home
RSS
September 4th, 2010

Christian singer's mission: Helping former sex slaves

Natalie Grant apologizes for crying, but she can't help it.

She is describing meeting a woman from India who is a counselor in a village where some women have been saved from human traffickers.

The counselor knew all too well what these women went through. When she was 12 her parents took her to Mumbai for her birthday. Her brother traveled with them. When they got off the train, the woman told Grant, she was separated from her family.

Read the full story

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Christianity • Music • Sex abuse • Women

1. David Johnson

WoW! This blog is not very popular. Hmmm... Maybe if Ms. Grant took off 50 lbs or so.

Ms. Grant looks like she may have eaten one of those ~ex slave girls.

If Ms. Grant cut down on the groceries, could she send more to the ~ex slave foundation?

Does Jesus love a fatty? Did Jesus overcome the sin of gluttony?

Jesus died, so she can chow down?

Just askin'

September 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  2. Carlton

S-x sells, but helping people doesn't.
    Helping former s-x slaves using publicity mixed in with being a Christian music singer – just hurts my head.
    Now add to that the possibility that she might just be pretending to help – and I pass out from the pain.
    Thanks, CNN. I may send you my doctor bills to give you a laugh.

September 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  3. David Johnson

Remember this from a blog a couple of days ago?

"While recording the bridge of the song "Overcome" on his new album, Christian music singer Jeremy Camp says he was literally overcome."

Compare that quote to Ms.Grants: "Natalie Grant apologizes for crying, but she can't help it."

Religion, at least the Christian fundie religion, is a weepy sort of thing anyway. I submit to you, that these Christian singers use tears to endear the audience to them. To convince the audience of their sincerity.

September 4, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
    • Peter F

Interestingly enough she was crying at the situation in India and the story of the woman she spoke with... not her own beliefs or some sort of altar call.

Blessings

September 5, 2010 at 12:58 am |
    • David Johnson

Pfui! In both cases, tears were used to lubricate the fundie purse latch!

I'm watching Jimmy Swaggeart. He cries when he sells his CDs, Bibles, and assorted other crap.

The nonthinking sheep are easily fleeced. They have no gag reflex. They can swallow anything.

September 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

I have to disagree with you a little on this one ... If Peter F's interpretation is correct, then even allowing for natural cynicism about religion, you have to admit that anyone who's got even a smidgen of an idea what trafficked women (and, perversely, some men) go through would at least have to find an excuse to wipe their eyes.

I always thought Christian singers were retired crooners from the 50's whose careers went bust and were reduced to selling single tracks on "As Seen On TV" Time Life collections.

Just reminiscin'

September 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Kate

I hate the idea of anyone being a slave.

My thought, was that tears seem to figure in on all appeals for money. People do, what works. Tears bring fundie money.

You said, "Although as an aside, I read the topic and once more (as with the other post you mentioned) I go "Who?"

Sort of my point. Having a charity doesn't hurt Grant's chances of selling albums.

September 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

Tears are always good for bringing in money, everyone's been using that tactic since the invention of fundraising 🙂

September 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
    • Fast Eddie

I always look at these fund-raising things and shake my head. They are not even coming close to fixing the problems that cause the problems – but if they did the money would dry up.
      Oh, well...that's the way the fundies grumble...

September 5, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  4. David Johnson

"A portion of the proceeds from Grant's new album, "Love Revolution," will go to the Home Foundation."

I bet it's not a large portion.

"The CD is a reminder to Christians that a spiritual life is more than attending church each week."

Why, that makes it sound like it would be a sin, to not buy her CD.

Yep, so buy one and then buy another for a friend! A portion of the proceeds are going to these poor girls.

A larger portion is going to Ms.Grant. But Jesus would want it that way.

These ~ex slaves are sure good for publicity. Probably well worth that "portion" of the CD sales.

She should have some photos made of the girls looking up at her with grat itude, while she looks down on them with the love of Jesus glistening in her eyes.

LOL! LOL 'till my sides ache

September 4, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  5. David Johnson

I bet it's not a large portion.

Why, that makes it sound like it would be a sin, to not buy her CD.

A larger portion is going to Ms.Grant. But Jesus would want it that way.

She should have some photos made of the girls looking up at her with gratitude, while she looks down on them with the love of Jesus glistening in her eyes.

LOL! LOL 'till my sides ache!

September 4, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  6. David Johnson

This is the second blog, that does not have a working link to the full story. *sigh*

September 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm |