home
RSS
June 2nd, 2010

Lady Gaga on Catholicism

From the Editors: Larry King Live Senior Producer Nancy Baker was on site in London for Larry King's interview with Lady Gaga. She filed this report:

It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to meet a global sensation. I traveled to London this week for Larry King’s interview with superstar Lady Gaga.

Arranging this special one-on-one – part of our celebration of Larry’s 25th anniversary with CNN – was no easy task. Lady Gaga is in the midst of her sold-out world tour, The Monster’s Ball. To say her schedule is jam-packed is to understate the case.

Still, her team carved out the time. The venue was a designated room in the backstage area of the O2 Arena, where Lady Gaga would thrill (and I do mean THRILL!) her fans with a brilliant concert performance just hours later.

Right on time – to the minute – Lady Gaga walked in, accompanied by just three people.

“Hi everyone, I’m Gaga,” she introduced herself to our CNN crew – which was more than three times as large as her modest entourage. She then proceeded to shake hands with everybody. She could not have been more gracious.

I – and everybody else on the crew – had wondered what she was going to wear. She did not disappoint. Just the opposite. Lady Gaga paid a witty tribute to Larry by donning a white silk shirt and unique black suspenders. To add to the visual punch, Larry took his seat on our New York set sporting a black shirt and white suspenders! Was this study in sartorial opposites planned ahead of time? No. Absolutely not. It was serendipity. And it added a terrific touch to a unique show.

Lady Gaga was as candid as she was articulate throughout the interview. Her frankness extended to her very honest comments about growing up in the Roman Catholic Church.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture & Science

« Previous entry
  1. Mike

She sounded to me very much like Madonna, she even looked like her. Overall, like Madonna she's clearly not very well spoken, uneducated, her ideas on Religion are juvenile to say the least and she's not very well read. She's a great performer but so are many Rappers and they can't read or articulate a sentence. So if you want to take her views on religion seriously then you're an idiot! I mean the Catholic church is a nearly 2000 year old religion and if she's going to judge the religion like many of you idiots do based on whats happened as of late then my point has been made.

June 9, 2010 at 6:38 am |
  2. Johnny

i love christina so much more than gaga...

NOT!!!!!!!

i love gaga 🙂

June 9, 2010 at 1:48 am |
  3. Dan

I don't know what to believe when it comes to Lady Gaga. After all, I can't read her (can't read her) po-po-po-poker face.

June 9, 2010 at 12:19 am |
  4. Karen

If she stepped in a Church, she would probably catch on fire. Too bad this really doesn't happen, Damn. LOL

June 8, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  5. Erin (a fellow Catholic)

I respect "Lady Gaga" as a human being and an "artist". I respect that she claims to be "religious" and believe in Jesus, but is that enough to call yourself "Christian" or to say that you pray.
    Jesus himself says in Matthew 7:21-23 : "21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
    Unfortunately Lady Gaga and MANY other performers are horrible role models for morality and ethics, they use their catchy tunes to continue to corrupt our young people and youths. As much as I respect her as a person, she and MANY other celebs have become IDOLS and are acting like modern day Jezebels. Seducing people to commit fornication and worship idols.
    REPENT THEREFORE and GET SAVED from this TWISTED AND CROOKED GENERATION!
    After we die, we will ALL( including Lady Gaga) stand before the great white Judgement Throne of God- when all is said and done we will end up in one of 2 places: HEAVEN or Hell!
    Even Gaga herself wasn't for sure where she is going: HEAVEN or HELL. Only God himself knows that.

June 8, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
  6. Good For Her

Good for her to sticking to the core beliefs that made her the person she is today. So many of us lose our religion or question our faith as we get older and "wiser". I know because I am one of those people.

Good for her. I am not surprised or think it is a major story except that she is the biggest artist in the world right now.

You sure do not hear about faith from Spears, Montag, Hilton or any of the other jokes that are celebrities.

While I am not religious anymore I am happy she seems content in her beliefs and proud to be religious and a devout Catholic. I am not sure how anyone can be mad or angry at that. I guess there is just a bunch of jealousy and hate in this world and no matter what crosses the wire certain people will always be negative...yet they wonder why they are so miserable? 🙂

June 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm |
  7. UmHello

When I read all the hateful comments about religion and belief from people on this blog, it makes me sorry I have to share the planet with you. The same hate and judgement you're spewing is the exactly what the Islamic extremists felt as they flew planes into the world trade center. I just hope the next time your hate manifests itself, you actually learn from it and stop repeating history. IF you think you are spiritual and or religious, put down your hate and your judgement and just accept that people are and have always been different from one another and they will continue to be so. There are so many colors, in the world in fact more than we can see... and there are just as many perspectives, experiences and beliefs. Let Lady Gaga claim what she will about HER religion...she's not hurting, hating people, and judging people, nor wishing death or eternal damnation upon as several of you have. Grow up and learn to play in the same sandbox as the other kids!

June 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  8. jake the bum

right personal friend of the pope

June 8, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  9. Kris

Whether people call her a "Madonna rip-off", "unoriginal", "wierd" or whatever, Lady Gaga's music makes me want to get up and dance, and I can't say that about alot of artists these days. She writes her own music, and is a classically trained musician so no one can say she is not talented, though there is always a nimrod that will say that. She sings live too!!! Unlike Britney Spears who is most definitely ridiculous and manufactured, not to mention Britney sounds HORRIBLE live-which is why she lip syncs her concerts. Let's mention Rihanna too-she has limited talent, owns the most annoying song on the radio (Rude Boy) and people seem to pay more attention to her hair and legs than anything. I love Lady Gaga's 80's vibe too...any music that can be compared to what I grew up with, has my kudos.

June 8, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  10. Deb

Once again.......per Ghandi.....Christianity is a wonderful religion....if only those whoe believed it practiced what they preach.

June 8, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  11. elitesack

she sure doesnt seem to sing about or do the deeds of a so-called 'very religious' catholic or any type of christian for that matter. -– now everyone who has no valid argument against this because she sings about things directly contradicting the teaching of the bible in the new testiment, you will all say "Well at least she doesnt molest kids" Well guess what the priests that do that arent catholic either, just hijackers of it like terrorists are hijacking islam.

June 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  12. CATOm

Here is the Lady gogo nightly prayer:

Dear god please dont let anyone find out about my adams apple or that I tuck my sack back. Amen.

June 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
    • elitesack

i love you, lets hold hands

June 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  13. shauna r

@bernie is a dumba$$,,,, go EFF off talking about the special olympics... I have a special needs kid... dumb a$$

June 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  14. Jebus

In 10 years no one will know what the hell a Lady Gaga is/was.

June 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  15. freaksmeout

Without reading all the posts.....there is a big difference between being religious and Being a Christian. The delta is as great as a difference as being a Christian and being muslim.

June 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  16. Gary

I equate Lady Gaga with benny hinn,jimmy swaggart,osama bin ladin,Jim bakker,and all other very religious people...

June 8, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  17. Jane

Does anybody really give a rats ass what Lady gaga thinks???

June 8, 2010 at 8:59 am |
    • Gary

Jane Lady Gaga is a godess. You need to repent and bow down to her.

June 8, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  18. Michael

wow, now I can face the world equipped with the valuable information abut lady gaga's religious beliefs. even tho she's extremely confused and is religious but wants a new religion and thinks religion is bogus. leave it to cnn to inform the public about NEWS.

June 5, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  19. Day-Dub

Wow Lindsey! Looks like you might be the next Lady Gaga! Look at the drama you started!

June 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  20. jerry

a message to sam unless a man be born again he cannot enter the kindom of god good works and being a nice person meens didly squat you can be the nicest person and the best humanitarian and still bust hell wide open PLEASE ya you got it there buddy if you dont believe this is right than die and find out for yourself

June 4, 2010 at 7:03 am |