home
RSS
June 24th, 2010

Reconciling homosexuality and Christianity

Gary Spino, left, and Tony Brown, right

Editor's Note: Tony Brown and his partner Gary Spino are featured in the upcoming CNN In America documentary "Gary and Tony Have a Baby," airing on CNN 8 p.m. ET Thursday.  Tony Brown submitted this blog post on the importance of his Christian faith:

By Tony Brown, Special to CNN

As a child I was taught to believe in myself, in family and in God.  To a confused adolescent struggling with his sexuality, that was easier said than done.

Being the victim of constant and severe bullying due to my perceived sexuality, I developed a strong aversion to organized religion. After all, every religious voice I heard in my youth - whether it was from the pulpit or in the news - told me that I was evil and that there was something wrong with me.

My heart said otherwise. As I later learned, so did God.

After feeling uncomfortable with my Methodist upbringing, I searched for meaning in a Christian organization called Young Life. We met once a week during my high school years and I thought that I had found a way to love God and have friends that accepted me at the same time.

But I wasn’t honest with them. Perhaps if I had told them that I was gay they would have accepted me, but I doubt it.  The rhetoric was clear:  if you weren’t heterosexual, you weren’t welcome.

So I hid my truth until it became impossible to hide anymore. Love is an amazing thing. When I met my husband Gary, I finally accepted that there wasn’t anything wrong with me all along. As a matter of fact, God wanted me to be happy and to accept love into my life.

What an awesome realization that was. For once I could simply be… No more pretenses or fear…

I was able to love myself, and in doing so, I found a path to back to my own spirituality, which had been dormant and rejected for so long.

That  rejection was the terrible result of certain organized religions’ misunderstanding of gay people.  And not just the exclusion that gay people often feel toward religion, but the rejection that their family members fell as well.

It cannot be easy for a mother or father who loves their child and their church to be torn every Sunday by sermons or homilies railing against the inherent value of his or her own family member.

We experienced this unfortunate dichotomy with my husband’s parent’s Catholic Church in Pennsylvania when they announced their support for an anti-marriage amendment to the state’s constitution. Gary’s mom and dad have always loved and respected my relationship with their son, but the conflict was there, and it was painful.

The good news for Gary and me was that we found a congregation that honored our family. Our first visit to The Fourth Universalist Society, a Unitarian Universalist congregation on the Upper West Side of Manhattan was remarkable. Our minister, Rosemary, said a prayer of thanks for the Connecticut Supreme Court’s recent decision to stand up for marriage equality.

Gary and I looked at each other and cried:  we had never before been in a church that prayed for our equality.

We were home.

As a parent, I realize the value of community, which is taught so beautifully in many churches. Gary’s parents’ Catholic Church - their stance on marriage aside - is a prime example of just how successful community outreach can be. Gary grew up with a deep sense of pride in community and he will pass that knowledge and appreciation onto our son, Nicholas.

Our own church has many community outreach programs, including outreach to homeless gay youth, an often-overlooked population that needs community more than anyone I can imagine.

Whatever God means to you, however you define or choose not to define it, having a sense of spirit in your life, I believe, is essential.

I know that when I was without it, I was truly lost. When I found it again, my life took on a richer meaning that I hope and pray my husband and I will successfully be able to pass on to Nicholas.

As for those who do not understand my family, or perhaps have heard from their own religious leaders that my family is somehow threatening to their peaceful way of life, I hope that they will learn something from our story.

As my husband Gary says, people are far more similar than we are different. I believe that more and more every day.

We have since baptized Nicholas at The Fourth Universalist Society in the presence of a couple hundred friends and family. What a beautiful moment it was when Rosemary touched a rose in purified water that had been collected from each and every church member, then touched the rose to Nicholas’ eyes for the things he would see, his lips for the words he would speak and his hands for the deeds he would do.

There wasn’t a dry eye in the house and in that moment, Gary, Nicholas and I learned what my mother and father tried to teach me when I was a child: believe in yourself, in your family and in God.

If you can do that, you can do anything.

- CNN.com Senior Producer

Filed under: Christianity • Gay marriage

1. Greg L

I do agree with HFS Most Divorces happen because two people want there own way and don't follow Gods direction.

June 24, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
  2. Gary

If it is normal, than why can't two men or two women conceive a child? Sorry it goes against the laws of nature.

June 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm |
  3. Clayton

Stop preaching your religious beliefs. I don't want that BS being imposed on me or anyone else who doesn't want it. For those of us who aren't religious or don't believe in your beliefs, we could absolutely care less what your book says. If you want to be ruled by religion so badly, there are many countries that rule with firm religious law. Freedom for everyone is a given right to all Americans, which should NOT be limited because of YOUR religious beliefs.

June 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  4. Steven

You cant be gay AND christian. I'm all for civil unions with full benefits but the fact still remains....gays and Christians do not mix.

June 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  5. Gary

First clue that you might not be living right is when you have to search for a 'Christian' church that will say your lifestyle is right with God. The First Church of Drug Users says doing drugs is okay, but that doesn't make it so.

June 24, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  6. Felipe

2 more souls that are going to hell for not listening to God's Holy Word the Bible. They shoudl repent and ask for forgivness pleaseee you still have time

June 24, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  7. Angie

Money is power, gays have the money to push their agendas.Money said that the gay lifestyle is not a choice, money says that gay marriage is ok, now money is pushing gay families and saying that it is normal.Eventually,everyone will accept what they are saying because the gays don't give up on their causes,we should learn from them, you believe in something,fight for it. Everyone is going to have to answer to God for their actions.

June 24, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
    • CHRISEZ

@Angie & Felipe But since there is no God, who will we answer to? A wisp of smoke? A mosquito? Betty White?

June 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
    • jesuschrist

Who? Your God is going to decide what is going to happen to me when I don't even believe in your God. Good luck with reasoning.

June 27, 2010 at 2:16 am |
  8. BC659

I am a Catholic Parochial School Survivor so I know religion can screw up your head. That's why so many overtly religious crazies like to quote the Bible. They like to twist quotations to build an argument. Thank God gay people are making more and more social progress. I used to hate my gay older brother because "God told me to." Now I know that I was wrong.

June 24, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ BC659 – Satan is the one who was telling you to hate your brother for being gay. God is the one that touched your very heart to love him. As a Catholic, you should have known better than to have tried to hate your brother for being gay. Catholic as many other religions are very weak and doesn't strengthen anyone to stand up for what one should believe in, and that is the Word of God. I am glad to see that you have accepted your brother for who he is, a loving person. But being a loving person doesn't make it right to be gay. Even a straight person doesn't have an excuse to keep sinning, such as killing, stealing, lying, and destroying. One can't accept a sin over another one that appears to be okay, which it's not.

June 24, 2010 at 7:59 pm |
    • Curtis D.

BC659...My brother is gay...married and they both adopted his partners grand son...I love my brother...I always have...I would fight for him to the death...having said that...my brother is wrong for what he chose to become...and he knows I highly disaprove of his actions...and I tell him every time we talk on the phone...but we always end our conversation with..I love you bro...and we mean it.

June 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
    • sjenner

I love the way people confuse a conscious, malicious act with a biological compulsion/orientation. Stealing, cheating, lying, murdering, raping etc. are choices, not biological imperatives; i.e., I don't have to do these things, but I want to. Being gay, conversely, is entirely different. It is as deeply rooted a biological imperative as being straight or breathing for that matter. Further, a gay orientation hurts no one. It's two people of the same gender consenting to a relationship. Stealing, cheating, lying, murdering, raping etc. are not consensual: they are wrongful acts imposed upon another, unwillingly. Before you run around accusing your brother of this and that, think for just a minute about what you're analogizing him to–the worst humanity has to offer. Your flawed reasoning is more indicative of your shortcomings logically and morally than his supposed misdeeds. BC659's got it right. Try a little understanding and love than harsh bible verses taken horribly out of context.

June 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
    • Curtis D.

sjenner, non of the Bible versus that I state are taken out of context...I state and quote directly word for word without the benefit of your interpretations. Try to be a little well read...pick up the Bible and read it.

June 25, 2010 at 1:21 am |
    • Giovanna

@Curits I find your judgmental responses to others amusing since obviously you don't practice what you're preaching.

June 29, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  9. HeIsGod

America, America, awake out of your slumber; I will shake you, I will shake you with a shake that has never shaken you before.

You flaunted yourselves above the world; you flaunted yourselves above your neighbor and your neighbors: brother against brother, kingdom against kingdom, people against people, Christian against Christian in your ungodly attempt to self-glorify yourselves. Both in the church and throughout America your leaders religiously, politically and economically are vain, corrupt and amoral. You are fast losing the salt, the purity that has held you together; that has made you great, if not the greatest of all nations.

But, I will bring you down; like the wind brings down the tree, so I will bring you down.

You will not escape my wrath; for it is an expression of my love, my deep love that will do all it can to get your attention before my eternal wrath, to remove all those who do not and will not love thy neighbor, will fall.

Some say, many say, 'Oh, we will escape. It will not happen to us; for we are your elect; we are God's chosen.' But, I say, you have blinded yourselves with your own vanity. My elect are not the people, the church in America; but my elect are the people of the world that are called by my name and do my will on earth as it is done in heaven. Not people with a false tongue of divination of thy heart, but of divination of my will.

For you are a thankless, godless, amoral generation that has been raised by the philosophies of the heathen and I will challenge your philosophies till you hate me and my people. My people will not escape your wrath - the wrath of the world as some falsely teach; for only the world's wrath will open their eyes clearly to what I am saying so they are prepared to meet me.

June 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
    • HeIsGod

When will you learn that your evil deeds are provoking God to anger and when will you notice that disaster has become your very best friend for turning your back to God!!!

June 24, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  10. Loretta H

And most of you call yourselves "christian."? Not in my book. I think it's the word GAY that automatically shifts peoples thoughts to unspeakable things. We were all made in the image and likeness of God,male and female. If you ask most gay people if they chose to be this way their answer would almost always be no. This is not a choice for them. I believe this with all my heart. Why would you want to go through life being ridiculed by your friends,not accepted or understood by your family,knowing that if you find someone to spend your life with that your relationship would not be recognized by the state you live in(though some do and yeah for them)? I'm very proud to say that Gary and Tony are my friends. I've been 100% supportive of them and their desire to have a child of their very own. They are a compassionate,warm and loving couple to me and so many others. Nicholas is so blessed to have fathers who are instilling in him all the qualities that they have for all of us who love and support them. He is their first priority. They are now truly a family. So all you bible thumpers take the time and watch Gary and Tony Have a Baby tonight at 8pm. See their life before and after the birth of Nicholas. See that they are a family like any other. If you still have a problem after watching this then maybe you need to look at yourself and your so called christian life. Cause in my book......that's not how a christian acts.

June 24, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
    • jbbm

"Cause in my book......that's not how a christian acts."

That's the problem ... you are not reading 'The [whole] Book' ... just creating your own ... how then do we protect ourselves from creating a god in our own image?

June 24, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
    • Curtis D.

I do believe the Bible does mention..God let Lucifer smit Job...to test Job. Same as with Adam and Eve...they were tested...With Adam and Eve...God said..DO NOT...yet they did! While Gays..the Bible says DO NOT...yet they do...Who knows what God's plan is...the most logical conclusion is...a test? The Bible is very clear...DO NOT means DO NOT. If you believe in Christianity...then one should realize...the Bible IS the final word...regardless of gay...or not gay. Every Christian MUST follow the words of the Bible. It's not pick and choose...It's all or none. "know that you are the temple of God and the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If ANY man DEFILE the temple of God, Him shall God destroy for the temple of God is Holy and you are that temple."...1-Corinthians 3:16-17...

June 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
    • Alma

I wholeheartedly agree with you Loretta. If I were to believe like a lot of the hatred-based posts, or just misguided posts, I wouldn't have my aunt in my life. She is one of my most favorite people in the world and we love her and are strong as a religious family and as Mexican family; religion to our culture is innately tied to it and we couldn't have one without the other.

June 27, 2010 at 3:55 am |
  11. Peter Q. Wolfe

sjenner, I agree with you about some christians being cafeteria christians on picking what they subjectively approve of what is right or what is wrong. This is why I'm choosing catholicism where the power is in a bureaucratic system fit even if at times unable to live up to their own standards on moral and faith questions. Well, there are hypocritics in all religions and God holds them equally accountable. The circular reasoning you point out is that the parable in conjunction with ellaborated moral explainations is that the seed won't grow in a soul unwilling to have it grow inside of them. The Ten Commandments are as plain as day and anyone can go read about them at their discretion. They can just as equally disregard them and that is their choice.
    The funny thing is that I used to live in Las Vegas, NV and realize the people I hung around near the Nellis Air Force Base were atheist people probably with a progressive secular edge to them. These things don't just have short range but long range inplications for the future on sociology, psychology, history, political science, religion and etc in our society not only to us but the rest of the world. There are nevertheless somethings I disagree of like the death penalty, illegalization of marijuana especially medical, punative harsh sentences on first time offenders (various issues), Arizona's 4th destroyer, Patriot Act violations, torture treatment, and international trade agreement in the Doha Rounds against the third world. There are still many things like universal health care whether public, private or nonprofit regardless of the persons merit should be introduced and maintain in order. The Bible also states to take care of the sick, feed the hungry, cloth the naked and housing the homeless are essential christian values we should all regardless of condition should uniformly agree on even if the people in question don't deserve the services in question. All of this is compounded by churches are going further right alienating those looking to find answers to political decisions, yet want to be religious and the churches are like socialism, etc are evil. Well, do you have another proposal? I was called a atheist by a baptist preacher to my face when I asked him why don't we have universal health care in this nation? Well, it's your traditional cultural not religious point of view and Jesus wanted yu to know the government of the olden years was the Roman Empire and you still can serve him as seen by the Apostle Matthew being chosen in the first place. Things aren't so black and white at first glance as some would have us to believe about church and state either and I think myself eventually even Europe will conceed this point when te 1984 Big Brother mentality vanishes from their midst. I still have some disagreements about christians like other organizations of thought but I respect them for their stance on the abortion and gay marriage issues.

June 24, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
    • sjenner

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.Just to be clear, I am a Christian and a Catholic. And I agree with many (although certainly not all) of your points regarding the necessity of Christian charity and other, positive aspects of orthodox Christian faith. It is this very core message and call of Christ that has become subsumed beneath the harsh and frankly hateful speech pouring out of the Vatican over the past few years. I can't respect every opinion that issues forth from the throne of St. Peter (the Church was wrong, for example, about Galileo and a heliocentric solar system–it's wrong about the issue of homosexuality too). Benedict XVI in particular has saved some of his harshest rhetoric for people who are gay. He has described gays as intrinsically and gravely disordered, and as manifesting a strongly tendency towards an intrinsic moral evil. He has even branded homosexuality as the destruction of God's creation, and has attempted to justify hateful and violent attacks on gays as a natural outcome of attempts to condone homosexual activity "to which no one has a conceivable right" (as though homosexual activity between consenting adults could ever justify a lynch mob). Senior cardinals have further described homosexuality as a cause pedophilia (which it most certainly is not) and as an insult to God, while homosexuals themselves have been called deviants who will never enter the kingdom of heaven. These statements, all drawn directly from comments openly made to the media, bespeak of a mindset far removed from the love of God. The Church has become obsessed with homosexuals and has turned them into an easy scapegoat for all of its own ills and what it perceives as the ills of society. I suppose since Jews are off the menu the Church had to find someone else. In the process, it has blithely ignored the fact that gays like everyone else are human beings created in the image of God. No one is guaranteed heaven or hell. But apparently the senior clergy of the Church think some people are born more likely to go to hell than others. That's a conclusion that defies the Church's own doctrine and destroys God's love. That I can't and won't respect.

June 24, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  12. From a Baptist with Love

Interestingly, I believe that all that is required to be a Christian is to accept that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior. Although I do not know His plan, I try to listen and be led by the Holy Spirit. Looking back, there have been many instances where my life did not make sense at the time but I later find that the situation has worked out eerily well simply because I just try to follow Him. Who am I to know what is God's plan for anyone else, especially since I just barely keep up with His plan for my own life?
    I was confronted today by someone who considers herself a Christian yet thinks that gay people choose the lifestyle because of a traumatic life experience. While I believe that God makes people exactly like they are for a reason, I did not know how to respond to this and did nothing. I would like to apologize to all of the people out there who are hurt by such ways of thinking for I did nothing to help. To all of the Todds and Garys of the world: Follow the Lord's Will for your life, whatever that may be. I will be more courageous next time and will stick up for you. Promise.

June 24, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
    • gg

wow, thank you. almost made me cry.

June 24, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
    • HeIsGod

God doesn't make anyone gay. He created Adam and Eve, both male and female. Christians needs to stop saying that there is nothing wrong being gay or that God will only judge them!!! The truth of the matter is, God doesn't want to judge anyone for any sin because He wishes that all come to repentance and pass from death unto life through His son Jesus Christ. Now, you don't have to know the plan that God may have for others, but in His plan, we, His children, should know that His plan is for us to bring those who are lost to Christ. JOHN 3:16 – FOR GOD SO "LOVED" THE WORLD, THAT HE GAVE THIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM SHALL NOT "PERISH", BUT HAVE EVERLASTING "LIFE".

June 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
  13. Dan

Gay and religious. Two Strikes.

June 24, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
    • Curtis D.

Oh and did I mention, there is one book that predates all written books on this planet. It's affectionately called the book of Angels. Written by the great grandfather of Noah....the book of Enoch... parts of it can be found in the Bible..as a whole..it was omitted from the Bible around 500 AD...by the Catholic hierarchy . Enoch was the 7th of Adam....predates the people of China...yeah...that far back.

June 24, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  14. Curtis D.

Just to be clear about a comment made...the The Iliad date range is 1194-1184 BC while the Torah was written by Moses between 1446 BC and 1406 BC. While this view is still held by conservative Christians and Jews, modern scholars agree that the whole of the Torah was composed in the mid-1st millennium BC as a "prequel" to the prophetic books (books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings). 252 years before the Iliad. And, let's not forget about the 10 commandments that predate Torah by 67 years...1513 BC.

June 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
    • Dan

You need to get a life.

June 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  15. Two Gay Men

I was fortunate to never think about what gay was, until confronted with it when I was 19, was I interested he asked. A very pressured request. I asked "How" and then my mind was opened to the "one of you has to go up a dirt road or one has to mouth a load..."
    Not interested. Still not. I do like women.
    Me asking does not make you mad? Some guy would want to kick my butt for what I just asked.
    Nah, you might like that. just go away. you have your answer.
    It not the others being gay that has always concerned me. Its the yearning for more and the need to recruit those who are not gay into it, that concerns me. Why is it so important to recruit more to be gay. Feeling alone, or are prospect dwindling unless the recruitment is full pitch?

June 24, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
    • geekgirl

Assuming this actually happened, I'm sorry that you were subjected to this kind of predatory behavior, but this is not what being "gay" is. This was a man who was looking for an anonymous physical encounter. Most gay people do not do this kind of thing and let's not forget that there are lots of men who approach women in this way. A predator is a predator. Just because a male predator approached you doesn't mean that all gay people are predators. I have never tried to "recruit" anyone, and neither has anyone I know. This is the kind of thing that gets hyped to scare people into thinking we're all predatory and sick. It's just not true.

June 24, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
    • sjenner

geekgirl, on the money. This whole point assumes facts not in evidence; i.e., that gays feel this compulsion to recruit. They don't. Gays will comprise approximately 4% of the population, period. It's genetic. Not a conversion tactic.

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  16. sjenner

I find the so-called "literalists" to be quite interesting. They throw around Biblical verses with abandon and usually totally isolated from context, under the guise of the verse supporting this or that position. But they then ignore the rules that would apply to them and crimp their lifestyles, for whatever excuse may be given–the most popular of which is some form of "Jesus fulfilled that covenant, so I don't have to do this or that thing Leviticus etc. tells me to do." That's called circular reasoning, and is merely aimed at reinforcing unexamined and logically unsupportable opinion. The Bible says a lot of things in isolation. But what's the point being made? So often it is the bigger, second question that gets ignored.

June 24, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
    • Curtis D.

I pray that some day that veil of deception will be lifted from your eyes, yes..I pray for you. God bless

June 25, 2010 at 2:54 am |
  17. Peter Q. Wolfe

Coming from a previous atheist to a precatholic prospective, the Bible clearly states that you can only serve one God right? Well, I don't support this measure but will throw it out there for comprimise. Then, why not have a civil union not marriage? It shows that churches in the United States don't approve of it and yet they retain the rights they want. It's shoving some agenda like destroying gender rolls, encouraging anti-norms, railing against religion (e.g. christianity), increasing AIDS/HIV(probably more than others), etc. What benefit as a whole other than a secular supposed progressive benefit would this be to our nation? A nation without principles is a nation that will crumble. The mistake from the get go is that you can actually separate church and state, which cannot be done. As far as the abortion comment above, it's state sanctioned murder and us christians are obligated to defend the defenseless meaning the infant. How do you guys not understand that this is not a reproductive rights issue rather a human rights violation on the part of the child? You guys are sick man and I do decry some democrat views like universal health care, anti-war mongering, regulations and other things but not something so horrid as this unatural secular opinion is pushing on the main stream to accept not question

June 24, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
    • Curtis D.

Nicely said...My view with the child is that he will be brought up in the guise of Christianity...a false sense of Christian morals. I don't belong to any church as I think most are corrupt and "interpret" the Bible to fit the modern world. The Bible reads as is...that's how I see it....read it...live it...as is.

June 24, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  18. KB

All of these misconceptions are disconcerting.

First, God loves all of us. Big sinner or bigger, you've never done anything that would deprive you of the opportunity to receive God's love. He hates all sin and wants to rescue us from our sin. At the moment of belief, we are saved from paying for our sins in eternity (although there may still be eathly consequences). It is through a process called sanctification, which starts with our decision to believe in Christ, whereby we alllow the Holy Spirit to grow our character to become more Christ-like and obedient to God's truth. It does not happen before belief. Once you do believe, your life starts to conform to Christ-like virtues. If you choose not to believe, you come up with your own rules and conduct your life accordingly. That's for each person to choose, but not for us to judge.

None of us can know what is in the author's heart, it is between him and God. As Christians, we are called to love him, regardless of his beliefs. If he is not a believer, we are only to share the good news with him. If he chooses not to believe, and to live life on his own terms, that is his decision to make. It is not our place to judge the non-believer, that's God's job. If he is a believer, we should lovingly provide guidance and support in the Word. We all have sins that have a stronger hold on us – the author included. Before we pound people with the Truth – let's make sure they know the love of God first.

June 24, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
    • Curtis D.

KB...that is true...how ever there is more to the word of God's love then just love...and that's His message of fear me if you sin...It would not be Judging to simply point out the obvious sins and hope to try and get that point across to the sinner and again, hopefully try to get them to see the light...God is a loving God...true enough...but he is also a vengeful God. No one want's to see a soul spend a 1,000 years in hell for every sin...and no one want's to see any one commit the worst sin that is totally unforgivable...so having said that...It's our duty as Christians to help teach those who profess to be Christians. Just preaching about love and God forgives all is NOT the way to go...Because of versus like Hebrews 10:26. It's ok to fall...but it's not ok to stay down. Some things are just wrong and need to be spoken against.

June 24, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  19. Curtis D.

looks as tho CNN is censoring free speech...what? OMG the very people who fight for it and are the first to complain about it when they get censored

June 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  20. frenchbuggerer

It's nice that CNN can find time to report on the BJ boys romping in bed with each other nightly, but we really have more important things like bowel movements to talk about.

June 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm |