home
RSS
May 20th, 2010

Is Miss USA a Muslim trailblazer?

She's always wanted to be a beauty queen and her dream came true with one of the biggest titles – Miss USA 2010 – Rima Fakih.

As soon as the announcement was made, the labels appeared. She was described as Arab-American, Lebanese-American, Muslim-American. She became the center of controversy overnight after pole dancing photos surfaced and spread across the globe just as fast as an outlandish rumor started by a U.S. neo-conservative blog that she's a spy for the Shiite Lebanese group Hezbollah, designated by the U.S. and E.U. countries as a terrorist group.

It's hard to gauge which claim could possibly hurt the new Miss USA more: the racy pictures or the unfounded rumors alleging she is affiliated with Hezbollah. One thing is certain, the Internet feasted on the story and different groups with different agendas jumped on the opportunity this story afforded them.

Read the full post on CNN's news blog, This Just In

Update 1:20 p.m.: An earlier version of this post had a headline we thought was too provocative.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Culture & Science • Islam

1. An Atheist, oh no!

I wish CNN would drop the coverage of her before some fanatic takes her out.

May 20, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
    • elitesack

even if they do take her out, i'll still think about her in the shower

May 20, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  2. doug

Wow. This is really low.

May 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  3. srot

"Hezbollah spy?" Beyond pathetic. Good luck with this business model, CNN.

May 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  4. Jeff

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she wouldn;t be that hard to bang.

May 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  5. kahuna

What a disgusting headline. But, am I surprised? Unfortunately I am not. I stopped watching cnn years ago because of nonsense like this. Specifically when Wolf and Howie Kurtz went out of their way to rehabilitate White House press attendee and male escort, Jeff Gannon. They were like a defense attorney leading their own witness. There have so many instances of journalistic malpractice that they have absolutely no credibility with me.

May 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  6. Mike Royn

How about: "Our previous headline was racist and has been changed to a non-racist version"

May 20, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  7. Jim

Are you kidding me CNN?

Another reason why I watch the PBS NewsHour instead of the drama-queens of the mainstream media.

May 20, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  8. Mike Royn

I remember December 2004 like it was yesterday. The tsunami had just happened, and I made the mistake of going to cnn.com to read up about it. One of the headlines that morning was "Halle Berry Comments on Tsunami." And I thought – ahh, that's it for me. That's the last time I go to cnn.com. I NEVER come here – I just came today from a link on talkingpointsmemo.com pointing to this moronic headline.

May 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  9. John Mulkerin

"An earlier version of this post had a headline we thought was too provocative." Weak statement there, CNN
    How about: An earlier version of this sensationalistic waste of time post had a blatantly stupid headline designed to generate clicks, but unlike Fox, we are so afraid of our own shadow that we often cave when our propaganda generates too much heat."

May 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  10. Zach Schieffelin

are you really wondering why your rating are so miserable? Your answer is in the article above and your original headline...

May 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  11. RobertoElGrande

You want ratings CNN? Go point a live camera at Ted Turner so we can watch him twitch, grind his teeth and finally stroke out at seeing what a pathetic joke his once proud news network has turned into.

May 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  12. Ted

Keep it classy, CNN.

May 20, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  13. Simone

What is wrong with CNN's judgement. Quit reporting from the blogs of crazy right-wingers and do your job – report the news! Disgusting.

May 20, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
    • Rocky Lore

You Democrats are disgusting. You still worship CNN.

May 22, 2010 at 3:50 am |
    • WarriorLemming

Yeah, I think that's been CNN's problem for a long time starting with Bush's push for war in Iraq. They covered the story as if Bush's point of view made sense to them never once asking the hard questions. Where they could have made a real difference in history they decided to "ride along" and now we are mired in a war that was built on lies. Watching Wolff interview Cheney was laughable he was getting verbally slapped around by Cheney he looked scared to death and never once did he ask Cheney the hard questions. What a buffoon! I wish Cheney would sit down to an interview with Rachel Maddow.....

May 22, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  14. chris

this is an absolutely pathetic excuse for journalism.

May 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  15. Dean

Next week, she will have been kidnapped by UFOs and involved in a scandalous love triangle with Elvis and Bat Boy before being eaten by the Loch Ness Monster. I look forward to seeing your next edition while I wait in line at the supermarket. So long, journalistic integrity...hello, Jerry Springer.

May 20, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  16. Mikojack

CNN has become a tabloid trash.

May 20, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  17. As Bad As Fox

As we all know, Miss USA is always invited to all meetings with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, so that gives her perfect access to all the nuke launch codes to then pass on to the King Muslim... Morons

May 20, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  18. Are You Serious CNN

You have to be kidding CNN. Crazy sensationalist headline with not an ounce of basis in reality.

May 20, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  19. Robert

Thanks, CNN, for reminding me why I stopped trusting you as a source for "news". If I wanted sensationalist dribble with no basis in reality, I'd watch Fox.

May 20, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  20. Alex

Why would you even publish this garbage? What power does being Miss USA have that they would need a spy? Idiots. . .

May 20, 2010 at 11:18 am |
    • Wally

Because she is a beauty bomb!....
      Just being sarcastic, agree with you 100%

May 20, 2010 at 11:25 am |
    • Flashlight Guy

LOL! She sure is bright!

May 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
    • Juan Dominguez

Alex, before you continue with the dismissal, the spy allegation is what is called a straw man, a mythical creature meant to define the argument and paint the supposed bad guy as a bad guy or worse, a racist. This is how educated elitist bigots try to control the rest of us.

May 22, 2010 at 4:11 am |