home
RSS
July 23rd, 2010

Do you pray before meals?

Your faith may or may not dictate what's on your plate, but how about what comes before? Take a poll on our sister blog, Eatocracy, and let us know!

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Culture & Science

1. max pargs

Everyone here who prays before meals should read 'the god delusion' by richard dawkins.

Its a joke that people in the era of modern science and technology still worship an invisible man (or whatver you want to believe) in the sky. Its ok to be thankful for your food, but god had nothing to do with it. Modern farming techniques, the internal combustion engine, the refrigerator, genetics...these all have to do with it...and did not come from someone praying.

The funny thing I think about every day is: I bet if you asked a religious person today if they believed it was possible for polytheism to be true, they'd scoff and say absolutely not...but for the same person to think that ONE god can do everything instead of MANY gods, is even more absurd.

July 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm |

max pargs,
      You say that it is a joke that people in this era of modern science and technology still worship an invisible man in the sky….because of modern farming techniques….internal combustion engines, refrigerators, genetics…these have all to do with it not praying, you say.
      So you think that we are so much smarter in this era than our forefathers. So there was a gap in man’s learning? Our forefathers learned nothing all the while they existed on this earth and then all of a sudden we in this era learned without any foundation from them? That is foolish thinking; man was able to think and pray at the same time! Still can! Read; you have some catching up to do……………

July 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

Most of our forefathers were not christian. No god in the constitution.

July 28, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  2. sheetiron

Yes I do, and not only when I eat. I always remind myself of how thankful I should be to God for every meal.

July 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  3. Thorne

No I don't. However, I do thank the animal for their sacrifice if I get something when I go hunting or fishing. It's something I learned from my father and is an integral part of my religion. I of course do not mock others for their belief or lack thereof. I was raised better than that. Each to their own.

July 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  4. Will

Always; get over it.

July 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  5. Michael

Utter nonsense!
    Any person over the age of 4 who regularly communicates with an invisible friend is suffering from mental illness.

If you don't believe me, just act out your belief without referrihng to one of the "acceptable gods" here in the USA. You will be locked up.

When I'm asked to pray before a meal, I simply ask them if they will wait until I stop laughing. That usually ends it. They talk to their imaginary friend and I don't. The result is the same.

July 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  6. David

No, I leave my fantasies and fictions for later, when I'm reading a good story or watching a nice film. But I do thank god for making idiots – and thank their various, contradictory religions for keeping them that way – whenever I happen upon them. every single time.

July 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  7. Gary

God answers all prayers.....his/her answer is usually NO !!

July 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm |

July 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm |

@CatholicMom

You said, "The question is.....what are you praying for that the answer is always, 'No!' Thank God, God knows what is best for you even if you don't!! You have heard.....'Be careful of what you pray for, you just might get it!'"

I got this explanation from a evangelical Christian: God ALWAYS answers prayer in one of 3 ways. (1) He says "YES". You get what you asked for right away. (2) He says "WAIT". This means you will get what you asked for some time in the future. (3) He says "NO". You aren't getting what you asked for.

Example: Many people prayed that the Gulf oil spill would stop. It did not stop right away, so number 1 above did not happen. Number 2 says, "Wait". Well yeah, the oil now does seem to have stopped, but a lot of oil gushed into the Gulf. God sure works in mysterious ways. So "WAIT" did happen. Our prayer was answered.

The problem with this, is that I can get the same results praying to my golf putter, or anything else I choose to pray to.

Much of what is attributed to the miraculous is a matter of coincidence and random chance.

July 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • verify

Why has this "God" never EVER seen fit to regenerate a missing human limb, regardless of how many earnest prayers have been said? "He" does it for lizards and starfish, who as far as we know don't even pray. Why not for "His" finest creation?

July 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm |

@Verify

The desert war god seems to also have trouble with iron chariots...

July 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  8. TruthBeBorn

Thank you Jesus for this processed food which is filled with cancer causing chemicals served in styrofoam and plastic containers which will be my glutton legacy left in landfills for thousands of years to come when my obese body finally gives out.*

*Prayer good for Americans, most which are statistically overweight and have no idea what they are actually eaten nor how it's prepared.

July 23, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  9. Gary

My family prays before meals . Even as an agnostic I do pray to a higher power. I do a lot of meditating and relaxation before excercise and meals. My wife and kids are Christians and thats fine with me. I just cant worship much less believe in a lord I have never met,seen or heard from. I am thankful for family,food,friends and nature ..

July 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Everything you have that means anything to you..... family, food, friends, nature, and every breath you take is a blessing from God. Your heart can’t be that hard and cold since you know love from a wife and kids…..you do feel their love towards you, right? You can’t see love or touch it or have it speak to you….but you know it is there. Why can’t you feel God’s love for you?

July 24, 2010 at 9:40 pm |
  10. The Jackdaw

I come from a Christian family. They divorced when I was one. Then I spent my childhood eating fish sticks so that my mother could afford to keep our home. Thank God? No. I think my mother. She's more real than any imagined God.

July 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
    • Gary

The Jackdaw, Sorry about your rough childhood. As an agnostic I understand your angst for religious folks.

July 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Jackdaw – We have struggle many times, but my daughter never fails to thank God for the food we eat. It's not about how much we have to eat. Many people didn't have what your mom gave you. My Pastor and his family ate sandwiches for a very long time when he started to preach, but he gave thanks to God for their everyday sandwich.

July 23, 2010 at 8:15 pm |

The Jackdaw,

We grew up on oatmeal without sugar on it. Thank God! Back then we did not know how bad sugar is for us! It was a blessing!

One time Dad went out in the woods and downed a ‘bee hive tree’ that he left alone all summer long so the bees could make their honey; it broke open when it hit the ground and was loaded with honey. The bees crawled under Dad’s pants and covered his legs and under his shirt wherever they could find an opening and covered his body, but he keep scooping the honey into the tub which was filled with gallons of honey and honeycomb.

As he carried the tub away from the tree towards home all the bees stung at the same time as though the leader bee said, ‘Sting NOW!’ He was in great pain but struggled desperately to get the honey home to his sugar-starved family. He was showing his love for sure!

Wow! That oatmeal was a wonderful meal after that!

If we had fish, we caught it first. If we had rabbit or squirrel, we hunted first.

The blessing is ‘we never went to bed hungry.’

July 25, 2010 at 10:57 am |

@CatholicMom

Too bad god didn't tell your dad about smoke and its effect on bees. Also he might have mentioned to your dad, that tying string around his pant legs and shirt sleeves would keep the bees out. Odd that a person who lived in the country didn't know this, just from watching others. I tell you, I'm starting to doubt this god thing...

July 26, 2010 at 7:35 pm |

David Johnson,

July 27, 2010 at 11:58 am |

@CatholicMom

You said, "Some people move from the big city into the country and are not afraid to try…………"

I once received a chain saw for Father's Day. I went next door and got instructions from my neighbor on how to use it.

God is really poor at restoring missing limbs.

"Discretion is the better part of valor" (a google moment).

July 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm |

David Johnson,
      Didn’t the chain saw come with a manual?

People who moved from the streets of Chicago to northern Wisconsin in the early 40’s knew not to spread the word of where the pot of gold was [that is, where the next job opening was] until you had what you needed for your family first.

Family came first with Dad though he always shared his blessings with others.

July 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  11. RyanS

Yes I do. A family that prays together stays together. I thank the Lord every day for my blessings and I pray for this country.

July 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
    • Mr Reality

Prayer makes you feel like you are doing something when you are really doing nothing.

A family that prays together stays IGNORANT together.

July 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
    • TruthBeBorn

Really? I know lot's of Christians who prayed at meal times and now have families that are split from divorce. But hey, it's a catchy slogan, who cares if it's meaningless.

July 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
    • Gary

RyanS, this country needs help. God is blessing China and India with all our jobs. Our brave young soldiers are dying across the oceans while our gov refuses to allow us to protect our own boarder...

July 23, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
    • David Johnson

Please pray the Dems are re-elected in November. And a few boils on the racist Republicans would be nice...

July 23, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

A family that eats dinner together, tends to stay together.

July 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  12. The Jackdaw

Praying before you eat is like dancing for rain. Thank a farmer, not a fairy tale.

July 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm |

The Jackdaw,
      We each have our talent…… some as farmers, some as doctors, some scientists, some artists, some parents, etc. We are all children of God, each with a talent, and no one’s talent is more important than the next. We are all part of the body of Christ. Who can say, ‘I am an eye and more important than the ear, or a foot cannot say it is more important than a hand. No, we should be thankful for the talents of each and every person as long as they do not bury their talent or misuse it….

July 27, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  13. Reality

July 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
    • Kate

Doctors too – especially since most religious people are really rude to them.

July 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm |

@Kate

You said, "Doctors too – especially since most religious people are really rude to them."

Shame be upon you!

There have been several times I have read in the news of a child dying, because the parents prayed for them and did not seek medical attention. Do you have any idea, how much faster these children would have perished, had their parents taken them to a doctor instead of praying?

July 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm |
  14. Reality

Thank-you notes to your local farmers, food-processors, grocery stores and delivery persons are good. Prayers? Said providers cannot see, read or hear. And even if there is a god, he or she or it already answered your prayers with the food in front of you.

July 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
    • Luke

Unless you're cat. cat doesn't care where his Chick-fil-A comes from.

July 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm |

@Reality

You said, "Thank-you notes to your local farmers, food-processors, grocery stores and delivery persons are good. Prayers? Said providers cannot see, read or hear them. And even if there is a god, he or she or it already answered your prayers with the food in front of you."

Just curious, I have heard that starving children have eaten the lead paint chips from walls, dirt and anything else that could fill the pain in their stomachs. Do they owe god a full prayer of thanks, or only a nod of the head?

These women in the picture look well nourished. God must love them a lot. Why does he hate the starving?

July 23, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
    • HeIsGod

So what's different in the atheist's brain? If God doesn't exist, why do atheists such as Richard Dawkins care so passionately that some people believe in Him? Why do they bother writing books against the existence of God? Or waste time preparing videos for YouTube that ridicule God? Or fund ads on the side of London buses?
      In fact, why do atheists bother acknowledging that people believe in God at all? People believe all sorts of ridiculous things that atheists don't care about, so why does it matter to them if one of those things is God?
      Interestingly, the Bible gives some answers to this.
      Psalm 14:1 says, “The fool has said in his heart, There is no God.” Atheists may be brilliant scholars or academics. They may be wonderful inventors, surgeons, or scientists. But if they say there is no God they are declaring themselves fools in spiritual matters. This is why atheism is sometimes called the fool's philosophy.

If atheists know in their hearts that there really is a God, but they don't want to be accountable to God for their actions, then it starts to make sense why they try so hard to convince others that God doesn't exist.
      This also explains why no-one bothers speaking out against belief in mermaids, pixies, and werewolves. People do not have the truth of these mythical creatures written in their hearts or on their conscience. Nor does nature declare anything about the majesty and power of leprechauns or hobgoblins.
      So atheists must know intuitively that God exists. They just want to convince themselves and others that He doesn't exist because if He does it means they have made the worst decision of their lives to reject Him. And that has eternal consequences that are too horrible to contemplate.
      God wants us to come to Him. He offers salvation to all, and has given two magnificent evidences of Himself. One is the overwhelming evidence of His physical creation all around us, and the other is the imprint of His existence in our conscience

July 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm |

David Johnson,

July 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm |
    • civiloutside

HeIsGod is having a lot of fun beating this horse. Too bad it has little to do with reality. People do, in fact, invest effort in arguing against the existence of pixies, mermaids, and werewolves, and the reason atheists invest more effort arguing against the existence of God is extremely simple: because believers in God spend far more effort trying to cram belief in him down our throats than believer in pixies, mermaids, and werewolves do.

July 26, 2010 at 11:30 am |

@CatholicMom

You said, "God has provided food aplenty for the whole world. Children are starving because of man and his greed. You seem to want to look to God with hate in your heart; why is that?"

Yes, the women in the picture look like they have had "food a plenty". When they thank god for their food, why doesn't he "suggest" they eat half and give the other half to the starving? Ans. – Because there is no god. When they thank their god, they feel like he is happy with them. But isn't gluttony a sin? It is all in their minds.

I do not look at god with hate in my heart. I do not believe he exists. And I am right.

July 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm |

David Johnson,

July 27, 2010 at 11:44 am |

@CatholicMom

You said, "Yes, gluttony is a sin. I am glad you are one who is aware and probably eats accordingly. You probably donate money to worthy organizations who try to get food to the poor and starving of the world; if so, your conscience is doing you good."

You keep missing the points. The women believe when they say grace, that god is pleased with them doing so. If god existed, wouldn't he withhold positive feelings? Where is the divine guidance?

Remember when the doctor was murdered while attending his church? He had performed abortions, which made him a target for the unstable religious.

The doctor was in church. He obviously prayed to god many times. Why, if abortion is evil, didn't god tell him not to do it? Why no nightmares?

The doctor had not run from god, seeking to hide his evil deeds. He went to a house of god and prayed. Where was the divine guidance?

July 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm |

David Johnson,
      You don’t know what intervention takes place between a person and God when they are praying….you can’t say, ‘Look, they believe God is pleased with them and they now are feeling all warm and fuzzy’, or, ‘See, God has told them to donate money or time to alleviate the suffering of the poor and as soon as they are finished eating they will be reminded of their earlier thoughts and do the good deed.’

Yes, I remember the doctor. You don’t know if the doctor prayed or not. You don’t know if he did pray that he listened to the answers or not. You don’t know if he was asking for a way out of the killing, asking for forgiveness, or asking for a more lucrative area to work in. You don’t know anything about the doctor and his relationship with God. Perhaps he was thanking God for all the Moms or potential Moms that came to him, and was asking God to keep the flow coming; or perhaps end the flow as he didn’t want to do it anymore because it was bothering his conscience. Perhaps, not; maybe his conscience was killed along with the babies over time….You really don’t know why he was in church that day…..the divine guidance that you were looking for could have been ignored along with other prodding over time but he may have wanted to pray for guidance so went to church that day asking for it. You just don’t know.
      Too bad that killer had gone to the church and killed the doctor, taking away his chance at changing his ways on his own...or maybe he had already done that just before he died.
      Killing is never the answer whether it be killing of babies or adults.

July 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm |

@CatholicMom

You can give a thousand reasons why, but the fact remains that people "feel" the way they want to. It is all in their own minds.

July 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  15. David Johnson

Did anyone notice that the food container, of the woman on the right, is mostly empty? I guess she does her praying after the food is eaten. Smart girl!

July 23, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • HoneyBee

Smart and technically correct.
      Deuteronomy 8:10 And thou shalt eat and be satisfied, and bless the LORD thy God for the good land which He hath given thee.
      So the proper thing to do is to eat and then give your thanks.

July 23, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • HeIsGod

@ HoneyBee – AMEN!!! I give thanks to God before and sometimes after! Praise His Gracious Name!

July 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm |

David Johnson,
      Maybe the woman with some food already eaten had already said her thanksgiving prayer before her friends arrived; nothing wrong with saying another prayer during the meal or after!

July 27, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  16. verify

I wouldn't call it 'praying', but I used to mumble some words to pacify the religious family members. They are all dead now, so, no, I do not do it any more. (And yes, I did feel like a hypocrite).

July 23, 2010 at 2:15 pm |
    • David Johnson

You shouldn't have felt like a hypocrite. It made the people you love happy.

I salute you!

July 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
    • Gary

verify, I salute you too!

July 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  17. David Johnson

I do, if we have company or are eating at a restaurant. Otherwise I don't.

July 23, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
    • Gary

David Johnson ,exactly out of respect and calmness

July 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm |

David and Gary,

July 25, 2010 at 10:32 am |

@CatholicMom

You said, "That is good.....you can also find this same respect and calmness when you eat alone........because God will join you at mealtime even if it is just you eating an apple!"

Your statement is cute, but it lacks reality.

Does god also join the the people in poor nations who eat grass to ease the hunger pains? Is he there, smiling lovingly, when they drink water contaminated by feces?

Your posting show a very Polyanna like view of life. The reality is quite different.

July 26, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • Kate

July 26, 2010 at 6:30 pm |

@Kate

You said, "Do you switch gods depending on your visitors? If a pagan is sitting next to you, are you praying to his god?

Otherwise, what's the point? To keep someone from frowning at you? Personally I've never observed anyone stopping to pray in a restaurant, even people that I know stop to pray when they sit down at my table."

Actually Kate I agree with you. My statement about only praying when someone could see me, but not when they couldn't, was supposed to be a play on: Mat 6:5 And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the open streets so that they may be seen of men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

July 26, 2010 at 6:50 pm |
  18. S. Johnson

Yes I do, it's necessary. I have so much to be thankful and grateful for. I thank the God of my salvation for blessings I realize and those I don't. I thank the God of my salvation for ALL of my blessings. For He is an awesome God and He reigns.

July 23, 2010 at 1:43 pm |

@S. Johnson

You said, "For He is an awesome God and He reigns"

Really? How many other gods have you known? I mean, to compare your god with.

Woody Allen once said, "If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

July 23, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  19. D-Dark

Ummm... no. Why should I? What an absurd ritual. Even in that picture. Before we eat, lets close our eyes, hold hands, and talk to a ghost? Am I in the real world anymore? What is this nonsense.

July 23, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Interestingly, the Bible gives some answers to this.

July 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
    • David Johnson

Are you beginning to understand? Atheists are being attacked.

Our children will need to compete with the rest of the world. We can't have them believing in fairy tales. The rest of the world is not doing this to their kids.

July 24, 2010 at 12:21 am |

@Helsgod

You asked, "So what's different in the atheist's brain?"

Well, let's see: According to an article at CNN, evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa of the London School of Economics and Political Science has found that, "on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs." LOL, LOL God has blessed the unbelievers.

July 24, 2010 at 12:38 am |

David Johnson,

You are feeling attacked?
      You are worried that the world is believing in a fairy tale though not the whole world? You should not worry--you mentioned that you gave your daughter a Harry Potter book, and she ‘came out of it just fine’.

If the Bible is just a fairy tale, she should ‘come out of it’ with your help, unscathed. Each child learns from her parent what her parent believes and then when they grow up they realize they have a freewill also. You will see later on how well you ‘taught’ her.

July 27, 2010 at 10:22 am |

@CatholicMom

You don't understand about the attack I'm talking about. I used the story about Harry Potter and my daughter in an argument with another poster. I'm not the slightest bit worried about her, she has a good education.

The free will thing you talked about is worth a mention.

If god is all knowing, then there is no free will. Everything is predestined. If everything is predestined, we only think we have a choice. If god knows past, present and future, then he would know which flavor of ice cream cone you will have, on your 60th birthday, even before you are conceived. God would know if you will be saved or damned when you die, before your first breath.

Jesus told Peter he would deny him 3 times, before morning. Jesus told Judas he would betray him. Both of these, were predictions about future events. If either of these predictions had not come true, then Jesus/god would not be all knowing. Judas had no choice, but to betray Jesus. It was his fate. He did not sin, because he was predestined to betray Christ. He had no free will.

So, if god already knows who will be saved and who will be damned, what is the point of us living? God is allowing some to live, who he know will be burned for all eternity. Seems cruel somehow...

You can google: "The Five Points of Calvanism". This is what the Westboro Baptist people believe.

God can not be both all knowing and all powerful. The two, just can't go together. Think about it.
      God would make a change...but he already would know he was going to make a change... It would be like looking at a picture, of a picture, of a picture.

I think we do have free will. We can choose to do good for society or not. We can freely choose vanilla or chocolate. I think we have the ability to choose, but I don't think we have a god.

July 27, 2010 at 2:05 pm |

David Johnson,
      My response to your post wasn’t half as long as yours but they took it off anyway. I will try again.

You said:… ‘ If god is all knowing, then there is no free will. Everything is predestined. "The Five Points of Calvanism". This is what the Westboro Baptist people believe.’

God did not predestine before He foreknew, but for those whose merits He foresaw, He predestined the reward. You can google ‘new advent predestination’. This is what Catholics believe.

July 28, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  20. cat

Nope. Invisible sky-stalkers didn't make my food. Chick-fil-a employees did.

July 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
    • Luke

Funny you say that, considering the founder of Chick-fil-a is a strident Christian that forces his dogma upon unwilling employees. Maybe you don't want to eat there anymore?

July 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
    • cat

why would I not want to eat there anymore? I don't care who made it, it's good food. Why do all you christians do nothing more than focus on faith. I know it's a 'part of your life' but... wow whatever I just wanted to enjoy some food without religion sliding down my throat, jeez.

Of all things to do around christians, I was hoping 'eating' would be safe. Nothing is safe from the godly poison.

July 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
    • Tacoma

Cat, I don't think the guy that replied to you is a christian. In fact I think he was trying to discourage you from eating there because it is a christian run business.

July 23, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Comfort says, “We don't have to prove that God exists to the professing atheist. This is because he intuitively knows that He exists. Every person has a God-given conscience. The Bible tells us that this is the 'work of the law written on their hearts'.”
      Just as every sane human being knows that it's wrong to lie, steal, kill, and commit adultery, Comfort says, they also know that God should be first in their life.

That's why you don't see groups rising up to fight against belief in werewolves. You don't see professors in universities ridiculing the existence of Santa Claus. You don't see organizations mobilizing troops to denounce bunyips, centaurs, or leprechauns.

Interestingly, the Bible gives some answers to this.

July 23, 2010 at 7:56 pm |

@Helsgod

You said, "Comfort's reasoning is this: People don't fight against something that doesn't exist, or something they don't believe exists."

I fight against religion, because you would force your beliefs on me. God doesn't exist. The religious do, and they are not tolerant.

I just got through reading a book. It had a list 3 pages long of gods that were one day worshipped, but which are now forgotten.

People like to invent gods. They are not drawn to any particular god. The Muslims believe as strongly in their god as you do in yours. As parents we "make" our children little Baptist or little Catholics or little hindus. No child is born a Muslim.

There have been tribes in rain forests that have had no contact with the outside world. The worship nature. None were found to be Christian.

Comfort's (I'm guessng Ray Comfort), argument is silly. Dawkins and others fight against the fundies, because the fundies would stagnate science. If you were content to stay out of politics and education, no one would care.

July 24, 2010 at 12:17 am |

David,

July 25, 2010 at 10:25 am |

@CatholicMom

You said, "Those tribesmen are some that have not heard the Word of God, the Good News, as Jesus had commissioned the Apostles to go out and teach and Baptize; the work is still in progress. I just hope they hear it first from one who has been SENT so they get it straight, not deluted or twisted."

You bet! God forbid that we should leave them alone. We must teach them about the Catholic/Christian god!
      In the past the Catholic church has lovingly guided the ignorant toward the faith. These efforts were called: inquisitions, the Crusades, slaughter of Jews, killing of protestants. LOL. Yep, we'll round 'em up for Jesus one way or another.

July 26, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
    • C Reighton

No matter what your believe about an afterlife, in THIS life, I doubt you could convince me that Chik-Fil-a is "good food". haha

July 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
    • Kate

Helsgod, you are a bigger atheist than any self professed atheist commenting on these forums. You tell yourself that every other god does not exist except the one you hand picked for the mere reason he appealed to you. The rest of us simply don't believe in them.

You don't sound any more sure of your god than the proselytizers of other gods, in fake, you sound less sure than some, since you don't have a knife in your teeth ready to spill blood of the heretics.

You are all talk and no show in the religion biz.

July 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm |

David Johnson,
      Are you saying…..tribesmen and all those who were lovingly guided into the Catholic Church in the past were ignorant? Or just ignorant about Jesus?

July 27, 2010 at 10:09 am |

@CatholicMom

Ignorant of the Catholic/Christian faith, but don't miss the point.

July 27, 2010 at 11:55 am |