home
RSS
July 31st, 2010

Church plans Quran-burning event

In protest of what it calls a religion "of the devil," a nondenominational church in Gainesville, Florida, plans to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The Dove World Outreach Center says it is hosting the event to remember 9/11 victims and take a stand against Islam. With promotions on its website and Facebook page, it invites Christians to burn the Muslim holy book at the church from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

"We believe that Islam is of the devil, that it's causing billions of people to go to hell, it is a deceptive religion, it is a violent religion and that is proven many, many times," Pastor Terry Jones told CNN's Rick Sanchez earlier this week.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Florida • Islam • Quran • United States

1. Rev. Schaeffer

Pastor Jones, instead of pulling a stunt like this to hawk your new book (and hats and t-shirts and coffee mugs... burn a Qur'an and get 10% off?) I recommend reflecting upon the following:

A Biased Mind Cannot Grasp Reality

{dalailama.com/messages/religious-harmony}

(Excerpts from His Holiness the Dalai Lama's address to the inter-faith seminar organised by the International Association for Religious Freedom, Ladakh Group, in Leh on 25 August.)

One person posed an exercise and quoted [Quran 111:3] earlier, wondering what enlightenment it could bring. Perhaps, Pastor, you may also wish to consider in depth the story of Abu Lahab (father of the flame) and why Muhammad(pbuh) was so upset with him. (I'm sorry if the random verse you selected turned out to be much more fitting than you suspected, GoodAtheist... God is Great! ;D)

"For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another." – Romans 14:17-19[NASB]

السلام عليكم

August 1, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
    • Reality

Ahh, the Dalai Lama con!! How can anyone read the following and not think otherwise.

In Tibetan Buddhism, the Dalai Lama is believed to be an incarnation of Avalokitesvara, the Buddha of Compassion; when the Dalai Lama dies, his soul is believed to pass into the body of an infant. Upon recognition, Lhama Dhondrub was renamed Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso, and is referred to as Yeshe Norbu, the Wishfulfilling Gem or Kundun.

Some other great cons, the mythical Gabriel talking to the "fasting" Mohammed, the resurrection of the simple preacher man aka Jesus, Moses parting of the Red Sea, Joe Smith and his mythical angel, Moroni.

August 2, 2010 at 12:41 am |
    • Rev. Schaeffer

The Dalai Lama believes in reincarnation?! Oh no, I've been scammed! As a rational person I must therefore reject everything he says as utter nonsense. [/sarcasm] You mock me for my faith, responding to a message of harmony with one of discord, yet would have me trust that *your* incomplete understanding of the universe is the sole source of wisdom. Do you not see the ironies in what you preach? Perhaps you should take a little time off from trolling religious blogs with your evangelical anti-theism and try reading the message, instead of copy/pasting a brief segment of his biography that you believe (but cannot prove) to be untrue in order to support your fallacious premise. Josef Mengele tortured and killed many thousands of people in the name of science, but this does not prove that all scientists are evil. One's acceptance or rejection of such "fables and fairy tales" as reincarnation, eternal life, prophets, god(s) or angels does not determine their capacity to act with compassion, tolerance, humility and respect.

August 2, 2010 at 3:53 am |
    • Reality

Rev. Schaeffer,

You noted: "One's acceptance or rejection of such "fables and fairy tales" as reincarnation, eternal life, prophets, god(s) or angels does not determine their capacity to act with compassion, tolerance, humility and respect."

That is correct but without said fables and fairy tales aka con jobs, there would be no religions and no need for the mumbo-jumbo of the Dalai Lama. And as humans we do not need these mouth pieces in order to act with "compassion, tolerance, humility and respect". And shame on us for putting up with the trappings of the DLs of the world!!!

August 3, 2010 at 12:14 am |
    • Rev. Schaeffer

I am not one of those gullible fools who blindly accepts every silly bit of dogma that crosses my path, but neither am I so naive as to think that eliminating all religion from the world is going to result in peace among all people. I will continue to study these "fables and fairy tales" of faith throughout my life, just as I study purely scientific disciplines, because I have not been deluded (conned, as it were) into thinking that I have it all figured out. I recognize that I will always have something new to learn and am flexible enough to adapt my philosophy as wisdom dictates.

I, personally, am not offended by what Pastor Jones is doing, but I recognize that there are those who might be. I shared that particular article because I felt it had direct relevance to the topic at hand, and on the off chance that he might actually be listening. I included an appropriate Bible passage not because it is sacred to me, but because it is sacred to him. I don't add (pbuh) when I speak of the Prophet because I am Muslim, but because it is a measure of respect towards those who are. That was the lesson in my original post. If people wish to learn from it, that is good. If they wish to ignore it, that is also good.

I'm not trying to change your point of view, I'm simply expressing mine. I have read your contributions to these blogs and I consider your insights just as I would any others, but I have no vested interest in what you believe and would not have bothered to trouble you with my opinions had you not directly engaged me. I wish you peace and good fortune in your own quest of understanding. =)

"The very purpose of religion is to control yourself, not to criticize others. Rather, we must criticize ourselves. How much am I doing about my anger? About my attachment, about my hatred, about my pride, my jealousy? These are the things which we must check in daily life." ~ more mumbo-jumbo from His Holiness the Dalai Lama

August 3, 2010 at 2:31 am |
    • TammyB

@Reality....Are you related to Bill Maher? He goes as far as most religious extremists do in NOT believing in religion. I must admit, I don't believe in organized religion at all. But I have always believed that people need to believe in what comforts them in life and death. Why do you feel the need to call all peoples beliefs "myths", "cons" and "stories"? Why not just let them be? An extremist atheist or agnostic is no different than an extremist religious nut if they push their beliefs on everyone else, and downgrade everyone else's beliefs. Why feel the need to belittle someone's beliefs?

August 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm |
  2. abder

by burning the holy Qoran you making a big mistake in your life and you may regret it.
    i wont feel sorry for you.

August 1, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  3. Mark from Middle River

Wolf – when you say the "church" should apologize for the burning of witches, which church are you speaking of.

Truthfully I grow tired of everyone asking for apologies from folks that were not alive or even their grandparents were alive when the offense occured. In the end I do not believe it brings peace or clousure. My church is African Methodist. Do you feel that I or my church should apologize for past Christian bad acts?

August 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  4. TheRationale

I doubt I'm the only one that finds it that this pastor accuses Islam of being violent as he burns books.

This is not good. This is only going to anger Muslims, and a whole lot of other people who have just a shred of class. Burning, banning, insulting, and using violence does not make anything go away. This is just perpetuating and reassuring the very people this church wishes gone and it annoys everyone else.

August 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm |
  5. Amit

Its a barbaric act,
    I am neither Muslim not Christian but i believe this is the most barbaric act I have ever seen, if you have problems with redical muslims then join army and go to afghanistan to fight, any other act will be known as coward's act, I haven't read Quran but i know for sure that it does not say anything about killing innocent people,

after this act can anyone explain what is the difference between redical christanity and redical islam?

Govt need to stop this, because "an eye for and eye makes world blind"-Ghandhi

August 1, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
    • dutchblitz1

We hear about this church wanting to burn Korans, but we didn't hear nearly as much about the Christian churches that were burned in Indonesia by Muslims in January.

domini.org/openbook/ind1296a.htm

August 1, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
    • JohnQuest

dutchblitz1, are you saying, since Muslims in Indonesia destroyed churches it is okay for Christians to burn the Qu'ran? If you are there are several things wrong with that statement. Christians can not claim the high moral ground on this or any other issue. America is a slippery slide of intolerance, next Christians will be burning Mosques across the country. Since Iran (most middle estern countries) are Muslim nation it must be okay to bomb them right off this planet. Most distrubing, this is not the ideals I fought for, America has always try to maintian it's diginty when facing adversity (notalbe exception, Japanese American Internment Camps). I was taught as a young Marine that America stood for freedom, not just the freedom for those that agree with you but for all people, this is a direct assult on the very foundation of this great country of ours.

August 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
    • dutchblitz1

JohnQuest- Absolutely not. I was not saying that at all. I was just wonder why one seems to be all over the place in the media and the other seemed to go almost unnoticed.

August 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
    • huma

why do they need join the army and kill more innocent people in afgan. they need stop pointing fingers at muslims

August 19, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  6. wolf

Reading all this and the comments about Ann Rice really scars me, This is why paganism or the old religion is the fastest growing religion in America. We have few "rules". One is "And harm none, do what you will." This means yourself- friends- enemies- the earth- and just about anything/one you can/can not think of. Covers alot doesn't it ! Another is- " What you send out comes back 3 times." Good or evil. Go ahead, burn a book that is holy to millions. I don't want to be around when THAT Karma comes back x 3! We as pagans have been hunted and killed for centuries. No proof needed. The CHURCH still won't apoligize for the witch burnings. Child abusers and Jew burnings they are sorry for, but never Witches! Don't want to talk about that. Maybe they still feel that that was OK, way down deep. Even today more than one pagan has lost home and job or livelyhood. Everyone is against US. All religions invited. I see this hate as same story, different names.
    Even with all that pagans have suffered, I still can't condone alot of these posts. It breaks my heart. Oh well, 2012 not far away. It will be interesting to see if MOM just shakes the problems out of her hair and goes on, or if this is truely a new spiritual age starting. from the age of Pisces (the fisherman,Jesus) to the age of Aquarius. Come on, let's all sing! Laugh if you will, but it's coming one way or another and soon. What's sad is that the age of Pisces didn't take hold over night, it took centuries. I just hope my grandchildren's grandchildren will have a chance to see it, this new change, a new spiritual awakening. Something needs to open these people's eyes and minds-soon!

August 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  7. Eric G

Just another bunch of rednecks trying to pick a fight. Tell you what Bubba Joe, you prove that the bible is right and you can burn all the books you want. If you can't provide proof that the bible is the word of god, you have to take (and pass) 4th grade science. Stupid people make me chuckle inside.

August 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  8. Reality

Getting "all the ducks in a row" yet again:

One more time:

Google "Muslims bible burning" to get all said references about Muslims burning the bible but note that once the "bowers" of Islam see how they have been conned by their imams and ayatollahs for the last 1400 years, they too will burn their copies of the koran i.e. the angel Gabriel never existed so there is no way that the warmongering, womanizing, and hallucinating Mohammed got any koranic passages from some god. Tis the great angelic con game. Joe Smith was the latest to pull it off with his "angelic" Moroni. The significant stupidity and gullibility of it all!!!!!

And ditto when we the "pew peasants" of Christianity finally realize the con that has been pulled on us, we too will burn our bibles. I have not burned my copy but have relegated it to the mostly fictional section of my reference library.

August 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
    • peace2all

@Reality

Hey there Reality...! It seems that you are hitting virtually every posting with the cut and paste version. As you know, you and I seem to have a similar mind set as we have discussed before.

My theme right now is to try and 'cool' the rhetoric on a lot of these posts. I know that most are aware of your postings on Islam and.....Christianity....

I was wondering if maybe there is a way we could try together and see if we could find some common ground with the 'believer'....? Just a thought.

Again, you and I are typically on the same page, and I was wondering what we might be able to do to shift things a bit....?

Again, Just a thought.... If you have no interest in a joint project, no worries....... I always enjoy posting with you....

Peace.....

August 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
    • Reality

peace2all,

My reiterations are there because it is obvious some commentators fail to read the previous notes. The reminders will continue because of their importance in reminding everyone about the "signifcant stupidity" of our being Bred, Born and Brainwashed in our various religions. Down with con jobs!! Up with common sense and rational thinking as we evolve to a kinder, gentler world!!! And peace2all, keep up the great job in your pursuit of the same goals.

August 1, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  9. peace4all

Muslims are actually peaceful people, If u look at the sources right, u will be able to find that there is no killing or harm."Love for all, hatred for none".

August 1, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
    • dutchblitz1

They are so peaceful that the riot in a dozen countries over a cartoon

August 1, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
    • Hisham

@dutchblitz1

A cartoon of what? Did you ask yourself why they get angry when you or any other people disgrace their beloved figures?

if you dont get angry for that, it doesnt mean that they should do the same as you

August 3, 2010 at 1:44 am |
  10. sam

if you dont like the poetry of a poet and want to insult him,
    what would you do ? you will kill the poet?
    OR
    would write poetry better than that, wouldn't you? this would be more insulting to the poet than killing him
    So, if some one wants to insult muslims and Islam, would he go and kill them all over the world , > a million in Iraq, > a million in afghanistan and so forth,
    OR
    would he write a book better than Quran and present it to muslims- who believe that Quran is a Miracle- a human being can not write a book like Quran,
    what makes Quran a Miracle is the challenge in it " write a book like this"
    So you dont have to kill muslims
    OR
    if you can not write a book like Quran, the challenge was made even easier- write a chapter like this Quran- and the smallest chapter in Quran has only three verses in it,
    the pagan arabs were masters in their language, there were jews who were masters of arabic language, there were christians in the arabia such as in najran who were masters of arabic language
    they made a plan to kill the prophet , to end this religion.
    but they did not write three lines like this Quran.
    they fought wars after war , hundreds of them died( not millions), but they did not the simple thing
    just write three lines like this book, you would not have to burn it or kill muslims by millions
    to make matter worse some of the verses in Quran are single letters from arabic script,
    they could not even utter single letters out of their mouth, but they took their swords out of their sheaths to wage wars.
    even today the challenge is there, wite three lines like Quran
    you have millions of jews christians whose mother tongue is arabic, and there are scholars amongst them, go ask them write three lines like Quran

August 1, 2010 at 11:50 am |
    • peace2all

@sam

My apologies for not getting you point...my fault. I am sincerely interested in your post, could you possibly elaborate and get to what you are really trying to say here....?

Thanks...

Peace....

August 1, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  11. john

lol, these posts are too funny, especially when there coming from ignorant ppl. It's too bad you can't fix stupidity.

August 1, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  12. Reality

August 1, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  13. ka

What you will get out of this,just more hate between people from all faith. Please think about it a gain.
    What we want is salam for every one and love not hate.

August 1, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  14. Numele

It is about time some in the Christian community stands up to these Muslim radicals. Sometimes it takes something unique to get the worlds attention that most of our trouble spots on this earth are sourced from radical Muslims. When you see an Arab looking for his seat on your airplane, what goes through your mind? Think about it.

August 1, 2010 at 10:34 am |
    • peace2all

@Numele

"I is about time some in the Christian community stands up to these Muslim radicals." ETc...,etc..

If you read the article carefully, the pastor i calling the religion of Islam.. "of the devil' He is not saying that I want to get the world's attention...

He flat out says my god/religion=THE right one... your god/religion = the devils work.(wrong one)

It is christians like this that give some of the rest of the peace loving christians a bad name. I could go on and on about the atrocities committed over the last several thousand years by the christians. 'Extremists' whether muslim or christian read their holy books and some 'interpret hatred and some interpret love......IN BOTH religions.

And your inflammatory rhetoric, plus bigotry is NOT making it any better.

If we are ever going to find common ground in these religions, then we need to start by trying to respect and understand where they are coming from....yes....that includes all so perfect and loving religion of christianity...

Peace-love-harmon--lets try this, instead of the my god/religion is right one....yours is wrong....therefore, let's all fight about it.

Certainly, i hope that we have evolved to a point where we can at least give this way a go..

Peace to you...

August 1, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  15. L Alahem

"The alegation against Islam is simple; it is an intolerant religion that invokes extreme viloence against its detractors. "

hmm You mean NOT like the Fundamentalist Christian Pastor that is proposing a burning of another faith's Holy Scripture and standing at a podium foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog saying that another religion is of the devil? Let me see, how can I put it as simply as possible?...I know:

POT! KETTLE! BLACK!!!

August 1, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  16. John b

It shows you that none of these people have JESUS in their hearts. JESUS Forgave ALL. Jesus is love according to the bumper stickers I see. As a Buddhist you build your Karma by your actions. I will let you have my good Karma to off set the bad karma that you are creating and I will pray for you. the Shinnyo-en foundation has a program called 6 Billion Paths to Peace. There are 6billion people on this planet which path to peace will you take?

August 1, 2010 at 5:37 am |
  17. Ahmed

it is a sham that a church man would even think about doing something like that (Even the CNN gentlemen asked how would you feel if a Muslim person said i will burn the bible...)what he is doing is worse that burning the Holly Quran he is causing hatred between human kind.. let us all pray for him that he rethinks the matter..

God bless all Christians & Muslims

August 1, 2010 at 5:01 am |
    • peace2all

@Ahmed

I agree with you.... Christians have commited attrocities for thousands of years...... and Muslims have done same.

Let us all learn and grow with each other to make the world a better place of love, joy, happiness, and peace.

We need to coexist....we are all interelated species on earth....

Peace to you.....

August 1, 2010 at 5:22 am |
  18. Abdelwahab

Very good, You are making a big advertising for Americans to read the Quran, and hundreds of thousands of them becoming Muslims

and as for burning some Qurans, millions of copies will be printed again

August 1, 2010 at 4:49 am |
    • peace2all

@Abdelwahab

What I am getting from your post is that burning of Qu'arn will basically be 'big advertising' and hundreds of thousand of them becoming Muslims.

Seems that is a conversion to Islam....... Is that what you want...?

I think that we should coexist in peace and harmony and love......not war......or my god is better than your god.

That will destroy the planet.

Peace-love-harmony-understanding........Lets all get along.....

Peace to you......

August 1, 2010 at 5:02 am |
  19. Brock Spamson

I will burn a Bible on that day just for giggles. As the pastor said, it's my right.

August 1, 2010 at 4:20 am |
  20. naaz

Security has always message of the Qur'an, do not you see? When the two meet in person and then salute one another for the prayer is doing, than any other religion security system? But some people giving the name of terrorism struggle has defamed Islam and the Qur'an. Qur'an is a clear message that anyone who killed a man he killed the whole humanity.
    But as far as burning the Qur'an is to be alert and wait for the punishment of Allah.

August 1, 2010 at 4:14 am |
    • peace2all

@naaz

I am not quite sure of all of the points that you are trying to make, my apologies.

I sincerely hope that any burning of Qur'an will bring out the loving Allah and not the punishment or waring Allah. As you know, there have been many,many burnings of the bible by muslims. The God of the Christians–I believe is a loving and forgiving God.

I point is let's not have my god is better than your god....which has been going on for centuries.

Let's try and find peace an love and harmony between all religions so we can coexist and make the world a better place.

Peace to you.....