home
RSS
June 15th, 2010

Israel's Holocaust museum grapples with Holocaust diminishment

CNN's Izzy Lemberg sent this report on a major Holocaust conference in Jerusalem:

Yad Vashem, Israel’s main museum and research facility for preserving the memory of the Holocaust–including concentration camps like Auschwitz, above–devoted much of its annual conference on Monday to grappling with the challenges of Holocaust denial and diminishment.

“The time is moving ahead and on the one hand we are losing many of the survivors who are the driving force of many of the activities," Avner Shalev, the museum's chairman, told CNN. "But we have to look at the future with the absence of survivors."

"What is important is the context in which the teaching of the Holocaust is taking place: new anti-Semitism, new phenomenon of revisionism, trying to bring new different narratives to the Shoah (Holocaust) and all kinds of twisted comparisons," Shalev said. "This is the context that the teachers are struggling with right now.”

The conference drew 200 educators from 40 countries, along with philosophers, historians, human rights activists, politicians, ambassadors, and directors of various government ministries.

In one conference workshop, participants concluded that outright Holocaust denial is less of a serious threat because it is mostly confined to the extremist fringe and is not acceptable in polite society.

What worried the educators more are new attempts at what they called “diminishing the Holocaust" or “Holocaust inversion.” These refer to anti-Israel activists ascribing Nazi symbols like the swastika to Israel’s army and comparing the siege of Gaza to Auschwitz.

Israel’s Minister of Education Gideon Saar drew a line between current criticisms of Israel and anti-Semitism.

Other scholars expressed concern that the world was not applying the "never again" refrain that grew out of the Holocaust.

"The fact is that incitement to genocide is continuing," said Yehuda Bauer, considered Israel’s foremost Holocaust historian. "Things not the same, but in a way similar things are happening in Darfur, Congo and elsewhere."

Alain Finkielkraut, a prominent French philosopher, keynoted the event, arguing that “Post-Nazi Europe knows that neither culture nor progress is a safeguard against ferocity."

"It knows that modernity does not necessarily overcome cruelty," he said of Europe, "and that the most egregious evil is produced by a combination of unleashed violence and methodical, sophisticated and civilized coldness."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Holocaust • Israel • Judaism

« Previous entry
  1. Daniel in NJ

Simple, people care less about human atrocities over time. Just look at the indifference and at times anger when the topics of the attempted genocide of Native Americans and slavery of Africans in the New World are brought up in conversation. The descendants of both groups are continuously told to "get over it". It is sadly only a matter of time before the descendants of Holocaust survivors are told to "get over it."

June 16, 2010 at 10:09 am |
    • Wendy

And, Daniel, it sadly seems, from the posts, that this time is now for many people. As human beings, we should remember and decry atrocities - be they the Holocaust, the slaughter of the Armenians, slavery, the oppression and killing of the Irish, the slaughter of native populations, etc.

June 17, 2010 at 11:43 am |
    • CzarcasticCynic

Daniel,
      You see – I am of two minds on the "Get over it" aspect. Yes – I acknowledge that bad things may have happened tovarious ancestors; and that it is part of history. Such crimes should be remembered, and prevented in the future.

But, to be brutally honest – another part of me says it is only history – and it is not my problem. What I don't like is various groups using old history as excuses for their actions now; or somehow indicating that *I* have any responsibility for their current situation.

My father on one side, and my grandparents on the other – immigrated to the US in the 20th century, with little more than the thoughts in their heads and the shirts on their backs. They were not rich, or powerful – they were essentially peasants with the American dream.

When they came here – they realized that – unlike their previous country – they COULD rise to whatever level they worked to. So they worked hard, studied hard, learned English as fast as possible; and in all cases, carved a better life for themselves and their children.

My father learned English in less than a year and forced himself through high school in less than three; just so he could get a job that was not menial labor. He went went to a local college on an academic scholarship – and graduated with honors. That opened up career paths he never would have recieved otherwise. While he was not welathy – he certainly advanced farther and faster than he ever could have otherwise. He instilled those virtues into his children – in school we all studied hard, and worked hard – and most of us got into colleges with academic scholarships. Now I have a well paying job, a family of my own, and house that is mostly paid off.

(A side note – Jews were NOT the only people killed by the Nazi ethinic cleansing. The Romany (Gypsies) were even more devastated percentage wise; and Slavs were killed just as easily by the Nazis – many of them shot on the Eastern front for no better reason than having winter clothing in the winter of 1941. My father would know – he and his family were in one of the Nazi work camps, and he remembers it quite clearly...)

The lesson my father taught all of us children? It is yourACTIONS – not your history – that defines you.

THAT is where I find fault with the Isreali government. While I deplore the actions of terrorists, I find that BOTH sides paint each other with far too broad a brush; and BOTH sides take actions that are regrettable.

Bulldozing entire refugee "camps" because some rockets were fired from there seems a bit excessive. Not everyone there is a terrorist – so destroying all their belongings does nothing more then generate more hatred....

While I will not compare the Isrealis with Nazis; I also can not condone their actions – even in self defense.

June 17, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  2. Mike in NJ

Yessss, Goood, Embrace your hatred, "...and your journey to the dark side will be complete!" – Emperor Palpatine

(Oh yeah, what happened to that guy?) Amazing what a break with reality will do for a person.

June 16, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  3. Josef

Where were the jews slaves, please don't tell me Eygpt, history tells a different tale there., then the myths of the old testament. How come thet didn't know who was in charge og Eygpy while they were so called 'slaves" , please. Atrocities , how about the jews complete distruction of the Cainites? Doesn't make what happened in Germany any less horrible, but jews keep pointing fingers while forgoting all the evil they've done to their nieghbors.

June 16, 2010 at 8:51 am |
    • Michael

The evidence for the Exodus is amazingly clear and rock solid – if you look for it. But somehow, I don't think you are interested in the truth. You are only interested in hating Israel in favor of pandering to islamic radicals.

June 16, 2010 at 9:17 am |
    • Mike in NJ

It does seem that hate is always the easiest answer. Much easier than learning the truth. Wait – Josef is denying that the bible is factual in one instance, then using it to prove a point of fact in another? Nice, Josef. You are truly on the way to a PhD. in Religous and/or Republican Logic. Say Hi to Ms. Palin for all of us!

June 16, 2010 at 9:27 am |
    • Fuyuko

Lots of races were slaves in Egypt. The Egyptians enslaved everyone and likely the jewish owned slaves too. That was life back then.

June 16, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  4. Jon

If you decide you want to ignore the Holocaust or call it a fabrication, that's fine. But if you do, don't yell and scream if you ever find yourself in camp someplace. And, ybs, what exactly do you mean about bending over and receiving the fruits of God's love. You need a good old fashioned ass whipping.

June 16, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  5. giz

get a clue, dude

June 16, 2010 at 7:09 am |
  6. ybs

Islam kids: blow yourself up & receive the fruits of 72 virgins
    Christian kids: bend over & receive the fruits of god's love

a tough choice! 🙂

June 16, 2010 at 6:46 am |
  7. Yoni

What is the problem. This is jews we are talking about. The denial is inevitable. The most effective way to accomplish this is to do what has been done with the middle east conflict. Start with the next generation. Make it a popular "debatable" event in college campuses. The sides will grow, people will want to identify with which ever one helps them get laid and meet a lover, or even 2 or 3 for that matter. Before you know it, the rest of the world is into it as well, cuz who really likes jews at the end of the day anyway? BAM it the jews against the entire world and 40%-50% of the US population –

From – the grandson of 4 auschwitz survivors – show me who's boss!!!!

June 16, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  8. PghMom

I am in my mid-40s. I have never met a Holocaust victim, but I can tell you that the Holocaust is very much a vivid part of history for me. Once I read The Diary of Anne Frank as a young girl, the Holocaust was rarely absent from my mindfulness. I am not Jewish, but it struck such a chord with me that it was somewhat overwhelming. Regardless, "never again" is and always will be etched upon my mind and heart. We can never forget the evil that holds sway in this world and has as its victims those for whom others will not stand up.

June 15, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  9. J

I am ashamed and embarrassed of the ignorant commentary here! The atrocities of the Holocaust should never be forgotten and should always be a lesson to everyone – stand up for those who are in danger, choose to speak out and make a positive difference in this world. Ask anyone who is Jewish and they will tell you that the Holocaust was not just about them, it was about horrible intolerance and cruelty to many people of many cultures, ethnicities and backgrounds.
    It was not just about killing a bunch of people, where do you think the Nuremberg Code of Ethics came from? There are many laws that protect people today which are a result of the Holocaust.

June 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Kevin Handy

My aunt and uncle are in their 80's, 40 years ago they were in their 20's – that means within the lifetime of someone I know there could have been participation in the events. My aunt years ago told me a rather horrifying story. I was talking about the growing controversy about the potential that Adolf Hitler had survived the war – this was in the early 1980's. It was possible at that time. She told me that when her husband, my uncle, was a guard at Spandau, while Speer and Hess were there, she had met several soldiers who had been in the sector where Hitler's bunker existed. She said one of them told her he had seen the burnt bodies of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun and several others in the courtyard, that he had seen them personally. So when you talk about this being ancient history – it isn't ancient if living people can remember it. Fewer and fewer exist now.

June 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
    • MathMatters

If your aunt and uncle are in thier 80's, then 40 years ago they were in their 40's – NOT 20's.

June 16, 2010 at 10:33 am |
    • KH

I think you mean, 60 years ago.
      No need to be bitter Mathmatters.

June 16, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  11. D

You all miss the point – the Holocaust was an atrocity, is an atrocity. But the fact that it happened at all – to anyone – is what is so terrible. That it should never happen again just doesn't mean to Jews – but to all the races and species of the Planet. People were herded up, stripped naked, shoved into gas chambers, killed en masse, had their gold fillings ripped out of their mouths, and were then cremated. Others were experimented on while live or dead.

The reason for this? Religion, and quite possibly methamphetamine abuse by that nut Hitler.

To prevent this insanity from every occurring again, we must remain ever vigilant, and jealously protect our natural and civil rights. In particular, the right to keep and bear arms, and free speech are essential.

June 15, 2010 at 9:54 pm |
    • Ronald Sullivan

Ah yes...Hitler the pious one! Claims that Hitlers motives were driven by religion are asinine. I'm sure you read a book that declared this but that does not make it true my misguided friend. With such a sensible opening statement, I expected better.

June 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
    • joecool1982

Uhhh... what religion are you talking about? Hitler was not into any religion that I am aware of. Hitler persectuted the clergy in Poland with a fervour. He wasn't religious.

June 17, 2010 at 12:08 am |
    • Lee

Religion played a big part in the holocaust. She's not refering to Hitler's religion (he was Catholic) but to the religion of his victims, mainly Jews.

June 18, 2010 at 2:24 am |
  12. Dee

Exactly Ian, this is mostly a straw man argument used by those who have none better.

June 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  13. K

Ultimately people do not care

Do people care about the Native Americans or the Armenian Holocaust?

In time people will care less and less and when there are very little Jews left on the planet I am sure they will build something over those Concentration Camps

June 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
    • Michael Wong

That's a good point; the native Americans were virtually exterminated by Europeans who now populate America and bristle at any attempt to teach this "politically correct" history in schools (they still treat Christopher Columbus as a hero and name a holiday after him despite his penchant for torturing and executing natives, including the deliberate disemboweling of pregnant women).

History is full of atrocities, and we should not forget any of them, but only the Jews have managed to turn theirs into a lasting tourist industry and political cause celebre.

June 16, 2010 at 9:43 am |
    • KH

@ Michael Wong,

Good point. Also don't forget what Mao did in China. The numbers of murdered people by his regime is estimated from 49 to 78 million people. People don't really seem to talk about that much either. Even more scary I've talked to young people from China that think he is like a "god". Probably because no one ever talks about or teaches what this man did to the people of China to these young people.

June 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  14. jimmi

History repeats itself unless you learn from mistakes (this requires knowledge of said mistakes)

June 15, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
  15. Alan

"Ancient history"? What is wrong with Noble9? I wouldn't consider something that occured in the 1940's as ancient history. History yes, ancient, definitely NOT. By Noble9's logic, black people should also stop discussing slavery since the physical act of selling slaves, etc is no longer occuring...except that his logic is flawed...Jews still are "victims" of stereotyping, blacks still are the victims of racial injustices, etc. We're not shoving the Holocaust down people's throats, it's only those ignorant people who still try to deny that it occured. It's not a question of "holding on to anger" as Noble9 said, it's a matter of EDUCATING new generations so that they see how cruel people can be...to ALL walks of life that they may not agree with; Black, White, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Protestants, etc. Yes, the Holocaust is in the past, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.

June 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
    • Joey

Alan it may come as a surprise to you but black people by any measure do not have a monopoly on slavery. EVERY race throughout history have been subjected to slavery including Jews. So your analogy is inappropriate.

June 15, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
    • Mike in NJ

I don't think the responder ever claimed that black people were unique in their enslavement, so his analogy is wholly appropriate.

June 16, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  16. Reality

The horror of the Holocaust and the concentration camps will remain forever in the photos taken by the troops who liberated said camps. And the internet makes this visualization available 24/7 e.g. http://www.shamash.org/holocaust/photos/

June 15, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
    • Jeff B.

Sadly, Reality, you are wrong:
      Those liberators are dying off, and in the era of photoshop, it only takes one to claim that the photos are false, and the deniers descend like locusts.

June 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
    • Iconoclast

I agree with you regarding the soldiers perspective. My father served in the same infantry division as Obama's uncle (Patton's 3rd Army) and they most certainly did liberate a variety of concentration and slave labor camps. I have been very much aware of the holocaust since the age of four thanks to my father's experiences. Also, not only did we visit Dachau as a young family but I have been there as an adult as well. What might help in keeping and raising awareness of the atrocities committed by the Nazis is to not forget that approximately 12 million people died in these camps. While the jews were certainly the largest single group to suffer the Nazis also targeted Poles, Russians, Gypsies, political and religious dissidents, mentaly disabled, intelligencia, etc.,etc.. If I were on this council I would try to publicize all the people who suffered and discourage any notion that it was just the jews that were victims of Hitler's methodical hate.

June 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
    • Minty

My father was one of those concentration camp liberators. He was a foot soldier in France in WWII, fought the Nazis in direct combat in the trenches and was part of the D-11 landing at Normandy. And, he was a Jew, raised in Brooklyn by a Russian Jewish immigrant and single mother who fled to the US - and left her entire family behind in Russia - in order to escape the pogroms.

He is a true American hero, and he is now 86 years old. One of the last World War II combat veterans. When he came back from the war, he had to change his name to sound less Jewish, in order to get a job in advertising after he was finally able to leave the poverty of his childhood behind by attending college on the G.I. bill.

I only wish that those of you who are on this board spewing hatred had one ounce of his courage and love for this country.

June 19, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  17. Ian Thal

Seems to me that the only people who ever claim the Holocaust as a justification in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict are the so-called "anti-Zionists." I've certainly never heard an Israeli link the two.

June 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
    • Eric de Great

yeah, because they realize that acknowledging the similarities will make them massive hypocrites.

June 16, 2010 at 9:06 pm |
  18. Cassarit

Why not find some former 3rd ss guys and hire them as holocaust coordinators.

June 15, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  19. Alex

Darn thing wont let me post...

June 15, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  20. Noble9

Diminishment is normal with the passage of time. For most, the Holocaust is ancient history. Yes, it was one of the most horrific atrocities in human history, but these educators need to ask why they are teaching it. If it's part of a history lesson, then it's fine by me. But if it's to promote a sense of persecution amongst Jewish people, then it's a bad idea.

Righteous indignation leads to justification for committing all sorts of atrocities. And the perpetrators can, all the while, claim that they are the victims. Everyone and every group in human history has been victimized at one time or another...should we all hold on to that anger?

June 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
    • A Robertson

Well said.. I agree 100%

June 15, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
    • Carl

The murder of 6 million Jews has diminished in shock value over the last 60 years due to apathy.

But Russia and China lost a total of about 40 million in that war, including both civilians and soldiers (why it is "OK" for drafted soldiers to be killed, I have no idea). Those deaths were diminished by the rest of the world's apathy almost immediately for some reason. Jews don't like hearing the holocaust compared to lesser crimes, but how should a Russian feel, having lost 20 million people to both the Nazis and their own government's lack of respect for their lives, when the holocaust is referred to as the worst crime ever? Drag a Russian citizen out of his home and stick him in a military uniform, and nobody seems to care if he is thrown in front of enemy machine guns with virtually no weapons to fight back. But if you drag a German citizen out of their home and stick them in a prison uniform, it becomes a crime to throw him in front of machine guns? Fashion really is everything.

June 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
    • Daylon Brock

Have you ever looked into the eyes of a man (or woman) who has faded blue mumbers tattoed on their left forearm? I have. And I will never forget the feeling it left with me or the how I felt when an old veteran told me of what he saw when he entered Dachau as a young soldier.

June 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
    • Brian

We should not hold on to the anger, but we must remember these horrific events. To forget these events is dangerous. We must stand as witnesses for those who were murdered and for those who survived and will not be here to bear witness for much longer.

June 16, 2010 at 8:01 am |
    • Michael Wong

The Holocaust was a truly exceptional kind of evil, but it's been overused as an analogy by political pundits. For example, every time someone compares abortion clinics to the Holocaust, he is diminishing the Holocaust for the sake of advancing his political agenda. Every time Glenn Beck compares various liberal policies to Nazism (something he does so often that he has been accused of "Nazi Tourette's Syndrome"), he is diminishing the horrors of Nazism for the sake of his ratings.

June 16, 2010 at 9:41 am |
    • bluenote

@ Carl: Soldiers die. That, in essence, is their job, their call of duty. Nobody said it was going to be a picnic, being a soldier. The Jews did not have a choice, or a chance. They did not ask to be singled out. They did not do anything at all to deserve the treatment that they got from Hitler and his Nazi idiots. So, 20,000,000 soldiers dead is twenty million men who intentionally put their lives on the line, and ASKED for combat and trouble. Six million Jews did no such thing. There's your difference, and shame on you for needing it pointed out.

June 16, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
    • bluenote

@ Justin: You are, plain and simple, an idiot. It's kinda sad that you would buy into all the crap that anti Semites spew. Maybe try to understand why Israel takes the hardline stance that it does. They say "never again" for a reason, and people like YOU are that reason.

June 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
    • Justin B

By the way – I'm not saying Hamas is innocent in all this
      But killing 1000's as retaliation for killing 10 is NOT FAIR
      And it does not stop anything – all you have created is a 1000 more families who have now vowed to kill you.
      One day Israel will not have the US as a big brother anymore – I fear for Israel when that day comes.

June 16, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
    • Eve

@justin b: I'm glad your beautiful Jewish fiancee was smart enough to dump you stupid, ignorant ass. If you knew facts rather than buy into propaganda you would know that Israel has been trying to make peace and eagreed to withdraw from the West Bank, but the Palestinians (who didn't even exit prior to 1967 – before that they were Egyptians and Jordanians) don't want peace. They want a single state which would mean no Israel. And the peace loving Palestinians elected Hamas to represent them – the group who makes an art of blowing up buses and restaurants. Desperate people – that's a lot of hooey. Israel pulled out of Gaza but that was not good enough. The blockade exists to keep arms out of Gaza, but you're too stupid to know these things. You're an anti-Semite, but you're too stupid to know that either.

June 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
    • Justin B

@eve
      I'm not even going to argue with you because you have rock for brains.
      How do i know that – because you did not read what i just wrote – Hamas is not innocent but killing innocent women and children by dropping bombs on them is not the answer – it makes you just as bad as they are.

So sure – go ahead and continue on the path you're on – continue blockading and killing innocent people – only remember

PEOPLE HATE YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE ANTI-SEMITE

So yeah – go ahead and call everybody who hates Israel for killing innocent Palestinians anti-semit – after all it makes it easier for you to pull the trigger

And by the way – I left her my friend – because I did not want to convert – she begged me to stay.

June 16, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
    • Justin B

@eve said:
      "They want a single state which would mean no Israel. And the peace loving Palestinians elected Hamas to represent them – the group who makes an art of blowing up buses and restaurants. Desperate people – that's a lot of hooey"

First of all – Hamas got elected because unlike the PLO they run lots of humanitarian operations like clinics in Gaza – IN ADDITION to executing bombings – so in the eyes of the Palestinians they were freedom fighters who also helped them by setting up rudimentary humanitarian businesses – unlike the PLO that took all the World AID money for their own personal use – THAT @eve is the reason they got elected – you call them terrorists – Palestians call them freedom fighters 'cos after all how can a terrorist with a stone and a homemade bomb fight against tankers, f-16s, state of the art bombers and nuclear weapons – yeah @eve that poor Palestinian kidd holding the stone is the terrorist (by the way – isn't it ironic that David was the one using stones to fight Goliath) I think the Palestinians with only stones to fight is now David and Israel with their nuclear weapons, bombers, tankers, $$ is now Goliath (comeon @eve even you have to agree that is a correct analogy)

Secondly – even if you are right @eve then you are essentially giving me the reason why it's ok to bomb and blockade Gaza – ok tell me this – does the mother who DID NOT VOTE FOR Hamas during elections AND the kid who was born yesterday have any right to life? According to you NO – that @eve – is why you are a nazi – and I'll keep calling you that till you realize that the hunted (yes the holocaust was real and attrocious) has now become the hunter – the persecuted is now the nazi

June 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
    • Eric de Great

Justin, you are right on the money.

Eve, i remember you from msnbc.com. looking forward to destroying your weak arguments here too.

Just as I say elsewhere: being against israeli occupation and brutality does not make us anti-semites.

June 16, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
    • joecool1982

Bluenote – You say "20,000,000 soldiers dead is twenty million men who intentionally put their lives on the line, and ASKED for combat and trouble". Your an idiot. I had relatives in the German army who were absolutely not "ASKED" for combat and trouble. Towards the end of the war, very young children and old men were drafted into the German army. You really thnk they ASKED for it?

As far as atrocities go, I don't distinguish between race and say that some atrocities are worse then others. 6 million Jews, 20 million Ukrainians, 2 million Cambodians... all tragedies.

June 17, 2010 at 12:04 am |
    • Ruth

Carl, the difference is planned massacre. I suggest you read up on The Holocaust. If it doesn'thorrify you, you might want to check if you are huma. That's the real problem these days. No one takes the time to find out what really happened.

June 17, 2010 at 10:41 am |
    • civiloutside

For some reason humanity as a whole seems to have come to the conclusion that warfare is somehow an "acceptable" means of killing folks. So we regard the soldiers who die in warfare as "casualties of war" rather than "the victims of the 20 million counts of conspiracy to commit murder that the head of the aggressor nation ought to be charged with."

June 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
    • zaza

Forgetting any holocaust event doesn't help the human race but we should remember them all, not just the Jewish holocaust, and how far back into history to we want to go, did not the Jews holocaust the Cananites and celebrate it to this day.

June 19, 2010 at 9:54 am |
    • Snowfilly

the holocaust must be remembered and taught and shown as an example of war and genocide in the utmost hope that it never does happen again. Sadly it is a sad comparison to what is happening today. Is Rwanda to just get over the genocide and systematic massacre of almost a million of its people? Should Armenia just get over the torture and murder of their people at the hands of the Turks because it is "ancient history"? And how about what is happening today in Sudan, Congo etc?
      Until the world leaders take a stand and mark these events, past and present, as categorically unacceptable, the genocides will continue. And in that regard, the UN should be completely overhauled.

June 19, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
    • George

The Nazi Military dictatorship did indeed kill many more people than Jews. Stalin, and Mao, killed and tortured too. I think we should never forget the capacity for dictators to kill innocent people. Nor must we forget that there is nothing more horrible than when dictators add a religious twist to tyranny. As long as there are dictators running nations there is the risk of genocide. Let us not forget that millions died in military service to stop this butchery. Jews owe it to themselves, and the world, to constantly remind us all of the capacity of modern man to do evil. Hitler told the world what he was going to do and the world refused to believe him. The leftist lied for decades and the world chose to believe them. Political correctness allows these monsters to exist. It is not about religion is is always about political power and money.

June 20, 2010 at 7:15 am |