home
RSS
August 27th, 2010

Some evangelicals on defensive over partnering with Glenn Beck, a Mormon

A handful of prominent evangelical activists are defending their decision to attend television host Glenn Beck's conservative rally in Washington this weekend after some Christians complained that evangelicals shouldn't be partnering with Beck because of his Mormon faith.

Video: Glenn Beck rally stirs controversy

"There is no need to 'de-Christianize' each other over the matter," wrote Jim Garlow, an influential California pastor, in a five-page memo this week arguing that evangelicals can attend Beck's rally and partner with the television and radio personality in good conscience.

"Glenn Beck is being used by God - mightily," Garlow wrote in the memo, which was obtained by CNN. "The left loves to slam him and do so viscerally and often with vulgarities. Glenn is not perfect... But his expose on America's sins is stellar."

Garlow - who partnered with Mormons in California to help pass Proposition 8, the state's gay marriage ban, via ballot initiative in 2008 - is one of several high profile evangelicals on the defensive about participating in Beck's rally, called Restoring Honor.

The rally, which is to be held near the Lincoln Memorial on the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, is to be headlined by Sarah Palin.

Christian critics of the event have taken specific aim at some evangelicals' participation in a prerally event Friday at the Kennedy Center called Glenn Beck's Divine Destiny.

Beck, who many evangelicals say is not a Christian because of his Mormon beliefs, says on his website that the Friday event "will help heal your soul."

"Guided by uplifting music, nationally-known religious figures from all faiths will unite to deliver messages reminiscent to those given during the struggles of America's earliest days," his site says of the event.

Brannon Howse, a conservative writer and founder of Worldview Weekend, which organizes Christian conferences, criticized evangelical participation in that event in a column this week.

"The Apostle Paul warns Christians against uniting with unbelievers in spiritual endeavors," Howse wrote. "While I applaud and agree with many of Glenn Beck's conservative and constitutional views, that does not give me or any other Bible-believing Christian justification to compromise Biblical truth by spiritually joining Beck."

Much of the criticism - along with confusion about the propriety of evangelicals politically linking arms with Mormons - is less formal and more rooted among in-the-pews churchgoers than evangelical elites.

"Jesus Christ's Church has universally rejected Mormonism's Anti-Trinitarian theology and its claim that mortals may become God," David Shedlock, a contributor to the evangelical blog Caffeinated Thoughts, wrote in a post this month. "Beck asks Christian leaders to 'put differences aside,' but Beck himself daily peppers his broadcasts with Mormon distinctives because he cannot keep his beliefs to himself."

Evangelical defenses of attending the Beck rally are largely aimed at ordinary evangelicals. Garlow circulated his memo in an email titled "In case some criticize you for attending the Glenn Beck Rally – since he is a Mormon."

Many Christians say that some Mormon beliefs, including that Mormon church leaders are prophets and that the Book of Mormon is sacred scripture, are incompatible with Christianity.

Mormons, though, consider themselves Christian. The Mormon church is called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Many conservative evangelical activists argue that evangelicals and Mormons should set aside theological differences to partner on moral and political issues.

"For Christians concerned about Glenn's faith, I would ask the following questions: What fruit do you see produced by Glenn," David Barton, an influential evangelical activist who is joining Beck's rally, wrote on his Facebook page recently. "Good or bad? If you judged Glenn only by the fruits he has produced, would you still hold concerns over his faith?"

"Christians concerned about Glenn's faith should judge the tree by its fruits, not its labels," Barton, a former Republican National Committee consultant, continued. "After all, Nancy Pelosi and Bill Clinton openly call themselves Christians... Although these individuals have the right labels, they have the wrong fruits."

Other evangelical activists have gone further, arguing that Beck's faith isn't that different from that of mainstream Christians.

"I have interviewed persons who have talked specifically with Glenn about his personal salvation - persons extremely well known in Christianity - and they have affirmed (using language evangelicals understand), 'Glenn is saved,' " Garlow said in his memo, which was dated Wednesday. "He understands receiving Christ as savior."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Mormonism • Politics • Sarah Palin

soundoff (1,239 Responses)
  1. erin

This loon Beck and his folowers are nothing more than fundamentalists and as someone once said, "Fundamentalism is to religion what paint-by-numbers is to art." The problems in the Middle-East are being caused by their radical fundamentalists and the current problems in America are being caused by our fundamentalists. They ALL need to go.

August 27, 2010 at 3:29 am |
  2. Eric of Reseda

Jesus H. Christ! Reading this story is DIZZYING in it's bantering over just what is and what is not a Christian!!! It seems simple to me: If you believe in Christ, and all that goes with it, you're a Christian.

These various Christian tribes remind me of Muslims! As you have Shia slaughtering Sunni and Sunni slaughtering Shia – despite the fact that they all follow Mohammad – pretty soon you'll have Mormons slaughtering Evangelicals and Evangelicals slaughtering Mormons.

Hey! Come to think of it, that might not be a bad thing! NONE of these people follow the words of Christ anyway...

August 27, 2010 at 3:28 am |
  3. Gina

Is he Christian or Not? Really? For those of you atheists/liberals pointing the finger, you just put yourself into the judgmental mode you love to slam. A "Christian" is someone who follows Christ, and yes Mormons do follow him. I am not a mormon, but respect the fact they have morals and standards. You do not have to believe in Christ, but don't put us all in the same pot. I happen to love Glenn Beck, because he believes in what this nation was founded on.....

August 27, 2010 at 3:26 am |
    • Ryan

Hey Gina, according to the Priest who lives on my block, in order to be a Christian you have to accept Jesus as your saviour, not just follow him. Do Mormons do that? Im not saying anybody is wrong, just going by your logic.
      It doesnt seem you really know what you are talking about.

August 27, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
    • Ryan

One more question Gina- you say you respect Mormons because they have morals. Well, if I am an atheist and a liberal (Im not) and I have morals.....would you respect me? As someone who doesnt judge people and is kind, would you respect me? Or do I have to believe in someone elses words to gain your respect?
      Im just asking. If your answer is "yes" you do have respect for me, then that is great. Not judging, just asking....

August 27, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
    • Frogist

@ Gina, if you bothered to read the article, you might recognize it is the evangelical conservative right who says he is not christian... us atheist/liberal types don't care about his religion, only his actions.

August 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  4. Ignoranceisbliss

Ha Ha I have to laugh at so many of these comments i have studied many religions and it is obvious that so many people have absolutely no understanding of the mormon religion you all have "your" ideas but are ok to rest in ignorance in my experience they are nothing but good people and have unique but interesting beliefs i can't believe anyone would call them a cult or a non christian but you are all entitled to your ignorance but you sound like idiots. I don't love Glen Beck but he has some good things even if at times he is too extreme for me. but of course all of you guys have so much better ideas which is why you all have your own show and have so many people commenting on an article about you right????

August 27, 2010 at 3:26 am |
  5. Henry Miller

Who bloody cares what silly superstitions these people believe in? Or is it somehow important to them that they have a common set of superstitions?

August 27, 2010 at 3:18 am |
  6. Nate Mo

The question isn't so much whether Glen Beck is Christian, so much as who cares about Glen Beck.

August 27, 2010 at 3:17 am |
  7. Sarah

I have a liberal idea! Let's call him racist. Oops, he has more civil rights leaders on his show than the pundits at MSNBC, and has just been named one of the "Blackest White People in America by theroot.com, you know, that webmag started by Henry Louis Gates?

I've studied Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism, and the only thing I've found so wrong with any of them are the elitests that proclaim them as their property- as if they have any right to exclude others.

Look in the mirror you sad little freaks.

August 27, 2010 at 3:08 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

'Nice try idiots pretending to be holier than thou and deriding his Christianity while bloviating about the supposed rule of love that you obviously don't follow. '
      'Look in the mirror you sad little freaks.'

Nice to see you practise it too.

August 27, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  8. Mike, Dacula Georgia

All this discussion about Glenn Beck, the Mormon faith and whether he is a legitimate Christian by folks who are in no position to pass judgement because they only know what they have been told by a biased, liberal press. Why not more discussion about the Black Liberation Marxist religion practiced for 20+ years by our President. Seems to me he is reeking way more havoc on our society than Glenn Beck.

Attend the rally on Saturday and meet some nice people who are certainly more civil than the many of those who hang out in the Liberal Elite circles sucking up to likes of Fidel Castro and Cesar Chavez.

August 27, 2010 at 3:07 am |
    • Frogist

@ Mike, Dracula Georgia: Are they gonna be like you, Mike? Cuz if they are, I don't want to meet them.

August 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  9. wanna2know

I wonder why the mormons did not let me visit in their temple to pray?

August 27, 2010 at 3:07 am |
    • LaGryphon

wanna2know....they won't let you in to their temples to pray because you are not a "card packing member" who is privy to all the secret combinations that go on in there.

August 27, 2010 at 3:18 am |
    • wanna2know

I did not realize secret things went on in their temple. So I stayed outside in the beautiful fresh air and prayed for them.

August 27, 2010 at 3:26 am |
    • Schulz

wanna2know,

There are many meeting houses across the US that you could go to any Sunday and pray and worship. We allow that, even encourage it. Please go to one and ask someone your questions. I'm sure someone there will be able to answer them.

August 27, 2010 at 3:29 am |
    • LaGryphon

wanna2know....secret things do indeed go on in their temples....like taking blood oaths & if you break any oaths "you will suffer your life to be taken" & be disemboweled or have your throat slit.....called blood letting. You consecrate that "all you have or will ever have, your time, talents & energy will be used for the building of the kingdom". You are taught that all other religions are an abomination in the sight of the Lord. That Satan controls all other religions. And you form a circle & chant Pay Lay Ail......look those chants up.....I'm not saying what they denote but it isn't pretty. The temple is the EXACT same ceremony as the Mason's & do you want to know why? Because Joseph Smith stole the ceremony from the Masons. The Masons along with disgruntled Mormons who Joe Smith had deceived were the ones who hunted him down & proceeded to have a gun battle with him...Pretty un Christlike to be brandishing a gun don't you think?

August 27, 2010 at 3:48 am |
    • Schulz

LaGryphon,

Once again I will tell you that it takes an amazing amount of gall for you to tell me what ordinances my religion practices.

August 27, 2010 at 4:03 am |
    • LaGryphon

Schulz....no it doesn't take any gall at all.....the Mormon's are the ones who call secret combinations an abomination in the eyes of the Lord & what goes on in your temples are SECRET COMBINATIONS. You cannot call it sacred it is SECRET because you will not reveal to the prospective duped fool standing in the temple what is about to take place. That is the hallmark of a cult....trapping a person into making covenants without an escape hatch. That escape hatch is provided at the beginning of the ceremony before the fool is aware of what he is about to covenant to. And your sacred ordinances are being played all over the internet on youtube.....so if you think you have the slightest hope of converting people you better stick to ones that live in 3rd world countries that have no exposure to the internet which by the way is what your cult is already doing....betcha didn't know that did you?

August 27, 2010 at 4:08 am |
    • Schulz

LaGryphon,

Sir, ma'am, you are a fool and should be pitied. If this is an abomination in the sight of the Lord and people have entered in to it without realizing the significance, than that is their way out. God is a merciful God and if this church has deceived it's members than God will give them a chance to repent. A large part of the work done in the temple is the performance of ordinances for our ancestors, also couples are sealed in temples. There are no blood oaths.

August 27, 2010 at 4:20 am |
    • LaGryphon

Schulz....I am not the fool here. And there were blood oaths which were removed in 1990. How do I know? Because I took them in that temple of yours. "Suffer my life to be taken" while drawing my right thumb from the left ear to the right ear across the throat . "That will do" was said after the motion of slitting my throat. "Suffer my life to be taken" while drawing my right thumb from the left side of my gut to the right side of my gut signaling disembowling. "That will do" was said after the motion. So you can see the first hand knowledge that I have of the cult's practices. FYI....scroll down & read "Blair's" post....pretty informative....Peace be with you

August 27, 2010 at 4:30 am |
    • Josh

Mormoms don't cast their pearls before swine.

August 27, 2010 at 4:59 am |
    • Jate

Is all this fighting and going back and forth really doing anyone any good?

August 27, 2010 at 5:22 am |
    • LaGryphon

Josh & Jate.....It isn't fighting.....it's a discussion & you could say I'm doing missionary work by passing information to those who wish to hear it and in doing so this might offend your sensitivities. I've heard that saying about casting pearls before swine when Mo's get into a discussion & they are stymied for a response, it's typical. Remember what your church teaches, whenever you get cornered in a discussion you should bear your testimony ......here's my testimony. I know your so called church is not true, it was based on lies from the start. Joseph Smith was the architect of the sham. He was a know scam artist who resorted to money digging to earn his living. He duped too many people to mention. Used sex as a form of control along with fear.....hallmarks of cult indoctrination

August 27, 2010 at 5:53 am |
    • Boyd

LaGryphon

August 27, 2010 at 11:25 am |

Boyd

"""Your initial arguments have become smothered with your obvious hate and resentment towards the LDS Church. I have been a member long before the 1990 and what youre saying is just a flat out lie. Please stop making yourself look more and more stupid and just live your life. Stop doing the whole "I used to be Mormon and got offended" thing and now you spend your whole life on the internet trying to tear apart the faith. It is "unChristian"."""" Firstly Boyd.....I don't hate the church, not at all. I'm not resentful. You've been a member since before 1990 right? Did you go through the temple before then? Yes or No? If you did then you know what I speak of his the truth as to what took place in there. The church's history is being exposed & you are not comfortable with what you're hearing. Research your own TRUE history before you call someone a liar. I've not been offended, I've not lied but that is how you have been taught to respond to someone who's eyes have been opened & left willlingly. I don't spend my days on the net, quite the contrary. But I won't be silent when these kinds of articles are written so that others may have a deeper understanding of what the churchs beliefs & history are. The Adam / God doctrine is true....write to Tal Bachman the son of Randy Bachman of Bachman Turner Overdrive & get his views on that principle. You won't be disappointed. Peace be with you & may the good Lord open your eyes

August 27, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  10. Houston Sun

For those Evangelicals who are thinking that you'd rather not participate with Beck because of his religious affiliation – think again. This is a classic "divide and conquer" move from the left. Are you more worried about 6 million American Mormons or 100 million liberals in America – and their agenda? Even if you think Mormon's are "unbelievers" and "un-Christian," consider the parable of the Good Samaritan – Jesus used the parable to show that good works, even by "unbelievers" like the Samaritan, are better than inaction by those who should be "true believers." Also consider Jesus' interactions with the Centurion in Capernaum, or the Samaritan women in New Testament before you consider casting stones.

August 27, 2010 at 3:05 am |
    • Ryan

Yeah, some of the wacko's on the far left scare me with their agenda. But personally, the "Christian Right" scares me MORE with their agenda.

August 27, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
    • Frogist

@ Houston Sun: LOL! Umm the "left" does not need to use any tactics to create this kind of divisiveness. That's built into the "my god is the right one" ideology of so many in your face christians and other fundamentalists. And for the "left" to be dividing and conquering would mean that somewhere they would be building up this holier than thou attitude in political speeches, the media and whatnot to show how mormons hate real christians and vice versa. Since that doesn't exist, I suggest you try taking of the paranoia specs.

August 27, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
    • Frogist

@ Houston Sun: LOL! Umm the "left" does not need to use any tactics to create this kind of divisiveness. That's built into the "my god is the right one" ideology of so many in your face christians and other fundamentalists. And for the "left" to be dividing and conquering would mean that somewhere they would be building up this holier than thou att-itude in political speeches, the media and whatnot to show how mormons hate real christians and vice versa. Since that doesn't exist, I suggest you try taking of the paranoia specs.

August 27, 2010 at 1:18 pm |

Boyd

August 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  11. Thomas

Wow, lots of Mormons up in here. Lots of people defending it. Unfortunately, most Mormons don't know that Brigham Young tried to teach that Adam was Jesus. They really get caught up in past teachings saying one thing then having to change it.

Their book "Mormon Doctrine" is being erased from the bookshelves and soon will not be available as it contains contrary teachings compared with what's being taught today. So is Mormonism Christian? No, they believe you must have Joseph Smith's consent before going into heaven. Yeah, a little different than Christianity. It's all about Joe Smith there, you'll never find a cross on top of a Mormon Church.

August 27, 2010 at 3:04 am |
    • LaGryphon

Thomas, you are referring to the Adam / God doctrine that most practicing Mo's know nothing about. So much is concealed in deceit from Mormons & the rest of the world....re-writing their history is what they do best because it is far to unpalatable for their own ilk & prospective converts.

August 27, 2010 at 3:16 am |
    • Schulz

Thomas,

We don't put crosses on top of our churches because we believe in the fact that Christ lives and is not dead. We choose to not display the symbol of His death because we do not believe that Christ is dead.

August 27, 2010 at 3:19 am |
    • Thomas

Google Angel Moroni Statue. The cross depicts the ultimate sacrifice and our salvation..... Instead Mormons heed greater importance to the Statue of the Angel Moroni. Everything about Mormonism always points back to Joseph Smith. If Mormonism is Christianity, Joseph Smith and his wackadoodle teaching would be irreverent.

August 27, 2010 at 3:34 am |
    • LaGryphon

Schulz.....you don't put crosses on your churches or anywhere on your personages because you wanted to dissociate yourself from any Christian group, which believes in using crosses.....are you a mopologist?

August 27, 2010 at 3:37 am |
    • LaGryphon

Thomas good point. Jesus is secondary in their cult....kind of an after thought so other religions don't catch on that psssst their a cult. If anyone has a chance to visit Hinckley's "momument to himself" in downtown Salt Lake City they will see the statue of Joseph Smith is larger than life & Jesus' sculpture is an after thought sitting on a table.....unwholy!

August 27, 2010 at 3:42 am |
    • Schulz

Thomas,
      If you research the significance of that statue then you'd realize that it is a symbol of the angels proclaiming Christ's return, which will happen at some future time, and is in no way an attempt to usurp His glory.

LaGryphon,
      Currently I am unmarried. Being a polygamist would get someone excommunicated, so no Mormon is. Also how would you know why I choose not to display the sign of Christ's death? I don't because He is not dead, but lives and I need no material item reminder me of that.

The gall you two must have to tell me my beliefs is astounding. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, not a cult and am no worshiper of men, and see Christ as my one and only way to return to live with my Father in Heaven and be saved from my sins.

August 27, 2010 at 3:57 am |
    • LaGryphon

Schulz.....does your cult believe you cannot get into the celestial kingdom unless you are a polygamist? Yes or No? does your cult believe that one day polygamy will be re-instituted on this earth? Yes or No? Does your cult believe in blood oaths? Yes or No? Does your cult believe all blacks are the descendants of Cain? Yes or No? Is the Joseph Smith statue larger that Jesus' statue in "Hinckleys' monument to himself in downtown SLC" denoting old Joe is in higher standing? Yes or No? Does your cult believe that one day a Mormon will rescue the USA because it's constitution will be hagning by a thread? Yes or No? bet you didn't know that Joseph Smith prophecied Quakers lived on the moon, were seven feet tall & wore hats like President Lincoln did you? Did you know that in the Bible it states if even ONE prophecy is false from a so called prophets mouth that he is a falst prophet? Just the quaker on the moon quack constitutes Joe Smith being a scam artist

August 27, 2010 at 4:18 am |
    • Boyd

I love how the topic went from "Are Mormons Christians?" to "Mormons are crazies"
      Brigham Young NEVER said Adam was Jesus, Thomas, but it is more than likely that he said many things that are contrary to what Mormons practice today that does not make them any less Christian. Mormon Doctrine is a book full of incomplete quotes, many not taken from the pulpit and not at all preached to members of the church, and put together in a book. So of course the Mormon leaders are going to say, this is not what we want people to read. Its rediculous how Mormons are critisized bc we believe in a living Prophet today (which was exactly how things were in the Bible by the way) and Catholics are praying to Saints. Have you been in Catholic Church? Its full of paintings and murals of whoever the church was named after!! Mormons have a lot of beliefs that differ from the typical evangelical faiths but they believe that Jesus Christ died for their sins and that he is the ONLY way in which to be saved. And if you have ever been to a Mormon service you would know that.

August 27, 2010 at 11:18 am |
    • Ryan

Boyd, I have a questions for you. I am not a Mormon and know very little, so once again i will go to the source.
      You say that Mormons believe that Jesus died for our sins....but then you guys say you believe Jesus is still living. Well.....is he dead or alive? Or did he just come back from the dead to continue living?
      Please respond. Thanks.

August 27, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Thomas

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:8. // Enough Said! Joseph Smith may have saw the Angel Macaroni, but that doesn't mean anything.

Wise up and don't be a Matthew 24:5 "For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many."

August 27, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  12. Lisa

I've never watched Glen's show. But, I can guarantee I won't be watching it now. It's funny that CNN should give so much press to a Conservative...which I tentatively identify as (I've been a registered Democrat for 18 years but I just can't identify with the party anymore). I believe that Mormonism is a cult and I didn't know that Beck was a Mormon. I do believe in religious freedom. I also believe in my right to call a specific religion BS. Mormons are freaks and they can't claim to be Christian. By the way, I believe in God, but I'm not a Christian...not in the traditional sense. I can abide religion but I can't abide religious nuttery...Mormonism, Islam, and many others are included in my definition of this. They ARE freaks; all of them. So are many Christian religions. I'm an equal disbeliever (with conservative values as I get older...and I'm only 34).

August 27, 2010 at 2:58 am |
    • Schulz

Lisa,

Do you know any Mormons personally? Have you ever tried going to a church meeting of their's? I can tell that you haven't. Try not judging people from so far away.

August 27, 2010 at 3:00 am |
    • LaGryphon

Schulz.....I KNOW personally wards & stakes of Mormons.....was one myself years ago.....I've never been around a more un-christian group of people in my life. Try being one then leaving the cult....you thusly get titled "evil" & "satanic" & that is what my 10 year old daughter had to hear from her friends. My 7 year old daughter was told by her Mo friend she could no longer play with her cuz she didn't go to church. And now my granddaughters are treated the same way. It's the most cultish group of people you will ever know. The cookies, cakes & warm smiles hide their ulterior motives of getting you to join their cult so they can all pat themselves on the back that one more person was converted on their watch. If you study the Islamic religion you will see frightening paralells with the Mormons.....too frightening to ignore. Peace be with you

August 27, 2010 at 3:13 am |
    • Houston Sun

@ Lisa & TripleM and others calling names – Wow, "freaks," "nuts," "morons," "idiots"?! Is there a way you can disagree with people that have differing beliefs without resorting to name calling? Anyone who does this – you, Glen Beck, Michael Moore, Mark Levin, Keith Olbermann – ANYONE – atheist, agnostic, Christian, Muslim, etc. – you are using the GREAT American gift of free speech to tear out the heart of what actually made America great – civil discourse. And please, I know all about the un-civil discourse throughout our history so no need to remind me – but those kinds of words did not make America great. Read MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech if you think otherwise. Certainly King could have been slinging mud and names, but that is not what made him a defining American figure. Please my friends – we need to stop the name calling and start respecting – even while disagreeing with – each other.

August 27, 2010 at 3:33 am |
    • Black Bartholomew

@Houston Sun

There's times and places for yer civil discourse. Maybe this ain't one of 'em. Dance, hombre!

August 27, 2010 at 4:09 am |
  13. hennessey gopaul

One thing Glenn Beck is NOT is a historian. He may be a christian or a mormon, but he surely does not teach love, open heartedness, forgiveness or care for your neighbor (shirt off your back and all that). He simply uses religion as he uses US history as a prop for his cult of personality.

August 27, 2010 at 2:57 am |
  14. travis

If you watch or listen to Beck, then you would know that his logic, and reasoning is seriously flawed. This is the style of Beck's argument tactics: The sky is blue, rain comes from the sky and caused flooding, Obama wears blue ties, thus Obama caused the flooding. He argues in the style of a syllogism, which is effective, but he misapplies the principles of the technique.

August 27, 2010 at 2:56 am |
    • Alex

Thanks Travis for analysis straight out of a toilet. Could you offer an ounce of substantive material instead of cheap and clearly bigoted opinion?'

August 27, 2010 at 3:12 am |
    • travis

Sure tool. For example- Beck claimed Obama was tied to the Palestinian flotilla because the sponsors of the flotilla chose to name the next one after Obama's book "The Audacity of Hope." This line of argument is flawed because it posits that a spurious connection is proof in fact Obama's ties to the flotilla. First, I feel it is important for you to look up "syllogism" because it is with near certainty that I can say a moron like you does not know what it means, and while you're at it look up spurious too. Second, my original comment was an illustration of the technique that Beck uses everyday to put forth his wild conspiracy theories. It is akin to an analogy, but not quite the same thing. You might want to look up analogy too. Third, go jump off a tall building, but not head first because surely there is nothing to damage.

August 27, 2010 at 3:23 am |
    • travis

Oh, and look up bigot, as well. In no way does my original comment espouse hatred or intolerance. It points out the flaws in an arguing technique employed by Beck. However, my second comment does, slightly, allude to my disdain for tools like you.

August 27, 2010 at 3:30 am |
    • Ryan

Travis, you are crackin me up man. Lovin it.
      Do you live by the Chicago area? Id love to have a beer with you.
      Word.

August 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • Frogist

@ travis. You're the man. If I was in anyway religious I would bow to you. I read Beck's "refute" of the "Obama is a muslim" crowd that someone else posted. While at maybe one point or two he says he thinks or has heard Obama is a christian he follows this up with a lot of false evidence and circuitous logic connected to not much. In effect, he aligns himself with the people who believe Obama is a muslim and providing "proof" that they are well justified in their belief. I cannot believe people are so lacking in common sense that they would fall for it.

August 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  15. wanna2know

Mr. Beck looks like a happy boy in the photo. Where are his wives?

August 27, 2010 at 2:52 am |
  16. Bill

"Christians" spend a lot of time trying to out self-righteous each other, and condemn others as non-Christian even while claiming to believe in a religion that specifically says not to do it. " For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” " Hebrews 10:30 But some have to get their little piece of vengeance now, they can't wait for God to get the job done.

August 27, 2010 at 2:50 am |
  17. chedar

Beck is a moron not a mormon. And anyone that listens to him is a moron not a mormon as well.

August 27, 2010 at 2:50 am |
  18. Nate Zero

So where is his bicycle and backpack?

August 27, 2010 at 2:49 am |
    • Alex

Haha! He has his white shirt and tie.

August 27, 2010 at 2:58 am |
  19. Kate

Yeesh, 134 comments in just over an hour ... the segment on the Empire State Building and Mother Theresa has one comment after most of a day.

Just sayin'

August 27, 2010 at 2:49 am |
  20. Jim X

I know several Mormons. They are very much unlike Glenn Beck. They are kind, happy and honor and love their families. They are not full of hate and fear. Mormonism seems to work for them which is fine by me. I believe differently and that works for me.

I have no problems when people relate to God differently than I do, Mormons, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Christians, whatever. Nor do I care if they believe in God at all. It isn't my business. I give them the freedom to believe in what they wish. It is their life to live. However, I expect the same freedom and respect in return. When someone wants the freedom to believe a certain way but wants to force me to believe as they do without freedom or condemnation, then I have a very big problem with them because that is NOT freedom.

August 27, 2010 at 2:48 am |
    • Martin

At the risk of offending Mr Beck, I don't agree that he is a solid example of a Mormon. Thou shalt not lie, thou shalt not bear false witness, love thy neighbour. These rules/commandments/good advice for living get broken every 4 minutes that his show airs. I view him as a misguided conservative.

August 27, 2010 at 2:56 am |