home
RSS
August 31st, 2010

Satanists book OKC convention center

Officials confirmed that the Oklahoma City Civic Center has been booked by a group proclaiming themselves to be Satanists.

The Church of the IV Majesties posted an event to meetup.com announcing a Satanic ritual to be performed at the Civic Center on Oct. 21.

According to the posting, "This is a church for any Satanist (modern or traditional) or anyone who is interested in Satanism. All members of the Left-Hand Path are welcome. Do (sic) to the nature of our religion and the herd's view of it, this site will remain private as to protect our members. For now, this church is for all things LHP. So, welcome witches and warlocks, answer the call of your Darkness."

Read the full story

- cmccloy

Filed under: Satanism

1. Reality

No city in the U.S. has more pagan (satanic?) practitioners of these traditions than New Orleans. On the night the hurricane was due to hit, I (Starhawk) made a ri-tual with a small group of friends to support the spiritual efforts that I knew were being made by pr-iest-esses of O-ya all over the country. We were in Cra-wford, Texas, at Camp Ca-sey, where Gold Star mother Cin-dy Sh-ee-han, whose son was killed in Iraq, camped near Bush’s ranch to confront Bush with the pai-nful reality of the deaths his policies have caused. Many of the supp-orters there were from New Orleans, worried about their homes, their friends and families. The overall cul-ture of the camp was very Christian—we found no natural opening for public Pa-gan r-itual, although a nu-mber of people did indicate to me quietly that they were one of us. But our little group gathered by the road-side, c-ast a circle, cha-nted and prayed.

September 1, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  2. Reality

From Star-hawk: The Pa-gan Pat Rob-ertson

The forms and names we put on Goddesses, Gods, and Powers help translate those forces into terms our human minds can grasp. And so the Yo-ru-ba based traditions that o-riginate in West Africa have given the name O-ya to the whirlwind, the hurricane, to those great powers of sudden change and destruction. Santeria, cando-mble, luc-umi, vou-doun, all include O-ya in some form as a major or-isha, a Great Power. Offerings are made to her, ceremonies done in her behalf, prie-stesses dance themselves into tra-nce possession so that she can co-mmunicate with directly with the human community.

September 1, 2010 at 11:20 am |
    • Tz2u

I often wondered what became of all those theology students who really loved studying theology. Now I know of one. 😛

September 1, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  3. Reality

Star-hawk: The Pa-gan Pat Rob-ertson

No city in the U.S. has more practitioners of these traditions than New Orleans. On the night the hurricane was due to hit, I made a ri-tual with a small group of friends to support the spiritual efforts that I knew were being made by priestesses of O-ya all over the country. We were in Crawford, Texas, at Camp Casey, where Gold Star mother Cindy Sh-eehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, camped near Bush’s ranch to confront Bush with the painful reality of the deaths his policies have caused. Many of the supp-orters there were from New Orleans, worried about their homes, their friends and families. The overall cul-ture of the camp was very Christian—we found no natural opening for public Pa-gan r-itual, although a number of people did indicate to me quietly that they were one of us. But our little group gathered by the roadside, c-ast a circle, cha-nted and prayed.

We prayed, speaking per-sonally in the way humans do: Please, M-ama, we know what a mess we’ve made, but if there is any way to m-itigate the death and the destruction, to lessen it slightly, please do. That same night Christians were praying and O-ri-sha pri-estesses were working O-ya, and the hurricane did shift its course, slightly, and lessened its force, down to a Category Four.

And New Orleans survived. Not without loss, and death, but without the massive flooding and destruction that was feared. We all breathed a sigh of relief.

Robertson, of course, infamously claimed that through prayer he prevented Hurricane Gloria from striking Florida in 1985. In co-ntrast, Star-hawk’s ac-co-mplishments seem a bit und-erwhelming. – Brian Carnell

September 1, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  4. TacTic

The only reason they "booked" the center was for publicity. If they were serious about worshiping a "Satan" they would not advertise it anywhere or maybe they would "book" a church and then "defile" the church.
    They are wasting their money and their time. If they want to follow the "father of lies and murder" they should become Catholic.

September 1, 2010 at 11:11 am |
    • NL

Funny, when I was a Catholic we use to say the exact same thing about followers of Robertson, Falwell, Graham, Chick, Hinn, ...
      Maybe that explains how, exactly, you would know how to be serious about worshiping "Satan."

September 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
    • David Johnson

@NL

Yes, Chick Tracts! We had a fellow at work, that use to leave those on everyone's desk. LOL

September 2, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  5. NEON whip

@onenamewhosnamemeansbelovedgod

does he turn people into stone?

September 1, 2010 at 9:33 am |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

No–but maybe a newt. };>

September 1, 2010 at 8:43 pm |
  6. FYI

@David Johnson
    Lol David, look at these, then you will not feel inconsistent hehe!

alluringalura

What a bunch of utter morons. First of all there are no such things as warlocks. And I, being a Witch (ahhhh! But there are such things as witches! Question is..are you a good witch or a bad witch? 🙂

One Whose Name Means Beloved of God (and has a husband who is a witch! Yikes! lol)

1) my husband is a witch
    And finally, we have the great copy and paster Reality who says:

Reality

Try tellin that to that fella behind the Devil mask on the news show,lol! Btw..Santa 'Clause"...is doing some good then,huh? LOL!

September 1, 2010 at 8:50 am |
    • David Johnson

Thanks, I needed that!

September 1, 2010 at 8:54 am |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

What I want to know is – just how are you going to handle the second step? 🙂

Just ... laughin'

September 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

I didn't say of which God I am beloved... };>

(ha! witch God...)

September 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
    • Kate

@One whose name

For that, you should be locked in a very small room with Reality for an hour

Just sayin' 🙂

September 1, 2010 at 9:46 pm |
  7. FYI

@David Johnson

But, why on earth would you worship Satan?

David, you never cease to amaze...but keep it up, I am still enjoying that "other"side of you! LOL! Cheers 🙂

September 1, 2010 at 8:31 am |
    • Frogist

@ FYI: David's gone over to the dark side. He heard they had cookies.

September 1, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  8. TrickorTreat

I am laughing hard here...@Mikes statement:
    LOL Too Funny!!

September 1, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  9. mike

Just as silly as any other religion, they have every right to spread the hate in the name of religion as any other religion.
    Why anyone would worship Satan, I don't know, read the satanic bible sometime. All that most people know of "Satan" has been taught to us by Christians, not Satanist.
    The leader appeared on the news with a silly Devil Mask, the really helps legitimize their cause. Samhain is coming upon us next month.
    At least they’re not Muslims; they are the real “Evil Doers”... (That was a joke)

September 1, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  10. JJ

I bet these guys are real winners. I want to go just so I can have a good laugh.

September 1, 2010 at 3:37 am |
    • NL

You're thinking of people who dress up like Jedi or Klingons, right? Who can criticize anybody else's religion without looking first on their own? Wearing "Sunday Best" is just as much a costume as any other getup when compared to regular clothes.

September 1, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  11. alluringalura

What a bunch of utter morons. First of all there are no such things as warlocks. And I, being a Witch have NO devil in my religion (Wicca). It's idiots like this who misinform the world. Satanists are so because the rebel against the church. Wiccans were never part of the church. I wish someone would get it right.

August 31, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

That's what I thought. I know a few wiccans and they make as big of a point that they are not devil worshippers.

August 31, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

1) my husband is a witch so I know what you mean (though he is very lax about it)
      2) that doesn't prevent them from using the word in the same way they might use "dark priest"

August 31, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
    • Reality

September 1, 2010 at 12:02 am |
    • One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

"Mocking spells, curses, covens, black magic, witches, voodooing dolls, hoodooing the results, shadow books, maypoles,
      a horned god and a triple goddess and Gerald Gardiner et al, Wiccans and Pagans at their "best"."

Well–maypoles are very phalic–you got something against that? Horned God and Triple Goddess are little different than other gods and goddesses throughout history. As for the rest, you certainly don't have to be pagan to do any of that or vice versa. Being pagan involves a lot of self-definition.

September 1, 2010 at 8:41 pm |
  12. One Whose Name Means Beloved of God

At least the government made the right call here and actually consulted their law before granting/denying permission.

August 31, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  13. Reality

There is no Hell so therefore there is no Satan. But there is also no Santa Clause but he sure generates a lot of sales and jobs. And there sure in the hell was no physical resurrection of the simple, preacher man aka Jesus some 2000 years ago but said myth also generates a lot of sales and jobs. And said Satan surely did not tempt said Jesus in yet another part of the great Christian con job.

From: Samuel T. Lachs
    Lachs [Rabbinic Commentary on the New Testament, 50]:

The theme that a hero or holy man was to be tested before his career began or before his mission was undertaken is commonplace in the literature of antiquity. Rabbinic homilies on this theme are often based on Ps. 11.5, The Lord tests the righteous, not the wicked. The most notable example of this testing in Jewish tradition is Abraham, of whom it is stated, "With ten trials our father Abraham was tried, and he withstood them all to make known how great was the love of Abraham our father."

And in the 21st century, 1.5 million Conservative Jews and their rabbis have also thrown Abraham on the myth pile!!! Mother Nature thanks them!!!

August 31, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  14. Brenda

I just wanted to say that the last paragraph is disturbing "So, welcome witches and warlocks, answer the call of your Darkness."
    My Friend was severly abused by a group of satanists as a child. She was raped by this group, and they also kill animals. She has Multiple Personality Disorder from abuse that she took by these individuals as a child. This is not a humourous type thing of Halloween type members dressing up in costumes running around. These are people who have deviated from any type of moral behavior. Just look it up on the internet they also rape and murder children .

August 31, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  15. David Johnson

I cannot believe humans! We find anything and everything to worship.

There is no Satan. He was made up by men to account for all the nasty things in life. They found it difficult to worship a god that had just wiped out a villiage of seemingly good people. So, Satan was born!

But, why on earth would you worship Satan?

August 31, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
    • NL

"why on earth would you worship Satan?"

Well, at least he doesn't pretend to be good. 🙂

August 31, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

But, why on earth would you worship Satan?

So what you're saying is you actually discriminate in what religions you don't believe in??

Just ... stunned 🙂

August 31, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
    • peace2all

@David Johnson

I think you have 'stunned' all of us buddy with that one... 🙂

Peace....

August 31, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
    • JohnQuest

David Johnson, I expected that kinda on logic from our religious friends.

August 31, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
    • David Johnson

My good people, I am not a believer. But mostly I can understand the attraction. But why Satan? I'm sorry. I think I have found a flaw in my character...

August 31, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

Nope, just means there's hope for you yet

Just sayin'

August 31, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
    • Frogist

Come on guys. Leave him alone. Remember! The first step is admitting you have a problem.

August 31, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Frogist

My name is David Johnson and I'm inconsistent. Its been a few hours since my last act of foolishness.

August 31, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
    • Short end of the stick

@David Johnson

You misspelled "incontinent".

September 1, 2010 at 11:20 am |
    • David Johnson

@Short end of the stick

That was mean spirited! LOL

September 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

That was mean spirited

It's a thread about Satanists – you expected sweetness and light??

Just sayin' 🙂

September 1, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
    • TammyB

Probably because Satan has power, I would think, plus he's supposedly a fallen angel, so he's the other side of the coin to God. And he doesn't always ask that one be good, on the contrary, I would think bad things would be way cool with him (no pun intended). I guess there would an attraction from people who like the dark side of life, in general.

September 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
    • Frogist

@ David Johnson: I absolve you of your sin by the power of the internetz. Now take 7 bloody marys and 4 jaegermeisters and you won't remember anything in the morning.

September 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
    • Roger Cannon

I would worship Satan because I hear he gives out free, fluffy, tasty cotton candy! I think these 'Satanists' are pranksters.

October 25, 2010 at 10:09 am |
  16. Kate

Keynote speakers, Glen Beck and Sarah Palin? It's not like either of them has a reputation for turning down the fees 😛

Just sayin'

August 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
    • alluringalura

excellent!! I agree, money talks.

August 31, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
    • Jessie

Way too evil for a Satanist convention.

August 31, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  17. NL

I see they post an open invitation to warlocks and witches too. I'll bet any Christians protesting outside the event will be totally confused when the Harry Potter fan clubs don't put in an appearance.

August 31, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  18. Waldorf and Statler

What's better, a bunch of goofs pretending to be satanists or the other bunch of goofs treating all of this like following imaginary critters is real? Oh world, you are such a funny lil' place.

August 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm |
  19. Jochebed

Sure it would be better if we lived in a country without satanists, but as long as I want the government to butt out of my religion, they should have the right to meet wherever they want.

August 31, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
    • hneftafl

It would? Why? Oh yeah, that's right, it would be better if we lived in a country where everyone is of the same religion (preferably yours). I'm sorry, what was I thinking?

August 31, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  20. NL

More religious nut jobs.

August 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • lisa

So, welcome witches and warlocks, answer the call of your Darkness........Don't they know that witchcraft, ceremonial magic and satanism are different things? I mean come on its like saying Catholics , and Muslims are the same. People need a little more education.

October 25, 2010 at 12:24 am |