home
RSS
August 27th, 2010

Some evangelicals on defensive over partnering with Glenn Beck, a Mormon

A handful of prominent evangelical activists are defending their decision to attend television host Glenn Beck's conservative rally in Washington this weekend after some Christians complained that evangelicals shouldn't be partnering with Beck because of his Mormon faith.

Video: Glenn Beck rally stirs controversy

"There is no need to 'de-Christianize' each other over the matter," wrote Jim Garlow, an influential California pastor, in a five-page memo this week arguing that evangelicals can attend Beck's rally and partner with the television and radio personality in good conscience.

"Glenn Beck is being used by God - mightily," Garlow wrote in the memo, which was obtained by CNN. "The left loves to slam him and do so viscerally and often with vulgarities. Glenn is not perfect... But his expose on America's sins is stellar."

Garlow - who partnered with Mormons in California to help pass Proposition 8, the state's gay marriage ban, via ballot initiative in 2008 - is one of several high profile evangelicals on the defensive about participating in Beck's rally, called Restoring Honor.

The rally, which is to be held near the Lincoln Memorial on the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, is to be headlined by Sarah Palin.

Christian critics of the event have taken specific aim at some evangelicals' participation in a prerally event Friday at the Kennedy Center called Glenn Beck's Divine Destiny.

Beck, who many evangelicals say is not a Christian because of his Mormon beliefs, says on his website that the Friday event "will help heal your soul."

"Guided by uplifting music, nationally-known religious figures from all faiths will unite to deliver messages reminiscent to those given during the struggles of America's earliest days," his site says of the event.

Brannon Howse, a conservative writer and founder of Worldview Weekend, which organizes Christian conferences, criticized evangelical participation in that event in a column this week.

"The Apostle Paul warns Christians against uniting with unbelievers in spiritual endeavors," Howse wrote. "While I applaud and agree with many of Glenn Beck's conservative and constitutional views, that does not give me or any other Bible-believing Christian justification to compromise Biblical truth by spiritually joining Beck."

Much of the criticism - along with confusion about the propriety of evangelicals politically linking arms with Mormons - is less formal and more rooted among in-the-pews churchgoers than evangelical elites.

"Jesus Christ's Church has universally rejected Mormonism's Anti-Trinitarian theology and its claim that mortals may become God," David Shedlock, a contributor to the evangelical blog Caffeinated Thoughts, wrote in a post this month. "Beck asks Christian leaders to 'put differences aside,' but Beck himself daily peppers his broadcasts with Mormon distinctives because he cannot keep his beliefs to himself."

Evangelical defenses of attending the Beck rally are largely aimed at ordinary evangelicals. Garlow circulated his memo in an email titled "In case some criticize you for attending the Glenn Beck Rally – since he is a Mormon."

Many Christians say that some Mormon beliefs, including that Mormon church leaders are prophets and that the Book of Mormon is sacred scripture, are incompatible with Christianity.

Mormons, though, consider themselves Christian. The Mormon church is called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Many conservative evangelical activists argue that evangelicals and Mormons should set aside theological differences to partner on moral and political issues.

"For Christians concerned about Glenn's faith, I would ask the following questions: What fruit do you see produced by Glenn," David Barton, an influential evangelical activist who is joining Beck's rally, wrote on his Facebook page recently. "Good or bad? If you judged Glenn only by the fruits he has produced, would you still hold concerns over his faith?"

"Christians concerned about Glenn's faith should judge the tree by its fruits, not its labels," Barton, a former Republican National Committee consultant, continued. "After all, Nancy Pelosi and Bill Clinton openly call themselves Christians... Although these individuals have the right labels, they have the wrong fruits."

Other evangelical activists have gone further, arguing that Beck's faith isn't that different from that of mainstream Christians.

"I have interviewed persons who have talked specifically with Glenn about his personal salvation - persons extremely well known in Christianity - and they have affirmed (using language evangelicals understand), 'Glenn is saved,' " Garlow said in his memo, which was dated Wednesday. "He understands receiving Christ as savior."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Mormonism • Politics • Sarah Palin

soundoff (1,239 Responses)
  1. Glenn_Mormon are not Christians

Mormons have preferred to be called "saints"; however, in the recent years the LDS church has spent millions in an intense "PR" campaign aimed at moving the church into the mainstream of Christianity.

Mormon are not Christians! Which part of that don’t people understand? Every time he professes to be a Christian I get a queasy feeling in my stomach. The mere fact that he does not have the intellectual capacity to understand his own religion Mormonism vs Christianity makes me wonder why anyone would listen to this guy.

He talks about the “secret government addenda” Which it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure America has been going downhill since Reagan

How about the secret Mormon religion? Wacky secret temple ceremonies.

Free and open markets? Mormon Mafia

I can't think of any other religion that shakes down members for contributions the way the Mormons do.

September 1, 2010 at 12:40 am |
  2. IndepConserv

Everyone wants to say that Mormons are Christians. Have a look see..... It's long, so make sure you have a while.

August 31, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
    • IndepConserv

Sorry, forgot the link.

August 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  3. Sinclair Lewis

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and holding a cross..."

August 31, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  4. One Who Knows

Glenn Beck is a Mormon, a religion that originated with the practice of polygamy, which is not supposed to be practiced, according to the Bible. Christianity is not just the belief in Christ, but rather the practice of Christ's teachings. Polygamy is still quietly practiced in Salt Lake City, but is ignored by authorities there. One of the main streets in Salt Lake City is lined with old mansions when Brigham Young's wives each had one, now turned into office buildings. Knowing the Mormon religion and all their business and political interests, it would not surprise me if Glenn Beck's purpose is to pave the way for Mitt Romney, another Mormon, to run in the 2012 presidential election.
    As part of his "Honor" campaign, Glenn Beck recently cited on his TV show the case of Eleanor Roosevelt, a DAR member, who objected to the black woman (whose name I cannot recall) singing at a DAR event, which was just plain wrong in his eyes, which it was. Yet hIs religion only allowed blacks into it within the past twenty years due to a "revelation" by their church president. That is why I'm a non-denominational Christian, which just teaches from the Bible. Many other religions stray too far from the fundamental teachings of Christianity to preach their own hate agendas.

August 31, 2010 at 5:21 am |
  5. blu bergamo

I'm one of those former Mormon leaders who left the "LDS" church. I can also attest that it is not Christian. Putting big block letters "JESUS CHRIST" in a logo does not a Christian make. Mormons cry foul at anyone even criticizing their church, let alone saying it's not "true." But they're also on the lookout for something they can call "persecution," so within the Mormon community this will be a good thing to them.

Any church with the income and bank account that the Mormons have would be out curing HIV/AIDS and malaria in Africa, and not building a $3-4 billion mall. The ridiculously fraudulent and demonstrably false Book of Mormon speaks ominously of "great and spacious buildings, " but Mormons apparently love them. It has become a corporation masquerading as a church as they continue to invest in mineral and water rights, real estate development, game bird shooting parks, and income realty. Actual Christian acts are scarce and hard to locate.

August 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  6. henryKnox

I was at the rally and listened to Dr King's message. Her message was of UNITY. This is why the left is attacking so vehemently. Their strength, they believe, comes from dividing and subdividing us along racial, political, economic, gender, sexual preference lines and any other device that they can use to drive wedges between us. If people were to adopt the attitude that we can solve problems together and we should respect each other's opinions and beliefs, they would lose their power.

August 30, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  7. Mormons Are First Century Christians

Glenn Beck’s theology is based on First Century Christianity, not Fourth Century Creeds. For example, Mormons’ views on Baptism, Lay Ministry, the Trinity, Theosis, Grace vs. Works, the Divinity of Jesus Christ comport more closely with Early Christianity than any other denomination. And Mormons’ teenagers have been judged to “top the charts” in Christian Characteristics by a UNC-Chapel Hill study. Read about it here:

Those who would denigrate the Glenn Beck's religion, usually have an ulterior motive. 11 of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were non-Trinitarian Christians. Those who insist on a narrow definition of Christianity are doing our country an injustice.

August 30, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  8. allan dempsey

I beg to disagree with David Barton. He said look at Beck's fruit. But Beck is asking us to return to god. When he says that, he does not mean the God of Scripture that has been taught for thousands of years. But a false god among many gods of which one day as a good mormon, you may become a god. That adam was the archangel michael and the ancient of days of Scripture. Mormonism teaches that Jesus, Lucifer, and all the demons, as well as all mankind, are actually all spirit brothers and sisters, born in the spirit world as spirit babies to our man-god Heavenly Father and his goddess wives. Mormon leaders have consistently taught that God the Father ("Adam-god") had sexual relations on earth with Mary (his own spirit daughter), to produce the physical body of Jesus. Early Mormon apostles also asserted that Christ was a polygamist, and that His wives included Mary and Martha (the sisters of Lazarus) and Mary Magdalene. Sounds more like the divinci code. Compare Biblical Christianity with mormonism and I ask what god is Beck proposing us to follow. I'm sorry but I follow the one truth God of Scripture. Who so loved that He gave His Son, Jesus Christ, to all those born again by the Holy Spirit of God. 1 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, and he says, "Let us follow other gods" (gods you have not known) "and let us worship them," 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. I ask you Christian, can/could you fellowship with a mormon? For I think that is exactly what Beck wants us all to do. Mormonism permeates every facit of his ideology and theology. It is another gospel which no real Christian should allow into their lives. It is said you are known by the company you keep. Frankly you can keep Glen Beck. I will keep the Jesus and God of Scripture.

August 30, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  9. Rose

AND HOW ARE ALL THOSE WHO LIVED & DIED BEFORE CHRIST GOING TO BE "SAVED?"
    Jesus went down into hades and proclaimed the gospel to those who died before he went to the cross

1 Peter 3:19–20 says that Jesus "went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, who in former times did not obey, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah
    Peter 4:6 says that the gospel was "proclaimed even to the dead

If there is not a Trinity consisting of one godhead (Father,Son and Holy Spirit)..then who was God talking to in Genesis when he said this?:
    And God said, Let US make man in our image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    Us and OUR denotes more then one....and of course later the Holy Spirit came up Mary, and she became pregnant with Jesus.
    God, incarnate in the Flesh. Seems simple enough that they are "one".

WHY DID JESUS CALL OUT MY GOD MY GOD WHY HAS THOU FORSAKEN ME..if they are "one"

First of all, Jesus quoted Psalm 22:1 which begins with, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?". Jesus quoted this Psalm in order to draw attention to it and the fact that He was fulfilling it there on the cross. Consider verses 11-18 in Psalm 22:

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help.12 Many bulls have surrounded me; Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me. 13 They open wide their mouth at me, As a ravening and a roaring lion. 14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And my tongue cleaves to my jaws; And Thou dost lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; 18 They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.
    The term 'dogs' was used by the Jews to refer to Gentiles (cf. Matt. 15:21-28). His heart has melted within Him (v. 14). During the crucifixion process, the blood loss causes the heart to beat harder and harder and become extremely fatigued. Dehydration occurs (v. 15). Verses 16b-18 speak of piercing His hands and feet and dividing his clothing by casting lots. This is exactly what happen as described in Matt. 27:35.

Psalm 22 was written about 600 years before Christ was born. At that time, crucifixion had not yet been invented. Actually, the Phoenicians developed it and Rome borrowed the agonizing means of execution from them. So, when Rome ruled over Israel, it became the Roman means of capital punishment imposed upon the Jews whose biblical means of execution was stoning. Nevertheless, Jesus is pointing to the scriptures to substantiate His messianic mission.

A further comment
    2 Cor. 5:21 says, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." It is possible that at some moment on the cross, when Jesus became sin on our behalf, that God the Father, in a sense, turned His back upon the Son. It says in Hab. 1:13 that God is too pure to look upon evil. Therefore, it is possible that when Jesus bore our sins in His body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24), that the Father, spiritually, turned away. At that time, the Son may have cried out.

One thing is for sure. We have no capacity to appreciate the utterly horrific experience of having the sins of the world put upon the Lord Jesus as He hung, in excruciating pain, from that cross. The physical pain was immense. The spiritual one must have been even greater.

That shows us clearly how much God loves us.

August 29, 2010 at 8:40 pm |
  10. Rose

@Kris in AL

AND HOW ARE ALL THOSE WHO LIVED & DIED BEFORE CHRIST GOING TO BE "SAVED?"

Peter 4:6 says that the gospel was "proclaimed even to the dead

God, incarnate in the Flesh. Seems simple enough that they are "one".

A further comment

That shows us clearly how much God loves us.

August 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
  11. Peg

I would just like to ask the other Christians on this board (be they Evangelicals, Lutherans, Baptists or any other denomination) one simple question.

Whom would our Savior say is a Christian? Would he deny others the title Christian because their beliefs are not the same, or would he proclaim all those a Christian who accept him as their savior and try to live his word to the best of their knowledge?

In the end, isn't the important part that we develop a relationship with him so that we might live with him again? We should not be dividing ourselves, but uniting. According to the article, one of the main reasons for the separations is that "Apostle Paul warns Christians against uniting with unbelievers in spiritual endeavors." It seems to me that Mormons ARE believers, so the only problem is due to religious bigotry.

August 29, 2010 at 8:14 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Real Christianity

AUTHENTIC Christianity all have the basic tenets of the faith. To qualify as authentic Christianity the major tenets of the faith must be agreed upon. Denominations may slightly disagree on minor things such as: will Jesus return before the Tribulation or after the Tribulation? The Basic Tenets of the 4 Gospels all agree in the physical death, burial and physical bodily Resurrection of Christ and that he alone paid for Salvation on the Cross with his blood. The true Gospel teaches we are saved by Grace through faith in Jesus and the price he paid for our redemption on the Cross. Anyone interested in the differences can research the tenets of the real Christianity. Stay clear of the cults that changed the bible in the 18th Century with their founders claiming an angel gave them another gospel!

August 29, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Christianity also denounces Mormonism as a cult religion. It was started by Founder Joseph Smith in the 1800. Smith claimed an Angel gave him a different Gospel and wrote the book of Mormon. Don't be fooled this is what Mormon doctrine is all about. You will never see a cross over their Church because they reject the Cross of Christ as the way to Salvation. Below is what they believe!

God has a physical body and so does his wife.

2) No Trinity. Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three separate gods. People can become gods.

3) Jesus was created by sexual union between God and Mary.

4) Jesus was married.

5) Jesus' death does not atone for all sin.

6) Baptism for the dead.

7) Dark skinned people were not granted Mormon privileges until 1978.

8) Jesus and Satan were spirit brothers.

No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light
    .2nd Corinthian 11:13-14

August 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  14. Peanut

No, Glenn Beck is NOT being used by God, he thinks he will become a God. The Mormon Church is a dangerous cult and should not be confused with Christianity.

August 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  15. Terence

It's amazing that those who "profess" to be born again Christians will blindly follow Glenn Beck who's religion denies the cornerstone of the Christian faith which is that Jesus Christ is the one and only son of God and that Jesus Christ died for our sins. These are the same ignorant people that lie and say Pres. Obama is a Muslim. They won't follow our President but they'll follow Beck who denies the Messiahship of Jesus Christ. "....even the very elect will be deceived..."

August 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
    • breeboo

Terence, you're so far off on your description of Mormon's beliefs that you're not even wrong. "Being wrong" would imply that you're at least SLIGHTLY on the right track, or in the neighborhood at least. I don't know who you've been getting your information from about Mormon beliefs, but I'd cut that source off if I were in your place. The next time you have an opportunity to talk to someone who is actually LDS, why don't you take a minute to ask them their beliefs on Christ. You'll be happily surprised.

August 30, 2010 at 12:07 am |
  16. jan

Putting in my two cents here:
    OK OK OK...........whether you are evangelist, mormon, catholic, baptist, athiest, agnostic, muslim......what ever.......hold on here. The point is NOT religion, although believing in Christ in my book is a very good thing, and having Him as my Savior is a very good thing, which I know would shock some of you had I mentioned my personal religion.

The point is we are AMERICANS and we have some huge problems; good on Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney (for his financial knowledge......he helped Massachusetts, he can help the USA, but not too many would 'allow' that because he is a mormon......I remember the cry of Kennedy being catholic, do you???.....such hogwash to pick on someone's religion; instead look at their abilities and their fruits), and others who are interested in saving the true spirit of America.
    Without that true spirit, we will go the way of other civilizations, and end in crumble as they did. BUT if we Americans can set aside petty differences/religious differences, and rally together, we can fight the opposition with the great power of UNITY......you know, UNTIED States of America. Have you considered the meaning of unity/united lately??? It does not mean we agree on one religion, so neither did our founding Fathers......but it does mean uniting against all forces that work to tear our most fabulous country and constitution apart/what started as small government with checks and balances to keep power seekers in check, and the right avenues making laws....ahemmmmmm...........
    If we can be so EASILY distracted from the real problems of unity, honesty, moral fiber, etc. guess what? Any big or small country can come in and crush us as fast as we can say HELP. This is what Kruschev promised......he would ruin us FROM WITHIN first by compromising our grandchildren's moral values......then he'd take us without much of a fight.
    It is our DUTY as Americans to uphold the integrity of our founding Fathers, and it starts with our personal choices to be strong and of good courage (Joshua/bible quote).

August 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  17. Robert Gorgoglione

I see all the misunderstanding, the dislike for one another-because of differing beliefs-verbally attacking other people, judging
    wishing harm to others. What ever happened to live and let live? Whatever happened to letting your religion work for you, instead of against you? Whatever happened to having love for all people, though not caring for the wrong things that they do? Whatever happened to trying to understand the concept that God loves all of us, and so are we? Even in the Bible, God says that if you truly love God, and the Lord your God, you will love all people; you will not allow Satan to fill your mind with evil thoughts; your actions will not, either. Glenn Beck is no more or less human than anyone else who has lived, or breathed, or walked this Earth. He may have some faults, like everyone else, but he tries so hard to do what is right: why should that not count for something? He has talents, skills, abilities, and capabilities, like everyone else; why is he not being
    recognized for this? Then, too, he is so concerned about America, so sad about what America has come to, that he has actually cried in front of his television audience: that is how humble he is. Why not try to understand the man more, look into his heart, appreciate that he has a good mind, and accept the fact that when it comes right down to it, he really cares about people, he really cares about America, and that he really is a good man. Why is this fact so hard for some human beings to accept? When we are young children, even with some animals; they do not have negativity towards us, why should we be towards one another? Because we do not use the maturity that we should as adults-God really wants us to-we don't always think, say, and do what is right, that is why. Lets not fall into that trap, America!! Lets get back to basics; lets not just believe, but to know with our whole heart, The Ten Commandments, and The Golden Rule, for example. If everyone in America did-and practiced it in their daily lives-can you imagine how much better life would be? Can't you just imagine what volumes this would speak to the rest of the world, the proper example that would be set? Also, this would hearken back to the time when America was, for real, the greatest nation in the entire world. I am talking back to the days when God, through the Founding Fathers, set the Foundations of what this country should be about. Lets bring this Republic back to the way it was then; if we do not, our enemies will attack us for sure, and we will have ourselves to blame. This depends on each of us to make the effort, nationwide; the point is, not can we do it, but will we? Time will tell, lets not wait to long,
    there really is not much time left...lets make God and His Son happy, once again!!!!! Please?

August 29, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  18. Anonymous

Basic Christianity denounces Mormonism as preaching another Gospel. Neither do they share the same Jesus of the Christian Bible. Mormons reject the Old & New Testament Christian bible and embrace the book of Mormon which was created by racist Joseph Smith a false 18th century Prophet who had a vision of an angel that he claimed gave him another bible, no dark skin or people of color were allowed originally. Beck has some nerve questioning whether Pres. Obama is a Christian since he himself iis not a true authentic Christian at all!
    Jesus saves not the Republican Party they are a bunch of fakes if they think otherwise!

2nd Corinthian 11:13-14
    “For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ.But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light”.

August 29, 2010 at 3:02 am |
    • breeboo

Wow... thanks for enlightening me that I have rejected the Old Testament and the New Testament. I hope I don't forget this.

I'll admit, that's going to be hard for me to remember, since I read them both every night, and I have been teaching my Sunday School class directly from the Old Testament EVERY WEEK THIS YEAR (we started in Genesis, and have moved our way forward each week, ending last week in Job. Oddly enough, I used the experiences and examples of Job to help make the point of the importance of making the Divinity of Jesus Christ and his atonement the center of our lives. I had planned on teaching about Jonah this week, but now that I know I've rejected the Old Testament and that I follow some OTHER Jesus Christ, I've got to scramble to put something else together *NOTE TO SELF – the New Testament is also off limits, so go look somewhere else for lesson ideas*), and from the New Testament every week last year, and they have each played such a central role in all of the teachings I hear every week in church for the last 40 years.

I'll also make sure to tell my kids that I was grossly misinformed about our beliefs, so they should also stop reading the Old and New Testaments. This is going to be a huge lifestyle change for me and my family, but you sound so certain and so incredibly knowledgeable about the subject that certainly it is I who is mistaken about my beliefs.

August 29, 2010 at 5:54 am |
  19. breeboo

All of this running around and tripping over each other about "who is a Christian and who isn't" is an absolute waste of time. This is the bottom line here: There are only 2 people that get to tell me if I'm a Christian or not – Christ, and me; the rest of your opinions on my status mean nothing whatsoever to either of us.
    A person can call themselves a Christian, but not behave like one, and when they die, Christ will likely disagree with them.
    Really, stop wasting so much time trying to tell another human being if he is a Christian or not, and worry about whether you and Christ have squared that definition up in your own life. As for me, I can tell you that regardless of what final answer we all decide on here in this forum, I'm going to spend my entire life making sure that when I die, Christ knows I loved him and followed him the absolute best I could.

August 29, 2010 at 2:32 am |
  20. Kris in AL

JESUS HAD A "FATHER IN HEAVEN." WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF HAVING A FATHER (BEING A CHILD) AND NOT BEING ABLE TO "GROW UP" MATURE INTO A NON-CHILD?

I CAN'T COMPREHEND THE ETERNAL MATURING PROCESS, BUT I DO HAVE A HANDLE ON ETERNAL PROGRESSION.

August 28, 2010 at 9:08 pm |