home
RSS
September 4th, 2010

Natalie Grant hopes to start 'Love Revolution'

Natalie Grant

You know why we need a love revolution? Natalie Grant will tell you.

Christians often let people know what they are against, and that needs to change, she said.

"Sometimes I think the loudest voices in the media for Christianity can be so negative," she said during a recent visit to the CNN offices in Atlanta, Georgia. "We let people know the things we don't agree with, all the things that need to be done this way or that way. But we rarely let people know what we are for."

Love Revolution, Grant's newest CD, is a call to action. The message, she says, is for believers to show the world Christ's love through the way they live.

Grant said Christians need to be reminded not only go to church, but to be the church.

The CD has two main components, she said. One comprises praise and worship songs.

"It was an intentional thing," she said. "When you are trying to inspire someone to have a love revolution they have to have a revolution of their own heart first."

The other half of the album is pop songs, which Grant has made "hip again," according to Christianity Today.

Reviews are mixed. CCMmagazine.com says Grant is "is arguably the greatest singer 'round these parts, and the songs by themselves are potent enough as it is."

Jesus freak Hideout writer Matthew Watson says: "The worship songs especially are hit-and-miss and I would have favored original tracks over covers. However, all of the upbeat songs are done particularly well and serve as the highlights of the album."

He criticizes the label for making the praise song "Greatness of Our God," the first radio single.

It's not something Grant would disagree with. She felt the track didn't set the mood for the album.

"To me it sounded like a very safe, nice Christian song, but the whole message of the album is to not be safe, to kind of push your boundaries," she said.

She said that the K-Love radio network helped her push another song, the pop-sounding "Human," written by American Idol winner Jordin Sparks, along with Jason Ingram and Dan Muckala.

"Love Revolution" debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard Christian albums chart and was No. 32 on the Billboard Top 200. This has been the best sales week of the four-time female vocalist of the year at the Dove Awards' career, a release from her publicist said.

A portion of the proceeds for the CD go to Grant charity, Home Foundation, which builds homes for the victims of sex trafficking. She told CNN that meeting the women who went through the horrors of slavery "wrecked her" and inspired her to do something to help.

Grant's interview with "Faces of Faith" will air on CNN on September 12.

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Christianity • Music

1. Sarcasmasusual

@DavidJohnson
    The times we live in. Science is making new discoveries on an almost daily basis. None of their discoveries include god.

Evolution has replaced the creation story, to explain the diversity of creatures on earth.
    Carry this to its logical conclusion: If there was no creation, there is no original sin, there was no need for a redeemer...

New theories are being developed that do not require god for the creation of the universe. I bet that stings! LOL

There has been a 2000 year wait for their redeemer to return. He promised to be back in the 1st century.

Prayer, that Jesus promised, doesn't work.

Their bible, their inerrant word of god, has errors

You haven't won anything....your "points" are as ridiculos as you are. I never thought God made mistakes, until I look at these blogs and see you bindbats wallowing in your pit of nothingness. How comical! Jack of all knowledge, Master of none.
    Your words mean nothing as well. Science is your God, lets see it save you, when the time arrives..and it will.
    Take the easy path out...no belief, means no responsibilty for your actions...have another beer and play with your shoe fairies...fools!

September 7, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  2. Fast Eddie

@Kate
    Just laughin'
    😀

September 6, 2010 at 2:26 am |
  3. peace2all

@Fast Eddie

Yeah I know, I as well have been hanging around Kate far too much too. I am talking to my friends and family now ending everything with

Just sayin' or depending on the context of the conversation, whatever happens to pop out of my mouth at the time.

As for me ending with the linguistic intangible 'peace' after my postings.... Ahhhhh Eddie you are making my brain hurt at this hour of the night on that one. 🙂

Peace......

September 6, 2010 at 1:32 am |
    • Kate

@peace2all & Fast Eddie

Aha! Now we start to see the fruits of My Devious Plan™ and your journeys to The Dark Side© have begun!

If it sets your mind at rest, I am not a scientologist, nor a jehovah's witless!

Just convertin'

September 6, 2010 at 2:19 am |
    • Fast Eddie

@peace2all

Just grinnin' at your answer...and waving. 🙂
      Give it a shot tomorrow when your brain is not hurting if you want.
      If I'm still around I'll take a look. You are not required to answer, of course.
      I am not handing out homework like "some" people... 😛
      Just a passing curiosity, me.

September 6, 2010 at 2:25 am |
    • peace2all

@Kate

Ohhhhhh you caught us Just sceemin' Ohhhhh again....D a m n you Kate and your.... "My Devious Plan"

Yes... It is workig.... Just sayin' Oh christ..... Oh, no that is Peter F and Catholic Mom's devious plan. 🙂

Peace....

September 6, 2010 at 2:25 am |
    • peace2all

@Fast Eddie

Yeah, I figured you would be.... I am just grinnin' too.. 🙂

Peace....

September 6, 2010 at 2:29 am |
  4. Monty

You know I feel sorry for some of the people that make comments that aren't even close to the article but instead talk about the uselessness of christianity and this that and the other thing when this is a religion blog... I think they don't have anything better to do than to try and slam christians about anything they possibly can when all I can do is feel sorry for you guys and pray for you

September 6, 2010 at 12:41 am |
    • Fast Eddie

@Monty

Bwahahahahaha!
      Monty, you are great! Really. I thought most of you had gone to bed, but no, here you are!
      😀

September 6, 2010 at 12:54 am |
    • peace2all

@Fast Eddie

Sorry pal..... I found him first..! 🙂

Just kiddin'

Peace.....

September 6, 2010 at 12:59 am |
    • Fast Eddie

@peace2all
      Since all I can do is laugh at Monty's post, feel free.

Since you're still up, perhaps you could explain what you mean by "peace" and why you use it at the end of most posts.
      Just curiousin' (been hanging around Kate too much)

September 6, 2010 at 1:08 am |
    • David Johnson

Why so bitter Monty? Try to be more like Peter F.

I believe he told me he is a Scientologist. Maybe you should give it a try. Audit yourself. Get those Thetans out of your brain.

At any rate, get with Peter F. He knows far more about this than I.

Cheers!

September 6, 2010 at 2:08 am |
    • peace2all

@David Johnson

LOL..!!!! Well, I had Peter F pegged as someone going through the catholic seminary.... You had him as a J. Wit, and now a Scientologist... I love it.... 🙂

He's got to be sooooo not likin' this...

Peace...

September 6, 2010 at 2:14 am |
  5. coco

Why we call it Religion?

this is a stupid mistake, it should not being called religion in the first place, it should be called, debt or, something to pay later. this is the real definition.

too many mistakes, how to live, by god's well.

September 5, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
    • David Johnson

@coco

You sound depressed. You seem concerned about paying for sins you commit now, later. Like when you die?

You should take note that I and many others, don't believe in an afterlife. We don't think you will be punished or rewarded.

If you are religious, Christians believe Jesus died for your sins. Peter F would probably love to tell you about this. I believe he is a Jehovah's Witness.

If I am off base, then just ignore my comments. I meant no harm. Cheers!

September 6, 2010 at 12:18 am |
    • Peter F

Jehovah's Witness? David, sometimes I really cannot tell when you're being serious. 🙂

Evangelical all the way, baby!

September 6, 2010 at 1:18 am |
    • Kate

@Peter F

Evangelical what? is the question ... I mean, are you Evangelical Christian, an Apple Fanboi, or use a real computer like the rest of us UNIX geeks?

Just fsckin'

(That's a UNIX joke, before anyone gets paranoid)

September 6, 2010 at 2:24 am |
  6. David Johnson

Where have all the fundies gone? Long time passing. Gone to church, everyone. Oh when will they ever learn? Oh when will they ever learn? *sigh*

September 5, 2010 at 8:52 pm |
    • Monty

Since you posted that on sunday at about 8 something they were probably getting around for church. I was just thinking why so many people commit suicide and cheat on their spouse and abandon their children and all those horrible things is because when they go through the darkest of times in their life all they see is the dark situation they are surounded by instead of the light shining down on them that is wanting them to reach out to the light. This is my 6th month of my deployment and I have seen and experience countless horrible things and I haven't had any mental problems from them like a lot of people because I have jesus in my heart and mind protecting me from the horrible things.

September 6, 2010 at 12:46 am |
    • peace2all

@Monty

I am curious.... You are on your 6th month of 'deployment'..... Are you the same Monty from the above postings who claims to fix computers all day....?

Are you a 'U.S. Soldier fixing computers somewhere all day...?

Anyway, still curious about the 'having jesus in your heart thing.'

Please explain...

Peace.....

September 6, 2010 at 12:53 am |
    • Peter F

Hey peace,

I wanted to comment on your question to Monty about Christians having Jesus in their hearts. I don't mean to put words in Monty's mouth (so Monty, you can certainly correct me) but I would first use Philippians 4 as a resource:

"4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

The love of Christ, the hope of Christ, the faith that comes in Christ are all part of why we have this "joy" that you've probably heard Christians reference before. The Word of God (Christ) came to earth, proclaimed the message, died and rose again. He has given us a reason to live that we could not have dreamed of before. I think that is where Monty is going with his statement.

September 6, 2010 at 1:07 am |
    • Peter F

Hey peace,

Nice to see other night owls on the CNN blog – unless of course you are located somewhere in Europe or Asia in which case it may not actually be nighttime... but I digress.

"4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and pet*tion, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

The love of Christ, the hope of Christ, the faith that comes in Christ are all part of why we have this "joy" that you've probably heard Christians reference before. Without Him, we are but hopeless sinners who have broken our relationship with God to satisfy our own fleeting desires. Even though we rejected Him, Christ came, loved us and taught us how to love God and others. We have been reconciled through him, and given hope everlasting. I think that is somewhere along the lines of where Monty was going with his statement.

September 6, 2010 at 1:13 am |
    • peace2all

@Peter F

Hi Peter.... I think we have had postings before.

I was going to post to David, as he had you pegged as a Jehovah's Witness.... and I thought you were in seminary studying to be a catholic priest. Maybe that was another Peter F...

Sorry, I guess we were 'both' wrong about you.

As to your posting on behalf of Monty..... in your words. Yeah....... He probably would have resorted to quoting the bible, as opposed to some kind of real and tangible example.

There was a lot of the same old reiterated christian rhetoric in your posting, and I think we have all been through this drill before. All fluff, no substance. All belief, no proof.....

Anyways Peter... getting late.. and..

Peace to you...

September 6, 2010 at 1:45 am |
    • Peter F

You asked Monty, and I answered what the Bible teaches/explains (the same basic thing I assume he would answer with). I don't know what else you were looking for.

And you are closer than David at least on what I am doing with my life. I am an evangelical Christian (currently non-denominational) beginning seminary. Nice chatting... now it's REALLY time to sleep. hehe

September 6, 2010 at 2:44 am |
    • David Johnson

@Monty

You said, "This is my 6th month of my deployment and I have seen and experience countless horrible things and I haven't had any mental problems from them like a lot of people because I have jesus in my heart and mind protecting me from the horrible things."

I thank you for defending our country. I am very grateful to our soldiers.

Kate and I more or less had this conversation. If believing in Jesus conforts and strengthens you, then I am happy for you.

Your belief, is not proof of a god.

The enemy you are fighting, is more than likely followers of Islam. They have Allah in their hearts. They would say, that Allah comforts and strengthens them.

I submit to you, that your belief in Jesus and the followers of Islam's belief in Allah is in reality a security blanket, much like the one Linus of the Peanuts comic strip, drags around. Cheers!

September 6, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Peter F

You said, "And you are closer than David at least on what I am doing with my life. I am an evangelical Christian (currently non-denominational) beginning seminary."

Why on earth did you tell me you were a Mormon? Didn't we talk about you going on a mission? You were laying in a supply of white shirts...

September 7, 2010 at 1:08 am |
    • Peter F

I think you may have had one too many beers this evening. Silly DJ

September 7, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  7. David Johnson

If the fundies were to ever offer up music as evidence for god, I don't know that I wouldn't agree. Everyone is gone and I am blogging and listening to Beethoven. Awesome!

September 5, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

I love to
      listen to
      Beethoven

Just boogyin'

September 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  8. David Johnson

Where are the fundies? Church? I thought I would get a huge response over that comment. *sigh*

September 5, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
    • Fast Eddie

@David Johnson

As an Agnostic fundie, I was eating pizza for breakfast. No church. Sorry.
      😛

September 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
    • jonathan

September 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
    • peace2all

@jonathan

LOL...!!!!!!! Now that was funny.... 🙂

Peace....

September 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
    • David Johnson

@jonathan

You said, "My fundamentals are somewhat different but can I do... I'll begin by saying Jesus is Lord.."

Jesus is the name of my gardner. I don't think he would agree.

September 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
    • Kate

OK wait ... do I need to start a poll on my site asking where people place pizza and Jesus relatively speaking in their fundamentals of life??

Just trollin'

September 5, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  9. David Johnson

Hmmm... I'm starting to feel I might be in some 12 step program...

September 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
    • Fast Eddie

@David Johnson

Better get Reality to help you with one of his "de-programming" sessions. LOL

September 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • jonathan

Do you need twelve steps before you know whether you can walk or not??? 🙂

September 5, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
    • Kate

@Davis Johnson

I thought we already noted you'd taken the first step and admitted you have a problem, and step nine where you made peace with others ... we're all still waiting to see how you plan on handling step two 🙂

Just grinnin'

September 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
    • peace2all

@David Johnson & @Kate

Not sure I have seen Dave hit step 9 yet..as you say 'making peace' with others. Yep, I want to be around to see how he handles step 2..! 🙂

Well Dave...?

Peace.......

September 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
    • Kate

@peace2all

He did! https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/03/my-own-dad-tried-to-kill-me-survivor-credits-god/#comment-99130

September 5, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
    • peace2all

@Kate

Oh.... THAT step 9.... 🙂 LOL..!

Peace....

September 5, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
    • Reality

To the rescue:

The easiest way to describe the Two-Step is to say that it is danced with four steps over six beats of music. Unfortunately, that's not the easiest way to understand, so breaking it down into individual steps and beats might help. The follow mirrors the lead's steps (so that when the lead steps forward with the left foot, the follow steps back with the right foot) and the dance is done with the two in a standard ballroom dance frame:

1.Beat 1: the lead steps forward with the left foot – this is the first "quick" step.
      2.Beat 2: the lead brings the right foot up past the left and forward for the second "quick" step.
      3.Beat 3 & 4: the lead steps forward with the left, but holds for an extra beat (hence the "slow" step).
      4.Beat 5 & 6: the right foot steps forward and holds for an extra beat, completing the basic form with the second "slow" step).
      Many people learn the dance by chanting (hopefully to themselves) "quick-quick slow, slow, quick-quick slow, slow". There are also variations of the dance that start out with a slow, slow, quick-quick pattern, but that has more to do with the fact that when the dance was first taught it was done by professional ballroom dance instructors who knew the Foxtrot. Many variations done in the Two-Step come from Foxtrot, in fact, as well as from the square dance world.

In spite of a varied history, the two-step remains one of the most popular dance forms out there today.

September 5, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
    • peace2all

@Reality

Very good Reality..... I got a good chuckle out of that one... 🙂 Thank you...

Of course, unless you were serious.... then .... I would still get a good chuckle anyway..

Hope that you are well...

Peace.....

September 5, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  10. Fast Eddie

@David Johnson

Kate has something there. What religion should we consider? The Way of the Shoe?

September 5, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
    • David Johnson

The thing that makes me sad, is that we don't get more Mormons and Scientology advocates. I love to goof on what they hold as sacred...

September 5, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
    • jonathan

and did you consider that they are not interested in this thread..but I am here...warning my defense is my offence so watch out!!
      🙂 🙂

September 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  11. David Johnson

You asked, "who is stirring them up into such a rage that we see and hear? and why?"

Prayer, that Jesus promised, doesn't work.

Their bible, their inerrant word of god, has errors.

Their religious leaders are attacking children.

Their children aren't happy in their traditional faiths.

The young don't share their hate of gays.

Church membership is dropping.

I could go on, but the bottom line is: It sucks to be a Christian fundie in this day and age.

But, I love me some the fundies!

September 4, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
    • Fast Eddie

@David Johnson

Awesome list. It's almost like (*sniff*) "God" himself were trying to tell us somethin' through you.

A miracle!
      Let the fundies rejoice!
      😀

No, seriously – that is a good list there. Thx.

September 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
    • David Johnson

I felt inspired as I typed that. LOL

September 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
    • Kate

@David Johnson

Is this where I grin and point out that since you did such a good job of debunking Christian fundies, and felt inspired as you did so, that might mean you were inspired to do so in order to get them to consider a different religion ...

Just makin' you paranoid 🙂

September 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
    • jonathan

The reason I asked the question is because I am a Christian, and I neither depend on science or anything but The Word of God and my own experience with Him..I cannot see why anything scientist say should move anyone in Christ..Nothing has been said or done that has changed my position not even a little.. I have scriptures to support my position in every way....I have found God to be faithful to perform his word..My initial experience with him has always caused me to wait....on him..he will come. My beginning with God started in John 7:38...it is other worldly ...No human being can duplicate it nor any being of any type except the one who created all flesh....You start talking to me about evolution or Creation I loose interest...I'm into now and forever..Knowing God now is knowing him forever...
      When I posted my question, it was for other Christian's who did have their pants all tied up in a wad. I wanted their explanation for all the natural human emotions which they display instead of the confidence that we should have in our Maker...A clue for you is that God waits till the end to make you know that it's him and no one else... he does that because he is Holy....he will not reveal himself to the wicked..

September 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
    • David Johnson

@jonathan

Boring.

September 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
    • BuzzMann

But is it not the wicked that need him most?

September 5, 2010 at 9:10 pm |
    • David Johnson

@BuzzMann

You asked, "But is it not the wicked that need him most?"

No, It's the non-thinking sheep that need Him most. BaaaaaaaaaaaH = Jeeeeeeeeeesus LOL

Cheers!

September 6, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  12. jonathan

I don't know about her singing; but she is right about Christians in America! So many seem to be so mad! and at what? Who? if Jesus is all that they claim him to be they should be the happiest people in the World... I mean laugh out loud happy...

Where is that in Christianity??? The most serious question I have ask is who is stirring them up into such a rage that we see and hear? and why?

September 4, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
    • Kate

@jonathan

Out of sequence reply for you ...

I don't think you'll find that many Christians on these comments will take you up on your question – not that many are all that secure in their faith, certainly not to the degree they're willing to risk exploring it for themselves to find answers to what you ask.

If you'll accept an answer from me, however, it's not "who". What you're seeing is mild despair at the state of their lives, a loss of control, a feeling of powerlessness. They have an anger from within that has no target they can actually attack, so they lash out as a community at anything that they can find to blame, rightfully or not.

It isn't who, it is the times we are in right now that causes pain. It's not so much their faith in God that has been battered to cause it, it's their faith in the world around them being stable that has fallen.

Does that make sense from one perspective?

Just offerin'

September 5, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
    • coco

a Russian girl

September 5, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
    • Peter F

Good question. It is really something worth discussing in the Christian community as a whole. To some, following Jesus is all about making, following and enforcing rules. Yes, RULES! What the heck? Living as a disciple of Christ is about living in freedom and love. Aren't they suppose to know we are Christians by our love – not by constant objections, complaints and bitter attitude? Good post, jonathan.

September 5, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
    • Peter F

Good question. It is really something worth discussing in the Christian community as a whole. To some, following Jesus is all about making, following and enforcing rules. Yes, RULES! What the heck? Living as a disciple of Christ is about living in freedom and love. Aren't they suppose to know we are Christians by our love – not by constant objections, complaints and bitter att*tude? Good post, jonathan.

September 5, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
    • Monty

I'm with you on the whole natalie grant being right. It does seem like all you see is the christians that are angry at this or that and how things should be this way instead of that and as a christian i find it very sad that this is all people see us as. and to answer your question. It is in our faith to help to show light on what isn't right and good but that is only one part of christianity. Also people show rage because nobody is perfect you will always see christians doing the wrong thing and being angry and hateful because none of us are perfect but we should try and be more like christ and not be as angry.

There are also alot of face christians.... They claim they are christians and don't even come close to living how they should and saying this is wrong and that is wrong and they hate and have rage in the name of Christians... when they don't even come close to really representing christians. You also see and hear this becuase naturally people look and notice the wrong and the anger and the hate but if somebody is just going around living their lives and they could be extremely happy but for face value they look normal. You could be surounded by great Christians and not even notice it because alot of us don't really throw it out there full force because we don't want people to feel like they will be judged because of the sterio type of christians.

At my work fixing computers and dealing with people all day every day some people are surprised on how I can stand to deal with some of the people that refuse to listen to what the problem is and don't care they just want their computer fixed and the way I am able to deal with them is because I have jesus in my heart and he helps me threw every day.

September 6, 2010 at 12:33 am |
    • peace2all

@Monty

At the end of your post..."...and the way I am able to deal with them is because I have jesus in my heart and he helps me (threw) ..(typo) i am assuming..? ..."every day."

Please explain what do you mean when you say that you have ..."jesus in your heart"..? ..... and (he)..jesus helps you through every day."..?

Peace.....