of a abortion)
          Stop draughts. (This will help produce food to feed the babies the pro-lifers want to be born)
          Prevent gun violence (make guns jam just before someone shoots)
          Prevent diseases (If we're the image of god, so are our diseases)

Just to cover all bases lets not forget the bible. It has two fall back uses:
          Toilet paper (a little rough, but it disolves easily)

Door stop (tears easily, just fold over)

June 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm |
    • Reality

As noted many times:

Recognizing the flaws, follies and frauds in the foundations of Islam, Judaism and Christianity, the "bowers", kneelers" and "pew peasants" are converging these religions into some simple rules of life. No koran, bible, clerics, nuns, monks, imams, evangelicals, ayatollahs, rabbis, professors of religion or priests needed or desired.

Ditto for houses of "worthless worship" aka mosques, churches, basilicas, cathedrals, temples and synagogues.

Europe is leading the way and the USA will not be far behind.

June 23, 2014 at 11:41 pm |
  6. bostontola

"An appeals court found that an initial judgment against her was faulty."

That's good to hear. If the political wing pardoned her it would not set a precedence. This ruling from within their justice system is more meaningful. I wonder if there will be blow back from their conservative wing.

June 23, 2014 at 4:13 pm |
    • No Wake Zone

Wasn't it her own half brother that turned her in and wants her dead? He is a danger to her now.

June 23, 2014 at 4:31 pm |
      • bostontola

You're right. When an agent exterior to the family pits one family member against another family member, that is pathological.

June 23, 2014 at 4:48 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"Follow the money".

June 23, 2014 at 6:43 pm |
  7. noahsdadtopher

Woo-hoo!

June 23, 2014 at 4:01 pm |
    • No Wake Zone

What's up T. Save any souls today?

June 23, 2014 at 4:03 pm |
      • noahsdadtopher

Not much. How are you?

As you know, I can't save anyone's soul. Only God can.

Dude, how many names do you have on here, anyway? It's hard to keep up!

June 23, 2014 at 4:07 pm |
        • No Wake Zone

Just bustin' yer chops my friend. How is fatherhood treating you?

(Just this one name going forward. Probably.)

June 23, 2014 at 4:11 pm |
        • noahsdadtopher

Fatherhood is good. Just wish I got more time with him. Current work hours getting in the way.

June 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm |
        • No Wake Zone

I have raised two and there is never enough time. I know how you feel.

June 23, 2014 at 4:34 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

I'll second your woo-hoo.
      Nobody should ever be punished for ridiculous "crimes" like apostacy, heresy or blasphemy.
      If someone's crime is against God but does no harm to human beings, let God dole out the punishment in the afterlife.

June 23, 2014 at 4:06 pm |
      • No Wake Zone

Without question. Where is the human decency? These people are barbaric.

June 23, 2014 at 4:12 pm |
  8. kenmargo

I am very happy for her. The question is who do you give credit to?

June 23, 2014 at 3:45 pm |
    • No Wake Zone

The Christian god naturally.

June 23, 2014 at 3:47 pm |
      • kenmargo

I guess you could also blame the christian god for flooding, earthquakes, twisters etc. etc.

June 23, 2014 at 3:49 pm |

Goes without saying...

June 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm |
        • kenmargo

so why praise someone for saving an individual life when the same person kills so many with natural disasters?

June 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm |

Sarcasm.

June 23, 2014 at 4:04 pm |

Reality

June 23, 2014 at 4:10 pm |
        • Alias

Why not blame god for making us mortal in the first place?
          How we die seems irrelevant in this context.

June 23, 2014 at 4:46 pm |
  9. Doris

This is great news. May such consideration that led to this release blossom within Islam.

June 23, 2014 at 3:16 pm |

Meanwhile in Iraq....

June 23, 2014 at 3:25 pm |
    • kenmargo

Meanwhile in Syria, Iran, Libya etc.etc.etc.

June 23, 2014 at 3:48 pm |
  10. Vic

♰♰♰ Jesus Christ Is Lord ♰♰♰

Sweet Jesus! This is the best news in a long time!

What a beautiful picture too!

And, God Bless America!

Amen.

June 23, 2014 at 3:04 pm |
    • igaftr

Why do you command your god to bless only America, why not the entire universe?

June 23, 2014 at 3:30 pm |
    • Madtown

"Who is Jesus again? Still never heard of him."

– George, your friend from the jungle

June 23, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
  11. His Panic

Good! No doubt about it, that was a very stressful situation she was in. She and her families have been through a very difficult time and I'm sure anxiety was part of it all.

One thing I know however and it is that those who Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic All others indeed WILL Panic and go into stampedes, riots and revolutions. That is because they do not Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son.

June 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm |
    • fortheloveofellipsis

"All others indeed WILL Panic and go into stampedes, riots and revolutions."

Yeah yeah, we know that human government has a long history of backing up religious establishments for just this reason–to keep the lowers orders in line. Glad to see you agree that religion should be used to keep the powerless in their powerlessness...

June 23, 2014 at 3:07 pm |
      • His Panic

Also brawls. Animals too do Panic and go into stampedes. However those who Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic neither get into brawls, riots, disorderly drunken conduct, riots, stampedes and revolutions.

June 24, 2014 at 2:45 pm |
  12. Akira

Thank goodness. Nobody should die for their beliefs.

June 23, 2014 at 2:10 pm |
    • His Panic

Dying IS NOT the worst thing that happens, dying in UNBELIEF that is the Worst that can happen. Those who do Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic.

Seems to me that dying is causing you some anxiety, which can lead to hysteria which can certainly end up in a total State of Panic. If that happens is because you do not Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son.

June 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm |
      • Akira

Seems to me that you read a lot into the sentences
        Thank goodness. Nobody should die for their beliefs. that wasn't there.

June 23, 2014 at 5:58 pm |
        • His Panic

Just like I said!

June 24, 2014 at 2:40 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"Nobody should die for their beliefs.
      ---------------–
      Yes, this is good news, however it was achieved.

(It would be interesting to know how it was done.)

June 23, 2014 at 2:51 pm |
      • Akira

I hope more details are forthcoming.

June 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm |
    • No Wake Zone

No one should be injured in any way because of their beliefs.

June 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm |
      • Akira

I agree, CS.

June 23, 2014 at 3:56 pm |
        • No Wake Zone

Hey Akira. These people have a terrible sickness. Would it ever occur to you or me to KILL someone for their beliefs? Of course not! Inconceivable.

June 23, 2014 at 4:02 pm |
        • Akira

Indubitably.

June 23, 2014 at 4:41 pm |
  13. new-man

To God be the glory!

June 23, 2014 at 2:08 pm |
    • fortheloveofellipsis

Would you be saying the same if she had been executed, or would you be here blaming O'Bummer/Oblamo/Obombo/Obozo/O'Whatever?...

June 23, 2014 at 3:08 pm |
      • new-man

"At ALL times I will bless Him, His praise will be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the Lord.
        The humble man will hear of Him, The afflicted will be glad."

"I sought the Lord, He heard me And delivered me from my fears. Let us exalt His name together, forever O sing His praises magnify the Lord"

"The angel of the Lord encamps Round those who fear His name To save them and deliver them from harm
        Though lions roar with hunger We lack for no good thing No wonder then we praise Him with our song"

"Come children now and hear Him If you would see long life Just keep your mouth from wickedness and lies
        Do good and turn from evil Seek peace instead of strife Love righteousness and God will hear your cry "

June 23, 2014 at 3:52 pm |
        • kenmargo

"At ALL times I will bless Him, His praise will be in my mouth.

Do you read what you type? You sound like a priest.

June 23, 2014 at 4:02 pm |
        • No Wake Zone

If there were a god(s) it would be responsible for every tragedy, every abortion, every war and every childhood disease ever in the history of mankind. You are excited because one life was spared?

June 23, 2014 at 4:09 pm |
        • kenmargo

Sorry no wake zone. I didn't realize you were being sarcastic before.

June 23, 2014 at 4:13 pm |

No worries.

June 23, 2014 at 4:15 pm |
        • Athy

Holy fuck, Newman. Do you think you get points with your imaginary boss upstairs for spouting such ridiculous horseshit?

June 24, 2014 at 2:15 am |
    • 03k64

Wait, how can that be? She was being persecuted by Muslims for being Christian. It's the same god, just a different belief system. One group of people, believing in god, wanted to kill a person for believing in the same god in a different way. I don't see how god get's the good press in this scenario. Maybe Jesus or Mary or something, but probably some kind of political pressure. Anyway, I hope her family doesn't kill her now for some equally stupid reason.

June 23, 2014 at 4:59 pm |
      • No Wake Zone

They are trying to get her to the U.S. to escape the threat of her half brother who wants her dead.

June 23, 2014 at 5:04 pm |