August 30th, 2010
02:02 PM ET
U.S. Muslims launch ad to fight 'fear-mongering'
A doctor. A cop. A little girl. A Phillies fan.
They're all Muslims. And, they emphasize in a new online commercial that begins appearing this week, they're all Americans.
"I don't want to take over this country," the dozen-plus speakers say in the public service announcement. "I don't support terrorism."
The online video is an effort to fight back against "the rising tide of fear-mongering" resulting from plans to build a Muslim community center in lower Manhattan in New York, the group behind it said.
Watch the video here.
About this blog
The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives. It's edited by CNN's Daniel Burke with contributions from Eric Marrapodi and CNN's worldwide news gathering team.
I am an atheist. I consider all religions to be equally implausible but I also support the freedom of religion. People should be able to live in whatever way they choose, unless it inhibits someone elses ability to do the same, thus I support their efforts.
Kate – what I fear is that the building will go up and then be destroyed. That way it plays into the hands of AQ which might have been the plan all along.
@Mark from Middle River
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
They teach us something right from the start of training – it's better to try and fail than to let the fear of failure stop you from trying to begin with.
Terrorism is the application of fear – if we let fear stop us from trying, then AQ wins, we lose. It's that simple. Do we have the courage to try, or should we just throw in the towel?
I urge everyone to visit this site to clear their misconceptions about Islam.
I can fully understand where the protesters are coming from. I can also sympathize and understand why they are asking that the mosque not be placed in such close vacinity to the twin towers. Its not a question of rights, no one is saying its illegal to build it there but what is is is a question of understanding and tact. Muslims are expecting all Americans to be their usual democratic selves and allow them to put the Mosque in a very sacred place, a place where many innocent people lost their lives at the hands of islamic extremists. I think this time another ethnic group needs to be the tolerant and sensitive ones. Why is it so important to them it have it put there? Is it wrong to ask them to reconsider their decision to allow others peace of mind. Its no different than if the Koreans came to pearl harbor and built a giant shrine, if they really pushed it they could possibly get their way, after all it is America, but why would they?
One of the things AQ has always used is the US presence in KSA, it's long been one of their complaints. They also stress to their recruits that the US is the enemy of Islam and is intent on destroying Islam, turning Muslim countries into Christian ones – saying it's the Crusades all over.
They play other games to recruit and radicalize, but in context those ones are important.
Some people have been calling this a "Victory Mosque", and they're right I think, just not in the way they think. The whole center, *precisely* because of where it is proposed to be located, is a symbol of victory – but not for Islam, rather victory for the US.
It will cut right into the heart of AQ and their propaganda, because it will be an example that the US is *not* trying to destroy Islam, than all faiths truly are celebrated and allowed here. It's a slap in the face of AQ's entire corrupt philosophy and propaganda, because it *directly* contradicts the stories AQ spreads.
Park51 is bin Laden's nightmare – it's proof that he has failed to turn us against our own standards and honor, it demolishes his arguments that persuade Islamic youth to take up arms against the US.
But you highlight the reverse problem – there are some in the US who are using the *same* tactics to radicalize others – radicalize Americans. Those people are doing the same thing AQ does, and in doing so they're just doing AQs job for them. In that respect, Park51 is also a victory against those who want nothing more than to arm an angry populace for political goals, on either side, Christian or Muslim.
It's important because it's a symbol, that cuts deep into the message extremists on both sides spread. This is America – not the AQ version of America, not the WBC version of America, but *America*.
It isn't about tolerance, or sensitivity – although I hate that the events of 9/11, and the pain of those who survived, and the families of those who didn't, have once more been hijacked by others to further their own political goals – it's about doing the right thing because it *is* the right thing.
If that makes sense?
You echo many Americans I know. Please keep in mind that a Mosque (not a community center) but full blown Mosque was there before and after 9/11. Americans reaction to the mosque only shows me, those terrosits won. they changed America's view of Islam and Muslims and our way of life. Way to go America ya let them win. This is still an awesome message about Muslims.
One more time,
What drove the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means. Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed. Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein. Until then, no male Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere.
"one more time"
After seeing the dame cut and paste jobs over and over ..... I will quote what the senator from south Carolina said .......
And what is untruthful about the list of koranic-driven atrocities?
The "one more time" part was the lie. As long as you can control-c , control-v then it is a lie when you say "one more time"
What you post is just the same thing over and over. I think it is because you can not frame an arguement using your own words.
Oh and so you illiberals can understand one more thing...there's a difference between an Arab, for whom I have respect, and a muslim, who is the enemy of freedom. I'll let you figure that out if you can.
Plenty of Arabs are Muslim so, that means, you only give them half of your respect?
Or maybe you're saying something like you can respect Americans, because they love freedom, but not Christians, because they hate freedom? Am I catching your meaning?
Well to all you retarded illiberals try searching for government funding mosques. Guess what boys and girls....the Feds are sending out our tax dollars to build mosques. Funny they don't do this for Christian churches, especially the one decimated on 9/11. So much for you separation of church and state. The feds want to promote a hate filled, women beating, inhumane religion and make it the primary control mechanism to enslave this world and YOU are paying for it.
No I'm not a republican, neo-con and have run Bush into the ground because he's an idiot and his family has been in bed with the muslims for a long time. His grandfather, Prescott was a Nazi sympathizer (look up General Smedley Butler) and wanted to lead a coup against our government.
But you sheep following around your Obama need to know he's no different. He's just more intelligent than Bush but takes his order from the same puppet masters. Islam is a violent, political ideology that talks about peace to infiltrate a society but when there numbers are in their favor they will turn on you like a pack of rabid wolves and demand your service or behead you as an infidel. Deerborne MI is a prime example of the invasion of Sharia law in this country and it is high time we expel these foreign invaders by any means necessary.
And if you think it's all hype or fear mongering, just wait. When your wives and daughters are taken from you, sold into sex slavery and your allegiance is demanded you will have wished you had grown a spine and done something about it, but instead you will be forced to worship the devil....err Allah. Take a long look at Muslim nations and see how they treat their women, foreigners and non-muslims. Of course, that might take a little effort and I know how illiberals like to stick their head in the ground and pretend there is nothing going on.
I still think this is a beautiful statement by Muslims. I also like that with all this nonsense going on in the media about Islam and American Muslims we are showing those who pay attention that true Muslims are non-violent even as we get stabbed, ridiculed and fires set to prevent Mosques being built around the nation. In fact when was the last time we heard a story about a regular Muslim who acted violently toward someone. I'm not speaking about the wannabemuslims/terrosts but just an average American who happens to be Muslim who stabbed someone for being Christian, or set fire to the work vehicles building a temple. ... ... ... Interesting.
How about a commercial where the imam of the newly propose mosque. Calls Hezbollah a terrorist organization? Or that the new mosque is not a victory memorial? Or condemns the attacks of 9-11. I don't have an issue against Muslims, just the ones trying to build the new mosque in NY
@Mike:While that might be a good idea, it seems wrong to ask these people to run a tv ad for every single lie told about them. And I doubt it would convince the ones who are making up the lies. They would just make up new ones to further their own agenda.
Frogist, can you name your sources behind your statement?
Yep, the more you protest against lies the more your critics see this as an attempt to cover something up. Just ask Obama how well speaking out against lies actually works. Like you tell kids in school, it's sometimes best not to react to bullies.
@Kate – It may be semantics but at the same time it wasn't until I got the chance to know and work with a few Muslims that I discovered that they are not all the same but that there was this sorts line of distinction with some of them.
There were some that we happy to say yes they were American citizens but at the end of the day they regressed back to the Muslim community and did seem to not want to have anything to do with the greater American society. Almost the same as the Amish.
In some ways I think that many feel that to some Muslims that to be an American is no different than joining a club.
@ Mark: My husband's Italian-American family are much the same way. They are happy to say they are citizens, but when it comes down to it, it's all about the Italian heritage. Which part of Italy each of them came from, which Catholic church they think is best, which kind of Italian cooks the best lasagna... etc etc They are glad to isolate themselves among their own kind. But I don't count this as them retreating from being American. This is just where they go to feel special and unique. And it's not necessarily divisive since it isn't agression per se. I think the difference between Italians and Muslims is that at this point in time, muslims are being villified and threatened. In that situation, it's no wonder they would revert to a safe haven of their own families or communities.
@Mark from Middle River
We have Chinatown, Little Italy, Little Kiev – lots of groups have consolidated into their own world – some groups even set up entire townships devoted to just their group, ethnic or religious.
We don't see the same "You must be absorbed" attitude with those groups – at most you get "You must a55imilate" – so why the difference? And at risk of delving into chicken and egg, given the way things have been positioned in recent years, and the attitudes of some, can you blame communities *recently* of withdrawing inwards?
It's still got to be give and take on both sides – it takes willingness from both sides to make it work.
It wasn't so long ago that the common image of an Italian-American was that of Mafia criminal. The Irish were also vilified for lots of reasons including terrorism. Latinos are currently also under an umbrella of suspicion. Maybe a lot of this is just a function of Muslims being a relatively new, visible minority. Give them a few more decades and Americans will have shifted their suspicions to another group. I'm betting on the Canadians!
Saladin – your statement of being citzens I think might be one of the major issues. The context that there is a differance between being a citizen and being a member of the American society. The standoff'ish way that many feel from Muslims is that they are happy to be live and work in America but seem to view those who are not Muslim as being less than or not worthy or equal to Muslims.
If just being citizens is what a good amount of Muslims want then when something happens the municipal police and ems will be there for you. But the outpouring of societal concern and respect can be there but at a cost. The cost is that until the majority of Muslims make that jump all the public service commericals are pretty worthless.
@Mark from Middle River
I think you're arguing semantics there. There's nothing that says "citizens" meant just having a US passport.
I think it's a fantastic video. It shows the diversity of Muslims and that we really are just a part of the community. We're citizens and proud of it. We want the same things-better education, lower crime, more jobs, the chance to be who we are. Insh'Allah, this message will reach all who need to hear it.
This is beautiful, though I doubt it will get anything through the intended audience. Those hate-mongers thrive on spreading lies and twisting truths around so that their view is right. Ignorance is bliss and they will never see the truth of anything that frightens them. "reality" mentions nothing but terrorists, which Islam has clearly stated is not Muslim and anyone Muslim or non-Muslim who commits terrorism is a friend of hell, but they will still argue that. There's nothing that any Muslim can do to change their minds, heck why would they give up their bliss. This is why I will suppoprt and promote these positive messages but at the end of the day I will simply do the Muslim thing and LOVE everyone. Including the hate-mongers and ignorant.
Can I recomend that you start with Reality who post right here. AmericanBorn this is a choice opprotunity to address some one that has issues with not only Muslims but pretty much all people of faith.
Chances are all you will get are replys that are cut and pasted words of someone else but it's worth a shot.
It may not reach the hate-mongers, but it may still reach those who are ambivalent. A large population in the US doesn't know what to think about Muslims. They hear the over-blown hate speech, but don't know what to make of it. They don't know any Muslims personally.
Maybe this will demonstrate that Muslims are just like everyone else. To quote Shakespeare: "Hath not a Jew eyes?"
The following koranic-driven acts of terror are lies and twisted truths????
1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured
1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh
2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured
3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 97,172 – 106,047 Iraqi civilians killed as of 8/10/2010 mostly by Shiite and Sunni suicided bombers.
4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.
5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.
6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.
7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.
8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.
9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.
10) Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,116 killed in action, 902killed in non-combat situations as of 08/10/2010. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians have been killed by the koranic-driven Taliban.
11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.
12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.
13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,
14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations
15) Followed by the daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings every day in the terror world of Islam.
Then there are these elements of our seventy-year War on Terror and Aggression:
-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 97,172 – 106,047 Iraqi civilians killed as of 8/10/2010 mostly due the Shiite and Sunni suicide bombers.
– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,116 killed in action, 902 killed in non-combat situations as of 08/10/2010. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,
– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.
– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)
– Libya has become almost civil. Recently Libya agreed to pay $1.5 billion to the victims of their terrorist activities. Apparently this new reality from an Islamic country has upset OBL and his “cra-zies” as they have thre-atened Libya. OBL sure is a di-sgrace to the world especially the Moslem world!!! Or is he???
– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.
– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.
– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!
– Bin La-d-en has been cornered under a rock in Western Pakistan since 9/11.
– Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols will follow soon.
– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.
– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.
– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
– The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.
– And of course the bloody terror brought about the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.
@ AmericanBorn & Mark: Having tangled with Reality before, I have to confirm Mark's words. Don't bother with him. He is not here for debate or understanding.
Islam – 101
. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.
This agenda continues as shown by the massacre in Mumbai, the assassinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Filipino “koranics” and the Ft. Hood "nut-job".
And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.
The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.
I think whichever website you're pasting from, the writer is in serious need of medication
HHmm, crusades, spanish inquisition, 99% of the crime committed in the US. Was'n't that led by good christians?
The Muslims say in their commercial: "I don't want to take over this country," the dozen-plus speakers say in the public service announcement."
I wish the Religious Right would make a similar statement on television.
But then they couldn't explain away why they support the WBC with their silence ...
These Muslims do not concern me. The only Muslims that concern me are the ones who follow the teachings of Muhammad. The Islam I am opposing is the Islam of the Prophet Muhammad and what he taught in Quran.
Yeah. I feel the same way about Christians. Not all of them bother me, just the ones who read the Bible and fllow that Christ guy. Wait, what?
I liked the video and shared it on my Facebook. It's only a small thing but I'm glad to do anything to stem the tide of intolerance in this country.