home
RSS
What God is saying, or trying to, over the din
Anne Lamott is the author of several books, including "Some Assembly Required," written with her son, Sam.
July 31st, 2014

What God is saying, or trying to, over the din

By Dorrine Mendoza, CNN

(CNN) - Author Anne Lamott says she begins her day by checking the news as soon as she wakes up.

“If the world is coming to an end that day I am going to eat the frosting off an entire carrot cake: just for a start," she wrote in a recent essay on her Facebook page.

Lamott, the best-selling author of several books about spirituality, describes her specialty as topics that "begin with capital letters: Alcoholism, Motherhood, Jesus.” But in recent days, global events have been foremost on her mind.

“The last two weeks have been about as grim and hopeless as any of us can remember,” she wrote, listing events like the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster in Ukraine, Palestinian children killed by rocket fire while playing football on the beach and protests against young refugees showing up at the U.S. border.

Lamott posted her response to those events on her Facebook page on Sunday; the essay quickly received more than 18,000 shares and thousands of comments.

“I used to think that if the world — or I — were coming to an end, I’d start smoking again,” she wrote. But that's going too far, Lamott said, settling for the simpler pleasure of sweet pastries.

Despite tragedies both deeply personal and worldly, Lamott said she turns to a hard-won, if somewhat restless faith.

“There is no one left in my circle who would dare say, brightly, ‘Let go and let God,’ because they know I would come after them with a fork,” she wrote.

Lamott said this isn’t because she doesn’t trust God, “or grace or good orderly direction.” She assures us, she does. It’s platitudes she finds unhelpful. Instead, her priorities are prayer, meditation and taking loving actions.

“It begins by putting your own oxygen mask on first: I try to keep the patient comfortable,” she wrote.

Once the flow of oxygen has steadied she turns her thoughts to the poor, the hungry and returning phone calls.

Readers and Lamott fans responded in kind.

“I wish we could all get together for coffee/water/whatever and just be,” wrote Diana Hartje in the comments. “I don’t feel quite so alone with all this going on around us.”

Charon Mangino posted a photo of flowers from her garden, writing, “I go into my garden … I weed, and with each weed I pray and release my own negative thoughts, beliefs and demons. Then I plant new seeds of love. May they flower into something beautiful to help heal this world of pain.”

Jodi Gabert revealed her own anger not just with the world, but also at the loss of a dear friend to cancer. Although Lamott did not personally comment, more than 20 others did, offering their support and own stories of recovery after loss.

Lamott concluded her essay, “You are my own, and I am yours–I think this is what God is saying, or trying to, over the din."

Read the whole essay here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • End times • God • Inspiration • Internet • Middle East

1. Dyslexic doG

we had better remove large sections of the bible we know and start telling a different story ...

A 1500-year-old bible has been discovered in Turkey. Discovered in 2000, the book that contains purportedly the Gospel of Barnabas has been transferred by the Turkish government to the Ethnography Museum of Ankara with a police escort. Barnabas was a disciple of Christ, and in the work, claims that Jesus was not crucified, instead it says he ascended to heaven alive and Judas Iscariot was crucified in his place. Furthermore, the 1500-year-old bible states that Jesus Christ was not the son of God, but simply a prophet who passed on the word of God.

August 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm |
    • bostontola

It is interesting to imagine who used such a bible. It would be interesting to study if there were sects of Christians that allowed different views to be discussed whether all the details were believed or not. Maybe they taught the different viewpoints and discussed the differences rather than generating interpretations to square dogmatic Truth.

August 4, 2014 at 2:33 pm |
    • sealchan

There is a confusion here between science and story. Story can transcend differences through its own craft. Science looks for the one repeatable truth. Each new story is not a problem but an enrichment of spiritual perspective. When the inspired writers were writing the books that were and were not to be included in the Bible, there was a wealth of spiritual perspective. In an effort to create a greater, composite story, the Bible was formed. Then this book was locked into a dead form, incapable of growing or changing. We should be, as Christians, re-engaging with this literature and with literature that has since been written to re-awaken the art of forming a spiritual text. The Bible should be updated on a regular basis. There should be many Bibles each devoted to God's truth which comes in many forms and cannot be expressed in a single "Book of Babel".

August 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm |
  2. Dalahäst

“You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
    ― Anne Lamott

August 4, 2014 at 9:29 am |
    • MidwestKen

A good quote, thanks.

Now if there was a way to "safely" determine when a god wasnt created in man's image. That would be something.

August 4, 2014 at 12:05 pm |
      • Dalahäst

I hear that humility is the key.

August 4, 2014 at 12:42 pm |
        • new-man

a good one.

August 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm |
        • MidwestKen

Humility will make the dtermination. How does that work?

August 4, 2014 at 1:48 pm |
        • Dalahäst

In my experience, my pride and my arrogance were the stumbling blocks to seeing God. Humbly seeking Him is the key to finding Him – which for me is an ongoing process. I don't know if that is "safe" by your standards – but in my life it is a good thing.

August 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Here is another good one I have to remind myself of constantly.

"The biggest difference between you and God is that God doesn’t think he’s you.” – Anne Lamott

August 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm |
        • MidwestKen

Dalahast,
          And you have determined that the god you "see", in your humility, is not a god that you have created in man's own image?

How exactly did you make that determination?

August 4, 2014 at 2:34 pm |
        • MidwestKen

P.s. not sure if you were implying something, but I have no delusions of divinity... at all.

August 4, 2014 at 2:37 pm |
        • bostontola

Ken,
          I have never met anyone, theist or non-theist, who thinks they are a God. I've read about a few mentally disturbed people who thought that, but they are very rare. I don't understand what Ms. Lamott is talking about. Many of her quotes and statements don't make much sense to me, for instance from this article:

August 4, 2014 at 3:15 pm |
        • Dalahäst

MidwestKen

The God I learn about encourages humility. I don't see that very often in man. Especially not in myself.

I was not implying you had delusions of divinity at all. It was a quote I find funny and often true; I was referencing it just to myself. Most believers I share it with find it poking fun at themselves, not others.

Boston

You've never heard of people "playing God"? This isn't a quote about people who actually think they are God. It is a bit more light-hearted than that. I've heard it referred most often in the context of "God's strength is perfected in our weakness", or letting us off the hook of thinking we have to be in control of everything in our life.

August 4, 2014 at 4:18 pm |
        • Dalahäst

She is an addict. I can imagine a majority of ex-smokers, like myself, can understand where she is coming from on that point. Especially if you loved smoking (stress relief), but hate the consequences (long-term health problems).

August 4, 2014 at 4:28 pm |
      • sealchan

As most know the Bible states that man was created in God's image. For me this is actually key in understanding how so many misunderstand what God is. Taken the other way, creating God in one's own image, is equally important. The idea is that God is knowable and a person, or a personality or a soul (or as some would insist, a soul-of-souls). Faith in a personal God, aka sacred imagination, is a means to an end, personal transcendence and self-improvement.

We are not God, just as Anne Lamott is overwhelmed by the all. It is for God to be responsible for the all. She is, perhaps, waking up to the fact that her perspective is not Gods, is not the all. She is getting that she needs to tend herself to do anyone else any good. Turn off the news as it tells mainly all of the crises of the planet doing little to prepare anyone for a crisis they might actually experience. We can and should grant ourselves the grace of being limited. We should think globally and act locally but we should do so with our own sanity in mind. We cannot stare directly into the whole just as we cannot look directly at the face of God.

August 4, 2014 at 7:54 pm |
        • evidencenot

"we cannot look directly at the face of God."

That's because "god" is purely imagination, .... belief, but zero evidence.

August 5, 2014 at 8:34 am |
        • sealchan

Not being able to look directly at the face of God is not primarily to be taken literally, but is, rather, metaphorical of the fact that the Universe is too rich (too numerous in its moving parts), too complex (as in chaos/complexity), too unpredictable for us to contemplate as a whole. Trying to do so exhausts us, leaves us overwhelmed, is an impossible task.

August 11, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
  3. crittermomagain

This is just my personal taste, but I think white people look really silly in dreads.

August 4, 2014 at 9:16 am |
    • igaftr

especially OLD caucasions. She looks like the fool she sounds like, in my opinion.

August 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm |
    • Keith

I am an old white guy and I agree

August 8, 2014 at 10:32 pm |
  4. zhilla1980wasp

for all the christians using pascale's wager, be so kind as to disprove "the tibetan book of the dead"

According to Tibetan tradition, the Liberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate State was composed in the 8th century by Padmasambhava, written down by his primary student, Yeshe Tsogyal, buried in the Gampo hills in central Tibet and subsequently discovered by a Tibetan terton, Karma Lingpa, in the 14th century

Padmasambhava- Prophesied that his writings would be found 600 years after the wiseman hide then......and you know what, according to tibetan monks they were.

1.The chikhai bardo or "bardo of the moment of death", which features the experience of the "clear light of reality", or at least the nearest approximation of which one is spiritually capable.
    2.The chonyid bardo or "bardo of the experiencing of reality", which features the experience of visions of various Buddha forms (or, again, the nearest approximations of which one is capable).
    3.The sidpa bardo or "bardo of rebirth", which features karmically impelled hallucinations which eventually result in rebirth. (Typically imagery of men and women passionately entwined.)

are you all willing to wager meeting the "spirit of death" whom wieghts your good deeds verses your bad (if you even make it to him btw.) with white and black stones. if you fail you will come back as an animal or be sent to their version of he11.

if you want to cover all your bases as you seem so happy to do in fear of being on one god's bad side; then you have a lot of work ahead of you. good luck.

August 4, 2014 at 8:31 am |
  5. tallulah131

There's a lot of rambling posts of bible verses today. Is it the full moon again?

August 3, 2014 at 6:47 pm |
  6. Reality

It must be Sunday and Austin is honking his Jesus/OT hype. Again to put him our of his misery:

The Apostles' Creed 2014: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (references used are available upon request)

August 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm |
    • Reality

Oops, putting Austin "out" of his misery.

August 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm |
    • austin929

the nation of Israel is proof of God. The fact that Satan has a bunch of competing lies does not devalue Israel or God.

August 3, 2014 at 5:16 pm |
      • tallulah131

No it's not.

August 3, 2014 at 7:25 pm |
      • G to the T

"the nation of Israel is proof of God. "

I think it's more likely a case of self-fulfilling prophecy more than anything. As I understand it, Churchill offered Madagascar as a new homeland for the Jews and it was turned down.

August 3, 2014 at 7:42 pm |
      • Keith

The nation of Israel is proof of Satan and that you worship a false god.

August 3, 2014 at 10:58 pm |
      • zhilla1980wasp

which isreal austin? that "state" has risen and fallen all throughout recorded history to various invaders. it's no more speical than any other state in the world, it's just a clump of dirt that has been claimed by people that america dumped there after WW2; so i would say the palestinians have a right to upset that their land was invaded.

August 4, 2014 at 8:40 am |
  7. austin929

Prosperity After Turning to the Lord

30 When all these blessings and curses I have set before you come on you and you take them to heart wherever the Lord your God disperses you among the nations, 2 and when you and your children return to the Lord your God and obey him with all your heart and with all your soul according to everything I command you today, 3 then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes[a] and have compassion on you and gather you again from all the nations where he scattered you. 4 Even if you have been banished to the most distant land under the heavens, from there the Lord your God will gather you and bring you back. 5 He will bring you to the land that belonged to your ancestors, and you will take possession of it. He will make you more prosperous and numerous than your ancestors. 6 The Lord your God will circ.umcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live. 7 The Lord your God will put all these curses on your enemies who hate and persecute you. 8 You will again obey the Lord and follow all his commands I am giving you today. 9 Then the Lord your God will make you most prosperous in all the work of your hands and in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your land. The Lord will again delight in you and make you prosperous, just as he delighted in your ancestors, 10 if you obey the Lord your God and keep his commands and decrees that are written in this Book of the Law and turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
    The Offer of Life or Death

11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.

19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

August 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm |
    • tallulah131

I've always worked for whatever I have. I find I appreciate it more.

August 3, 2014 at 1:53 pm |
      • austin929

how wise is total independence? is it real?

August 3, 2014 at 2:02 pm |
        • LaBella

Why is dependence preferable?

August 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm |
        • austin929

its really a non issue when you consider the presence of God. Israel was blessed. Faith is a gift.

August 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm |
        • LaBella

But how is dependence preferable?

August 3, 2014 at 5:19 pm |
        • austin929

because we have failed independently. Its an honest need to be redeemed.

August 3, 2014 at 6:38 pm |
        • LaBella

I find the thought of herd mentality alarming.

August 3, 2014 at 7:20 pm |
        • tallulah131

You failed, austin. You failed. And now you're projecting your failure on others because you are far too cowardly to accept the fact that you have only yourself to blame for your failures.

August 3, 2014 at 7:24 pm |
        • evidencenot

Your religion is nothing but a delusion. Delusion is not a "gift".

August 4, 2014 at 12:04 pm |
    • austin929

19 “Now write down this song and teach it to the Israelites and have them sing it, so that it may be a witness for me against them. 20 When I have brought them into the land flowing with milk and honey, the land I promised on oath to their ancestors, and when they eat their fill and thrive, they will turn to other gods and worship them, rejecting me and breaking my covenant. 21 And when many disasters and calamities come on them, this song will testify against them, because it will not be forgotten by their descendants. I know what they are disposed to do, even before I bring them into the land I promised them on oath.” 22 So Moses wrote down this song that day and taught it to the Israelites.

23 The Lord gave this command to Joshua son of Nun: “Be strong and courageous, for you will bring the Israelites into the land I promised them on oath, and I myself will be with you.”

24 After Moses finished writing in a book the words of this law from beginning to end, 25 he gave this command to the Levites who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord: 26 “Take this Book of the Law and place it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God. There it will remain as a witness against you. 27 For I know how rebellious and stiff-necked you are. If you have been rebellious against the Lord while I am still alive and with you, how much more will you rebel after I die! 28 As,.semble before me all the elders of your tribes and all your officials, so that I can speak these words in their hearing and call the heavens and the earth to testify against them. 29 For I know that after my death you are sure to become utterly corrupt and to turn from the way I have commanded you. In days to come, disaster will fall on you because you will do evil in the sight of the Lord and arouse his anger by what your hands have made.”
      The Song of Moses

30 And Moses recited the words of this song from beginning to end in the hearing of the whole as.sembly of Israel:

32 Listen, you heavens, and I will speak;
      hear, you earth, the words of my mouth.
      2 Let my teaching fall like rain
      and my words descend like dew,
      like showers on new gras.s,
      like abundant rain on tender plants.

3 I will proclaim the name of the Lord.
      Oh, praise the greatness of our God!
      4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
      and all his ways are just.
      A faithful God who does no wrong,
      upright and just is he.

5 They are corrupt and not his children;
      to their shame they are a warped and crooked generation.
      6 Is this the way you repay the Lord,
      you foolish and unwise people?
      Is he not your Father, your Creator,[a]
      who made you and formed you?

7 Remember the days of old;
      consider the generations long past.
      Ask your father and he will tell you,
      your elders, and they will explain to you.
      8 When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
      when he divided all mankind,
      he set up boundaries for the peoples
      according to the number of the sons of Israel.[b]
      9 For the Lord’s portion is his people,
      Jacob his allotted inheritance.

10 In a desert land he found him,
      in a barren and howling waste.
      He shielded him and cared for him;
      he guarded him as the apple of his eye,
      11 like an eagle that stirs up its nest
      and hovers over its young,
      that spreads its wings to catch them
      and carries them aloft.
      12 The Lord alone led him;
      no foreign god was with him.

13 He made him ride on the heights of the land
      and fed him with the fruit of the fields.
      He nourished him with honey from the rock,
      and with oil from the flinty crag,
      14 with curds and milk from herd and flock
      and with fattened lambs and goats,
      with choice rams of Bashan
      and the finest kernels of wheat.
      You drank the foaming blo.od of the gra.pe.

15 Jeshurun[c] grew fat and kicked;
      filled with food, they became heavy and sleek.
      They abandoned the God who made them
      and rejected the Rock their Savior.
      16 They made him jealous with their foreign gods
      and angered him with their detestable idols.
      17 They sacrificed to false gods, which are not God—
      gods they had not known,
      gods that recently appeared,
      gods your ancestors did not fear.
      18 You deserted the Rock, who fathered you;
      you forgot the God who gave you birth.

19 The Lord saw this and rejected them
      because he was angered by his sons and daughters.
      20 “I will hide my face from them,” he said,
      “and see what their end will be;
      for they are a perverse generation,
      children who are unfaithful.
      21 They made me jealous by what is no god
      and angered me with their worthless idols.
      I will make them envious by those who are not a people;
      I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.
      22 For a fire will be kindled by my wrath,
      one that burns down to the realm of the dead below.
      It will devour the earth and its harvests
      and set afire the foundations of the mountains.

23 “I will heap calamities on them
      and spend my arrows against them.
      24 I will send wasting famine against them,
      consuming pestilence and deadly plague;
      I will send against them the fangs of wild beasts,
      the venom of vipers that glide in the dust.
      25 In the street the sword will make them childless;
      in their homes terror will reign.
      The young men and young women will perish,
      the infants and those with gray hair.
      26 I said I would scatter them
      and erase their name from human memory,
      27 but I dreaded the taunt of the enemy,
      lest the adversary misunderstand
      and say, ‘Our hand has triumphed;
      the Lord has not done all this.’”

28 They are a nation without sense,
      there is no discernment in them.
      29 If only they were wise and would understand this
      and discern what their end will be!
      30 How could one man chase a thousand,
      or two put ten thousand to flight,
      unless their Rock had sold them,
      unless the Lord had given them up?
      31 For their rock is not like our Rock,
      as even our enemies concede.
      32 Their vine comes from the vine of Sodom
      and from the fields of Gomorrah.
      Their gr.apes are filled with poison,
      and their clusters with bitterness.
      33 Their wine is the venom of serpents,
      the deadly poison of cobras.

34 “Have I not kept this in reserve
      and sealed it in my vaults?
      35 It is mine to avenge; I will repay.
      In due time their foot will slip;
      their day of disaster is near
      and their doom rushes upon them.”

36 The Lord will vindicate his people
      and relent concerning his servants
      when he sees their strength is gone
      and no one is left, slave or free.[d]
      37 He will say: “Now where are their gods,
      the rock they took refuge in,
      38 the gods who ate the fat of their sacrifices
      and drank the wine of their drink offerings?
      Let them rise up to help you!
      Let them give you shelter!

39 “See now that I myself am he!
      There is no god besides me.
      I put to death and I bring to life,
      I have wounded and I will heal,
      and no one can deliver out of my hand.
      40 I lift my hand to heaven and solemnly swear:
      As surely as I live forever,
      41 when I sharpen my flashing sword
      and my hand grasps it in judgment,
      I will take vengeance on my adversaries
      and repay those who hate me.
      42 I will make my arrows drunk with blood,
      while my sword devours flesh:
      the blood of the slain and the captives,
      the heads of the enemy leaders.”

43 Rejoice, you nations, with his people,[e][f]
      for he will avenge the blood of his servants;
      he will take vengeance on his enemies
      and make atonement for his land and people.

August 3, 2014 at 1:59 pm |
    • austin929

If you study this section of Deuteronomy it is rich in meaning. It also is a prophetic section of scripture dealing with the diaspora and the restoration of the nation of Israel.

This is no myth.

August 3, 2014 at 2:01 pm |
      • realbuckyball

Prophecy was not the prediction of the future.
        Moses wrote nothing. He was a myth from the Northern Kingdom. There are many things that prove he could not have written that. Scholars KNOW he did write Deuteronomy. He also wrote nothing else. He would have had to have written about his own death and burial and he spoke from the wrong side of the Jordan, and the Edomite Kings, (which lived after he dies) are listed in the wrong order, (among MANY other clues). Moses was one of the first clues scholars had that the OT was not literally true.

August 3, 2014 at 5:10 pm |
        • austin929

Hey guy, Isaiah Jeremaih Ezekiel Daniel major prophets the ones after that are all minor prophets.

Moses was a direct prophet. to say he was a myth is like saying Jesus is was myth.

not even an argument. Have you ever heard of Israel?

August 3, 2014 at 5:15 pm |
        • igaftr

austin
          Moses is likely myth, and Though Jesus likely existed, he existed as a man...it is the supernatural garbage that is the myth...
          George Washington existed, but many of the stories surrounding him never happened, they are myth. People like to make up stuff...and that is where your bible comes from.

August 4, 2014 at 1:37 pm |
        • austin929

bucky, Moses is a sacred prophet. Have you ever heard of ISRAEL? the priestly nation. If Moses was not a levite, then who are the levites?

August 8, 2014 at 10:43 pm |
      • Keith

Anyone that waits on anyone for over 2000 years is stupid.

August 3, 2014 at 11:03 pm |
      • Keith

Using the bible to prove the bible is rather silly.

August 8, 2014 at 10:34 pm |
        • austin929

No actually it is not. But you would only know that the bible is genuine prophecy through one voice. Have you not heard?

August 8, 2014 at 10:41 pm |
        • Keith

you are an id/ot, but carry on. Don't go to college and study theology if you want to stay that stupid.

I believe in the one god, the god of Abraham, I do not believe in the "three in one" god of the Christians.

August 11, 2014 at 10:23 am |
  8. 19covenant19

The Words of Jesus Christ has been proven TRUE

–Scientifically & Mathematically–

for all Nations on earth now,

see it with your own eyes to believe it.

19covenant19.com
    BIBLICAL EXCELLENT MIRACLES -3-

August 3, 2014 at 6:25 am |
    • bostontola

Your website exemplifies a key reason why theists and non-theists talk past each other, you regard unsubstantiated assertions proof. As long as that remains, true discourse is futile.

August 3, 2014 at 11:20 am |
    • evidencenot

Believers seem to have a different definition of the word "proven".

August 4, 2014 at 1:05 pm |
    • fascinatedspectator

NOT TRUE! There is NO proof whatsoever that Jesus ever existed, much less told ANY sort of so-called "truths" !! All of your so-called "proof" is just more unsupported and unsubstantiated opinions! Actual scientific "proof" is something quite different from your flimsy anecdotal stories! You have every right to "believe" whatever you wish, but claiming your "faith" to be some kind of "fact" or "proof" is blatantly false and quite dishonest!

August 5, 2014 at 6:01 pm |
  9. ausphor

fred
    "when I became a man, I did away with childish things." NAS 1 Cor. 13:11
    So what is it fred are you 8 years old or just think like a kid?

August 2, 2014 at 1:02 pm |

matt 19

13Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.

14Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

August 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm |

Children can trust

August 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm |
        • ausphor

austin
          Is that from your Squished Kitty Chronicles, what page?

August 2, 2014 at 1:12 pm |

"Children can trust"

That's naivete, not trust.

August 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm |
        • austin929

dude I was reading through the old testament when i was locked up. I had never read the book of Jeremiah. I know nothing a bout a scroll, or a scribe, or a cistern. I had read a verse or two from the book in my life. well i was reading straight through it and i was up to chapter 40.

that night i had a dream that I saw a beautiful arch way made of stone, and a tile patio with sand stone, and it was spectacular. the grout was diagonal pattern and an inch thick, and it had a retaining wall. and also there was a hole chizzeled into the ground. and there was in my dream a detatched arm that reached down into the hole and pulled out a leather pouch. as it pulled it out , a bunch of dust fell off, and the pouch opened up in the hand of the arm, and then there were a bunch of jewels inside. yellow, blue, and red, about the size of a thumb nail and smaller.

I wrote that dream down and it was really sloppy because i wrote it in the dark, at 4 in the morning half asleep. and fell back asleep and thought nothing at all about it.

well that night i kept reading in Jeremiah and got a few more chapters in and this is what i read.

8 In Tahpanhes the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: 9 “While the Jews are watching, take some large stones with you and bury them in clay in the brick pavement at the entrance to Pharaoh’s palace in Tahpanhes. 10 Then say to them, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: I will send for my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and I will set his throne over these stones I have buried here; he will spread his royal canopy above them. 11 He will come and attack Egypt, bringing death to those destined for death, captivity to those destined for captivity, and the sword to those destined for the sword. 12 He will set fire to the temples of the gods of Egypt; he will burn their temples and take their gods captive. As a shepherd picks his garment clean of lice, so he will pick Egypt clean and depart. 13 There in the temple of the sun[b] in Egypt he will demolish the sacred pillars and will burn down the temples of the gods of Egypt.’”

WOW! that was a revelation.

and these kept happening. I had about 10 or more over the 3 months during that time. They were all miraculous and supernaturally revealed. They varied in composition. for example some were translations from one persons mind to another persons. they all involved someones dream during that time, I dreamed about a blue print that someone showed me two days later.

another one, someone dreamed my exact thoughts one night after I had the thoughts. the next morning one kid came up to me and he had the dream, about what i was thinking about.

Glory to God. Jehovah.

August 2, 2014 at 1:26 pm |
        • ausphor

My Lord, my Lord, why have you forsaken me, what did I and my fellow posters do to deserve an Austintatious rant? Hell hath no bounds.

August 2, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
        • G to the T

"If you did a statistical analysis, I have proof of the supernatural! and I can tell you that Daniel and Joseph of the bible are exactly the perfect examples of Gods prophetic power, when He gifts his servants with supernatural power and guidance."

Then do so. Go through the proper scientific controls, test your theory and subject it to peer review. If what you say is true, there should be a significant statistical anomaly. Your testimony is meaningless without proper controls and repeat-ability.

August 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm |

ausphor.

I have an honest, and fist person direct account. this is not here say. This truly happened. Take this as a sworn in statement.

August 2, 2014 at 1:36 pm |
        • austin929

Your testimony is meaningless without proper controls and repeat-ability.

its like one bird looking at the other bird leaving the nest for the first time. and the bird says, "there is no such thing as flying"

August 2, 2014 at 1:38 pm |

Matthew 14:29 ►

"Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.

August 2, 2014 at 1:39 pm |
        • ausphor

G to the T
          That challenge has been posited to Austin many times, he has never followed through. You must just believe our Austin, sound familiar.

August 2, 2014 at 1:42 pm |

Acts 4
          33With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all

and even when a person hates the word of God, it is working within them. sometimes you have to understand that you were not the one who is responsible for your being saved though trials and tribulation. working out your faith with trembling. Satan has a powerful mind, and it is popular and appealing to the flesh. But the spirit is at war!

August 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm |
        • G to the T

"The controls are the Holy Spirit, and the word of God, and your own two cents worth. And the desire to seek help from God."

So... that's a "no" then?

August 2, 2014 at 1:53 pm |
        • austin929

O.K. Go to the T. in all honesty, the answer may be "no" to the whole "test if for the pride" idea. but i did test it this spring, i said there would be an F4tornadoe NW of Lincoln and there was.

August 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm |
        • Reality

" Nebraska averages almost 50 tornadoes a year
          (see: Nebraska Tornado Data Table
          * Nebraska's most number of tornadoes was 110 in 2004
          * Nebraska's peak month for tornadoes is June, May is 2nd.
          * May and June account for 63% of all of our tornadoes.
          * May, June and July account for 77% of all of our tornadoes.
          * There have been 115 Nebraska tornado fatalities since 1916.
          * Every decade in the 1900's had tornado fatalities, but not the 1990's!
          * There were no tornado fatalities in Nebraska from 1987 until June 2003 when two occurred.
          * ALL 93 Nebraska counties have been visited by tornadoes since 1950.
          * Hall County's tornado density is 4 times greater than the state average and
          3 times greater than the average for the Omaha and Lincoln areas.
          * Most tornadoes from one storm, 7 in Grand Island, June 3, 1980.
          * Nebraska has had reported tornadoes in every month but February.
          * Omaha May May 5, 1975 and Grand Island June 3, 1980 are ranked 2nd &
          9th in U.S. top 10 most costly tornadoes.
          * Over 50% of our tornadoes occur between 4 PM and 8 PM.
          * Nebraska had its first confirmed tornado between 8 AM and 9 AM in Nebraska in Year 2001.
          * Nebraska is ranked 5th in the U.S. for total number of tornadoes.
          * Nebraska is ranked 23rd for number of tornado fatalities and 24th for number of tornado injuries.
          * May 2006 was the first May since 1981 to NOT have any reported tornadoes."

August 2, 2014 at 2:52 pm |

August 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm |
        • G to the T

"ok. well, I had a dream about tornadoes in missouri before Joplin was twisted up, and I had a similar dream on this one. so i am still 2 for 2 on the tornadoes."

Out of how many dreams that you had during that period? The full data set would need to include every dream you had during a certain period and what ratio came true. Otherwise we have a case of confirmation bias where only the "hits" are counted and all the "misses" dismissed.

August 2, 2014 at 3:48 pm |
        • austin929

go to T not quite. I can tell which dreams are random products of the brain. and then there have been ones that i would have not expected to be premonitions that came true. so in reality, since some are given, and i don't know which ones, it isn't a statistic of every single dream.

also , there are ones that are from bad spirits, or reveal the evil side as well. so there are multiple agents that can cause a vision.
          1 Thess 5
          20Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22reject every kind of evil.

What you have during the age of the church is not direct revelation, but a fallible type of spiritual gift that at times requires an interpreter.
          2Peter
          . 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

and this is pertaining to scripture, but the new testament "gift of prophecy" is different. Scripture did not require an interpreter because it was directly given or inspired by God.

but the new testament gift says this...........
          1 Corinthians 12:10 ►
          Parallel Verses
          New International Version
          to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

New Living Translation
          He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said.

so this is the synchronicity of the Spirit where a prophecy will be a conduit for other people's benefit to edify .

August 2, 2014 at 4:21 pm |
        • G to the T

" I can tell which dreams are random products of the brain. and then there have been ones that i would have not expected to be premonitions that came true. so in reality, since some are given, and i don't know which ones, it isn't a statistic of every single dream."

Actually, I'm pretty sure it still would be. Certainly if you noted which ones you believed were "random" vs "prophetic" that data could be included as a control variable. But the data set would still need to include all dreams as even as you said, sometimes the ones you think are random turn out not to be.

The long and short is that without being able to provide a control or some level of statistical repeat-ability – I cannot take your anonymous testimony at face value. I will remain in a state of doubt in regards to your abilities until you can find a way to prove otherwise.

August 2, 2014 at 4:43 pm |
        • austin929

ok, that you probably should be too.

August 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm |

(as a rule of thumb)

August 2, 2014 at 4:53 pm |
        • Reality

Some more information Austin needs to dream about:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

“New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment. “
          prob•a•bly
          Adverb: Almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell.

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedophiliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

2 b., Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:
          Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

August 2, 2014 at 6:18 pm |
        • Robert Brown

Reality,

From your source:

"Not among Orthodox Jews, however. They continue to regard the Torah as the divine and immutable word of God. Their most widely used Torah commentary, known as the Stone Edition (1993), declares in its introduction "that every letter and word of the Torah was given to Moses by God."

August 2, 2014 at 6:46 pm |
        • realbuckyball

In Deuteronomy your god forbade omen reading, divination sooth saying. Your use of omen is an abomination. Prophecy was not about prediction of the future, and any Freshman Bible student knows.

If you have "statistical proof" of something, then faith is no longer necessary. So you're telling you have no faith, and you are the wicked generation Jebus talked about which requires a "sign" ?

August 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm |
        • Reality

Orthodox Jews- 12.5 million lost "souls" still suffering from childhood brainwashing via the myths of the OT/Torah and causing havoc in the process. They should give up their foolish claims to Israel and all move to Canada and the USA. We can always use talented people. If the Muslims of the USA and Canada want to move to the "Allah-forsaken" land of Palestine, we wish them well.

August 3, 2014 at 12:05 am |
        • tallulah131

Hey, I said that predicting tornadoes in Nebraska was rather like predicting earthquakes in Japan, and after I said that, there was an earthquake in Japan! I must be a prophet

August 3, 2014 at 2:52 am |
        • jhg45

tal; Yay ?

August 3, 2014 at 12:39 pm |
        • rogerthat2014

With a little research, you can find that a tornado dream can suggest that you are experiencing an unstable relationship, disappointment or complications in your life. A sudden change in your life could be taking place. Or it could be that God personally contacted you through a dream that there will be a tornado so that you can contact NOAA. I'm certain that NOAA will really appreciate the heads-up call from you that severe weather will happen sometime in the future. If God controls your dreams, what would you think if you had a dream about killing your spouse? Is that God, or is that the devil slipping one past God?

August 3, 2014 at 1:45 pm |
      • Keith

They should have kept you locked up. You are truly dangerous now.

August 3, 2014 at 11:04 pm |
  10. ausphor

fred
    god came to warn Cain telling him what to do. Well I am thrilled to see that one of your ilk throws "free will" out of the delusion. Yes fred on you knees now, groveling before your mythical god seems to be your fate.

August 2, 2014 at 11:24 am |
    • LaBella

God showed blatent favoritism in this case. Some "parent."

August 2, 2014 at 11:51 am |
      • believerfred

Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord ...................not favoritism just the last good man in a sea of godlessness

August 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

Yeah, cause saving yourself and your family above all others is such a righteous thing to do! I Noah (who there is zero evidence for the existence of) was a true man, he wouldn't have supported such a vicious plot to kill so many. I don't expect someone as hate-filled and delusional as you to comprehend that though! You're a vicious, bitter-old man who is not worthy of respect or heaven (if it exists).

August 2, 2014 at 12:56 pm |
        • austin929

Truth prevails, if Noah was a prophet then yes he would do as he was told.

would you if you were a prophet? by the way TP you seriously sound bitter.

August 2, 2014 at 1:02 pm |
        • LaBella

I said nothing about Noah. I was speaking about aca in and Abel.

August 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm |

*Cain and Abel.

August 2, 2014 at 1:12 pm |
        • ausphor

Austin
          Of course if you really believe that someone lived for 900 years, I would expect that person to say I told you so, quite often. Did your daddy diss you for looking at him when he was naked, strange fruit?

August 2, 2014 at 1:20 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

Austin: First off, no recorded history of Noah or the flood outside of the bible, so the point is moot
          Second, keep up!! I have a justified reason to be bitter with fred right now. He acted like an ASS and attacked my husband and child last night and attempted to justify it with his belief. No decent human does that!

August 2, 2014 at 1:24 pm |
        • austin929

well I wish you would stop as.suming that the bible is moot.

OK TP, I am sorry that you are upset bud. I care about you and your family.

August 2, 2014 at 1:28 pm |
        • believerfred

TruthPrevails1
          That is why Jesus brought up Noah before those who did not believe.
          " 37"For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. 38"For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,…

August 2, 2014 at 1:33 pm |

Ausphor.

have you ever read that book of Enoch? You should read it. I think it will affect you personally. And the thing about the looking at the nakedness, the thing is that they looked at the father with presumption and at a moment of weakness. It was not about the being naked, and it had to do with the wicked heart and the "way" and the "reason" they looked in such a manner at the father.

They basically had an opportunity to take advantage of the father with a malicious heart, the were so weak that they could help themselves from doing so. They were wicked.

August 2, 2014 at 1:33 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

Austin: If the bible is what you feel you need to get by in life, so be it. However, it is moot to me because it's not my belief...any more than Muslim is your belief. It is when the belief is used to attack and discredit people; to deny equal right or to dictate laws in a Secular country or to tell another person what they can/can't do with their bodies or in the personal lives, than I have the issue.

August 2, 2014 at 1:37 pm |
        • austin929

Truth Prevails, the problem is that you elevate all of that above God and His word.

That type of excessive devotion, or worship, is Idolatry. God is right there by you right now, can you seriously tell Him that you have all of the worldly things that you insist on putting above Him? You may be inviting a disaster or the destroyer into your life.

August 2, 2014 at 1:43 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

Dear Vicious Old-Man Fred: Name me one other person outside of your bible who lived to be as old as Noah supposedly did. The whole story of the Ark has been debunked. Stop being so damn intellectually dishonest and ignorant. Nothing you say is respected after you went to such an infantile level of attack (no matter how you spin it, it is what you did...you deserve the bitterness directed at you-if you're too much of a coward to apologize, you'll see nothing in the form o frespect).

August 2, 2014 at 1:46 pm |
        • ausphor

TP1
          Austin knows how impressed the parole board can be with a jailhouse conversion; it is just rather surprising that the delusion has hung on after his release. Go figure.

August 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

Insert any other god in there Austin and you have just pointed to yourself and every other christian/believer. You have no more evidence for your god than anyone else does!

August 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm |

Ausphor: Absolutely :)

August 2, 2014 at 1:48 pm |

T.P. Methuselah,was the father of Lamech, and the son of Enoch. lived to be 969

August 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm |
        • ausphor

Time to watch the golf, later.

August 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm |
        • austin929

"we're watchin' paint dry" du du du du du we'ere watchin paint dry.

August 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm |
        • LaBella

Why is your blog name agolf if you're going to make fun of it?

August 2, 2014 at 2:10 pm |
        • austin929

that is a good question.........I don't know. you got me.

August 2, 2014 at 2:24 pm |
        • believerfred

TruthPrevails1
          Ok, explain how I attacked your family as I am missing something here. A red stop sign is not an attack against drivers it is a warning to keep you from the probability of death.

August 2, 2014 at 2:31 pm |

Austin,
          Lol. At least you're honest about the conundrum.

August 2, 2014 at 2:39 pm |
        • austin929

believer fred, i think you said something about clinging to death helplessly, and depriving a child of the light..............in different words.

Fred, you have a fragrance it seems.

August 2, 2014 at 2:39 pm |
        • Doris

Goodness – I am not even going to ask....

August 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm |
        • austin929

La Bella, I did not realize that you would be snooping my blog. wow. what a compliment!

August 2, 2014 at 2:46 pm |
        • LaBella

Austin, your original name when you came back after the WP started the log in was agolf929. I have a good memory.
          Just like mine was originally Akira before CNN/WP decided to render that account useless for posting and had to create another one.
          Don't let your ego run away from you.

August 2, 2014 at 2:58 pm |

What Akira? that is you?

you called Doug a squatter. I'm mad at you.

August 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm |
        • believerfred

Austin929
          ah, yes I was talking about the importance of family leadership in salvation.

August 2, 2014 at 3:31 pm |

Yes, Austin, it's me.
          I feel bad for Doug, I truly do. But in the eyes of the law, which even Jesus said to obey, he was. He no longer had legal ownership of his house. I have to wonder why those closest to him didn't take care of the poor man better.
          You told me I was like Hitler, so I guess we're even?

August 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm |
        • Doris

Uh oh, Akira. Now Austin is mad at you. And evidently for some, he just thinks they have a fragrance...

August 2, 2014 at 3:36 pm |
        • austin929

o.k. La Bella. It just hurt my feelings. I just think that he was going through a second option and the bank just hustled him out and he was desperate, and retarded,and he was 65 and felt he had no option but to hold on to his own equity.

I totally agree with him. I think the sheriffs are guilty of 2nd degree murder.

if you go to fight and end up killing someone YOU ARE GUILTY.

August 2, 2014 at 3:39 pm |
        • austin929

ok La Bella dear, sorry for calling you "like Hitler". Have a great day !

Doris, Fred knows the fragrance I am referring too. Did that strike you as odd?

August 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

fred: You are a very dense man. You had no right to bring my family in to a conversation that had nothing to do with them. You are not a good person and you judging my family or my relationship or my parenting is out of line!!!! Who the hell do you think you are?? Don't play the innocent card when you're not innocent and act like less of a Christian than my cat does!! You're too much of a coward to even admit that what you did was wrong! For you I hope hell exists, so you can live your own misery. You can attack me; you can attack my opinion but I'll be damned if I stand down and let you use my family or speak a negative word about them...especially my daughter. Steve is a better man than you could ever wish to be and he does it without god. Skip your lying and stop being a self-righteous hypocrite!

August 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

fred: One final thing...a STOP SIGN is a realistic thing and by law must be obeyed, your god and belief, no matter how you spew it, are not realistic and I am not required to believe in it. It is none of your damn business if I accept your belief system or not. I have explained my position on belief and you using it to justify your hate and lies is part of why people speak out against you. GROW UP and stop being an immoral ASS!

August 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm |

Doris,
          He'll get over it.
          My fragrance is Hugo Boss's "Woman", with "CK1" worn occasionally, and, if I'm feeling esoecially girly, Lauder's "Beautiful."
          Eau de Self Righteous gives me a rash.

August 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm |

Austin,
          My intention is never to hurt anyone's feelings.
          Doug's death, (RIP) could have been prevented by those around him. Some blame needs to be placed there, as well.

August 2, 2014 at 3:55 pm |
        • Doris

lol – OK, Akira. Funny that you mentioned CK. Watching some Louis C.K. late last night probably has something to do with bewilderment upon reading Austin noting fred's "fragrance"....lol.

August 2, 2014 at 4:06 pm |
        • austin929

La Bella, It sounds like you smell well. I'll refrain from any further comment on that.

and I can see how you thought he needed some help. but he was secretive. He was not married. he didn't reveal his financial affairs.

hey i was wondering, where it said that Doug threatened to kill the cops or whatever?

August 2, 2014 at 4:09 pm |
        • austin929

oh Doris please ....will you stop allready.

August 2, 2014 at 4:10 pm |

Doris,
          Louie C.K. rocks.
          Truthfully, I think of him almost every time I put on CK1. Weird association, tis true, but it is what it is.

August 2, 2014 at 4:12 pm |

Austin,
          Thanks for your restraint, lol.
          I read that he had written threatening letters to the police in one of the newspaper articles about his death. It was the local paper, IIRC.
          I'm sure he was secretive. However, one cannot blame local law enforcement for that secrecy, either.

August 2, 2014 at 4:15 pm |

Austin,
          Here:

August 2, 2014 at 4:21 pm |

thanks Bella.

August 2, 2014 at 4:23 pm |
        • Doris

Interesting. I try to stay away from conspiracy theory, but sometimes my inner creativity gets a hold and... for instance, I think you all said this Doug was not far in relation from a ?Senator/Rep? If he was in some way really an embarrassment to that high party or had some dirt and wasn't considered stable with such info, one might see that the threatening letters could have been sent to the police by someone other than Doug. My mind does wander today....

August 2, 2014 at 4:27 pm |
        • LaBella

Doris, you are fanciful today!
          Perchance, do you own stock in Reynolds Consumer Products?

August 2, 2014 at 4:36 pm |
        • Doris

lol – no, but I wish I did LaBella.

August 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm |
    • TruthPrevails1

Careful on how you speak to that bitter old man or he'll attack you and your family also. (Sorry, I'm a little disgusted with him)

August 2, 2014 at 11:59 am |
      • LaBella

I saw that, and tried to defend you. I can't think of a lower tactic than that.

August 2, 2014 at 12:14 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

I appreciate that. He unfortunately will never see it for what it is. I have no respect for any human who would do that regardless of their belief, sadly he uses his in justifying what he did. He can attack me, he can attack what I said but to cross the line and involve my family, is another thing altogether.

August 2, 2014 at 12:52 pm |
        • LaBella

I agree. Nothing "righteous" about that at all.

August 2, 2014 at 1:13 pm |
    • austin929

an example of rejecting God and his word that this world is not going in good orderly direction.

self deceit

doesn’t trust God, “or grace or good orderly direction.”

August 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm |

2 Thessalonians 2:7 ►

For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.

August 2, 2014 at 12:57 pm |
      • TruthPrevails1

Very good Austin...try using another book to prove your point, otherwise your point is moot! All you do in quoting the book is continue to show your inability to think for yourself.

August 2, 2014 at 1:00 pm |
        • austin929

T.P. there are many things that i like to do, that i cant because I have a spiritual calling. Once i received the call, I realilzed that if I rejected it I would be certainly judged.

like Jonah, he tried to run away from God's calling and God had other plans for Jonah.

you can seek a true calling if you insist on rejecting my honest experience.

August 2, 2014 at 1:08 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

Austin: Your problem is that you like to THINK you are deserving of this so-called place named heaven over someone who has NEVER put others lives at risk and ha kept an open-mind...it is that arrogance that makes you a pathetic human. Your personal experiences (delusions as I prefer to think of them as given your refusal to have them verified), count for nothing to anyone but you, they do not fall I line with he Burden of Proof and thus are not reliable enough to be considered evidence for your god.

August 2, 2014 at 1:13 pm |
        • G to the T

"you can seek a true calling if you insist on rejecting my honest experience."

I don't necessary reject your experience – but I feel mine was driven by honesty as well – and I've ended up somewhere completely different. So...

August 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm |
        • austin929

"but I feel mine was driven by honesty as well "

O.K. I am interested in hearing about that if you have time.

August 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm |
        • G to the T

"O.K. I am interested in hearing about that if you have time."

I've gone over it several times here but the long and short was born again in my late teens. As I learned more about the history, the bible, science and humanity in general, I found I could no longer say I believed the bible was inerrant and stay honest with myself. From there I've tried to keep honest with myself and investigate my beliefs and the beliefs of others. Right now, I'm an agnostic atheist, though I prefer "skeptic". My standard response is one of doubt until sufficient evidence has been presented. Even if I did somehow become a theist and/or christian again, I'm certain it wouldn't be of the "bible is inerrant", "world is 10k year", "evolution doesn't happen" crowd.

August 2, 2014 at 2:11 pm |
        • austin929

I can relate to that type of honesty and that desire to maintain integrity. I have to go back to the example of the Apostle Paul who has the absurd experience .

Acts 7:57-59

57 And casting him out the city, they stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man, whose name was Saul.

58 And they stoned Stephen, invoking and saying; Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

59 And falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, saying; Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep in the Lord. And Saul was consenting to his death.

Acts 8:1-3

1 Now Saul was consenting to his execution .On that day, there broke out a severe persecution of the church in Jerusalem, and all were scattered throughout the countryside of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles.

2 Devout men buried Stephen and made a loud lament over him.

3 Saul, meanwhile, was trying to destroy the church; entering house after house and dragging out men and women, he handed them over for imprisonment.

...............my experience is like that too. I was out vandalizing churches in my town and flat out made a statement to God. "If you arent there we need to put a stop to all of this" and I was somehow awakened to His presence. I have to be honest now. I fail in life spiritually with obedience, but He has given me an awareness of His supernatural life and the demonic counterparts.

August 2, 2014 at 2:22 pm |
        • austin929

I hope you block every one else out when you investigate God to the fullest! He is there for you.

August 2, 2014 at 2:27 pm |
        • evidencenot

More Quotes from mythology;

"You may not want to be a god, Perseus, but after feats like yours, men will worship you. Be good to them. Be better than we were. And if you insist on continuing this mundane human existence, I won't have you do it alone. You're the son of Zeus, after all!"

August 5, 2014 at 10:25 am |
      • G to the T

"by the way, how did the people in the new testament know that things would get worse and not better, I mean come on.............were are educated now!"

But – they aren't worse – they are significantly better overall. The complaint that "the world is getting worse all the time" is a false premise to begin with.

August 2, 2014 at 1:17 pm |
        • austin929

I think you are wrong. when in ancient history could man drop an atom bomb or shoot guns. I would have to say the rate of mortality is going to increase per person in the world. and the prophecy will never fail. It truly will not.

August 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm |
        • G to the T

"when in ancient history could man drop an atom bomb or shoot guns."

When in ancient history could we cure the majority of diseases? When in ancient times did we have an infant mortality rate as low as we have today?

August 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm |
        • austin929

4But you, Daniel, roll up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge.”

the point is that there is much wisdom in the end, but little wisdom.

August 2, 2014 at 2:05 pm |
        • LaBella

There is much wisdom, but little wisdom? A bit contradictory, no?

August 2, 2014 at 2:09 pm |
        • G to the T

"he point is that there is much wisdom in the end, but little wisdom."
          I'm sure you meant "knowledge" vs "wisdom" there – and I'm sorry but that's just a cop-out in my opinion. Wisdom is the proper application of knowledge. "Proper" can be defined however we want – for you, it's in line with God's will, for me – it's whatever provides the most benefit to the most people today and in the future.

August 2, 2014 at 2:15 pm |
        • austin929

G to the T. That is really true. I agree with you. but the question and answer to Gods reality can impact the ways the world handles knowledge. Or the way we handle anything, wether it be to Gods glory or for selfishness. And what does glorify God? well don't look to the apostates for the answer.

The world has CLEARLY, used knowledge in some horrid ways. for example, look at the medical wealthiness that devours the poor financially and look at how the government uses all its technology to exploit the world for gain.

knowledge coupled with evil is what is most common. I think you have some atheist humanitarians who would act like Christ would, feeding the poor and healing. and you have many rich so called American Christians who want war and serve greed.

I just reiterate the pseudo Anti Christ system , where nothing is what it seems or claims to be.

as much knowledge that is good, that we do have, it is most commonly used greedily for capital or for killing power. and that is a shame. what good is done medically, is done at the cost of a financial strangle hold.

August 2, 2014 at 2:36 pm |
        • G to the T

"knowledge coupled with evil is what is most common"

Since I don't believe in "evil", I'd have to say I disagree.

August 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm |
  11. Richq

Over the din, God is love.

The din is like the dark clouds that hide the bright shining sun , beyond the clouds, the sun is shining bright.

God's love is over it all, the clouds, the din and everything else in-between!

August 2, 2014 at 9:56 am |
    • bostontola

Mere clouds and din can obscure omnipotence and omniscience?

August 2, 2014 at 10:34 am |
    • harlow13

Actually, if we are to communicate, redefining words can be unhelpful. We already have a word for love, that being love.

August 2, 2014 at 10:47 am |
  12. sealchan

I'm not sure I sympathize with people who are concerned about today's and yesterday's daily calamities. It speaks to me of a moving out of general ignorance and into an awareness of just how big (and horrible) the world can be. I've been there and done that long ago.

Her balancing act of "taking care of the patient" is good. Now if she could grow that patient into something particular that might be interesting and address some small corner of misery instead of being just bewildered. Of all the suffering in the world, that is the kind that least interests me.

August 1, 2014 at 7:55 pm |