home
RSS
June 2nd, 2010

Lady Gaga on Catholicism

From the Editors: Larry King Live Senior Producer Nancy Baker was on site in London for Larry King's interview with Lady Gaga. She filed this report:

It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to meet a global sensation. I traveled to London this week for Larry King’s interview with superstar Lady Gaga.

Arranging this special one-on-one – part of our celebration of Larry’s 25th anniversary with CNN – was no easy task. Lady Gaga is in the midst of her sold-out world tour, The Monster’s Ball. To say her schedule is jam-packed is to understate the case.

Still, her team carved out the time. The venue was a designated room in the backstage area of the O2 Arena, where Lady Gaga would thrill (and I do mean THRILL!) her fans with a brilliant concert performance just hours later.

Right on time – to the minute – Lady Gaga walked in, accompanied by just three people.

“Hi everyone, I’m Gaga,” she introduced herself to our CNN crew – which was more than three times as large as her modest entourage. She then proceeded to shake hands with everybody. She could not have been more gracious.

I – and everybody else on the crew – had wondered what she was going to wear. She did not disappoint. Just the opposite. Lady Gaga paid a witty tribute to Larry by donning a white silk shirt and unique black suspenders. To add to the visual punch, Larry took his seat on our New York set sporting a black shirt and white suspenders! Was this study in sartorial opposites planned ahead of time? No. Absolutely not. It was serendipity. And it added a terrific touch to a unique show.

Lady Gaga was as candid as she was articulate throughout the interview. Her frankness extended to her very honest comments about growing up in the Roman Catholic Church.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science

« Previous entry
  1. mattymatt

I used to think she was a studio exec creation, K3$ha comes to mind, but go on Youtube, and find her acoustic live piano gigs. She is very talented, even if people don't care for the songs she writes. I think she has the talent to be another Madonna, but that doesn't mean she will be. Only time will prove that out ....

June 11, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  2. Rob

Does no one else have an issue with the senior producer for Larry King saying "It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to meet a global sensation." Really? Larry King has interviewed thousands of celebrities for decades. I'm sure she gets to meet much more influential and interesting people than Lady Gaga.

June 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
  3. Carl from Atlantic City

Media: please do me this favor, if you'd be so kind– don't waste precious and expensive air time asking crucial existential questions of the most vapid, shallow, plastic, empty-headed, flash-in-the-pan celebrities you can dig up. Alright? Is this not the least-coherent, ill-considered answer to a question about The Meaning of Life ever uttered on a news channel? Look, I won't ask the Dali Lama how to built a pop-career by being a cheap provocateur who constantly flashes his junk, if you promise to never, ever, ever again ask Lady Gaga about the nature of Truth and Faith. Do we have a deal?

June 11, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  4. Eric

This is really what is considered worthwhile information? She's just another brainless celeb being given a pulpit. I would invite her to stick to singing, and invite Larry to retire.

June 11, 2010 at 11:02 am |
  5. DEA

Way to go NVM........Lady Gaga, I think you are talented and you seem to be a nice person, however you really need to be catechized. It's not too late. Just ask yourself a question: How is your Catholic Faith (God), glorified in your music? Does your music draw people closer to God? No? Why not?

June 11, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  6. DEA

All of you young people don’t have a hint about religion or spirituality. Live and let live is your motto.
    Modernism and Relativism is the new faith today; just make up what fits your life style and toss the rest out the door. You do this and still call yourself Catholic or Protestant or spiritual etc etc. You make assumptions about God and teach others to do the same.
    If you claim to be a Catholic then strive to be the best you can by knowing your faith and practicing it, otherwise just leave and don’t call yourself a Catholic. Receiving the Sacraments of the Church doesn’t make your Catholic. What makes you Catholic is standing up for and really believing in your faith. The same goes for other religions; be the best you can, or don’t be at all. Heaven and Hell is our choice not Gods.

June 11, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  7. KRG

Lady Gaga is very talented and she can actually sing! People who bash her just do not get her because she is unique and different and does not play in their sandbox. I like her and so do my 60-year old parents. I hope she keeps making music.

June 11, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  8. NVM

Get off of the abuse thing. Catholics make no excuses for the abuse; it's a terrible thing. Catholics priests are not the only group of people who abused children. How about swimming and gymnastic teachers, other religous groups, aunts, uncles, mothers and fathers, school teachers. The list goes on and on. As compared to all the other groups in the world who have abused children, the Catholic Church has the lowest percentage. SO LAY OFF THE CHURCH!!!!!

June 11, 2010 at 9:25 am |
  9. The Lion

Religious or not, here is a fact you have to accept... she has already made music history. You can't deny it because this blog exist because of it. Also, don't even try to compare her to MJ, Elvis, Madonna, Cher or anyone else. She is different in her own special way. However, they all share one thing in common... the paranoid religious right wing considers then all servant of Satan.

Bad music? Try telling that to the many thousands that jump and grind on the dance floor to the beat of her music. Hey, I don't like bluegrass music at all but I must admit the fact that Rascal Flats is talented. Are they religious too? Who cares, it really has nothing to do with their music. Bottom line... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Therefore, music is in the ear of the listener.

Rock-on Lady Gaga. Elvis, MJ and the Beatles had their turn, now it's yours.

June 11, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  10. well there it is

Warhol would love this. Long live the Velvet Underground.

June 10, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  11. damon

Gaga Rocks! Elvis is dead! The Beatles died the day John died. And MJ can now RIP. I didn't think she would last, but then every other month I hear a new song on the radio and it is her. My daughter played a song for me a few weeks ago, Alejandro. I didn't like it at first, now I can't get it out of my head and I love it! Rock on Gaga!

June 10, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
  12. Saganhill

Just saying those two words; "Lady Gaga" makes me Laugh. Lady Gaga, sounds like a Crazy British lady from Monty Python.

I have heard her album, I see no telent there that could compare to Elvis, Beatles, Stones, etc...

June 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  13. Mike in Reston, VA

How nice.... I insult Michael Jackson and my comment gets deleted yet people can insult Gaga with impunity it is left online....

June 10, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
    • Gary

Mike remember its C.N.N. they consider it racists to insult a black child molester....

June 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  14. romansmk

Who is this person? I think I saw her once? Maybe, does she have some greatest hits album or something coming out? Nice shades. And yes, music does suck these days and has for a long time.

June 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
  15. PeterB

In terms of Lady Gaga's Billboard number ones, it depends on what chart you talking about. On the Hot 100, she has not had seven number ones. Those were spread over different charts, such as dance, pop radio and the pop top 100. No artist has yet to have seven number one songs on the Billboard Top 100 from a debut album, not even Gaga. And let's not forget she release the Fame and the Fame Monster, two different if (overlapping) album releases.

June 10, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  16. jack h.

oh yeah, i forgot. her music is total garbage. tripe covered in hype. but almost all music now a days is talentless garbage.

June 10, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  17. jack h.

she's a jew and most people know it. should have seen the hook nose she had before it was altered.

June 10, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  18. The Lion

Religious?
    Judge thine own self by this measure... Hatred thrives within the soul of the religious that lack true faith. – Rev. W. Wright

Christians?
    If you wish to separate the wheat from the tares, simply look for the true wheat which bends and flows with the wind. The tares are those that stand stiff and defiant to change. (Jesus was a carpenter, if he were a farmer he would have known that.)

Perhaps it is best simply to be spiritual. After all, religion has killed enough people over the centuries. We can not deny the proof that exist in history or the truth that surrounds us today. – Rev. W. Wright

Rock-on Gaga, may your music touch the hearts of those that have an ear, and calm the hearts of them that live in fear. As for the others... may they each find their perception of hell without dragging everyone else into it.

June 10, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  19. OmegaMann

'Lady'(boy) Blah Blah epitomizes what is wrong in the music biz...

June 10, 2010 at 5:08 am |
  20. A

Let's put fame, fortune and talent aside for a second. Regardless of what anyone believes, you can't knock someone for having faith in something.

June 10, 2010 at 1:34 am |