home
RSS
June 29th, 2010

My Take: Why Christians are jerks online

Editor's Note: Jonathan Acuff writes the blog www.stuffchristianslike.net and recently released the book "Stuff Christians Like." In addition to commenting on Christian culture, he’s also written branding for clients such as The Home Depot, Bose, Chick-fil-A and AutoTrader.com. He lives outside of Atlanta with his wife and two young daughters. Follow him on Twitter @prodigaljohn.

By Jonathan Acuff, Special to CNN

Bono is a born again Christian.

Or he’s not.

It’s one of those two. I’m just not sure which, but I am certain that the faith of U2 is something we Christians like to argue about. That and beer. You never know if your small group is populated with prohibitionists. You have to say things like, "Is there anything you need me to bring to the dinner party, anything at all?" Then if they say, "Sure, how about a bottle of wine?" you’re good.

U2, beer, our favorite pastor’s kid-gone-wild Katy Perry: these are usually the topics I write about on www.stuffchristianslike.net. (Which is indeed a direct rip off of the site www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com.) But today I thought I might deal with something with a little sharper teeth. Something you don’t see addressed often, but you might have experienced.

Put simply, I want to talk about why sometimes we Christians are jerks online.

Much like "Christian hate mail," being a "Jerk Christian" defies logic. We serve a loving God. We follow a Christ who very plainly told us what to do. In Matthew 22 someone asks Jesus, "What is the most important commandment?" The answer is simple:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself." All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

There’s no confusion about that. No smoke monster. No mystical wisdom that must be found on a mountain peak after growing a ZZ Top-worthy beard. Someone asks Christ what matters and the second thing is "Loving your neighbor as yourself."

So then why are there so many hateful Christian blogs? Why do Christians write bitter messages on Twitter? Why do we send hate mail?

I think there are two reasons Christians are jerks online.

1. The business traveler approach.
  2. It’s unfortunately not that uncommon for business travelers to get in trouble when they’re on the road. With a "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" approach they tend to do things they would never do at home. "The rules don’t apply here. I’m a different person. This is 'road me,' not 'home me.'" I believe sometimes Christians approach the Internet the same way. The rules of "real life" don’t count. Sure, I have to love my neighbor, but are people on Facebook my neighbor? The Internet doesn’t "count." These are just words. Surely I can throw a missile of hate at someone on Twitter. And when we buy into this logic, we develop an unloving, anything goes, whatever happens online stays online mentality. We become two different people, "Offline Christian" and "Online Christian." And we become jerks.

3. Room Cleaning Christianity

Why do Christians argue about drinking beer or why the tankini is the least slutty of all bathing garments? I think it’s because we sometimes practice "Room Cleaning Christianity." Think of it like college. When you’ve got a final paper due Monday, you will be amazed at how energetic your desire is to clean your room. You will scrub tile with a slow toothbrush if it means avoiding the bigger, more difficult work of writing your paper. The same thing happens with Christianity. Loving your neighbor might be simple, but it’s not easy. Maybe my neighbor is a jerk too. Maybe they hate God. Maybe they are actively and violently opposed to everything I believe. And showing them grace feels impossible. So instead of dealing with that, we get online and police people. We find small things to focus on that will distract us. I think God wants us to discuss the little stuff, but we make it an idol when we practice room cleaning Christianity at the exclusion of love. And we tend to become jerks.

Hopefully you’ve never experienced either of these things. Hopefully this article feels like Amish Romance Fiction, currently a hit amongst Christians. But if it doesn’t, if you’ve been an online jerk, if you’ve acted like I have, there’s hope.

Jesus came for the mess-ups like us. Jesus came for the failures. Jesus came for the jerks. (That’s not in the King James version of the Bible, I remixed it like Timbaland.) And the truth is, grace is the antidote to being a jerk online.

So my hope is that you won’t prove my point in the comments section. My hope is you’ll accept my apology for the times I’ve been a jerk to you online.

My hope is that I’ll see Bono in heaven, or at the bare minimum "the Edge."

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jonathan Acuff.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Jesus • Opinion

soundoff (1,722 Responses)
  1. HeIsGod

@ Jenna you commented to Nonbeliever:

@ Nonbeliever: You said "I left Christianity because the congregations I tried to worship at were full of two-faced hypocrites who did not love or treat others the way they wished to be treated. The majority of Christians are not role models that I want my children to act anything like."

I'm 100% positive that there are many hypocrites in the church. Simple fact is because no one is perfect. Everyone falls short of the glory of God. However, you chose to lose your faith because of others, not because of yourself. Since when is a Christian supposed to look at others as an example? Yes, of course we are to be an example, and many are not. But even with such hypocrites and deceivers, your focus should be on God and what He has called us to be... not on what others do.

God will judge one day, (and if He doesn't, for all those nonbelievers, I'm glad I have lived a better life out of it), then your excuse of "I fell out of my faith because of your "followers'" will unfortunately land you in a place no one longs for. I'm sorry many people deal with those Christians who continue to fall on a daily basis and turn others away from God because of it, but it is not about Christianity, or church, or faith... It's about a personal relationship with God and not a single other person. Love God first, love your neighbor second. That is what God has called for us to do, who He has called us to be. That is how I live.

My comment to you: You are so right!! Our faith and our deeds is unto the LORD, not mankind. Nonbeliever closed to faith and his relationship to Christ, not men. Also, I know what is like to be in a hypocritical and it is very hard to want to be there, especially when you are a baby (born-again) Christian. I even had wanted many times to live my church because of these so-called Christians that made me cry and praise be to God that no matter how many times I wanted to leave, God's Word and Presence in that Church was so strong and powerful, He didn't allow me to leave. He brought so much comfort and healing to my heart, mind, and soul. It wasn't easy, but He taught me to be strong. Til this day, Jenna, I am still there, for more than 15 years! Also, I had to learn that I was not there for anyone, except for God to hear the Pastor preach. Even our Pastor had the very same experience & testimony as Nonbeliever and I did. He said that he had to determine that when he went to church it was just God, the Pastor and him. Some times that is what it takes to grow in God, block everyone around you when you are in Church in order to hear the voice of God through the one that is Preaching. PRAISE GOD, AMEN!!

June 30, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
    • HeIsGod

I meant to say:

"Nonbeliever closed his/her faith and his relationship to Christ, not men." Also, our relationship is unto God, not mankind. God said not to let no men take your crown of life.

Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. (Revelation 3:11)

The watchmen that went about the city found me, they smote me, they wounded me; the keepers of the walls took away my veil from me. (Song of Songs 5:7)

June 30, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  2. sim

Ok, here's the deal: Christians are supposed to be hated. It's part of the trick and always has been–from the very beginning. It's a religion originally based on and demonstrated by martyrdom. Christians are outsiders and their religion revels, even thrives on it. Unfortunately, while the Christian Right has the outsider thing down, they don't have much use or pay much attention to Christ or his teachings. Rushism is the new Christianity. Hate is the new love. If this sounds similar to the Big Lie, well, it is–it is precisely the same mechanism at work. Fascism is the new democracy.

June 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  3. rechellemalin

Well – I am an atheist, but was a devout Christian for 41 years. I served as an elder in my church, taught Sunday school, directed the choir. etc etc...However, now that I have deconverted, I realize that Christians have to make a choice. They are either honest and express their feelings honeslty (including anger, rage, hostility, etc) OR they choose to love their neighbor as themselves. It is frequently impossible to be both honest and loving. Chrisitians (the neighbor loving variety) are very dishonest and extremely unauthentic individuals. I much prefer the Christians that this guy would describe as Jerks. At least they are honest.

June 30, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
    • HeIsGod

I hate to hear that you are not longer a Christian, but an Atheist. It is sad that you didn't hold on to God's promises, being that you did serve as an elder for 41 years. My heart goes out to you because I know that it isn't easy being among hypercritical Christian, I know, I have been in your shoes, but I guess you fail to realize that your deeds was unto to God. I wished you could have asked God to guide you and help you search for a better church where the Word of God is preached at its best, where you can learn of God, know of God, and give back unto others. Being a Christian isn't easy, but it is sure worth it when on stands very firm on the Word of God, regardless what comes against you or surrounds you. God is greater than he, Satan, demons, even false religious mankind.

You have allowed people to take the best of you life by taking the crown of life from you. I pray that you can sit back and think about your life and the life you shared with Christ during those years. I pray that you do not allow the years that you served God as an elder be in vain. God loves you very much and He still has His open arms waiting for your return. As I tell my children often, NEVER, allow anyone to determine your future, except for God who is your future. May God bless you, rechellemalin!!

TAKE BACK YOUR CROWN, RECHELLEMALIN!!!!!!!

June 30, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
    • Lynn

Helsgod, read my two posts a few posts above. rechellemalin is not the only former christian posting here. Your post is obviously the party line so similar to what most christians use. It appeals entirely to emotion. Quoting the bible to someone who has studied enough to know all the absurdities, atrocities, errors, and contradictions in it and knows the history of its compilation with the handprints of man continually upon it, does nothing to persuade someone your delusion is worth following.

July 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
    • Kate

And was extremely rude to boot. Reference the blog. Yes – you are a jerk.

July 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
    • Camille in Raleigh

Like you, I am also a former Christian. I came to the realization years ago that Christianity is an abusive relationship–I left home to get away from an abusive relationship, and when I became a Christian I found myself right back in one. Unlike you, however, I didn't become an atheist. I do believe that there are gods, and I chose those that aren't an abusive jackwagon like the desert thunder-god that you and I both used to worship. I am Asatru now, and count as my *friends* the gods of my ancestors–and I am far, far, far happier for it. I no longer live in fear of angering somebody who keeps the followers in line with dire threats of bodily harm. I no longer feel the need to "rebel" against an abuser to try to find some kind of confidence–I simply do right by others and live a far more ethical and "upright" life than I did as a Christian, because I know that I don't have to worry about some abusive jerk beating me down.

...now I just have to worry about that abusive jerk's equally abusive followers deciding to get up in my face–but that's what I keep a hockey stick handy for.

And that is what works...for me.

July 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  4. Spidey-Man

christians are Always Jerks! on line and off... Always so holier than me and all that crap... notice i did NOT capitalize the c in christian...

June 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Squiddy

My two cents–

Speaking as one formerly Jewish, now agnostic, and not having been raised in a Christian household, I do not think the problem is that Christians are bad people because of their faith. At least in part, it's the other way around: the Christian faith - and, hell, many, many other religions - attracts bad people. People who want to scream and abuse and preach fire and brimstone to their fellow humans and want an excuse to do it. People who enjoy hate and want to look legitimate while they hate.

I have known several of the 'warm-and-fuzzy' Christians. Despite my faith, or semi-lack thereof, they are some of the nicest and most pleasant people I have ever met.

June 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Clark

I see a lot of people that like to quote from the bible. The bible has been edited over time when it has been proven to be bs.
    Hundreds of years ago the bible said the earth was flat and it was the center of the universe with the sun and planets revolving around it. Galileo proved the earth was not the center and actually revolved around the sun. He was thrown in jail for saying the truth. Today the pope, the most powerful figure in christianity covers for child molesters who abused the weakest among all: Little deaf children. If these monsters weren't in the religion business they would be thrown in jail.
    Estimates say about 1 billion innocent people have been brutally murdered in the name of jesus christ. With the crusades, genocide of american indians, slavery and other atrocities all endorsed by the bible the only things christianity has ever proven is that god is the most miserable failure man has ever created and that christianity is the greatest source of evil and immorality to have ever plagued this planet.

June 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
    • PACoug

The Crusades again. God, when will you idiots pick up a history book? The Muslims were killing Christians by the tens of thousands, not the other way around. They had invaded Spain and converted hundreds of Christian churches into mosques. They had conquered Byzantium and converted Christianity's largest cathedral into a mosque, and were just one or two military victories from conquering Vienna. The Christian world was not a fighting one until Islam invaded its lands and began to murder its people if they refused to renounce their faith.

The Crusades were a centuries-delayed counterattack to muslim imperialism that had already murdered hundreds of thousands in its jihadist intent to rule the world. Before Mohammed, Christianity was pretty happy to be left alone.

Turkey was a CHRISTIAN nation, called Byzantium. Istanbul used to be Constantine's capital–and that was long before Mohammed came along and invented Islam. There was no Islam before Mohammed.

As for the "billion" killed in the name of Christianity, please list the major conflicts in which these millions were killed.

Because I can name you a couple genocides in the name of Atheism (Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot) that DWARF any killing that ever occured in the name of Christ.

Mao's genocide was history's bloodiest, and it caused the deaths of over a hundred million. Nothing in recorded history even comes close except Stalin. Christianity? A billion people?

And where did you get the idea that the American Indians were slaughtered in the name of Christ? That was two groups fighting over the same land, sonny boy. If every single Indian had become a Christian, the Americans would have still wiped them out.

So, scratch the Crusades (a defensive war against Muslim atrocities) and the American Indians (a territorial war unrelated to religion).

Hitler was an atheist, as are all communists.

Your atheism is history's bloodiest killer.

Christianity isn't even a blip on the screen by comparison.

FAIL.

June 30, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
    • Kate

Maybe you should pick up a history book yourself. Marxism is the only brand of communism that even refers to atheism and it does so to remove the power of churches, not because it cares about anyone's belief.

And I suppose you think all those people in religious communes are not practicing communism?

July 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
    • Lynn

PACoug, before the muslims and christians were killing one another, christians were killing christians for hundreds of years. Ever hear of heresy? Those were christians burning other christians at the stake for heresy. Ever read the history of christians killing pagans who would not convert? Truth is that christians and muslims have killed millions throughout history in the name of their religion. Is it coincidence they both believe in the god of the bible? They learned well, as well they might. God in the bible was quite the murderous guy. Study the bible, not just to find the pleasant parts christians tend to glorify, but study it to find out just how abhorrent some of it is. If you sincerely seek out the unpleasant parts of the bible and study that part as much as you do the pleasant parts, you will soon find that the christian delusion under which you live will fall away and you can see just how evil the god in the bible really was. Ever watch the video online of muslims stoning to death one of their own? Ever notice how many offenses the god of the bible declared as deserving death by stoning? No wonder some of his muslim followers still use this abhorrent practice. Once you are no longer delusional, you will know without a doubt that the bible and christianity are from the minds of men, just as the thousands of other gods and religions that have existed also sprang from the minds of men. The invention of the printing press changed the world and religion by being a tool to enlighten the masses. Do not underestimate the power of the internet to do the same. I was a christian for 50 years, but two years of intense study of ancient religions, the history of the bible, the history of christianity and opening my eyes to the unpleasant things in the bible that christians tend to ignore has convinced me christianity and the bible are not unique as christians believe. The internet has made history readily availble. Utilize it to enlighten and educate yourself and the blinders of christian delusion will fall away.

July 1, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
    • Lynn

PACoug, my post above is meant to hopefully entice you to study history. By no means can I include here all that I have learned in two years of study. This I do know though. Not any sane, logical and rational person can learn all I have learned and still believe the bible and christianity or any other religion for that matter came from god. What is sad to me, virtually all my family refuse to discuss this at all. Why? Religions have a tendency to put the fear of God in their followers for exposing themselves to anything but the party doctrine. This is why Amish, fundamentalist Mormons, and regular Mormons to a great extent and muslims segregate themselves from "the world". My family members believe they will be deceived and go to hell if they talk to me about this. If you refuse to investigate the truth for yourself, as I am encouraging you to do, what possible justification would you ever have to fault a muslim, FLDS, LDS or any christian or religious fundamentalist for his refusal to listen to your particular brand of christian dogma?

July 1, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  7. Tempest Fujit

The laws of "God". God is everywhere. The universe is everywhere. Try looking at God as the Universe. The laws of the Universe are not riddled with Threats. Do this/be this or else? What I see is that the laws of the universe do not threaten us with personal eternal damnation. That's a little like telling me if I don't do what you want of me I will be grounded or sent to my room without TV. Universal law does not threaten. My God deals with intelligent compassion and truth. The truth. The law gets broke. The result is this.

Einstein said: "God doesn't play with Dice." E+MC Square. Try splitting the atom. One of Gods most basic building blocks. The result is a destructive energy that ripples through everything until it balances itself again. Einstein warned of it's implications. What do we do. Create the most destructive devices so we can obliterate our enemy.

I got an idea. Let's poke a whole in our home (the earth) so we can take advantage of Billions of years saved up energy. The energy that runs our machine (our planet) so we can exploit its riches. You know at 5000 feet bellow sea level where the pressure is so enormous we can't shut it off. Instead of gathering the energy that is already washing our earth (the sun, another one of Gods inventions) It's almost too easy to see how miraculous the Universal (Gods) Law is. Even a simple thing like the weather patterns that are created from the warming and cooling the sun is responsible for (wind). Or maybe the moisture from the heat that creates clouds that cause rain that feeds our streams and the energy that turns the turbines that create electricity.

I could go on. What I'm trying to say is that my God does not warn me with threats of damnation if I don't follow his commandments. A compassionate God would call them suggestions for a righteous life of harmlessness. I could deal with: "The Ten Suggestions." That goes along with free will.

The Cristian Faith states we are all sinners. I think the word sin has lost it's true meaning. To sin is not related to the "Evil" definition that the modern world has labeled. Sin is a word that has been misquoted. literally translated from the Greek in which the new testament was written, to Sin means miss the mark, as an archer misses the target, so to sin means to miss the point of human existence!

June 30, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Awesome comment!!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!! God bless you!!

June 30, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  8. John

Go look at Baptist board, ther is a guy there (RevernMitch) who hates everyone that disagrees with him. Legalistic to the nth power. I see Christians like this and I am don't why anyone would be one.

June 30, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
    • T. Question

I know the last statement should have been the end but I was so moved to answer this question. If every Christian on the planet was wicked that still does not prevent you from being a good one.

June 30, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  9. HeIsGod

@ Gary – Your comment to me:
    Will my cat go to heaven? I am pretty sure it has a soul. Pretty sure it has no idea who jesus is. He is a good cat though. Never hurts anyone and is very loving and kind, but he has not been babtised not accepted god as his savior. The most arrogant part of any religion is the idea that this little itty bitty spec is the center of the universe. If there is a God I am pretty sure he doesn't know you even exist.... He is too busy working.

Gary, you will be surprised that even the animals know God better than human beings!

Isa 65:25 5 The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, but dust will be the serpent's food. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain," says the LORD. NIV

I have no doubt that our loving heavenly Father can resurrect our pets and make them part of our happiness in heaven. However, the Bible does not give any references to this, as the Bible was written for the salvation of mankind. (After all, something written for animals wouldn't do a lot of good when the animals can't read!!)

Psalm 148 commands all of creation to praise the Lord, including the animals: "Wild animals and all cattle, small creatures and flying birds, kings of the earth and all nations, you princes and all rulers on earth, young men and maidens, old men and children. Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his splendor is above the earth and the heavens" (vv. 10-13). If in some sense fallen animals, shadows of what they once were, can praise God on this fallen Earth, how much more should we expect them to do so on the New Earth? "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord" (Psalm 150:6). Since animals are said to have breath, they are included among those directed to praise God.

Passages in Revelation also indicate that the animals will praise their creator: "Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: 'To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!'" (Revelation 5:13). What are these "creatures" said to do? To sing praises to God in worship. If "every creature in heaven and on earth" includes animals, then animals praise God.
    Sin came on this earth through man, not through animals. The animals are but innocent by-standers. Rom 5:12: Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned

June 30, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
    • Kate

How is any of this proof of anything?

July 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  10. T. Question

I shall end my input into this wonderful debate by asking something of my audience how small or wide as it might be. Find the most religious communities in the country. Those that most prize God's word and you see they live in relative peace. Murder rates non existent, crime almost non existent, and sense of community far greater then those without God's guidance. Obedience is for our benefit because true peace and harmony can only come in a world obedient to God. Without God morality becomes opinion and with billions of opinions morality can be nothing beyond ciaos.

June 30, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
  11. Lynn

It is interesting you quoted the bible on how we are to treat our fellow man. Love our neighbour as ourself. Treat others as we ourselves would want to be treated. Great truths from the christian bible. The only problem, the same timeless truth is found in virtually all religions. Christianity's greatest commandment isn't so unique after all. This leads me to wonder if Hindus, Zoroastrians, Buddhists or followers of any of the other myriad religions that have taught the same thing have also forgot their religion and are rude online as well? Just a thought.

June 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
    • Mauricio

It would be very nice if you address your intended recipient; they have nicknames. Otherwise if your intended recipient answers you; you can say he is crazy and you were not intending your comment towards him or her. By the way hate is a normal human emotion which God put in man and is there for a reason. To hate what God hates is perfectly alright. What is not right is to hate what He does no hate. How do you know when to hate? Easy. One type of hate lands you in jail and the other does not. That is why you have to be careful with what you hate.

July 1, 2010 at 12:33 am |
    • Lynn

Mauricio, I did just like you. I posted under the person I was addressing, which was the blog writer. I did not address him by name in my post just as you did not address me by name in yours. However, now that you replied to my post, I do not understand why you are talking about hate. I never mentioned hating anyone in my post.

July 1, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
    • Mauricio

Lynn: Obviously, i had no intent to reply to your post. I have no clue what happened. I am sorry for that.

July 2, 2010 at 10:51 am |
    • Mauricio

Lynn: I take that back. It was your post i intended to reply to. You are right you did not mention hate; it was rude that i equated with hate. Rude is a different emotion than hate. As far as you posting directly below your intending recipient, you probably do not realize it but one cannot assume that because the chances that your reply falls beneath your intended recipient is slim, because there can be many people posting at the same time as you are and the chances that their post lands before yours is high. This why you need to use the intended recipient nickname if you are not going to use the reply button. The advantage of using the reply button is that your reply will be indented before your recipient making more obvious.

July 2, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  12. DL

Good article up until the last line: "My hope is that I’ll see Bono in heaven, or at the bare minimum "the Edge.""

Right back to being an exclusionist Christian jerk. Your well-crafted words ring hollow to me now.

June 30, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  13. Mauricio

By the way, the nickname I used in Frontiersman is not the same as the one I am using here. So news do travel fast over yonder. That was my intent, however, seeing that Frontiersman may be laying a trap for me. And they almost were successful, but all they achieved is to look more like the Pharisees trying to catch me in my words. They do not appear to be concerned to be like the Pharisees, I would., not just because I do not want to be hypocritical deliberately but because of the severe judgment of God impending upon them.

June 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Good evening Mauricio. I am just curious, who is Frontiersman?

June 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
    • Mauricio

Frontiersman is a newspaper in Wasilla, Ak near where I live. They allow people to post in a faith section just like here except that they humanly screen everything written. The danger with that is that they can libel anyone if they are biased by not posting the reply's to a conversation or or posting it at a later time out of sequence or posting that which is addressed to them to unintended recipients. This human manipulation also allows them to control the ranking of the posts so that only what they pick remains at the top. So when a newcomer comes, he sees part of the conversation and not all of it so that he get the biased view they intend to show. For example, A commentator was asking questions that I have answered before as if I have never answered them. I tried to reply again, but Frontiersman will not post it leaving the challenging question at the top. Making it appear as if I chose not to answer becase he was right -which was Frontiersman intent. Also, having the replies next to the post is very important – something i appreciate of this blog – because the place were the replies are could be many comments down were the intended receipient or new readers may not see them. Another form of Libel Frontiersman do is to delete an article where the truth is presented correctly -not necesarily because there are too many coments in the article or it is an old article but to sponsor the view that is in error but is what they prefer. In other words they know the truth but do not want it so they manipulate all these thingsi mentioned above in an effort to promote the error they want. catholics do not want the people to know the truth because they do not want to repent of their error. Also, the fact that you do not know who Frontiersman is do not mean others do not know.

June 30, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Thanks for letting me know, I won't be wasting my time there! I appreciate you!

June 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  14. Mauricio

There is also something strange going on with Frontiersman; Not too long ago one of their staff members committed suicide. You can verify that by searching the news.

June 30, 2010 at 9:06 pm |
  15. Mauricio

Funny thing. Yesterday when I complained here about Frontiersman not posting my comments; they suddenly appeared today there with doctored dates and of course out of sequence and they posted what i addressed to them explicitly and i did not authorize to be public; they do screen their comments by a human. Yet, they still did not post my answers to other commentators. What they done to me is called libel. Putting comments out of context is libel. This was done against the church by Christendom already by taking their citations out of context. They think they can fool you all. Even here, my reply to Dave, to a Jehovah witness, is withheld and there is not supposed to be any screening? How many are with me?

June 30, 2010 at 9:02 pm |
  16. HeIsGod

@ Joeatheist – You said:
    Just to keep the record clear, us Atheists are not always the most polite either. We don't have a God to keep us in toe, so we can only blame ourselves.

Joeatheist, thank you so much for your honesty. You are a very kind Atheist and I wish we can have more like you admitting that they are not always polite either. We are all humans and we are not perfect. We do have hateful Christians, I will not lie. As a Christian, I interact with them constantly. They way I see it, a true Christian needs to represent Christ outside the 4 walls of the Church. Some seem to act worse than Atheist, why, because we do have a God who keeps us in our ways, but sadly, even these Christians resist God as Atheist do. But, as I have said it many times, I will say it again, Atheist do have a God as we do, the only difference with Christians, we are more sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit who keeps us on our toes and Atheist are stiff neck and stubborn. They refuse to be guided by the Spirit of God.

June 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
    • Eric G

"Atheist are stiff neck and stubborn." Why do you continue to insult others who do not believe in something that you have admitied you cannot prove exists? I, for one, will take your comments more seriously and treat you with greater respect when you appologize for insulting those who do not share your beliefs.
      Just kidding................ I have thick skin. You can call me whatever you want.

June 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Ha, ha, ha, ha....I said, oh no, not Eric!! Thanks for the laugh!!

June 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
  17. Ann

Most Christians don't want to think of their own shortcomings so they point out and judge everyone else's. Christ said we are to examine the log in our eye before the speck in another's. Judging others is prideful; one of the most serious sins. What bathing suit you wear, what you do or do not drink, whether you sit in a church each Sunday is not relevant. Faith in Christ as your Lord and Savior wins the day...and eternal life.

June 30, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  18. Dori

The unbeliever can always argue that our God does not exist but those who know God as a friend,know in their hearts a truth you do not.Why?because you choose not to know and that is your right to do so.It is not to know God but rather how well you know him.My faith in God is strong because I have seen what others have not and for my faith I have peace.Hebrews 11:1 tells us;Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.It does not say what we can not see but what we DO NOT SEE,meaning we have a choice to see.The reason why people who have met God as a friend want to share their experience is they have lost the confusion and hatred of this world and want to share this with others,this is not a bad thing.

June 30, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  19. verify

Gene: Just in case you missed my apology above:

Gene: I am so sorry... no, I didn't catch your sarcasm. I guess I have just seen too many posts where people really *do* believe that way. I sincerely apologize.

June 30, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
    • Gene

Not a problem, Mr.Verify. You can't hear voice inflections on a post, and emoticons will take you only so far.
      Thanks for being a decent sport about it.

June 30, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  20. T. Question

I can speak only for myself but as a Christian I am and object failure. I am not a failure because I failed to show compassion. I am not a failure because was cruel to others. I am not a failure because I missed doing some religious ritual. What makes me the biggest failure is that I have failed and continue to follow the path of a Christian. If being a Good Christian was as easy as being kind and loving everyone, then no one would fail as a Christian. If following the path of the Lord was easy then the Prophets would not have failed as often as they did. If it were so easy we would not need forgiveness for sin. What some have done is because the task was too hard they just complied with those rules that were convenient for them to follow. And even that was not enough so they then took to trying to get others buy into their rule change, you know figuring there is safety in numbers. The thing most of us do not get is it matters not what man thinks of how you live you life, what really matters is what God thinks. If the whole world told you to go against God you would be right if you said no. Popularity means nothing in the eyes of God. Obedience is everything and it is one of the last lessons I myself must learn.

June 30, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
    • Kate

Too bad there is no direct distinct unarguable set of rules from your god to obey. But don't forget, if you can't figure it out, it must be your fault.

June 30, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ Eric G – Good evening. In response to your comment "Obedience is everything":

“Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,” – Romans 1v5

“O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E…obedience is the very best way to show that you believe.” The children in our Kids Klub have always loved to sing that song. The problem is that sometimes adults can see that only as a kid’s song and forget its relevance for adults.

As Paul wrote to the church at Rome he went through an introduction explaining who is was, what God had done in Him, and what he was doing. Here he says that God gave him grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith.

I think there is a lot said in just a few words. First of all Paul says that he has the grace and the “sent-out-ness” to go into all the nations and proclaim the necessity of obedience to the gospel. Obedience to the faith is the only way for salvation. Men must obey God’s way, by putting their faith in Christ, in order to be saved. Secondly, it is an act of obedience on our part to act in faith and carry His word to all nations. Thirdly, it certainly appears that true faith is going to produce obedience to the faith in our lives.

We might do well to consider the words of that “children’s” song for indeed; obedience is the very best way to show that we believe.

June 30, 2010 at 7:51 pm |