home
RSS
August 29th, 2010

Feds investigate fire at site of future Tennessee mosque

A fire at the future site of a mosque in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, is under investigation but "you can reasonably make the assumption" that it was arson, an FBI spokesman told CNN Sunday.

"The evidence is being analyzed to see what the origin of the fire was," Keith Moses, an assistant special agent with the FBI in Nashville, told CNN Sunday. "We have to follow the facts."

The fire, which struck early Saturday morning at the future site of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro, is under investigation by the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office.

The fire consumed an earth mover and damaged three other vehicles, according to Camie Ayash, a spokesperson for the mosque. Ayash said that the Mufreesboro Fire Department told her that the vehicles had been doused with an accelerant.

Accelerants are substances that help start or spread fires.

A call to the Mufreesboro Fire Department on Sunday evening was not answered.

"It really put fear into the community," Ayash said.

"Our children are heartbroken," she said. "When we broke ground a few weeks ago, they could see the new Islamic center as something that was tangible, something that was going to happen."

"Now someone had so much hatred to rip the joy out of their hearts," she said.

The Islamic Center of Murfreesboro has existed in the Murfreesboro area for over a decade, according to its website, and currently meets about a mile from the site of the future mosque.

The congregation purchased a 15-acre plot in 2009 and announced plans for a center that will include a mosque, educational facilities, a gym, cemetery, and various recreational areas, including tracks, pavilions and a playground.

The project has provoked controversy in Murfreesboro, about 35 miles southeast of Nashville, and statewide.

In July, several hundred opponents of the mosque staged a march against the project. Some objected to Islam itself, carrying signs like "MOSQUE LEADERS SUPPORT KILLING CONVERTS," while others opposed the project for environmental reasons.

Last month, Tennessee Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey publicly criticized the project. "You could even argue whether being a Muslim is actually a religion, or is it a nationality, way of life, a cult, whatever you want to call it," Ramsey, then a candidate for Tennessee governor, said at a rally.

Ramsey placed third in Tennessee's Republican primaries earlier this month.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Houses of worship • Mosque • Tennessee • United States

1. mike

I think it is time we treat everyone else like they treat us. Are there Catholic Churches in every country? No because they will not allow them. Can I go to Mexico and buy land Illegally, No. Because we are not allowed to buy land in Mexico only lease it. Like Jesse said no more Mr. nice guy!!! I will only tolerate your country if yours will tolerate mine and they will not do it. Call me racist call me whatever you want I DONT CARE!!!!! I'm done with being nice now it is Mr. PISSED OFF GUY! Wait till they try to build the mosque in NYC see how many times that catches fire!!

August 29, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  2. Mike

So why are conservatives opposing this mosque now? Is it because muslims are being insensitive by building 2000 miles from ground zero? This, like the proposed mosque in NY, has nothing to do with "insensitivity." It has to do with bigotry against muslims. Stupid people like to believe that all muslims think alike and are in fact terrorists. This being Tennessee, it does not suprise me.

August 29, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Actually, I'm QUITE conservative. That said, saying I've served for 27+ years in the military and nearly 5 years of deployment to the Persian Gulf for the war AND I lost a cousin in one of the towers, *I* have no problem with EITHER a mosque OR community center being built.
      But I'm crazy, I disagree with people protesting the funerals of soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen who died in the war effort to the point of wanting to use Ma Deuce against them as a counter-protest.
      But I have sufficient common sense to be liberal enough to not give a tinkers damn about what goes on in whose bedroom when consenting adults are concerned, regardless of their sexes.

August 29, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
    • Fluffpuppy

I live in Tennessee. Please don't lump all of us here into the same category as the ignorant and intolerant nut cases. Thank you.

August 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  3. donem

I was born in Mufreesboro, and I invite everyone to contemplate the founding fathers values of the freedom of religion, government separation from religion, and the support of the minority opinion rather than the majority (the mob).

August 29, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
  4. andy

Nice Christian people showing their love for Islam in Nashville and religious tolerance the Republican way. Maybe this is what Beck was saying taking America back and making it a Christian nation. The New Fox religious nuts at work showing how the Christian version of Reverend Franklin Grahams political vision of America works in the real world. This has got to stop, when are republican going to stand up and put a stop to the hate they started. Terrorist attacked us, Muslims did not. I have worked with Muslims for 30 years, their sons have served along with our sons in Iraq and Afghanistan and bled and died for this country. Let them pray, marry, die and bury their dead in places of peace. This is America and Freedom is what we stand for, freedom for all.

August 29, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
    • sandy ruffin

yet another wise man...

August 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
    • Mike

Thank you Andy! This country, after more than 230 years of existence, is still trying to fulfill it's founding priniciples. Being from Nashville, it has been very diffiicult to watch the recent events in Murfreesboro, which is just south of Nashville. There is a beautiful synagogue in west Nashville, our more affluent part of town, that has stood for decades and was not met with such inexcusable hatred like what is occuring today in Murfreesboro, TN.

August 30, 2010 at 4:49 am |
  5. Bill

for the real truth on Islam

August 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
    • James

For the real truth, go to http://www.whyislam.org

August 29, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
    • Z

Good link, Bill. 😀

August 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
    • Z

Wrong person... I meant James.

August 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  6. PARROT

A COUNTRY FULL OF HATE, INTOLERANCE AND HORROR....ANOTHER DEEP TROUBLE LEFT BY THE BUSH REGIME!!!

August 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
    • foil

You're nothing but a LOSER TROLL AND YOU KNOW IT

August 29, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
  7. yazzy

Muslims r not terrorists jus bcuz those few radicals blew up those buildings doesn't mean we're all terrorists or else we culd call all germans natzis or all white christians racist becuz of kkk...ppl need 2 educate themselves.

August 29, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
    • john

muslims ARE different becouse their religion is based on the hatred of other non-islamic believers

August 29, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
    • maxx013us

@ John ... and what is the basis of your statement/opinion? Have you even read a single line of Koran or interacted with normal muslim population. In all likelihood, NO. Majority muslims are no different than us. I'd simply recommend that you do before spouting hateful and baseless comments.

August 29, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

LRN 2 SPEL

August 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
    • Lizy

Maxx
      I have actually read the Quran because I was made to in Iran even though I am a Christian. And you are right in Quran we do not read anything hateful but the Mulahs (religious leaders) interpretation of Islam is hateful. They do advise people to change non-Mulsim religion and if they do not change their religion they do say that it is okay to Kill non-Muslim. They also believe that they are working for Alah and they would go to Heaven if they killed Christian and will be met by 50 virgin and drink wine from a wine river. These theology is what people should be scared about. I am not saying all Muslim think this way but the ones that do are danger to the whole society of non-muslem. Also, if an individual is Muslim they should be involved in Jihad which means "Holy war". So if a Mulah or a religious leader mentioned Jihad that means all Muslim people should be up in arm against a common enemy that could be anything or anyone. It could be even against all non-Muslim. Are you ready for Jihad?

August 30, 2010 at 4:43 am |
  8. brown

This is an act of ignorance.

August 29, 2010 at 9:09 pm |
  9. geoffreyf

I sincerely hope that the FBI arrests and prosecutes the people who firebombed the Mosque site. They must be punished to the full extent of the law of our country. There attempt at hate and intimidation cannot be tolerated by any decent American.

August 29, 2010 at 9:06 pm |
    • Shawn

And the hate and intimidation they preach against infidels is perfectly fine, right? It's funny that you think you're fighting for freedom, while defending people who practically force women into slavery, and comprise practically all of the world's international terrorism....but hey, that's just a big coincidence. Islam is peaceful....

August 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
    • John

Those Muslims don't preach hate at all, any more then your average church down the street is about to bomb an abortion clinic.

August 30, 2010 at 7:27 am |
    • joejo

I really hope every single time a so called Mosque is being built it and the things needed to build it are torched get thenm the H out of here there no good !

August 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  10. geoffreyf

Islam is not a "Cult", that is pure ignorance and bigotry to say that. Islam is a 1400 year old faith as legitimate as any other. As with Christianity, it comes in many sects, views and levels but practically all of it non-violent. You are no more likely to meet a violent Muslim than a Violent Christian. This is also a nation of laws and all property and certainly all places of worship are under US protection.

I am disgusted by people who choose to associate American Muslims who are here lawfully with the Terrorists who violated the precepts of their faith through their criminal act. People who say it is a cult or should be banned have divorced themselves from all that is Good in America, from reason and from knowledge.

August 29, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
    • Tewrobert

Well Osama and his thugs was here at one time 🙂 some of his family still lives here......
      In my opinon it is a Cult of satanic worshippers, do not care who likes it..........
      Do you ever see these muslims sending aid?
      Until I see it they are no better than the rest of the terrorist, If they build a mosque they will have a safe place to plot against us....Do'nt even try to tell me I am wrong

August 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Tewrobert, should Qatar, Saudi, Kuwait, Bahrain and the UAE ask for their Katrina money back then?
      They sent money.

August 29, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

You vapid, sniveling lunatic with the backbone of a squid.

August 29, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
    • sandy ruffin

You have said the Wisest Thing, but can not sway people who's minds are closed and so darn protective of their right to be belligerant! I am 58, lived a long good life, have seen and experienced personally witnessed how black people were treated mostly with respect, came from my great-father as he taught his children and grandfather passed that down from my father to me...now the muslims are the new blacks, and who showed up at Glenn Beck's speech with Sarin Palin? White people, and who rallyed on the Washington where Al Sharpton gave his speech? Those who believe in the 14th Amendment – simply, it is the law of our nation...

August 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
    • Mike24

No more likely to meet a violent Muslim? Seriously? Thousands of these guys have blown themselves up in public places, Islam preaches violence throughout the Koran, that has been discussed, detailed and established. Saying that it doesn't is just pure ignorance, it is, and has been for centuries, the most violent of all religions.

August 30, 2010 at 2:06 am |
    • John

@Tewrobert

Yeah, because charity isn't one of the 5 pillars of Islam or anything. Muslims are way more charitable than Christians, and I say that as a pagan who doesn't care which Abrahamic religion wins the internicene struggle.

The people who say Islam only preaches violence unlike Christianity need to reread their Bible. I come not to bring peace but a sword, remember? The Old Testament is chock full of genocide. And Christian history as a whole is nearly 2000 years of religious warfare. Look at the violence associated with the Reconquista in Spain, the Spanish conquering of the New World, the Thirty-Years War, the English Civil War, the Troubles in Ireland, the Peasants War in Bohemia, the Civil War In Scotland, etc.

While you're at it, look up Hebrews 10:25-31 and realize that as a Christian if you commit any sin after being saved you're gonna burn.

August 30, 2010 at 7:26 am |
  11. MrEZ

You got that right Stevelb1.

August 29, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
    • stevelb1

Its not that I am against Christians, its just that half the accusations they make against Muslims can easily be made against them as well.

August 29, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Save in THIS country, Steveb.

August 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm |
  12. Andrew Messenger

Note: all the facts aren't in ... yet. At this time, they can only SUSPECT that his MAY be arson, when we know that churches are being blatantly torched. Before we get our politically correct underalls all tied up in knots, we may want to wait for the rest of the facts to come in. THEN we can all be flabbergasted, much the same as we are flabbergasted when it happens to the churches being torched.

August 29, 2010 at 9:02 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Yes, it MAY be arson. After all, construction vehicles are ALWAYS coated in accelerant. The most common being gasoline.

August 29, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
  13. Wzrd1

I, as a recent military retiree wish to thank those who just killed dozen of American servicemen and women.
    Should I ever find you, I will be certain to express my deepest thanks with a sharp object.
    Thanks to your insane behavior, those who are equally loose in the head will attack my former buddies. They will consider it an honorable action, which is abhorred by the REAL Muslims.
    As is YOUR action by REAL Christians.
    And yes, I'm certain it's a Christian extremist, models predicted such attacks LONG ago.
    SR, after 27+ years of military service AND nearly 5 years deployed to the Persian Gulf region in service to our nation, I'm in full agreement.
    Frankly, the individual or individuals behind this should be charged with sedition with intent to commit treason.
    To the attacker, I'd call you a turd (OK, something LESS polite for mixed company), but turds don't deserve the insult by being held in your company.

August 29, 2010 at 9:02 pm |
    • Greg

From one Vet to another. Thanks For Your Service.

August 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm |
    • Retired GySgt

Wzrd1.. would love to chat with you outside this 'forum'! email me at brantlyb2b at gmail please..

August 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
    • Dawn Ada, Ohio

Thank you for your Service Wzrd1. My son will be deployed in March to Afganistan and I am worried sick. You are exactly right. These crazies in the US are just adding fuel to the fire of the Radical Muslims in the Middle East. They are doing exactly what the Terrorists wanted them to do: Show the World how intolerant and ignorant Americans are. They want us to limit our liberties. The bigots and racists in this Country are like puppets on a string. Real Americans.....ones who understand our Constitution and who want peace in this world need to speak out against the Terrorist within our own borders and SHUT them DOWN.

August 29, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
    • usuck

Cry me a river wzrd1, who cares what you have done for "your" country. You are a loser along with all your "buddies"

August 30, 2010 at 2:00 am |
    • Doppleganger

Wzrd1...
      people like you are why I read comments on CNN forums. It's refreshing to see someone who not only knows proper grammar usage, but also has clear intelligence and a true insight into these issues. (But mostly the grammar. Ha. Just kidding.) After reading your post I went through and read some of your replies... It's rare for me to see someone I agree with as wholly as I agree with what you've said. Education is the foundation for all progress of mankind and you ooze it. Although admittedly half the time I was thinking about how Team America World Police is almost transcending it's intended purpose of satire.

Even the concept that someone in our country would pull this obvious hate crime off while calling all Muslims terrorists baffles me. If only irony could kill, right?

Isn't it a proverb in the bible that says something along the lines of "Before telling your brother to remove the sawdust from their eye, you should first remove the plank from your own"? Judging the whole on the actions of the few is a mistake made by far far far too many Americans. Justifying it because "they do it too" is so childish that I'm not sure how to reduce myself to that level. Apparently the high road has gone out of style.

August 30, 2010 at 4:29 am |
  14. Mike

To learn more about Islam, visit faithfreedom.org

August 29, 2010 at 9:01 pm |
    • Tewrobert

Don't clutter your mind.........

August 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm |
    • Wzrd1

DO "clutter your mind", get a copy of the Koran and ACTUALLY read it.
      It was my first act when I was deployed to develop a "mindset" for security.
      Where I had zero problems when I was amongst the general populace in three Persian Gulf nations. The nuts were dealt with near the base gates, the general population rather like us.
      But what would *I* know after nearly 5 years dealing daily with the general populace.

August 29, 2010 at 9:20 pm |
  15. stevelb1

They are all cults. Just that the Christians in this country are hypocrites.

August 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm |
    • foil

Since you're such a master of applicable Christian Theology and Behavior, why don't you become one and show the world how it's SUPPOSED to be done? Obviously you're NOT one, or you wouldn't have made you no brain remark. Easy for you to criticize and judge others when you're a vapid soul yourself...eh loser?

August 29, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
    • Les

Steve is 100% right on. Jesus said that Christians are supposed to love their enemies, turn their other cheek, greet each other with kisses (guys kissing guys, girls kissing girls), not take anyone to court, ALWAYS help the poor and sick, love EVERYBODY no matter what Be stewards of the planet.. Their widows (ALL of them) are to minister to those in prison. Instead they make war, destroy the Our Mother Gaea with their industries. Thank all the Gods and Goddesses I have seen the light of Heathenism and nature worship and my temples are many..

August 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
    • Abudu

Hey Les, you are an ignorant moron. Jesus did not tell Christians to do anything. He never even addressed Christians, never taught Christianity, wasn't a Christian and probably never even heard the word. So stop lying.

August 30, 2010 at 1:45 am |
    • John

Wow foil, way to rock the Christian charity.

I was a christian but I got tired of being associated with such hateful people.

August 30, 2010 at 7:18 am |
    • Les

Yoohoo, Abudu, Christians follow the teachings of the new testament. All of the things I mentioned are in the new testament. That is the rules Christians follow. The kissing thing is actually mentioned in 5 separate places. Islam claims to follow the word of God as given by a mere man who had no special ties with the font of religious truth. Christians believe they recieved the Truth from God's actual son. I, on the other hand, talk to myself , the God I am most familiar for universal truth. No, I won't share because I am a selfish God.

August 30, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
  16. jesse

i say we ban the muslim religion. no more mister nice guy. they hate us so why not hate them back?

August 29, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
    • Jack

Have you ever heard of the 1st amendment? The term Bill of Rights ring a bell? I say we revoke your citizenship and give it to an immigrant who actually knows something about this country and its government.

August 29, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
    • brown

They don't hate us, they came to America to be like us.

August 29, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
      • BHS

They did not come here to "be like us" they came here to conquer and destroy us and force us to be like them, or die. That IS their objective...and woe be unto us.

August 29, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
        • Kate

@BHS

So basically you're projecting the genocide of the NDNs by anglos into the present onto Muslims.

Just sayin'

August 30, 2010 at 12:06 am |
        • ephren38122

And you know this how, from an attitudinal survey? From intercepted secret emails? And who is "us"? You've gone bat-crazy from some incindiary drivel. Muslims have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The best way to fight radical islam is to not justify it with your irresponsible comments and to let moderate muslims go about their own business in this country like they will always let you go about yours.

August 30, 2010 at 1:01 am |
        • Selfish Gene

Are you talking about Muslims or Mexicans?

August 30, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
    • foil

They have a right to believe in and worship whatever they want to, wherever they want to. Just like you do. So who do you worship? Lady GaGa?

August 29, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
      • AwesomeBob

Jack Bower, duh!

August 30, 2010 at 1:12 am |
    • Hank

If Muslims hate, I will not hate them back. I am a Christian and I will base my behavior on teachings of Jesus and not on how Muslims treat me.

August 29, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

F Yeah!!

August 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
    • BHS

Muslims did not come to the United States to live peacefully and enjoy our freedoms, they came here to conquer and destroy our way of life. They came to bring down our culture. They use the freedoms in the country against us. Muslims spread like a cancer. The United States as we know it is doomed. And we stand by and defend their "right" to practice their "religion." Those who think with their heart and not their head will open the doors and pave the way for the muslims to destroy us. It's coming!

August 29, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
      • LostInTranslation

...said he who supports progeny from within immediate families...

August 29, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
      • Kate

@BHS

And we stand by and defend their "right" to practice their "religion."

Yeah, it's called the Const|tution, remember that? If you don't like America and what it stands for, then maybe *you* should leave?

Just remember, those of us who wore uniforms sw0re an oath to defend that pesky inconvenient document from *all* enemies, foreign *and* domestic.

Just sayin'

August 29, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
      • Chris

Paranoia, BIG DESTROYER...! Wow can you just stay under your rock and let us sane people live free of your tired rant.

August 30, 2010 at 1:02 am |
      • Fernando F.

bhs, I thought the Catholic Religion was destroying itself by not caring about anything by power for 1700 years, trying to destroy the culture of the country wherever they went. Now they are trying to "show" they care for the people, except for all those kids they are abusing everywhere. In my opinion, the Muslims are late if they wanted to destroy America, a country that only care about themselves.

August 30, 2010 at 1:33 am |
      • Peter J

1) Which Muslim come and said this in your ear?
        2) Dont use word cancer.....you also know cancer has no cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        3) HIstory of Islam shows that it spread much faster when it is over criticize.

August 30, 2010 at 1:50 am |
      • Peter J

1) Which Muslim come and said this in your ear?
        2) Dont use word cancer.....you also know cancer has no cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        3) HIstory of Islam shows that it spread much faster when it is over criticize.

August 30, 2010 at 2:09 am |
      • Peter J

@BHS-Aug 29
        1) Which Muslim come and said this in your ear?
        2) Dont use word cancer.....you also know cancer has no cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        3) HIstory of Islam shows that it spread much faster when it is over criticize.

August 30, 2010 at 2:12 am |
        • Caleb

@Peter J

Are you one of those people who say things like, "I tell you three times" or are you having trouble posting? That moderator filter can be a real pain....?

August 30, 2010 at 6:29 am |
      • sqeptiq

No BHS, we don't defend "their" right to practice "their" religion; we defend "our" Constitution, which you obviously despise.

August 30, 2010 at 2:17 am |
      • Lee Oates

Your a fanatical nut case.

August 30, 2010 at 3:50 am |
    • leciat

yeah yeah all americans are ignorant infidels how dare they question or criticize islam..freedom of religion is our only absolute right the rest of the constitution is garbage...freedom of speech? no way not if it hurts muslims feelings . we must NEVER allow any criticism of islam after all they only cut off peoples arms and legs and subjugate and stone women to death as slowly as possible cause god tells them to

August 29, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  17. SR

This is JUST TERRIBLE!!!! I guess associating Muslims with terrorism is the "new thing" to do in America. The whole Ground Zero Mosque has just been blown out of proportion, and look at what it has done (such as in this story). What if I wanted to open a Muslim Cuisine Shop in New York City? People wouldn't care. What if I wanted to open a Islamic-themed clothing store in NYC? People wouldn't care. But if I wanted to open a peaceful, Islamic place of worship, people suddenly enter a state of chaos. And now this has become a political hot topic for the upcoming election!?! Jeez people...

August 29, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
    • merkong

Are you completely oblivious? Islam is not peaceful and Muslims build a victory mosque where they have a victory (hence the name because you are apparently stupid)...

August 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm |
    • maxx013us

@ merkong Get over your ignorance and see the facts muslim americans are not celebrating the attack but the prularity of our secular society.

August 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
    • windrider2

That's because Americans are appallingly about Islam in general, and are preconditioned to bigotry by decades of racist portrayals of Muslims (mostly Arab) in the news and entertainment industries. Every cartoon, every movie, every Muslim, every Arab was a caricature of a human being, year after year after year.

The average American would fail the most elementary logic test. Some Muslims flew planes into the WTC and Pentagon. Therefore, all Muslims are terrorists. That's as logical as the Christian Timothy McVeigh blew up a federal building and killed many children. Therefore all Christians are terrorists. If you direct their own logic at them in terms of Christian terrorists, they recognize the illogic but have no problem whatsoever painting all Muslims with the same broad paint strokes of the relatively small number of so-called Islamic extremists who've hijacked Islam for their own political and military ambitions.

And when media idols high up in the hierarchy, like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, spew out their ignorant, false and bigoted views day in and day out, it reinforces what non-Muslim Americans WANT to believe: that all Muslims are terrorists. Because they're too lazy to actually think about it, explore it, actually get to know some real Muslims; bigotry is always just easier, especially when it's so heavily reinforced politically and culturally as it is in America.

August 29, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

Merkong is absolutely right. Read up on the history of Islam. Putting up a mosque is not a religious endeavor; it's a political one.

Islam is not a religion; it's a political system, and we're being sucked into it.

August 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
    • sandy ruffin

People are simply getting more intolerant worldwide, the mosque should be built om freedom of Religion LAW; The 14th Amendment – period.

August 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
    • James

I'm backing Merkong on this too. Islam (FROM ITS INCEPTION) has been about RAPING (kids even and even in present today), KILLING (just read about people getting stoned for not marrying who their parents told them too), and more killing (see the daily news). They talk religious tolerance (their koran calls for death to those who speak negative of Muhammed). Their Koran even preaches deceit (to be friends with your enemies until they are weak enough to overpower with sharia law). I read your comments and am ashamed. You people forget 9/11, you forget Palestinians dancing in the streets at the sight of dead Americans, you forget everything in history that has resulted from Islam. More importantly, you defend a religion that you HAVENT EVEN LOOKED INTO, your defense of islam is no different than defending the skinhead racists calling for death to blacks to Jews. OBTW, you know that muslims believe that one day Jews will hide behind bushes and the bushes will speak to the muslims telling them to kill the Jew, and they will. I'm not lying here. JUST RESEARCH these peoples belief you invite into our country with open arms.

August 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
    • reACTIONarry

I have several Islamic friends, and a few who work with me. Young Muslims are my son's friends at high school. The ignorance, hatred and bigotry displayed here is appalling. America was built on freedom and freedom of religion is our FIRST freedom!

August 29, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
    • Anonamoose

yeah, Christians have never raped anyone. Except priests raping small boys. Oh, and soldiers raping women in conquered coun tries, oh, and Christian cults marrying 13 yr olds off to cult leaders in TEXAS and UTAH. Christians, you have now committed an act of DOMESTIC TERRORISM. You kill doctors performing legal medical procedures. You do it all in the name of JESUS. And JESUS ORDERED YOU NOT TO HURT PEOPLE. HE TOLD YOU TO YOU TO LOVE EACH OTHER, INCLUDING YOUR ENEMIES, TO GIVE THE SHIRTS OFF YOUR BACKS. But NEO-CHRISTIANS are only interesting in accumulating personal wealth and feeling good at the expense of others. What a lame religion.

August 29, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
    • debra

Have you ever noticed when this country is in deep do-do, the govt ALWAYS starts some crap just to try to steer people in the opposite direction. They can take their pick:
      1. Terror alerts (you can use any color according to how deep the do-do is).
      2. Gay marriage.
      3. Fake illnesses (i.e. bird flu, pig flu, whatever the disease du jour).
      4. Raise the price of gasoline.
      5. Mosques.
      In two weeks it will be something else. In the meantime, the economy is worse that I have ever seen it in my lifetime. The govt is backpeddling as fast as they can to avoid saying "depression", but I hate to tell you, it is not going to get any better. We have no jobs and won't have; everyone cannot work at McDonalds and Walmart. From the feds to the local govts, we are in Deep Shite Arkansas and the govt/media will continue to try to cover it up with something else.

August 29, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
    • Author

What the hell is a "Muslim cuisine shop" or an "Islam-themes clothing store?" Have you seen what they wear? I guess you'd do as much business as a trashbag store...

August 30, 2010 at 12:09 am |
  18. Madelyn

I have to say, I'm ashamed to be from Tennessee after reading this article.

August 29, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
    • Mike

I would be ashamed if I were from Tennessee too. Then again, I'm from Texas. Who am I to talk?

Tewrobert, When did Madelyn said it is ok to blow up our troops? Stop being so stupid. Timothy McVeigh was a registered Republcian, NRA member, and believed like Reagan that "government was the problem". So he blew up a federal building and killed 168 Americans? Are all white conservative Republicans terrorists?

August 29, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
    • Kate

@Tewrobert

I'm sorry, but for the life of me I missed you showing your support for our troops in the thread about the WBC pepper spraying by condemning those Christians who dishonor the memories of our fallen heroes on a daily basis.

Just sayin'

August 29, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
    • Brandon

I love being from Tennessee.

August 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm |
    • GodIsForImbeciles

You should never be ashamed to be from Tennessee. You should be ashamed to be an idiot who can't see what's going on in this country right under your nose.

August 29, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
    • sandy ruffin

The 14th Amendment should stand strong, this just heightens all racism!

August 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
    • Dawn Ada, Ohio

Madelyn don't be ashamed of TN be fearful of the wackjobs that populate pockets of this country and posts on this site. Our Founding Fathers would be ashamed to have constituents who go against our Constitution. They can't see that their hate and ignorance feeds the fire of terrorism and they are doing exactly what the terrorists wanted them to do. The terrorists wanted the World to see Americans as hate mongering idiots and some moron from TN fell right into that trap. It is the job of people like you to speak out against things like this. It is responsible citizen's duty to call racists out and to not let ignorant comments slide when ignorant people utter them. The ignorant idiot faction of this Country are way too comfortable and it is our job to make them uncomfortable. Keep speaking up. Keep bringing racists and bigots to the light of day, so they can eventually climb back under the rocks they crawled from.

August 29, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
    • reACTIONarry

So who in TN blew up our troops? Answer, no one. Peaceful Americans should be left alone to practice the religion of their choice.

August 29, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
    • Nunya

You weren't ALREADY ashamed? LOL.

August 29, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
    • AwesomeBob

I drove through tennessee once. I didn't notice though until I was in North Carolina.

August 30, 2010 at 1:15 am |
    • John Helen

That is sad that you are ashamed of being from Tennessee. One solution for your delima would be to move to Afghanistan and live in a dusty cave on the side of a mountain so you can be proud somewhere. Americans are not sensitive and even hostile towards the muslim people without reason, you need to put yourself in the shoes of the people affected by radical muslims. Plus, how do you not know there is some inner devious plot targeting america? The muslims want sympathy, and our 'totaly christan' president is giving them unbelivable amounts.

August 30, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  19. Stephen G

So two churches in Lake Los Angeles, CA get torched (one got hit two nights in a row), and nobody knows. But some truck in a empty lot that will someday be a mosque gets torched and it is national news. Sheesh.

August 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
    • Tewrobert

Ni kidding, Obamay will probably guild them all A new mosque now with OUR money. He has already paid 100's of thousands of dollars to rebuild mosques around the world,
      See whats coming?? But he is a Christian

August 29, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
    • Mike

No Tewrobert. It was Bush and YOU who have funded islamic terrorist mosques! Why? Because you support right-wing, tradtiional values, religion in government, socially conservative views. See how easy it is to make things up? Stop lying!

Well wait a minute. You actually do support right-wing, tradtional values, religion in government, socially conservative policies don't you? What do you think of feminists and atheists? Do you hate them just like terrorists do?

August 29, 2010 at 9:20 pm |
    • Phoebe

The FBI and the ATF investigate every church fire as a matter of policy.

August 29, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
    • merkong

not exactly the world trade center but a good start...

August 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
    • kapechi

That is because NObama touts "separation of church and state" but when it comes to his father's Islamic cohorts, he doesn't seem to want to separate "mosque" and state. I was disgusted to see those Muslims in MY White House celebrating their religion on STATE property, with a Muslim President proclaiming his joy at the Muslim Mosque in NYC. Absolutely disgusting. No respect for Christians, Jews or 911 victims.

August 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
    • Robert

What is the big deal all your grandchildren will be Muslim

August 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
    • satlc

@kapechi you are completely ignorant of anything truthful aren't you? First off Obama is a christian...probably more of one than you would ever hope to be...what a disgrace you and those like you are to anyone who believes in humanity or equality or what is good for all.

August 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
    • Jeff

@kapechi: For you information, G.W. Bush had a Ramadan celebration at the White House every single year he was president. There are also Jewish and Christian events at the White House. It may surprise you, but there are Muslims who are American and who have as much right to worship in the United States as any other American, including Christians.

August 29, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
    • reACTIONarry

Sorry, kapechi, but it ain't YOUR white house, its AMERICA's white house... and that includes American Muslims. If the pres. is going to break bread with one religious group, he should (and does) do the same with all. Keep your disgusting hatred to yourself.

August 29, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
    • leciat

well of course not that wouldn't play into the medias propaganda that americans are ignorant islamophobics who must be enlightened by islam as the fact that, according to the fbi, 67% of hate crimes are committed against jews

August 29, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
    • Tiger37229

Your comment is so devoid of any common sense it's a wonder you had the wherewithal to write it in the first place...

August 30, 2010 at 12:07 am |
    • Kate

@Mark

So I take it you'll be signing up for the Corps at your earliest convenience then.

Just sayin'

August 30, 2010 at 1:20 am |
    • Jeff

A Pastor at a Mormon church in Cali was gunned today....where is the FBI and The ATF

August 30, 2010 at 2:22 am |
    • flimflam74

so you're all ok with the mosque inside the pentagon then? or do you want to burn that one down as well mark?

August 30, 2010 at 2:35 am |
    • William Munny

Of course it is, Obama is done vacationing.........
      It will be found to be intentionally set..... They will will cry Racism ............... White Christians will be implicated and reported in Arab news ....... Its all there plan .................... To ripe apart this country from the inside and call us violent people.

August 30, 2010 at 4:13 am |
    • Brenda

People are assuming this is a "crime against the muslims" and CNN (with its uber-liberal reporters) are going along with it. How do we know it wasn't just a bunch of drunk kids?? We have no idea because we haven't caught the individuals responsible. Of course everyone is JUST SPECULATING BECAUSE WE DO NOT KNOW and CNN is happy to report on the poor little muslim woman who is telling us the chiildren are so upset.......which of course fits with CNN's theory that America is Evil. This is GARBAGE REPORTING.

August 30, 2010 at 4:39 am |
    • John Tamalavage

Stephen, who? Do you know anything at all about the History of Christianity? The corrupt and decadent papal States, Martin Luther and the 100 year war, the inquisition, the Crusades, the mindless barbarism of the German Nazi State composed of Lutherans, Catholics and unfortunately Jews, wake up man you believe in Glenn Beck and hate. You do not believe in Abraham Lincoln who called for peace and reconciliation after a bloody Civil War, where Christians killed Christians.

August 30, 2010 at 5:35 am |
    • John Tamalavage

Do you know anything about the Middle East and the barbarism of England and how it conquered and divided ethnic groups and the tried to put them together into a Anglo/American Country which did not exist. Our CIA corrupted of course formerly OSS. These people you call Muslims have real beliefs, they pray, they fast, they do not drink and they believe Muhammad is a prophet along with Abraham and Jesus Christ . If England in its ultimate arrogance would have "put you in camps" what would you feel about the English and the American Oil Companies that quickly followed, of course the main player was BP. Then England's power waned and the CIA put into place a "corrupt" Shah of Iran. England and America taught the Muslims hate, don't blame their faith in their version of God. Do you personally know God?

August 30, 2010 at 6:01 am |
    • Chaos

You wanted the NYC story to be national news and get attention and now you complain that it and its repercussions are getting attention. That tells us much about you.

August 30, 2010 at 7:11 am |
    • John

@Brenda

We're assuming it's a crime against Muslims because we're not idiots.

This is the same mosque that was on The Daily Show last week, I bet the mosque opposition was so ticked off that they looked like such idiots that they decided to step it up a notch.

August 30, 2010 at 7:15 am |
  20. JB

Unbelievable. A cult? Aren't we supposed to accept people despite their differences in America? I'm embarrassed to be raised under this generation.

August 29, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
    • Chris

All religions are glorified cults, the LT. governor was right on the money, however unintentional his statement was.

August 29, 2010 at 9:02 pm |
    • merkong

the get the hell out you weirdo...

August 29, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
    • Marc

Enough is enough – the homegrown terrorists and those who support them, even DEMONSTRATING in support of hate should be incarcerated in GITMO, suffer rendition, be waterboarded....and then, just perhaps, they'll begin to understand that their extremist views, CONSERVATIVE views, drive terrorism. Yeah – I'm talking to you. You aren't in any majority, and you never will be.

August 29, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
    • Pat

If any so-called "christians" are associated with this incident......do you wonder why your state is being decimated by the powers of nature........with no "ark" in sight..............?

August 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
    • satlc

what is funny is that no matter what the religious belief ....it is a cult...christians, jews and muslims are part of the worst cult on the planet...those three religions have destroyed countless people through the ages...and countless more will be destroyed in the future because of the perversion that is their belief...it is the disease of humanity that is most costly...no plague is worse than these three mental plagues...none.

August 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
    • reACTIONarry

Right on JB! Peaceful Americans should be left alone to practice their religion as they see fit. The yahoos who vilify American Muslims are the same yahoos who complain that the government does not respect the constitution. Let's see, Amendment one of ten, freedom of what? Oh, gee, freedom of religion!

August 29, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
    • debra

Turnabout is fair play.....Ramsey, you could say the very same thing about Christianity.

August 29, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
    • Author

Hey Pat, you freaking idiot. We had one flood, and you can't even ever tell it was there. Decimated by the powers of nature, my ass.

August 30, 2010 at 12:06 am |
    • Doug

Are you kidding me here.. They cast the first stone..

August 30, 2010 at 12:51 am |