home
RSS
May 18th, 2010

Congressman resigns: 'I sinned against God'

From CNN's Political Ticker:

Rep. Mark Souder, R-Indiana, abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday, after acknowledging that he “sinned against God” by engaging in a relationship with a member of his staff.

The 59-year-old married father of three, who just won a competitive primary, said he will leave office at the end of the week ...

"I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff," he said. "In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C, any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain.

As if religious conservatives needed another reason to be upset with the GOP.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Politics

1. liberal democrat

I have to agree with "Defender of Truth", if – and only if – this man's conscience got the best of him; however, if he resigned due to concerns of it being revealed, then, to hell with him (metaphorically speaking).

July 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  2. LBW

Good riddance. If you think no more of your family than that I sure don't want you making decisions for me with my money. Crawl back under your rock.

May 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
    • Defender of Truth

The man acknowledged his wrong & guilt. Give him some credit for not hiding it, but taking responsibility for it. Maybe he should lose his marriage too, I don't know, but I will say this... America could use more people owning up to their failings. And, I mean taking responsibility because it's the right thing to do, not because they've been caught. That's exactly what happened here. He OPENLY admitted his wrong & decided to step down from his position WITHOUT being forced to do so by being exposed by someone else.

July 1, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  3. MEXI

This is no surprise.....everybody is doing it.....your husband, my husband, your boyfriend, my boyfriend, your father, my father. I just think its amazing that when the crap hits the fan, they were "just misled by the devil".....yeah right, that ole devil in their pants ! If folks were sooooooooooooo concerned about the feelings of God and their families, why do it in the first place. Every human being on this earth is a sinner.....from the pulpit to drug houses.....so everyone, please stop acting so holier than your neighbor !!

May 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  4. MotherMary

.....but is the "staff member" a man?

If it weren't for the christians, he wouldn't have to step down.

May 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  5. Dave954

Well, for a Republican, I suppose this is refreshing. Only a staff member. Not an Argentine hottie or a Florida rentboy. As for twisting personal failings, Congressman, you did that all by your li'l ol' self. Didn't need anyone's help for that.

May 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm |