home
RSS
June 29th, 2010

My Take: Why Christians are jerks online

Editor's Note: Jonathan Acuff writes the blog www.stuffchristianslike.net and recently released the book "Stuff Christians Like." In addition to commenting on Christian culture, he’s also written branding for clients such as The Home Depot, Bose, Chick-fil-A and AutoTrader.com. He lives outside of Atlanta with his wife and two young daughters. Follow him on Twitter @prodigaljohn.

By Jonathan Acuff, Special to CNN

Bono is a born again Christian.

Or he’s not.

It’s one of those two. I’m just not sure which, but I am certain that the faith of U2 is something we Christians like to argue about. That and beer. You never know if your small group is populated with prohibitionists. You have to say things like, "Is there anything you need me to bring to the dinner party, anything at all?" Then if they say, "Sure, how about a bottle of wine?" you’re good.

U2, beer, our favorite pastor’s kid-gone-wild Katy Perry: these are usually the topics I write about on www.stuffchristianslike.net. (Which is indeed a direct rip off of the site www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com.) But today I thought I might deal with something with a little sharper teeth. Something you don’t see addressed often, but you might have experienced.

Put simply, I want to talk about why sometimes we Christians are jerks online.

Much like "Christian hate mail," being a "Jerk Christian" defies logic. We serve a loving God. We follow a Christ who very plainly told us what to do. In Matthew 22 someone asks Jesus, "What is the most important commandment?" The answer is simple:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself." All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

There’s no confusion about that. No smoke monster. No mystical wisdom that must be found on a mountain peak after growing a ZZ Top-worthy beard. Someone asks Christ what matters and the second thing is "Loving your neighbor as yourself."

So then why are there so many hateful Christian blogs? Why do Christians write bitter messages on Twitter? Why do we send hate mail?

I think there are two reasons Christians are jerks online.

1. The business traveler approach.
  2. It’s unfortunately not that uncommon for business travelers to get in trouble when they’re on the road. With a "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" approach they tend to do things they would never do at home. "The rules don’t apply here. I’m a different person. This is 'road me,' not 'home me.'" I believe sometimes Christians approach the Internet the same way. The rules of "real life" don’t count. Sure, I have to love my neighbor, but are people on Facebook my neighbor? The Internet doesn’t "count." These are just words. Surely I can throw a missile of hate at someone on Twitter. And when we buy into this logic, we develop an unloving, anything goes, whatever happens online stays online mentality. We become two different people, "Offline Christian" and "Online Christian." And we become jerks.

3. Room Cleaning Christianity

Why do Christians argue about drinking beer or why the tankini is the least slutty of all bathing garments? I think it’s because we sometimes practice "Room Cleaning Christianity." Think of it like college. When you’ve got a final paper due Monday, you will be amazed at how energetic your desire is to clean your room. You will scrub tile with a slow toothbrush if it means avoiding the bigger, more difficult work of writing your paper. The same thing happens with Christianity. Loving your neighbor might be simple, but it’s not easy. Maybe my neighbor is a jerk too. Maybe they hate God. Maybe they are actively and violently opposed to everything I believe. And showing them grace feels impossible. So instead of dealing with that, we get online and police people. We find small things to focus on that will distract us. I think God wants us to discuss the little stuff, but we make it an idol when we practice room cleaning Christianity at the exclusion of love. And we tend to become jerks.

Hopefully you’ve never experienced either of these things. Hopefully this article feels like Amish Romance Fiction, currently a hit amongst Christians. But if it doesn’t, if you’ve been an online jerk, if you’ve acted like I have, there’s hope.

Jesus came for the mess-ups like us. Jesus came for the failures. Jesus came for the jerks. (That’s not in the King James version of the Bible, I remixed it like Timbaland.) And the truth is, grace is the antidote to being a jerk online.

So my hope is that you won’t prove my point in the comments section. My hope is you’ll accept my apology for the times I’ve been a jerk to you online.

My hope is that I’ll see Bono in heaven, or at the bare minimum "the Edge."

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jonathan Acuff.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Jesus • Opinion

soundoff (1,722 Responses)
  1. HeIsGod

@ LaJollaRich – Have you ever wondered why you will die – why every person of mankind dies – why the best brains in the world cannot find a cure for death? It is because death is a penalty placed upon every person of mankind by the true God – mankind's Creator and original King – as a result of the first man Adam (who served as the federal head and representative of all mankind before God) having disobeyed God's command or Moral Law (Genesis 2:16-17; Romans 6:23).
    Even corporeally innocent human babies die at every stage of human development. These have never had the chance to commit a personal sin, yet, God's death sentence is upon them. The reason is because of their union with the first man Adam, and him having acted as the federal head of all mankind. When Adam sinned, the infants sinned also (Romans 5:12-14).
    Atheists make the blasphemous statement that God is the greatest murderer – that He kills masses of people and innocent babies. Such a statement betrays the deep darkness, ignorance and deception which engulf the minds of the most so-called "educated" atheists in regard to the most important facts of life.
    It is astonishing to see that atheists entertain the deepest misconceptions, or deliberately produce the most blasphemous lies about something as serious as death. Their foolish reasoning’s demonstrate that their education has taught them nothing about the most important facts and principles of life. Which of the most elite secular universities (which are breeding grounds of atheism and non belief in God) has the proper understanding about why humans die? Not one of them. And it is the same in regards to every other fundamental principle of life.
    No person of mankind dies as a result of being murdered by God. All die as a result of having become death worthy criminals from having disobeyed God's law in the first man Adam. God carries out the sentence through whatever means He sees fit. There is no special way death worthy criminals must die. Death worthy criminals loses all rights to everything except death.

June 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
    • Surthurfurd

The problem with speaking to someone in this way is the assumption that you are innately right. It is more apt to come across as insulting or dismissive than it is supportive and persuasive. Maybe we need to be more in tune with the emotional and intellectual points of view of each other. We do learn more from common ground.

June 29, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ Surthurfurd – This isn't about what is my right, it isn't my truth, it is God's Truth, God's Right, nothing and no else matters. She said that our Christian God was mean, therefore, I replied to her comment. If you call our God evil, that is just disrespectful for us who Love God. If Atheist don't believe in God, so be it, live your life, and move on. Let us believe, lets us live for God, why do they have to bash God and His followers. When take a stand we are called hateful and among many other things that Atheist say. We use God to speak to them, most Atheist use harsh words!

June 29, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
    • LaJollaRich

I don't believe I 'die'. Your entire premise is flawed. You believe you die and can chose where you go after you so-called 'die'. Can't destroy energy. There is energy within all of us and it can not be destroyed. Therefore, I never die. The gift of life is eternal.

June 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ LaJollaRich – Hmmm, very interesting that you say that, I will never die, energy will never die. Where will you be after you physically die?
      "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." (Matthew 24:35).

In Deuteronomy 32:1, in the song of Moses, God is talking to Israel when He says: "Give ear, 0 ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, 0 earth, the words of my mouth"
      In the song of Moses, God is depicting the fate of Israel when He says: "For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains" (vs. 22).

June 29, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
    • Gary

Will my cat go to heaven? I am pretty sure it has a soul. Pretty sure it has no idea who jesus is. He is a good cat though. Never hurts anyone and is very loving and kind, but he has not been babtised not accepted god as his savior. The most arrogant part of any religion is the idea that this little itty bitty spec is the center of the universe. If there is a God I am pretty sure he doesn't know you even exist.... He is too busy working.

June 30, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  2. JUDI Powell

I'm sorry, but most of the so-called "christians" I know or have met are complete jerks off-line,too. (and I come from a long line of baptist , and my uncle is a Baptist preacher........

June 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  3. online christian

Good stuff. Online/offline christian; very true. Funny, my husband and I have had the U2 discussion. He and his mom often have their debates about beer too (mind you he only drinks 3 or 4 a year, not at once either). She says "It doesn't matter if it's not spelled out in scripture, it just isn't right." ANYWAY, I did think you missed one important reason us Christians can have a split personality. I think some of us who have given up our old selves long to let it out sometimes or sometimes it just happens because we aren't thinking about it when we should be (it's in our nature after all). Being a jerk online lets us do so without anybody knowing about it. Some are able to turn away from it, others choose not too. I've done it once or twice a few years ago, regretting it and hoping never do it again–in fact I can say, I won't. Christianity is not a claim of perfection, but a claim of imperfection–put that on a billboard. We screw up just like anyone else, but we're trying to stop. We know we won't be perfect, but we are trying to stop doing seflish or stupid things (at least we SHOULD be) and treat other people with respect and love, even online. We are learning to admit when we are wrong and ask for forgiveness. With that said, I too have been an online jerk, I messed up and ask for forgiveness.

June 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Dr. Anwar

More like Athiest are jerks

June 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
    • Surthurfurd

If this becomes a game of who is "worse" then we are all not getting any better.

June 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ Surthurfurd – I sure agree with you!!!

June 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
    • harley

more like there are less atheists and therefore less atheist jerks than religious jerks. of course, it's more glaring when Christians religious are jerks, since they claim to believe it's important to love people.

June 29, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  5. Surthurfurd

It is interesting how willing we are to choose a side and blindly attack the other.

June 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  6. A man after God's Heart

I have attached President Lincoln's proclamation: I believe it hold's true then and now. I am sure he is someone we all respect.

"We have grown in numbers, wealth and power, as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us! "

Done at the City of Washington, this thirtieth day of March, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States the eighty seventh.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

June 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
    • LaJollaRich

Is G-D your 'lord' or is jesus your 'lord'. Big difference.

June 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  7. LaJollaRich

The jewish community doesn't believe jesus is The Christ - they're still waiting for him and they wrote the 'good book'. That should be a huge hint right there.

So get off your high-horse and stop typing all that dribble.

June 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Oh, LaJollaRich, they believe in the very same God we do, God the Father Jehovah! Thew Jews think that Jesus Christ isn't the Messiah and was just a prophet. They are very wrong. If Jesus Christ was just a prophet, ask a Jew about this information. They live by the Old Testament and reject the New Testament.

There are many Old Testament prophecies about Jesus Christ. Some interpreters place the number of Messianic prophecies in the hundreds. The following are those that are considered the clearest and most important.

Regarding Jesus’ birth—Isaiah 7:14: “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.” Isaiah 9:6: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Micah 5:2: “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.”

Concerning Jesus' ministry and death—Zechariah 9:9: “Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.” Psalm 22:16-18: “Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.”

Likely the clearest prophecy about Jesus is the entire 53rd chapter of Isaiah. Isaiah 53:3-7 is especially unmistakable: “He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.”

June 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  8. HeIsGod

@ LaJollaRich – Come one now, this is a 2 way thing. You know better than to state that we are the only ones that bash Atheist! You do the same thing! Atheist think that because we proclaim God's Truth, not our truth, we are hating and sending many to hell. Well, rather you believe in hell or Heaven, we don't have a hell or a heaven to place you or anyone in. I have to chose where I want to spend my eternity, after I die. It is a personal choice for one to reject the gift of Salvation that God has given us through His Son, Jesus Christ, or we can accept it. Simply!

June 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
    • LaJollaRich

You believe you 'chose' where you go after death? Amazing.

June 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
    • BluJ

Not only does she chose where to go, she gets to chose who she sits next to on the way there. Most Jehovah's can. She even knows how many souls total the capacity of her final destination. Isn't that a laugh!!

June 30, 2010 at 2:22 am |
    • HeIsGod

@ LaJollaRich & BluJ – Yes, I chose where to spend eternity and so do you. BluJ, you always seem to make me laugh!!

John 3 16 – 20
      16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,f that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.g 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

June 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
  9. Surthurfurd

I am sorry you have felt harm by the actions of those who should know better. I have been attacked wildly also for my views. It hurts. It is wrong. What we need to do is consider all of us deserves respect and openly oppose any rude behavior no matter from what position the person believes they are coming from.

June 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
    • Captain Nemo

You are exactly right, in my opinion. Well said!

July 8, 2010 at 1:05 am |
  10. harley

i'm Christian and sorrowfully admit Christians have murdered too. get the log out of your eye.

June 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  11. HeIsGod

@ DAtheist – I agree that we do have these type of Christians. I am a Christians that also work with so-called Christians. What you have to realize is that when you come in contact with these type of people, please know that they are not representing Christ. Anyone can call themselves a Christians or a religious person, but not know God, intimately. Christians should always represent Christ outside the 4 walls of their Church, not inside of it.

June 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Katherine Bartley

this does not qualify as a new article, would someone please improve our media. (some of the comments were interesting, but not the article itself). God I'm sending you a prayer to remove the senseless babble from the internet.

June 29, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ Katherine – All we can do is stand, this is the work of the devil. God bless you and keep you in His perfect ways!

June 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  13. hayley

popular culture is popular because it is good. some idiot on Fox News said she needs to just accept that all the artists she likes hate conservatives. sort of sums it up. Bono does not care that you are Christian. perhaps you need to think of something a little more interesting, artistic, impressive, creative, self-sacraficing, intellectual, etc which would make you more worthy of being met than that you are Christian. no one cares about your religion, unless you are the Pope. it is not a basis for someone to care about meeting you.

June 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Surthurfurd

The reason Christians get held to the higher standard is we said we had the higher standard. It is sort of like wondering why the US is held to a higher standard than Iran or N. Korea. We should not take offense at being asked to show that ideal. We should be impressed with the challenge from God that we can reach for that ideal.

June 29, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  15. LaJollaRich

Now we have our young soldiers fighting a war against Islam when its supposed to be a war against terrorism. There are scriptures carved into magazines.

Religious wars are a huge waste of time. Everybody knows Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are new religions and are silliness. People are dying for no good reason.

June 29, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
    • Surthurfurd

Yes, there are those on all sides of conflict who assume their religion justifies the violence. This does not mean that the violence is really about religion at all. It seems to be more about seeking power in a region and religion is being used as a tool to manipulate people.

Note how quickly Abraham misunderstood (intentionally) God's message to him. We humans are quite good at assuming our own personal interests are those of God.

June 29, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  16. HeIsGod

I am a Christian and I will respect the fact that someone is an Atheist and want remain one until you decide to be one. That is not an issue for me. We are both human beings and we owe each other that respect. I will not defend Christianity, because we do find ourselves get irritated with others and as human beings, we are no better than any unbeliever, but, we should know better than them. I believe that most of the arguments are not because a Christians are haters, but because we come in contact with Atheists that post their comments or replies proclaiming that God doesn't exist, that God is a fairy tale, that we are illusionary, and we have been called many things that I really haven't seen other Christians name. Well, I am speaking for myself. They seem to coming looking for us when there is an article of religion and they seem to fight so hard to convince us
    of their belief and than they seem to whine and complain because we quote the Word Of God, but than, they say we hate them because of God's Word?
    If God doesn't exist, why do atheists care so passionately that some people believe He does? Why do they bother writing books against the existence of God? Or fund ads on the side of London buses to deny something that supposedly doesn't exist? They don't go out of their way to deny leprechauns or fairies or werewolves, so why God? The reason seems to be that atheists do know that God exists. That's why you don't see groups rising up to fight against belief in werewolves. You don't see professors in universities ridiculing the existence of Santa Claus. You don't see organizations mobilizing troops to denounce bunyips, centaurs, or leprechauns.

As sinful humans, we have an amazing tendency to try to justify our actions. This is something that sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom. We do something stupid and try to invent plausible reasons why we did it. Sometimes this is to fool others; sometimes it is to convince ourselves that we are not as stupid as our actions indicate.
    Sometimes people who have taken a strong point of view on something that is wrong think it is their duty to get others on side, because there is safety in numbers. This is how cults form, and how dictators get away with murder.
    If atheists know in their hearts that there really is a God, but they don't want to be accountable to God for their actions, then it starts to make sense why they try so hard to convince others that God doesn't exist.
    This also explains why no-one bothers speaking out against belief in mermaids, pixies, and werewolves. People do not have the truth of these mythical creatures written in their hearts or on their conscience. Nor does nature declare anything about the majesty and power of leprechauns or hobgoblins.
    So atheists must know intuitively that God exists. They just want to convince themselves and others that He doesn't exist because if He does it means they have made the worst decision of their lives to reject Him. And that has eternal consequences that are too horrible to contemplate.
    God wants us to come to Him. He offers salvation to all, and has given two magnificent evidences of Himself. One is the overwhelming evidence of His physical creation all around us, and the other is the imprint of His existence in our conscience.
    There should be no atheists. The fact that there are shows human rebellion and arrogance — not an intellectual discovery.

June 29, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
    • A. Young to Dancer2010

June 30, 2010 at 12:24 am |
    • A. Young

Ooops.. sorry that was not the heading I meant! This post was for HeIsGod (Left Dancer2010 another post)

"You ROCK! (And you and I both know it's because you are founded on THE Rock.) Thanks for your sharing. Totally blessed my night."

June 30, 2010 at 12:26 am |
    • Captain Nemo

>atheists must intuitively know God exists

No, that kind of self-referential logic won't work. By your own logic, believers must also intuitively not believe. Go read a book.

The point you're utterly missing is this: we don't care if you believe or not, just don't harass us if we don't believe what you want us to believe. You believe all you want (just please don't shout fire in crowded theaters or advocate obvious evil or eat children), but you don't get to say horrible things to us because we don't share your belief. Whether you think they're horrible words or not, if somebody asks you to stop saying something, just do so. Persistence in that instance is just rude.

It's kind of like this: your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Let's ignore for the sake of the current discussion whether religious tax exemptions do pick pockets just so we don't get bogged down in side issues.

In the US, you don't get to tell anybody what to believe. If they don't believe, or don't believe as you do, you don't get to be rude about it. Often (not always) the vitriol from people you call "Atheists" is because they're sick and tired of being affronted with what many Christians believe is help but is, intentionally or not, often condescending, horrid abuse.

And before somebody drags up the "US is a Christian nation" or "is/should be no separation of church and state in the US Constitution" mess, read this:

"I, too, want that wall that is in the Constitution of separation of church and state to remain there." – Ronald Reagan, first 1984 presidential debate.

Senile though St. Reagan was in 1984, he still got that one right.

July 8, 2010 at 12:33 am |
  17. DM

Christians, atheists or any other all behave the same way online, there is not a need to single out any particular group, it's just a fact that people do what they want when they think there is no 'real' consequences. I agree with AJ as to "why does CNN feels the liberty to so regularly "correct" the errors of Christians disproportionately compared to other religions ". Maybe the author is a christian. Highly unlikely.

June 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
    • HeIsGod

AMEN!!! We are being attacked from every area of our lives, but as it is written:

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He alos justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:28-31

Through His word, God has revealed many things that will help us to pass these tests of faith, but perhaps the most simplest and fundamental help is the realization that God is on our side – the truth that "we are His children and He is our Father" reminds us that He is always standing there with us. Just like those of you who are parents, when your children are going through difficulties you understand that these are things that they have to experience in their life in order to grow up; to be people who are profitable, and to learn lessons that are vital to their maturity. But as parents, you are standing behind them, not condoning their mistakes, but helping them through the consequences of those mistakes; you are for your children! And in a supreme way, God is the same. God is for us, and that provides us then with strength that we need to overcome.

June 29, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Yeah. It would be nice to see a some Jewish or some Muslims are jerks online. I think it settles a bit the religion of peace arguement because some of the other groups have people literely scared to death of offending them in any way. It's amazing. I am thinking that maybe converting to Islam might be worth it. Only happy provessive stories appear about them.

June 29, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
    • Rob

The author is not only a christian but the son of a preacher.

June 29, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  18. LaJollaRich

Romans didn't witness one miracle. Only his friends / disciple saw it all. Romans occupied Jerusalam during his time. They wrote nothing and man supposedly walked on water. Where's the Latin about that.

June 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  19. Surthurfurd

One of the greatest threats to Christianity was its becoming the religion of the powerful. (That happened long ago in during the Roman Empire). This was the first great schism (Not the later one we hear about). It was this one that led people to blend worldly interests with Christianity. We have not been able to fully extract ourselves from it, though we are making some impressive progress.

June 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  20. hayley

Why mention Bono? Christians need to accept that for the most part almost no one in popular culture thinks Christianity is a 'good idea' (that is my pc way of putting it).
    Christians think they are more important than other people. so, it is not surprising in any way that a Christian would think that Bono would waste his time meeting someone he would otherwise not bother with because that person is a Christian.

No one cares that you are Christian. No one wants you to spew on and on about Jesus or the Rapture. do us all a favor and stop thinking you are more important than almost all of the rest of the world's population... perhaps then - Bono might consider meeting you in Heaven (or at least the Edge might stop by).

June 29, 2010 at 9:59 pm |
    • W0lfman

Perhaps popular culture is not 'good.'

June 29, 2010 at 10:03 pm |