home
RSS
June 2nd, 2010

Lady Gaga on Catholicism

From the Editors: Larry King Live Senior Producer Nancy Baker was on site in London for Larry King's interview with Lady Gaga. She filed this report:

It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to meet a global sensation. I traveled to London this week for Larry King’s interview with superstar Lady Gaga.

Arranging this special one-on-one – part of our celebration of Larry’s 25th anniversary with CNN – was no easy task. Lady Gaga is in the midst of her sold-out world tour, The Monster’s Ball. To say her schedule is jam-packed is to understate the case.

Still, her team carved out the time. The venue was a designated room in the backstage area of the O2 Arena, where Lady Gaga would thrill (and I do mean THRILL!) her fans with a brilliant concert performance just hours later.

Right on time – to the minute – Lady Gaga walked in, accompanied by just three people.

“Hi everyone, I’m Gaga,” she introduced herself to our CNN crew – which was more than three times as large as her modest entourage. She then proceeded to shake hands with everybody. She could not have been more gracious.

I – and everybody else on the crew – had wondered what she was going to wear. She did not disappoint. Just the opposite. Lady Gaga paid a witty tribute to Larry by donning a white silk shirt and unique black suspenders. To add to the visual punch, Larry took his seat on our New York set sporting a black shirt and white suspenders! Was this study in sartorial opposites planned ahead of time? No. Absolutely not. It was serendipity. And it added a terrific touch to a unique show.

Lady Gaga was as candid as she was articulate throughout the interview. Her frankness extended to her very honest comments about growing up in the Roman Catholic Church.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science

« Previous entry
  1. mmi16

There are over 6 Billion people in the world and there are over 6 Billion belief systems....and everyone of them believe they are RIGHT!

June 10, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  2. Jon

Also...

If a government cabinet had 15 members and 12 of them were buddhist, and this was a country of many diverse religions, wouldn't this be wrong? Ofcourse!

Now... imagine the follow:

If a government cabinet had 15 members and 12 of them were christian, and this was a country of many diverse religions, wouldn't this be wrong? Hmm? If you ask the christians, ofcourse not! Why? Because christianity is hte truth, they say!

It's our responsibility to ensure that government is not excessively representing the views of a particular religion.

June 9, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  3. Jon

I favor Buddhism just because of how it desires to treat all forms of life with respect. There's no clear distinction between self and the universe. If there's a god, we're god because we're the universe. And craving is what leads to suffering, so you must learn to control it. Buddhism is a responsible religion that doesn't seek to judge other religions. It's a path of learning. It recognizes that the universe around us, including us, is constantly changing and nothing remains the same.

I also have a respect for paganism because of its amount of tolerance for people who believe differently, but ultimately we must discard faith as a tool to understand. Faith is not rationale. Science is the language of the universe and if we do not learn the language then we cannot survive in this universe. However, I am not fooling myself. I am not an atheist, not in the purest sense. I do not believe we will ever eradicate faith or religion or irrational thought. Maybe we must have some kind of middle ground where we can find room for tolerant beliefs and rationale thought. Whatever the case, I know what I'm trying to accomplish. That's rationale thought. My journey to acquire it is a long one, every bit as testing as the path saints have walked.

June 9, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  4. Gary

Lady Gaga, Paris Hilton, Benny Hinn,Jimmy Swaggert,Jim Bakker Osama bin ladin are all great religious figures...

June 9, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  5. Jon

Christianity and Judaism and Islam all come from the same mold. They're 3 different versions of the bible, patched together to favor them as a people and their values. They're the most intolerant religions out there. They all have prophecy about armageddon in the middle east. If there's a satan, then whoever satan is created these 3 monotheistic religions because they're starkly divided and are bound to war with eachother eternally. If that's what you want, then you're a friend of satan.

June 9, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  6. Sanjose Mike

I have no idea who this lady (gaga) is and I could care less what religion she is. In fact, I have no idea why I posted here in the first place. sanjosemike

June 9, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  7. Gregg

Isn't she transgendered? Not that it makes any difference. I think she's a great performer backed by great musicians and songwriters. Cheers to her for believing in something good.

June 9, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  8. jake the bum

Lets all vote for Polanski for Pope and gaga for his assistant pedophile Priest

June 9, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  9. JEAN BELTON

"I' am 99.9% sure that Jean Maya would like to have a serious affair with Lady Gaga",said his assistant in chief.

June 9, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  10. neil

"bickering over religion etc etc..."

I think we need more bickering over religion

June 9, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  11. skiznot

Last straw CNN = Christian News Network. I want news not a commercial for irrational beliefs. First you take Science away from the front page and now the "belief blogs"? Gonna give MSNBC a try.

June 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  12. skued

#1 songs does not equate greatness in musically challenged era. I do however find her extremely entertaining and fun to listen to/watch. How they make the jump from someones experience in a religion to making her sound like an expert, I don't get. I do believe the sooner all religion excepts others and stops making judgments of those outside of their sect and starts looking inward at how their religion behaves and preceived, the better!

June 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  13. brad1001

I'll give her props for her chops, she can sing. And the stage show is entertainment. While I don't dig the music, at least she's putting people to work and acting like a decent person. That's more than can be said for todays' misogynistic thug "artists".

June 9, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  14. john

I do not know why, but I really like her.

June 9, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  15. JustSayin'

Let's be honest and agree to disagree. An opinion is an opinion. She makes music and the songs are hits at this present time. Everyone here was drawn to the article because they were curious to know Lady Gaga's opinions/views on religion. I suggest if you wish to write an essay comparing Lady Gaga to any other artist of any other decade, do it elsewhere. Is it not common sense that popular, hit producing artists are all DIFFERENT? Speaking of different, isn't it also common sense we all have different views on religion?

I would be surprised to see someone comment on the ARTICLE versus commenting on her, bashing her, bickering over religion etc etc...

June 9, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  16. onelinerix

also, she can have my disease any time she wants it

June 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm |
  17. Kay

Lady GaGa doesn't know anything about Catholicism. She just uses it to exploit her music. Notice, musicians who want to become popular like to disrespect Catholic symbols. They always pick on Catholic symbols.

June 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
  18. neil

She's so full of s***. It's like someone who says, oh I have a lot of friends that are black, and then says something offensive about black people. It's like people think they can offend churchgoers all they want if they said, oh I grew up in a Roman Catholic home. That new music video is intolerant, prejudice, moralizing and offensive.

June 9, 2010 at 11:17 am |
    • Kay

That is very true neil! Yes, her latest work is extremely disrespectful and NOT religious at all. Very evil if you ask me.

June 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  19. OmegaMann

She's a tool...

As Borat would say... "how much?"...

June 9, 2010 at 6:54 am |
  20. esp

The bar is set so low in music today,It doesn't take much to hurdle it !

June 9, 2010 at 6:38 am |