home
RSS
May 31st, 2010

A Muslim voice at ground zero

Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar and author of "God is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions that Run the World," is a regular CNN Belief Blog contributor.

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

The United States has from its inception seen itself as something new. But populism—the politics of nostalgia—has a long history here. And the nation’s capital is, among other things, a Necropolis—a site for the memorialization of the dead.

How a nation memorializes the dead matters, not least by revealing what it lives for. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial tells us that the dead are to be remembered by name. So does the Oklahoma City National Memorial, whose 168 chairs represent the individuals taken by terror on April 19, 1995.

The memorials we are now building out of the ashes of 9/11 tell us something about the United States, too, as does the Ground Zero site itself, which is why the recent scuffle over whether there is to be a mosque in the vicinity is a matter not just for the Tea Party spokespeople who oppose it or the New York City community board that voted 29-1 to support it. It is a matter for all Americans, and the questions it calls are two.

The first concerns the so-called war on terror. Is the United States at war with Islam? If so, there should be no mosque near Ground Zero, and perhaps no mosque anywhere in Manhattan or for that matter in the United States.

The second is whether we are at war with the First Amendment. The United States may well be the most Christian country on earth (at least three out of every four Americans call themselves Christians) but until the First Amendment is repealed it is also a country that guarantees religious liberty to Christians and non-Christians alike.

So I disagree with Rod Dreher’s claim that a mosque at Ground Zero is “insane.” And I agree with Joe Klein’s call to build that mosque in the name of American freedom.

But building a mosque two blocks from Ground Zero is not enough. If the Ground Zero site, forever hallowed by those who disappeared into death there, is to reflect American values, the religion of Islam should also have a place at the Ground Zero memorial itself.

Like the Vietnam and Oklahoma City memorials, the 9/11 memorial will include a litany of the names of the dead. It should also include the names of Muslims worldwide who denounce the terrors of 9/11 as a crime against humanity and against Islam itself. These people are out there by the millions.  Let’s gather their signatures online and display them in a database at Ground Zero.

For every right-wing talk show host who says the mosque, if built, should be bombed, there are in my view millions of Muslims who know their tradition well enough to denounce terror in the name of Allah. Am I right? Let's find out.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: 'Ground zero mosque' • Culture wars • Islam • Politics • Religious liberty • Violence

1. Umme Omar

I agree with Surthurford

June 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Surthurfurd

All Abrahamic religions have aspects that we can find great respect for and aspects that are quite disturbing. What we are great at is seeing the shames of others and lousy at seeing our own (even if they are identical). Of course Jesus had something to say about specks in eyes and logs. Maybe we could focus on ways to ask each other to help us with our logs? Sort of beats looking to justify hatred.

June 5, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  3. build somewhere else

Why do muslims even live in the country of infidels? Never understood that. And now build a mosque next to Ground Zero...how much more are we going to "tolerate"? How many Christian churches are there in Iran? I would like to see some tolerance on the part of muslims first. If anybody truly believes in peace he better make sure this dumb mosque doesn't get built. I think in the long run many more people would die because of it.
    Oh, by the way......who the 'bleep' cares about how many muslims died on 9-11? Shows you how crazy they are....killing their own kind.

June 5, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
    • Umme Omar

I care about them. They were citizens of USA. Anybody who loves USA and his or her fellow citizens would care for them. You don't because you don't love this country, thats it.

June 5, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
    • rar

build somewhere else. it is because we are the target country for them to populate and try to eventually bring sharia law it is happening in spain great britain and france. the mohams are starting to cause trouble over there because they have sufficient population to do so. they are peaceful until they get so much population. then they turn from dr jeckyl into MR.HYDE.

June 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Yeah conspiracy theories are abundant. Guess what...the Muslims are going to take over this world and the UFO's and the green people are going to ...bleh blah blah

June 5, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
    • Umme Omar

BTW I don't believe you, rar, douglas, Total nonsense, cardog or anyboy else who is writing these anti Islam messages here care about any victims or their families. The fateful day when it happened, actually your kind of people were very happy to think that islam's image was tarnished. You come here , not to sympathize with the victims' families but to spew anti Islam venom.... thats it.

June 5, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
    • Total non sense

Dear Umme Omar, Been a Citizen of the USA and Mulsim is simply impossible, Islam hate amarica and it prove it every day. the only reason muslims come here, is because some are dum enough the welcome the enemy, and Islam is taking advantage of that. When Islam is goign to attack the USA(and it will) it will not need to bring a army, because we already let them in.

June 6, 2010 at 1:15 am |
    • Total non sense

Dear Umme Omar, until i see a muslim have beer and a pork sandwich in a gay bar, i will not beleive Islam can integrate with anything. they come here and FORCE Islam upon us. you want to integrate? loose the religion, the turban and the building of mosquees and we will talk.

June 6, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  4. cardog

Religous tolerance, like racial tolerance is taught in the home. Parents who are intolerant will pass this on to their children.
    Christianity at one time, especially during the middle ages was a very intolerant religion. (Remember the crusades?) Now in our mordern times we are dealing again with that same intolerance, but this time it's Islam. In Saudi Arabia, you cannot have a bible in your posession, you cannot worship openly other than the faith of Islam. THis is going on today, not 4 or 5 centuries ago.
    I for one do not trust Arabs. This is not a racial bias. It's simply because I take them at their practice of do whatever is necessary to get the advantage, then break any agreement if the advantage get them what they want.

June 5, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Even in America today many white parents are teaching racism to their children. On CNN they told us about a study in which white children were shown to have bias towards whites. When they were shown cartoons of kids of different colors and asked about who is the best kid, they pointed to white faces. And who is the worst kid and they pointed to black faces. Yesterday in south carolina a 19 year old White man killed a black guy and then dragged his body for 10 miles. I am sure Jesus christ (PBUH) did not teach him that, his parents did. Sometimes you don't know, but racism in your heart is passed down to your children without your realizing it.

June 5, 2010 at 6:45 pm |
    • Umme Omar

You shoud listen to Melcolm X's last message when he converted to Islam. When he went to Hajj, he saw many whites and blacks and people of other color. What impressed him most was that color is incidental to Muslims. A white says he is white without any arrogance. whereas in USA, saying 'I am white' means 'I am white and I am better than everybody else'. These are his words, not mine. many blacks and some whites are converting to Islam only because of the beautiful message of islam. If you don't know about it, learn Arabic and read Quran in its text. Islam is for all the time and for all the people.

June 5, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
    • Total non sense

Dear Umme Omar, nobody care about the color of your skin (or any other one), muslims come in all form, shape and color, but they all carry the same message: Violence and destruction. you will never convince any one with a IQ higher then 10 that islam is good. If you remove the violent elements from Islam, there is nobody left. so don't try to hide your thrue nature behind sweet words, because nobody is buying it.

June 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm |
  5. C#Eddie

I am a devoted Catholic but I accept the fact that most of the war in this world is because of religion. The Crusade is one, Europe send the crusaders to Jerusalem because it is occupied by muslims. When the founding father founded the United States they knew that there should be a separation of church and state because they knew that if one religion have control of the government there would be chaos. Communism also knew the danger of religion and they completed outlawed religion.

Maybe, we are better of without any religion.

June 5, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
    • Total non sense

All religons are bad, but Islam is by far the whorst, it is the one who need to go first. in this day and age there is not need for religion, it just don;t serve any purpose.

June 5, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  6. Paladin

Everyone is forgetting that almost 300 Muslims were also killed in the WTC collapse on 9/11, including a Medic who went into the collapsing structure in order to help. Unfortunately, at first he was thought to be part of the plot, until his body was discovered with his bag with first aid and other medical stuff.

I think all this fits perfectly with a plot rivaling STAR WARS. I wonder who is the Lord Sith in this case, given that AlQaeda is like the separatists and guess who is the Republic. We are currently watching the Clone Wars!!!

June 5, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
    • Umme Omar

A cousin of mine and his brother in law were in the buiding when it happened. As they were coming down, they saw human limbs. It was a very very sad site. My cousin and his BIl had to receive counciling for many months to follow. Today when i look back, I remember, first I was very worried for the people there. So worried I could not sleep for nights. Then there was a backlash at Muslims. It is like a boyfriend kills your baby and when you return home to see the baby dead, people do no let you cry over the baby because somehow they thought that you had some part in it. It is grief and then more grief for us.

June 5, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
    • Total non sense

Dear Umme Omar, whould errect a monument to the killer of your baby? Ground Zero need to be 100% Islam and Mulsims free. actually all of north america whould benefit from been Islam and Muslims free, as you do not welcome with open arms your mortal enemy

June 5, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
    • Umme Omar

The whole world, not just USA and North America needs to be clean of people like total non sense. We need people like total sense. India is one great example of how all the faiths have come together to build a new India.
      Like it or not, I am just as American as you. And yes yesterday an Ohio kid won the national spelling bee from Indian origin

June 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
    • stephen douglas

Paladin.....No, I think most of the posters remember that Muslims died in the towers as well. However, it begs the question, why would we want any Islamic symbol so close to the towers when it's members would kill their own as surely as they would kill Westerners? Whether so called moderate Muslims will acknowledge it or not, the murderers of 9/11 were Muslims. They just had a different perspective on the Qu'ran, which is easy to do because it is so full of intolerance, provocation, and manipulation. Read it cover to cover some time. Out of respect for the majority of families who lost loved ones on 9/11, no mosque should be erected anywhere near ground zero. It is a deliberate, calculated provocation by the Islamic leadership, and if you don't believe that you are a naive fool, just like the author of this article.

June 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Stephen douglas, I am a devotedg Muslim, I condemn the Muslims who attacked us but there is nothing wrong with teachings of Quran. They misinterprated Quran just like you, which is very sad. But Quran's teachings are the most beautiful teachings in the world. That is why so many people in USA are converting to Islam. BTW do take some time to answer my questions regarding the verse numbers that you quoted.

June 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. cardog

When the Arabs throughout the middle-east and Indionesia stop with the hate for Isreal and disavow their vocal denunciations of this country, I will give Arabs and the religion of Islam another look. Until then, it is my belief that Islam and the different Arab countries are consume by hate all in the name of religion.
    Those of you on this blog that are either Arab or of the muslim faith really need to do, not simply say. I've seen no demonstrations by Arabs/muslims aganist suicide bombers, no calls for the cessation of missles being fired into Isreal.
    When compromise is offered and you continue to refuse because you want the whole pie, then it is my belief that you and your fellow supporterd of these hatred towards Isreal can all go to that bad place where ever it is fanatics killers and radicals go.

June 5, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  8. Umme Omar

And another post in which I condemned terrorism

Umme Omar

dear stephen Douglas, I wrote three messages in a row because it is not accepting long messages so I broke it in three parts. I am not attacking you, I am just saying that when I defend islam, I am not defending the barbaric terrorist acts of Muslims. they are bad people and they should be condemned.

June 5, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |

June 5, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
    • stephen douglas

UMME OMAR...I have an English version of the Qu'ran first printed around 1934, translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, 2002 version. A book first printed in 1934 and reprinted numerous times since should have all the translation bugs worked out of it, so I believe it is fairly accurate.

Sura 33, "Al Ahzab (The Confederates)", verse 50 pertains to Muhammad and his women.

However, if you have to explain everything as opposed to someone just being able to read it at face value, then what was the sense of writing it to begin with? Furthermore, who are you or any other human to interpret the true words of God? Your interpretation and someone else's interpretation may be RADICALLY different.

Hence the problem with the Qu'ran and Islam. There are obviously too many members of this so called religion who interpret it's teachings to mean go out and kill anyone who is a nonbeliver. It says so in the Qu'ran. But, I guess you would have an explanation...

Bottom line: You may not think the murdering cowards of 9/11 were not Muslims. But the reality is that they were, but they interpreted the teachings of the Qu'ran differently than you. And that means the building of a mosque at ground zero is wrong. It will be a shrine for too many of your religion.

June 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Zephyrous

OK, I have to admit that I only have read about 2/3 of the 620 comments on here so far. Yet...one thing I noticed quite strikingly is that there are a fairly large number of people posting that appear to be of the Islamic faith, in so much as they are defending that religion and/or pointing out similar violent undertones in the Christion religion. Not a single one that I have read yet had denounced or even mentioned the terrible occurrences on 9/11 at what we now refer to as "ground zero". The author of this opinion piece gave them the opening and opportunity to do so. He clearly states "there are in my view millions of Muslims who know their tradition well enough to denounce terror in the name of Allah. Am I right? Let's find out." Not one of them has done so yet. How, then, are we to belive what the author is suggesting – that the vast majority of them given the opportunity will decry that tragedy, or terrorism in general – when given an anomymous opportunity they have not. To me that speaks volumes. I will now return to reading the other 1/3 of the posts to see if I can find even one self-described muslim say anything negative about terrorism or the events of 9/11.

It would also be nice to see all of the Christians on here admitting the terrible atrocities performed historically and even recently in their name and renouncing the killing of millions of "non-believers" in the name of thier version of god. Not holding my breath on that one either.

June 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
    • Umme Omar

just to prove u lie here is my post
      Umme Omar

Mary, islam did not attack USA. Some terrorists did. Go to CARE website, Muslims condemn all acts of terrorism. USA has not condemned Israel's attack on Tukish aid flotilla yet. We should all denounce ALL ACTS of terrorism.

June 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |

June 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Zephyrous, tell me if any other Muslim is here beside me. Almost everybody who comes here bashes my relgion islam. This article is about making a mosque at ground zero. But people are using it to write their evil provocative thoughts about Islam. It makes me very angry. But only because I read Quran, I cool myself down

June 5, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  10. Gary

We need no churches,Mosques,Temples,Synogods,or any places of worship near ground zero. We need commerical industries build their and every where else in this nation so we can be a great powerful country like China. God is blessing China with american Manufacturing jobs. Religion produces nothing look @ the middle east and all those religious pig sty countries. We need to get back to being a productive country less reliant on imports and foreign cheap labor. Maybe one day U.S.A will be a great industrial country like China and India.

June 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Gary you are right. We must focus on making USA a geat country like China or even India. India is a secular country where people of different faiths practice their religion but they have learned to put their differences behind to make their country Incredible India.

June 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  11. sanethinker

What will be the outcome of a child who is given regular dose of religion like in madrasa, as an adult he will be incapable of adjusting to 21st century. At best he will join his colleagues and rationalize jihad to pull down everybody to 7th I guess.

June 5, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  12. Silhouette

I don't understand who are 'we' when you use this word, Mary. Are you refering to the white only, the ones who brought black slaves here, mass exterminated the real inhabitants of this land and plundered land from the mexicans in the region while they were dividing this land among themselves like it was their birht right?
    Doesn't make you look very good at all. Actually its really shameful and I don't see a single comment that sounds apologetic on any of these race hate crimes.
    Can you tell in whose name did you attack all these people? Its not your country if you took it by force. Its more mine because I entered here legally following the laws of the people who are running it here, even if they are not right to own it. You on the other hand just by the mere fact of beiong descendent of some murdering racist psychopath, don't really deserve to call this your country at all.

June 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
    • rar

silhouette how can you say such a thing. look up the history. who were the people over in the arab countries before the mohams slew them and took over. Those lands were not originally mohammedin.

June 5, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
    • stephen douglas

Silhouette and any other Muslim who thinks I cannot interpret the Qu'ran.....

You are correct, I cannot interpret Arabic.

That is why I have an English version first printed around 1934, translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, 2002 version. Don't you think that a book first printed in 1934 and reprinted numerous times since would have had all the translation bugs worked out of it by 2002?

None of this is misinterpreted:

Throughout the Qur'an there are "revealations" tellng Muslims to kill others for different reasons. There is a verse that says the Prophet does not burden himself with prisoners until the people are crushed...what happens to them??? It says "Vanquish the unbelievers who are a people without understanding"... "Fight and slay the pagens wherever you find them, beleaguer them, but if they repent and establish regular prayers then open the way for them" (i.e., terrorize them until they accept Islam). "Fight those that believe not in Allah nor the last day"..."Fight the pagens all together as they fight you all together"..."Unless you go forth in the cause of Allah He will punish you with a grievious chatisement"..."When we decide to destroy a population, we first send a definite order to those among them who are given the good things of this life and yet transgress, then we destroy them utterly"...

And my favorite:
      "O Prophet we have made lawful to you your wives; and those prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to you; the daughters of your paternal uncles and aunts, and daughters of you maternal uncles and aunts, and any believing woman who dedicates her soul to the Prophet if the Prophet wishes to wed her; this only for you, not for the Believers at large."

Ol' Muhamed made sure he was taken care of, didn't he??

As I said previously, Muslims are practicing a 4th century philosophy while using 21st century weaponry.

You can say Christianity is no longer the word of God, that it has been distorted by men. But, Christians are not running around blowing themselves up; attacking wedding parties or shoppers in a market or mosque; or cutting off heads of screaming victims; or throwing acid into the faces of young ladies; etc., etc. Christianity has evolved. Islam is stuck in ancient mud.

So, maybe you Muslims need to rethink where you are with a book written by a man who claims to have flown to the temple mount on the back of a winged flying horse while getting regular messages from God. A man who was booted out of his hometown, became a cutthroat robber of caravans, and then returned to his hometown and "converted" all the people without shedding any blood because of course everyone now welcomed him back and just rolled over and allowed him to take over the town with no resistance whatsoever. Right.

Building a mosque anywhere near ground zero is flat out wrong.

June 5, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Ok stephen douglas, if you are serious to learn something, I will asnwer your questions. But if you will walk in circles like everybody else, jumping from one question to another, without paying attention to my answers, then I won't.

Please tell me the verse numbers and Chapter numbers or names for these verses that you just quoted. I think some of them are from Chapter Al-Tauba (Repentense) but I want to make sure. Every verse was actually revealed to our beloved Prophet in certain situation and they all have a certain context or back ground, Chapter Al-Tauba was revealed in a time when Islamic state was being established in Medina and the pagens of Makkah and some hypocrites of Medina were conspiring against the state. Allah just called a spade a spade. Unless they relaize their mistakes and make a serious repentence, Allah was not going to forgive them. These verses can only be followed if there is a similar situation. when a country makes an agression against an Islamic state. But these verses cannot be followed if Muslims are making an aggression on another country without any reason. Muslims should never make aggression to other countries unless it is in some defense.

June 5, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
    • Umme Omar

About the verses about the wives, please tell me the specific Chapter numbers or names and verse numbers. I need to look at the Arabic text and at the context of these verses.

About Christianity being evolved and Islam stuck in 4th century, please do not give one side of the picture. It depends on which shoes you are in. Many Muslims think that islam is a religion of kindness and Christians have called another Crusades on them. When Bush and Cheney invaded Iraq, he used chemical weapons on civilian population. They claimed they went to Iraq to find weapons of mass destruction but many Muslims think it is not true and they went there for oil.

I am actually a teacher of relgion and not politics. I really don't want to discuss these things.
      Just tell me the verse numbers and name or numbers of the chapters and I will give you answer as soon as I can.

June 5, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  13. Raj

Mr. Stephen, if you're presenting yourself to be the most secular by your opinion, ..fine, but don't take alibi of great American and civilized world's liberty, values and democracy to justify your view point. If someone enjoys those privileges, they should also learn to respect other's sensitivity, values and freedom. I haven't read Koran, but what I see, hear and read, news and incident daily that atleast some believers of Islam if not all believers preaches hatred, violence and in killing which at best could be described as primitive, berber, beastly character, it will be disservice to categorize them animals, since even animals have their rules and they're loyals, friendly and adorable. Let Islam or so called preachers bring the values, freedom and respect for everyone in their Muslim world before preaching their ideology outside. It's the pathetic and sickening of this Ideology which treats it's own women as material object and a person can marry a girl as young as 11-12 and marry legally 4 women at a time, and imposes forcefully on it own women to be veiled from head to toes in public, should have no place in civilized world. Building a mosque which preaches a garbage ideology anywhere near Manhattan would hurt the core sensitivity of any civilized person. Let's be honest, 9/11 incident was an assault on the very core of every civilized person, it's a black day for humanity. Let's build something which is a fitting tribute to all precious life lost, may be a memorial /park, or a great learning center open to all public.

June 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm |
    • Umme Omar

marrying young girls or practicing polygamy is not islamic ideology. Arabs practiced polygamy long before Islam came in. When Islam came in Arabia, it laid our rights for wives. If you are from India, tell me how many Muslims marry 12 years old girls in India or practice polygamy? In India, Hindus abort their female fetuses and India has the highest male to female ratio in the whole world. In Quran Allah has said that He wont even speak to people who kill their baby girls (or fetuses) much less forgive them on the day of Judgement

June 5, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
    • Umme Omar

And as far as covering women from head to toe is concerned, its not treating them as objects. It is just opposite. Women in revealing outfits are treated as objects, They are precious and noble, and should not be revealed for everyone to look at them.

June 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  14. Mary Runge

I haven't heard one Muslim protest the terrorism committed by their own. Not one. No outcry for it to stop..nothing. This article insults my intelligence. Please save the rhetoric for someone else. America was attacked in the name of Allah..by Islam. Their government cannot and will not operate without their religion. Everything they do is based on their religious beliefs, it is their driving force. They are the only religion that still beheads people. America is dumbed down and I am tired of communists, socialists and facists forcing themselves upon our country. We the people know exactly what happened on 9/11 and why. The mosque at ground zero is a slap in the face and yes....insane.

June 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm |

June 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
    • Total non sense

dear Umme Omar, Islam attack the USA (and the rest of the world on a daily basis). 99% of the violence on earth right now is a direct cause of Islam. And no, Israel is not a terrorist, it prevented a ENEMY supply ship from reaching it's destination, they should have SINK all the ships. as there is no negociation possible with Islam, the only laguuage islam understand is violence, death and deastruction. as is the way of life of every muslim.

June 5, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
    • Umme Omar

total nonsense, this article is about the choice of building a mosque on ground zero. You come here to bash Islam. There is another article about Jewish group on CNN. Go over there and have some insight. real insight. Stop looking at things with narrow mindedness and racism. Look around and see what THE WHOLE WORLD IS SAYING. Turkey is not a terrorist country. It is secular and was considered Israel best ally in that region. They are so mad. Read BBC, Reuters, even google news and open your eyes...hello world

June 5, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
    • Total non sense

Dear Umme Omar, This article is about the most violent and bloodthisrty religion in the world who want to built a ENEMY at ground. Not a chance, the next time a TERRORIST is released and when it go back to it'ss country of origin and muslim all over do do burst in dances and festivity, when a cartoon does not make muslims trash a couples of coutry, when peoples gaza will overthown hamas and delivers it to Israel, maybe then, when those things will happen, i might change my view on islam, but we both know it will never happen. Islam and muslims continue to show the world every day that Islam is not compaible with human life.

June 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  15. Troy

All Muslims are filthy animals and should be deemed terrorists and shot

June 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
    • Kevin

Replace the word 'Muslims' with 'Jews' in that sentence and it's Hitler's Final Solution all over again.

June 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

So I guess you're running on the Republican ticket?

June 5, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • Total non sense

Kevin, Jews do not use every single occasion hey get to kill innoncents peoples. Mulsims do. They is not greater wrong right now them Islam, it must be fight on fronts, until it become a memory lf the past (like hitler). Mulsims are several million time whorst then hitler. A mulsim only purpose in live is tho destroy thie human race, we need to get ride of them, but don/t worry, no acutally human is at risk, as anyone fellowing the teaching of islam does not qualify as human.

June 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
    • Umme Omar

total insane so many typos? You are losing it.

June 5, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  16. sanethinker

Now I know why some see only good pious holy among thugs, suicide bombers and extremist (until proven their act or approval by their religious leaders or else everything will be denied or condemned) and all others who are trying to point at it as dirty evil and people with lots of -ve thoughts.

June 5, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  17. Umme Omar

People with evil and negative thoughts will only see evil in others. People who have goodness in their hearts will see goodness around them. Get over with your negative thoughts and read the correct translation of Quran with open heart and mind. there is guidance and wisdom in it. I am done for today. I will get back on monday or may be not.

June 5, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  18. Umme Omar

There are numerous verses of Quran and sayings of our Beloved Prophet which command us to have passion and kindness for the who whole humanity and we spend our day and night doing exactly that. What about you? R you following Jesus (PBUH) He did not ask you to spread hatred. He did not ask you to consume alcohol and eat pork. What did you eat today? First pay attention to your own actions and then look around.

June 5, 2010 at 10:50 am |
    • Total non sense

If the Koran is so full of love and compassion, why does most muslim interpret in a way that tell them to kill and destroy and fight in the most coward way possible (suicide bombing)?

Only idiots will belive that a glass of win and pork sandwich is a sin!!!

The koran is a book of hate, destuction and brain washing. it have teach muslims all over the world since day one, that the only to be a good muslim is to KILLL and DESTROY everything that is non islamic. that is a PROVEN fact. so ditch that peace garbage, let your kid play video game, go have a beer and let your wife uncover her face while she make a delicious pork roast.

All religions are wrong, but Islam is by far the whorst of them

June 5, 2010 at 11:51 am |
    • Umme Omar

Quran's teachings are about kindness and social Justice. It is people's fault if they cannot interpret it right.

June 5, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  19. Umme Omar

I just replied to AJV about the response of Muslims when there is a disaster in the world. We respond to evey disaster and color, faith and country are all incidental to us. I have no time to answer your questions. I am the only Muslim here and I have to sleep and give time to my family. What are you doing? sending out hate messages? How noble

June 5, 2010 at 10:47 am |
    • stephen douglas

Correct if I am wrong here.....you just wrote at least three messages in a row. And, all you can do is attack me and say I am spreading evil and hate, but you ask what I have been eating and drinking? And you are representative of a kind, tolerant, advanced "religion"?

I say again, there are some decent, well meaning Muslims, but your religion is one of intolerance, violence, and manipulation. It alternates wonderful, kind teachings with threats of eternal punishments, rewards of gardens with water and virgins, and then fighting and killing. It is classic brainwashing.

And by the way, I have not had any alcohol for several weeks now, but I did cook a pork roast on my smoker last weekend. You should try it with home made applesauce, it' s awesome. I'll send you the recipe. But I may need a drink after these posts.

June 5, 2010 at 11:03 am |

June 5, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
    • Umme Omar

Some christians and jews are also doing bad things, but it does not mean there was anything wrong with the teachings of Christ, John, Zackeria or Isaq, jacob,Moses, Joshua (AS, PBUT) In Quran Allah admonishes people for not following their messaners and Apostles, but He never rebukes the Prophets. He loves them all very much and commands Muslims to believe in all of them.

June 5, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
    • Umme Omar

and finally about alcohol and pork, I brought them up because Allah has commanded us to not consume them. Alcohol can actually blind us off from rationality. People can say and do a lot of disgusting and vulgar things when they are under the influence. People drive UID and hurt other people. Pig is not a very healthy animal to consume either. But thanks fior your kind offer. Please next you read Quran, don't read it after consuming alcohol or pig

June 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  20. stephen douglas

I thnk it is funny that no Muslims have responded to my post June 5 12:50 am where I typed out several passages straight from my "holy" Qur'an.

If you are brought up from childhood memorizing and reciting three to five times a day that the world is flat and ther are dragons and demons below if you fall off the edge, that is what you will believe. Same with Islam.

There are some really good, decent, well meaning people practicing this so called religion, but they are pawns for it's leaders. They are blinded from years of brainwashing. If they could step back, take an objective look at how Islam got started and how it was perpetuated by Muhammed, they would begin to see what so many nonMuslims see.

And it is probably true regarding the traitors who approved this travesty – check their bank accounts and see how much money exchanged hands under the table. That board was made up of cowardly traitors. Anyone supporting building a mosque anywhere near ground zero is no better.

June 5, 2010 at 10:24 am |
    • Umme Omar

stephen douglas, it is weekend in USA. Unlike you, muslims have strong family values. We are with our families and taking care of them. We do not spend our time on internet propagating hateful evil thought and drawing provocative pictures.

June 5, 2010 at 10:44 am |
    • Total non sense

Umme Omar, you mean you are busy brain washing you childrens, teach them about the infidels and how they must all be kill, explaining suicide bombing 101 and that how your great phophet was a child abuser. these FACT are all in the koren. i suggest you let your children watch AMERICAN cartoons and leave them along, they will get a better education out of it.

June 5, 2010 at 11:42 am |
    • Umme Omar

Total non sense, I am teaching my kids same values that I am implementing in my life. Respect for people and denouncing extremism. What are you doing other than sending out hate messages about other faiths?

June 5, 2010 at 2:46 pm |