home
RSS
June 2nd, 2010

Lady Gaga on Catholicism

From the Editors: Larry King Live Senior Producer Nancy Baker was on site in London for Larry King's interview with Lady Gaga. She filed this report:

It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to meet a global sensation. I traveled to London this week for Larry King’s interview with superstar Lady Gaga.

Arranging this special one-on-one – part of our celebration of Larry’s 25th anniversary with CNN – was no easy task. Lady Gaga is in the midst of her sold-out world tour, The Monster’s Ball. To say her schedule is jam-packed is to understate the case.

Still, her team carved out the time. The venue was a designated room in the backstage area of the O2 Arena, where Lady Gaga would thrill (and I do mean THRILL!) her fans with a brilliant concert performance just hours later.

Right on time – to the minute – Lady Gaga walked in, accompanied by just three people.

“Hi everyone, I’m Gaga,” she introduced herself to our CNN crew – which was more than three times as large as her modest entourage. She then proceeded to shake hands with everybody. She could not have been more gracious.

I – and everybody else on the crew – had wondered what she was going to wear. She did not disappoint. Just the opposite. Lady Gaga paid a witty tribute to Larry by donning a white silk shirt and unique black suspenders. To add to the visual punch, Larry took his seat on our New York set sporting a black shirt and white suspenders! Was this study in sartorial opposites planned ahead of time? No. Absolutely not. It was serendipity. And it added a terrific touch to a unique show.

Lady Gaga was as candid as she was articulate throughout the interview. Her frankness extended to her very honest comments about growing up in the Roman Catholic Church.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science

« Previous entry
  1. Gil T

I must give Lady Gaga her due. I am not a fan but I have even called her by her stage name. I commend her simple, straightforward, articulate, unpretentiousness. I was pleasantly surprised but pleased to not hear the pop talk of avoidance through similitude, "like", "everything is God", etc. It is to her credit she acknowledges confusion. She is not unlike many a believer and that is certainly not a disgrace, just a matter of growing in faith. The article panders on her celebrity while she does not play to that at all in the video.

June 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  2. kevin

Lady Gaga know as much about Catholicism and religion as Barack Obama knows about oil spills

June 3, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  3. doctore0

Like the rest of us GaGa will end in a coffin/urn or something like that.. GAME OVER; No continue.

June 3, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
    • righteous-in-Christ

I hate to be the one breaking it to you, but the game only begins after one dies, yes, Satan's game...burn in hell! We have an everlasting life after the one we already have. Don't want to believe, okay, go ahead and believe what you want, you will find out after you experience the first death, which the death of the physical body, and after the 1st death, comes eternal death, in hell.

June 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  4. Danielle

Pop charts =/= Hot 100. Just saying.

June 3, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  5. GODSTIME FESTUS

Lady Gaga is a Damsel, Beautiful and outworldly presentable. her been religious is an addition to her career and that will make her to make heaven at last. dressing naked is madness. LADY GAGA THE LORD WILL ANNOUNCE YOU.

June 3, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  6. Chaz

I've noticed something about Lady GaGa's music, it spans generations.

I hear people from my boss, to kids, to even my 73 year old mother singing along to GaGa on the radio.

Lady GaGa will rule the world.

June 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  7. keyur

Who the heck cares whether she is religious or not! There are millions or rather billions of people who are more religious. Doing good is what counts. This is just a sheer waste of editorial space. You guys just put up anything to fill up the screen area. I love CNN and watch it everyday for real news/updates but shame on you to keep coming up with this kind of stupid articles. There is a crazy mentality of turning ordinary people into god like creatures. For god's sake stop this non sense and focus on the real issues!

June 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  8. Lord Kaka

Great Googly Moogly! And I thought she was noxious BEFORE she went on record as being, on top of everything, a hypocrite!
    Well, anything for some more media overexposure, eh, Stephie? Everyone else, please listen to actual musician, artist and decente human being Frank Zappa's "Catholic Girls" for further reference...

June 3, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  9. NWArthur

No GaGa, You will neither go to Heaven or hell. i love your openness when you said you are quite confused about religion. Have you ever study the bible. You must have put in earnest effort to become a star and you need to earnestly want to know God and the bible and that confusion will be taken away from you.
    Remember you have what it takes to make you know God and the bible: Prayer and the desire to Know. Hope God will help you take away tour doubts so that your eternal future could be secured.

June 3, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  10. Ashley

About what was being said about catholic priests doing this or that, has nothing to do with religion and only with the church. Gaga even said it herself that the church and religion is separated in a lot of cases. The moment there is a one world religion, thats the moment there's also a one world government, currency, etc.

It's just not really meant to work out that way. And as far as discrimination against one thing verses the other, every single religion has that, it just shows up in different categories. Everyone wants to look it all the big things, but sometimes the little things that are discriminatory can add up big time.

I do give Gaga credit though for speaking up that way. Just goes to show another person who is willing to believe in God, albeit she is confused.

June 3, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  11. CATOm

I thought the catholic church was against she-males like lady gaga. Is that an adams apple?

June 3, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  12. Free Bird

I wouldn't quite put Lady Gaga in the Beatles category but I do respect her business savvy and music for the enviorment of today's music business. As I see her in interviews see seems quite a lovely and charming person. As far as the Catholic Church. I constantly see the generalization of all priest being molesters. I went to Catholic schools all my life and never encountered what unfortunately some people have had to experience. Christianity teaches, forgiveness, tolerence, compassion and most of all LOVE. Unfortunately, human beings have twisted it and used it to their own liking through the years and continue to this day. Heck, the largest religion in the world today, their prophet was the original terrorist and an admitted pedophile. Their extremist followers believe killing another human being is okay and look favorably by god. Jesus never commanded anyone to kill people, flog women, decide your faith for you whether you like it or not, much less judge each other. He had the gall to ask you to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"...if mankind followed that teaching we would all be better off and benefit from that thought.

June 3, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  13. Nabin

I think CNN should care the difference between religious beliefs and global sensation first . Of course she is a good singer but there are lots of singers much better than GAGA.

June 3, 2010 at 6:42 am |
  14. Chrys

Holy Diver, are you mourning RJD?

June 3, 2010 at 6:16 am |
  15. Chrys

Bernie, that's the sort of thing our parents would have said about OUR music. "That's not music, that's just noise..." You guys who go on about the artistic merit of this or that artist really need to take a hard look at how subjective art is, and the history of pop...

June 3, 2010 at 6:15 am |
  16. Nia

ok i really don't care about her religious beliefs or lack of it. But what i do want to comment on is this whole thing about her being a global sensation. yeah she's popular but it doesn't be she's a great talent.

Michael Jackson is what you call a global sensation. Not lady gaga.

if you were to take away all of those ugly costumes and hair & make up she's be nothing. Because her vocal skills are on a average level.

I've heard better singers from American Idol finalists.

June 3, 2010 at 2:25 am |
    • Nabin

Of course I agree with you ..

June 3, 2010 at 6:44 am |
  17. Suzy

I don't know what's the big hype about Gaga, I really don't. Her music is average, back in the 80s or 90s she would have been a mediocre disco star with it, but apparently there's such a lack of talent in showbusiness now that she can be hyped up to this extent. It just shows what a sad state the music industry is in!

Gaga's latest song "Alejandro" sounds like an Ase of Base rip-off (a Swedish disco band in the 90s) and her image is a Madonna rip-off. She is overhyped and overrated.

June 3, 2010 at 1:35 am |
  18. Lara

Not everyone has to practice religion, I myself am religious and I do not practice it as often as others who are the same religion as I am.

June 3, 2010 at 1:19 am |
  19. JoJo

Hey there happy folks! There's a video of some Buddhist monks making a mandala on the front page if you're interested in a daily double of hate.

June 3, 2010 at 1:14 am |
  20. Raina

Why are people criticizing LGG? She is a good girl, like others have said she has had her faults like everyone else in the world, let’s face it no one is perfect and that’s no reason to hate and attack her just because she does not measure up to other people’s religious expectations, I’m not a huge fan of LGG but I would never be mad or hate her for what she does and who she is, and neither should anyone else. 🙂

June 3, 2010 at 1:11 am |