home
RSS
August 5th, 2010

Atheist Christopher Hitchens on God and those praying for him

Updated Friday 11:30 a.m. The full interview with atheist Christopher Hitchens on his personal battle with cancer and how it hasn't affected his atheism, from last night's AC360°.

Program Note: Anderson's interview with author Christopher Hitchens on his cancer diagnosis and whether it has changed his thoughts on God will air tonight on AC360° at 10pm ET. Watch a sneak preview below.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2010/08/05/ac.hitchens.on.cancer.god.cnn"%5D
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Books • Prayer

1. Selfish Gene

Pray in the closet

Many religious extremists wish to turn public prayer into law. How many Christians realize that the Biblical Jesus strongly opposed public prayer?

The wall of separation between Church and State, actually protects the religious liberties for all of us in the United States and here we have Biblical justification for keeping prayer private:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hyprocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

-Matthew 6:5-6

Praying in private may constitute the most admirable statement the alleged Jesus ever made. Unfortunately, few Christians pay heed to this command.

August 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  2. MS

1 Corinthians 1:18-31 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

August 9, 2010 at 10:51 am |
    • Selfish Gene

I can quote scripture too.

In the last few years, Christians have pushed a political agenda for the concept of "family values." Nowhere does the Biblical Jesus ever mention the phrase "family values" nor does he even mention the word "family." On the contrary, it appears that the life style of Jesus contradicts the concept of modern Christian "family values." According to the Bible as well as Christian apologists, Jesus never raised a family, and never married or fathered children. Clearly, Jesus had no personal experience of a family. Furthermore, the words of Jesus expressed variance against family members:

For I am come to SET A MAN AT VARIANCE AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND THE DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND THE DAUGHTER IN LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER IN LAW. And a MAN'S FOES SHALL BE THEY OF HIS OWN HOUSEHOLD.

-Matthew 10:35-36

Not only does the Bible claim that Jesus came to set man at variance against members of the family, but he demanded that anyone wishing to become a disciple must hate them:

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

-Luke 14:26

Whoever calls Jesus "Prince of Peace" obviously never read the Gospels, for he never claims to have come for peace sake, but rather to divide the family:

Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

-Luke 12:51-53

And Jesus reveals the bribe and reward for forsaking your family:

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

-Matthew 19:29 [also see Luke 18:29-30]

Extolling the virtues of hate and division for family members can hardly serve as an example for admiration and one must dismiss Jesus as a teacher for family morals.

And what does Jesus say about marriage? Not much, but the following shows what he thinks of marriage in the resurrection:

The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

-Luke 20:34-36

You won't see anti-abortionists citing this verse. It applies to Judas; note how the last part plays right into abortion:

The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

-Matthew 26:24

Whosoever shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness.

-Mark 3:29

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

-Matthew 12:31

August 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
    • verify

Yes, Selfish Gene, that sounds like typical cult behavior.

August 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  3. Rafael Izaguirre

Mr.Hitchens taught me to question the unquestionable, with reason and rationality based on evidence, I can only wish him well, and of course we live in a world where every living creature has to die one day, this is not a perfect world, nor are we, everyday there are people dying,terrorists killing on the name of God, people killed in accidents, illnesses,etc. and I'm pretty sure most of these people are devoted Catholics, Christians,etc and yet they were not saved. the only consolation now that they're gone is "they are in heaven now" or "they are having sex with the 42 virgins"...yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr.Hitches has had a meaningful life defending Reason, and as an atheist he and other intellectual Atheists have been like a small candle in the vast darkness...

August 9, 2010 at 5:39 am |
  4. MutantZ-man

@NL

Just kidding! lol

EPIC WIN

August 9, 2010 at 12:17 am |
    • Guest

@Mutantz-men

Those thinkers who cannot believe in any gods often assert that the love of humanity would be in itself sufficient for them; and so, perhaps, it would, if they had it.
      Gilbert K. Chesterton

August 9, 2010 at 9:36 am |
    • MutantZ-man

@Guest
      What are you talking about? I'm just handing out WINs. Who do you think I am, anyway?

August 10, 2010 at 2:06 am |
  5. Endun

I agree with MS. What if there is God? In fact my Pastor talked about that. We need to go back to the book of the beginning , the book of Genesis. I can not live my life without God, The Son and the holy spirit
    God Bless You.

August 8, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
    • NL

But what if there isn't a God, or if he hadn't had a son at all? What if there has only ever been YHWH and Christianity was the devil's creation? Then you and yours would be judged far more harshly than we atheists who were not deceived by the devil, right?

The safest bet, if you choose to believe or not, is to live your life as though heaven is not waiting for you as guaranteed by salvation by faith. Live your life to the fullest, experience as much joy as possible and help others do the same, try your best never to judge or harm ANYONE, and at the very least you will be remembered fondly my everyone, right? If God exists, AND IS A LOVING God, then how could he not reward such a life? Heaven, then would just be icing on a perfect life. Many atheists I know choose to live this way.

August 9, 2010 at 12:11 am |
    • MutantZ-man

@NL

I cannot give you more than one EPIC WIN per day.

August 9, 2010 at 12:17 am |
    • TB

NL: There is fault to your argument. If there is no Christ, and only YHWH, then the Hebrew Bible takes precedence, and we live under the Law and not Grace.

By your advice, our goal should be to reserve judgement and do no harm. This seems to be a fairly passive way of living life. Christ, however, gives us 2 new commandments, to love God with all our heart, soul and mind; and love our neighbor as we love ourselves (Matthew 22:36). And Paul defines love in 1 Cor 13, and it involves one's hand and feet, not simply one's mouth.

Clearly, God dissapproves of the insincere "believer" more than those that reject Christ outright, but neither fullfill Christ's examples, and are thus lacking.

August 9, 2010 at 12:52 am |
    • NL

TB-

If my goal is to live with harming the fewest people are you suggesting that a more aggressive approach would service me better? Historically speaking, I'd rather stick to passive. Contrary to what most warmongers claim, aggression rarely works in protecting people. Furthermore, if God actually does exist, I really do think that he would be less harsh upon pure disbelievers than pretenders, cherry-pickers, judgers, hypocrites, others who claimed to be following him. I'd say there would be lots of room left over in heaven, wouldn't you say?

Who would assume that WE would live under the Law and not Grace? If there is only YHWH then he is the god of the Jews, and nobody else, right? If there is only YHWH then is there a heaven, a hell, or just non-existence when you die? Do a little research on Orthodox Judaism.

Perhaps even Jesus recognized this.

Matt 5:18
      "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished."

Maybe the Jews are the only people with an actual god. If they are then everyone else, Christians and atheists included, are living merely as tools to challenge his chosen people. Entirely Old Testament, only ongoing. How would you feel about that?

August 10, 2010 at 1:46 am |
    • ICEMAN

This is crazy "CHRISTIANS" you pick up a book that has been revised at the latest 1911. Now you say all these thing and have all this faith but where did it start. Do you do search for your history it's there, written, just waiting for you to find it. The bible don't even have all of it's books because well lookit up. Find truth "TRUTH" cause you get killed by the athiest on here cause of your faith in a flawed book. PS EUROPEAN CHRISTIANY ISN'T THE WAY THAT STARTED AT THE COUNCIL OF NICEAN 325 A.D. Search for the truth cause it's not in a blue eyed saviour that Michelanglo painted yes he was the first man to paint our saviour a white.

August 15, 2010 at 4:53 am |
  6. Endun

Remember, In this world there is always 2 sides. The Good, The bad, The positive, The negative. God or Satan.
    So Which way saves you, Which way you choose for your life in this world.

August 8, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  7. Endun

I feel sorry for this guy for his stubbornness of not believing in God. And I am sad for all the people who degrading God.
    God Is the mighty Creator. He created everything even you. You are special to Him. Religious people are not haters, we just try to live our lives based on His Wills and obey His Words. We can not be perfect everyday, that is why we ask Him for his guidance. It is very cruel of people to degrade God. It is very humiliating.

August 8, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
    • NL

You know this, how? Because it's written in the bible? Just because the bible is an ancient book, does that automatically make it trustworthy?

At one point in the Odyssey Zeus says ‘Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given.' Now, the Odyssey is also an ancient book, and we can learn a lot from this quote, but should I take it as evidence that Zeus and the other Greek gods were real?

Ask yourself why you believe in the bible. Is it only because the bible tells you that it is trustworthy? Now, would you believe in anything else simply because it told you that it was trustworthy? If you do then you are a dream to advertising firms and con men everywhere!

August 9, 2010 at 12:00 am |
  8. MS

If I am wrong and there is no God and Jesus is just a fairy tale, then what am I out? I have staked my life on the fact there is a God. PeterM that was not an epic win it was a huge tragedy! I was not born a Christian and I did not always follow the Lord but because something out of my control showed up and I had know where else to go but to the Lord.

August 8, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
    • NL

"If I am wrong and there is no God and Jesus is just a fairy tale, then what am I out?"

Well, all the money you wasted supporting useless ministers and televangelists, for one thing. Hours spent listening to useless sermons that convinced you to shun your gay relatives for no good reason being another. You could also be worshipping the wrong god, made to suffer a kind of hell because you chose wrongly, and condemned to watch future generations of loved ones make the same mistake based on your guidance to worship Jesus. You also have to ask yourself "Is believing in God sufficient for salvation?" Perhaps salvation will come to any who live good lives. If so, then you get the same treatment that we atheists get for not believing nothing special at all! Worse for you, you did some very bad things against people because you were told that Jesus would approve. See, you should have used your better judgment like a freethinker.

"Really I will never be able to convince you that there is a God only the Holy Spirit can do that!!!!"

Most atheists will admit that they easily would believe in God if real evidence were discovered of his existence, but is there any amount of proof that could convince you that God does not exist? We're open minded, what are you?

August 8, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
    • MutantZ-man

@NL

WIN

August 9, 2010 at 12:08 am |
  9. MS

Somewhere in back of every so called atheist lurks the thought, what if there is a God? This is not an issue until they are faced with the end of what they value the most, their very life.

I can only say this, "One day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus Christ as Lord"

Pray for him that the blinders are removed from his heart, as we speak he is wondering if there is in fact a God!

My friends what if you are wrong? What if there is a God?

August 7, 2010 at 7:45 pm |
    • JK

As a believer, s this question not in the back of your own mind?
      What if?...What if you're wrong about your God?...
      What if your wrong abut Thor?
      What if your wrong about Zeuss?
      What if you're wrong about the other 20 odd thousand gods that have been claimed to exist?!
      ....What if you're wrong??

August 8, 2010 at 1:42 am |
    • Mary Anne

@MS:
      What you cite is a very old philosophical argument called "Pascal's Bargain", after French philosopher and mathematician Blaise Pascal, who may not have been the first one to say it but his version was memorable in its symmetrical if/then construction of all four angles of the question. To wit: Suppose there is no god. If you don't believe, you will lose nothing when you die because death will mean oblivion. If you do believe, you are incorrect, but will likewise have lost nothing when you die. Suppose there is a god. If you believe, you will lose nothing when you die because you will be saved. If you don't believe, you will lose everything when you die, because you will be damned. So isn't it better to hedge your bets and believe?

The problem with this proposition is twofold. First, it encourages people who don't believe in god, due to their personalities and intellectual study, to profess belief (often lying to themselves as well as everyone else) out of cowardice, hardly a noble (dare I say godly?) action. Second, it's several hundred years old, and doesn't take into account all the advances in science that explain the so-called proofs of god's existence used by the faithful to fight the rationalist viewpoint.

So I will not hedge my bets, but I will be true to who I am and what I believe, which is that there is no god. I am comfortable with that, and I am tolerant of your belief, even though I think it's pointless.

Now I have a question. Suppose there is a god. Is this god so gullible that he/she/it will be deceived by a non-believer lying to curry favor with him/her/it and short-circuit the nagging of the believers in the neighborhood, and if not, what is the point of pretending to be what one is not? If such a god would damn a person for telling the truth, hell must be full of honest people.

August 8, 2010 at 8:42 pm |
    • PeterM

@Mary Anne EPIC WIN

August 8, 2010 at 8:50 pm |
    • TB

Mary Anne:
      I agree with you insomuch as MS asks the wrong question. The Bible clearly indicates God would not be deceived.

Matthew 7:21-23 reads, " Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

The notion that one would profess faith in Christ as a matter hedging one's bets has little merit, and doing so is clearly a sin. Your question, however, also misses the mark. Contrary to what one may infer from the history of the Catholic church, God does not damn anyone, but instead offers the method by which one can enter Heaven to be in communion with God.

A more interesting question for the athiest might be, what if God exists, and is who he says he is, the Creator of love (1 John 4:7), and that Heaven is perfect? The condition of hell compared to our earthly life is then irrelevant (pit of despair or a modern-day trafffic jam). The relevant comparison is between perfection and imperfection, and there is no sliding scale of 1-100, just 1 OR infinity.

When one rejects God, one rejects love. When one rejects religion, one rejects the failures of man. In that sense, the atheist and God reject the same thing.

August 8, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  10. Spooner

Long live Hitch!

August 6, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  11. Spooner

To expand on the good point made by Bob, here's a quote from 2 Thessalonians that I like to bring up to the pious who make the tragically stupid and altogether unconvincing argument that we must derive our "morals" from the bible:
    "...when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance upon those who do not know God and upon those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might"
    Not a lot of the whole "love your brother" vibe in that statement is there?

August 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  12. Dwayne S

Christopher Hitchens has been an inspiration to me personally, and I'm
    sure many others as well. Even if you do not agree with him, you cannot
    deny his logic, intelligence, and mastery of language. Mr. Hitchens
    tells it as he sees it in the most eloquent way imaginable. I just have
    to laugh at those who even ponder "Will Hitchens still hold on to his
    atheist views in light of his life threatening illness?". Only those who
    do not understand the true atheist view would even entertain the idea.
    It's somewhat like asking "Will Hitchens still not believe in Zeus...?"
    It's absurd.
    To all the religious people reading this: Atheists really, really,
    really DON'T believe in god! Not Yahweh, nor Zeus, nor Apollo, nor Ra. I
    always tell people to look at it this way; remember your existence
    before you were born? That is the exact same existence we will all have
    after death. It's pretty simple.

August 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
    • NL

There's no convincing some Christians that we atheists don't believe that God (or gods) exist because the bible tell them that everyone must believe in God, so it absolutely HAS to be true.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse." Romans 1:18 to 20.

Of course, at the time of Paul's (or whoever's) writing of this there really was no excuse for anyone to deny God's existence or creative power. Science wasn't there to provide an alternative, so how else could somebody explain the natural environment. Now, we have science, so there really is no excuse to still believe in myths.

August 7, 2010 at 12:27 am |
    • TB

NL

You've missinterpreted Paul's writing. He's explaining why not everyone acknowledges God, not that everyone must acknowlege Him, as you've alluded. The full chapter details that God's existence is apparent to all of us, but some refuse to acknowledge it, and so He gives them over to destructive behaviours.

August 7, 2010 at 1:57 am |
    • CatholicMom

NL,
      Science has not provided an alternative to the Bible. The Church has always been pleased with the findings of Science because the Church is all about Truth....Truth not theory. When Science provides something other than theory on something it never contradicts Truth. Truth and Science go hand in hand; the Catholic Church and Truth go hand in hand.

August 7, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
    • James

CatholicMom –
      Before you start throwing the word "theory" around as if it is somehow less than a fact, you really should learn how science defines the word. A theory is a construct that can explain a set of facts and has been subjected to rigorous testing and peer review before being granted the designation of "Theory". The Atomic Theory, the Theory of Gravity, the Theory of Relativity, the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection are all Theories in the scientific sense. Not a guess, not an hypothesis, but a Theory (with a capital "T" only to try to differentiate the scientific usage from the common) that has the power to predict events in the real world because it has been tested and shown to be true over and over.

Science never "provides something other than theory" but rather aspires to the level of Theory.

August 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  13. David Johnson

@Guest

Have you ever, late at night, considered that god does not like you? That you are only fooling yourself that he does? Give it some thought.

August 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
    • Guest

Your misinterpretation of the fig sinning is messed up, Jesus cursed the tree for not producing fruit....one of my favorite parables. Try reading the Bible with just a little sophistication.

August 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

Try reading the Bible with just a little sophistication.

Like with a martini and a clove cigarette?

August 9, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
  14. Gene

To Kenster;
    I said Atheist morality-not viewpoint, is subjective and it doesn’t matter to me whether you think my viewpoint on Christianity is objective, or subjective. Objectivity includes the realization that you don’t know everything.

August 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
    • Kenster

Thank you for responding to my comment in a reasonable and polite way.

When I think of a stereo-typical atheist, the insistence upon an objective viewpoint is one of the stereotypical behaviors I associate with them. But to say there is nothing unknown? Do they reallly say that? Really?

August 6, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
    • Luke

Kenster – No.

August 6, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  15. Guest

Life is short Christopher, your mother tried to reach out, are you going to do the same as her?

August 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
    • Kenster

Guest, I cannot help but feel that you are a morally sick and unsympathetic person. Am I wrong?

August 6, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Guest,
      I am sure you would agree that if he does try to reach out that his friends better be there for him and not slam him for it.

August 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
    • Guest

Kenster–

Are you confusing Courage with Cowardice, it's like saying a Rosary for Christopher is Cowardice.

August 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
  16. OPINION

The problem is tha people want all the good benefits/blessings, but do not care about what God says. Our own self centered-ego will always fail. I feel sorry for the cancer patient. Hopefully someone will provide him with the correct information so that he is not confused.

August 6, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
    • Bob

No, the problem is that people believe they have special knowledge as to what God wants. And this knowledge is not verified or proven to the person. It's merely asserted that it is true.

Having the wrong idea is always worse then having no idea at all.

August 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
    • Peter F

Bob, you said that "No, the problem is that people believe they have special knowledge as to what God wants."

It's not special knowledge at all. The Gospels were written as a gift to all mankind. It is not some special and encrypted message for a select few who decipher it properly. Jesus says that the greatest commandments are to love God with all our hearts and to love our neighbors as ourselves. That's what it all comes down to. That's what God wants from us.

August 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  17. anello

verify-
    Jesus was crucified. Documented. Jesus was resurrected- the tomb is still empty- he walked among the people after his death- the exponential rise in Christian followers (hundreds to millions in a decade) would not have happened without the resurrection. The tombs of all other religious leaders in history are still occupied.

August 6, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
  18. anello

LUKE-
    People are misguided and broken and all fall short of moral perfection, Mother Theresa and Billy Graham would admit they each fall far short in this area.
    If you were to read the recorded words of Jesus Christ, found in the Bible's New Testament, you would find that his mission was quite simple, to encourage people to love God and to spread that love to ALL people. The cross is the world's most perfect logo. Love vertically, heaven to earth, and horizontally, person to people. He made it a point to include all people in his message, including those segments of society that were outcast, and that we should follow that example. Jesus never once instructed people to be intolerant, violent or divisive. People that persecute in the name of Christianity are not following the words of the mighty counselor.

August 6, 2010 at 11:44 am |
    • Luke

I've read the bible. A few versions of it actually. I find it grotesque and riddled with hatred, death and genocide. I sought morality elsewhere and found it. I do not find the cross to be anything close to perfect. It's a simple used on the shields of crusaders, killing non-believers in the name of. It was used by the Nazi regime and on the cloaks of the KKK. Sorry, I'll pass.

August 6, 2010 at 11:49 am |
    • verify

Jesus' (alleged) words of love and peace are peachy. It's the supernatural hokum attached to them which non-believers object to.

August 6, 2010 at 11:55 am |
    • Bob

I don't agree Verify. Jesus did teach some awfully immoral things.

Like how he told people not to give thought of the morrow. Don't save money for yoru children. Don't improve your lot by being frugal. Such ideas are nonsense.

And then there are his bizarre actions. Like the time the harlot washed his feet with her tears, dried them with her air and then placed expensive ointment on them. The people at the dinner suggested that instead of wasting the ointment on his feet, the money shoudl go to the poor. His response...

"The poor will always be with you, I will not."

What a fine moral lesson that is. I'm gonna be gone soon, so let me enjoy this, let the poor starve a while longer.

August 6, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
    • verify

Yes, Bob, you are right. If, that is, he even said those things, and if he even really existed as the person they report. Nevertheless, Christians live by those alleged words (or are supposed to), so your point is well-taken.

August 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
    • Kenster

What a complete crock! Those aren't the "recorded words of Jesus", they were written by other people!

Where are the words that Jesus wrote? I mean, come on, he was described as being very well educated. Didn't he write a single word anywhere? Where are HIS personally written accounts and opinions?
      What a complete crock.

August 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
    • David Johnson

@anello

You said, "The cross is the world's most perfect logo. Love vertically, heaven to earth, and horizontally, "

Hmmm....Some people think the instrument of death was more like a spike. Sort of like when you extend your middle finger. What can we do with that?

August 6, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
    • David Johnson

Seems like I recall a fig tree, that had not sinned, that was blasted by Jesus.?

What about the part where Jesus instructs the apostles "If you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one"

Really religious people! I shouldn't have to keep telling you what the bible says.

August 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Bob,
      The men who pretended to be thinking about how the precious oil could be sold and the money given to the poor were really thieves and would steal from the poor any day…or not give them a thought…we have people like that today…always thinking about their god, money. This woman was doing something good which foreshadowed Jesus death and burial.

August 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
    • verify

You know, all of this Bible interpretation reminds me of the movie, "Galaxy Quest", where a race of space aliens were somehow beamed episodes of a "Star Trek"-like TV show. They were convinced that these TV actors were gods and heroes. They knew every episode by heart, and were excellently versed on every minute detail of the story, right down to the Captain's bridge and the jeffries tubes! They lived by the philosophies of this TV fiction.

August 6, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  19. C

I almost vomited due to the level of pious arrogance and ignorance in these comments. Those that believe in God are a road block to moral progress.

August 6, 2010 at 11:11 am |
    • Jeff

And those like you are quick to judge, and refuse to step down from your high and mighty pedestal.. also creating a moral roadblock to progress.

Join the club kiddo, you're not as progressive as you think.

August 6, 2010 at 11:20 am |
    • anello

as a believer, I would respond back with your words in equal measure for non-believers.

August 6, 2010 at 11:25 am |
    • Gene

To C;
      What an oxymoron – An Atheist speaking about road blocks to moral progress! Whose morals? – Atheist morals are always subjective.

August 6, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
    • Kenster

@Gene : An atheist viewpoint may be subjective, but what of yours? Isn't your viewpoint subjective? Or are you somehow objective in a way that is not immediately obvious from the way you write your post?

August 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • dutchblitz1

Gene- We are told that everything is relative. But somehow, everything being relative still applies to everyone.

August 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

August 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  20. Squeezebox

I am a devout Catholic Christian who has friends who are atheist. One died of cancer and I wept for him. Not only did he die of a painful and incurable disease, but his best case scenario is that he no longer exists. His worst case is that he is painfully burning in Hell and all because he didn't believe in an afterlife. Please don't repeat his mistake! It's better to waste your time on comforting superstition that might even cure you than to spend eternity burning. Don't close the door.

August 6, 2010 at 10:55 am |