home
RSS
July 23rd, 2010

Do you pray before meals?

Your faith may or may not dictate what's on your plate, but how about what comes before? Take a poll on our sister blog, Eatocracy, and let us know!

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Culture & Science

1. NL

"...atheism is not a conscious act of turning away from all gods. It is simply the final destination for those who think. ...you will be pleased to discover that the sky does not fall down on your head. ... if you still want to pray, you can (the success rate of your prayers is unlikely to change)." Guy P. Harrison

July 26, 2010 at 12:26 am |
  2. Gary

I am not a religious person. In fact agnostic. I still pray. I am praying for the missing navy soldier in Afganistan and his family.

July 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  3. David M

The United States was founded on the foundational bedrock of religion. In fact, our founding fathers relied heavily on there faith during the transition from becoming a colony to free and independent states. Our Declaration supports that.

Although we are all free to worship (or not) whoever or whatever we want, this country was founded deeply by faith. Sorry, but that's the way it is. This is a fact. It's funny isn't it, atheists have the freedom to choose no religion because of religious principles and faith.

That said, it's kind of interesting that they attack christianity with such vigor and assertiveness. If you don't choose God, that's fine. I will still pray for you whether you know it or not.

July 25, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
    • Trish C.

If you don't choose God, what do you choose in God's place? What will you make your vocation, or are you just killing time?

July 25, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
    • Noble9

Trish C. – there are more gods than Yahweh.

July 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
    • dalis

@ Noble9 Yes, but an atheist doesn't believe in them either, so the question still stands.

July 26, 2010 at 1:29 am |

Trish C.,
      Perhaps Noble9 is referring to the gods of money, lust, and other vices and perversions.

July 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  4. Reality

Blessed o god and these gifts of evolution!!! Amen

July 25, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  5. Trish C.

The faithful are very good at giving thanks for the food that sustains them, and that's perfectly fine. I would encourage them and everyone to grow in awareness of where their food comes from and how it is produced and to take an active role as good stewards of the earth and promoters of human rights in labor.

July 25, 2010 at 12:42 am |
  6. Woody

That “Atheist evil woman” simply wanted the US Government to abide by the US Constitution. When I was in school, a long time ago, every school day would start with reading from the King James bible and then we would recite the Protestant version of the Lord’s Prayer. So you see, the government was not only sanctioning religion, it was sanctioning a specific religion. A direct violation of the First Amendment. There were kids in the class that were not Protestant or not even Christian that were being force-fed the Protestant religion. Can you see the problem here? Madelyn Murray filed a lawsuit to protect everyone’s rights. If they can start chipping away at the Constitution in one area, they can do it in other areas. Much to the chagrin of the bible thumpers, the US Supreme Court agreed with here. Instead of vilifying her, you should be thanking here. If you think it was necessary for her to repent her “sins”, you have a problem with reality.

July 25, 2010 at 12:21 am |

Woody,

I love every word you wrote. We really need to register and then vote to rid our govenment of the religious right puppets – the Republicans. If we allow them to, they will turn this great country into a land run by the Taliban like religious right.

I salute you sir!

July 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  7. Gatortarian

Pray? Nay, dressing in full pirate regalia before partaking is enough for the great Flying Spaghetti Monster (May Sauce Be Upon You)

RAmen

July 24, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
    • Kate

And be blessed by the holy hooves of the IPU

July 26, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  8. TheRationale

The only known effect of praying before a meal: the food gets cold.

July 24, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  9. jmb2fly

If you are offended by the sight of people praying over their food; showing thanks and humility for what they have; then you must have way too much time on your hands. Either that or you harbor such irrational anger of Christianity in your heart that you really should seek professional help. 🙂

July 24, 2010 at 12:46 am |
    • Daniel

Like Christians are the only ones who pray?

I thank the spirits of the plants and animals that died so that I might eat. I thank the wind that brought the rain to let the plants grow and the animals graze. I thank the living Earth that gave life to all, and a home to all, and receives all back to Herself after death. I thank the ancestors whose cleverness found what things were good to eat, how to hunt, gather, cultivate, domesticate them. I ask for wisdom to live in balance, to give as much as I take, and to remember that I am part of a greater whole.

Maybe none of those things can hear me, but it is good for me to think about, rather than just taking my dinner for granted. And even agnostics and atheists cannot deny the existence of plants, animals, the water cycle, the Earth, human innovation over pre-history and history, or the interconnectedness of living systems. They may not care to meditate on it in reverence, but at least they can acknowledge that these are real things.

And people think Paganism is silly? How little they know!

July 24, 2010 at 12:22 pm |

Daniel,

July 25, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
    • Daniel

CatholicMom, I am sorry you do not recognize the validity and worth of religious experiences that are different from your own. This is my practice, and I am fulfilled by it. I pray differently, but I pray. You may believe as you feel your conscience guides you, but do not presume to tell me what manner of worship is best for me.

July 25, 2010 at 10:53 pm |

@CatholicMom

You said, "Yes, and if they meditated with reverence a little longer, they may find themselves praying and thanking God for all those things that they already acknowledge......"

The Muslims thank Allah for their food. They pray with reverence. They believe in their god just as strongly as you do in yours.
      Meditating over blessings, will not lead to the Catholic/Christian god. Some poor, half naked tribesman may be thanking a tree for his food, even as we speak. Funny how only his tree god speaks to his heart. See my post to NL on this.

July 26, 2010 at 11:52 am |

David Johnson,
      That is why Jesus Christ commissioned the Apostles to go out and teach the nations and baptize them…..these tribesmen still ‘know’ in their hearts that they should be thanking ‘someone’ for the bounty. Jesus wants them to know and love Him. The tribesmen can still love the tree but they should worship God and love Him with that highest of all loves….not the love we have for delicious food but a love of worship that is only for God.

July 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  10. HeIsGod

@ David Johnson
    First of all, with all respect, this is a religious forum, we didn’t go looking for you, came looking for us. Atheists are very intolerant with us as well. I will never, ever want to follow a forum that has to do with just Atheism. It would be a waste of my time. So, you read this book that was written by man but than Atheist claim that the Bible was written by men, which is true, but it was inspired by the Spirit of God, and decide that the book you read has more evidence than the Holy Bible? God has never forgotten us, we have forgotten Him. No one is born believing in God, God has already written His evidence in the very heart of every child and as he/she grow older, he/she will decide to follow Him or reject Him.

July 24, 2010 at 12:35 am |

@Helgod

I see nothing posted, that says this is a Christian only forum.

I replied to your earlier post, but it was deleted or not accepted. Don't know why.
      It was really a good post to. Oh well..

July 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • David Johnson

Funny how both of my replies to you, were deleted. This also happened when I replied to you on another day.

There is an expression, "If its too hot, get out of the kitchen".

Cheers!

July 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm |

@Helsgod

You said, "So, you read this book that was written by man but than Atheist claim that the Bible was written by men, which is true, but it was inspired by the Spirit of God, and decide that the book you read has more evidence than the Holy Bible?

There is no evidence that the bible was inspired by the Spirit of God, other than the book saying that it is. God is perfect. The Spirit of God would have to be perfect. If the bible is inspired by the Spirit of God, then by definition it must be perfect. If the bible contains errors then, it was not inspired by a perfect God.

The books and papers, written by scientists, are written using evidence derived from the scientific method (google moment). No one ever says "I feel in my heart, that it is true." They would be laughed out of the scientific community.

Feelings of the heart are evidently only useful in matters of faith. Faith itself is defined as: Firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

Science does not say there is a god. Science does not say there is no god.

God has never forgotten us, we have forgotten Him. No one is born believing in God, God has already written His evidence in the very heart of every child and as he/she grow older, he/she will decide to follow Him or reject Him."

July 24, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Yes, and when the conscience is ignored, the person is apt to pursue evil instead.
      We can have faith that God’s mercy will reopen the hardened heart, we can have hope that the Holy Spirit will work a miracle on the cold heart; we can help by living a life that demonstrates God’s mercy towards others, remembering that it is not us doing good but the Holy Spirit working through us.

July 24, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
    • NL

David Johnson-
      You wrote "No one is born believing in God, God has already written His evidence in the very heart of every child and as he/she grow older, he/she will decide to follow Him or reject Him."

You're right! Everyone is born an atheist. They only come to believe in God through the organized deception of adults who are able to convince children that such a preposterous character exists because kids innocently trust them. You know, the exact same way we get kids to believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny is the way adults get kids to believe in God. Lucky for some of us we grow out of it.

Once again, atheists have not chosen to reject God. We just realized that he wasn't really there to begin with. If we rejected anything we rejected spreading the idea that he is real.

July 25, 2010 at 12:29 am |

@NL

You said, that I said,

Someone else said that. I had copied it to make a comment and forgot to delete it before posting. mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

No one is born believing in God. Where the child lives and What his parents believe are the biggest factors in what the child will believe. If a child is born in Iran and his parents are Muslim, the child will be Muslim. In the U.S. the child will be Christian. There have been tribes in the rain forests, that have had no outside contact. They worship nature. Children do not have a predisposition toward one religion or another. To claim that "God has already written His evidence in the very heart of every child" is rubbish.

July 25, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
    • NL

@David Johnson
      Agreed, but while some people may change their faith in adulthood, become non-practicing, or even atheistic, most will remain with the beliefs they were taught as children. Even amongst those inclined to disbelieve as grown ups, many will remain with the family religion for reasons having nothing to do with believing in its truth. Loyalty, community ties, "for the children's sake", or even because they are just afraid of what people will think of them if they admit to any doubts whatsoever.

Let's admit one thing, religious folks, you certainly do not make it easy for anyone to leave the flock. It's like the quote from the movie "The Godfather" "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in". A great many atheists like me had to struggle out from under the family faith. I just count myself lucky that I didn't choose to fill the void with another flawed religion, like many seeking something better do.

July 26, 2010 at 12:21 am |
  11. HeIsGod

@ David Johnson

Well David, according to the Word of God, there is only One God and beside Him, there is none other. God is a jealous God and He will not be mocked by those who follow other “gods”. That is why we see so many in this generation being lost to drugs, early parenthood, etc. God will tolerate anyone for following other gods and/or idols. Our children need to know about the Son of God, Jesus Christ, being God Himself. It was an Atheist evil woman that took the prayer of school out and was found dead. I know with all of my heart, her soul is in torment for what she did. But anyways, if we keep our faith at home or in our churches, we would be out of the Will of God. He sends us to preach the Gospel of the Good News to those that are being held in captivity by Satan and his demons. But it is always a free choice for one to accept Christ or reject Him.

July 24, 2010 at 12:33 am |
    • CatholicMom

We cannot judge the soul of the Atheist woman who fought to get pray out of school. We can hope that she repented of her sin before she died as we hope we all do, and we do not know if she did or not, but God knows and it is up to Him to make that final judgment, not us.

July 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm |

@CatholicMom

I do not agree with you. I could refute much of what you posted.

But, there is something undefinable about you. A gentleness. Is it god? I don't know.

At any rate, I will not argue with you. Cheers!

July 24, 2010 at 11:39 pm |

@CatholicMom

I changed my mind about not challenging your statements.

The woman you and Helsgod are speaking about is Madeline Murray O'Hare. The woman was a true patriot.

About 75% of Americans are Christian. 25% are not. Do we pray only to the Evangelical Christian god, as the religious right would have us do? The Muslims and Atheists and all the rest of the 25% of non-Christians would be excused, or allowed to put their heads on their desks? Would this help society? Can't we all just get along?

Another alternative would be to pray to all the gods, in alphabetical order. This would lend to harmony, but would eat into the school day. School day, where the children learn truth.

No, our founding fathers were wise (especially Jefferson). They opted for a separation of church and state. Prayer has no business in public schools.

Religious indoctrination, should be done in the home, in the Church and Sunday schools, in religious training classes (Catechism), summer bible schools, etc. ad infinitum.

You should be rejoicing that Ms. O'hair was successful. The Evangelical, Born Again, Religious Right are not especially fond of Catholocism. You might find your head on the desk...

July 26, 2010 at 11:39 am |

David Johnson,

I am well aware of the fact that protestants are still protesting; however many have seen what a mess man has made of it; so now they are protesting religion and saying they don’t need it because they can each be his own pope without going to a Church with dogma. They still take the Bible with them, even though they have thrown out Books, changed words, added some and removed some. Some have gone so far as to still call themselves Christians even though they exclude core beliefs such as the Trinity and Mary as Mother of God.
      If it came to that, where they would have me laying my head down on my desk while they prayed, I would use that time to include them in my prayers.

July 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • David Johnson

I'm not going to get into an argument about which religion is the less worthless. They are all made up by man.

July 28, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  12. PRF

I do a lot, but not as often as I should.

July 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  13. james hotz

I pray to myself, and God knows I'm thankful for just being alive, and well, as It could be a famin , if it weren't for the potatoe many Europeans would have starved to death, I'm sure God appreciaates us ackowledgeing the fact that he put all this food here for us to enjoy. Bon apatete.

July 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  14. HeIsGod

David Johnson
    Thank you Jesus for my bottled water and my big gulp and this 500 calorie salad...

Another mother might be praying, "Please god, give me a crust of bread for my child. Let me find water that is not contaminated.

How much god blesses seems to be determined on where you live and how much you make. God loves the rich, best.

David, do you really think that God prefers rich people than poor or middle class people? I am not earthly rich, but I am heavenly rich, something that most rich people don't have. The poor or middle class people are loved by God! Not all rich people will inherit the kingdom of God, just like not all poor or middle class people. God demands our obedience, not sacrifice. He is a Loving God who cares for us, but do we care for Him? How can one expect blessings through disobedience?

July 23, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
    • Lou

@HelsGod..hes a loving god who cares for us?!!?!?!?!? you believe he put us here in a violent universe, where the earth will eventually be swallowed by the sun, where asteroids have pounded the earth for millions of years causing mass exctinction(99% of all oraganisms to exist are extinct), he didnt show up until 190,000yrs after the first homosapien. God is so loving his natural disasters; hurricanes, tornadoes, mud slides, floods, famine, plague, disease/illness, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, drought, freezing cold etc. etc... have killed billions of people BILLIONS! do you read the paper in the morning or watch the news or just the bible over and over... do you see what is on there. how about last year in mexico when there was a fire at a daycare center killing innocent children and parents were driving their cars into the building to save them.. where was god? where was god when "good" pastors and preists are raping and molesting young boys and girls. where is he? if he is loving and does nothing, why worship him? as for prayer before eating; something had to die before we ate it, did god not listen to their prayers to feed us? homosapiens who destroy this earth, overuse its natural resources, and kill billions of pounds of animals/fish every year (his "creations"). if anything i would say god hates humans, not loves them. what about if i killed you and ate you, then prayed to god because he provided me some food. thatd be something huh.

July 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm |

Lou,
      God is good. Satan is evil.
      Jesus said, ‘take up thy cross’. Suffering=grace; Jesus suffered for us, willingly.
      When there is evil done by satan, show your compassion for your brother in pain, sorrow, sickness, loss, etc. and give a helping hand. Don’t expect God to do for you what you should be doing……He has already done great things for you……share your talents……

July 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm |

@CatholicMom

You said, "Do not fall into satan’s trap of getting you to curse God for all of satan’s evil works."

Satan was invented by man, to explain the horrible things that happen in life. They found it difficult to thank and praise a god that had just devastated a villiage of good people. So, why not have an evil "deity" that does the dirty work? Yep, that works.

There is no Satan. No demonic possession. Nothing under the bed. All the bad things have natural causes. Trust me!

July 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm |

David Johnson,
      Well, maybe, but that was just the last time you looked...........................................

July 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
  15. HeIsGod

Of course I do. He is the one that supplies all of my needs according to His reaches in Glory!

Philippians 4: v19: “But my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in Glory by Christ Jesus.”

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth" (Ps121: 1-2).

July 23, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
  16. David Johnson

July 23, 2010 at 5:17 pm |

David,
      Due to greed, man spreads the abundance of peanut butter unevenly so some parts of the bread get very little if any. Others get too much and are wasteful. This is not God’s fault. It is a man-made problem. Man thinks to solve the problem is killing off some of the people [abortion] so there are less eating the peanut butter….results? Still, people want more of the peanut butter and do not want to share the abundance.

It is man’s GREED that is the problem. Stop blaming God.

July 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |

@CatholicMom

You said, "If you think of the world as a slice of bread, God provides the peanut butter to cover over it…..man does the spreading of the peanut butter over the bread.

I might agree with you, if god were left out of the equation. Man has never been willing to "share the wealth". Just ask the racist Republicans. By the way, vote for the Dems if you care at all for the poor and middle class.

The problem is, god is said to be all good, all powerful, all knowing, etc. Hmmm...

If god is able to stop the hunger but doesn't, how can he be all good? If god wants to stop the hunger but can't, then how can he be all powerful?

Let me ask you this, "How different do you think the world would look if there was no god?"

Now, you might say, "He will stop the hurt!. Jesus is coming! Evil will be gone from the earth!

Problem is, it has been 2000 years and counting. Lots and lots of suffering in that 2000 years.
      Each generation has believed the 2nd coming would happen in their lifetimes. *sigh*

So, we sit and eat our super sized meals, that are killing us. We give thanks before and after eating. We get a warm feeling from god, beause we are thankful for the food he has provided. If there really was a god and he was hearing and seeing this, why would he give us a warm and fuzzy feeling? Why wouldn't he express his displeasure? Ans. Cause there ain't no god.

July 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm |

@CatholicMom

"You said, "Man thinks to solve the problem is killing off some of the people [abortion] so there are less eating the peanut butter….results? Still, people want more of the peanut butter and do not want to share the abundance"

Yes, and you would reverse Roe Vs.Wade and there would be no more murder of the unborn. Except that is wrong. Women would once again have to rely on back alley procedures. This is one of the reasons I dislike the religious right. If you don't believe in abortion don't have one. Don't try to force the rest of the country to adhere to your beliefs.

Woman's body. Woman's choice.

The best way to prevent abortions, is to make birth control readily available to women ( the pill, etc). Condoms are great, because they prevent STDs, but men don't like to use condoms. We need to teach s~x ed in the schools, starting in Junior High.

When I married my wife, we decided to keep our family small. We had one daughter. I was able to provide her a good life, including college. I was able to give a larger amount of my portion of peanut butter to my daughter because she didn't have 5 siblings. I could not have afforded to send that many children to college.

Same is true of countries. China, several years ago, elected to allow only 1 child per family. Now things are changing and that is being relaxed. A country has only so many resources (peanut butter if you like). The thinner you spread the peanut butter over a population, the more the people suffer. Overcrowding causes famine, sickness, murders and environmental damage.

Birth control is the answer to this overcrowding. Telling people to abstain is absurd. I know people who have used the rhythm method. They all have more kids than is prudent. The rhythm method is too complicated for people in developing countries.
      Implanted medicine or swallowing a pill is much easier.

We need to stop basing our actions on religious dogma and instead ask, "What is best for society?"
      Letting the population of the earth to grow and grow is foolish.

July 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm |

David Johnson,
      You want man to be willing to share the wealth but to leave God out of it. That is the problem, man leaves God out of it and it is ‘each man for himself’ mentality. [survival-of-the-fittest.] Man must be willing to share the wealth and that comes from a moral/conscience stance.
      You want the Dems to steal [that is not moral] from one man to give to another. Some like the Robin Hood idea and glorify it however, God wants each man to take from the wealth that has been given to him [by God] and distribute it HIMSELF without hanging on to it like an idol [which is true caring for your brother in need].
      God has provided plentitude; man hordes, steals, prevents distribution, and is gluttonous. Man’s greed is the sin.
      How would the world look without a God, you ask? There would be no world.

July 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  17. Rebecca

no. but when i lived with my parents we prayed before dinner. (yes, i was raised in a Christian home. yes, we ate dinner as a family. yes, my parents are still married...43 years now.) now, when i visit my family we still pray before every meal we eat as a family. but i do think it is an opportunity to keep our minds and hearts focused on what is meaningful. And for those that mock and deride those who do pray, i am wondering why you express such contempt for those who attempt to practice their religion or faith. isn't tolerance the word of the day? this is your opportunity to practice what you preach. see, no one is perfect when it comes to walking the talk.

July 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
    • David Johnson

Tolerance is not the word of the day. There is a huge push by the religious left to make this a "Christian Nation". Glenn Beck and others would have us believe the founding fathers never meant to have a seperation of church and state. Texas, has accepted text books that slant history in the conservatives favor. The children will learn from these books for the next decade.

The entire bible belt would ban evolution from being taught in the schools. They would have the the Creation Story put in our biology books instead. They want the children believing in talking snakes and knowledge giving fruit.

Christians would have Roe Vs. Wade overturned. Sharron Angle believes abortion should not be allowed even in cases of incest. If the incest means you get a kid with webbed feet, its all part of god's great plan.

The religious right would allow/demand, prayer in school. But, they would not tolerate prayers to anyone but the Christian God. The children of other faiths, would be allowed to put their head down on their desks, while the one true Christian god is prayed to .

Several states in the bible belt have laws the prevent atheists from running for office. Tolerance?

If Christians were content to practice their faith in their homes and churches, I would not say a word. I would smile at them! Maybe even laugh.

July 23, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
    • Rebecca

@ David Johnson: the original question referred to praying before meals. But your response to me is a rant on the Christian religious left and the religious right here in America. I can probably understand why you make that leap, although most Christians, including those who pray before meals, fall more toward the middle than toward the extreme. But that doesn't explain why you have such a vitriolic response to people who choose to utter a few words of thanks before a meal...no matter what their faith.

July 23, 2010 at 7:18 pm |

Gee, Rebecca I could have sworn you asked:

"i am wondering why you express such contempt for those who attempt to practice their religion or faith. isn't tolerance the word of the day? this is your opportunity to practice what you preach. see, no one is perfect when it comes to walking the talk."

Silly me. It must have been another Rebecca that posted that.

July 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  18. sheetiron

It seems like there are so that deny the existence of God because they say that you cant know if God really exists. No way to know for sure if he is real or not. So glad I dont have problem.

July 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
    • sheetiron

In short, once you have had an expeirence with the Creator. Once you have entered into a real intimate relationship with him, all this talk about proof, evidecene, the ability to prove, etc, etc, just becomes irrelevent conversation.

July 23, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
    • Mr.

Believing in God is the problem. Choosing not to question your beliefs because they are your security blanket is not liberation, its ignorance. Ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to hate, hate leads to all the negative things that has ever happened.

July 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
    • sheetiron

Whats to question? I KNOW God exists because I have expeirienced him. I have a meaningful, real, intimate relationship with him. I have been changed inside and out. God himself has entered my body and lives there. I live out my life by the power of his Holy Spirit. How could I EVER quetion my belief in God?

July 23, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Many Atheist and Agnostics are cruel, bitter, angry, lifeless and lost! They love to attack God and His people. There are very few respectful Atheist; it is very rare that we have them. I have posted great information about Atheists and they get deleted by them and they get offended? They do know that what I say is NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH! Hmmmm, truth does really hurt when it is told! They think that they have life really figured out when in fact, they know NOTHING!!
      May God help them and deliver them from demonic forces of darkness that has kept them bound in spiritual chains. May Jesus Christ save their souls that are eternity damn if they don't repent!

July 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm |

@Helsgod

Never, ever, would I delete any comment made by anyone. If something is posted I can't "handle", then it sucks to be me.

July 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm |

HeIsGod,

I don’t think you meant it literally that they [atheists and agnostics] are ‘lost’; as long as they are still alive they have as much chance at repentance as you and I have. We cannot judge their souls…..we never know their actually ‘standing’ with God; so God will do the judging at the moment of death of their body they will know their eternity.

We must however judge people’s actions and words and decide if those actions and words are examples for us to follow or not. The gift of our conscience will be our guide, thanks be to God.

July 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
    • sheetiron

I dont thik he means Lost forever. Just in a current state of lost in their unrepentant life of disobedience and rebellion towards God. Ofcourse there is a chance and I certainly hope they will repent and put their faith in Christ. But as of now, they are in a "lost" state.

July 25, 2010 at 6:14 am |

Sheetiron,
      HeIsGod has, on other postings said that 'they' or 'so-and-so' is going to Hell, so it almost sounded to me as if that is what he/she means when saying they are 'lost'. I hope you are right....

July 25, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • sheetiron

This is true I suppose. I guess this person should remember that although each and every person stands guilty before a holy and righteous God, deserving of Hell, that they can be saved if they will only repent and put their faith in Christ.

July 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm |

sheetiron,
      I believe that even though atheists may claim ‘there is no God’ that even as they say this, their heart is refuting it. We cannot ever judge their soul because only God knows their heart. They are our brother and we can always have hope for them as we do for ourselves.

July 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
  19. max pargs

Oh yeah and to Gary: there is no such thing as a Christian child.

Your child may be the son of you, a christian, but to say that they can form complex opinions on origin of the Universe and all its complexities is as irrational as saying your child is a republican child (just as they'd be too young to form logical opinions on the economy and foreign relations).

Give intelligence a chance, and let your child decide for himself/herself as s/he grows up.

July 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
    • Gary

max pargs ?, what are you talking about? I am ANGOSTIC . My wife and kids are christian cause that is what they choose to believe @ this time...thats fine with me

July 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
    • Gary

Max Pargs, Gary

My family prays before meals . Even as an agnostic I do pray to a higher power. I do a lot of meditating and relaxation before excercise and meals. My wife and kids are Christians and thats fine with me. I just cant worship much less believe in a lord I have never met,seen or heard from. I am thankful for family,food,friends and nature ..

July 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply

July 23, 2010 at 4:32 pm |

max prags,
      No one enters Heaven unless they have a heart like a child’s….

July 25, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  20. Bill

I'm always amazed at the tendency of those who don't believe in God to be bothered by those who do. They throw out these so-called "studies" and "statistics" that are so easy and readily put together to support the view of whatever group conducted the study. And as far as providing a "peer reviewed" study is concerned, well now, what person with deeply held religious convictions can get a paper published in secular institutions that have a track record of hostility toward people of faith???

I also notice that it's always Christians who the atheists rail against with great distain. Why is it we never seem to hear of their distain for Muslims, Hindus and the like? Oh, I know, because Christianity deals with something called "sin" and those in the ultra hostile secular and academia world rage at the thought of having to face a God whose word foretells of His coming judgment of their pride and self-righteousness. Face it, you're a sinner like me in need of grace! Where did your conscience come from? Did THAT evolve? What was the need in survival-of-the-fittest environment for a moral law to be at work in your mind?

It's also somewhat humorous to read posts from this crowd citing the likes of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens. Dawkins – the so called smartest man alive – states in one of his latest books, that he (and I'm paraphrasing here) has come to the conclusion that there HAD TO BE A CREATOR (of some sort) and that our existence by any other means is mathematically impossible. The critics conveniently forget that many other great minds throughout history new this long before Dawkins: Isaac Newton, C.S. Lewis, et. al

I used to be an atheist myself, but I realized that it required much more faith to remain a believer in it than it did to believe in a God who created me as an object of His wondrous love and who wants to have a loving, caring and grace-filled relationship with me. I love Him and I will serve Him. Nothing can separate me from His love!

July 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
    • Tacoma

well said.

July 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
    • David Johnson

I have all of Dawkins books. Dawkins does not believe in god. Any god. Sorry dude.

But even if he did, Even if everyone on earth except me, believed, it would not make it so.

July 24, 2010 at 12:33 am |

@Bill

You said, " also notice that it's always Christians who the atheists rail against with great distain. Why is it we never seem to hear of their distain for Muslims, Hindus and the like?"

I think it is mostly due to the fact that around 76% of the U.S. is Christian. The Christian Right wants to rule the country. The other religions seem to be content, just being members of society.

On a cheerier note, I do not believe in any of the other gods either.

July 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Your story reminds me of Jesus’ great love for every one of His children no matter who they are or what they believe; Jesus is the Good Shepherd who will leave the 99 sheep in the desert to go in search of the 1 lost sheep. Atheists say they want nothing to do with God but that doesn’t stop God from searching them out.
      He will wrap His arms around the lost one and engulf him with His love….all the while they are kicking and screaming, ‘Let go of me!’ But He will not stop trying to bring each one home until He is sure that they want nothing to do with Him. He will keep searching them out because He knows they may just be caught in a thicket….

July 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm |

Bill,
      you are so right! In the survival-of-the-fittest, we would have people thinking ever more strongly ‘what must I do to be on top and beat out the other guy’ instead of ‘what must I do to insure that my brother is taken care of regardless of how it affects my life’. Moral law would be extinguished.

July 27, 2010 at 12:40 pm |